home
RSS
Doomsday ministry scrubs end of world predictions from website
Some of Harold Camping's followers believe that Doomsday did happen on May 21.
October 28th, 2011

Doomsday ministry scrubs end of world predictions from website

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - The Christian radio broadcasting network that touted Harold Camping's failed doomsday predictions may be getting out of the prophecy business, adopting what appears to be a vaguer vision of the end times.

"We are to live so that we are ready for the return of Christ, and even pray for it," according to a Family Radio statement obtained by The Christian Post. "But we also rejoice in every new day, that we've been given another day to occupy and serve our Lord."

Gallery and explainer: Doomsdays through time

Family Radio, which Camping founded in 1958, had posted an explainer detailing why Camping's prediction that May 21 would be the beginning of the end didn't come to pass.

That explainer got yanked from the Family Radio website earlier this week.

Camping had originally said that those selected for salvation would be raptured up to heaven on May 21, and those left behind would face months of judgment amid destruction before the world's end on October 21.

Novel explores "The Leftovers" after the Rapture

The Family Radio website tweaked the prediction after May 21, saying God had shown mercy by sparing people five months of suffering. But final judgment was still slated to come on October 21, when salvation and the world's destruction would happen at once.

But according to the Christian Post, Family Radio is now painting a more fluid picture of doomsday, a departure from the definite dates that Camping set earlier in the year.

"Thy command is still to occupy until he comes," the statement obtained by Christian Post said. "We are still to go teach and tell. Every day we, who are Christians, live in attention.

CNN's calls to Harold Camping and Family Radio went unanswered.

When the world didn't end last week, Camping followers who gathered for a regular Sunday fellowship meeting questioned if they had been left behind, according to Brandon Tauszik, a documentarian who began attending the meetings this year.

"Numbers were a bit down, for the first time I had ever seen, but people showed up much like they did after May 21," said Tauszik, who attends the Oakland, California fellowship meetings out of interest and who never believed the world would end. "People were coming together, speaking outside, asking where we went wrong."

The faith of Camping's most ardent followers was not swayed by the recent news.

CNN's Jessica Ravitz contributed to this report.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • End times

soundoff (1,318 Responses)
  1. Believe It

I've tried talking to god. Back in the day when I used to write letters to Santa. Then I grew up. Religion is designed to control people who are afraid of the fact that when you die....that's all folks.

The largest hoax in human history can only be disproven/proven.....WHEN YOU DIE....so by then it is too late. Great scam. But only for the gullible. Let go people. Give in to reason. Two words – Metaphysics and Epistomology.

October 28, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
    • Marcus

Thanks for enlightening me. I feel so much better with those words of wisdom. You don't wanna believe, don't. Don't tell me what to believe.

October 28, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
    • claybigsby

marcus...they arent telling you what to believe but expressing their opinion which is their right. this is a blog after all.

October 28, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
    • Marcus

Believe it tells me to let go and give in to reason. Sounds like he/she is telling me what to believe (or not to believe).

October 28, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
  2. Josef F

Faith is a mental illness.

October 28, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
  3. harold camping here

I am back, the new date is 12-21-2012, good luck fellas...

October 28, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
    • mojo13

Thank god! (literally) So I guess it's was just a clerical error. Happens to the best of us. But this time you got it right, right?

October 28, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
    • Marcus

Oh I see, you were using the mayan calendar. Not the Roman calendar. Easy mistake to make

October 28, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
  4. ObamaJoe

To the man who pleases him, God gives wisdom, knowledge and happiness, but to the sinner he gives the task of gathering and storing up wealth to hand it over to the one who pleases God. This too is meaningless, a chasing after the wind.

October 28, 2011 at 12:30 pm |
  5. Mike

These doomsday jerks should read their bible. No one knows the hour or the day, and the end times could last for a thousand years or one year. Every day counts, not just the last one. So, live accordingly and you should be in good shape at the end.

October 28, 2011 at 12:30 pm |
  6. Barney

It's foolish to try and predict something like this. But, it isn't foolish to prepare your heart for the Lord every day. Count your blessings. Love God, and love each other as He loved us. Jesus Christ is the only way. Learn of Him. God Bless.

October 28, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
    • claybigsby

"Jesus Christ is the only way."

most foolish statement ever. Pretty conceited dont you think considering the variety of religions in the world.

October 28, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
    • Madtown

Jesus Christ is the only way.
      ----
      And, if someone has never heard of Jesus Christ, through no fault of their own, what happens to them?

October 28, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
  7. mojo13

I wish one of these guys would get it right. Everytime there's a doomsday prediction I stop paying my bills – I don't want to be the sucker that paid his mortgage a day before the rapture. But then it doesn't happen and I have to catch up on all my late payments. It's ruining my credit rating. Thanks a lot god!

