home
RSS
My Take: Why good Catholics are challenging church line on homosexuality
A series of recent conferences have cast a light on gay Catholics and their families.
November 8th, 2011

My Take: Why good Catholics are challenging church line on homosexuality

Editor's Note: Patrick Hornbeck is an assistant professor and associate chair for undergraduate studies at Fordham University.

By Patrick Hornbeck , Special to CNN

The Roman Catholic Church has long been a reliable source for one-dimensional storylines: Victims of sexual abuse call for justice. Parishes close as numbers of clergy plummet. Rosary-clad Catholics protest outside abortion clinics.

Perhaps nowhere has the storyline seemed more clear-cut than with regard to the church’s treatment of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people and their relationships.

Official Catholic teachings describe gay or lesbian orientation as “an objective disorder” and tell those who love their same-sex partners that they possess a “tendency… toward an intrinsic moral evil.”

Catholic bishops have been public advocates for laws banning same-sex marriage, and some have sought to prevent LGBT Catholics and their allies from fully participating in the Church’s rituals and activities

But neither formal teachings nor bishops’ statements tell the whole story.

A series of recent conferences at American colleges reveals the breadth of Catholic approaches to issues of sexual diversity.

The conferences, part of an effort called More than a Monologue, have happened at two Catholic universities and two non-denominational divinity schools

The events conclusively show that American Catholics are hardly of one mind, nor in lockstep with their bishops, when it comes to same-sex marriage; to rights for LGBT people at home, at work, and in church; or to the ongoing campaign against anti-gay bullying in schools.

At Fordham University in New York, a Catholic school, a proud mother of a grown gay son drew a standing ovation when she told a story about discovering the effect of church teachings on her child.

Here’s that mother, Deb Word, who has founded a group Fortunate Families to help Catholic families with lesbian daughters and gay sons, in her own words:

Fast forward to a family vacation in the Gulf. There were five of us floating—Sean and his wife, Chris, and his dad and me, holding onto each other’s rafts. And I said, ‘I think this is what Heaven is like.’ And Christopher said quietly, “except I won’t be there with you.” “Son, where do you get this stuff?” “Mom, it’s your club. You know the rules.”

And if my cradle Catholic child, growing up in a loving family, got this message, then what does Catholic mean in more conservative homes? … And I wonder, why do I stay in a club that my son says is dangerous to his soul?”

Another panelist at the event described the freedom she feels as a result of living, within the church’s rules, as a celibate lesbian.

A third, a physician in New York City, praised the Catholic tradition for its emphasis on human dignity and social justice, but added: “I am troubled by the fact that I find greater acceptance of myself as a whole person in my professional community as a physician, than I do in the official hierarchy of the church of my family, my childhood, and my life.”
Nationally syndicated columnist Dan Savage may be better known for his very public critiques of Catholic leaders than for the year he spent in a high school seminary, or for his Catholic deacon father, or for the baptism he and his husband sought for their son.
But speaking recently at New York’s Union Theological Seminary, Savage described his Catholic family and upbringing, celebrating parts of his Catholic experience.

At the same time, he refused to let the church off the hook for the part he accuses it of playing in tacitly condoning the bullying of LGBT youth.

Last month, at Yale University, a Catholic layman who teaches psychiatry spoke movingly of his attempt to offer church leaders the wisdom of his scientific field, and of his bitter disappointment when his offers were met with silence.

And at Connecticut ’s Fairfield University, scholars, clergy, and lay Catholics recently discussed the implications for the church of having many gay and lesbian people, both in and out of the closet, in roles as priests and ministers.

These public events have brought into the light the struggles, compromises and choices about meaning and love that many Catholics experience daily.

Poll numbers show that while many of their bishops have been stepping up their rhetoric on the issue, only one-in-three American Catholics describe opposition to same-sex marriage as “very important.” Seventy percent support legal recognition for same-sex couples.

All of us, Catholic or not, LGBT or not, owe it to ourselves and our fellow citizens to keep these new conversations going. Let’s not to settle for only part of the story.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Patrick Hornbeck.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Bishops • Catholic Church • Homosexuality • Opinion

soundoff (2,880 Responses)
  1. Yup

amen.... now get back to fighting or fu–cking...

