home
RSS
A Christian debate over Halloween: Counter, co-opt, or embrace it?
October 28th, 2011

A Christian debate over Halloween: Counter, co-opt, or embrace it?

Editor's note: Listen to the CNN Radio broadcast about the debate: By Jim Roope, CNN

Los Angeles (CNN) - For many American Christians, Halloween is innocent, harmless and fun, and they trick-or-treat, carve pumpkins and don costumes with gusto.

For others, though – especially for some conservative and fundamentalist Christians - Halloween is a celebration of evil and has no place in the life of a believer.

Halloween fun facts: Spending, eating and carving

“We don’t endorse that or we don’t celebrate that,” said Joe Hernandez, pastor of Worshipwalk Church in Los Angeles, which belongs to the conservative Pentecostal tradition. “People are celebrating the devil’s holiday.”

Halloween’s roots are believed to date back 1,400 years, to the Irish-pagan New Year’s celebration. The Celtic New Year began on November 1. People would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off roaming ghosts and evil spirits.

Movies that scare the people who scare us

Some Christians, like Hernandez, believe Halloween’s pagan roots can open the door to evil. That’s why Worshipwalk is hosting a harvest festival in its church parking lot on Monday, with kids’ games and face painting.

Hernandez calls it harvesting hearts for God.

Some conservative churches go a step further, attempting to co-opt the holiday with haunted houses - called “hell houses” - that are designed to give a glimpse of eternal damnation in hopes of strengthening faith.

“There’s Satan’s lies and there’s Jesus’ redemption and there’s a message that will change your life,” said Keenan Roberts, who says he is the inventor of the hell house, which people walk or call through, just as they would a haunted house.

I was a zombie movie extra

“It’s designed to reach the ‘sight and sound’ age,” said Roberts. “The message is sacred but the method is not.”

Hell houses can be graphic. In Roberts’ hell house – which he markets through his Hell House Ministries – live actors depict scenes of abortion, rape, suicide and murder, though the journey through the house culminates in scenes of redemption through Jesus.

Pastor of the fundamentalist New Destiny church near Denver, Colorado, Roberts said that his ministry has received a lot of criticism for what critics say is “going too far.”

But he said today’s kids are so desensitized that he will do whatever it takes to get the message of salvation to take root.

Avoiding sexy costumes for kids

Mainline Protestants tend to take a much softer line on Halloween, with some mainline churches embracing it.

“Halloween for me is a time to have fun,” said Wayne Walters, pastor at the First United Methodist Church in Burbank, California. “I remember growing up - on Halloween I went trick-or-treating. I was in it for the candy.”

“And at Christmas I put out cookies and milk for Santa Claus, who always took time to sit down and enjoy them,” he continued. “None of those I think had a negative influence, destroyed or diminished my faith, he said.”

Walters says that many non-religious traditions associated with Christian holidays, including Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, hardly mean those holidays are non-Christian.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Halloween

soundoff (3,144 Responses)
  1. Raevyn

Funny thing....if you include a quote from the article in your comment that includes the awful things depicted by these christians in their "hell house" CNN blocks it. Nice.

October 29, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
  2. Lisa

It evil to become desensitized to death and treat it as a game or joke. That is what Halloween does. It also seems to make it okay to be a witch or some other evil character. The Bible states it is a sin to commit witchcraft.

I know the Bible is true because I have done historical research through even non-Christian historical accounts. I have prayed and seen God answer prayers, including the healing of my heart condition. I have been healed of the Holy Spirit and followed the words of the Bible and gained wisdom. For instance, the Bible states, "A gentle answer turns away anger, but a harsh word stirs up wrath." Prov.15:1

October 29, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
    • Zombie Jesus!

But wait till you see me in my Zombie Jesus costume! You'll LOVE it!

October 29, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • FFT

Never use religious references when making an argument. Only to people with your same faith will the words hold any meaning or weight. I look at it as the weak minded brain washed individuals grasping at meaning in life with no free will of their own. I have nothing against religion, just make sound arguments everyone can relate to if you actually want to change someone's mind. All you do when you make references to the Bible to support your position is push people away.

October 29, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
    • Ground Zero

**** Lisa

---------------------------------------------–
      Raising people from the dead
      Turning water into wine
      Sounds like witchcraft to me.

