home
RSS
My Take: Are evangelicals dangerous?
Many evangelicals want to ban abortion, but does that mean they want theocracy?
October 15th, 2011

My Take: Are evangelicals dangerous?

Editor's Note: R. Albert Mohler, Jr., is president of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, the flagship school of the Southern Baptist Convention and one of the largest seminaries in the world.

By R. Albert Mohler, Jr., Special to CNN

Here we go again.

Every four years, with every new presidential election cycle, public voices sound the alarm that the evangelicals are back. What is so scary about America’s evangelical Christians?

Just a few years ago, author Kevin Phillips told intellectual elites to run for cover, claiming that well-organized evangelicals were attempting to turn America into a theocratic state. In “American Theocracy,” Phillips warned of the growing influence of Bible-believing, born-again, theologically conservative voters who were determined to create a theocracy.

Writer Michelle Goldberg, meanwhile, has warned of a new Christian nationalism, based in “dominion theology.” Chris Hedges topped that by calling conservative Christians “American fascists.”

And so-called New Atheists like Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris claim that conservative Christians are nothing less than a threat to democracy. They prescribe atheism and secularism as the antidotes.

This presidential cycle, the alarms have started earlier than usual. Ryan Lizza, profiling Rep. Michele Bachmann for The New Yorker, informed his readers that “Bachmann belongs to a generation of Christian conservatives whose views have been shaped by institutions, tracts, and leaders not commonly known to secular Americans, or even to most Christians.”

Change just a few strategic words and the same would be true of Barack Obama or any other presidential candidate. Every candidate is shaped by influences not known to all and by institutions that other Americans might find strange.

What stories like this really show is that the secular elites assume that their own institutions and leaders are normative.

The New Yorker accused Bachmann of being concerned with developing a Christian worldview, ignoring the fact that every thinking person operates out of some kind of worldview. The article treated statements about wifely submission to husbands and Christian influence in art as bizarre and bellicose.

When Rick Perry questioned the theory of evolution, Dawkins launched into full-on apoplexy, wondering aloud how anyone who questions evolution could be considered intelligent, even as polls indicate that a majority of Americans question evolution.

Bill Keller, then executive editor of The New York Times, topped all the rest by seeming to suggest that conservative Christians should be compared to those who believe in space aliens. He complained that “when it comes to the religious beliefs of our would-be presidents, we are a little squeamish about probing too aggressively.”

Really? Earlier this month, comedian Penn Jillette - a well–known atheist - wrote a very serious op-ed complaining of the political influence of “bugnut Christians,” in the pages of The Los Angeles Times, no less. Detect a pattern here?

By now, this is probably being read as a complaint against the secular elites and prominent voices in the mainstream media. It’s not.

If evangelicals intend to engage public issues and cultural concerns, we have to be ready for the scrutiny and discomfort that comes with disagreement over matters of importance. We have to risk being misunderstood - and even misrepresented - if we intend to say anything worth hearing.

Are evangelicals dangerous? Well, certainly not in the sense that more secular voices warn. The vast majority of evangelicals are not attempting to create a theocracy, or to oppose democracy.

To the contrary, evangelicals are dangerous to the secularist vision of this nation and its future precisely because we are committed to participatory democracy.

As Christians committed to the Bible, evangelicals have learned to advocate on behalf of the unborn, believing that every single human being, at every stage of development, is made in God’s image.

Evangelicals worry about the fate of marriage and the family, believing that the pattern for human relatedness set out in Scripture will lead to the greatest human flourishing.

We are deeply concerned about a host of moral and cultural issues, from how to address poverty to how to be good stewards of the earth, and on some of these there is a fairly high degree of disagreement even among us.

Above all, evangelicals are those who believe that Jesus Christ is Lord and are most concerned about telling others about Jesus. Most of America’s evangelical Christians are busy raising their children, working to support their families and investing energy in their local churches.

But over recent decades, evangelical Christians have learned that the gospel has implications for every dimension of life, including our political responsibility.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of R. Albert Mohler, Jr.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Opinion • Politics

soundoff (5,318 Responses)
  1. Kate

As an evangelical – I recognize the problems associated with evangelicals in political power. They are beyond serious, destructive even – and history bears that out. I very firmly believe in God – as a real, very powerful creator of everything we see who is in control – complete control.