November 8, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
  2. hippypoet

HelIo,

I come on here everyday and post ignorant and intellectually dishonest rambles that make me feel good. Although I don't believe in God, I manage to spend hours literally EVERY SINGLE DAY on a belief blog for which I claim not to believe. I come on these boards claiming that religion is everything wrong with society, while also cursing every Christian or believer I run across to a violent death. Ofcourse I don't see my own hypocrisy and clear contradiction in what I say compared to how I act, but that's ok because I delude myself into believing it anyway. See, I have a father who has given me a business so I therefore don't need work at all, some would call me a spoiled brat, but I prefer to give that term to others.

I love to complain about everyone else, especially those silly Christians because I am much more intelligent than them, although my grammar skills are that of a 3rd grader. But I digress, I am all knowing, more intelligent, and superior to any fool who actually believes in something higher than themself.

I am hippypoet.

November 8, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • Jeff

You are your own God – cool...

November 8, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • HAHAHA

Hey Hippy look your admirer is still being an idiot and stealing. The real hippy must have bruised the ego of this moron, poor baby can't take the heat get off the blog.

November 8, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • hippypoet

November 8, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • hippypoet

nope, i didn't brush the ego...not yet anyway – i am not above peity arguements – i enjoy them! I had a customer, then another, and another – ahhh i hate lunch time!

this is to the loser who is fast becoming the very best imitation of me ever – maybe we shall get a show in vegas one day!
      here is some info you may not like but fuk you!

The Buddha, born 563 b.c.
      Zoroasterianism – creation of religion – 500 b.c.

before jesus came around Abraham's god was mean and anger, jelous and spiteful...but thats not the god jesus preached about...his message was nearly exactly like that of another great preacher – the first Buddha – he spoke about the evils of material wealth and to love one another and to show compassion to all people...Shortly after the Buddha there was a spiritual happening going down in Persia, the Movement was started with a man named Zarathruster – greek translation Zoroaster – the religion that stemed from it...Zoroasterianism, the basic tenets are One great good all powerful god and the evil enemy...no other religion has an enemy of god like Zoroaster did...the first monotheistict religion was Abraham, but the first devil figure was Zoroaster's god... so with the good vs. evil gods and the message of love and compassion jesus had the perfect scam...then he died... oops!

muhahahahaha, it does pay to be smarter then you.... my 5 year old thinks you smell funny, and she should know – i call her stink-a-licous!

November 8, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • HAHAHA

"@haha – No, I'm actually just pointing out the ridiculousness of hippy. Can't argue with an idiot."

Actually you did a great job of showing you're an idiot by posting your personal rant – your ego is bruised.

November 8, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
    • Central Scrutinizer

Well fake HP, the real HP is certainly smarter than you or I. Don't be bitter, it is not your fault.

November 8, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • hippypoet

November 8, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
    • TheTruthFairy

I would love to find out what the real hippypoet did or said that caused the psychotic break of this fake hippypoet. But I must say the whole thing is quite amusing.

November 8, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • HAHAHA

"@haha – LOL ok, sure if you say so, you are so smart oh wise one. My ego has been destroyed all because you're so intelligent, wow you guys know everything."

Are you a christian, if so keep sinning through stealing. LOL!

November 8, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
    • Zimbo Jones

My. How deliciously Christian of you! Snide, sarcastic, insulting, demeaning and all the while displaying a false sense of superiority and snobbishness. Yep – Holy Jeebus must REALLY be proud of you!

November 9, 2011 at 10:30 am |
    • Lennybob

You, sir are an Id10T!!!

November 9, 2011 at 12:25 pm |
  3. chip

No such thing as a gay Catholic. By definition.

November 8, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • HAHAHA

LOL! Even the pope stated just being gay is not a sin -so there are gay catholics.

November 8, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • now then

The pope is man. He is not God and he does not speak for God!

November 8, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • HAHAHA

"The pope is man. He is not God and he does not speak for God!"

Hey stupid the bible was written by man so you're god doesn't speak for himself. LMAO!

