home
RSS
'Tebowing' prayer stirs debate, but quarterback is OK with it
November 9th, 2011

'Tebowing' prayer stirs debate, but quarterback is OK with it

By Steve Almasy, CNN

(CNN) - Tim Tebow is used to being a lightning rod. While he was the quarterback at the University of Florida, he drew a lot of attention. And we mean a lot.

He won the Heisman Trophy (the only sophomore to ever win the award), and his team won two NCAA football titles. Plus, he was very public about his Christian faith. He wore Bible verses on his eye black. He invoked God frequently at news conferences.

No one doubted that Tebow was a great college quarterback and a good kid. But all the media attention made some people weary of the name.  He's good, they said, but he's no messiah.

Being a great college quarterback doesn’t always translate into being a good pro quarterback and, let’s be honest, there are more than a few people taking great glee from the second-year player's recent struggles with the Denver Broncos.

And even some of Tebow's better moments on the field are sowing controversy. During an October 23 contest against the winless Miami Dolphins, the Broncos trailed until a last-minute touchdown and two-point conversion by Tebow tied the score. Denver won in overtime.

Afterward, Jared Kleinstein, a Denver-born Broncos fan who was watching the game from New York, noticed that Tebow had knelt in prayer, alone on the sidelines, while his teammates celebrated on the field.

Kleinstein decided to take a picture outside the New York bar where he had gathered with friends. Six of them knelt on their knees with their balled-up right fists to their faces, Tebow-style.

Kleinstein started a website, www.tebowing.com, defining Tebow as a verb: “To get down on a knee and start praying, even if everyone else around you is doing something completely different.” His photo was the first one posted.

More photos came in from around the world. People Tebowed from the Philippines, the Vatican, Iraq, even in front of the Great Pyramid. They Tebowed at the airport, at the hospital, even at an "Occupy Chicago" protest. As of Tuesday,  Kleinstein had posted more than 600 photos on his site.

Tebow, for his part, approves. “Love it,” he wrote on Twitter.

But did he love it when Detroit Lions linebacker Stephen Tulloch sacked him in an October 30 game and proceeded to “Tebow?”

“He was celebrating and having fun with his teammates. I don’t take offense to that,” Tebow said during a session with the media last week.

Tebow, who has started three games for the 3-5 Broncos, does not shy away from criticism of his quarterbacking - or of his faith. The son of missionaries, he embraces his spotlight to draw attention to his Christianity. He and his mother appeared in a Focus on the Family anti-abortion ad that appeared during the Super Bowl in February.

That kind of faith-based boldness separates Tebow from other religious sports figures. His more public displays hearten supporters and enrage detractors.

Some commentators, like ESPN.com writer Jemele Hill, think making sport of Tebow's beliefs is offensive. She writes of Tulloch's Tebowing pose:

Prayer is a sacred component of any religion. Making fun of someone else's spiritual connection is on par with ridiculing them about their family. You don't have to be a Christian to get that, just someone who understands the concept of respect.

Former Indianapolis Colts head coach Tony Dungy, a Christian, says there is some jealousy of Tebow among other NFL players. But he doubts the Lions were making fun of the quarterback, even though another player Tebowed after scoring a touchdown during the same game against Denver, a 45-10 rout.

“I don’t believe people are saying, 'I am going to mock his faith,'" Dungy said on his website, All Pro Dad.

Former NFL quarterback Phil Simms isn’t surprised that other players want a piece of a player who is new to the league and whom the media obsesses over.

“They want to see you [succeed] on the field first,” Simms said in a video on Sports Illustrated’s website.

Tebow acknowledges that some who have sent their pictures into the Tebowing website are making fun of him and some are mocking religion. But he told the Denver Post he prefers not to judge anyone. He told reporter Lindsay H. Jones:

"It's not my job to see people's reasons behind it, but I know (of a kid) with cancer that tweeted me, 'Tebowing while I'm chemoing' — how cool is that? That's worth it right now. If that gives him any encouragement or puts a smile on his face, or gives him encouragement to pray, that's completely awesome."

What do you think? Are people being disrespectful of religion by Tebowing? Was Tebow asking for it?

