home
RSS
November 14th, 2011

Officials, Jewish leaders march after anti-Semitic incident

By Eric Marrapodi, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

(CNN) - Local officials and Jewish leaders took the streets in Midwood, Brooklyn, in New York on Sunday after cars were torched and anti-Semitic graffiti popped up in the neighborhood Friday.

The group marched along Ocean Parkway in the heavily populated Jewish neighborhood where three cars were set fire. Nearby was graffiti that said "KKK" and "SS" - shorthand for the Ku Klux Klan and the Nazi military group, CNN affiliate NY1 reported.

"I'm terribly hurt, I am terribly upset, I am terribly bothered," Brooklyn Assemblyman Dov Hikind told NY1.

During the march, Brooklyn state Sen. Eric Adams held up a white hood and told reporters, "This is a symbol the Klansmen represent. This is the symbol that is part of our dark history. That is not going to find a way in our future," NY1 reported.

"The police has to take notice, because it wasn't a long time ago that the world did not take notice of what was going on in Nazi Germany, and they allowed things to happen, discrimination against Jews," Brooklyn Assemblyman Joseph Lentol told NY1.

"And you know what happened to a religious community that was wiped out. This is the same kind of thing that is happening now," Lentol said.

New York City's Hate Crimes Task Force is "actively investigating the twisted person or people who attacked cars, benches, and a sidewalk on a block of Ocean Parkway early this morning," New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said in a statement released Friday.

Hate crimes are defined as criminal acts committed against those who belong to certain social, religious, ethnic or other group.

"The fact that this most recent attack came on the heels of the 73rd anniversary of Kristallnacht may or may not be a coincidence," Bloomberg said. "Either way, this kind of hateful act has no place in the freest city in the freest country in the world."

The infamous Kristallnacht attack in Germany occurred when Nazi-supported mobs attacked Jewish people and destroyed their property on November 9 and 10, 1938.

CNN's Kendall Green contributed to this report.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Belief • Judaism • Violence

1. Barby1

To the editor –please tell me your editing policy –considering I'm not calling anyone names. But I find that as a social conservative well-versed on se-uality issues, I can't get my comments on that topic printed.

I read Terms of Service and i am not in violation. I can get printed as long as i say nothing socially conservative or bible-based about se.x. Yet, this is a religious blog –and you are censoring out a bible-based, traditional Christian viewpoint.

November 15, 2011 at 11:44 am |
  2. Amalia Sheran Sharm

That's what happens when 4chan goes down.

November 15, 2011 at 7:08 am |
  3. Bo

TruthPrevails seems to have gone, but why would TP think we were past these days. The more godless society gets, the worse things will get.

November 14, 2011 at 11:50 pm |
    • mre

says one of the prlcks who are making teh world worse

November 15, 2011 at 12:33 am |
    • Joxer the Mighty

The world would get better if us Christians would stop being so judgemental and leave that up to God.

November 15, 2011 at 5:59 am |
    • Nonimus

hmm, yeah wish it were still those glorious dark ages when the church ruled.

November 16, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
  4. Enoch

In Europe anti-Semitic, anti-Jewish movement is growing fast and openly among Middle Eastern Arab refugees. Many Jews are leaving countries like Sweden and Norway. Somebody has to do something about this shameful situation.

November 14, 2011 at 11:47 pm |
  5. Jackson

How Many people think this may be Muslims. Not to jump the Gun But why would a supremacist live in the worlds biggest melting pot.They usually live in southern and middle/Mid Western America

November 14, 2011 at 11:36 pm |
    • Ali

Yeah no Racists live in new York. And if a muslim did it what do u call him?

November 15, 2011 at 1:55 am |
  6. hippypoet

wow, thank you for that mr. angry person...i was gunna try to be more , ummm, well nice - but that works too. 🙂

November 14, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
    • James

I'm from the streets man. G G G G G G-Unit

November 14, 2011 at 11:39 pm |
  7. Passive Aggressive

Comment 50

November 14, 2011 at 9:43 pm |
  8. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

This article is funny.