November 8, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • Jesus

This Pope has great organization skills from his days as a Hitler Youth. Purportedly he is also infallible and has a direct line to that mysterious, invisible, and imaginary guy in the sky-God. If he says that he had a talk with God and God says gay is OK, then I believe that God likes gays. If he says God told him that gays are evil, then we ought to cull gays from our society....of course that would kill daytime TV (Rosie, Oprah, Ellen, Anderson, Nate Berkus, etc.)

November 8, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • Alecto

@chip, not true. Many gay Catholics, who are self-identified. They don't check your ID card at the entrance. Should also make a distinction between those who believe in Church doctrine on morality and those who think (misguidedly) that they are going to change the teachings of the Church.

November 8, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
  4. Jeff

Gay people can accept Christ as their savior just like anyone else.

November 8, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • Now Then

You're right and when they really do that they are not gay anymore, they are repentant.

November 8, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • chip

Yeah, provided they stop living the gay lifestyle.

November 8, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • Jeff

We are still sinners – even after we accept Christ.

November 8, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • HAHAHA

"Yeah, provided they stop living the gay lifestyle"

Your bible does not condemn the saved loving partnership of gay couples.

November 8, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • Jesus

I accept Christ as a myth. He has about as much a relationship to reality as Zeus, Mithra, Horus,Krishna, and Santa Claus.

November 8, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
  5. Now Then

I was gay for about 10 years, but then I heard the calling of Jesus Christ, my savior. I am now cured of this evil. I no longer have any urges toward men and am loyal to my FEMALE lover.

November 8, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • hippeypoet

I am still gay.

November 8, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • Baby Come Back

You can blame it all on me...

November 8, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • HAHAHA

"I was gay for about 10 years,"

I would say you weren't gay but bisexual. By the way your bible doesn't condemn the saved loving partnership of gay couples, which is why there are so many churches that now accept gays and lesbians. It's also why there was a recent artlcle of a gay man becoming a pastor and another pastor marrying his partner. 😉

November 8, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • Context

"Lover" not wife, didn't follow his teachings too far did you?

November 8, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • You Forgot

Um, the only unfortunate thing you forgot to say is that you are probably FEMALE! 🙂

November 9, 2011 at 11:18 am |
    • Published Author

A lot of gay men that can't accept themselves hide their true relationships and urges from their "wives" it's called Yahoo Chat.

November 9, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
  6. hammer05

The Catholic Church is not a democracy. Groups of Catholics do not determine the teachings of the Church. That is the function of the Magisterium. Some of the comments posted on this story state that Christ accepted all. That may be true, but he also rebuked the sinner.

November 8, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
    • HellBent

Perhaps people just wish that the Church wouldn't cherry-pick which biblical teachings it chooses to adhere to. You know, stop being hypocritical and maybe people would respect it more

November 8, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
    • Now Then

God determines the teaching of the "True Church" not a man. And it does not change!

November 8, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • ThinkForYourself

Except for when he does change – like when he went back on the whole shellfish being an abomination.

Although, if he doesn't change and since people really don't execute disobedient children anymore, you're probably all going to hell for not following what he commanded.

November 8, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • HAHAHA

"God determines the teaching of the "True Church" not a man"

Huh, I thought it was Constantine that choose what went into the bible, not a god. LOL! It's still all done by man. 😉

November 8, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
  7. Colin

Gay Teenager: God, you made me gay. I can no longer deny the urges I am having. Why, oh Lord? I have been a good person all my life. My family and I have kept your commandments and attended church every Sunday.

God: It’s all part of my “grand plan” for you. Your small mind cannot comprehend such matters.

Gay Teen: But God, the Christians are telling me I am a sinner and will burn in hell, but you made me this way. I cannot help it. I think you owe me an explanation. I am truly frightened!

God: I was moving in mysterious ways.

Gay Teen: What the hell does that mean?

God: Well, I make thousands gays every day, just so I can wait until they get to puberty and crush their hopes for a normal life. My Christian followers on Earth complete the misery by tormenting these poor children. Then, when you die, I can send you to burn forever. Pretty mysterious, hey?

Gay Teen. I can’t believe what I’m hearing?

God: Yeah, it’s pretty rare that I speak so frankly. Look, if it makes you feel any better, tell yourself it’s Satan’s work. Satan is trying to tempt you away from me.