- Producer/Writer

Filed under: Celebrity • Colorado • Prayer • Sports

1. down goes frazer

If he was preying to God thanking him for the win,,,,,,, well ,,,,,,,that is kinda goofy and hes asking for ridicule.

November 9, 2011 at 9:54 pm |
    • Kent Bowen

That would be "praying": "PrEy" is like "PrEdator"; "PrAy" is like "PrAyer"

November 9, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  2. hernape

let the guy pray.....it is his right, what makes him feel appreciation for something he has done right..... Maybe if he gave the middle finger and pointed towards the sky more folks would support? Thank YOUR God for the gifts on this earth...sports, family, jobs, health..stop knocking a good example....praying is good for all of us, no matter whom your God.....any bad ever come from praying? C'monnnnn man!

November 9, 2011 at 9:51 pm |
    • Kent Bowen

I'm just curious...does he pray at the end of a game when he loses?

November 9, 2011 at 9:54 pm |
    • Edward Watson

Another fool who prays to the "GODS". Let us all pray!

November 9, 2011 at 9:54 pm |
  3. gatorguy

I have never respected and admired an athlete as much as I do Tebow. He is a great role model. I hope more truly strong Christian atheletes will get on board and start Tebowing. We need more heroes like him.

November 9, 2011 at 9:48 pm |
    • Edward Watson

AS I said ,Christian crap does not belong in the NFL!

November 9, 2011 at 9:49 pm |
    • Kent Bowen

When he wins a Super Bowl, he'll find all kinds of followers. (From my NFL fan side), yeah, right, something something something about a cold day in somewhere. I forget that part...

November 9, 2011 at 9:53 pm |
  4. Edward Watson

There is no place for this christian crap in the NFL!

November 9, 2011 at 9:45 pm |
    • Kent Bowen

And, there is no crying in baseball...

November 9, 2011 at 9:47 pm |
    • Mike

Edward- I have some questions for you:

1. When did Christianity become crap?

2. When did you become the Comissioner of the NFL and made the decision that Christianity has no place in the NFL?

Somehow all of that failed to make the news. Wow.

November 9, 2011 at 9:54 pm |
    • Colin

Mike, I can naswer that. When a group of ill-educated, Middle Eastern goat herders decided that god impregnated a virgin with himself, to give birth to himself, so he could sacrifice himself to himself to forgive a sin of Adam and Eve we now all know never existed.

Any other questions?

November 9, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
    • You Hypocrites

Mike when did the word of Jesus become crap? Matthew 6:6

Don't pray in public

November 9, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  5. LouAz

My god helps me beat you and your god ! Yea Team !

November 9, 2011 at 9:45 pm |
  6. Tom

He is an actor on a stage with a very large audience...you think we are not going to think about his intentions????? He knows he has an audience. He is marketing his brand and a large portion of the market are buying his "act".

November 9, 2011 at 9:42 pm |
    • Kent Bowen

I live in SW Florida and never got so tired about hearing about Tebow when he was in college. I don't know what's real and what is staged, but I do know he won't make it as an NFL quarterback. His fifteen minutes will be up soon. And, no one will care.

November 9, 2011 at 9:46 pm |
  7. spud

Who cares How is this News?????????????????????????????????????? if he wants to pray so what, if he doesnt want to pray So what. There is no controversey except for that which the press makes.

November 9, 2011 at 9:39 pm |
    • Yeti37

? There, you forgot one.....imbicile.....

November 9, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  8. Colin

DearTim:

God here.

First, I do not exist. The concept of a 13,700,00,000 year old being, capable of creating the entire Universe and its billions of galaxies, monitoring simultaneously the thoughts and actions of the 7 billion human beings on this planet is ludicrous. Grow a brain.

Second, if I did, I would have left you a book a little more consistent, timeless and independently verifiable than the collection of Iron Age Middle Eastern mythology you call the Bible. Hell, I bet you cannot tell me one thing about any of its authors or how and why it was edited over the Centuries, yet you cite them for the most extraordinary of claims.

Thirdly, when I sent my “son” (whatever that means, given that I am god and do not mate) to Earth, he would have visited the Chinese, Ja.panese, Europeans, Russians, sub-Saharan Africans, Australian Aboriginals, Mongolians, Polynesians, Micronesians, Indonesians and native Americans, not just a few Jews. He would also have exhibited a knowledge of something outside of the Iron Age Middle East.

