home
RSS
November 2nd, 2011

What terrifies an atheist

(CNN) -  Famed filmmaker John Landis brought the world "An American Werewolf in Paris" and Michael Jackson's "Thriller," but nothing scares him more than people.

In this video the avowed atheist, tells CNN's Nima Elbagir why he thinks “we make stuff up” about monsters, religion, and the devil.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Movies

soundoff (2,057 Responses)
  1. frespech

There is no such thing as nothing. Something has always existed. I accept that, that something is God, explained in the bible as a being with infinite dynamic energy. You choose to believe a spontaneous creation. My suggestion is you have no more proof for your belief than I do.

November 28, 2011 at 11:54 am |
    • myweightinwords

Belief is a personal thing, developed over a life time of experiences and learning. It is an intimate, individual thing.

Two people can experience the same event, read the same books and still come away believing different things.

There is no right answer or wrong answer. There is no proof that will convince anyone who isn't inside you.

That is the nature of belief.

November 28, 2011 at 11:59 am |
    • TruthPrevails

@frespech: And who do you believe wrote the buybull?

nothing more needs said by me here...myweightinwords said it perfectly (as is the norm for her)

November 28, 2011 at 12:03 pm |
  2. Hypatia

I am neither an atheist nor a proponent of any religion and I find Faith Trademarked to be a revolting con game. It's not terrifying. What's terrifying are the pitchfork-weilding mobs of fundies trying to kill people for not believing their fairy tale.

November 28, 2011 at 11:48 am |
    • Basturd out of Carolina

You must be one of those gays.

November 28, 2011 at 11:52 am |
    • frespech

Or vice versa.

November 28, 2011 at 11:55 am |
  3. What terrifies an atheist?

Morality.

November 28, 2011 at 9:56 am |
    • BRC

Absolutley, when taken from a book written thousands of years ago, and quesitonably interpreted to apply to today's society by a small group of individuals with an agenda.

If you're talking about a morality developed through reasoned analysis and thorough consideration by the societies we live in, then no, that doesn't bother us at all. It's actually what we're asking for.

November 28, 2011 at 10:10 am |
    • Chuckles

@BRC

Whoa whoa whoa, you might believe that, but I am terrified of morality myself. I mean, once I became an atheist I immediatly embarked on a non-stop bender of se.x, drugs, murders, ra.pes, all that jazz. It's been a wild ride, but I guess at one point I need a break from living a baseless existance. You see, morality is just keeping us down. Who wants to live in a society where people are good for goodness sake. I would much rather live in a world where morality stems from fear or completely doesn't exist.

November 28, 2011 at 10:21 am |
    • GodPot

"The term “morality” can be used either: 1. descriptively to refer to some codes of conduct put forward by:
      A.a society or, some other group, such as a religion, or
      B. accepted by an individual for her own behavior or:
      2. normatively to refer to a code of conduct that, given specified conditions, would be put forward by all rational persons." – Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.

We are fine with either the 1.B or the 2.0 definition, it's only the morality put forward by a religion or some other group in opposition to what would be put forth by all rational persons that we object to. All religions put rationality aside in favor of doctrine, which is why atheists disagree with their brand of morality.

November 28, 2011 at 10:23 am |
    • BRC

@Chuckles,
      My sincerest appologies if I upset you. I, of course, have no expectation that our agreed upon rules would prevent people from sticking it in someone or something whenever they feel like it. After all, just because we're heathens, doesn't mean we're uncivilized.

November 28, 2011 at 10:30 am |
    • Chuckles

@BRC

Apology accepted..... What I have found always the most fascinating whenever a believer makes claim to absolute morality by their own set of beliefs and what the flip side is (meaning: what atheists do without christian morality), they basically make the claim that we're all living on a precarious ledge of a baseless morality and it's only through religion that we protect ourselves from ourselves.As I see it, a believer who really thinks that all ethic and moral code would be thrown out without a grand overseer has bigger issues than the current delusion they hold. I mean, how many people are there, if they were made abundenetly aware there is no god would go on a rampage of what I described above?

