home
RSS
October 28th, 2011

Predators in plain sight: Priests accused of child abuse appear beyond the reach of law

Editor’s note: Gary Tuchman reports on allegedly abusive Catholic priests who are living, unsuspected, in communities across the country on CNN Presents, Saturday at 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. ET on CNN.

By Gary Tuchman and Jessi Joseph, CNN

Los Angeles (CNN) - Former LAPD Detective Federico Sicard still remembers the Monday he arrived at a school to interview children who said a priest had molested them, even though the visit took place 23 years ago.

Sicard found four children at the school, Our Lady of Guadalupe in East L.A., who said they’d been abused by Nicolas Aguilar Rivera, a priest who’d recently arrived from Mexico.

But police never had a chance to interview Aguilar.

“We went to interview the priest and they told us he’s no longer here,” Sicard, who spent more than 20 years on the case, said in a recent interview. “He’s gone. He was taken to Mexico.”

Church officials said they found out about the alleged abuse on a Friday in early 1988 and met with Aguilar the next day to remove him from ministry.

According to a police report, Aguilar told church officials at that meeting that he planned to return to his native Mexico at the beginning of the following week.

The police were notified on Monday morning, but it was too late. Aguilar had already fled the United States for Mexico.

“We made a call to child protective services. Nobody was answering the phone. It was 5 o’clock on a Friday,” said Tod Tamberg, the spokesman for the Los Angeles Archdiocese.

“Monday morning the call was made – a notification was made – and Aguilar Rivera, during the weekend, fled without telling anybody, to Mexico,” Tamberg said.

Sicard said if the police had been notified earlier, Aguilar would have been detained.

After Aguilar fled, more reports of his alleged abuse surfaced. The Los Angeles District Attorney later filed a warrant for his arrest, charging Aguilar with molesting 10 children.

Aguilar is still wanted in Los Angeles for 19 felony counts of lewd acts against a child.

He had been in the U.S. for only nine months.

“We’d love to know where he is, we really would,” Tamberg said. “I mean, the letters demanding his return don’t expire. We’d like him to come back and face justice.”

Aguilar is one of hundreds of former Catholic priests who have faced sex abuse allegations and who now live unmonitored in unsuspecting communities.

For decades, accused priests who were kicked out of the church for allegations of abuse blended back into society. No one keeps track of where they live.

“Unfortunately, they’ve never been convicted,” said Tamberg. “They’re private citizens and so they’re free to move about and live where they want to.”

Nearly 6,000 priests have been accused of molesting children in the United States since the 1950s, according to the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.

Very few of the accused ever make it to a criminal trial, often because by the time the victims come forward the statute of limitations for the crime has passed. At that point, even if a priest admits to the abuse, he cannot go to jail.

CNN has learned that Aguilar allegedly continued his abuse of children after fleeing to Mexico.

In 1992, four years after leaving the U.S., Aguilar surfaced in Mexico City. Still a priest, he was assigned to the church, Nuestra Señora del Perpetuo Socorro, where he met Joaquin Mendez.

“I met him being an altar boy,” said Mendez, 30, who remembered him vividly. He said Aguilar became a close friend of his family.

“Honestly, his presence made me feel uncomfortable. His breath smelled really bad. It was a disgusting smell. Even now I feel the scars of those memories,” said Mendez.

Mendez was 13 years old when, he said, Aguilar called him into his bedroom at the church.

“He said, ‘Come on in. Let me show you some music tapes I made.’ So I go in and then he forced me to pull down my pants. He raped me,” Mendez said.

“I got away from him however I could,” Mendez continued. “He threatened me not to say anything to my family because if I did he was going to do the same thing to my brother.”

But Mendez found the courage to come forward. He said he told his parents and they went to the police.

Aguilar left Mexico City in 1995. Over the next 10 years he continued working as a priest in small towns in the Mexican state of Puebla.

Five formal complaints have been filed against Aguilar in Mexico since his return from Los Angeles. Aguilar is still wanted in Puebla for statutory rape, but authorities there say they’ve lost his trail.

