home
RSS
November 11th, 2011

Belief Blog's Morning Speed Read for Friday, November 11

Here's the Belief Blog’s morning rundown of the top faith angle stories from around the United States and around the world. Click the headlines for more.

From the Blog:

CNN: Seeming parallels abound in Penn State, Catholic Church abuse scandals
Both are managed by male dominated-hierarchies. Both are revered by millions of people. And both allegedly dealt with accusations of sexual abuse of children internally, without going to law enforcement authorities.

After 46 years, Jo Pa is out at Penn State

CNN: Study links regular religious service attendance, outlook on life
A new study shows that attending religious services regularly can mean a more optimistic, less depressed, and less cynical outlook on life.

Comment of the Day:

Paterno is the only hero of this story. The rest did cover ups, but Paterno actually did just the opposite: he reported the dude based on only hearsay. That's gutsy. Almost no one here would have the guts to report a well-respected colleague based on hearsay.

– Belief Blog reader Laurie stated what was an unpopular opinion with other commenters on our story about parallels between the Penn State and Catholic Church abuse scandals.

@CNNBelief’s follow of the day: The blog @arabist provides insight into the Arab world with original reporting and opinionated contributors.

Enlightening Reads:

Washington Post: Christian leaders talk about marriage and sex
Last week, Rick Warren sent this message to the nearly 500,000 people who follow him on Twitter: “Husbands & wives should satisfy each other’s sexual needs. 1 Cor 7:3.” His Twitter feed lit up with amens and retweets. “Oh gosh,” exclaimed one follower.

Vanity Fair: In Britain, the “Counter-Cultural” Appeal of Being a Young Nun
For twenty-something women considering a life in a habit, it’s God’s honest truth: “Not everyone looks good in black.” But according to the Catholic Church’s National Office for Vocation, the age range of people showing an interest in formally entering a religious community is skewing younger: the young end is now 16 to 18 years old, whereas 10 years ago it was 30 or 40.

World Magazine: Holding Fast: How an Afghan Christian survived prison and abuse
Musa's story made headlines and stirred officials worldwide last year after agents from Afghanistan's National Security Directorate jailed him for converting from Islam to Christianity. His is a penetrating study of the persecution of converts from Islam—often labeled apostates under Islamic law who can be put to death.

Quote of the Day:

Rome wasn't built in a day, and its untenable power structures won't be dismantled in one either. The Catholic church's Arab spring will take many years, probably decades, to achieve. But hear this, bishops and priests: our spring has started.

Joanna Moorhead of the Guardian newspapers argues in her most recent post that change is coming to the Catholic Church.

Today’s Opinion:

CNN: My Take: Paterno’s unfulfilled ethical obligations
Paul Root Wolpe, the director of Emory University’s Center for Ethics, was raised in the “land of Joe Paterno.” In his Belief Blog post, Wolpe writes that the coach that at one time stood for all that was good about coaching did not live up to the ethics he expected from all of his players.

Join the conversation…
CNN: ‘Tebowing’ prayer stirs debate, but quarterback is OK with it
No one doubted that Tim Tebow was a great college quarterback and a good kid. He has been very public about his Christian faith and invoked God frequently at news conferences. But all the media attention about his faith made some people weary of the name. He's good, they said, but he's no messiah. 700 comments and counting. What do you think?

Lions Linebacker Stephen Tulloch taunts Tebow by Tebowing.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Uncategorized

1. Testing

working?

June 27, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
  2. myklds

To those who have faith, NO explanation is necessary. While to those who don't have (faith), NO explaination would be enough to satisfy its necessity.

May God Bless all atheists with faith.

November 12, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • Min

What a typical response from you. You are incredibly stupid and obviously f-cked up in the head. How very Christian of you.

November 14, 2011 at 12:04 am |
    • myklds

Thanks for the compliment..

May God Bless you with peace and serenity so that the raging fire of too much hate in your heart that rapidly devouring your humanity would cease.

November 14, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
  3. Gyn N DroMorph

I have all the rights in the world to be happy. Laws, Mores, Standards etc. "must" bend to my caprice. I can sodomized any (minors) one as much I desire and nobody should fell harmed coz it only makes me happy.