The problem with many evangelicals reaching for power – they don't see God that way. It's as if they see him as a cowering child bullied by others who needs to be rescued and can't stand up for himself. They see a world where everything is a threat to God and to truth and they must battle it all and solve all the problems so that God can reach the masses.

What all this leads to is a group of people who've blurred the lines between standing strong in their own faith and coercing others to behave or believe a particular thing.

The issue is further complicated because no single Christian, or group of Christians is an intellectual match for God. None are perfect. None are capable of making all the right decisions. All are flawed humans who will make bad decisions – like any other leader. Unlike other leaders though – Christians will try to cover their butts with statements of faith. Convince themselves and others that it's "all God's will" or for the greater good. Even when it's not (and I think that's most of the time).

We've seen this in past kingdoms. We've seen it in Churches. We've seen it in ministries. It's too common to ignore.

Politics and religion were separated for a very good reason. Human beings just don't have the ability to serve both. Let's keep them separate.

October 16, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
    • Chris A.

Kate, your response is probably one of the best thought out responses I have ever seen on a CNN post.. (I've never commented on a CNN article before, but I feel compelled to for your post), I am a Christian, while not the deepest of faiths, I have faith. Yet I am fearful of Evangelicals in power, as you said, there is a separation of Church and State for a reason. And while I have no issue with people who's views are influenced by religion, of any kind. Evangelicals, in my opinion take it to far. We live in a world where compromise is a must, yet we are more divided than ever before on the issue of politics. I don't believe America should be an athiest country, yet I don't want a leader who derives all their decisions by the Bible, or any other religious book for that matter!

In short, your comment was perfect, and at least represented my view on it. – We need more people like you in the world.

October 16, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
  2. Mark Church

The "Evangelicals" can hardly call themselves Christians. They only want to adhere to the passages in the bible that support their own agenda. They don't remember 'love they neighbor..." or "he who casts the first stone..." They find it perfectly OK to eat shellfish, even though the bible forbids it.

As for our country, those who came here were seeking religious freedom. That does not mean the freedom to impose you religion on others. If they achieve their agenda, they will create the very type of country they came here to escape.

To me Evangelicals are want-to-be elitists that have coopted the parts of the bible they want to use to push their agenda and forgotten the parts that do not support it. Many of the passages they use to support their agenda are not factually accurate, but their interpretations.

Not all of those who place themselves under the Evangelical banner are bad people. Many are simply sheep who follow their Shepard without questioning and thinking for themselves.

Yes, we should be held accountable to be morally good people and raise our children with good values. But you do not need to be an Evangelical to do that. There are many non-evangelicals and even atheists that abide by a moral code that more closely resembles the teachings of Christ. The public and the media need to stop accepting their "talking points" and call them out on the hypocrisy of their agenda versus the actual teachings of the bible.

October 16, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
  3. SarahTonin

The Christians that I know are indeed very dangerous! They firmly believe that their God is the only way and will use their religion to justify everything .. from bigotry up to murder. They want to take your right to believe what you wish away from you because theirs is the only "right" way. They will take your rights away from you without hesitation because unless you believe exactly as they do, they are saving you and they use their love for you as their excuse! Born again Christian .. run as fast as you can and get as far away as you can, for your own good.

October 16, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
    • Robert

It is quite the lie to say a Christian can use Christianity to justify murder. The New Testament states no murderer has eternal life. Jesus said the two greatest commandments are to love God and love your fellow man. Atheism on the other hand has quite often used as justification for murder, and logically so, since atheism says there is no such thing as absolute morality. Murdering a baby is no less moral than feeding a baby in the atheist religion.

October 16, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
    • Robert

1Jn 3:15 Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.

Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
      Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
      Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

October 16, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
    • John Richardson

@Robert Which is why Christian, when they held unquestioned power throughout Europe, used to burn non-believers, including each other, alive. Yep, Christians in power have some track record on respecting life!

October 16, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
    • Question everything

@robert the whole morality argument against atheism is absolutely absurd. What you are ultimately suggesting is that the only thing that stands between complete morality and the reincarnate of ted bundy is some ancient text. Completely outrageous, fundamentally stupid and downright scary.