October 28, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
  8. Neil Pharr

this bad news – they are always wrong – not it could happen today! look out out for asteroids and nutty priest.

October 28, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
  9. GRANT

Tantric s.ex is my rapture, and, no, I wasn't "left behind"

October 28, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
  10. biggins08

Man this is sooooo funny! I know there are many many mentally challenged people out there but I would have never guessed this many! I was on the fence before but now I know that I am definately going to start my own church! These people will believe just about ANYTHING, and I could certainly use the cash "donations"....now all I have to do is come up with a catchy name, some completely off base premise for starting the religion (or used the tried and true "God told me to do this"), set up a web site for "donations" in order to "build our church", and I should be able to rake in a few million easy, maybe more...and the absolute best part is that all that money will be tax free for me! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

October 28, 2011 at 12:27 pm |
  11. ObamaJoe

Judgment Day did in fact " began" on May 21,,,,,,have fun,,,whatever,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

October 28, 2011 at 12:27 pm |
  12. Paul

Glad to see all the stupid athiest are jumping on this boat. Notice how as soon as something religious is posted EVERYBODY feels the need to speak up and say "I outsmarted all of you! I found out god dont exist! I live in reality and not a dream land!"... LOL.. it makes me question how crappy of parents you all must have had. Im no religious freak and like anyone else I have my doubts.. Im just not as ignorant as all of you to claim to be so wise and knowledgeable about something I DONT KNOW ABOUT. See the thinhg is.. NEITHER DO YOU. You have read enough articles to form an opinion and thats great.. but dont shove your opinion down everyones throat and come off offensive.

October 28, 2011 at 12:27 pm |
    • mojo13

Don't shove your opinion down people's throats, you say. We learned from watching religious people like you, man.

October 28, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
    • Observer

Paul,

"Im just not as ignorant as all of you to claim to be so wise and knowledgeable about something "

"stupid atheists"

Well done. LOL.

October 28, 2011 at 12:32 pm |
    • Believe It

The same can be said of all those moderates and fundamentalists. Keep it in your house, and out of my face.

October 28, 2011 at 12:32 pm |
    • d bernard

So, attack people who don't believe in the same things as you, calling them stupid and calling their parents horrible. You are a good Christian and follow the teachings of Jesus. Way to go!

October 28, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
    • JMO

I like how Christian types get all freaked out when the sun rises everyday in the east and sets in the west. They get even more weird when winter is cold and summer is how, birds fly, rains fall and nature goes plodding on as if the end of the world wasn't for 5 billion years when the sun runs out of hydrogen.

October 28, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
    • toxictown

Turn the other cheek. Unless you don't really believe that Christian stuff.

October 28, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
    • claybigsby

". Im just not as ignorant as all of you to claim to be so wise and knowledgeable about something I DONT KNOW ABOUT. See the thinhg is.. NEITHER DO YOU."

Bingo...no one does...

October 28, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
    • TheTooth

Paul,

I think you’re in denial regarding the degree of your ‘freak’ness.

Just Sayin!

October 28, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
    • Answer

@Paul

You're starting off with a great comeback there Paul. For all the times you've been ridiculed and called stupid – you want to lash back. It's so good to see the real personality of those who are supposed to be the morally righteous take up good ole fashioned name calling. Welcome to the slugfest of name calling! Let's have a good fight.

Here's a favorite insult that I like to call your lot – "you f-u-c-k-w-a-d." Have a nice day.

October 28, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
  13. RBN1970

Children should not be brainwashed with religion. All children should have the right to be free from these cults until they're legally adults. That way, they'd have a chance to experience the real world and be capable of deciding if a cult is right for them. Religion is a population control mechanism – that's all it's ever been. If religious people doubt that, look to your leaders. Behind closed doors, they violate everything they preach about. It's the same with every religion. The only people that haven't figured that out are the people that were brainwashed as children. Make it illegal to brainwash children and you'll watch religion decline. Religion is the root of all evil!

October 28, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
    • Benny

You sound like a bigot. Funny, don't atheists profess their higher tolerance and enlightenment?

October 28, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
    • turbovirus

I agree with you 100%

October 28, 2011 at 12:32 pm |
    • Marcus

Please do not group religion in with these wackos. This is a very small percentage of those that call themselves Christians.

October 28, 2011 at 12:34 pm |
    • biggins08

Totally agree 100%, religion is mainly used as a tool to control people, and the rest hold on to it bc their lives are so bad that without it they'd prob kill themselves, so it does have some value. People in power fear people like us bc we refuse to blindly "drink the punch", we have decided to use our brains and won't buy into anything unless it makes clear, complete sense, and won't fall for some almighty hocus pocus just because someone said we should...