November 14, 2011 at 9:30 pm |
    • Angus, Angus, the bagpiper's son

So are you.

November 15, 2011 at 7:47 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Wow, herbie, I must have really whupped your azz. You're still sore.

November 15, 2011 at 8:36 am |
    • Angus, Angus, the bagpiper's son

Who?

November 15, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
  9. Vern Ackular

I like to play with little boys.

November 14, 2011 at 8:56 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You and herbie should get together. Oh, wait. You're one and the same.

November 15, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
  10. James

November 14, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
  11. James

Do You Jew!

November 14, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
  12. David Johnson

Consider that racism has grown bolder, since the Tea Party formed. The Tea Party is the Christian Right.

The following is from an article in Wikipedia on the Christian Right:

"The conclusions of a review of 112 studies on Christian faith and ethnic prejudice were summarised by a later study as being that "white Protestants associated with groups possessing fundamentalist belief systems are generally more prejudiced than members of nonfundamentalist groups, with unchurched whites exhibiting least prejudice."[61]

The original review found that its conclusions held "regardless of when the studies were conducted, from whom the data came, the region where the data were collected, or the type of prejudice studied."[62]

A number of prominent members of the Christian right, including Jerry Falwell and Rousas John Rushdoony, have in the past supported segregation, with Falwell arguing in a 1958 sermon that integration will lead to the destruction of the white race.[64][65] He later claimed he changed his views.[66]

In Thy Kingdom Come, Randall Balmer recounts comments that Paul M. Weyrich, who he describes as "one of the architects of the Religious Right in the late 1970s", made at a conference, sponsored by a Religious Right organization, that they both attended in Washington in 1990:[67]

“ In the course of one of the sessions, Weyrich tried to make a point to his Religious Right brethren (no women attended the conference, as I recall). Let's remember, he said animatedly, that the Religious Right did not come together in response to the Roe decision. No, Weyrich insisted, what got us going as a political movement was the attempt on the part of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to rescind the tax-exempt status of Bob Jones University because of its racially discriminatory policies. ”
    Bob Jones University had policies that refused black students enrollment until 1971,and admitted only married blacks from 1971 to 1975.

In an interview with The Politico, University of Virginia theologian Charles Marsh, author of Wayward Christian Soldiers and the son of a Southern Baptist minister, stated:[68]
    “ As someone who grew up in Mississippi and Alabama during the civil rights movement, … my reading is that the conservative Christian movement never was able to distinguish itself from the segregationist movement, and that is one of the reasons I find so much of the rhetoric familiar — and unsettling.
    By the end of the civil rights movement, the way was set for this marriage of the Republican Party and conservative Christians. … At the Neshoba County Fair in Mississippi in 1980, (Ronald) Reagan's statement "I am for states' rights" was a remarkable moment in the conservative South. The Southern way of life was affirmed and then deftly grafted into national conservative politics. ”

Remember this, from the Washington Post?

'Tea party' protesters accused of spitting on lawmaker, using slurs

'Tea party' takes health-care protest to the Hill
    Hundreds of conservative activists gather outside the U.S. Capitol to protest health-care legislation, which is approaching a final vote in the House this week.
    By Paul Kane
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Saturday, March 20, 2010; 10:25 PM

"Members of the Congressional Black Caucus said that racial epithets were hurled at them Saturday by angry protesters who had gathered at the Capitol to protest health-care legislation, and one congressman said he was spit upon."

Vote for the Dems. The Tea Party and their puppet the Republican party are racists.

Cheers!

November 14, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

Wikipedia? Accusations without evidence? David...you are so much better than this drivel you are citing.
      And to paint nearly half of the nation as racists is pure foolishness. I will hope this is a fake David.

Cheers

November 14, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
    • Jon M, SD

Good post, Dave!
      Too bad there's always some idiot like Uncouth Swain around. His parents should have been sterilized, I guess.