November 28, 2011 at 10:37 am |
    • TruthPrevails

Morality? Nope morality is not something we worry about. We don't need a book to tell us what good morals are...we use our own minds and judgement for that. If you want poor morals, look at the number of christians in our jails (approximately 81%...google this, the answers are there) and then look at the number of Atheists/non-believers...christians out number us by far. We don't go around telling people they have the wrong god; we don't tell women that they can't use birth control or have abortions; we don't tell people that being hom.os.exual is a sin; we don't beat our children in the name of anything.
      My moral compa.ss is humanity. I treat others as I wish to be treated-with kindness and love.

November 28, 2011 at 10:38 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

"Don't be a henchman. Stand on your laurels. Do what noone else does and praise the good of other men, for goodness' sake. And when everyone else in the world follows your lead, athough a cold in hell it will surely be, that's when the entire world shall live in harmony."
      – Dr. Greg Graffin

November 28, 2011 at 10:40 am |
    • tallulah13

If you need a the threat of hell or the promise of heaven to be a good person, you are a very evil individual, indeed. Some of us do just fine with human empathy and the simple concept that is as old as civilization: treat others as you would be treated.

I guess the corollary statement would be that christians and other believers are terrified of being responsible adults.

November 28, 2011 at 10:47 am |
    • GodPot

It's an interesting side note to point out that often times, when a person is presented with a religious moral code that is difficult to maintain when that person fails in one aspect of it, they can feel as if they might as well break all the other laws because they are already condemned, which is why so many Christians believe atheists must be out there constantly being immoral. What they fail to see is that most atheists live moral lives based on thousands of years of society's moral evolution which tells them if you steal, murder etc... you will not be happy, but if you have empathy, love and caring for your fellow man then you will reap those same rewards, and if you fail you deal with the consequences, but are not condemned to eternal torment which might make a rouge believer think he should get what he can while the getting's good.

November 28, 2011 at 11:00 am |
    • Huh?

"Morality"

I love it when a christian puts this out there like that. What is hysterical is that man wrote the bible, man wrote the laws, man evolved into what we are today without a god. Our own humanity invented morality that we know and understand today there was no god involved in it since it doesn’t exist. LOL!

November 28, 2011 at 11:11 am |
    • Hypatia

Yes, your lack of morality is definitely terrifying.

November 28, 2011 at 11:49 am |
    • What terrifies an atheist?

To all

You may believe it or not, but you hear it from the horse's mouth.

@Chuckles

Although I doubted the sincerity of your reply but I commend your honesty. So happy to know that I'm not alone in our kind.

November 28, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
  4. richard guida

People who are convinced there is no God are as arrogant as people who are convinced that there is one. Certainly agree that religions have been used to promote injustice and get people to act like sheeple; and that is true for one of the more fashionable current religions, "environmentalism."

November 28, 2011 at 9:40 am |
    • tallulah13

People can be arrogant outside of religion, but I find very few things as self-centered as believing that an all-powerful being with the ability to create the universe is watching you to make sure you obey arbitrary rules put in a book by bronze age humans and/ will take you to paradise after you die if only you say you like him best.

November 28, 2011 at 10:58 am |
  5. Daniel

Honestly, I'm glad there are so many religions out there. This way, not any one of them will ever take a foothold over simpletons with feeble minds, which are the majority of humans on the planet. There will forever be warfare to keep them all in check, creating a natural check and balance system. What else will ever convince someone to go die for their country unless you do it for God and Country.

November 27, 2011 at 11:30 pm |
  6. pickurpath

Athiests "chuckle" at Christians because of our belief. True Christians grieve for athiests for their unbelief.

November 27, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • max_headroom

I feel pity for theists, as they waste so much of their lives worshiping a nonexistent being, when that time and effort could be much better spent improving themselves and their fellow man. I fear theists when their fundamental insecurity about their nonsensical theology leads then to try to convert or destroy those who do not agree in order to validate their silly belief systems.

November 27, 2011 at 9:38 pm |
    • Not an Idiot

You are an idiot.

November 27, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
    • Not and Idiot

I may not be an idiot, but I have trouble with honesty...