October 29, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
    • FFT

It is ok to be a Witch. Actually Wickens (Sp ?) are a recognized religion in America. That is part of being American, religious tolerance and mutual respect. Hold on to your faith but respect the right of others to have their own. That is why I am Agnostic, I can look at them all with an open mind. Even if I were Christian, I would not give up Halloween, absolute best Holliday.

October 29, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • Gingerpeach

FFT, you miss the point, it is our free will we are using. Our free will to belong to a church, our free will to follow the Scriptures and our free will to believe in our Lord and Savior.

October 29, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • FFT

No, actually I have not missed that point at all. Your free will to follow your own faith is something I absolutely support. If that is how you feel about Halloween I actually respect that. What I am saying is respect my free will to enjoy the Holiday and to see nothing wrong with it. If you actually want to make an argument trying to change my mind I am suggesting you not use religious references to support your argument. It holds absolutely no weight with me. I've never read the Bible and have no desire to.

October 29, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
    • FFT

Re-Posting this statement to this thread: Agnostic, Halloween is my fav Holliday. I say Holliday because I actually take a day off in celebration. I grew up in the country and never really got to do it. Now that I am grown up I get to enjoy it. I love seeing all the little kids come by for candy all dressed up in their cute little costumes. I love the decorations. It is fun. As far as religion and Holidays, even Christmas was never a religious Holiday for me. The birth of Christ has nothing to do with what I celebrate on Christmas. Christmas to me has always been a family holiday, a time of giving and good will. Where I am not offended by the term "Merry Christmas", and I do not celebrate Honica (sp ?) I am not Christian, know very little about the religion, and again do not see my celebration of Christmas as a religious thing at all.

October 29, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
    • Kenneth

Lisa, why won't god heal amputees? Many amputees are good people and have sincerely asked to have god grow their limbs back, but it has never, ever happened. In fact, amputees aside, in statistical studies, prayer for anything has been show to have no discernible effect.

Your post was stupid, and your god doesn't exist. Get over it and move on.

October 29, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
    • FFT

I feel Halloween should be a National Holiday. It would be great. I think the Holiday has earned that. It has stood the test of time, given some a way to cope with their fears at an early age, and encouraged community spirit and trust. Far from just seeing it as harmless I see it as a good thing and loads of fun.

October 29, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
    • BucketDrop

Lisa, another way to think of evil is that it is evil to think another human being who worships differently than you (witch or priest of Baal, or someone who doesn't worship at all, such as a atheist) as an evil person, unless that person actively harms (physically) someone else. Applying the label "evil" demeans and degrades a class of humanity to the point where other humans may do physical violence to them to "prevent the evil" such as the old murders of witches and others by the Christian authorities. The logic used to go, "is it not better to pull the evil weed in the garden before it spreads and fills the garden with weeds?" This is the argument used to hurt others by religious authorities for thousands of years. Even the "great" Martin Luther wrote a 60,000 word treatise degrading a whole segment of humanity (it was called "On J-e-w-s and their lies") and was quoted extensively by the Germans and their twisted theories before WWII. Is it not evil to believe your neighbor will be sent to an eternal torment for the simple reason that they did not believe in the deity you believed in? Is it not evil to create a living thinking being with free will through which will most likely cause them to end up in a place of eternal torment (or do you not believe in the narrow path, that most people will not find God)? This implies your deity is evil. I hope what I have said is gentle enough and I "pray" that it is effective.

October 29, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
    • BucketDrop

Also, I couldn't agree more with Proverbs 15:1. It is advice that has been given in eastern religion as well and just a matter of common sense. Us atheists find truth wherever it may be. However a post area like this usually is for those who are enjoying a little "flame" time under the wonderful anonymity of the internet 😉

October 29, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • Lisa

I am not trying to convince people through sound arguments, alone. Yes, sound arguments are good. But I believe in the power of speaking scripture into people's lives. God's word is a living word. Speaking the truth will set people free whether they think the Bible itself is correct or not.

October 29, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
    • Lisa

God does heal amputees. I have heard of people in Africa actually growing parts of legs. There is probably more faith in Africa because they have less access to health care and are more willing to believe.