November 14, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
    • ItnlPol101

The Nazis practiced the occult and believed that mythology was factual history. Why would you equate the Christian right with hate-spewing neo-Nazis? Before the end of WWII, the Nazis had begun the extermination of Christians, mostly Catholics within their own country. Actually, neo-Nazism has been gaining popularity in Germany and northern Europe for over 20 years now. I DON'T think the Tea Party exists in Germany...

November 14, 2011 at 9:07 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

"The Nazis practiced the occult and believed that mythology was factual history."
      Speaking in tongues, ceremonial cannibalism, demi-god worship, personal entreaties to supernatural beings.
      Global floods, parting of the seas, 6,000 year old planet, passing through a whale's digestive tract unscathed.

One thing that many Christians and Nazis have in common is a hatred of atheists.
      "We have undertaken the fight against the atheistic movement, and that not merely with a few theoretical declarations: we have stamped it out".
      The Speeches of Adolf Hitler, April 1922-August 1939, Vol. 1 of 2, Oxford University Press, 1942

November 15, 2011 at 8:57 am |
    • IntlPol101

Doc, personally I don't hate anyone, including atheists (but did you notice that my comment was concerning the Tea Party?). Following in the steps of Jesus requires tolerance, compassion, prayers, and gentle guidance for all of mankind. Jude :22-23- "Be merciful to those who doubt, and of some have compassion, making a difference; and others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire."

November 15, 2011 at 11:04 am |
    • HotAirAce

There is a high correlation between being a Tea Bagger and being a right-wing religious nut. Given this, I suggest the 'Baggers also share believing mythology is factual history with the Nazis.

November 15, 2011 at 11:17 am |
  13. Vern Ackular

Here's what probably happened: A guy gets mad at another guy who happens to be Jewish. Lacking other options for "payback" the injured party grabs a paint can and sprays KKK, etc. in the other guy's neighborhood.
    Not a hate crime as described in the statutes, but a individual hating another individual who happens to belong to a certain group that is easily attacked while using little or no imagination.
    One person can put up a lot of graffiti from one can of spraypaint. There do not seem to be any indications that this grafitti was put up by more than one person. One whacko lashes out and the Jewish community sees this as a golden opportunity to march in the streets.
    How easy it is to troll Jews, even in these modern times. They are quite stupid for responding so wildly to a single spray-paint troll who probably was just going for shock value or to freak out a personal enemy who just happened to be a Jew. Sad.
    When they want respect, they'll have to earn it. They haven't done so in thousands of years.
    Insular, introverted, myopic cultures like Jewish culture, Ja-panese culture, etc. are known for the natural effects of such points of view: bigotry against any outside the group.
    Jews just have a much better funded and supported propaganda organization. They can scream "anti-Semitic!" and be heard while quashing any remonstrations and denying the free speech of opposing viewpoints. They've got the buck$ and their victims don't.
    I don't like double-standards. Too many people want things both ways when they get all the benefits and desire to escape accountability for their crimes. Not just Jews. This is a systemic problem throughout the world.
    But one troll with a can of spray-paint just plays into their hands? Please.

November 14, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
    • John Richardson

I've had arguments with individual Jews and it has never once occurred to me to go spray painting anti-semitic graffiti all over anyone's neighborhood. Yeesh. If your story really makes sense to you, that tells us a lot about you – though not much more than the rest of your diatribe does anyway.

November 14, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
    • Vern Ackular

Hey, JohnR, you must be the unimaginative sort.
      Any passive-aggressive response like what I put forth as a POSSIBILITY is well within the range of possible responses. I have had personal enemies, who, if they had been Jewish, I certainly would have entertained such a silly response in my frustrated list of optional responses. I have had some really nasty and pathetic enemies and no way of fighting back against what they did to me and my family. Spray painting would have at least made me feel like I was doing something.
      When you are a victim and cannot fight back openly, then what are your options? Not many.
      Maybe you need to get out more and meet more crappy people who will do bad things to you where you cannot respond or even seek justice. You must live in a little plastic bubble or something. Geez.

