home
RSS
November 2nd, 2011

What terrifies an atheist

(CNN) -  Famed filmmaker John Landis brought the world "An American Werewolf in Paris" and Michael Jackson's "Thriller," but nothing scares him more than people.

In this video the avowed atheist, tells CNN's Nima Elbagir why he thinks “we make stuff up” about monsters, religion, and the devil.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Movies

soundoff (2,057 Responses)
  1. anon

So religous people are foolish and not that smart? And atheists, a quite miniscule percentage of people who are presented the same gifts and shortcomings in life are really the "smart" ones? They are the true "thinkers' in society? WHO is arrogant? I have a question for some of you "thinkers": There are literally millions of eye witness accounts of the supernatural throughout history. One of many of these accounts involve the issue of ghosts. There are millions of eye witness accounts of ghosts through the years, and hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of photographs through the years. Most of them are hallucinations or fabrications, true, however, would ANYONE out there in atheist land tell me what the mathmatical probability is that EACH AND EVERY account and/or photograph is fake or not based on an actual ghost sighting? I'm not a brilliant atheist thinker. I'm among the majority who is still foolish enough to believe in a supreme all knowing God, so of course I need help on this math problem.

If I were an atheist, I would be afraid of ghosts.

November 15, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
    • Tallulah13

I ain't 'fraid of no ghosts.

November 18, 2011 at 11:45 am |
  2. starbucksjunkie

Gods and dogma are created, borrowed, and shared by men to insure property and mating rights. The only reason religion is so successful is that it caters to a male's agenda to subjegate and conquer others especially women and other cultures. Anyone that reads the Bible for comprehension will pull these themes, especially the Old testament.

Its easier to get people to fall in line and edure a miserable existance when you promise them eternal life for their obedience. Now get to work building my pyramid!

November 15, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
  3. WVLady63

Death??????

November 15, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
  4. Answer

I'm an atheist and the correct answer is death. Wow losing consciousness sounds terrible.

November 15, 2011 at 11:09 am |
  5. Atheist

Do you people ever fact check? The film was "American Werewolf in London", not Paris. Atheist here, not terrified by anything.

November 15, 2011 at 10:42 am |
    • Kathy O'Connor

There were two movies, American Werewolf in London (1981) and American Werewolf in Paris (1997) both by Landis.

November 15, 2011 at 12:25 pm |
    • Manley

Landis did not direct or produce Paris.

November 15, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
  6. Voice of Reason

Religion was invented by man because they are AFRAID. Afraid of what happens after they die. Unable to accept the idea that dust returns to dust and life ends permanently. If you want to put your faith in lies, feel free, but don't be to disappointed when your "God" or "Allah" or whomever you worship turns out to be nothing more than an empty hope.

November 15, 2011 at 8:42 am |
    • Need Proof

It's unfortunate that many make their argument based on feelings or the limited knowledge of their belief without having all the facts. I’m an analytical to the point of fault because I spend too much time researching and not enough action. But because of this fault, I’m very firm in my belief. I’ve researched many of the major religions/beliefs and many are compelling and most have a familiar thread but only one has the proof that I needed. Many will choose to stop reading here because they’ve figured out where I’m going but that shows the unwillingness to consider any other option, which is the same fault that you complain about; I ask that you take just a moment to consider my point of view.
      The Old Testament was written thousands of years ago. Many of the prophecies were written 500 to 800 years before Jesus Christ. Many of these prophecies have been fulfilled with pinpoint accuracy. You can search for Bible Prophecies fulfilled and find numerous sites with details. The few that stick out the most are related the rebirth of Israel. Jeremiah 32:37-41 talks about Jews returning to Israel which was written between 626 and 586 BC. It’s also discussed in Ezekiel 37:15-19 which was written around 590BC. And one of the strongest prophecies, IMHO, is Isaiah 66:7-8 which talks about Israel being born in one day with the “labor pains” (i.e.: war and struggles that normally come with becoming a nation) only occurring after the land has become a nation. This occurred in 1948 in one day. Never before has there been a civilization that was scattered as the Jews were and their language lost, come back together along with their language and reestablish their nation (all of which is foretold in the Bible).
      I’m really over simplifying all of this because there is soooo much more to each of these events. You can actually pinpoint God’s punishment on the Jews starting around 2900 years ago and do the math and come out to 1948 as the exact data that they would be reestablished as a nation (search for Daniel’s 70 week prophecy fulfilled for the full details). While there is some possibility that the Bible’s translation has caused a diminishing effect, it’s undeniable that these prophecies couldn’t have been foreshadowed by the Romans when they were deciding what goes into the Bible and what doesn’t back in 500 – 1000 AD. This is real evidence for those that need science to prove something although it’s true that science has admitted its limitations on proving Creation thus the keyword “theory”. Finally, you can even research the Jewish calendar and find that it appears they intentionally modified their calendar so the 70 week prophecy didn’t fit the timeframe of Jesus Christ however the problem is, their calendar indicates that the Messiah should have come within 100 years after based on this prophecy….strange that they can’t piece this together but that also falls in line with the Bible and God’s relationship with the Jews.
      Thanks for listening/reading