October 28, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@Marcus: They believe the same things you do. The only difference is they had the balls to give a date.

October 28, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
    • Marcus

Well it the Bible never states when it is going to be. They stated that they knew and I believe no human knows. So no, they don't believe the same as me.

Actually, even within Christianity there are a wide array of beliefs so like I said. You can't lump everyone together.

October 28, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
    • Kyle

Speaking as an atheist I agree with Marcus. These people are far far worse then the majority of religious people. Most people are religious merely because they were raised with the aspect of faith and hold on to it for many reasons. It does not make them bad people. They are the same as you and I. We just gave up fairy tales. Extremism in any belief or lack of belief system creates insanity. I am sure that there are Atheists just as bad as fundie religious people.

October 28, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
    • Marcus

Thanks Kyle. I totally agree with what you said. I would like to think I am open to all beliefs including atheism. My best friend is an atheist. He has his reasons and he respects mine and I respect his. That is not always how it is with religion and the extremes make me cringe to think people are lumping me in with them.

October 28, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
  14. MattyOH

There is no magical, all-powerful, invisible man in the sky. Never was, never will be. Live your life as best you can, and love those around you before you, like the rest of us, become worm food.

October 28, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
  15. ObamaJoe

What the hell? They believed only because that old guy told them ?? Come on ,,,read the bible ,,only the father knows,,,,that old man is NOT the father !!! AND,, if it's predictable,,,then Jesus lied,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

October 28, 2011 at 12:25 pm |
    • claybigsby

no more like the MEN who wrote the bible lied.

October 28, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
  16. ART

No say it aint so, I was so looking forward to the end

October 28, 2011 at 12:25 pm |
  17. Davren

Its amazing how many people don't know how much Science actually confirms Biblical accounts. Science doesn't disprove the existence of Intelligent Creation, it explains it. You can't disprove God exists by studying what he's already created..smh.

Yea, it's very "Rational" to believe that we evolved from Fish when there is absolutely no clear evidence of Macro Evolution. Micro evolution I agree with, but to believe in a system that apparently has for some reason stopped..yea, that's rational.

Harold Camping does not speak for us. He is a false prophet who ignores scripture, hold him accountable, leave the rest of us alone.

October 28, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
    • claybigsby

"You can't disprove God exists by studying what he's already created"

But you cant assume your god created everything when there are numerous gods created by man on this planet alone. Man wrote the bible, not god. Man said they were inspired by god, not god. You cant prove god exists either. Cant be done. If you can, please show us how you can and what knowledge you posses that I do not. Plain truth is...YOU DONT KNOW and NEITHER DO I.

October 28, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
    • Christian Taliban

You are a LOONY, AND THE REASON WHY THE SOUTH NEEDS TO BE ALLOWED TO SECEDE.

October 28, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
    • Answer

@Davren..

Another ID-iot coming to uphold the Intelligent Design cult? Seen your kind before. Not surprised.
      Please do tell us what actual science that you do understand? Your kind has a written out playbook that you follow I wonder if you tools have it updated as yet? Have you? Let's see the new material – please.

October 28, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
  18. CommonSense

"According to Fred Store, a longtime Family Radio listener, the general belief is "Judgment Day did in fact occur on May 21."

Poor deluded Souls!!!

October 28, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
    • Dave in Kentucky

Yeah, it happened, God looked everyone over and said, "Nnnnnnaaaaaaaah." Maybe next time — the real time.

October 28, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
    • toxictown

I had my annual review at work on Oct. 21 so I believe.

October 28, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
  19. joepa

I am a Christian as well but I question NOW being the end times. After all didn't this country suffer far worse in the time of the Civil War than now? Did the Black Plague in Europe kill far more people (per capita) than anything going on right now? History is repleat with huge loss of life events such as the Battle of Cannae where the Romans lost around 60,000 soldiers in a single battle. Taking into account a far smaller population count back then, how does anything going on right now compare to anything like that?

October 28, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
    • Davren

Biblical "End Times" started when Christ was crucified, most of these accounts are from people who read but not "study" the scriptures.

October 28, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
    • wehadda

The end of times are about what is happening in each of our hearts. It's not about the end of the world, the end of nations, the end of the planet. There are trillions upon trillions of planets out there, many with life. You think this Armaggedeon stuff is just directed at Earth alone? Come on people.

October 28, 2011 at 12:35 pm |
    • toxictown

The sad part is that people run around trying to tease out predictions and instruction for behavior out of a 2k yr old compilation of random stories, legends, news reports and fantasies mostly cribbed from other older sources. Some interesting fables and a lot of filler. It is nothing more.

October 28, 2011 at 12:39 pm |