home
RSS
November 14th, 2011

Bob Jones III latest Christian leader to doubt Obama's Christianity

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Bob Jones III, chancellor of the fundamentalist South Carolina university that bears his family’s name, has become the latest conservative Christian leader to publicly cast doubt on President Barack Obama’s stated Christian commitment.

“Some people will say whatever they think the politically helpful thing would be,” Jones said. “I say, 'Where is the evidence that he is a Christian?' "

Jones is an influential conservative leader in South Carolina, home to one of the nation’s key Republican primaries next year. Bob Jones University, where Jones served as president from 1971 to 2005, is a popular stop for GOP candidates courting Christian votes.

This year, evangelical leader Franklin Graham questioned Obama’s Christian commitment, telling ABC News that for Obama, “going to church means he’s a Christian,” while for Graham, “the definition of a Christian is whether we have given our life to Christ.”

Last year, Graham insisted that Obama was born a Muslim, though the president hasn’t said that.

“I think the president's problem is that he was born a Muslim; his father was a Muslim,” Graham told CNN’s John King in August 2010. “The seed of Islam is passed through the father like the seed of Judaism is passed through the mother.

"Now, it's obvious that the president has renounced the prophet Mohammed, and he has renounced Islam, and he has accepted Jesus Christ,” Graham, son of famed evangelist Billy Graham, continued. “That is what he says he has done. I cannot say that he hasn't. So I just have to believe that the president is what he has said."

Polls show that a minority of Americans can correctly identify Obama’s Christian faith. Obama writes about accepting Jesus in his book “Dreams from My Father,” and he regularly prays with a handful of Christian pastors.

In the interview with National Journal, Jones said that he hasn’t endorsed Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, as he did in the 2008 cycle, partly because he believes that a Mormon candidate won’t face as many obstacles among Christian voters in next year’s primaries.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Barack Obama • Christianity

1. Atheist 1# To THE BIBLE IS GARBAGE

I'M just lying you guys. I'm just a big Ideologically to the right republican That's i would Vote For the Party That Pushes Go And Jesus down your throat but now that i know my Dummy Christian way can never FOOL YOU SMART ETHICAL REASONABLE LOGICAL,and SCIENCE LOVING ATHEIST I THINK IT BEST TO MURDER MY SELF.

November 15, 2011 at 12:10 am |

OUTSTANDING! er... Outstanding.

November 15, 2011 at 12:12 am |
    • THE BIBLE IS GARBAGE

YOU'RE SO CLEVER AND REMARKABLY INTUITIVE. I AM AMAZED AT YOUR ABILITY TO READ ME LIKE A CHILDREN'S BOOK.

I'M AN ATHEIST. I'M NOT A DEMOCRAT OR A REPUBLICAN. I HATE BOTH PARTIES. THEY ARE BOTH FULL OF POLITICIANS IN IT ALL FOR PERSONAL GAIN. WOULD YOU LIKE TO PLAY MORE GUESSING GAMES? YOU'RE SO GOOD AT IT.

November 15, 2011 at 12:16 am |
    • mre

can i play

someone has their capslock key up their ass

wat did i win

November 15, 2011 at 12:24 am |
    • Passive Agressive

Garbage, are you referring to me? I don't know or care what you are or are not. Just turn of the stupid Caps Lock you twit.

November 15, 2011 at 12:25 am |
    • Passive Agressive

mre, I don't THINK you want to play with Garbage's ass, but it's your call.

November 15, 2011 at 12:27 am |
    • Jackson

Both You Guy's can suck my Bipartisan Ball ! I Going to sleep

November 15, 2011 at 12:27 am |
    • Passive Agressive

Jackson, I am sorry to hear about the loss of your other ball.