November 15, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
  7. Hopeful

I pray for the end of religion

November 14, 2011 at 11:52 pm |
    • JerseyGirl1116

To whom?

November 15, 2011 at 11:30 am |
  8. keith a dewey

Religion is that which you hold sacred. A religious person may or may not believe in a deity. An Atheist can be very religious.

November 14, 2011 at 11:34 am |
  9. Chuck

I fear what I can't see coming but don't want get distracted by speculators hedgeing their bets...sick to death of the specs.

November 13, 2011 at 11:38 pm |
  10. Omar Eliason

November 13, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  11. ___.__

Humans wrote the bible.

Prayer is a placebo.

Atheists are generally smarter than religious people.

The bible supports slavery, sacrificing your child, and stoning people to death.

Morality does not come from the bible.

Most of the 10 commandments aren't even laws..

November 13, 2011 at 9:01 pm |
    • rivercritter

Perfect, couldn't have said it better! Anyone who claims to "know" what happens to us after we die is arrogant. It's a mystery that I look forward to learning, no fear required.

November 14, 2011 at 9:46 am |
    • Point Noted

If Religion is a placebo and it cures without telling you why, why wouldn't you take that pill?
      If a pharmaceutical company told you to take a pill to cure you of some illness you would. But have no problems if one of the symptoms is death in the long run? Or another problem that needs a second pill to cure?
      If Religion is a Placebo why not trade mark it and take it? Do you really, really need a reason why it cured?
      Religion is not God. Belief in one does not necessarily mean you truly believe in the other. Rituals in religion is not required or demanded by God. Its just the Placebo process that heals.

If God exists or does not exist is something left to the individual. But to say Religion is a Placebo and therefore you will not take it is not logical. I rather have a placebo with no side effects than your best crafted chemically produced scientific cure that gives me a thousand other symptoms in the long run.

November 14, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • Theoxenia

Point Noted: I wouldn't take "pill of religion" for the same reason I don't do drugs: it's all artificial and doesn't solve anything. I would much prefer to work it out for myself, and remain in reality.

November 15, 2011 at 6:27 am |
    • cdimarco

just as a comment about those who think athiests are smarter than christians... There's a guy in my church who works as a rocket engineer but also serves in our church teaching bible classes and leading a home fellowship. My boss is an engineer as well, smartest guys I know, and very much believers in Jesus Christ, creationism and the accuracy of the bible.

Not saying these guys are smarter than athiests, but just saying that you can't rate intelligence based on ones beliefs. There are all different levels of smartness out there, and none of it is really what's relevant. What's relevant is "do you believe God at His word"

November 15, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • Ummmmm

"do you believe God at His word"

It's not a god's word that is the point. It's a book written by men to create a religion, fiction not facts.

November 15, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
  12. Galabb

I am seeking faith. I am agnostic, but I hope to someday believe. WHY? Because it has been studied and proven that generally, believers are happier and live longer, healthier lives. I want to be happy. Don't you? So even if I believe and I am ultimately proven to be wrong, I will still benefit. On the other hand, if I don't believe and I eventually find out(when I die?) that there is a God and a hereafter or eternity. What will then be MY eternity? Either way, how should I live my life? By what "rules"? Should I live as an atheist and still care about the feelings and property of others? I would truly like to hear from some of the atheists as to how not believing affects how they live their lives. Anyone else interested?