November 28, 2011 at 10:37 am |
  7. Katieo

I am a Christian. But I have to say, I am fascinated by this comment board. Not in any sort of judgmental manner, but actually it's pretty illuminating to read the perspective of many here who identify themselves as atheists. I truly appreciate many of the things you say, and even criticize...because you're right about a lot of it. The shackles of religion and the laziness of Christians as they shrug off their hypocrisy. I can see it in my own life and in other fellow Christians. And I think you're right to see that it's wrong and super screwed up.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in briefly. I'm gonna keep reading these comments now 🙂

November 27, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
    • Davison

... wow. Thank you for understanding some of the criticism about the hypocracy of organized religion, and that moral behaviour is not guaranteed by being a believer or church member alone!

November 27, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
  8. keith a dewey

Sociology: Religion is what you hold sacred; a god, a sect, a 1965 Mustang, etc... The perfect Religion is one that instills an emotional centralization for the "good life" learned from Social Science. I am an atheist and I am very very religious.

November 27, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
  9. Twiddle

I believe in God. I believe in Christ. I believe in Muhammed and Buddha and I still consider myself a Christian. I am not stupid nor ignorant nor silly because of my beliefs. I don't think atheists are stupid because of theirs. Don't denigrate another's beliefs or non-beliefs. That's just wrong whether Christian or Muslim or Buddhist or Atheist. *climbs down from soapbox*

November 27, 2011 at 7:45 am |
  10. likealion

"Mere Christianity", "The Abolition of Man", and "Surprised by Joy" written by C.S.Lewis, a former atheist, are excellent books to read if you are interested in this subject.

November 27, 2011 at 6:16 am |
  11. hn

Even god uses evolutionary biology, Newtonian and Einstenian physiscs and experimentally validated information to synthezise matter and life. I wish the religious would give these tools a thought while praying and increase funds for research and science.

November 27, 2011 at 1:29 am |
  12. Hooligan

As I clicked this article I was expecting a chuckle as it was supposed to (it seems) insult us.

But after reading the little that was there... how is this even news?

Faithful and faithless alike, humans are pretty #$%@ing scary.

November 27, 2011 at 1:03 am |
  13. sequoia

For the most part, religion is just a crutch of morally and mentally weak people who need to be told what to do and what to believe to function. That's fine I guess, but too many times their beliefs lead to oppression and other atrocities against our freedom, which is not fine. The most immoral people I've ever met consider themselves religious.

November 26, 2011 at 7:24 pm |
  14. D. Wilson

They are only afraid the republicans will somehow steal the whitehouse again and destroy what is left of the country from the Bush Era of Destruction! If the top 1 percent paid their FULL PERCENTAGE OF WAGE TAX without deductions for things they never do then the balance of wealth will be more evenly divided. Aetheist are only afraid of being made poor by the GOP!

November 26, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
  15. fred gray

i dont believe in religion but i do believe in god. that does not make me an atheist does it?

November 26, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
    • Hooligan

look up the word

the short answer is no

November 27, 2011 at 1:05 am |
    • Paul

The belief in God but not religion is defined as deism. Equally irrational but a more self-contained irrationality.

November 27, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
  16. fred gray

i think an atheists biggest fear is that they are wrong and there is a god and they are going to hell

November 26, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
    • Hooligan

actually we have come to terms with that.

Because even if I am wrong... "god" is still a DICK

November 27, 2011 at 1:06 am |
    • marc

wrong. atheists biggest fear is that we are right. See, atheists view God the same way we look at santa. We've were once believers and now we see the truth, and once you do, you can never go back. just as you would never go back to believing in Santa Claus because you understand that a belief in Santa is delusional, I'd never go back to believing in God, because i know that a belief in a creator who never shows himself, & never talks to anyone except in their heads, answers prayers pretty much on the same average as if you just left them to luck... this is clearly the same delusional thinking as children believing in Santa.
      But we want to be wrong. thats the biggest misconception about atheists, that we somehow deep down believe in god and are trying to deny that belief. Its the opposite. Most of us became atheists by asking questions about our beliefs. we struggled to maintain a belief in God and the afterlife, but the more we examined those belief, the harder they were to believe in. for me it was three years until eventually i realized that I just wasn't buying this God thing anymore. just like when I was 7 and figured out there was no santa.

November 27, 2011 at 1:48 am |
    • tallulah13

That's stupid, fred. The people who fear hell are christians. You are the ones that believe in it.