November 15, 2011 at 12:33 am |
  2. RightTurnClyde

Well we know that he is not a Christian. He preacher (Rev.Wright) was not a Christian. Farrakhan was in the front row of the church and Wright was damning the U.S. - never even mentioned Jesus . not once. So it was not a Christian church - it was ana ctivites church of some kind. We know that his wife is not a Christian and tat they both hate the flag of the U.S. We know that he went to a Muslim school in Indonesia and that he quotes the Kuran (not the Bible). He calls it the "Holy Kuran." He does call the bible the "Holy Bible." He says we are a Muslim country .. not Christian. His Homeland Security director declared that Christian are a terrorist threat and he did not countermand her declaration - wouldn't that make him one? Except he is not a Christian and neither is she. Neither is Bill Ayers. By their behavior and associates they are all communist and atheist. But they all favor Muslim. (A good bet that Hillary is atheist and communist as well). And Joy Behar and many of her girlfriends too.

November 14, 2011 at 11:53 pm |
    • THE BIBLE IS GARBAGE

LIBERALS ARE COMMUNISTS BY NATURE. CONSERVATIVES JUST LOVE JESUS AND THEIR BIBLES. OBAMA IS A CLOSET REPUBLICAN. HE LIKES WAR. AND COMMUNISTS LIKE WAR TOO. SO THAT MEANS BOTH LIBERALS AND CONSERVATIVES ARE CLOSET COMMUNISTS BECAUSE COMMUNISTS ENJOY WAR. SEE? YOU CAN TIE IT ALL TOGETHER REAL EASY. I ONCE READ A STORY THAT JFK WAS GOING TO GO PUBLIC ABOUT MJ-12 AND HE'D TOLD MARYLIN MONROE ABOUT IT AND THAT'S WHY THEY WERE OFFED. TRUE STORY. NOT THE STORY ITSELF. THE STORY THAT I WROTE ABOUT ONCE READING A STORY, THAT'S THE TRUE PART. MJ-12 LOL. BOB LAZAR OR HOWEVER YOU SPELL THAT GUY'S NAME WAS FULL OF CRAP.

November 14, 2011 at 11:59 pm |
    • Passive Agressive

Yes! Thanks RTC, you have cheered my up tremendously. Fuk Christians, the most destructive force on Earth. Obama 2012!!

November 15, 2011 at 12:07 am |
    • Jackson

I'M just lying you guys. I'm just a big Ideologically to the right republican That's why I would Vote For the Party That Pushes God And Jesus down your throat but now that i know my Dume Christian ways can never FOOL YOU SMART ETHICAL REASONABLE,LOGICAL and SCIENCE LOVING ATHEIST I THINK IT'S BEST TO MURDER MY SELF.

November 15, 2011 at 12:08 am |

Left Wing = Good
      Right Wing = Bad
      RTC = Wierd
      Bible Garbage = TURN OF THE FUKING CAPS LOCKS FOR GOD'S SAKE

November 15, 2011 at 12:11 am |
    • THE BIBLE IS GARBAGE

November 15, 2011 at 12:22 am |
    • RightTurnClyde

Well all of you left wing lilly livered sissies had no stomach to muster in .. so you let us right wing guy go in your place. You were cowards .. along with Jane Fonda and Tom Hayden and Abbie Hoffman and Bill Ayers and Bernadette Dohrn. So you are only free to speak your mind because we gave that too you. But after we are gone you are in big trouble because your neighbors are going to take it away .. starting with the one you have now. You will be peasants (like Russia) in less than 25 years.

November 15, 2011 at 12:29 am |

Garbage
      OK YOUR CALL.

November 15, 2011 at 12:29 am |
    • Passive Agressive

RTC, clearly you will kick the bucket soon. God's speed.

November 15, 2011 at 12:31 am |
    • O.S. Bird

Irrational rants like yours just work against you. Try calming down and thinking a bit.

November 15, 2011 at 12:47 am |
    • tallulah13

The one thing I've learned from the belief blog is that christians are the worst liars of all.

November 15, 2011 at 1:25 am |
    • ThinkForYourself

@tallulah – I'll add that most of them don't have a clue what the No True Scottsman fallacy is since they commit it constantly (I'm looking at you, RTC)

November 15, 2011 at 1:31 am |
    • Fallacy Spotting 101

Post by RightTurnClyde is the No True Scotsman fallacy.