October 16, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
    • tallulah13

I find that religion has very little to do with the morality of an individual.

October 16, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
  4. Isaac

What a ridiculous thing to say.

They're a danger to those who want TRUTH, FACTS, and SCIENCE to be heard.

October 16, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
  5. Claude

Hey Conservative Christian Values people,
    The 99% are coming and it's time you crawl back under the rock you came from.

October 16, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
  6. SavedbyGrace

To Salty Bob & Others,

Will your humanistic intellectualism provide you any comfort as yo're drawing your last breath? WIll the 'world-view' you pass down to your children provide them any justification when they stand before God?

Religion = division. Relationship = unity. Christ Jesus was a bridge, not a wall builder. Forget for the moment, nations, peoples, cultures, and diversity and focus solely on having a realtionship with the Creator of life. Repent of your sins and place your faith in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and you will not only be Forgiven and Saved – You will have a Peace that surpasses any tranquility the world can offer. Consider this not just for your own sake but for your childrens...and all to the Glory of God. My Friends, without an eternal perspective there will always be greed, hatred, and division....Grace & Peace to you in Jesus Name.

October 16, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
    • Question everything

Buy my stock or suffer for eternity. Sounds like a pretty hefty sales pitch to me.

October 16, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
    • But Knowledge Scores on the Rebound!

(a) Yes, it's a comfort. (b) No one will ever stand before any god even remotely like the one in the bible, either testament.

October 16, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
    • Josh

@Savedbygrace.... Great post! As I looked around this morning from my porch.... I could only laugh at the fact that people call me crazy for believing in a creator....I find rest in God and his creation! And I find rest in that God has chosen a wretch like me. So there is no need for me to bash other people's faith because I am okay with mine.......Many athiest call it reason but I call it extreme faith that there is no God. Grace and peace to you brother!

October 16, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
    • Stephanie

You're so brainwashed you are incapable of comprehending what a life absent of religion entails.
      You essentially stated that one should believe in a fallacy when facing death in order to be comforted. Are you five?
      You know it's terrifying to realize one day everything we see will cease to exist. You will never see your loved ones again,
      never taste the air, or see another sunset. But I am not going to be a coward like you religious wackos and pretend I'll just
      go to a magical sky city instead because it makes me feel better. Please grow up.

October 16, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • John Richardson

@Josh Are you Christian? If so, the only thing you've been "chosen" for is to serve as kindling in hell. Allah said so!

October 16, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
    • That's Rich

SavedbyGrace,

How about if you let Jesus speak for himself? He never wrote a single word.

He either:
      1) Cannot
      2) Will not
      3) Didn't exist
      4) Is not "God"

October 16, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
    • Josh

I was not talking to anyone that has a problem with my faith.... I was talking to someone that shares the same faith is me... I am okay with my faith....so there is no need for me to take a shot at yours....Did you take a shot at mine because you are not okay with your beliefs?

October 16, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
    • PETER

JESUS NEVER EXISTED AND IS A MYTH

October 16, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • tallulah13

So what you're saying is that you are so afraid of death, you will believe any pretty lie that you are told? Wow. My brain just doesn't work like that.

October 16, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
    • John Richardson

@Josh You come here proclaiming that you were "chosen" by the creator and now are yammering that you just want to be left alone with your faith? I don't, Josh. Allah says he's pretty danged upset with you and your kind for rejecting his prophet. It could get REAL ugly for you REAL soon. Will you still be laughing then?

October 16, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
    • Josh

HaHaHaHa.....Okay....Once agian.... I am okay in with my faith....Which means that I am not concerned with what Allah says.....So I guess I dont understand you argument. If it is an argument.... But I think it is coming from someone that feels the need to bash me because he does not agree with me....I see this every day from my 8th grade students..... They make fun people because they are insecure.