November 27, 2011 at 1:53 am |
    • Alexa

I myself am an atheist and would never speak to any other atheists belief, I have to say you are pretty wrong about what my greatest fear is. I worry a lot about human beings consuming so many of this planets natural resources that our species accidentally gets wiped out. I also worry about epidemics and the rise of domestic and international terrorism... oh and sometimes I have nightmares about the hagfish.
      In the future I would think first before you speak for an entire group of people.

November 27, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
  17. jeff

We human beings depend on our ability to discern causes for the effects we observe or perish. That mental capacity to discern causes is not a choice, it is an operational mandate of survival. So, when we look up at infinity, our talent at ascribing causes takes over. Infinity, or however you wish to label it, has no cause. There is no a priori condition for existence. One day the big bang theory will be understood as another flat earth theory, a result of our inability to conceptualize the true nature of space which is INHERENTLY CURVED, and not bent into curvature by some outside mysterious force. Gravity is not a force, it is another manifestation of curvature. What appears to be expansion is the cosmic equivalent of a ship sailing over the horizon. A.E. described it perfectly, if you have a powerful enough telescope and enough time, you will eventually see the back of your own head. No matter which way you point the scope, it will look into the infinity of total curvature, through some grand convergence point – astrophysicists will call it the mother of all black holes – and back around again to where we are in relation to that grand central convergence point. The GCCP is also a divergence point, the fountain of endless self re-creation. There is only this one single unified presence, a circulating endless fountain of self propulsion, like a waterfall always the same as a whole, never the same in the details. This existence is not a creation therefore there can be no creator. Creation and creator are words from human vocabularies that only have meaning when applied to human beings and the things they do. There is no such condition regarding the Whole.

If you want to see an animation of the shape of circulating curved space, please click on this link, enjoy.

By the way, the surface of the planet earth is a cosmic hatchery. All living beings are energy eggs, brought into being by solar and stellar energy, and the cosmos is waiting for each one of us to 'hatch' (read: die) to suck up the last bit of energy we make. That's why nature makes us love each other, to make more energy eggs, to protect them, teach them survival skills so they can last long enough to produce more energy and make more energy eggs. The visible body is like the yolk, the invisible bubble of energy surrounding the body is like the white of the egg, and there is a shell that when cracked from within or without, releases all that energy and the yolk (body) rots, returning to the earth. Our awareness, a loan of energy from the sun, becomes enriched through sensations of life experiences, becoming the caviar for cosmic enjoyment. That's what life is, you too. Have fun!

November 26, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
  18. logic

christians deny the existence of thousands of gods. christians are willing to tell hundreds of millions of buddhists their god is a lie despite their religion being infinitely more peaceful than the warmongering done in the name of god. christians have no problem denying the existence of every god but their own. why is it so unthinking for an athiest to go that final step and just deny the existence of one more god? you christians are almost athiests

November 26, 2011 at 1:04 pm |
    • Mirosal

I think you are looking for this quote ... "I contend we are both athoests to some degree. I just believe in one fewer god than you. Once you have realized why you have dismissed all the other gods, you'll see why I have dismissed yours as well." .. If anyone knows the credit for that quote, please enlighten us.

November 27, 2011 at 1:20 am |
    • TruthPrevails

@Mirosal: It is by Sir Stephen Henry Roberts. A site that might interest you and scare the christards in to their prayer circles is: http://www.bspcn.com/2008/08/25/101-atheist-quotes/

November 28, 2011 at 11:59 am |
  19. Mohunch

@blurb: Atheism isn't a belief in nothing. It is a lack of belief in the supernatural.

November 26, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
    • GodPot

I have always found it funny that theists claim atheists believe in nothing. That's like claiming someone who won't eat the food you prepared for them must hate all food and will obviously starve to death, so allows you to rationalize that hitting them over the head and force feeding them your meal is not violent kidnapping but merciful salvation...

November 28, 2011 at 10:31 am |
  20. blurb

I find it quite interesting that, whenever an article is posted here regarding religion, God, etc., those who consider themselves atheists are the first to comment by criticizing the belief of others. Isn't atheism itself a system of belief? A belief in nothing?