November 15, 2011 at 1:42 am |
    • AZpatriot

@RightTurnClyde: you are some kind of nutty.
      not one thing you said is remotely true.

November 15, 2011 at 3:29 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Thank you, Clod, for proving once again that you are a complete and utter moron.

November 15, 2011 at 7:39 am |
    • dt

He's a Christian and so is his wife.Black people have to preach against white peoples demonic hatred for them.only Satan himself make you hate a man because he loves all people.you don't love anyone except those who participate in white idolatry.as blacks we only pledge alligence to Yahweh and his beloved son whose name is does not begin with the letter J.look it up gentile .we no longer pledge to alligence to idols as we were taught by heathens like you.I bet you still put up you pagan Christmas tree too.You people are the ones who don't know who Christ is .you don't turn the other cheek but you expect black people to as you keep calling us unpatrioric.You want black people to hate Islam but we won't.White so called Christians will never be brethren to black Christians because white Christians are always plotting and scheming against the black and Latin.What kind of prayer did your ancestors pray during the civil war? Was it Jesus help us keep them in slavery or help them to become free ? What kind of sick religion did your ancestry conjure up to make you hate black people like this.

November 15, 2011 at 7:51 am |
    • KeithTexas

Watch it Right Turn, there are Communist around every corner too. All those Communist have s e x with the devil once a week or so.

November 28, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  3. Jackson

Is Revelation Really a part of the Bible or just some guys dream

November 14, 2011 at 11:45 pm |
    • Occupy Belief Blog

Never heard of "Revelation" but if you believe in it okey dokey.

November 14, 2011 at 11:50 pm |
    • RightTurnClyde

What difference does it make to you? Would it matter if it were?

November 14, 2011 at 11:54 pm |
    • Jackson

I Debating my very Religious Black Family!

November 14, 2011 at 11:59 pm |
    • Passive Agressive

Jackson, You debating your ability to speak English.

November 15, 2011 at 12:09 am |
    • The Veteran

God spoke to prophets in visions and dreams.

November 15, 2011 at 5:49 am |
  4. Enoch

Has President Obama blessed the Egyptian army to murder Coptic Christians when he was in Cairo? Or, why is Mr. Obama silent when Libyan Arabs are waging an open genocide against black Africans in the presence of NATO forces?

November 14, 2011 at 11:41 pm |
    • Occupy Belief Blog

Yeah! Or Black Africans waging war on Black Africans?? It is all Obama's fault!!

November 14, 2011 at 11:48 pm |
  5. Neil

Bob Jones wants evidence? What a hoot!

November 14, 2011 at 11:38 pm |
    • O.S. Bird

That's a good one, no doubt about it (pun intended).

November 14, 2011 at 11:46 pm |
    • KeithTexas

I guess they could find a little boy to abuse together.

November 28, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
  6. David Johnson

Golly, this sort of sounds like sh!t talk from the Religious Right.

Bob Jones III said: "I've no reason to think he's a Christian,” Jones told National Journal in an interview published Saturday. “Anyone can say he's a Christian.

Yes, they can Bob. Anybody can claim just about anything. Pass the 'ol collection plate. Jesus needs so much money. The hard part, is the proving what you say is true or exists in this instance.

It's my belief that if you have something to say, then you have something to prove.

So, prove that Obama isn't a Christian. Prove that you are not just wanting a Tea Party candidate to be the next president. Prove that this isn't just your way of trying to dig up the "Obama is a Muslim" or "Obama is not a citizen" trash all over again.

Boy, did you notice that vote in Mississippi? I loved it!

I think Obama is a Christian. Is He a fallin' on the floor, talkinin' in tongues, snake handlin' Evangelical? No, Obama's parents were not brother and sister. *smile warmly*.

I am not a Christian. I think the Christian god is very unlikely to exist. I think Jesus was just a myth based on the sun gods of around His time.

I would never vote for a person claiming "Jesus told me to run".

I would vote for Kathy Griffin in a heartbeat! She summed it up really well when she told Jesus to suck it, on an Emmy awards program.