November 13, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
    • Corey

I live by a simple rule, a slightly modified 'Golden Rule': "Do onto others as you would have done to everyone." Basically I try to look at the bigger picture and do what's most beneficial for myself, others, and humankind as a whole. Everyone will have a slightly different version of what this implies, but I think a few global principles emerge and they are often the powerful fundamental human rights explored by Keats and other philosophers.

In the end, I think it's healthier to form your own moral compass than blindly follow anyone else's belief system.

Note: While some very isolated studies have shown a correlation between religion and lower blood pressure or stress, correlation is not causation. It could well be that religious people in those areas (Texas, California) are genetically similar or that people who go to church weekly are more often morning people (a condition also correlated with lower stress). Basically don't look to studies that show correlation for causation. That's why we have clinical lab tests.

November 13, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
    • lana

I hope you find God. He is very real to me, and is consistently working in my life. Start talking to him and read His word and look for Him and you will find Him.

November 13, 2011 at 7:50 pm |
    • Ulysses Johnson

Hi, i am a devout atheist and i am proud of that fact. I once was like you teetering on the fence as an agnostic, I desperately wanted to believe but could never find anything that worked for me, I studied Catholicism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, and even Buddhism which turned out to be my favorite but still couldnt find anything. I then started to actually read into atheism, and thats where i found my belonging. Now that i am through my credentials i will now answer your question. Being an atheist has really made me a better person via making me understand the world through logic and understanding, I could no longer attribute things to just being how miraculous god is, if i truly wanted to know why something was they way it was I had to research it and find out the scientific reasoning behind it.
      In regards to to my interactions with people I at first had to find out without a god why do people need to be good, well it turns out that being good to our fellow man is in our DNA it is something that is called altruism in which you see in all apes, they have an inherit need to look out for those in their congress (a group of apes). We as humans have some how found a way around selfless actions for the greater good of our fellow man, there is a large belief, in which i too hold, that religion was a major influence to this. Think about it, in most religious doctrines it teaches you that those of a different religion or sect were heathens, this lead to crusades of these people and further segregation of man. This leads me onto my next topic
      Alright what you are referring to when stating that why not believe because if your wrong nothing happens if right you get to go to heaven this is known as Pascals argument. However this argument is illogical because it is not as simple as believing and not believing. You also have to take into perspective that most religions believe that having faith in a different god is just as bad as no belief at all and you still end up damned. There are roughly 20 major religions in the world today and thousands if not tens of thousands have existed. Picking in a religion gives you a 1:1000 shot at making it into heaven, though a .1% chance is still better than no chance, I believe that even if you have no faith in any god whatever god you may face at judgment day, you have a better chance of getting in, living a good life without faith than living a life with belief in a different god, as gods are usually jealous and would not like you believing in a different god.
      Being an atheist allows me to think for my self and get a true understanding of life that makes sense to me, I do not have to follow a existential bunch of laws that may or may not be what they were truly meant to be. When you take into account how much we now about how holy books have been altered. Today we can only translate 25% of the earliest version of the bible we still have, but over the years the bible has been translated and re translated and edited and re translated and reedited ad infentium which leaves us with a really edited version of faith that has many holes via editing of kings and lose of meaning through translation.
      Good luck with your search and i hope you ultimately find happiness, I have no right to influence you in anyway but I will ask you to please be objective in your search and truly look for what makes sense to you do not just follow a religion because society says you should. I recommend three books.
      1. The Portable Atheist Essential Readings For The NonBeliever by Christopher Hitchens, this book is a compilation of many essays, book excerpts, and letters of athiests, agnostics, secular humanists, diests, even some religious people that had an arguement against something in their religion.I recommend this one the most as it shows the development of athiestic though out the last two thousand years.

2. Breaking The Spell Religion As A Natural Phenomenon by Daniel Dennet Which is a very objective argument explaining religion as a natural cause.

3.The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, this one is actually may favorite but it is very biased however its content is amazing and will definitely change the way you look at things, reading this book is what made me make my final leap to becoming a full atheist.