CNN recently received a tip that Aguilar had been seen in Jonacatapec, a small farming town in the Mexican state of Morelos, about two hours south of Mexico City.

Emiliano, a Jonacatapec farmer, told CNN he had seen Aguilar twice. He said he recognized Aguilar from the news. Emiliano took CNN journalists to a bus stop outside of town, the last place he had seen Aguilar.

At the bus stop, a woman told CNN she rides the bus with Aguilar. “I saw him on the bus and he said I should take care of my baby,” she said. “That was all.” She had no idea about his past but agreed to show us where she believed Aguilar lived.

Once in the neighborhood, CNN was unable to find anyone else who knew Aguilar.

Sanjuana Martinez is a Mexican journalist who has written a book about Aguilar. She has also interviewed the priest himself.

“I said I can’t believe it that he’s talking with me,” Martinez said.

In a phone interview with Martinez, Aguilar repeatedly denied the allegations, including the charges made by Mendez.

“All of this has been a series of defamation, slanders,” Aguilar told her. “That is what all of this has been.”

Martinez said she believes it is unlikely Aguilar will ever be arrested in Mexico.

The spokesman for the Archdiocese of Mexico City, Hugo Valdemar, said the church has no further responsibility for Aguilar.

He said the church disputes the claim of rape by Mendez but acknowledged that Aguilar may be guilty of other abuse.

“I’m not saying he may not have done things, because we have the impression that he did,” Valdemar said. “The church has done what needed to be done. It suspended Nicolas Aguilar. He is no longer a priest.”

But church officials in Mexico did not defrock Aguilar until 2009, years after they knew about the alleged abuse. Valdemar said that it’s not the church’s job to hunt down suspects: ”This is a job for the police.”

Tony De Marco is a Los Angeles attorney that represents Joaquin Mendez and others who say they were abused by Aguilar. “There is no desire on the part of the church here to see that he be prosecuted and put in jail,” De Marco said.

De Marco said he would like to see the same policy changes in Mexico regarding victims of clergy sexual abuse that have been made in the U.S.

“You’ve seen things like zero-tolerance policies, you’ve seen compensation to victims, you’ve seen prosecutions of priests and most recently - finally - prosecution of those who facilitated and helped these men ... continue to molest kids,” said De Marco. “Change can happen. That’s my client’s belief and that’s my belief.”

But for now, Aguilar, and hundreds of other accused priests throughout the U.S. appear to remain beyond the reach of the law.

– CNN’s Luisa Calad, Valeria Longhi and special contributor Jesus Soria contributed to this report.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Catholic Church • Mexico • Sex abuse

1. Sheik Yerbouti

@kimsland
    You got that right. I was a victim of se-xual molestation by my choir director when I was 12 and I would have no mercy on these sc-um bags. Problem is, the statute of limitations runs out. Kids are scared to come forward. I never mentioned it to ANYONE until I was in my mid THIRTIES and even then it was very difficult to talk about. Sick people. Plus I feel guilty because who knows how many more kids' he molested because I was afraid?

October 29, 2011 at 9:28 pm |
    • Pet Sounds

You shouldn't burden yourself with guilt. It's not your fault these "holy men" take advantage of children. These are sick twisted people that are protected by the church. How come we can catch child predators that don't belong to the church? It's hard to take them down when the church is willing to relocate a priest at the first sign of trouble? Why don't they step up and hand these people over????? I just don't understand.

October 29, 2011 at 10:43 pm |

@pet sounds
      I don't either, and it really takes a toll. And then these A-h-oles come in here rationalizing and making excuses for them. I have two children and I am so paranoid and un-trusting I am probably traumatizing them with my own paranoia. I was almost kidnapped once too! Literally, by a guy in van with candy. Text book. My sister saved my a-ss. What is the tri-fecta, parental abuse, oh yeah! Had that too (step-father, abused me physically and abused my sister se-xually). “What a wonderful world” Well my kids DO have a wonderful world and a plan to keep it that way they sure as hell aren’t going to church!! (Unless they want to, but that will be their choice when they are old enough to decide forthemselves.)