November 26, 2011 at 11:21 am |
    • John

No, you are too used to the mindset that everyone needs a 'religion'. Atheism is 'the' belief that nothing is there, but it is not a belief system. You can't offend an atheist by saying god exists, you'll probably just get a chuckle.

November 26, 2011 at 12:08 pm |
    • tallulah13

I find it interesting that so many christians can't seem to wrap their minds around the concept of atheism. How difficult is it for you to understand that atheists simply don't believe in any god. That's it.

November 26, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • mikaman3000

To tallulah13.......I find it interesting that so many atheists can't seem to wrap their minds around the concept of religion. How difficult is if for you to understand that religious people simply believe in a higher power than themselves. That's it. See how easy that was tallulah13 . So how about we all calm down and just accept the fact that there's different strokes for different folks. Why do we always have to find ways to divide ourselves. The truth of the matter is that neither side can w/out a doubt prove the other side right or wrong, so how about we spend more time discussing all the things we have in common, then incessantly dwelling on the few things we don't.

November 26, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

mikaman3000

Because your belief in a God means the things you believe your God does or doesn't want can affect our freedom to live our lives as we choose.
      Examples: Ban abortion and force an immature, unprepared, unwed mother to raise a kid she doesn't want or worse to seek unprofessional help to get the abortion.
      Ban stem cell research and condemn patients of possible cures to deadly disease.
      Support corporal punishment and kids die.
      Marginalize Gay/Lesbian people leading to bullying and suicide.
      Deny Climate Change
      Suppress womens rights
      Tell children they will burn in hell forever if they don't follow said beliefs.
      Deny evolution
      And on and on and on.....

November 26, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • tallulah13

mikaman, I do understand religion. Religion is the baseless hope that there is a higher power that actually cares about you. It's the abdication of adulthood and responsibility in favor of the pretense of having a supernatural parent who will take care of you.

It's ritual and ceremony and the desperate making of bargains that you believe will grant you eternal life. It gives you a sense of safety and belonging, serving the same purpose that a herd or a pack does in the animal kingdom. It makes you feel special and happy, therefore you believe despite the fact that there isn't a single shred of evidence for any god or devil, any heaven or hell.

Thousands of religions and gods have been invented since the dawn of humanity. Yours is nothing new. It's just the same old product in a redesigned package.

November 27, 2011 at 2:12 am |
    • Rick

What makes Christians chuckle, is to hear atheists say 'we just don't believe in any god – that's it'. Read the myriad of posts here. Listen to John Landis' video. Atheists clearly 'believe' that Christians are wrong, and 'believe' they should speak up about it. Christians don't care what atheists believe or don't believe – atheists say there is nothing to be afraid of in the afterlife, and we believe that there is. One thing for sure – we will both know soon enough. But atheists are compelled to lying about the impact of faith upon culture, lying about what Christians believe and how they think, and lying to themselves (and others) about how much blind, ignorant faith is required to be an atheist. And most atheists are committed to the 'religion' of supplanting individual rights associated with basic freedom of expression with totalitarian governments.

November 27, 2011 at 7:36 am |
    • Mirosal

What is there to be afraid of in an after-life?

November 27, 2011 at 7:40 am |
    • tallulah13

RIck? The second christians keep their faith to themselves is the second that atheists will leave you alone. Keep your religion out of government and schools, keep your religion off of my doorstep and city street corners, and you will never hear from me again on the topic. I don't even mind the TV channels and holiday displays, as long as other groups have the same rights.

The story I get from many christians is that their faith requires that they try to convert as many people as possible. Therefore, I have absolutely no problem in stating my opinion as well, and since this is a public forum, open to all opinions, this would be exactly the place to do it.

November 28, 2011 at 11:20 am |
    • tallulah13

"A rational examination of facts will always conclude a true atheist position requires much more blind faith than a believer or agnostic – unless, of course, the examination is done by an atheist."

I think you are mistaking "blind faith" with "rational thinking". It requires rational thinking and the recognition of personal responsibility to be an atheist. Adults don't need a supernatural father figure to take care of everything.