October 29, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • BucketDrop

Lisa, I too believe that speaking the truth will set you free. Many years ago, when I was a Christian (for ~30 years), I would pray that God show me the truth of his word. I was confused by all of the contradiction I read throughout the Bible and tried to make sense of it. I kept my mind open and one day I realized that the truth I had found was not in Christianity at all, but in science and logic. That day was a harrowing experience, but it was worth it. I with you the best for your search for truth and hope that you will always keep an open mind. Accept the best advice of Christianity and you will no doubt have a wonderful life. Accept the worst advice (such as demeaning others and believing they are actually "evil") and may "god' have mercy upon your soul.

October 29, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
    • Kenneth

Lisa, again, why won't god heal amputees? Cite one docu-mented case where god has ever healed an amputee. Supply a reference link. I bet it won't stand up to investigation.

Your post was stupid, and your god doesn't exist. Get over it and move on.

October 29, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
    • Alex

Which to me means, If it isn't broken, don't fix it!!

October 29, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • Motar

Kenneth: Why doesn't God heal amputees?

"And one of them struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his right ear. But Jesus answered, 'No more of this!' And he touched the man's ear and healed him." (Luke 22:50-51)

October 29, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
    • FFT

Well you keep believing reading scripture will change someone's mind. You might as well be reading bingo card numbers. Again, has absolutely no meaning. Actually sounds like incoherent ramblings. The whole ear thing, you got to be kidding. Never happened, impossible. Someone made it up and you read and eat it up as truth. Tell me about the kids forced to chop off their parents hands because drug pushers in Africa were stealing them as troops. You are crazy if you believe that. Where I do respect your right to believe what you want I am simply saying, if you are trying to pull someone over to your side try and sound sane, make sound arguments, and appeal to them from a perspective they can relate to.

October 29, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
    • Lisa

Honestly, maybe the amputees who were not healed just did not have the faith and humility to be healed. Also, God cannot be placed into a box and sometimes we don't know why they were not healed. You cannot tell God what to do. He tells you what is right and just. He is the omniscient one. I have not personally observed an amputee healed. I have seen people regain their hearing.

October 29, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
    • FFT

If you believe faith will grow back a fully functional limb go ahead and chop off a finger holding onto faith to grow it back. I'm not actually suggesting you do this, I'm saying it to illustrate a point. I think in your heart you know the truth is it will hurt really badly and maybe a hospital can re-attach it but it will definitely not just grow back because of your faith in God. I'm not questioning your faith in God but saying you have to be rational enough to admit it isn't just going to grow back. If you really believe that you would have drank the Kool-Aid in wait for the aliens ship to pick you up. Your right, I do not tell God what to do. In turn he has never told me a thing either, remember, I do not read the Bible and your references to scripture have no meaning to me.

October 29, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
    • FFT

I actually believe in the possibility of an afterlife, even of a supreme being. I am humble enough to admit I do not have all the answers. I do not know the truth of the afterlife, I have no experience in such matters. One day I will but for now I keep an open mind. I hold the possibility that Atheist may even have it right and there is no afterlife. I however do not like being automatically lumped with Atheist. Maybe some ancient religion long since dead had it right. Maybe we all have it wrong. All I can do is live my life the best way I know and follow my own heart. Be true to myself and have no regrets on how I lived this life. The biggest problem I have with religion is for you to be right, everyone else has to be wrong.

October 29, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
    • FFT

As far as the Israel thing goes.... I have nothing against Israel on a personal level. I realize America needs strategic allies in the region. I do however believe they are as much to blame as the Palestinians for the problems going on over there. Why America insists on supporting them through all the Headache our relationship with them has caused is beyond me. The Nation of Israel has even attacked American policy and sabotaged our efforts to broker a fair deal in the region. They are arrogant and inflexible. If they believe their faith will save them let them stand alone without our support. If they truly want our support try to help the situation rather than antagonize it. I have no problem with America pulling support from Israel.

October 29, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
  3. Tahdah!

I am a Christian, and I enjoy celebrating Halloween - as do my Christian friends. I throw a Halloween costume party every year, like going to scary movies, and love trick-or-treaters. It has nothing to do with my Christian faith. Please don't judge all Christians by a small group of narrow-minded fundamentalists. That would be like saying every atheist is a devil-worshiper!