Your god is trying to stop the urges of my butthole that's why I don't believe he exists.

November 12, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
  4. Keith

hippypoet, there is such a thing as righteous anger. Shame on me for wanting to defend an innocent 10-year-old sodomized boy from someone like yourself who constantly stands up for the h0m0 sodomizer.

November 12, 2011 at 7:13 am |
    • hippypoet

keith, for a so called peace loving, com@ssionate, caring christian .... you are quite the hater... you insult, judge, show pride for your religion – which is an oxymoron, much like you being your just a moron....and yes, i did hit report abuse, but not like a pu$$y... i have never known those to have arms... i did it because you are showing hatred towards someone while being a believer in something that preaches love for all!
      You sir, are a moron who according to your own belief, will burn in hell...so if "god" exists, we will get to meet each other, yay – i am soooo excited! Now shooo you twit, don't you have others you hate on, get going!

November 12, 2011 at 9:57 am |
    • HippyKite

@Keith

Althoguh you're right but as a Christian you don't have the right to get angry. Anger and hatred is exclusively for atheists, specially the gay ones.

November 12, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
    • Keith

HippyKite, Jesus trashed the money changers outside the Temple.

November 12, 2011 at 7:44 pm |
    • Keith

Hippypoet, love for all? Where do you come up with that? I'm not instructed to love evil. Where do you get your info? You have no idea what it means to be saved. I'm no better than you or anyone else in God's eyes-just better off. I admit to being a sinner. I have repented and placed my faith in the fact that Jesus paid my penalty at the cross. Does that mean I'm perfect? No. Not even close. The main difference between you and me is that I realize there is literally hell to pay. I realize that Jesus made a Way for me to be reconciled with God. You can do the same. Without this reconciliation with God, you are an enemy of God. We all will stand in judgement before Him-I choose to claim the blood of Christ as my defense. I appreciate what my Savior did for me. I know I'm not the best amba$$ador for Christ. Don't reject the Savior because of me. I was told in the 3rd grade to do good in spite of the teacher I didn't like. You and I may see each other some day, but it won't be in hell (probably solitary confinement), if I see you it will be because you got saved, too.

November 12, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
    • hippypoet

Jesus is not the son of god nor the lamb nor having anything to do with god.... if you'd like my theory on this matter, i would be glad to share it keith...it is factually based and i take from historic events to draw my conclusions... You place faith in hope, in a thought, an idea that isn't even yours...the IDEA that you base your life on is a cult classic!...its been around for near 3000 years, and no one has ever been able to prove the existence of your god. So i place faith in facts and reality...in proof and proper deduction thru facts and evidence...I have been saved, by my wife and her daughter...please look up the word delusion...claiming that you are saved thru a dead guy is the definition of delusion! But hey, what do i know... i just constantly study and do research! what has your faith in a 2000 year old dead guy brought you besides furtherment of your delusions? You claim to be happier because of it...but its the idea of being saved that makes you feel happy...and on a side note, most become christians thru the idea of repentance, a.k.a. they did wrong things and they know in reality they are screwed so they hope for a second life where they are allowed the freedom that they once enjoyed!

November 12, 2011 at 9:06 pm |
    • hippypoet

oh and the story of jesus knocking over the table in the temple where the lenders held the money is a lovely excuse for your anger...this is you in your head "well he got mad, so , so can I ! " thats the mentality of a child! The story says BTW that he knocked it over so the money would fall on the ground which makes it impossible for a true rabbi to pick it up because its on the ground and dirty and also allows the people whoes money it was to pick it back up! Nice try!

November 12, 2011 at 9:10 pm |
    • Keith

If He's not God, why do people including yourself, curse in His name? Why not curse in Bhudda's name? Or Hamurrabi? Or Allah? Or Mohammed? I think we all know the answer.