November 14, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
    • Norman

Vernacular: I don't think I've ever had any enemies. I don't know many people that make enemies. Where did yours come from and what did they do to you and family? Is that why you're here?

November 14, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
    • Vern Ackular

Norman, if you'd like an enemy, I am free all week. Is there something I can do to you to make you understand? No?
      Some people are just dense.
      Like you.

November 14, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
    • Norman

We can be friends. Your real name would be a start. Have you been banned recently?

November 14, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
    • Norman

Would it bother you if I was a Jew?

November 14, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
    • Vern Ackular

Norman, it wouldn't bother me if you were a polka-dotted tentacled alien.
      If you say you've never had an enemy, I can only wag my head at your naivete and ignorance.
      Or perhaps you're the one who's actually living in a plastic bubble?
      Get out much? Or do you spend all your time trolling on the internet?

November 14, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
    • Norman

Actually I'm in a profession that requires me to be level-headed about racism, bigotry, and all of those things. Because of it I do get out quite a lot. I recognize you, Vernacular.

November 14, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
    • Vern Ackular

Hey, that's great!
      Your profession of being a dimwit is surely a successful one. Mazel Tov!

November 14, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
    • Norman

May it be a blessing.

November 14, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
    • Vern Ackular

So, Norman, how's the world treating you these days?

November 14, 2011 at 6:59 pm |
    • Vern Ackular

I should say that every profession should be level-headed about bigotry, etc., yet none of them are....so what is this "profession" of yours? Lawyer for the ACLU? No? Do tell.

November 14, 2011 at 7:16 pm |
    • John Richardson

You have issues, Vern. By damaging the property of people who are not part of your dispute and dragging race, religion and ethnicity in it to boot, you would hope to accomplish exactly what?

November 14, 2011 at 7:32 pm |
    • Vern Ackular

Please, JohnR, you are suffering from a common blog malady: misreading what I said.
      Considering that I would not do any such thing, but only consider it as a ridiculous possibility, I am not willing to do it in actuality.
      So your rant against me falls a bit short there.
      The FBI, who investigate most hate crimes, would not rule out any possibility, even the relatively mild and all-too-human possible scenarios I touched upon in my posts, without good reason to do so.
      How stupid would you feel if it turned out that it happened just as I said it might have? Are you an FBI agent assigned to the case? Do you have all the evidence and know the rules of evidence and proper investigative techniques?
      When you can rule out what I said, then you can complain about my list of possible answers as to how this particular bunch of graffiti got plastered around.
      Really, did you think I'd do this sort of thing? I wouldn't without a dam good reason.
      Since I was trying to imagine how such a criminal might come to doing such a stupid thing, I tried to make that clear, but you flew right past that and think that I'm some sort of super-criminal because I was talking about possibilities and how some people can react in such a way.
      I have no idea who did this, but it'll probably be someone lacking good judgement, like a teenager looking for shock value and who wants to troll the Jewish community.
      JohnR, you are missing what I said and are only skimming my posts. Pi.ss off.

November 14, 2011 at 7:57 pm |
    • John Richardson

Funny, Vern, I could have sworn you said: "Any passive-aggressive response like what I put forth as a POSSIBILITY is well within the range of possible responses. I have had personal enemies, who, if they had been Jewish, I certainly would have entertained such a silly response in my frustrated list of optional responses. I have had some really nasty and pathetic enemies and no way of fighting back against what they did to me and my family. Spray painting would have at least made me feel like I was doing something"

Besides, I stick to my original position: Anyone who thinks that the scenario you depicted is "what probably happened" (your words again!) is thinking in ways that most people thankfully don't.

November 14, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
    • Vern Ackular

So what part of "pi.ss off" didn't you get?