October 16, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • SavedbyGrace

Josh, I'd always wondered about verses that indicate Heaven would not be crowded (e.g. '...but narrow is the Gate and diffcult the Way that leads to life, and few there are that find it (Matt 7:14)). But considering the tone of these responses the verse comes into sharper focus. And the thing is that God's will is that none would perish, but that all would come to repentance.(2 Peter 3)

Therefore where we spend eternity is based on our choice, not God's will. It is not sin that sends us to Hell, it's unforgiven sin. Everyone reading this has sinned, no exceptions – Jesus came in Love to ransom us from our sin and redeem us to God by His shed blood. Jesus did ALL the heavy lifting on Clavary's cross – He asks only that we turn from our sin and turn to Him as our Lord & Savior. What seems like foolishness to so many sounds like a great deal to me – Freely offered by a Loving God... The choice is ours. Have a blessed day Josh... Grace & Peace in God's One & Only Son, Christ Jesus.

October 16, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
  7. Murphy

You can have you beliefs, but just realize that they are your beliefs and not mine or the next persons, so stop trying to push them on me.

October 16, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
  8. Ann

You're way off Al! The evangelical political movement IS dangerous to the entire country. The difference between the secular perspective and evangelical perspective is that the evangelicals are dictating life for the rest of us. Do you have any idea what it feels like to be told that your family has no right to exist? There are people who would take my children away from me! I don't agree with the way many evangelicals are raising their children, but I'm not in the streets organizing a movement to deny them the right to procreate and raise children. You say that evangelicals are concerned about poverty? I've seen some evidence of this among the younger Christian population, but where's the larger political evangelical voices around this? I haven't heard Michelle Bachman rallying against poverty, but I have heard her rallying against me, my children and my way of life. This is called DANGEROUS.

October 16, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
  9. Claude

Jesus hates Christians.

October 16, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
    • Murphy

LMAO TRUE!

October 16, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
  10. Salty Bob

In the beginning man created the gods
    The truth about organized religion. I hope you glean a small bit of useful information as I have. What games religion is playing in America and the world today? We live in a country where we can choose for ourselves how much or little Religion we want in our lives, but the followers of most religions just don’t understand the word no. Not in my life not in my schools not in my government, NO, is the choice I have made for me and my family, the following reasons are part of the problem as I see it.
    First: religion is in no way real. The word religion or god is nothing more than an expression or product of human fear and weaknesses or imagination. The Bible/Koran, a collection of ancient myths and stories borrowed from many different cultures over thousands of centuries. Followers of Christianity, Islam, and others want to make decisions for us based on their interpretation of myths and stories from ages past that have change from teller to teller until were left with what we see today.
    These groups' are working hard and spending millions trying to influence our politician to pass laws based on their interpretation of these myths. Trying to convert the USA into a religious state. The only way this will end if things continue as they are is one group will out spend another and gain control in instant we could be living in the United Sates of Islam, sounds kinda funny but there are at the moment 2 sects with the money it will take to make the leap and crush the Wall of Separation. The Wall of Separation is supposed to protect us from all religions infringement upon our schools teachings of science to find real truth and knowledge. Not try and recruit our kids with fairytales or with some aged dogma from an era long dead, our children deserve better.
    Second: Organized Religions have overstepped their boundaries on many occasions. It divides us as a people to choose ignorance over logic, to forsake the future for a ruthless past. Religion started with early mans rites and ceremonies to honor nature, it grew into Charlemagne outright murder of the innocent in the name of Christianity, to jets crashing into towers killing thousands in the name of Islam. The time of burning witches, belief in a flat earth, the murdering of doctors, and crimes against women and children or the followers of gods many other immoral and vile acts against humanity as a whole can no longer and should no longer be tolerated, no matter what religious book or god they believe demands it, religious leaders must be held to account for the acts of its followers.
    Third: Coerced observance is the main method these groups use. Worship me or you will be tortured in a pit of fire for all eternity or, murdered outright. Fear mongering, tyranny, Remember the Dark Ages religions rule in that dark, distant past did not serve our ancestors well. Many of these groups place supernatural abilities on some of their members, kinda like the early versions of super heroes, born of a virgin nice trick or walk on water, hmm or cure the blind and sick shamans come to mind, super strength Hercules so many more. Throughout history you will find many who have claimed special abilities or feats. From every religious group again more fairytales entertainment for people who had very little else to do and lots of free time for the mind to wonder. No interpretation no matter how subtle can change the fact that their holy books are nothing more than a collection stories meant to entertain or teach something to the children or control people of that era nothing more.
    Fourth: We put our trust in our elected officials to maintain the wall of separation, to prevent religions ever-reaching grasp from tainting the consideration of new laws! This country was not founded on the rule of anyone's religion, but more the lack of religious influence in the governing of this country. But time and again you hear religious overtones spouting out of our leaders, and wannabe leaders, the wall is crumbling.
    If anyone of good conscience should agree with what I have said band together, so we can bring this country the very world we live on into the 21st century free of these groups and revel in all the promise this century has to offer so our children's children's children can look back in pride and say they did this for us and our posterity. This is after all a very small world and a great leaping point into the vast unknown. I so hope more minds are opened and see beyond the centuries of engrained dogma. I just hope we have not destroyed it all by that time.
    R.E.W.