Gay Teen: But you’re god!! You can stop Satan.

God: Ok, you’ve got me there. Look kid, the truth is, I don’t exist. I never have. Wasn’t it obvious to you that you made me when I seemed to love all the same things you do and hate all the same things you do? Haven’t you noticed that those who disapprove of you say I disapprove of you and that those who support you say I support you? Every culture that has ever existed has had its own gods and they all seem to favor that particular culture, its hopes, dreams and prejudices. What, do you think we all exist? If not, why only yours?

Gay Teen: That’s a shame, because I intended to give you a free pass. To still believe in you despite hating myself. I have been taught to believe in you and never to question it, and I accepted what they said when they told me it was wrong to doubt.

God: Well, look at it from my perspective. How long would I last if I positively promoted healthy skepticism, independent thought and rational investigation? You people would see right through me in a minute. Ever noticed that there is not one passage in the Bible in support of healthy skepticism and intellignece, but literally hundreds in support of blind faith and gullibility?

Gay Teen: Ok. I have to go now. My parents, Christian friends and teachers have all disowned me. I need to work out what to do.

God: Good luck. I’ll say a prayer for you. Hey – even I need a god sometimes

November 8, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
    • Now Then

Wah, Wah, Wah, poor pittiful rebellious victim me!

November 8, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
    • Colin

NowThen – what was it you said to hippypoet, "hippy....your childish name calling reveals the real angry kid in you."

November 8, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
    • Now Then

This is not name calling, you wrote it and it screams victim who shouldn't have to think for himself because it's someones fault he won't follow morality.

November 8, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • Capercorn

Nice copypasta.

November 8, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
    • Colin

Silly me, I took "Wah, Wah, Wah, poor pittiful rebellious victim me" as juvenile name calling. I guess that, upon reflection, it was a mature, intelligent and articulate thing to post. Thank you Now Then, you have really contributed to the debate.

November 8, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
    • Colin

Oh really Capercorn?? From where? Bet you can't find it – given that I wrote it.

November 8, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • Capercorn

I've seen it spammed everywhere on the CNN boards.

So the likelihood of you actually having written it is low at best.

Forgive me for not being gullible.

November 8, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
    • Colin

I am not going to argue with you, as I cannot prove it, but I wrote it. I have posted it in various forms.

November 8, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • teddy

God doesn't make people gay just like he doesn't make them into murderers or rapists.

What you do with your body is a choice. Everyone has urges or desires and to be moral and mature, you need to learn to control them.

November 8, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
    • Fuyuko

Awesome

November 9, 2011 at 11:03 am |
    • stephen

People are not born gay they are born male or female. Thats the way it's been every since the beginning of creation. People adopt that lifestyle over a period of time based on external influences. additionally the demonic realm can influence peoples thoughts and feelings. Jesus truly does set people free. He set me free. I was heading down that lifestyle myself but now I am happily married with children and serving God together. God is truly powerful. We are all guilty of breaking Gods law and because of that are under the eternal death penalty. God declares in his word "the soul that sins shall die." and we all sin so death was passed onto the whold human race. The people in the graveyard were just like you and me in times past. beyond physical death God created Hell for the devil and his angels but people will go there if they don't accept Gods payment for sins thru his son Jesus Christ. God is a loving father that desires all people to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth. THe lords desire for you is good to give you a hope and a future. Make Jesus lord of your life. THe word of God states "all who call upon the name of the lord will be saved" And again "repent and be baptized in the name of the father, son and holy ghost" let the lord give you a new beggining and the promise of a glorious future, forgiveness of sins and see Gods hand at work in your life!

November 9, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
    • Jeff

@stephen: What size strait jacket are you?

November 9, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
  8. gooner

I know every church has beliefs but I think the Catholic Church treats gays much better than the baptist church.
    It would be nice if everyone just loved everyone the way Jesus asked us to do.

November 8, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
    • Now Then

True Christians do love you. That is why they have the need to warn you of the coming destruction. Satan has tricked you and it will destroy you.

November 8, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • HAHAHA

"That is why they have the need to warn you of the coming destruction. Satan has tricked you and it will destroy you."