See how you suck? Quit talking to me you idiot. You quote me and then turn around and castigate me for having a good imagination. Well, all I can say is that you apparently prefer to live in denial. Unimaginative denial at that.
      Never felt like harming another person, eh? What a crock of shiit. It's normal human psychology.
      I didn't even touch upon the abnormal psychology that might be behind the graffiti.
      In considering possibilities, I guess you are pretty narrow-minded and unimaginative.
      Enjoy your plastic bubble while you PlSS OFF!

November 14, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
    • Truth

"I have had some really nasty and pathetic enemies and no way of fighting back against what they did to me and my family." What's this all about @Vern Ackular?

November 15, 2011 at 4:51 am |
    • Chad

Vern Ackular "Jewish community sees this as a golden opportunity to march in the streets.
      And ironic. The Jewish community is not known for being level-headed about racism, bigotry, or any of those things. Jewish-based bigotry and racism is well-known and anecdotal. They can dish it out but they can't take it."

You are an anti-semite and on the wrong side or right. Your invective throughout and acknowledgement of "enemies" says a lot about who you are. Do you really want to go through life like this?

November 15, 2011 at 8:37 am |
  14. Norman

I hope this isn't brought back to the occupy wall street movement. Look at the grief Steve Israel has taken over the rantings of a few people of the same stripe as the ones who committed these acts.

November 14, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  15. Snow

well thats good ol christian love for ya.. preaching love thy neighbor at its best..

November 14, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
  16. William Demuth

Dozens of black children die in those areas every year and not a word is said.

Such a tragedy that so many want to play the victim, that the ACTUAL victims are never given a second thought.

If this is placed in contexts of the dead and injured that are routine in my native home, then Brooklyn needs to be ashamed.

November 14, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
  17. IntlPol101

What a sad day for the Jewish people and this immoral nation. Such a vile, evil attack. My thoughts and prayers are with those in that NY community.

November 14, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

It is a very sad day when humanity takes it upon themselves to treat each other like this. This immorality is world wide unfortunately!

November 14, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
  18. Moshe Pitt

Am I the only one who thinks these bits of graffiti were deliberately put there by a Jew to further their melodramatic "victim"-hood so they can keep banging the drums while continuing to discriminate against non-Jews?

November 14, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
    • Chuckles

Yes, yes you are.

November 14, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

I agree with Chuckles!

November 14, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • Tim PA

Nope. Sorry, Chuckles.

November 14, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
    • John Richardson

It wouldn't be the first time, but usually such fake hate crimes are limited to one spot. You'd look quite the idiot wandering around town, putting anti-semitic graffiti on various people's cars while wearing your prayer shawl, eh? I'm betting on the usual teenage or very young adult male morons who probably don't even quite know what the KKK or SS even are.

November 14, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
    • Chuckles

Well apprently ignorance breeds if more than one person would really think that a jew would deface and destroy their own neighborhood and instill fear in their own community just to play the "victim card" for.....what exactly?

Moshe, Tim, please actually learn about judaism and the sad history before you as.sume that all jews want to do is be persecuted and have a "victim" card to play.

November 14, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
    • Vern Ackular

Yes, how dare you think that Jews are anything but upstanding pillars of the community! Shame!

November 14, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
    • John Richardson

Hate crime fraud exists. Sometimes it's done for political reasons. Sometimes it's done as part of a larger insurance fraud scheme. Especially in the latter case but also in the former, however, it's not typical for whole neighborhoods to be targeted in fraudulent cases, as that is (a) a lot riskier than doing something to your own property both in terms of getting caught in the first place as well as the penalties you will incur, (b) makes you at most part of something apparently bigger and denies the fraudster of the unique victimhood they seek and (c) in the case of insurance fraud, involves damaging things you can't collect on. It can never be dismissed out of hand that a given case may involve fraud, but to actually allege it in the absence of any evidence given how many non-fraudulent hate crimes take place does strike one as irresponsible.