Fourthly, I would not spend my time hiding, refusing to give any tangible evidence of my existence, and then punish those who are smart enough to draw the natural conclusion that I do not exist by burning them forever. That would make no sense to me, given that I am the one who withheld evidence of my existence in the first place.

Fifth, I would not care who you do or how you “do it”. I really wouldn’t. This would be of no interest to me, given that I can create Universes. Oh, the egos.

Sixth, I would have smited all evangelicals and fundamentalists long before this. You people drive me nuts. You are so small minded and yet you speak with such false authority. Many of you still believe in the talking snake nonsense from Genesis. I would kill all of you for that alone and burn you for an afternoon (burning forever is way too barbaric for me to even contemplate).

Seventh, the whole idea of members of one species on one planet surviving their own physical deaths to “be with me” is utter, mind-numbing nonsense. Grow up. You will die. Get over it. I did. Hell, at least you had a life. I never even existed in the first place.

Eighth, I do not read your minds, or “hear your prayers” as you euphemistically call it. There are 7 billion of you. Even if only 10% prayed once a day, that is 700,000,000 prayers. This works out at 8,000 prayers a second – every second of every day. Meanwhile I have to process the 100,000 of you who die every day between heaven and hell. Dwell on the sheer absurdity of that for a moment.

Finally, the only reason you even consider believing in me is because of where you were born. Had you been born in India, you would likely believe in the Hindu gods, if born in Tibet, you would be a Buddhist. Every culture that has ever existed has had its own god(s) and they always seem to favor that particular culture, its hopes, dreams and prejudices. What, do you think we all exist? If not, why only yours?

Look, let’s be honest with ourselves. There is no god. Believing in me was fine when you thought the World was young, flat and simple. Now we know how enormous, old and complex the Universe is.

Move on – get over me. I did.

God

November 9, 2011 at 9:38 pm |
    • Kent Bowen

That was a waste of a LOT of space...

November 9, 2011 at 9:41 pm |
    • jd

It wont be so funny when your burning HELL!

November 9, 2011 at 9:43 pm |
    • Jason

yo colin. I'd rather believe in an all-powerful God who loves me and saved me from eternal death than believe i am a descendant of a mindless monkey.

November 9, 2011 at 9:45 pm |
    • joey

That was great!

November 9, 2011 at 9:47 pm |
    • ----

What's with the need with trying to convert Tim (or anyone else for that matter) to your, and correct me if I'm wrong, atheist beliefs? Let him do what makes him happy and brings him peace. Get over it.

November 9, 2011 at 9:49 pm |
    • Colin

jd, a bit of fifth grade English, please. The correct expression is "when you're burning in hell". "Your" is possessive, as in "your inability to write like a seventh grader."

So, to your point, according to you, I don't have to kill, I don't have to steal, hell, I don't even have to litter. All I have to do is not believe in [the Christian] god and it will inflict a penalty on me an infinite times worse than the death penalty. And it loves me.

Dark Ages nonsense.

November 9, 2011 at 9:49 pm |
    • gb

Since you seemed to have it all figured out, exactly how did we get here? I'm having a little trouble with the principle of conservation of mass and the origin of the original matter that is now our universe. I'll be anxiously awaiting for your response....probably for eternity.

November 9, 2011 at 9:50 pm |
    • Colin

Yo, Jason. Who cares what you would "prefer" to believe. Reality is what it is. You will die and no sky fairy will keep you on eternal life support. Get over it.

November 9, 2011 at 9:52 pm |
    • Colin is a God of Humor

Colin, first of all – you ARE a god...genius! One critique – you should have enumerated 10 reasons, then we could call them the 0 Non-mandents...think about it, and maybe repost? haha...

You GO god – boyeeee!

November 9, 2011 at 9:54 pm |
    • Colin

Gb, you said, "I'm having a little trouble with the principle of conservation of mass and the origin of the original matter that is now our universe"

How is this supportive of the idea that the Judeo-Christian god exists?