Some people, just have a way with words. Amen.

Cheers!

November 14, 2011 at 11:26 pm |
    • mre

you have a way with words but kathy griffin sucks big time

November 15, 2011 at 12:26 am |
  7. Bo

If Obama is Christian, he doesn't display a Christian characther.

November 14, 2011 at 11:25 pm |
    • Occupy Belief Blog

Thanks Bo, I agree, and thank goodness.

November 14, 2011 at 11:31 pm |
    • tallulah13

You're right. Our President has tried to create cooperation between the parties, has done his best to make health care available to all, has tried to stabilize our economy and has done his best to be honest and do a good job. From what I've learned on the Belief Blog, that is not how christians behave at all.

Frankly, I don' see why anyone would want to be a christian. I've never meet a decent human being who behaves like the "good" christians I've encountered here.

November 15, 2011 at 1:31 am |
    • Fallacy Spotting 101

Post by Bo is the No True Scotsman fallacy.

November 15, 2011 at 1:43 am |
    • AZpatriot

@Bo: and you do?

November 15, 2011 at 3:35 am |
    • The Veteran

Christian character is summed up into one word: L.O.V.E. And we cannot get that kind of Love without Faith in God.

What do you think Christianity is?

November 15, 2011 at 5:51 am |
    • David Johnson

I bet you think Perry acts like a true Christian. Perry forms groups to pray to Jesus. He make a big deal of praying. Do you think maybe he does this, to impress the Religious Right?

If you think about it, Perry does a pretty good job of showing prayer doesn't work. Or at least, prayer doesn't work for Perry...

Since we believe so strongly in our god, let's let Him decide! We will put a crown on the ground in front of the 4 who claim god wants them to be president. We will then ask god to levitate the crown and put it on the head of the person He prefers. We can do this on CNN!

I'm excited over this, Bo! Truly our nation's leader will be one chosen by god!

Maybe god will make a house fall on Bachmann...

Check this out, Bo:

You have no evidence that your Christian god exists. Prayer doesn't work.

Or, do you have evidence to support your lunatic beliefs?

Cheers!

November 15, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
    • KeithTexas

I am glad about that, those Christians are a s s holes

November 28, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
  8. Strawn85

what ever happened to seraration of church and state in my opinion the politions of the us should not be allowed to mention anything about there religion i think that i causes to many arguements with the government

November 14, 2011 at 11:09 pm |
    • Occupy Belief Blog

Amen to that. Imagine how awesome it would be to have an athiest in charge and making common sense decisions. We can always dream.

November 14, 2011 at 11:15 pm |
  9. Slumberjack

All of Obama's actions thus far indicates that the stench of Christianity surrounds him. He has looted, burned, pillaged and killed people in other lands to shore up the interests of the mercantile class. This is what Christianity has accomplished throughout it's history, with genocidal consequences wherever it has reared its ugly head.

November 14, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
    • Occupy Belief Blog

He did not.

November 14, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
    • Slumberjack

Technically you're right. The US Military and the CIA are doing it for him...on his direction. Onward Christian soldiers and what not.

November 14, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
    • Occupy Belief Blog

November 14, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
    • THE BIBLE IS GARBAGE

BREATH OF FRESH AIR ISN'T WHAT I'D CALL IT. WITH THIS TOOLBAG IN OFFICE I FEEL LIKE I'M STANDING IN A FULL PORTA POTTY BREATHING HEAVILY THROUGH MY NOSE ON A HOT SUMMER DAY. AND PEOPLE KEEP WALKING BY AND BUMPING INTO IT CAUSING A SMALL OVERFLOW ONTO THE FLOOR THAT SPLASHES ON MY SHOES.

THAT'S MY PERSONAL TAKE ON THE OBAMA PRESIDENCY THUS FAR.

November 14, 2011 at 11:47 pm |
    • Passive Agressive

Bible Garbage, like I said, a breath of fresh air from Dubya. Thank you for agreeing.