November 14, 2011 at 7:40 pm |
    • Chad

@John Richardson "It wouldn't be the first time [a person faked an anti-Semitic crime]"

=>I tried to find an example, all I found was a few sites accusing Jews of calling any opposition to Zionist activities "anit-Semitism", and a lot of sites denying that the holocaust ever happened..

which one were you referring to?

November 15, 2011 at 8:54 am |
    • John Richardson

I said hate crime fraud exists. I don't have a particular example of an alleged hate crime directed at Jews being proven fraudulent and didn't say I did. But yes, there have been cases of people painting hate symbols on their homes and then burning it down to collect on insurance. That has happened, but it is rare and their are certain telltale signs that tend to be associated with them. Meanwhile, hate crimes that are not fraudulent are not rare at all, sad to say.

November 15, 2011 at 9:21 am |
    • John Richardson

But note again in these cases that the people targeted themselves and their own property or some one specific other person.

November 15, 2011 at 9:34 am |
    • Chad

@John Richardson "It wasn't hard to find several cases of fraudulent hate crimes involving charges of antisemitism: http://blockyourid.com/~gbpprorg/judicial-inc/1k_hate_hoaxes_hurt_jewish_credibil.htm"

=>ok, fair enough. It has happened but it is extremely rare. The part I didnt like(and am not necessarily accusing you of) is that every time there is an anti-semitic crime, so many folks immediately rail against jews for "making something out of nothing" or "always playing the victim card".

Jews are unique in their position as targets of hate crimes. We cant forget that we just watched while 6 million were killed.

November 15, 2011 at 11:48 am |
    • John Richardson

I agree, Chad! I knew of prior hate crime frauds. So I wasn't sanguine with the "nuh uh, could never ever be" from some. But I'm 99.99% convinced that this case was indeed a hate crime and there is no doubt that there are vastly more true hate crimes, especially against Jews, than fraudulent ones. I tried to get both those sentiments into all my posts on the matter.

November 15, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • Nonimus

@Chad,
      "Jews are unique in their position as targets of hate crimes."
      I agree that Jews are in a unique position. The stats in another article on hate crime back that up, too. "In 2010, the number of anti-Jewish incidents reported in the United States totaled 887 of roughly 1,300 cases in which a religion was targeted." (http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/11/15/hate-crime-numbers-steady-fbi-reports/comment-page-1/#comment-820029)

Although, I'm not sure what you mean by, "We cant forget that we just watched while 6 million were killed."
      I don't know what you were doing but much of the world was fighting to stop those atrocities. Not that I was doing anything, not being born yet.

November 15, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
    • Chuckles

@Nonimus

Hel.l must have frozen over because I actually agree with chad. It's nice to think that America and the Allies were fighting to stop the atrocities that Hitler was committing, the sad reality however is that America had definite knowledge about what was happening in Germany and Poland and didn't do anything, neither did Russia or Britain. When America reluctantly enterered the war, they focused on stopping Hitler but did not target any of the routes being used to ship jews to any of the camps or anything that would necessarily stop it from happening.

November 15, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
    • Nonimus

Repost from earlier misposting:

@Chuckles,
      Perhaps I am mistaken, but my understanding is that, while there were special groups killing Jews, and others, in areas just after an area was invaded, beginning in 1939, the first extermination camp started operations in late 1941, Chelmno, I think. So the Allies were hardly "just watch[ing] while 6 million [Jews] were killed." France and Britain were already in the war, and the US was supplying them. Late '41, of course, the US joined the war as well. Obviously, there were many abuses and crimes committed before that time, as far back as the early 30's I think, but not "...while 6 million were killed."

How much the Allies knew about the exterminations and what they did to stop it, other than fighting Germany in general, I suppose may be debated, but I hardly think that a description of, "just watched while 6 million were killed," fits the facts. For most of it they were fighting a war, how is that nothing?