November 13, 2011 at 5:04 am |
    • hippypoet

I don't curse his name at him but those who believe for they (that includes you) believe that god does the judging and punishing and its against its laws to speak the name in vain, well god damnit if i just don't care....oh and in the book you base your life its says that others have been killed, even wiped out for equal insult of your god...or is whats written just a moral code and not to be taken at face value....with this i can easily say that because it argues the existence of god but i am not taking it at face value perhaps its an analogy for the controling force behind actions, a.k.a. law enforcers and judges and prisons and stuff of that sort – but then in this country we have a separation of church and state which the founding fathers created a code of laws and rights for the people who would be "controled" under this authority....much like those county's that once were christian nations ruled by king and queen who used "god's laws" and there own earthly desires as laws to keep the peace or just there own tranny in rule! So I guess i would take Hamurrabi for his code of laws are not only legendary but most every other code written afte is based on its basic princibles.....equal treatment of crimes and criminals...

funny how such a novel idea is not found in the bible – instead it very clearly states the Jews are "god's" chosen people....so if jesus was the son of god then it only makes sense that all that are not jews but follow his teachings will end up much like everyone else, in hell ,in flames and super fun times with the S man..... not very nice.

November 13, 2011 at 11:15 am |
    • Keith

Hippypoet, No offense, but you don't understand the Bible, nor the theme of the Bible. Jesus is the Christ. He is the Way God made so we could come back into fellowship with our Creator. When the Jews rejected Messiah, the Gentiles(non-Jews) were allowed salvation(the Church). God is not, however, done with Jews as I'm afraid the whole world is about to find out. Never has a tribe or people group been dispersed and scattered only to become a nation again almost 2000 years later(just like the Bible says) and retain their language, Hebrew(just like the Bible says). You can reject the Bible all you want, but any thinking person can see that it has merit. Isn't it interesting to see the Arab Spring and compare it with Psalm 83? Once Syria topples A$$ad and the muslim brotherhood uses his chemical weapons on Israel, things are going to get interesting. Then the whole world will know Jehovah is God(just like the Bible says).

November 13, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
    • hippypoet

i am afriad to tell you this but you sir are insane.... i understand the bible well beyond any believer as i can see it for a work of man whom then claim to be gods words and then fight and kill over it – which again is insane. Your fears are unfounded and live by them if you wish, but what i said above is true... jesus if the son of god and since god said that the jews were gods chosen people, all people who think they are saved because of the teachings of jesus are just playing with themselves! But why think thoughts when a book to tell you all you need to die happy! The converting of the gentiles was a human task, and no god told anyone to do that – so they were infact going against gods plan of saving the chosen people and by doing this,it allows people like you , not jewish, to THINK you will be saved by another people's god... you air are a thief as much as jesus was when he stole the philosphies of Buddhism and of Zoroasterianism!!! But hey, like i said, why think thoughts and even attempt to understand truth when all thats needed is reading a book written by man – sounds a lot that word i told you to look up – delusion...you sir are not only insane, a thief, but also knee deep in a delusion. ok so the first and the last are pretty much the same, but whatever!

November 13, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
    • Keith

dude, you are so lost. Sad, truly sad. You've been blinded by the god of this world. You know what, Hippypoet? I can do nothing more for you but pray for you. Would a hateful person do that? I pray that God would do whatever is necessary to remove the scales from your eyes and reveal the truth to you.

November 13, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
    • hippypoet

you can pray all you "wish".... i said that because its a pun! wishes and prayers do not work – if you believe they do, yay for you...research the placebo affect!... and you are a hateful person – against g@ys and others who feel there pain due to people like you! You are whats wrong with this world and the faster you folks die off the faster the planet can emerge from the religious hateful dark age! You have accused me of being on the side of those who abuse, I am most defintly not – but i am against those who hate those who have done nothing but live peaceful happy loving lives! YOU! Have fun wishing there is a god and it cares about you! ALL YOU HAVE ARE THOUGHTS AND DREAMS YOU HOPE ARE TRUE, AND WITHOUT PROOF THATS IS A CLEAR SIGN OF INSANITY! LOOK IT UP.... THE FIRST DEFINITION OF INSANITY IS DOING THE SAMETHING OVER AND OVER AGAIN EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULTS! maybe i'm insane as well for this thought that you moronic insane folks will ever come back to the light of truth and realize that having hopes is not a bad thing, but forming lifestyles around an idea of hope which is only forefulled once you die is very very insane and can be harmful to oneself! It begs me to ask the question of why don't you and everyone like you get together and kill the person to your left, you committ murder, which can be forgiven, but more importantly – you don't committ suicide... but MOST importantly, you will no longer be here to spread your hate and bigotry! research Masada.... the fortress built my herod and used by jews as there final stand against Rome...very interesting questions arise when studing this historic event! Consider your act a homage to history.... LOL