October 16, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
    • tif31

Those are very good points Salty Bob. But it should also be noted that the message being spread by these religions is in acontant state of morph.
      The preachers will use the same interpetation of these stories until the "faithful" start to question the feasibilty of said messages. When these explanations no longer work, lo and behold, the preachers state they have done more research and this is now the real meaning. And the stupid thing is the fact the "faithful actually buy it.

October 16, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  11. anahadwolves

Please notice that the author has a very myopic viewpoint: evangical Christianity. Some of us who are also Christian (I am, just not evangical) feel that these people are the same as Islamic militants who want their countries under Sharia Law. Evangical Christians are similar in that they will not rest until America is an adjunct of and governed under a similar evangelic Christian set of religious laws. That evil brand of Christianity would oppose rights of gays to live without fear, of women to have control over their own bodies and non-Christians to live without feeling oppressed.

Contrary to the author's professed feeling of "victimhood", his group is far from innocent when it comes to trying to "Christianize" America: anti-gay laws, anti-woman's choice laws and anti-immigrant/other religion laws are their stock-and-trade through their minions in Government.

I, for one, don't buy his wolf in sheep's clothing "you-have-nothing-to-fear-from-us" self-serving claptrap. We have EVERYthing to fear from these evil, vile, anti-free-choice messengers of hate, bigotry and repression. They are closer to Satan than Jesus and need to be exposed for the danger to a free-thinking America they really are.

October 16, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
    • anahadwolves

Apologies for the inadvertent misspelling: "Evangelical"

October 16, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
  12. C Robb

God did me a big favor and made me an American

October 16, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
    • Anon

No, you just happened to be born in a country where the majority are Christians.and indoctrinated to not to question it,

October 16, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
    • tallulah13

Here we go again. Someone crediting god for what humans accomplished. Your parents made you American, C Robb. You might want to thank them.

October 16, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
  13. Mark from Middle River

Harvard, they hate the poor love corporation? Sometimes you folks recite Democratic dogma just as good as those of us on the Right. The argument about Jesus's teaching is debatable because it is like the other poster stated in that just because it is not your interpretation and that they see the same text and see it differently makes your argument the exact same as theirs.

October 16, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
    • hippypoet

as much as i agree with your post what you are saying to a believer is that both and any arguements had between believers is therefore as valid, kinda making all arguements between believers a moot point as they are essentially arguing the same thing.

October 16, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
  14. Bob

"We’re dangerous only to those who want more secular voices to have a virtual monopoly in public life." - When I read this, I hear "we are dangerous only to those who believe in in separation of church and state, or freedom of religion."

EVERY individual citizen deserves the right to live the way THEY choose, providing they are not harming another citizen or infringing on another's rights. This is true whether you share their beliefs or not.

Evangelicals can, of course, vote however they want; but at least be HONEST about what it is you are doing - using the voting booth to impose YOUR BELIEFS upon those that disagree via governmental action.

October 16, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
    • Bob

Another great post (and I'm a different Bob).

October 16, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
    • Richard Kaiser

@ Bob et al,,,,, "Religion has no place in government. Government has no place in religion. PERIOD Christian rules becoming law is no less distasteful than Sharia law being imposed by our democratic government."

Are 'public' schools considered being 'governemnt' or 'governmentally run'? If 'public' schools of an organization of the government, then are we to all be governmentally controlled via what is taught? 1984 is on the move,,,, 😦

October 16, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
  15. Robert

Dear R. Albert Mohler, Jr.,

Yes, evolution is taught in schools despite the fact that the majority of Americans having doubts about it. Should we teach an alternative theory of life. I am open to that. Please submit evidence supporting an alternative theory that 97% scientists with a graduate degree in paleontology and biology from an accredited university would find acceptable. That is the standard evolution had to meet.