November 15, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply

November 15, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
    • Chad

Found this, which corresponds to my understanding based on my reading of several histories of that time period, namely that we more or less just ignored it in a somewhat vain attempt to stay out of WWII.
      I say "we ignored it" because I believe humanity shares responsibility for it. I doubt any of us, placed in that situation, having just finished WWI, would have done much different.

"Question: Did the Allies and the people in the Free World know about the events going on in Europe?
      Answer: The various steps taken by the Nazis prior to the "Final Solution" were all taken publicly and were, therefore, reported in the press. Foreign correspondents commented on all the major anti-Jewish actions taken by the Nazis in Germany, Austria, and Czechoslovakia prior to World War II. Once the war began, obtaining information became more difficult, but reports, nonetheless, were published regarding the fate of the Jews. Thus, although the Nazis did not publicize the "Final Solution," less than one year after the systematic murder of the Jews was initiated, details began to filter out to the West. The first report which spoke of a plan for the mass murder of Jews was smuggled out of Poland by the Bund (a Jewish socialist political organization) and reached England in the spring of 1942. The details of this report reached the Allies from Vatican sources as well as from informants in Switzerland and the Polish underground. (Jan Karski, an emissary of the Polish underground, personally met with Franklin Roosevelt and British Foreign Minister Anthony Eden). Eventually, the American Government confirmed the reports to Jewish leaders in late November 1942. They were publicized immediately thereafter. While the details were neither complete nor wholly accurate, the Allies were aware of most of what the Germans had done to the Jews at a relatively early date."

November 15, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
    • Chuckles

@Nonimus

Yes and no. The German government was carrying out killing operations in the mid-1930's it wasn't until they perfected the art of killing efficiently large quant.it.ies of people until around 1941 before the US joined the war. Also keep in mind the US joined because we were attacked by Ja.pan and although we supplied and helped the allies in Europe and were key to victory over the Germans, our main goal was revenge on the j.apanese, our objectives didn't exactly have "save jews" at the top of the list. There's also one incre.dibly famous instance where a group of jewish refug.ees made it on a boat and arrived at E.llis Island, but without proper entry or docu.mentation were refused entry into the US and had to be sent back to Europe where they were later all rounded up (having been caught in Vi.chy France) and sent to camps. There was also the fact that there was 4 years where we waged war in Europe upon entry into WWII and did not bomb train tracks, camps or send liberation teams imemdiately to these camps even after for sure knowing what was happening. One can argue we did not know the extent, but the US, Allies and every day citizenry might not have "sat" around necessarily, but 6 million died in large part because their lives were much lower on the objec.tives list.

November 15, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
    • Nonimus

@Chad and @Chuckles,
      You both make valid points about who knew what and when and I'll admit that I am not a WWII expert, but again saying that we, the world, did nothing but watch while 6 million Jews were killed, is misleading.

@Chad,
      Your point that the Allies knew about the situation, is true to an extent, but your quote has dates of 1942, after the US and the Allies were already fully in the war. So they apparently they weren't doing nothing while aware of what was going on. They were fighting the very country that was committing those atrocities.

@Chuckles,
      You may have valid points about the motivations of US entry into WWII and perhaps "save the Jews" wasn't the war cry of the Allies, but the end result is that the US and the Allies <i>were</i> in the war to stop the Nazis from carrying out there plans. You can debate whether or not the Allies did the *right things* *fast enough* but that is a strategy discussion. Perhaps the Allies didn't have the resources to both liberate prisoner's behind enemy lines and at the same time run the largest military campaign ever in the history of the world. Additionally, perhaps they were aware of the situation but not the true extent; saving 10's of people a day versus saving 1000's of people a day might change the strategy drastically. However, that is just second guessing the strategy not debating their ultimate goal, to defeat Germany which, I hope you will agree, was the only way to be sure that they stopped killing Jews (and others).

Finally, all this discussion misses the point that the Nazis fully intended to eliminate all Jews in Europe, not to mention the world if they could take it.
      And why exactly didn't that happen?
      Perhaps the Allies could have done more or done it faster, but they did do something and it is a huge misunderstanding of the war to say,
      "6 million died in large part because their lives were much lower on the objec.tives list."