November 13, 2011 at 7:58 pm |
    • white dog

Dear Galabb: It helps me to always (try) first to believe in the 'good'

November 14, 2011 at 5:06 am |
    • Petrox5

The religious and atheists alike set boundaries for themselves beyond which they will not allow themselves to go. Logic and understanding are both valuable, but perhaps not all there is. Doctrine and religious belief may serve to produce a kind and moral person, but the motivation is based on fear. What if there is a consciousness embedded deep inside your own that is aware of all that is happening - past, present and future - in the universe? What if denying that possibility, either through atheism or religion, logically denies you access to that consciousness? Explore your own interior. It's a lifetime endeavor.

November 14, 2011 at 11:13 am |
    • Paul

The beginning of wisdom for me was the realization that there has to be an uncaused cause and an unmoved mover. From that beginning I eventually found my way to traditional Roman Catholicism, where everything now makes sense and all is right with the world.

November 15, 2011 at 10:20 am |
    • Chris

Hi Galabb,

Pondering reality can be a horrible experience but one I spent my life consumed by. My are very much in line with Buddhist thoughts mixed with philosophical questions about existence (I think therefore I am ect.).

Basically, the more of a "story" we create around the infinite the further we get from it. How can a creature that can't even prove it exists as a physical being in a physical word begin to comprehend the metaphysical? The only way I found was observation, thought and science but if you try these you see the intrinsic flaws in each of them and none can lead to any kind of real knowledge.

My Opinion? All life as we know it is based on trying to identify and recreate moments where you can become aware that your feelings are shared by another person. These rare emotional transcendental moments let us know we are not alone. This ties into our need to love something – Every person loves something. Maybe it is themselves, maybe it is something evil or even something imaginary but experiencing moments of love involves the same transcendent and all encompassing feeling that you get in moments of pure connection.

I got to this understanding by thinking – How does one reach real lasting happiness that is not based in temporarily satisfying their hedonistic cycle? The only answer I could come up with is pursuing happiness (as measured in moments of love and connection) in a way that is least harmful to others journey or even better helps free them from their pains. As you do this you get freedom from your own wants and since all pain is either born from want or directly causes want, you then get free from pain to just experience life. Moments of pure experience are like making an emotional connection with the infinite – This is all we can know and a way of life that ensures no matter what happens your life has been meaningful.

November 15, 2011 at 10:48 am |
    • atroy

Ulysses, I find it interesting that you refer to yourself as a "devout" atheist since that term invokes religious connotations and indicates a capacity for faith.

I'm an atheist because I don't believe there is a god. To make the statement "I believe there is no god" would go against my nature because belief (in anything, even the non-existence of something) requires blind faith.

I'm not agnostic; not searching for an answer or looking for proof. Frankly at the age of 47 I have better things to do with my time left than sit around posing questions about things that may or may not be. Simply put I don't care whether or not there is a supreme being because it wouldn't change the fact that I have to be a decent human being to my fellow human beings.

November 15, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
  13. Disciple

The lord Jesus LOVES you and has a wonderful plan for your life. All you must do is believe Jesus Christ is God in the flesh raised from the dead, ask Him to come into your, forgive you of sin, and confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and you will be saved! Forever. Thats it. The Lord Jesus made it simple...

November 13, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
    • Bob

And if you don't believe in Jesus, and even if you have the slightest shadow of doubt, Jesus and his ogre daddy god will torture you for eternity.

And that's after you brave all manner of disease, despair, and disaster in your short mortal life, that an omnipotent creature could have made much better if he was so inclined.

No thanks. You can keep your sick Jesus fictions and your nasty ogre of a god. To yourself. Quietly please.

November 13, 2011 at 9:05 pm |
    • Gold26

@Bob, Read the bible before you make that statement. What you said is completely contradictory based on the teachings in it. If you are going to make a reasoned judgement or comment, then you need to have backup based on what is written. I don't make comments about things I don't know, so I would encourage you to read it.

November 14, 2011 at 11:41 pm |
    • Iconoclast

@Gold26, "read the bible before you make that statement". Hey guess what, people who don't believe in your bible are not going to accept "the bible is true because it says it is" as any kind of an argument. That's called circular logic, and to an atheist it's laughable. I can just as well say there is an invisible pink unicorn standing next to me, it's true because I say it is. Would you believe me? I sure wouldn't.