November 9, 2011 at 9:54 pm |
    • Colin is a God of Humor

Sorry, I meant "10 Non-mandents" (not "0 Non-mandents")...what can I say? My cat was walking around on my keyboard!

November 9, 2011 at 9:57 pm |
    • stvnkrs10

Collin. I hope you are wrong but it was hilarious to read your comments amigo. Thanks for the chuckle 🙂

November 9, 2011 at 9:58 pm |
    • Coach Dad

Wow, what a profoundly shallow and selfish person you are for not having any respect for Tim Tebow or any of the billions of Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddists, or many other religions that have been around on this planet and will be around alot longer than you and your pointless opinion. It must be lonely in that hollow world in which you live.

Tim Tebow is praying for you.

November 9, 2011 at 9:59 pm |
    • gb

Colin,

It is not. It is only to demonstrate that there are some questions for which we have no answers right now. Therefore, regardless of what you believe, there is an aspect of faith involved. I don't see believing in a god requiring any more of a leap of faith than believing that there has always been matter floating around in space and that it at some point began to spontaneously organize itself into life. That's all.

November 9, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
    • rw

Wow! Great entry.

November 9, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
    • Kadu

Hahaha... wow... you took all this time to write this stuff? You can't prove God does or doesn't exist... sooooo, you wasted your time writing all this stupid ass letter... move on with your life buddy. Its called faith, some people got it some don't... and some people learn about it.

November 9, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
    • Karl Rickard

Well said, sir....

November 9, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
    • To JASON

Jason says..."yo Colin. I'd rather believe in an all-powerful God who loves me and saved me from eternal death than believe i am a descendant of a mindless monkey."

Dude, that is PRECISELY the point...humans don't want to face the idea of nothing after death. Unfortunate, but all science points to it. Trust me, I hope I'm wrong, but probably not. Who wants to think about that? It's tough, that's why religion and puppet-master gods were invented by man, so they could avoid the bleak idea of nothing after death.

Oh, and for any of you religious wackos who will respond "oh, yeah, science, That! Well you shouldn't believe in science, you should have faith"...problem is, if Christians don't believe in science, why are they driving around in cars built upon the science of the combustion engine? Why are they living in houses lit up like Walmart parking lots using up all that scientifically-discovered electricity? How many Christians go to doctors and get shots or prescriptions or have surgery? SCIENCE! For that matter, Christians (those who pull the "have faith" card and don't believe in the unavoidable scientific conclusion that there isn't a whole lot after you die), why in the HECK ARE YOU READING THIS ON YOUR SCIENTIFICALLY-DESIGNED computers??????????????

November 9, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
    • andrewthree

The evidence of God is all around us. It is in the natural world we can see as well as the spiritual world we cannot see but sometimes have a sense of.

There is very little disagreement among the peoples of the world as to what is right and what is wrong. We all have knowledge of good and evil - and that knowledge is common knowledge. It doesn't differ greatly from one culture to another.

God so loved this world He created that He sent His Son - the incarnate Word - to die to atone for its sins. He who sustains every life can hear every prayer. He loves all and desires for us to be with Him for eternity.

God - being good and loving - must eventually bring the curtain down on sin, on evil. This will not go on and on and on. There will be a day of reckoning and He will judge His creation with justice and mercy. Who receives mercy? Those who ask for it.

November 9, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
    • Mr Chihuahua

"Tim Tebow is praying for you." that would go good on a t-shirt lol!

November 9, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
    • Colin

gb, no scientist thinks that. If they did, I would reject their views as too improbable. The gradual increasing complexity of life on our planet is well explained by abiogenesis and evolution. We no longer need to invoke magic acts by gods, ghosts or goblins to explain the unknown. That was for the Dark Ages. Where we hit "I don't know" lets just accpet the fact rather than try to make up answers and call them "god".

November 9, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
    • TO JASON

Oh, and for any of you religious wacks who will respond "oh, yeah, science, That! Well you shouldn't believe in science, you should have faith"...problem is, if Christians don't believe in science, why are they driving around in cars built upon the science of the combustion engine? Why are they living in houses lit up like Walmart parking lots using up all that scientifically-discovered electricity? How many Christians go to doctors and get shots or prescriptions or have surgery? SCIENCE! For that matter, Christians (those who pull the "have faith" card and don't believe in the unavoidable scientific conclusion that there isn't a whole lot after you die), why in the HECK ARE YOU READING THIS ON YOUR SCIENTIFICALLY-DESIGNED computers??????????????