October 29, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
  4. DarknessRadiant

Christians should be embracing if not outright co-opting; they worship a Zombie every mass and especially at Easter

October 29, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
    • Zombie Jesus!

What a brilliant idea for a truly horrific Halloween costume!

October 29, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
    • Magic

Yes, they resent (and fear) competing myths... even though, except for a few nutcases, we acknowledge that the spo.oky magic of Halloween is imaginary and for entertainment purposes only. They claim that their dripping-with-blood man on a cross actually speaks to them and performs tricks with reality.

October 29, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
  5. getoverit

So do these churches also celebrate Xmas on the 25 of December? Because I'll give you one guess as to why Christians celebrate Xmas at that date. YUP it is celebrated when it is because of a Pagan holiday.

October 29, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
  6. Daniel in Canada

Stories like this make me glad I'm a Born Against Christian.

October 29, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
    • Ground Zero

*** Daniel in Canada

Stories like this make me glad I'm a Born Against Christian.
      -----------------------------
      How do you become born again ?
      Do you crawl back into the womb ?

Oh, you said "born against".......never mind

October 29, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
  7. DPLJLB

Born Again Christians suck pumpkin seeds-

October 29, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
  8. NorthVanCan

I can't think of enything stupid enough to describe religious people. Sorry.

October 29, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
    • Lisa

This country is being cursed because of our immorality and turning away from God. When we followed God, we were blessed. We have also abandoned Israel.

We are not stupid or judgmental. When you are filled with the Holy Spirit, you know what you believe is true. We are just trying to tell other people about the truth before it is too late.

October 29, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • Oh the Irony!

How about spelling 'anything' 'enything'? That's pretty stupid!

October 29, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
    • ariel

The very name and traditions of Halloween came from the church. On All Hallows Day the night before was All Hallow Eve (Hallow Eve | Halloweve | Halloween ) created by the pope, children would go door to door asking for cakes and sweets (soul cakes) and it was thought that the child that got the most was most blessed and beloved. The name came through the natural tendency of language to soften and combine frequently used words together. Even the original tradition was about warding off evil spirits.

Anyone whom believes this Halloween is evil stuff isn't stupid but they are being misled by pastors that didn't bother to research the history of the holiday and instead jumped on a bandwagon of lazy religion.

October 29, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
  9. mcore

Christians always ruin everything.

October 29, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
  10. tallulah13

413 comments on the story about a child murdered in the name of god. 2473 about the evils of Halloween.

October 29, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
    • *frank*

Yep, it speaks volumes...

October 29, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  11. TryFocusing

I'm glad to see this article, but feel it slightly misses the point.
    Halloween, from when I was a kid, to today, has changed. For us it was about candy and costumes. Slowly, almost imperceptibly, the celebration is becoming darker, with more emphasis on fear than fun. This is what most Christians are opposed to, and following their faith, are beginning to pull away from the celebration.

October 29, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • tallulah13

I think every child that goes trick-or-treating or to a Halloween party will disagree with you. Superheroes, cartoon characters and princesses seem to dominate the costume market for children again this year.

October 29, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • getoverit

It only seems darker cause you are older and more attuned to the adult entertainment aspect of Halloween. It has not changed.

October 29, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
    • TryFocusing

tallulah13, I see your poiint, and I know kids enjoy trick or treeting. We keep candy by the door, and love the visits. But I think you will also see my point if you watch some of the mainstream representations of Halloween. It is not all nice little kids going door to door, but I wish it was.

October 29, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
    • TryFocusing

getoverit, You certainly may be right, in fact, I hope that you're right

October 29, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
    • watchman5

I agree. The bible says in Romans that if you think it is wrong to do, it is wrong for "you". If you think it is a celebration of evil, then it is that way for you. If you think of it as a child's fun holiday, then it is. You are correct in saying that fear and evil in the media and in the world has increased. So, we have to be careful and not allow those things to reach our childrens ears, and make sure they are safe while trick or treating, decorate with smiling faces of pumpkins only...no witches...no scary faces or black cats or skeletons, and go through their candy to make sure it is not contaminated...because evil abounds on earth everyday and some people are evil and mean enough to think it is fun to hurt and scare others.