Your prejudice is showing, quick repent Satan is destroying your heart.

November 8, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
    • Context

Especially if those gays are priests and pedophiles. I'm a cradle catholic and what the church is doing in regard to pedophile priests and gay bashing sickens me.

November 8, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • Lennybob

I love everybody, just not what they do. EEEWWWWW, ugly picture

November 9, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
  9. Colin

The official church position on gays will change like the official church position on everything. The minute it gets too expensive, in terms of lost memberships, the church will have a sudden epiphany and declare (i) gays are not sinners; (ii) women can be priests; and/or (iii) priests can marry.

As an atheist, it is disappointing that this is inevitable, because more Catholics have deserted over these issues than any others recently, save perhaps, over the child molestation scandals.

November 8, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
    • Now Then

That's why God says put your faith in Him not man.

November 8, 2011 at 1:18 pm |
    • Colin

God does not exist and has never "said" anything. If you can point me to one thing god has ever "said" I will fall to my knees and worship him. And I don't mean a man saying it and saying it is the word of god, I mean god actually saying it.

November 8, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
    • Now Then

"Every knee shall bow" and I don't have to prove it to you. He will. Your day to bow is coming. I promise you. Remember this day.

November 8, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
    • Hear This

Now Then:
      "Every knee shall bow"

Sound like something that your mega-maniacal "Satan" character would demand!

November 8, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
    • HellBent

""Every knee shall bow" and I don't have to prove it to you. He will. Your day to bow is coming. I promise you. "

So your god is a vengeful, petty, narcissistic sadist. Congrats.

November 8, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • Context

The church already allows married priests, as long as you were already married when the catholic church absorbed your church. Ran across a priest like that when I was trying to get married, good cradle catholic, couldn't believe the hoops I had to jump through because my husband is not catholic and we were both well over 21. The engagement encounter we were required to attend and great expense and huge inconvenience was a joke, several couples were already pregnant, the 18 year olds didn't agree on anything but the priests were all over the 'purity' of their love. We were the only couple that had already discussed every topic and come to mutual agreement. Still married 19 years later, bet most of the others didn't make it to 5 years.

November 8, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
    • teddy

Colin, read the new testament and you will see MANY positive and uplifting things that Lord Jesus has said.

You need to be more open minded and do some research before making a comment like that....

November 9, 2011 at 11:28 am |
    • TonyBigs

Incorrect. The Church cannot change in faith in morals. It has nothing to do with the will of one or the will of billions. If The Catholic Church is taxed, burned, martyred, reviled - it will not matter. The Church cannot change in faith and morals.

November 10, 2011 at 2:43 am |
  10. CatholicJane

It's wrong and you know it. Christians are far more accepting of ho.mo.s.exuality than they should be. They take God's word wrong. Forgiveness until they deny the true path.

November 8, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
    • Now Then

I am a christian and I an not accepting of it. I think you have it backwards.

November 8, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
    • ThinkForYourself

I hope you both are also not accepting of people that wear cotton blends – that's also an abomination according to your bible.

November 8, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
    • hippypoet

christ was accecpting of all people from everywhere – you call yourself a christian but you have no idea what a true christian is or does... you are just another bigot who is also brainwashed! enjoy your pointless godless existence you twit!

November 8, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • Now Then

Christ is willing to forgive and to love them in spite of their sins if they repent, but he will not overlook rebellion. Sorry.

November 8, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
    • Now Then

hippy....your childish name calling reveals the real angry kid in you.

November 8, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
    • hippypoet

rebellion you say... you must be referring to the Jewish god, he was full of anger and spite... he did mean things to those who rebelled...however jesus's god was loving, forgiving, compassionte – sounds like one of the 2 made it up...maybe both, but eitherway i am willing to bet i know more about your belief then you... and yes i am a big kid, its more fun when talking to those like you – imitations are fun aren't they? it afterall was you who cast the first stone... enjoy hell.

November 8, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
    • Now Then

U don't have a clue. The God of the OT is the God of the NT. He did not change, he never changes. He is the only constant there is. He punished sins then and he punishes sins now. Just like any loving parent trying to get his children off of the road to destruction.