November 15, 2011 at 10:37 am |
    • Chris

The Bible is a cults adaptation of pagan ritual that was then carefully crafted and edited to send the message needed to build the expanding empire of the church

November 15, 2011 at 10:57 am |
    • Frank

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but Jesus is nothing but an invention of people. If you fall for that which has ensnared so many, your soul will be frozen in silent blackness for all eternity when you die. Countless will be the milennia in which you will cry out "Why did I not question? Why did I blindly believe? Why didn't I stop and think and appreciate the reality that will right in front of my face during my brief blink of conscious awareness while I was alive??" but no one will hear you. Actually, only the second half of the first sentence above is true. The rest I made up 'cause you religious people seem to love that stuff.

November 15, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
  14. Gerald Scott

God said he would reveal himself to those who seek him.He has revealed himself to me. And anyone who says there is no proof hasn't looked. There is more proof and evidence to support the bible and the things that are in it than there is to prove neanderthal man. I mean take one tooth build a whole skeletal ,model of nebraska man then dna testing concludes the tooth came from a pig. What scares me most is people who don't believe in God as they don't perceive any consequences of an eternal nature and are prone to come up with some pretty off the wall stuff.

November 13, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
    • Jes Sayin

Oh please. Probably millions of people over the centuries have looked for proof...but no shred of proof has ever been found. But you have this proof? Please, why are you keeping it to yourself? I would think that you would want to shout it from the rooftops; certainly it would be the biggest news of the century. Your little tooth story is actually pretty off the wall...what's your source for that?

November 13, 2011 at 8:41 pm |
    • heyjoe69

If you're actively looking for god, you will find him anywhere. The human mind is very open to suggestion. As far as your claim that there is more evidence to back up the Bible than anything else you are horribly mistaken. The main tenet of religion and belief in god is faith, which is nothing more than believing in something because you "want" it to be true.

November 15, 2011 at 10:44 am |
  15. NyteShayde

When people get angry because someone denounces their faith, or lack thereof, it tells me one thing. That you aren't as convinced of your own faith or lack of faith as much as you think. Your convictions should stand up to criticism and if it doesn't, then you're lying to yourself. You should be able to practice your faith or atheism without calling someone who thinks differently an idiot, a sheep, or deluded. Doing so is yet further proof that you lack conviction. People truly at peace with their beliefs don't feel the need to gain validation from others through criticizing them or scorning them not do they feel the need to bark and howl from the highest tower to be heard.

November 13, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
    • What If

NyteShayde, You make many good points... but then there is this quote from Thomas Jefferson:

“Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus.”

November 13, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
  16. Keith Rosenberg

Atheists have no more scientific proof that God does not exist than the theists have of God's existence. Atheism is as much a faith as any other philosophical belief.

November 13, 2011 at 11:00 am |
    • Stephan

Yes, but at least it's a rational spirituality.

November 13, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • William N. Hale

Proving a non-event is very nearly impossibe. Say, for instance, that I accuse you of having stolen something even though you know, personally that you have not. How can you prove your innocence in concrete terms? It's for me rather to prove that you did. An atheist should never be expected to prove his persuasion in terms of religious or anti-religious arguments. All he needs to do is point to the Scientific method which deals with reality. Theism deals with 'wishful thinking', 'make-believe', fantasy, magic–hopes of despairing men famously hallucinating in the desert who then "see" exactly what they want to see. wnh

November 13, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • Commenter

Keith Rosenberg,

Since there is not proof either way, the default, fall-back position is NOT that it IS true... until further notice.

November 13, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
    • Jes Sayin

No, it is not. Atheism is a lack of belief in deities. That in no way makes it a faith of any kind.

November 13, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
    • scrambolo

keith,

I agree that atheists have no proof of God and theists have no proof of God. That is why believe or non-belief in God is called FAITH. Faith is simply believing in something, anything, which cannot be definitively proven. Very simple and very truthful.

November 14, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
    • Dee Fine

scrambolo, 'faith' may be simple, but it is not necessarily truthful.

su·per·sti·tion/ˌso͞opərˈstiSHən/
      Noun:

1. Excessively credulous belief in and reverence for supernatural beings.
      2. A widely held but unjustified belief in supernatural causation leading to certain consequences of an action or event, or a practice...