November 15, 2011 at 12:15 am |
    • Slumberjack

From 'occupy's' responses, we can guage the sorry condition of the left in Amerikkka when it thinks that Obama, with his hand picked entourage of Wall Street and Goldman Sachs executives 'occupying' key positions in his administration, and with a military industrial complex killing people around the world, other Americans included, every waking day, is seen as a breath of fresh air. The liberal left in Amerikka is a front for losers, who have collectively been beaten around the ears for so long by the club of neo-liberalism that they have been rendered silly and incapable of a single coherent thought.

November 15, 2011 at 6:05 am |
    • David Johnson

@Occupy Belief Blog

You said: "I know I am, and you have no point. Obama has been a true breath of fresh air after 8 years of that retarded guy. Four more years and we we see more progress."

Amen, brother!

Cheers!

November 15, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
  10. Smelly Socks

Watch in Occupy, he is all mine honey.

November 14, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  11. Get Real

I'd be more interested in hearing what "Bob" Dobbs has to say on the matter than what this Bob Jones clown thinks.

November 14, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  12. Answer

History will prove that Obama is a christian if the US regains it's glory. The same history will ostracize him when he is blamed for it's failure. That is what a typical christian mentality is like. To claim credit for success and discredit those they see as not a part of their true clan.

Typical flip floppers.

November 14, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  13. Alex

Smelly Socks- why do i get the feeling that IRL they call you "Smelly Sandusky"....?

November 14, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
    • Occupy Belief Blog

Wow, you are a real sick puppy. It is not my fault you are pre-occupied with my buttocks.

November 14, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
    • Answer

Alex is just an oppressed christian. All his rights are being stripped from him. It's that so real attempt to place blame or offload to anybody they see. Part of the "find an enemy" to blame syndrome.

November 14, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
    • Occupy Belief Blog

Answer, I agree with you, but why the disdain for delicious crab meat? It is wrong!

November 14, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
    • Answer

I have no idea why he hates crabs either. They're delicious!

I can see from his posts that he exhibits extreme hate towards the current president of your nation though. Placing all the blame on him solely. He obviously hasn't lived in the past with George W.

November 14, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
    • THE BIBLE IS GARBAGE

DRUG ADDICTED LIBERAL HIPPIES HAVE BEEN BLAMING BUSH FOR ALL OF THEIR PROBLEMS. NOW THAT WE HAVE A DONG IN OFFICE THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE YOUR PERSONAL JESUS AND HE HASN'T DONE ANYTHING BUT MAKE THINGS WORSE WHY DO YOU HIPPIES KEEP BLAMING BUSH? CLINTON IS HEAVILY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE HOUSING MARKET DUMP. BUSH CONTINUED A LIBERAL POLICY ON THAT ONE. BUSH LIKED TO BAIL BIG COMPANIES OUT, AND OBAMA CONTINUED THAT POLICY. MAYBE ONE OF THESE DAYS SOME OF YOU WILL FINALLY FIGURE OUT THAT THESE PARTIES ARE ALL THE SAME. THEY ALL LOVE MONEY. AS LONG AS NO ONE TOUCHES THEIR MONEY, THEY'RE HAPPY TO TELL YOU WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO WITH YOURS. REPUBLICAN, DEMOCRAT, BOTH PARTIES ARE COMPRISED OF IDIOTS THAT THINK THEY KNOW WHAT'S IN THE BEST INTEREST OF THE MORON STANDING NEXT TO THEM. IT'S AS POINTLESS AS THAT COUNTRY LINE DANCING CRAP THOSE PEOPLE FROM THE SOUTH LIKE SO MUCH. CONGRATULATIONS.

November 14, 2011 at 11:54 pm |
    • Passive Agressive

Garbage guy, turn off your caps lock please. Clinton was an outstanding president. And Obama inheretied 8 years of Dubya stupidity. Dems are smarter than the GOP. I know it hurts but it is true.