November 9, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
    • Kadu

Colin, just to help you out... hopefully this helps you understand evolution vs Christianity.. good luck!

November 9, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
    • gb

Colin,

You seem to be avoiding the crux of the question... where did things begin? Where did the first matter come from? What was the impetus for non-living matter to even begin to form the exceedingly complex living matter that we know today. Like it or not, there are problems of irreducible complexity that are not simply explained by evolution. I'm sorry, but I've examined the evidence and it is far from convincing.

November 9, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
    • Colin

gb, first, I assume you are not taking the position that, unless and until science can explain every last detail about the origins of life, we must believe that [the Christian] god was behind it. That would be self-serving and insular in the extreme. Look, we know the Universe is about 13.7 billion years old, the Earth abour 4.6 billion years old and that life gradually evolved over time. There is nothing to suggest it all began 6,000 years ago with one man, one woman and a magic talking snake.

Anyway, children's hour is over. Go back to your Bible, I have more intelligent people to debate with. Please go away.

November 9, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
    • Zach

Hey Colin

Zach here,

You claimed a couple things just again showing how powerful God is, you know how big the universe is, and how he can here all these prayers and yet cares for every one of us. yea i believe it is written in Job that the Lord holds the universe in the span of his hands, also looking at the universe still here, stars are big right, well the bible claims that God breathes them into existence .

second, the bible is inerrant, infallible, without void. please tell me where it is wrong or disproved.

Third lets look at one of my favorite pieces of evidence, that exactly 2011 years ago something astounding happened, that being that every single one of those cultures who have their own God... just so happened to collectively humble themselves to the God of the supposed jews... and said well its not my God but yea lets restart our time frame...

God is not hiding you are just too arrogant and pompous to look outside and see the Glory of creation romans chapter 1 vs 20 starts by saying for his invisible attributes namely his eternal power and divine nature have been clearly perceived ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. so they are without excuse.

yes each culture has its gods, america has the most i would say being money cars family and reading these comments even football. but what i believe you were truley hinting at was the budda alah and others like that, in exodus there were plagues that God formed through moses, egypt by far had a lot of God they had a god for the rivers for the crops for everything, well in those plagues God had destroyed all the gods of egypt because there is only one true God.

also to touch on the fact of being born by your God, God is revealing himself to the nations yes he hasnt done it in you so call time frame but guess what God is patient and loving he is not desireing of puppets who namely worship him because he had to spell stuff in the sky and do these tricks so everyone can worship him. he is about his own glory and he gets alot more glory in some joe shmo getting saved by faith and repentence rather then God smacking him in the face by droping a boulder in his head saying from God

regardless for all your claims your heart is hardened and you chose to deny the proof that is all around i have only been saved for one year and God has so altered my life, being saved / being a christian is not going to church on sunday it is repenting of sins and putting your faith in nothing but the blood of jesus christ.

2011 years ago something happened research proof is everywhere stop deny the truth and get on the winning side before its too late

God Bless

November 9, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
    • gb

Colin,

If you were half as smart as you think you are you'd still be pretty smart. Just go on and keep throwing around terms like "abiogenesis" to convince yourself that you've got things figured out. You and your intelligent friends go on and talk about how stupid everyone else is because they don't have as much "faith" as you all do in science. Oh, and my Bible started collecting dust many years ago...

November 9, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  9. jayman419

It's not offensive for people to "Tebow" on the football field. He brought it to the game. He uses the pose to celebrate his own individual successes. It doesn't matter what sort of celebration pose players choose to engage in, they will eventually be on the receiving end of a good play, and their opponents will flaunt their moves back at them.

Whether it's flapping your "wings", doing a chop, making alligator mouths with your arms.. whatever. Not one player ever mocked Kurt Warner's religion because he kept open displays off the field, despite carrying a bible almost everywhere else he went.

It's writers with nothing meaningful to say who are trying to make it controversial.