November 13, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
    • Keith

hippypoet, I don't hate you. I hate evil. The more I read the Bible, the more I see what a miserable wretch I am and how holy God is and the vast span between the two of us. But praise God, He bridged that gap. The more I read the Bible the more I see what evil is and the destruction it causes and it makes me sick. Therefore, I hate it. If that makes me "hateful" as defined by you, so be it. I'm guilty as charged.

November 13, 2011 at 6:12 pm |
    • hippypoet

so you won't research the placebo affect? or Masada? or the definition of insanity? But you will contuine to read the same 2000 year old book, written by man for man about his delusions...interesting. I tried atleast, go on about your life – one can only HOPE you find truth...and atleast you know how to read, maybe using this skill you will branch out and read other books.

November 13, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
    • Keith

what do you call someone who engages an insane person in dialogue?

November 13, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
    • hippypoet

lol, either a doctor, family, or fellow insane person! I did say that i very well may be as i keep tring to convice you believers against your beliefs.

November 13, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
    • Keith

As far as the Bible goes, if I had one book that I could have-that would be it. Kind of like a fisherman with a blue and silver cleo. People put their lives at risk to smuggle that book into closed countries. It has great value to them, and me.

November 13, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
    • hippypoet

have you found no other books of value that still taught lessions? i really love a book called the tao of pooh, it really did change my outlook on life. the secondly book wasn't as good but still very very good! I love books on philosophy, the tao of pooh os taoism thru winnie the pooh. PLEASE CHECK IT .... its a really good book. Afterall, i have read yours.

November 13, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
    • Keith

I guess we can agree to disagree then? At least we can still do that in America. I do apologize for losing my cool and calling you names. I'm still human-I won't realize sinlessness until the next phase of my life. I tend to get fired up and p^ssionate about things.

November 13, 2011 at 6:50 pm |
  5. hippypoet

hehe keith... you are so angry...so christian of you!

November 12, 2011 at 12:11 am |
  6. Martin

OK let me state my opposition to Evolution: It has NOTHING to do with anything in the Bible, although I am a Christian. But I am an analytical person. I understand Natural selection actually happens..I question the ability of natural selection to drive change to the point of a change in species.
    Consider this:
    Mankind has been selectively breeding dogs for thousands of years.. this is "evolution" on steroids.. meaning that the selective breeding choices essentially mimic catastrophic environments. i.e... certain populations can reproduce, while others cannot, and change progresses, and we see this in the wide variety of dog BREEDS (not species).

So despite thousands of years of man induced accelerated "Natural" selection, mankind has not caused dogs to cross the species barrier. (there is no "DOG/CAT") A three year old child can look at a malti Poo & a Great dane, and discern that they are both dogs, not some other 4 legged mammal.

So in order to believe evolution, one must believe that intelligent man has not been able to do ON PURPOSE, what has actually happened ON ACCIDENT.

On top of that, all leading HONEST evolutionists admit their disappointment in the fossil record.. it did not pan out as predicted.
    Do I have an alternative theory? No, but I am an evolution skeptic.

Evolution is theoretically caused by changing environments, which cannot approach the change rates that mankind has forced on the canine species

November 11, 2011 at 9:50 pm |
    • Nate (Seattle, WA)

My god (pun intended), you're stupid. Evolutionists DO NOT express disappointment in the fossil record. As Richard Dawkins, one of the world's leading evolutionary biologists says, "It's remarkable that we have any fossil record at all". The theory of evolution by natural selection also does not depend on the fossil record. That just reinforces the case for Darwin's work. If you actually read Darwin, you'd realize that he didn't rely on fossils to form the details of his theory in the first place.

You religious ignoramuses constantly talk about these so-called gaps in the fossil record, but every few years, we fill more of those gaps. Finding fossils is hard, and there's not a lot of money in doing it. It also took the perfect conditions, in terms of temperature, pressure, and moisture, for fossils even to exist. Most biomatter simply decays, is regenerated as new plant or animal life, or sinks into the earth to become oil in millions of years.