October 29, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
    • kimsland

Hi Sheik Yerbouti,

I'm very saddened to hear of what happened to you.

You said something that I do agree with, but don't say much because I honestly don't trust the mentality of the 'religious' people reading here. I agree that a person should have free will to make their own mind up regarding religion, ONLY when they become an adult themselves. Otherwise you may damage a young child's mind.

Even the bible itself MUST be interpreted (according to ALL other religious followers) therefore its more than obvious that a child should NOT have access to a bible at all costs. Otherwise they may start stoning their friends to death!
      Plus this burning in hell, and don't ask questions just have faith, is NOT a good way to bring up a healthy minded child, above all it is NOT safe for any child to trust these men who quite obviously are not so 'christian' in their religious Christianity.

It comes down to who can you trust in the church, when very long term leaders (actual leaders) of churches are presently in prison on child abuse charges. These so called 'leaders' had many previous followers, and obviously many of those being children. Churchies need to wake up and realize if you have kids stay away from the church, far away.

We need more people who have been abused by religion to also voice their concerns and stand up for every child's rights.
      Church and children do not mix and never will.

October 30, 2011 at 3:24 am |
    • Pet Sounds

@Sheik Yerbouti
      I can't pretend I understand the suffering you've been through but my heart goes out to you and your kids. You've already made one of the best decisions a parent can make: Let the child decide for him or herself if they want to get involved with religion. Never force your ideology onto an impressionable mind. If I had parents with your foresight it would have saved me the trouble of shaking off my indoctrination. Where ever life may lead you I hope you find happiness.

October 30, 2011 at 4:58 am |
    • Keith

Sheik Yerbouti, Let me revise my statement from earlier...Anyone who harms a child in a s^xual way should be gut-shot. Anyone who does the same while hiding as a wolf in sheeps clothing should be gut-shot with a hollow-point. These vermin will face an extreme judgement someday. Justice is only delayed-but it will come. These wolves are just that, wolves. The sheep did not do this horrible crime to you. What is shameful is the fact that the sheep aren't driving the wolves out once they've been exposed.

October 30, 2011 at 9:09 am |
    • Sheik Yerbouti

I don't know why I even had kids. I'm REALLY messed up in the head and my children aren't safe around me. When I was a child I abused animals and continued doing so into adulthood. Sometimes I just want to throw hot coffee in people's faces.

October 30, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
    • Sheik Yerbouti

The previous post is clearly not me. My fan is back.

October 30, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
    • Sheik Yerbouti

I didn't bring up my experience for sympathy. I am fine and dandy. The take away here should be that the real world is a dangerous place for kids. Keep your eyes open, talk to your kids and in my opinion, don't indoctrinate them into any philisophy. Ever. It is their choice, not yours. Teach them common sense and critical thinking. Now you are helping them.

October 30, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
    • Nah

kims: "I don't actually fully understand this 'statute of limitation', I mean se xual abuse should be penalized no matter how much time has passed. Its obvious you are still hurting from this, so why is the other person(s) allowed to continue on freely?"

Every pedo-phile should be drawn and quartered.

However, statute of limitations exist not because we don't want to punish people who have committed crimes, but because after a certain time evidence disappears, recollections fade and become distorted, eye witnesses can't be found or remember what they saw wrongly, etc.

It's intended more as a due process protection for the accused, not protection for people who have actually committed crimes.

October 30, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • The Dude

Take care of business yourself. No jury would convict you, at least not one I am on.

October 30, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
  2. kimsland

Priests molesting children.
    Religious adults should not have children if they FEEL they are not responsible in caring for them.
    Keep religion away from kids at all times.

October 29, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
    • Sheik Yerbouti

My choir director did a lot more than just touching. I'm talking full-insertion closed fist.

October 30, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • Sheik Yerbouti

Clearly I did not write the previous post. I seem to have a stalker.

October 30, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
    • joey.s

gay religion

October 30, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
  3. Father O'blivion

A festive CYO party with crepe paper streamers, contestants for the broom dance, the hokey pokey, baked goods, & Father Riley making sure the lights are down low...