November 8, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
    • TrueStory

Hippypoet is my hero.

November 8, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • J.W

I still do not understand why morality depends so much upon issues related to s3x. If these issues were considered an important part of the law, why are they not included in the 10 commandments? If you simplify the 10 commandments as love your neighbor and love God above all thing, Ho.mo.sxuality is still not in violation of these.

November 8, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • HellBent

@Now Then: 'Just like any loving parent trying to get his children off of the road to destruction."

You couldn't possibly come up with a worse ana.logy. When god punishes, its final – there is not point other than the punishment itself. Your god isn't trying to keep someone from the road to destruction – he's just destroying them. Your god is a loving parent in the same way an abusive parent "loves" their child.

November 8, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • Hmmmm

"U don't have a clue. "

Your insults are showing you're nothing more than an angry child. 😉

November 8, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
  11. GOD

no gays accepted in my church.

November 8, 2011 at 1:10 pm |
    • Jesus

In my Church, gays never sit behind others of the same gender. The concern is that if they do, they'll start doing it during the service.

November 8, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
  12. GOD

there are NO GAY CATHOLICS.

November 8, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
    • hippypoet

no, just ones that lie about it!

November 8, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
    • Colin

Thanks Mr. Ahmadinejad.

November 8, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
    • Lost Nomad

Absolutely! Also, there are no black country singers, no vegetarian burgers, no male secretaries and no blocks of dry ice! Silly people....

November 8, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
  13. Mainly Loved

I just do not feel accepted by the Catholic church as a human being. I am atheist and bis.ex.ual and I feel that when they look at me on the street they are picturing me on fire for thousands of years. I have Christian friends but Catholics seem to find it necessary to shun anyone that lives a life against their ideals... It's sad that humanity has not yet moved foward.

November 8, 2011 at 1:07 pm |
    • Mainly Loved

**forward. Sorry about that.

November 8, 2011 at 1:07 pm |
    • James

How can you be bi? I've never understood that, you can't jus go around liking everyone lol. I'm guessing something effed up has happened to you in your past and I'm sorry for whatever it was, but that's just a guess. Hope you figure things out 🙂

November 8, 2011 at 1:10 pm |
    • Nero

It means he/she is attracted to both genders. Hom.ose.xuals don't "like everyone" of their same gender. How ignorant and childish of you to make that statement. Please think before you post.

November 8, 2011 at 1:14 pm |
    • spm

I am Catholic, married and a mother. I have gay friends that I am close with. I teach my childern that we do not judge others irregardless of our orientation, faith,..race..etc. I realize this appears to go against the teachings of the Catholic Church but my beliefs that everyone should be treated, loved and accepted equally does not waver. Not everyone who is Catholic believes everything that is said by the Bishops/ Pope. If that makes me a bad Catholic then that is between me and my God. Who I personally find comfort in. It is my choice to believe in a God as well. I wish the highest level of the church felt differently. But please do not asumne every Catholic feels this way -most everyone *I* know is in alignment with me.

November 8, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • Jen

I'm Catholic and trust me my generation is so alienated its awful. I'm a liberal Catholic and it's hard to find churches that preach social justice and change. The one that I attend most often does not condemn anyone! It is also sad being Catholic at times, you feel a lot of guilt about things. But trust me, you are not a bad person if you are gay, I have friends who are and I care about them just the same. And family members, too that I care for. No one has the right to say you are going to hell! You sound like a good person and very open minded. Most Catholics, really just want the church to progress, not go backwards!

November 8, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • ThinkForYourself

I'm an atheist, but most of many of my friends and family are Catholic – and nearly all of them would agree with @spm and @Jen – they don't blindly confine their morality to a book that puts the 'sin' of hom.ose.xuality on the same level as wearing a poly cotton blend shirt.

November 8, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • Colin

Don't take it too hard, the Catholics also believe that grocary store bread and wine turns into flesh and blood becuase a priest does some hocus pocus over it of a Sunday morning.

November 8, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • teddy

Colin, your comments on religion are really sad and lack education regarding beliefs, rituals and spirituality. You are very ignorant and disrespectful to others. I am sure you must not have many friends–for you seem to be bitter and jealous of those who have faith. I feel sorry for you.

