home
RSS
Doomsday ministry scrubs end of world predictions from website
Some of Harold Camping's followers believe that Doomsday did happen on May 21.
October 28th, 2011

Doomsday ministry scrubs end of world predictions from website

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - The Christian radio broadcasting network that touted Harold Camping's failed doomsday predictions may be getting out of the prophecy business, adopting what appears to be a vaguer vision of the end times.

"We are to live so that we are ready for the return of Christ, and even pray for it," according to a Family Radio statement obtained by The Christian Post. "But we also rejoice in every new day, that we've been given another day to occupy and serve our Lord."

Gallery and explainer: Doomsdays through time

Family Radio, which Camping founded in 1958, had posted an explainer detailing why Camping's prediction that May 21 would be the beginning of the end didn't come to pass.

That explainer got yanked from the Family Radio website earlier this week.

Camping had originally said that those selected for salvation would be raptured up to heaven on May 21, and those left behind would face months of judgment amid destruction before the world's end on October 21.

Novel explores "The Leftovers" after the Rapture

The Family Radio website tweaked the prediction after May 21, saying God had shown mercy by sparing people five months of suffering. But final judgment was still slated to come on October 21, when salvation and the world's destruction would happen at once.

But according to the Christian Post, Family Radio is now painting a more fluid picture of doomsday, a departure from the definite dates that Camping set earlier in the year.

"Thy command is still to occupy until he comes," the statement obtained by Christian Post said. "We are still to go teach and tell. Every day we, who are Christians, live in attention.

CNN's calls to Harold Camping and Family Radio went unanswered.

When the world didn't end last week, Camping followers who gathered for a regular Sunday fellowship meeting questioned if they had been left behind, according to Brandon Tauszik, a documentarian who began attending the meetings this year.

"Numbers were a bit down, for the first time I had ever seen, but people showed up much like they did after May 21," said Tauszik, who attends the Oakland, California fellowship meetings out of interest and who never believed the world would end. "People were coming together, speaking outside, asking where we went wrong."

The faith of Camping's most ardent followers was not swayed by the recent news.

According to Fred Store, a longtime Family Radio listener, the general belief is "Judgment Day did in fact occur on May 21."

CNN's Jessica Ravitz contributed to this report.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • End times

soundoff (1,318 Responses)
  1. bachmanntwit

Michele Bachmann believes that god planted all those millions of years old fossils just to mess with everybody's head.

October 28, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • Chris T.

Speaking of which, has anyone seen her without makeup?

October 28, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
    • Trystan

Yes, I saw her without makeup this morning, right before I punched her in the back of the head as she was scurrying out of my house. Last night, I made her bite the pillow and I went in dry.

October 28, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
  2. Harold Camping

Press release: End of the world cancelled. Just give me money.

October 28, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • harold camping here

how dare you speaketh on my behalf...thou shall head south, angels and imps go get the mada...

October 28, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
  3. mightyfudge

"I know, I know, but I can only do it once." – Daffy Duck

October 28, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • Foghorn Leghorn

I I sa I say I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency- My Self

October 28, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
  4. Kirk

They need to realize that December 21, 2012 is doomsday.

October 28, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • Spock

That is illogical, Captain.

October 28, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • Scotty

We can't take much more of this religion nonsense, Captian! Their pushing it too far!

October 28, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • Mr. Sulu

Have you ever noticed that Scotty has the cutest accent? And he always has the most dreamy eyes!

October 28, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • Uhuru

I never got enough lines, and when I did, Shatner always wanted them cut so he could get more time.

October 28, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • Bones

What is this, the Dark Ages Jim? We haven't had a case of Doomsday in years!

October 28, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • Redshirt

Hey..I have something to say...skrew those Away Missions to Alaska...those ppl have guns!

October 28, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
    • Spock 2

Tricorder readings indicate the presence of morons, Captain.

October 28, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • Captain Picard

Orders received and understood, Admiral Redshirt. All future Away Missions will be to explore The Wild Sorority Girls Of Planet Playtex.

October 28, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • Gene Roddenberry

🙂

October 28, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
  5. sockpuppet

I feel bad for these poor people–they seem so lost and confused. I don't get all of the hate towards them–they didn't do anything bad to anyone else...if anything they were trying to save us all before the end came. They were wrong, but that doesn't make them bad people. Just sad.

October 28, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
  6. Wow

God wasn't ready for the world to end because He wanted to watch the World Series.

Josh Hamilton of the Texas Rangers claims that God told him that he was going to hit a home run last night in game 6. The article is listed in the sports section over on msnbc.

October 28, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
  7. Bruce

What's funny is that people don't understand the difference between "the end of the world" and "the end of an age," and what was actually being predicted (after the fact, to be perfectly frank) by those scriptures was the latter and not the former.