November 28, 2011 at 11:27 am |
    • fred

Tallulah13
      I hope you had a happy and rational Thanksgiving!
      So, I gave thanks to God for putting a roof over our head, health and a juicy Gobbler. Now, you would argue God did not put that Gobbler on the table or a roof over our heads. On a rational basis I can see your point and agree with you since it is Thanksgiving. On a rational basis you can also say ah, they do not really believe God put the Gobbler on the table or they are completely nuts. In fact I attribute all the pieces of the Thanksgiving puzzle to God who allowed everything to come together on that day at that moment. If John Wayne shot the last of the Pilgrams we may not have a Thanksgiving. The source code of Gobbler DNA was allowed or created by God. So in that sense God put all the fixens together for a great feast.

November 28, 2011 at 11:42 am |
    • Bob

So fred, will you also credit your god with all the disasters and deaths, such as traffic deaths that happened during Thanksgiving travel? Or will you be unfair that way, following the example of your unfair ass-hole of a god, as you have already acknowledged him to be?

November 28, 2011 at 11:47 am |
    • TruthPrevails

I just don't understand why it affects christards so much that we don't believe...if they are honestly thinking they are going off to to mystical place in never never land when they die, then would it please them not to have us along? If they are correct and I know they are not or at least am 98% sure they are not, then hell will be filled with all my friends-AtheistSteve; Mirosal; Colin; tallulah13 and numerous others who will be fun to be around.
      It bothers me that christards spew about crap that we know has been refuted over and over again and pass the deceit to generations upon generations. Brainwashing our future. It's sad how simplistic they think life is b/c they have a buybull to provide the answers. To me it's pure laziness...they don't have to take responsibility; they can be as self-righteous and hypocritical as they wish-afterall god will forgive them (NOT); they no longer need to use their own brain.
      For us, life means we seek out answers and take responsibility for ourselves. We get the pleasure of being open minded to new ideas as they are presented. We use humanity as our moral compass, they use the god delusion as their moral compass.

November 28, 2011 at 11:54 am |
    • fred

Bob
      Yes, if you know God as revealed. Your problem is continue to assign attributes to God and the Bible that do not belong to either. Stick with what has been shown to us not what we want to make of it. Man always wants to bend God to fit himself (Bob for example) rather than accept the simple revelations we have been given.

November 28, 2011 at 12:25 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

@fred: again, you come here and speak like you have done any research outside the buybull. You can't justify your god with us, so why do you keep trying?
      The following is a perfect fit for people like you...enjoy:

The Gospel According to Hypocrisy (by:Domenick Scudera)

And seeing the multi.tudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him,
      And maketh no mistake, these single male followers were not hom.os.exuals,
      And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying,
      "Blessed are the negative in spirit: for they shall find fault with just about everyone and everything.
      "Blessed are they who judge others: for they are enti.tled and superior.
      "Blessed are the intolerant: for they most rightfully deny the humanity of others.
      "Blessed are the ignorant: for they shall equate hom.ose.xuality with pedophilia and shall promote other equally specious arguments.
      "Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall tell everyone else what to do with their lives.
      "Ye are the light of the world and ye shall shine brightly over all those who do not live by your code or standards.
      "Think not that I am come to destroy the law. I want you to do that. Change all the laws of the land through ballot measures so that people will only live the way that ye think is right.
      "Ye have heard that it was said, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
      "But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman or an intern lus.tfully shall make sure that any activity is well hidden and not docu.mented:
      "Be warned that the wide web of the world, and liberal news media, will exploit your personal deviant behavior against you.
      "It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:
      "But I say unto you, That whosoever shall divorce his wife, saving for the cause of fornic.ation, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry a divorced woman committeth adultery.
      "And I also say unto you, That you may ignore this last piece of advice if it is not convenient for you. Marry and divorceth whomsoever you wish, as many times as you wish, and do not worry about it. Just make sure that the hom.os.exuals do not ruineth everything by taking husbands.
      "Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy:
      "And I say unto you, That sounds pretty good. Some of those enemies are horrible. Blessed are you who curseth them whenever you can. Do evil unto them who hate you.
      "For if ye love them which love you, you may be perceived as ho.mos.exual. Make not this mistake.
      "Salute your brethren only. Why do something for others?
      "Be ye therefore perfect. And everyone else is not.
      "Let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth. Mas.turbation must be denied.
      "And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
      "No, I take that back. Ignore that last one. Pray and preach as loudly as you can. Let everyone see and hear you. I realizeth now that hypocrisy is a good way to be respected and still allow you to do whatever you want.
      "Use not vain repeti.tions, as the heathen do:
      "Unless your words are 'talking points.' Repeat these as often as you can, so that ye may drill your opinions into the minds of the mas.ses.
      "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal.
      "But lay up for yourselves treasures in righteous politicians and causes.
      "For wherever your treasure is, there will lieth your political power.
      "Judge not, that ye be not judged [LOL!]
      "Enter ye in at the strait gate. Strait meaning straight.
      "Therefore whosoever interpreteth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock."
      And it came to pa.ss, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine:
      For he did not seem very Christian.