November 9, 2011 at 11:33 am |
    • Jeff

@teddy: I don't think Colin "lacks education regarding beliefs, rituals and spirituality". I believe he is openly mocking Catholicism based on understanding of their beliefs and rituals. There is a difference. 🙂

November 9, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
  14. My Opinion

It won't let me post my things...

November 8, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
  15. hippypoet

Hello,

I am hippypoet.

November 8, 2011 at 12:57 pm |
    • My Opinion

You are an idiot. 🙂 What a copy-cat.

November 8, 2011 at 12:59 pm |

Your forgot arrogant.

November 8, 2011 at 1:02 pm |
    • hippypoet

"See, I have a father who has given me a business so I therefore don't need work at all, some would call me a spoiled brat, but I prefer to give that term to others."

see, i almost regret saying that i own my own biz... first , i bought it for 20 million, still paying for it... second, i do all the shipping, receiving, walk – ins, online orders, i mannage all the field techs, and I personally take care of any displeased clients...as for the spoiled brat, i am not spoiled, i work for a living, i just have the freedom do play on the internet because i own my biz... i said i almost regret saying it...why almost, because then i wouldn't get great imitations like you, thank you for the flattery, it was the highest form i could ask for.

may god have mercy on your soul for the amount of judging you do upon others. LOL as if there was a god!

November 8, 2011 at 1:10 pm |
    • Now Then

hippy .... what you mean is you have people who do the work. There is no way that you could do all that and stay on this blog and give it the attention you say you give it and get high.

November 8, 2011 at 1:14 pm |
    • hippypoet

thats just another thing you don't know...how long is your list now? does it beat out war and peace for length?

November 8, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
    • J.W

Why does it matter what people do in their personal life? Unless it is relevant to the issue, which in this case it definitely is not.

November 8, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
    • Chuckles

@hippy

You're so lucky! You have your own stalker who has taken a specific shine to you! congrats!

November 8, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
    • hippypoet

thank you chuckles, i try! i only wish the troll was smart enough to have a conversation... but again, high hopes!

November 8, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • Hmmmm

I wonder if the person who is posting as hippy is a christian or not, because if they claim to be – stealing is a sin. LMAO!

November 8, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
  16. J.W

I do hope a lot of Catholics respond to this.

November 8, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
  17. hippypoet

articles like this are informative untill a religious person who knows only god's way chimes in! i hope for a civil convo here, but i am sure i will find nothing but anger and oppession from those so called god fearing people... theres another one – god fearing – why should you fear god if he is supposedly so loving and understanding and compassionte – oh thats right, you fear him because you gay and he hates gays!

November 8, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
    • J.W

When saying that they fear God, in that case the word fear is used to mean respect or reverence as opposed to terror.

November 8, 2011 at 12:53 pm |
  18. Chuckles

Awwwwww Sh.it, another LGBT and Christians article, let all the loving and forgiving christians come out and condem ho.omse.xuality again!

November 8, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
  19. TheTruthFairy

Like OMG! this one is going to be good.

November 8, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
  20. J.W

I not bigoted or anything, but they didn't have to put a picture of 2 dudes smooching.

November 8, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
    • Why

"but they didn't have to put a picture of 2 dudes smooching."

That's reality, they love each other what's wrong with that? NOTHING! I bet you kiss your girlfriend or wife, it's part of having a relationship.

November 8, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
    • Mike from CT

But I don't go doing it in front of cameras to shove my agenda down peoples throats

November 8, 2011 at 1:05 pm |
    • Beverlee

Mike...

Excellent comment.

November 8, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • Dmarq

Mike – straight people do it all the time in front of the camera and no one claims there is an agenda associated with it. Grow up!

November 8, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
    • ThinkForYourself

@Mike,

If it was an interracial straight couple, would think that cnn was shoving interracial relationships down your throat? Or do you only have an issue with things you're personally bigoted against?

November 8, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • Mike from CT

ThinkForYourself, That is the point you don't see every other day "interracial relationships" or "straight people" on this site and those articles being written. That is why you can clearly see an agenda being pushed.

November 10, 2011 at 12:30 pm |