October 16, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
    • Bob

Great post!

October 16, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
    • AvdBerg

Robert

Please read the article 'Creation' on our website http://www.aworlddeceived.ca
      There is your answer.

October 16, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
    • Robert

AvdBerg

It basically says 'God says so so you can't doubt it'.

What type of proof is that?

October 16, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
    • Bob

That website article is no answer to the science question Robert posted. It's fable, choosing to believe that a book written long after the death of christ is somehow the word of some god. Sure, ignore the christian politics that led to the exclusion of certain books.

October 16, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
    • AvdBerg

Roert,

It confirms science in a spiritual way. Seek, and you will find (Matthew 7:7).

October 16, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
    • tallulah13

Opinion is not proof Avd. Try again when you have proof.

October 16, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
    • Robert

I think smurfs are real and because I say so you can't doubt it.

October 16, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
    • AvdBerg

@tallulah13

The proof is in the article. Please read it again!

October 16, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
    • Richard Kaiser

@ Robert,, et al,,,

Ernst CHAIN – Nobel Laureate in Medicine and Physiology

Concerning the Materialistic theory of evolution Ernst Chain (who is a theistic evolutionist) states:

“I would rather believe in fairies than in such wild speculation.

I have said for years that speculations about the origin of life lead to no useful purpose as even the simplest living system is far too complex to be understood in terms of the extremely primitive chemistry scientists have used in their attempts to explain the unexplainable that happened billions of years ago. God cannot be explained away by such naive thoughts.” (Chain, as cited in The Life of Ernst Chain: Penicillin and Beyond by Ronald W. Clark, London, Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 1985, 147-148).

October 16, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
    • Robert

Richard Kaiser

One down...200,000+ to go.

October 16, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
    • tallulah13

Opinion isn't proof, AVD. Your site offers nothing but the same ideas that people who seek real answers have rejected as hearsay and nonsense.

October 16, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
  16. beth

I believe in separation of church and state. I do not want the state to force me to follow any one religious doctrine, nor do I want any church to dictate my country's laws. We have seen the results of the blending of religion and politics and they are not pretty. In England, where the Anglican Church and the government are bound together and membership in the Anglican Church is assumed, attendance at Anglican churches is low. In Iran, where the Ayatollah is the supreme leader people are jailed for their religion. While some people believe that abortion and gay marriage are wrong because their religion says so, many of us have a different belief. Not all who disagree with evangelicals are atheists, but the argument is often framed as a conflict between the believers and non believers. Evangelicals need to allow others to worship according to their own beliefs, and to live their faith as freely as they would wish to.

October 16, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
  17. AvdBerg

R. Albert Mohler Jr. is a false apostle (2 Cor. 11:13-15) and the recruits at the seminary are in training to become false teachers (2 Peter 2:1).

Evangelicals are not able to bring people into a relationship with God. That is a deception. The Bible teaches us in Revelation 12:9 that the whole world is deceived and the Bible is truth (John 14:170 and there is no lie in it (Hebrews 6:18). For a better understanding what it means to be a Christian, we invite you to read the article ‘Can Christianity or Any Other Religion Save You?, listed on our website http://www.aworlddeceived.ca

Also, to give people a better understanding of the issues that divide this world we have recently added the article ‘CNN Belief Blog ~ Sign of the Times’ to our listing of articles.

It is unfortunate but nevertheless the truth that man(kind) in his natural state is unable to understand the Word of God, in fact he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned: meaning to be able to discern between darkness and light (1 Cor. 2:14,15, Acts 26:18). On our website we explain what mankind must do to be reunited with God. The Bible is true and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Hebrews 4:12).

There is a natural body and a spiritual body (1 Cor. 15:44). The only element that separates the Natural body from the Spiritual body is the Baptism of Repentance (Mark 1:4). To repent means: to change spirits and to turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan, whose spirit mankind is of (Luke 9:55), unto God (Acts 26:18). This is not an interpretation.

We depict the natural body and the spiritual body on top of every page on our website. The spiritual side represents the Tree of Life. A Tree signifies a person and the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil refers to a person that is able to discern (judge) between darkness and light (1 Cor. 2:15; Acts 26:18).