Something did in fact end about two thousand years ago–something historically important, at least for students of history. Today, many people see that something similar–something equally historically important–stands on the brink of ending as well.

In 1992 we witnessed the end of the Soviet Union. That was also the ending of something historically important. It doesn't take too much imagination, or a series of idiotic numerology calculations from hidden numbers that a guy like Camping might find coded in Bronze-Age scriptures, to figure out what might be coming to an end in the next few years...

October 28, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
  8. volksmaniac

Message to Camping and followers . Check your bible . In the New Testament it says " no man will know the time ." You should have known that it can't be predicted . Stop listening to this false prophet .

October 28, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • Greenspam

But a woman knows, right? She's no man.

October 28, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • Bruce

Camping did address the "day and hour" verses directly. In fact, if you went to his website before they changed it, the very first article (I think I remember the ti.tle as "Can we know?") led with one of those verses.

Strange how many people actually believe that Camping somehow missed or ignored those verses, when in fact they were the centerpiece of his ridiculous assertions...

October 28, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
  9. IronRider

For people who are so devoted to God you sure don't listen to him. This refirms that no man knows the day or the hour.

October 28, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • Tomm

You don't know everyone.
      I'm devoted to God but that doesn't make me a limp wristed church mouse.
      Push some Christians and they'll knock you on your butt.
      Christians aren't under any obligation to let non believers trash them and their beliefs.

Sometimes you have to fight back. TLM USMC 71-74

October 28, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • yeahalright

My god says this! My god says that! No you're both wrong my god says this other thing!

You're all crazy. Walnuts, cashews and peanuts.....differnt flavors but you're all nuts.

October 28, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • Shan

@Tomm: You sure are an angry little elf.

October 28, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • Trystan

Tomm, how misguided you are. The all powerful book of fairy tells tells you to turn the other cheek. In other words, TAKE IT. That's what you're supposed to do. Just lay there and take it, hard. This is why christians are for the most part completely broke. It really is a vicious cycle. They're broke because they lack any self respect because of the bible, and then they go and pray to god for money. The church demands money from them, so they give what they have to the church. The church gets rich, god doesn't give the people the money they ask for, and then they drink bleach. It's all for the best, anyway.

October 28, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
  10. Mister Jones

What? I missed another one? ... Damnit. What ever could that mean?

October 28, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
  11. bachmanntwit

Michele Bachmann believes that early man would park their dinosaurs in the Roman Colisuem while they attended church.

October 28, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • volksmaniac

Why are you so obsessed with her ? Do you feel threatened by a conservative ,white woman ? Fear will cause people to lash out at their percieved threat .

October 28, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
  12. JJC

He should be prosecuted for yelling fire in a crowded theater. Too many gullible people in the world to be yelling that the end is near. I am suprised that there wasn't some mass suicides this time, especially on the following day when nothing happened.

October 28, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
  13. Chris T.

Actually, the Rapture happened exactly as predicted. It was just really hard to tell, because apparently no one qualified. LOL

October 28, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
  14. dugee

So the world has actually ended? Do they have some other definition for 'end'. Do have to define what the definition of 'is' is again as well. Perhaps we should be looking to REM for this sort of prediction.'It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine!"

October 28, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
  15. Trystan

I wonder where that hippy idiot is. Waiting for him to chime in with more of his garbage poems.

October 28, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
  16. Christ IS coming

Harold Camping has done a great disservice to those of us who consider ourselves TRUE Christians. The Bible makes it crystal clear- NO one here on earth knows when Christ will return, but make no mistake about it.. He IS coming back! In his zeal to name a date and time, Camping has made a mockery of what we know to be the TRUTH. Those people who scoff at the idea of Christ's return will now be that much harder to reach, all because "end of times" doctrine and beliefs have been reduced to nothing more than a fairy tale.. As for me and my family, we will continue to wait on Him and live each day in eager anticipation of his glorious return!

October 28, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • Trystan

You really think so? Check the bible again! You are as far from the truth as one could be!

October 28, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • yeahalright

If it makes you feel better to bash Camping and pretend he's a loon but you're not go right ahead.

But rest assured, you're just as much of a loon as him. In fact, you're a more cowardly loon. At least he has the guts to name a date for the climax of his delusions.

October 28, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • Irony

Did you know Harold Camping's parents were Jewish? He's just mocking Christianity... duh...

October 28, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • Brian

TRUTH? Do you actually beleive that someone who dies over 2000 years ago will actually come back to life. GROW UP and STOP beleiving fairy tales

October 28, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
    • Answer

@Christ
      Here we have another claim of the "True christian".. please define your term.
      I bet you'll get it wrong. Trying to fit your image into what you are into the society. The only christian that is a true christian is the person defining his own cause. The fallacy of something being A TRUE MEMBER of something is an EXCLUSIVE CLUB. Everybody wants to be in an EXCLUSIVE CLUB yet they all are NOT.