November 28, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
    • fred

TruthPrevails
      You say:” For us, life means we seek out answers and take responsibility for ourselves. We get the pleasure of being open minded to new ideas as they are presented. We use humanity as our moral compass, they use the god delusion as their moral compass”

Christians are called to higher responsibility and more open mindedness because we use God as our moral compass not a self limiting “humanity” as a moral compass. “Humanity” goes with what feels good and consumes a culture from time to time culture to culture. Not that long ago if you were born in the wrong place at the wrong time you would have been circu-mcised, so give God thanks for being born in a place where Christian culture was the norm. You have been privileged with the freedom to accept or reject God. If there is a God then you are held to a greater level of accountability as to whom much is given much is expected.
      Jesus made it clear where your moral compass was when he said “if you think a hateful thought towards your brother have you not murdered your brother”. Life is more than the physical of chopping ones head off it is in the heart where evil thoughts begin.

November 28, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • Bob

fred, no, I won't let you get away with slithering away from your earlier statement. You have already stated that your god is unfair. Are you now reversing that statement that you made?

November 28, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

@fred: and once again, the burden of proof for your god lies on you. You have no proof for your god and why in the hell is not good enough that someone relies on themselves instead of some unseen force? When are you are going to start living in this century? I dislike speaking to you b/c you are such a closed-minded moron without the ability to think for yourself. I refuse to argue with stupid people! So unless you can validate your god without the use of some moron who has studied the buybull or the use of your buybull itself, there is no need to speak to you further. You are clearly stuck in a world that goes back 2000 years yet you seem to enjoy all the amenities that SCIENCE has provided you. Time to grow up!!!

November 28, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
    • Bob

So fred, will you also credit your god with all the disasters and deaths, such as traffic deaths that happened during Thanksgiving travel? Yes or no answer please. Or will you be unfair that way, following the example of your unfair ass-hole of a god, as you have already acknowledged him to be?

And yes, I am going to persist until you give a straight answer.

November 28, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

@Bob: Attempting to speak to fred is like trying to get an animal to understand logic...you might as well speak to a snail...it at least has more intelligence.

November 28, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
    • fred

TruthPrevails
      Jesus spoke harshly to hypocritical religious types of his day to point out how bind one becomes when the truth is twisted to fit ones personal lusts and desires. “Domenick Scudera” missed the point and attacked truth rather than the twisted men who pervert it.
      The truth is in the words of Jesus not necessarily what I have to say. I keep trying because I never when the right time and place will be when your heart is open to the truth. In my case a Bible just happen to be in the right place at the right time and I experienced exactly what Jesus said would happen. I have personally seen this happen to many others so I know the words of God have the power to heal and transform.

November 28, 2011 at 1:07 pm |
    • fred

Bob,
      God is not unfair, rather exacts perfect justice. Your problem is one of perspective. You see a God of your own making not the God revealed to his people. In order to understand Gods perfect justice you need to first understand Gods perfect Holiness.
      There were two criminals hanging next to Jesus on the cross. Where is the fairness as applied to Gods own Son? Contrast that with the fairness of Jesus. Jesus did not condemn the criminal who mocked Jesus with last dying breath and said nothing. Yet, to the criminal that simply looked to Jesus, with a heart inclined towards God, Jesus said “today you will be with me in Paradise”. So, tell me what fairness do you see?

November 28, 2011 at 1:22 pm |