Your dog and cat argument has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard a grown adult say. People are not trying to turn dogs into cats, you moron!!!!

Not to mention that a few thousand years is actually a pretty short time on evolutionary scales. It's a very slow process, and man certainly has not understood the science of genetics until only very recently.

I mean seriously. Dogs turning into cats? Just when I thought the religious couldn't get any more brain-dead, somebody like you crawls out of the woodwork.

November 12, 2011 at 5:24 am |
    • Martin

Considering predictions... I have found that the probability that an atheist/evolutionist will choose insults and name calling over facts to be remarkably high.. it's in the 90's in this board.

November 14, 2011 at 12:48 am |
    • Martin

I'm glad that you admit that "In a few years..we'll fill the gap..." Thereby admitting that there is a gap! Hmm??? Didn't think that one through did ya?

Nevertheless... no breeder has ever caused an animal to cross the species barrier. The is a FACT. Breeders know what happens: There are limits.. the animals begin to fail in function.. Very large dogs have limited lifespans.. Bulldogs and other flat faced dogs have difficulty breathing. fish can no longer swim.. or see. there are LIMITS to natural selection.

November 14, 2011 at 12:53 am |
  7. Bo

Hi! Hippy, didn't we talk about CNN's choice for blogs yesterday? I actually opened this blog earllier, but every thing was old news, so I just left. Again, some poster needs to come up with something to talk about. I noticed that some poster on a previous blog asked, where did all the water go from the Biblical accout of a world wide flood go. I got a DVD last week on prehistoric dinosors, which encluded the scientific therory that at one time or another that much of the earth was covered with water millina ago and the explination of how it came about and disappeared. So why couldn't the water of the Bibical flood have appeared and disappeared in much the same way? The Bible says the "fountains of the deep broke open, the evolutionist therory says the same.

November 11, 2011 at 10:10 am |
    • Brad

Evolutionist theory is substantially correct – the vast preponderance of scientific evidence supports it. In everything from advanced programming algorithms to economic principles to the actual work of molecular biology and engineering darwinist principles have proven valid and useful. Christians have to come to grips with that as much as anyone.

November 11, 2011 at 11:32 am |
    • hippypoet

well Bo, i would say that if one wants to believe the flood, the world wide one, one must know that the planet was covered by ice sheets and only about 12000 years ago did they start to melt... over the span of hunreds of years they melted.. granted there is some evidence to suggest that in some area the water levels rose as much as 60 feet over night! But thats a localized flooding, nothing to the amount of what would be needed to flood the planet to the top of Mount. Ararat. The idea of the warming of the earth by the sun could have vaporized some of the water, there would still be much more, a crap load more, evidence suggesting the planet was indeed covered in water! At this point in history, we know that most civilizations have a flood myth. Its a fact that most civilizations grew into great powers because of there location near a water source...mainly a river, and rivers flood, if they flood to much, your screwed and will most likely die without food.... Name any great civilization and I can name the body of water the gave them there power...

i once wrote a poem about such things – Down great mountains they flow, into known valleys they go, always to where great civilizations grow. thats just the first line, from that point it gets rather political.... it was written for a friend of mine who died in Iraq. heres a another line because i want to – Only with the touch of the coast do they have the grain to toast. Now dreamly with bread the hop ship and set sail, whenever power is in contend diplomacy will fail!

sry if i went off at the end...

November 11, 2011 at 11:47 am |
    • Brad

I've come back to this, at least in thought, several times this morning. I'm familiar with geology over the time span of the human race and over the time span of the planet. I know a bit about theories of evolution as applied to life. I don't know where the assertion that lots more water existed once than we have now. There probably was more water on the early Earth – some is lost due to photo-dissociation of water in the upper atmosphere with loss of the hydrogen (mainly). I don't think the drying effect accounts for much water here. We probably have about as much water now as we did 1 billion years or so ago. Also, I'm not aware that theories of evolution require or imply a super-abundance of water at some time in the past. Can you source that?