November 15, 2011 at 12:18 am |
    • THE BIBLE IS GARBAGE

HOW DOES IT HURT? BOTH PARTIES ARE STUPID. REPUBLICANS ARE JUST IDIOTS, BUT THEY DON'T CARE THAT THEY'RE IDIOTS. DEMOCRATS ARE SO FOCUSED ON APPEARING EDUCATED THAT THEY DON'T HAVE TIME TO FOCUS ON FIXING ANYTHING. CLINTON APPEARED OUTSTANDING FOR TWO REASONS. ONE, HE KNEW HOW TO TALK. TWO, HE PUSHED POLICY THAT WOULDN'T CRASH UNTIL AFTER HE LEFT OFFICE. THE THING THAT GAVE AWAY JUST HOW TERRIBLE HE WAS THOUGH, WAS HIS TASTE IN WOMEN.

November 15, 2011 at 12:26 am |
    • Passive Agressive

Garbage, I can't take you seriously. Turn off your caps lock dork.

November 15, 2011 at 12:36 am |
  14. Occupy Belief Blog

I am not leaving.

November 14, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
    • hippypoet

LOL

November 14, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  15. Alex

"Smelly Socks"- To an extent, yes I am. Science has recently proven that consuming crabs, or shrimp can be detrimental to your health, due to the fact that they are bottom feeders- much like men who lust after other men's rears! Perhaps that is why they were regarded as abominations. what a coincidence! Is that the response you were looing for?

November 14, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
    • Smelly Socks

The rear is the best part sweety.

November 14, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
    • Occupy Belief Blog

Alex, regarded as abominations by who? You?

November 14, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
    • Stan

Alex is a closet bottom feeder. It's OK, Alex. You can come out. We won't tell anyone. Really.

November 15, 2011 at 1:47 am |
    • tallulah13

Shellfish carry a lot of bacteria. That's one of the reasons they cause allergic reactions.

November 15, 2011 at 1:57 am |
  16. Passive Aggressive

Comment 7

November 14, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  17. hippypoet

his religion doesn't matter unless it dictates his decisions. GET OVER IT PEOPLE... that only folks that care of those who are delusional anyway.

November 14, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Speaking of delusional...

November 14, 2011 at 11:34 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Not my post, hippy. I went to bed at 10 last night. herbie the t urd is demonstrating his true character.

November 15, 2011 at 7:43 am |
  18. Smelly Socks

Alex, don't duck the question! Why are you prejudiced against crabs?

November 14, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  19. Martin

There is nothing wrong with people voting for people who share their beliefs.. it is not racist or bigoted.. it is common sense!
    I think a lot of people began to question Obamas faith when they heard the insane rantings of Rev. Wright, whom Obama eventually had to renounce.
    I think Obama does agree with much of what Rev. Wright has said, and will return to such a church after his 1st term (when he loses the election and goes back to Chicago)

November 14, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
    • mre

voting for people who share your beliefs is absolutely NOT common sense you idiot

November 15, 2011 at 12:10 am |
    • heliocracy

Reverend Wright was making a political argument. Somehow you nutjobs have confused Christianity with patriotism, and think that no true Christian would question or criticize America. You have no understanding of religion or history, yet you all go around voting like you do, and think we're all crazy for not agreeing with you. It's a sure sign of insanity.

November 15, 2011 at 2:28 am |
  20. Passive Aggressive

Well I certainly hope he is NOT a Christian. I doubt if he is too, he seems too intelligent. I have always said if you want to be the president and you are not a Christian you have to lie. Catch 22. Obama 2012!!

November 14, 2011 at 9:50 pm |
    • Alex

Spoken like a true Obama supporter. I have nothing else to say, good day sir.

November 14, 2011 at 9:57 pm |
    • Passive Aggressive

You didn't say anything that time, so if you did say something then it would be the first time you said something.

November 14, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
    • THE BIBLE IS GARBAGE

BEING WELL-SPOKEN DOES NOT DENOTE INTELLIGENCE. IT JUST MEANS HE CAN MEMORIZE CRAP AND THEN PUMP THAT CRAP RIGHT BACK OUT OF HIS MOUTH.

November 14, 2011 at 11:42 pm |
    • Passive Agressive

Garbage, turn off your caps lock. You are silly.

November 15, 2011 at 12:41 am |