Many people search the Bible for in them they think they have eternal life, but when we bring them the Scriptures they don’t believe us (John 5:38,39). Confused? There is no need to be confused any longer. For a better understanding of the mystery of God and what mankind must do to be reunited with God we invite you to read all the pages and articles of our website http://www.aworlddeceived.ca

All of the other pages and articles listed on our website explain how this whole world has been deceived as confirmed by the Word of God in Revelation 12:9. The Bible is true in all things and is the discerner of every thought and the intent of the heart (Hebrews 5:12).

So, before mankind will be able to understand the Word of God, mankind requires to be converted and transformed by God and only then mankind is able to understand the Bible, as it is God (John 1:1). Any kind of religion is a form of self-transformation and is like putting new wine into old bottles or like putting a new piece of old cloth into an old garment (Matthew 9:16,17; 2 Cor. 11:13-15).

Seek, and ye shall find (Matthew 7:7).

October 16, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Stop spamming your article and read something that is based on fact. You are off your gourd.

October 16, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
  18. hamrose

The problem is our political system is designed (for better or worse) to have a separation of church and state. However, the evangelicals seem to want to drag in their extreme views which usually exclusively involve poking their noses in other peoples bedrooms. They add nothing to the political discussion, have nothing worthwhile to say in general, do nothing to alleviate negativity, are extreme, intolerance, abusive, twist the bible and use God as a club with which to bludgeon the rest of us who are not like them.

October 16, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
  19. AC

The left has many radicals who are just as bad as anyone. One group in particular, the weather underground who bombed police stations and such in the 60's and now their leaders like Pivons are heading up Code Pink. And I guess killing unborn babies is all in the heart of many!

October 16, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
    • Anon

Man you're dense.
      Abortions are a medical practice, deal with it.
      Some women can die depending on the case if they're denied an abortion.
      Here's the irony, many pro-lifers DON'T want schools to talk about $ex education nor give out contraceptives, thus reducing the need for abortions in the first place.

October 16, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
    • tallulah13

AC, I realize that you are only interested in fetuses, but sometimes those humans who have already been born have to make the decision that they cannot carry a child. They do this for their own reasons, and usually it's a difficult choice. Unless you are the one who is pregnant, it is none of your business.

October 16, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
  20. David Lieder

This article was written by a leader in the Southern Baptist movement, so of course he is going to defend his church. The Southern Baptist Convention and Evangelicals in America have made their goal clear to take over the USA government and pass the Bible as law, they have used the words "This is a Revolution" over and over again, with leaders like Dr. James Dobson to spearhead their own media propoganda. Yes, they are dangerous, and yes they must be stopped.

October 16, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • MaryM

agreed david

October 16, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
    • scieng1

Christians value the truth. What you allege is not true in any way.

October 16, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
    • MaryM

scieng, what is your Truth?

October 16, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

>>>"Yes, they are dangerous, and yes they must be stopped."

Yep and when Atheist state they want more people in public office so they can make the changes that they want is just a copy of what the Evangelicals want.

Its the Tears for Fears .... every body wants to rule the world. 🙂

October 16, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
    • MaryM

Mark, its about separaion of church and government. No religion in government period. Its not about as you stated "ruling the world"

October 16, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Mary, the separation is listed as the Government not establishing a national religion. For those that have Faith or religion as a part of their lives and this detail is not hidden, if they are elected they will bring that to their decisions. The same as if a person brings military service, if it is a core of who they are then they will bring it also.

For most it is always about ruling the world ... well , maybe the country. To bring about change to their way of thinking and the erasure of those views that are opposite to their own.

Period ..... See I used "period" just like you did, so that should double really end all discussion cause I said "period"..... 😀

October 16, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
    • tallulah13

Mark, I don't care what a person believes in their own time. When they are paid with the government dime, they are employed by the people - all the people, not just people of their own mindset - so they should leave their faith/unfaith at the door.

October 16, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
    • Galloping Ghost

Espousing the bible can lead to great injustice. The Southern Baptists arose using the bible to support their position justifying the enslavement of African-Americans.

October 16, 2011 at 7:45 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81
About this blog