November 9, 2011 at 9:37 pm |
    • Kent Bowen

I'm confused, are you making a point? What is it? Something about public vs. private display?

November 9, 2011 at 9:43 pm |
  10. Sea Shells

Most are making fun of Tim and his faith. Some aren't. But, as usual, Tim takes the high road every time!! Love that kid!

November 9, 2011 at 9:33 pm |
    • Bob

And he'll see you at the goat sacrifice after the game.

November 9, 2011 at 9:37 pm |
    • jayman419

How can you be sure that Stephen Tulloch isn't just as religious? How do you know he wasn't simply chiding Tebow for his pride rather than mocking his religion?

November 9, 2011 at 9:39 pm |
    • gb

bob,
      maybe if you keep making snide remarks under each comment regarding faith, everyone will stop believing in God and start believing that once upon a time there was nothing, then nothing happened, then there was a big bang, then that nothing spontaneously became dinosaurs. you've almost got everyone convinced bob, keep going.

November 9, 2011 at 9:46 pm |
  11. MJV

Sports is one of the few things that people from all walks of life can come together and enjoy. There will always be controversy but it's usually in the context of the game, and at the end of the day it's for fun and just a game. Here comes a "Christian" and immediatley creates a divisive atmosphere. Thanks a lot.

November 9, 2011 at 9:33 pm |
  12. You Hypocrites

What Bible is Tebow and others like him reading?

Matthew 6:6 is very clear PRAY IN PRIVATE.

Jesus says God hates the arrogance of public prayer, says God only hears prayer made in private.

November 9, 2011 at 9:32 pm |
    • Bob

Generally, religion needs to have its rituals, prayer included, shrouded in secrecy and privacy. Public scrutiny is not a good thing to religion; and religious belief doesn't stand up under it well.

November 9, 2011 at 9:36 pm |
    • Hmmmmmmmmm

So does that mean God didn't want people to pray together in church ? You are a m*o*r*o*n

November 9, 2011 at 9:39 pm |
    • Sean

The bible also says to pray without ceasing. 1 Thessalonians 5:17 Maybe you should read the whole bible instead of cherry picking a few for your argument.

November 9, 2011 at 9:40 pm |
    • Bebe

Then what does God say about prayer in church? That's considered a public place.....

November 9, 2011 at 9:42 pm |
    • You Hypocrites

It was Jesus that said to pray in PRIVATE. How dare you mock Him.

Remember Jesus? If you are a true Christian you follow his word. His word is to pray in PRIVATE. Now if you can find a quote from the Gospels that prove otherwise post it.

November 9, 2011 at 9:44 pm |
    • You Hypocrites

Church? Jesus says nothing about church, when Jesus was alive there were no churches, Jesus was a Jew.

The Christian church makes things up. Read Matthew 6:6, the word of JESUS!

November 9, 2011 at 9:49 pm |
    • Sean

I think you're mocking him with your responses.

November 9, 2011 at 9:50 pm |
    • You Hypocrites

How could I be mocking Him by quoting him. Matthew 6:6,

I gave you a chance to post a verse were Jesus said it was OK to pray in public, where is it?

And why can't you understand the meaning of Matthew 6:6?

November 9, 2011 at 9:54 pm |
  13. Kent Bowen

A gimmick emulating a (it seems) real moment for Tebow. Neither has any reference to professional football. God doesn't care who wins - football wasn't one of his creations. Everyone has had their 15 minutes, let's move on.

November 9, 2011 at 9:32 pm |
  14. Jan

I don't think God cares about football. However, I do think he cares about what people do with their fame; Do good works quietly off the filed and stop praying on the field.

November 9, 2011 at 9:31 pm |
    • Bob

November 9, 2011 at 9:33 pm |
    • Ed

To Bob:

You wrote – "I've never found any evidence to support even god's existence, so I'd agree that no care of his is evident for this case."

Bob, men and women have been having babies since the dawn of time, yet there is STILL no explanation as to why the sperm penetrates the egg, and all others are barred from entry. There is still no explanation as to why – of all the planets we have discovered in our own solar system, and all of those observed by spacecraft outside our galaxy, there is no life on any of them. You can follow the bread crumbs back a thousand millennia to get a scientific explanation for virtually everything, but you will eventually reach a point where science cannot imagine the cause of something beyond a weak, unsupported hypothesis, or theory. THAT is where God is the only answer. The mere fact that you were here a short time ago to write your myopic comment is evidence enough of God's existence.