Catholic girls
    Do you know how they go?
    In the rectory basement
    Catholic boys!
    Kinda young, kinda wow!
    Catholic boys!
    Where are they now?
    Did they all take the vow?
    Where is Father Riley?

October 29, 2011 at 7:07 pm |
    • Sheik Yerbouti

If you find alter boys and his pe-nis, I bet you will find Father Riley!

October 29, 2011 at 7:42 pm |

October 29, 2011 at 7:45 pm |
  4. Keith

Anyone who hurts kids in a s^xual way should be gut-shot.

October 29, 2011 at 6:56 pm |
  5. lastofall

This is typical of this present evil secular world to exaggerate and over-estimate the mote in other´s, while paying no attention to the beam in their own secular system. They delight in looking for the least failure in other´s, while they themselves indulge in bowls full of sins.

October 29, 2011 at 6:05 pm |

@lastinthemall
      I am waiting for a reply on the previous page if it isn't too much trouble my friend.

October 29, 2011 at 6:42 pm |

@last
      I know right? Did you see that Frankenberry AND Count Chocula cereal is back on the shelves? I have been having one sinful bowl after another and I know it is not good for me. You speak wisely my friend.

October 29, 2011 at 6:45 pm |

@lastofall
      Oh one last thing genious:

The Catholic church is involved in CRIMINAL activity, NOT JUST BY ASSOCIATION, but by the very cover-ups they con-do-ne and have facilitated. Thank you CNN for staying on top of this. I mentioned in an earlier post that In fact, priests seem to abuse children at the SAME RATE as everyone else. The issue here is and always has been the COVER-UP. It is time to hold those accountable for facilit-ating the abuse and putting their sorry as-ses in jail. I think the statute of limitations should be lifted in these cases. In other cases (typically) the offending adults are fired from their jobs and prosecuted by the legal system.

October 29, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
    • HeavenSent

You still don't get it! That's because you don't read the Bible. Jesus told us to send rapists back to Him. He will judge them, man can not. Now you know why the church is playing their games.

Amen.

October 29, 2011 at 7:34 pm |

@HS
      I am still waiting for you to anwer my questions from earlier today. This is supposed to be a give and take. You ask a question, I answer and vice versa. You never answer. The reason you don't answer is because you are uneducated and you can't. By the way, reading Bible Study web sites is not the same as reading the Bilble. I, like many other athiests and agnostics have read the Bible and find myself teaching Christians their own religion all the time. It is pathetic. Answer some questions if you want to play. Otherwise you should just go to your church meetings and talk to other people who think like you. I am sure the embrace you there as much as we embrace you here.

October 29, 2011 at 7:55 pm |
    • Father O'blivion

@HS
      That is on account of you being so sweet darlin'

October 29, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
    • Sheik yerbouti

@HS
      Just in case you forgot what questions you didn't bother to respond to:

1. What happened to the souls of the people that lived 200,000 years ago who missed Jesus by about 198,000 years and all the people inbetween? If you have to accept Christ to know God, how can they have known God?

2. Why do you sign all your posts with "Amen"? “Amen” has been generally adopted in Christian worship as a concluding word for prayers and hymns.

Are you Jewish? In that case are you using it as an interjection, adverb, or noun?

October 29, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
  6. victim in pa

Read the blog,

October 29, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
  7. Sheik Yerbouti

Good morning!

October 29, 2011 at 11:51 am |
  8. Rick

They may be out of range of prosecution, but not of vigilanties

October 29, 2011 at 9:00 am |
  9. Rick

Poor, poor Catholics.....so maligned. Brings a tear to my cheek, it does

October 29, 2011 at 8:59 am |
  10. kimsland

it is unlikely Aguilar will ever be arrested in Mexico.
    What is it about Mexico exactly? Are they like Iraq or something?
    Seriously probably time the US starts going to get these accused criminals and then put them behind bars.
    Doesn't Mexico care or something, or are they all a bit dumb?
    To me it's quite obvious that Mexico do not understand humans and have no respect for children, or they are just plain pathetic?
    I don't understand how is accused people run to Mexico then everything is water under the bridge.