November 14, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
    • tallulah13

There has never been any proof that any god has ever existed. There is a compelling amount of proof that every culture has created gods to explain the unknown in a manner that makes sense within that culture. By looking at those simple facts, it's fairly easy to realize that human religion is pretty much just ritualized wishful thinking.

November 15, 2011 at 11:32 am |
  17. BabbleOn

Anyone claiming to know what God wants is a liar or crazy. Anyone claiming proof that God exists or doesn't exist is a liar or a fool. Anyone claiming that any set of random people can be categorized and grouped together based on a single belief or disbelief is an idiot. Live and let live. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars, you have a right to be here – Max Ehrman.

November 13, 2011 at 10:59 am |
    • William N. Hale

I sympathize with your outburst and you indeed are correct at an "etiquette-conscious", neutral level, unless one decides to give this area of inquiry some serious thought. wnh

November 13, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
  18. Emory

Well said, John. Religion was born of fear and questions with no answers. Invented. Made up. The human mammal still clings to religion in the second decade of the 21st century, which shows how slow evolution is. Our technology has advance leaps and bounds beyond our evolution. Even our knowledge, which has grown from technology, fails to convince billions of people world wide that religion was born of man's imagination and penchant to control others while elevating one's own status. Religion is no more valid than fairy tales and myths. God and Santa Claus are brothers.

November 13, 2011 at 10:04 am |
    • William N. Hale

Well said, Emory, you laid it out better than I could! wnh

November 13, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • jumpincats

It will be too late after we dead.

November 14, 2011 at 2:20 am |
  19. LibsSuck

American werewolf in London sucked............and another athiest who is really just an Anti-Christian bigot. Nothing more marginal skill coupled with idiotic conclusions first more people newflash have been mass murdered by his fellow athiests like Stalin Mao and Lenin..............and if he thinks Hitler was christian he really is out of it..........Hitler was a Christian in Youth then denied it.........completely gee his athiesm helped Europe.......he wished his minions to worship him only. Sort of like this failed director.........another CNN communist news network atttack on Christianity oh humm why are your ratings so sucking CNN well this is why........

November 13, 2011 at 8:30 am |
    • tallulah13

You should probably study Hitler a little more. Hitler used religion very well. It may not have been standard christianity, but he was not an atheist. Of course, Hitler would have remained just another anonymous madman without the support of the German people, who were overwhelmingly lutheran or catholic.

I'm not going to spend a lot of time pointing out the atrocities done in the name of religion. You know they exist. What I will say is there have always been people who desire power and are willing to kill to get it. Christians are just as bad as anyone else. Religion is no deterrent to evil, but can sometimes give it a foundation to build on.

November 13, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • William N. Hale

Libs, lighten up. You point out correctly that many tyrants and despots were and are atheists. They certainly have tarnished the atheist cause but antisocial traits account for their dysfunctional personality, not the fact that they were atheists. Keep in mind that the Human cerebrum has evolved for at least a million years with invented knowledge and only the last few hundred years with Science and discovered knowledge. wnh

November 13, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@LibsSuck
      "We were convinced that the people need and require this faith. We have therefore undertaken the fight against the atheistic movement, and that not merely with a few theoretical declarations: we have stamped it out".
      The Speeches of Adolf Hitler, April 1922-August 1939, Vol. 1 of 2, Oxford University Press, 1942

"I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so."
      – Adolf Hitler, to General Gerhard Engel, 1941

November 15, 2011 at 11:37 am |
    • ThinkForYourself

"and if he thinks Hitler was christian he really is out of it..........Hitler was a Christian in Youth then denied it.........completely gee his athiesm helped Europe."

I thought Christians weren't supposed to lie...

November 15, 2011 at 11:40 am |
  20. Henry Miller, Libertarian

What scares me the most are people who take religion so seriously they'll kill for it.

November 12, 2011 at 7:49 pm |
    • LibsSuck

or politics like the thousands arrested for the wall street fake acorn helped protests........

November 13, 2011 at 8:31 am |
    • Dave

Careful there, LS, your agenda's showing.

November 13, 2011 at 8:49 am |
    • tallulah13

Dave, I don't think he's making any effort to hide his agenda.

November 13, 2011 at 2:03 pm |