November 9, 2011 at 9:45 pm |
  15. busterbobby

Yeah, he's asking for it. Anything you do in front of TV camera and tens of millions of viewers makes you fair game for any comments people care to make. He's showboating.

November 9, 2011 at 9:29 pm |
  16. secularbear

Religion and prayer are deserving of nothing more than mockery, since they are Stone Age practices and beliefs that more civilized and educated humans reject. That's why polls consistently show an inverse relationship between education and religious belief.

November 9, 2011 at 9:29 pm |
    • Ed

So, because a guy PRAYS, he should be ridiculed?? And you say believing in a religion is correlative to a lower education? Ridiculing someone who has done nothing wrong...whose actions have had no negative impact on you certainly doesn't smack of a significant education.

November 9, 2011 at 9:40 pm |
    • Steve Smith

You are funny.

November 9, 2011 at 9:41 pm |
    • Sean

Are you really quoting the "polls" as part of your argument? Well there goes that theory that the secular are smarter than the spiritual.

November 9, 2011 at 9:47 pm |
  17. Eagles Fan

People can say what they want but he manages to win football games. Who cares if it's from passing or running the option... which Denver is considering going to almost full time. I say do it...

November 9, 2011 at 9:27 pm |
    • D

Uh, he also manages to lose football games more than he wins. So according to your logic, since he is losing games, we SHOULD care about his Tebowing?

November 9, 2011 at 9:52 pm |
  18. Get a Grip

respect? how about respecting everybody else in the stadium and watching on tv that don't care to witness your nauseating, self righteous proselytizing? how about that?

November 9, 2011 at 9:27 pm |
    • secularbear

Yeah pretty much all religions seems to require obsessive proselytizing, coupled with incongruous delusions of persecution...

November 9, 2011 at 9:34 pm |
    • shut_up

i pray that you will go back to iran to your sand God!

November 9, 2011 at 9:41 pm |
    • Sean

And what exactly is he doing to try and convert the stadium to Christianity? Kneeling on one knee? Really? Get a grip for sure.

November 9, 2011 at 9:45 pm |
    • Ed

To Get a Grip –

Does Tebow control the cameras? Does he somehow have it written into his contract that for approximately 30 seconds after a Denver score, all cameras (especially during nationally televised games) need to be aimed at him? Of course not. What idiocy to suggest that because YOU are "subjected" to his personal moment of thanks, he should be ridiculed and/or it is acceptable to wish him ill will. What a piece of work!

November 9, 2011 at 9:47 pm |
    • D

So Sean–you wouldn't have a problem if a Muslim yanked out a prayer cloth and prayed to Mecca after a TD? Or a Satanist made a sign of an upside cross and devil horns? I'd have a problem all that crap. I watch football to be entertained, not inundated with religious crap of any stripe.

November 9, 2011 at 9:54 pm |
  19. Rick

I believe this young man will come into his fame someday. You don't win the trophy and take your team to two National Champio nships if you are a lousy quarterback. It would be nice to maybe get some other members of the team to play along also. He usually has more rushing yards than anyone one the team. COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Put some more talent in there with him and no telling how many Super Bowls you can attend. Don't base your whole team around one player....Ask the Colts how that worked out.

November 9, 2011 at 9:24 pm |
  20. Occupado

The guy prays. So what?

I guess you'd all feel better if he sacrificed a goat?

November 9, 2011 at 9:18 pm |
    • joe

he should pray becasue he sucks.

November 9, 2011 at 9:28 pm |
    • secularbear

Doesn't this "god" fellow require animal sacrifices? That's what the "bible" clearly suggests.

November 9, 2011 at 9:32 pm |
    • Bob

You've got that right, bear.

November 9, 2011 at 9:38 pm |
    • Sean

Yup, except for that whole part of the bible called the New Testament. So well read you guys. Why not try reading it before assuming you understand it.

November 9, 2011 at 9:42 pm |