Around 10 to 11 million civilians died (6 million of them Jews) in large part <b>because the Nazis killed them!</b>
      How many did not die because the Allies won?

November 15, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
    • Nonimus

Sorry, my formatting didn't work.

Around 10 to 11 million civilians died (6 million of them Jews) in large part... BECAUSE THE NAZIS KILLED THEM!!!

November 15, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
    • Nonimus

p.p.s.
      "(6 million of them Jews)"
      Should read:
      (6 million, of those killed, being Jewish)

[is it 'being Jews' or 'being Jewish', not sure which is correct.]

November 15, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
    • Angie

You need to read In the Garden of Beasts and you will see very clearly that the American Government knew what Hitler's plans were before they began and did nothing and didn't even care. It is sickening.

November 16, 2011 at 7:03 am |
  19. eyesopened

the poet speaks the truth,the word of God says judge not lest thou be judged, this dynamic works in and on your life whether you believe in God or not . We as humans are ALL ignorant or as dumb as sheep. The sooner we as so called christians realize that we are the furthist thing from perfect or special the better God so loved the world people, that being said the love part thats His department, and if we would know this 1st part we would examine our own life as we know it and not others, that we can recieve those promises in His word that this may speak louder than words. We are all sinners that being said why would God treat jews any different,

November 14, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
    • Nonimus

"The sooner we as so called christians realize that we are ..."
      Did you read the article?
      "We" are not Christians (especially the Jews that this act was targeted at). We are Americans.

November 14, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
  20. hippypoet

people are so fuking ignorant! If you have to right to hate they have the right to not... they leave you alone, leave them the fuk alone!!!!! godd-amn sometimes i just hate people, we can be so vile!

November 14, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • Ed

its rare that we agree but when your right your right

November 14, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

I thought we were long past these days. How sadly wrong I was/am. Humanity disgusts me sometimes. As an Atheist, I would never dream of being so cruel to people but then again I don't see where this type of action resolves anything.

November 14, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
    • fred

November 14, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
    • hippypoet

oh fred... are you in fear of words? do words inspire fear for you? which words do you most fear? i type like i choose to, and i speak as equal as i type...with p@ssion, heartfelt feeling and i you could say hand pick my words... and i do it very carefully too! I feel bad for you, you didn't even post on this article but instead chose to comment on my post and insult me...now thats the act of a child. Be away with you child.

November 14, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
    • Vern Ackular

Yeah, fred, pi.ss off.

November 14, 2011 at 7:10 pm |
    • Smelly Socks

fuk you fred you god dam idiiot.

November 14, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Look at all the whining, angry children. Only an idiot would name it's stupid child rynn.

November 14, 2011 at 9:29 pm |
    • angry person

such a complete dic you are yoda tells me – also you su-ck your mothers teat...i'm talking to you fake tom tom! fakers nothing prosper and cheaters never win, or is it cheaters not prosper and fakers never win...oh fuk it, you just su-ck at life and need to compensate by attempting to belittle people, yet its funny because you do succeed but only at belittling yourself – good stuff!

November 14, 2011 at 10:20 pm |

hippypoet

wow, thank you for that mr. angry person...i was gunna try to be more , ummm, well nice – but that works too.

November 14, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
    • Get Real

Hang tough, hippypoet,

(I can imagine the one that stings the most is the one picking on your child - "Rynn" is a perfectly lovely name, and that poster can just ooze on down the trail)

November 14, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What a hoot. My little sycophant can't figure out the difference between "it's" and "its".

Nice try, herbie. Too bad you're such a buffoon.

November 15, 2011 at 8:38 am |
    • David Johnson

@fred

You said: "Ignorance is the inability to post without cursing like a child that never gets his way. Grow up."

I sometimes include profanity in my posts. Never curses. Curses, like prayers, do not work. Nothing exists to administer the curse.

Cheers!