October 29, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
    • BucketDrop

I disagree with this. Violence and the talk about violence, even on Halloween, has been going down the last three decades (see "Better Angels of our Nature," just published). You are probably experiencing the common age-related incorrect perception that the youth today are more violent, spiritually darker, etc., and this is probably related to how old you are compared to how old they are.

October 29, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • FFT

October 29, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • TryFocusing

BucketDrop – I don't perceive the youth of today as more violent, and my points are not about kids going door to door, looking for candy. Trick or Treat is fine fun. But is one commanded to fully accept and celebrate something they feel is evil? Above all, I agree that Christians should use the Bible as a precise shield more often than use it as a sledge hammer.

October 29, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • WhoDoYouThinkYouAre?

God told you to fear him. Why aren't Christians opposed to that? Thou worship a cruel and angry God.

October 29, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
  12. dandiwer

ugh christians are so stupid;.

October 29, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • christopher

No, they are not stupid. They are arrogant. The type of arrogance that allows any insignificant human being to state with absolute certainty that they know where the Universe and all life within originated form. That type of arrogance is why they have to interfere in everyone else's life and can't mind their own business. When you have all the answers and have achieved human perfection what else can you do with your time but tell everyone else how to live??

October 29, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
    • watchman5

Your point of view is very sad and hopeless. When you stand at the death bed of someone you love, will you think they will be gone forever? No heaven..no afterlife... no God to help? Very very sad.

October 29, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
    • nick

watchman5

no God to help? It's your idea of life that is so sad, not being able to deal with the realities of life to the point where you have to make up fantasies of seeing your loved ones again in a fairy tale land as a coping mechanism... I can't imagine

October 29, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
  13. logan5

Christians persecuted and slaughtered Pagans by the thousands many centuries ago. Yet to this day the persecution continues and their reaction toward Halloween is evidence of this. And Christians claim they are the ones being persecuted LOL.
    Ummm...what ever happened to the "peace, love, and tolerance" thing??

October 29, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
  14. PageForward

If the conservative christians think we should not celebrate Halloween, then they should acknowledge that the country as a whole should not celebrate Christmas, ie we should all go to work on Christmas, since there is no more proof for their mythological creature than there is for ghosts and goblins and magic pumpkins.

October 29, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
    • Lisa

There is proof. Read the non-Christian historical accounts of Jesus. Even they testify to the truth of the Bible. I also have been healed of a terminal heart condition. I'll bet you have not even done any signicant historical research on Jesus.

October 29, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
  15. RBN

Is there anything religion can't screw up? Next, Christians should just co-opt Islam. Problem solved! Peace at last!

October 29, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
    • hillbilleter

It isn't religion that screws up people, but people who screw up a perfectly viable religion. Over the ages, Christianity isn't the only religion that selfish, autocratic and cruel persons have used to further their own personal agendas – taking properties, liberties and lives just because they want them – using religion to justify their actions. Just as self aggrandizing humans use governing bodies to further their own interests, ruining perfectly good systems of government for everyone.

Halloween predates Christianity, so there really isn't a devil or Satan to deal with on Halloween; therefore, the annual media kerfuffle pitting one against the other makes little sense in the way that they stage it.

October 29, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • watchman5

Christianity is the root, foundation, and morals our country was built on. That is why America offers freedom and justice FOR ALL. Evil is pervasive, and it has seeped into your thoughts.

October 29, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
  16. Cat MacLeod

Let people who talk to invisible bearded men in the sky spoil their own fun. Just don't let them spoil yours.

October 29, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
  17. JJ White

Sorry for the typos...its not that I don't know how, I just don't proof read my bad typing sometimes. Arthritis really sucks!

October 29, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
  18. Tommy

Halloween – and the traditions associated with it – began as the medieval Christian Church in Britian co-opted the Celtic harvest festival of Samhain, a festival that focused much on the realities of death in the natural order. So, for the Christians of England, The Eve of All Saints became a time to mock death and all the scary things associated with it, such as ghosts, monsters, ghouls, etc. Dressing up in ghoulish costumes (a custom that has since died off almost everywhere else except in America) was a way for the Christian Church to make fun of death (and Satan who they saw as the lord of death). The Protestants, who cut themselves off from their pre-Reformation roots, have forgotten this. Not remembering what Halloween is supposed to be, they have decided that the tradition must be satanic, as is everything else that they don't understand. Christians therefore should reclaim their roots and traditions and dress up as the most ghoulish thing they can possibly think of and mock the devil till the devil can't take it anymore!