November 11, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
    • hippypoet

one thing that most who believe in the great flood fail to see is that ice is water just frozen...if you take half the earths water and froze it, you get huge ice sheets covering the majority of the planet...and since salt doesn't freeze, the oceans at this point in history have a much higher salt content... all i'm saying is that because the ice was there, the people who may have existed at that time would have known a world where the Azores weren't islands, but instead several mountains with a valley between them – much like that of Plato's writings on Atlantis... so once the ice melts all the coastly settlements are either abandoned and are killed by rapidly rising water levels and changing the coast lines. Just a random fact – the North American camel used the land bridge to walk to asia and leave us camel-less at the same time as the hunters track the herds into the Americas – cool huh.

November 11, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
    • Brad

Indeed – and it's happened many times, a kind of global freeze-thaw cycle. The latest was impressive and had a big impact on humanity.

November 11, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
    • Nate (Seattle, WA)

Brad, I'm not sure what you're smoking, but Christians are perhaps the worst group of people in this country, in terms of coming to grips with the reality that evolution by natural selection is settled science.

Atheists have long understood what you pea-brained religious folk struggle to wrap your minds around.

November 12, 2011 at 5:28 am |
    • Brad

I resemble that remark.

November 12, 2011 at 8:36 am |
  8. Keith

cnn, you excercise poor judgement and poor taste with your decision to post a picture of two f^gs kissing in front of a cross. I, for one, do not approve. You are the epitome of a reprobate mind.

November 11, 2011 at 9:10 am |
    • hippypoet

you are a bigot and an @sshole, i want you to know that it was me who hit "report abuse" ALL people have the right to be happy – you should be happy with the knowledge that you chose to think more about the two men kissing by writing about it! now go die a lonely death!

November 11, 2011 at 9:24 am |
    • Brad

The picture is nice. Two people in love. Perhaps its the traditional kiss after a marriage ceremony and they have their whole lives together ahead of them.

November 11, 2011 at 9:54 am |
    • gerald

Ah yes. Everyone do what makes them happy. Did you ever see throw mamma from a train in which Danny Devito hates his mother and so plots to throw her from a train for the goal of "happiness"? Some women think that having s e x with lots of men will make them happy. Then end up abused and broken after enjoying moments of happiness. Hmsx is the same. It may bring brief "happiness" but in the end it will leave gays broken.

November 11, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
    • Brad

@gerald

Though I do believe that you and I and everyone are by nature sinful and unclean, I think we should wish everyone a chance at happiness.

November 11, 2011 at 12:55 pm |
    • tallulah13

Gerald, I posted this elsewhere, but I'd really like to hear what you have to say:

gerald, please show how hom.os.exuality hurts anyone? Please cite current, credible scientific studies to prove your point. If you chose to cite your god or your bible, please provide proof that a) your god is real and b) the the bible is indeed his word.

November 11, 2011 at 1:01 pm |
    • J.W

gerald I do not think I understand why being in a relationship will leave gays broken.

November 11, 2011 at 1:14 pm |
    • Keith

t13, cite current credible sources? How about this Jerry Sandusky? A grown man sodomizing a 10-year-old boy. This man is performing a h0m0s^xual act on this boy. This man is hurting this boy. Are you that incredibly stupid that you can't see this? Well, are you? H0m0s^xuality is directly harming children. You are collaborating with evil by supporting them. Want another source? Explain the evil sick organization NAMBLA to everyone. You f^gs and f^g lovers are sick sons of b!tiches.

November 11, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
    • Keith

hippyf^ggot, call me all the names you want. You support h0m0's. You love NAMBLA. You support hurting children. You can go to hell.

November 11, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
    • Keith

furthermore hippypunk, last time I checked it wasn't illegal to be a bigot and an ^hole. What are you going to do? Hit report abuse like a pu$$y? Why don't you get your LBGT military to come an arrest me? Or better yet, why don't you grow a set and do it yourself? Like I said before, your opinion means nothing....

November 11, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
    • Concerned Lutheran

Keith, you have issues. Let us help you.

November 11, 2011 at 7:35 pm |
  9. hippypoet

agian with the recapping articles.....whatever ,hehe – first poster! naner naner boo boo!

November 11, 2011 at 7:42 am |