By the way, if adults want to waste their life and go to church so be it.
    But as soon as you become parents know this. They are NOT gods children they are YOUR children, and you NEED to STILL take responsibility and care for them.
    Extremely commonly in church, the adults go one way and the kids go the other. I mean what the hell are you thinking? Go with that old man because he's closer to god, this is just ludicrous.

OK I get it, churchies just don't understand this common sense basic point. NEVER leave your kids with ANY other man that could possibly have access to your child whilst alone, I mean, is this actually ok in your mind? Why are there thousands of stories like this, NO one has the child's best interests at heart.

October 29, 2011 at 8:01 am |
    • AGuest9

Not sure, kimsland, But THIS country had better get ITS act together, because WE are starting to more resemble Mexico every day, lawlessness included.

October 29, 2011 at 9:00 am |
    • rafaMEX

Iraq actually had a fairly good legal system, now totally destroyed with the US #ocuppyIRAQ. We in the other hand never had one but we didn’t really need one, 10 yrs ago I could leave my car open at night in Poza Rica Veracruz, all that is gone.

October 29, 2011 at 11:28 am |
  11. AvdBerg

For a better understanding of child s_ex abuse by the clergy we invite you to read the article ‘S_exual Abuse in the Churches’, listed on our website http://www.aworlddeceived.ca

Also, to give people a better understanding of the issues that divide this world we have recently added the article ‘CNN Belief Blog ~ Sign of the Times’ to our listing of articles.

All of the other pages and articles listed on our website explain how this whole world has been deceived as confirmed by the Word of God in Revelation 12:9. The Bible is true in all things and is the discerner of every thought and the intent of the heart (Hebrews 5:12).

October 29, 2011 at 7:30 am |
    • Ned Nickerson and Nancy play golf with Mortimer

"better understanding" = code for : "MY understanding is best, and you poor little dumb sheep need help, and I only feel comfortable if others are are small minded as I am."

October 29, 2011 at 8:16 am |
    • Observer

Still peddling hypocrisy from someone who has so little integrity that they make false allegations against others.

October 29, 2011 at 10:44 am |
    • Stan

AvdBerg is blogspamming about his website again. Report Abuse time.

October 29, 2011 at 11:41 am |
  12. Bo

This story is disgusting, these preists are disgusting. Nonetheless, I don't know why this is a belief issue, it is a legal issue. There is nothing here of: I believe–you believe, every reader, believer or none believer, who has any decentcy knows this is wrong, so it is an issue of what should be done. There are no convents in Mexico, do you know why? Perhaps there should be no Chatholic churches for the same reason.

October 29, 2011 at 6:37 am |
    • JT

It's in the belief blog because the root cause and entire enabling process is a cult where parents have decided that old "celebate" men in robes who takes your confession and passes it on to god for you are somehow more than human. Gulible people who shun reason in favor of delusions are susceptible to being victims of this tax exempt pedophile infested organization.

October 29, 2011 at 9:04 am |
  13. RD

This only one of the MANY reasons I no longer follow the Catholic religion. This completely ashamed me. And anyone who is still in the Catholic religion and isn't ashamed is sick and demented. For a full list on reasons why I don't follw the Catholic religion, just let me know and I will post evey reason why.

I still believe in God, I always will. But the Catholic religion are full of hypocritical idiots who don't know how to tell the difference between God and Satan.

October 29, 2011 at 4:53 am |
    • JT

Good for you. If only more Catholics could step out of their brainwashed deluded state and see that they are really a supporter of child rapists and of a pedophile infested cultt.

October 29, 2011 at 9:08 am |
  14. Sheik Yerbouti

Hello Father,
    Am I blessed by God?
    Well my son, you must fulfill certain duties.
    Duties?
    Indeed.
    What shall I do Father.
    Take out your tally whacker and let me see it.
    Now let’s compare it to mine. This is fun right?
    Here, you suck mine and will suck yours. It is God’s will.