Nice try tool.

October 28, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
  17. OMG

"Camping followers who gathered for a regular Sunday fellowship meeting questioned if they had been left behind..." However, all followers were in attendance... except old Ms. Gilver... who must have been raptured...

THERE IS NO GOD DUMMIES. WAKE UP. GET IT? NOW – BE FREE TO LIVE YOUR LIFE.

October 28, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
  18. Shane

I feel sorry for all of you Non-Believers. Harold Camping is a visionary. He is a Prophet brought unto us by the Lord Jesus Christ. To discount his teachings and visions is to do discredit to our Savior. The rapture is coming. Those of you who do not believe will be sentenced to an eternity in the fires of hell. You will be subjected to the perpetual sins of mankind over and over for eternity. WAIT A MINUTE.....perpetual sins? That sounds pretty good! I'd rather be there than with all the brain washed fruitcakes in heaven! Save a beer for me will ya? I'll be there right after I'm judged.

October 28, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
    • OMG

You're really a mentally-ill person, but I can't get that point across to you... because your're mentally ill.

October 28, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • Tomm

You can tell by the non-believers posts that they're just trying to push an evil agenda.
      Just ignore them, they're ignorant of the truth.

October 28, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
    • IronRider

He is clearly a false profit. Wake up!

October 28, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
    • DB

If God is really coming and wants me to believe in Him so I can be saved, why doesn't He tell me Himself instead of sending the message through Camping and expecting me to take his word for it? What kind of a God doesn't tell me the rules in person and instead sends them through an intermediary (with no obvious credentials to make me believe he really got the message directly from God), and then punishes me for not following those rules? If it's REALLY that important, God should be speaking DIRECTLY to every one of us instead of sending His message through a handful of individuals...that should be very easy for Him to do. After all, He's God, right?

October 28, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
    • StopTheMadness

One word for you "MEDICATION" Get some.

October 28, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • Keepingitreal

I'm with you Shane. These wackjobs only care about self deluded superiority complex. We, and I mean the entire world, would all be far better off if there really was a rapture and those "true believers" were wisked away to leave the rest of us in peace. Only then will there be a heaven on earth.

Athiests, WAKE UP and rebut to these born again fools.

October 28, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • JB Cal

Be careful what you wish for, you may get it.

October 28, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
    • Shane

@JB Cal: Yes, best to live a life of, "Well Just in Case" or "What if your wrong"? I find it easier to live a life of personal moral convictions then one dictated by a book that was written during a time when people still belived the world was flat, that the sun revolved around the earth, that two of every species can be placed upon a boat that was constructed by a senior citizen and still have the ability to account for genetic variation 5,000 years later. You are correct, the life of sheep is much simpler!

October 28, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
    • Shane

@DB: Maybe God isn't getting any Sevice Bars on his cell that far away. He should start tweeting.

October 28, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
  19. Leonid Brezhnev

People that believe this crap are just plain stupid. As P.T. Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute."

Go ahead, fools....keep sending telepathic messages to your invisible friend in the clouds....idiots! There is no god, no heaven, no hell, no devil....all this crap is made up to keep you sheep in line, and separate you from your money.

October 28, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
    • Tomm

You're pushing your crap on people just like Jehovah witnesses do.
      You don't like it when people do this to you so why would you act the same way?

October 28, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • yeahalright

Oh yeah tomm? he's knocking at your door pushing his crap just like JW's? No, he's on an internet page you have complete freedom to read or not read.

He's not pushing anything on you. I know it's big in your pretendo religion (oxymoron), but get over your persecution complex.

October 28, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • DB

P.T. Barnum NEVER SAID THAT. Sucker!

October 28, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • Pshaw

Tomm,

Think of some of the reasons why you disagree with/don't like/don't believe Jehovah's Witnesses teachings (or Mormons, or Muslims, or Hindus). You just might discover why we dismiss yours.

October 28, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
  20. Good Stuff

So the end of the world didn't happen like Camping and his cult said it would. Cool. Just means more time for me to not go to church, denounce the Bible, and advocate how there is no God.

October 28, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
    • wha?

Don't you have something better to do? Something productive? Quit spewing your doubts and let the believers live their lives. What's it to you?

October 28, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
    • Tomm

You can do and believe as you wish as long as your kind allow me to do and believe as I wish.
      No two people believe exactly the same way.

Your position may be the correct position for you, but it doesn't mean everyone has to accept it as religion.

October 28, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
    • Trystan

Tomm, there is no god. The end.

I trust you enjoyed this story.

October 28, 2011 at 2:13 pm |