October 29, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
    • mcore

Excellent, thoughtful analysis. You're right on the mark.

October 29, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
    • Pavan

Brilliant! Thanks for speaking the truth, and giving a little history lesson for the ignorant. For that matter, Christmas was originally a pagan celebration as well, taken over by the Christians many centuries ago.

October 29, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
  19. logan5

Ironically, Paganism sought to frighten away evil spirits NOT to attract and worship them. And since Pagans had no concept of the Christian god they also had no concept of the Christian anti-god (Satan). So to accuse them of devil worship is quite asinine. Pagans worshiped "nature" just as the Native Americans did as well as many many other cultures throughout history. Amazing how a belief system predicated on "peace and love" can be so intolerant toward those of other beliefs. I have nothing against rational, open-minded Christians, but the ones that continue to hold and promote these silly, absurd archaic points of view are a hell of a lot more frightening than any Pagans!

October 29, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • JJ White

I see a coulpe more intelligent people are posting...I starting to think I was the only one who thinks before a say or preach something that is not 100% supported by facts. Thanks you Logan5 and Raevyn.

October 29, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
    • peick

Your argument presumes that whatever a religion thinks it is worshiping is what it actually is worshiping. In the Christian milieu, Satan deceives people into believing lies and can appear even as an "angel of light." So if you are worshiping a "harmless" pagan deity that is all about "good and light," and if that deity is not real but a deception of Satan (which we believe it is), then you are worshiping the devil indirectly.

October 29, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
    • John Richardson

@peick Then again, by your logic, maybe Satan is deceiving you.

October 29, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
  20. Raevyn

So if you're a christian then don't celebrate Halloween. Leave it to us Pagans and mind your own business. Oh wait...christians are baaad at that. As for the "harvest for god thingy"....it's sorta what Caesar did when he needed to create a holiday to satisfy the christians during Saturnalia to keep them from being tempted by the fun holiday....he invented Christmas.

October 29, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
    • peick

Interesting, Raevyn. So you can post an opinion on a site that is talking about Christian observance/nonobservance of Halloween and accuse Christians of being bad at minding their own business? Why is it that people who hate Christians are always so judgmental and never see it? Christians are the judgmental ones, remember? Leave it to us.

October 29, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
    • John Richardson

No, peick. The problem isn't that christians are judgmental. Everyone with a moral outlook makes judgements. No, the problem is that christians' judgment tends to be so spectacularly poor.

October 29, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • Raevyn

What I am posting on is the Belief blog. How are my beliefs of lesser importance? And I'm commenting because lies are being spewed by christians about a holiday that has been maligned and attacked for centuries based on campaigns of misinformation conducted by the christian community. Nice try at the "hypocrisy" strategy though.

October 29, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • tallulah13

@peick

"Christians are the judgmental ones, remember? Leave it to us."

Nice mea culpa.

October 29, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
    • hillbilleter

So, Raevyn, you're saying that your philosophies are superior to all other philosophies on Earth? Well, everyone believes that very same way. So in a way, we are all in agreement about something.

October 29, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
    • Raevyn

In no way did I state that my beliefs were superior. If you read the article though, I think you will have to agree that the christians this article is talking about DO believe their beliefs are superior. Therein lies the problem.

October 29, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • Daelda

Almost all Christian holidays were originally Pagan holidays that the Christians "re-branded" because it is much easier to get someone to keep on celebrating a current holiday and change a few things about it, than it is to get them to stop. People LIKE their holidays! Especially because they usually mean they don't have to work that day, or the Land Owner gives them a feast or something. Bunnies and eggs have *nothing* to do with Christ – but have everything to do with fertility and spring. What are bunnies known for? Yup! Making MORE bunnies!

So go ahead and celebrate Halloween! It isn't like it has any more meaning than what you put into it. Just like Yule, or Ester, or any number of other holidays.

October 29, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66
About this blog