Thanks Catholics.
    God.

October 29, 2011 at 3:16 am |
  15. Sheik Yerbouti

"O.FF" the kids. Sor-ry. C.an't belie.ve you are defen-ding the.se sc.um bags. You are si-ck.

Oh and news break! Is-lam, Hin-dus and Jud-aism are in the news every day! Do you live under a ro-ck?

October 29, 2011 at 3:02 am |
  16. Brad

Are you kidding me? CNN ignores dozens of cases of child abuse in public schools that appear each week but never, ever lets some negative story about Catholics go unnoticed...

Also, there are tons of positive stories on Islam, Hindus and Judaism etc but only negative for Catholics - face it CNN BELIEF BLOG you and your editor are ANTI CATHOLIC! This is why no one watches CNN, liberal propaganda...

October 29, 2011 at 1:47 am |

@Brad

Yes and thank go.odness CNN understands exactly what you said. However, they also understand that the Catholic church is involved in CRIMINAL activity, NOT JUST BY ASSOCIATION, but by the very cover-ups they con-do-ne and have facilitated. Thank you CNN for staying on top of this. I mentioned in an earlier post that In fact, priests seem to abuse children at the SAME RATE as everyone else. The issue here is and always has been the COVER-UP. It is time to hold those accountable for facilit-ating the abuse and putting their sorry as-ses in jail. I think the statute of limitations should be lifted in these cases.

October 29, 2011 at 2:46 am |

@brad
      What do you base the statement that CNN ignores dozens of cases of child abuse in public schools that appear each week? In those cases, covered or not, the offending adults are fired and prosecuted. How can you compare that to this?? You are an idiot. Go back to watching FOX and try to keep you hands of the kids PEDO.

October 29, 2011 at 2:49 am |
    • Sheik Yerbouti

Oh and breaking news! Is-lam, Hin-dus and Jud-aism are in the news every day! Do you live under a ro-ck?

October 29, 2011 at 3:03 am |
    • AGuest9

EVERY story doesn't get published. There are just so many that it isn't possible, and many STILL suffer in silence.

October 29, 2011 at 6:57 am |
  17. Reality

The "vomit-inducing" ped-ophilia and coverup will simply hasten the elimination of all religions as we know them. It is time to replace all religions with a few rules like "Do No Harm" and convert all houses of "worthless worship" to recreation facilities and parks.

October 29, 2011 at 12:06 am |
    • Sheik Yerbouti

Parks, by the way, are great places to worship if you can't let go of your imaginary friend.

October 29, 2011 at 1:14 am |
  18. Mr Chihuahua

Skin him alive at a soccer game lol!

October 28, 2011 at 11:53 pm |
  19. Ned Nickerson and Nancy play golf with Mortimer

"Nearly 6,000 priests have been accused of molesting children in the United States since the 1950s, according to the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops". Funny, we know of one bishop who himself abused boys. He will never be brought to justice. He is too powerful, and even the local FBI won't touch him.

October 28, 2011 at 11:08 pm |
    • Sheik Yerbouti

I want to play golf with Mortimer!

October 28, 2011 at 11:37 pm |
    • Triple Bogey

Horrid to think of this powerful bishop getting away with it, Ned. Even if you named him though, I'm sure I've never heard of him. If so many people have been hoodwinked by him, they deserve what they get - I guess that they are real happy toadies and sycophants, bowing and kissing his ring.

October 29, 2011 at 12:03 am |
  20. Sheik Yerbouti

I am no fan of Catholics, or priests, or religion, however, the priesthood is being cast as the refuge of pederasts. In fact, priests seem to abuse children at the same rate as everyone else. The issue here is and always has been the cover-up. It is time to hold those accountable for facilitating the abuse and putting their sorry as-ses in jail. I think the statute of limitations should be lifted in these cases.

October 28, 2011 at 11:03 pm |
    • David in Cincinnati

Well, you'd expect the holier-than-thou-s to act holier if they are in fact holier.

October 30, 2011 at 9:11 pm |