home
RSS
November 15th, 2011

Belief Blog's Morning Speed Read for Tuesday, November 15

Here's the Belief Blog’s morning rundown of the top faith-angle stories from around the United States and around the world. Click the headlines for the full stories.

From the Blog:

CNN: Bob Jones III becomes latest Christian leader to challenge Obama’s Christianity.
Bob Jones III, chancellor of the fundamentalist South Carolina University that bears his family’s name, has become the latest conservative Christian leader to publicly cast doubt on President Barack Obama’s stated Christian commitment.

CNN: Officials, Jewish leader march after anti-Semitic incident
Local officials and Jewish leaders took the streets in Midwood, Brooklyn, in New York on Sunday after cars were torched and anti-Semitic graffiti popped up in the neighborhood Friday.

Must Watch Video from CNN: Big changes are coming to the Catholic Mass on Thanksgiving weekend as the church enters the liturgical season of advent. CNN reports.

@CNNBelief’s follow of the day: @jaweedkaleem, a religion reporter for Huffington Post that comes with a breadth of knowledge and large number of Tweeps.

Enlightening Reads:

New York Times: Jamestown Thought to Yield Ruins of Oldest U.S. Protestant Church
For more than a decade, the marshy island in Virginia where British colonists landed in 1607 has yielded uncounted surprises. And yet William M. Kelso’s voice still brims with excitement as he plants his feet atop a long-buried discovery at the settlement’s heart: what he believes are the nation’s oldest remains of a Protestant church.

USA Today: Bishops offer Penn State help to prevent abuse
If all the institutions that work with children– from schools to Scouts to sports leagues - want to stand together to prevent child abuse, the Catholic Church would "exuberantly welcome" the chance to join in "a major national educational campaign" to prevent abuse, the leader of the American bishops said Monday.

Quote of the Day:

And truth is, those who speak in the name of god - as a third generation preacher claims to, have a higher responsibility to be careful - to lead by example - to set a civil tone for our public discourse - or, to put it more succinctly, to be Christian.

CNN Anchor John King dedicated his “Truth” segment to the comments Bob Jones III made about President Obama’s faith. In short, said King, no matter what your faith, it is important to treat others the way you would like to be treated.

Today’s Opinion:

Sojourners: Love and Marriage: A Kardashian Cautionary Tale
Even though few of us have squandered millions on a marriage that disintegrated in a matter of weeks, we all can learn some lessons about what it means to love well from Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries.

Join the conversation…
Stephen Prothero, a Boston University religion scholar, writes that reactions to Joe Paterno’s firing and Herman Cain’s alleged sexual harassment point to a "not-so-Christian nation." Over 2,000 comments so far...

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Uncategorized

1. resultselection results

Hello There. I found your blog the usage of msn. This is a really well written article. I'll make sure to bookmark it and come back to learn extra of your useful info. Thank you for the post. I'll certainly return.

October 28, 2012 at 6:07 pm |
  2. Sohbet Odalari

Thank you, I have recently been looking for info about this topic for a while and yours is the best I've came upon till now. But, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you sure in regards to the source?|What i do not understood is in fact how you're not actually much more neatly-preferred than you might be now. You are very intelligent.

September 6, 2012 at 9:45 am |
  3. rubbish collectino blog

I am no longer certain where you're getting your info, however good topic. I must spend a while learning much more or understanding more. Thank you for fantastic information I was in search of this info for my mission.

August 31, 2012 at 4:52 am |
  4. social presence

Great submit, very informative. I'm wondering why the other experts of this sector do not realize this. You must proceed your writing. I'm confident, you've a great readers' base already!|What's Going down i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It positively useful and it has helped me out loads. I'm hoping to give a contribution & aid different customers like its helped me. Good job.

August 15, 2012 at 7:39 am |
  5. best proxy

I'm extremely inspired with your writing abilities and also with the format to your weblog. Is this a paid subject matter or did you modify it your self? Anyway keep up the excellent high quality writing, it's uncommon to peer a great weblog like this one today..

August 10, 2012 at 8:09 pm |
  6. pantufla termica

It's in reality a nice and helpful piece of information. I'm glad that you simply shared this useful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

August 10, 2012 at 11:28 am |
  7. garden clearance company blog

You can definitely see your expertise in the paintings you write. The world hopes for even more passionate writers like you who aren't afraid to say how they believe. Always go after your heart.

August 4, 2012 at 7:13 pm |
  8. plumber

It's perfect time to make a few plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have learn this post and if I may just I wish to recommend you few attention-grabbing issues or suggestions. Maybe you could write subsequent articles referring to this article. I wish to read more issues approximately it!

July 31, 2012 at 7:05 pm |
  9. vintage kleding

Thank you a lot for sharing this with all folks you actually recognise what you're speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally visit my site =). We can have a link trade arrangement among us

July 29, 2012 at 4:51 am |
  10. New Updates to our Product Catalogue

I do believe all the ideas you have presented to your post. They're really convincing and can definitely work. Still, the posts are too short for starters. Could you please lengthen them a bit from next time? Thank you for the post.

July 14, 2012 at 2:52 pm |

12. hi

hello

June 27, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
    • clown question bro

momma

June 27, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
    • href="http://Website" rel="external nofollow" class="url">clown question bro

lol

June 27, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
    • [link=http://website newwindow]Answers[/link]

489

June 27, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
  13. Someone Else

The sheer arrogance of the Catholics thinking they can "step in" and help "fix" the problems at Penn State is one of the most disgustingly galling things I have read today.
    Known pedophiles "offering to help" in a pedophile investigation is just one of the most pathetic and disgusting things I have ever heard of in my life.
    The Catholic Church needs to be obliterated and destroyed. They keep asking for it. Let's give it to them.

November 15, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  14. Bo

@Brad, Frankly, I know nothing about Bob Jones III, but evidenty you know something about him. since your opinion is that his religion isystem is insular, and you go on to say that he believes Catholics are anti-Christ; could you clearify what you mean, or what he may believe?

November 15, 2011 at 11:33 am |
    • Brad

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/anti-catholic-whoppers – can't find the tract The Church of Rome in Perspective, so no primary source material, sorry.

November 15, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
  15. theoldadam

When He showed up here 2,000 years ago...they put Him to death.

Today, we are still putting Him to death.

_________________________________________

But He still loves us and wants us.

What an awesome God we have!

November 15, 2011 at 10:43 am |
    • hippypoet

which god... you need to be direct in your words... there happens to be more then one dude who has the t!itle god, i know... it can get confusing.

November 15, 2011 at 10:51 am |
    • Bob

And he'll torture you painfully forever if you so much as put a foot wrong in your short mortal life or even doubt his existence.

No thanks. You can keep your evil jerk of a god and the rest of your Christian fairy tales. To yourself. Quietly, please.

November 15, 2011 at 10:51 am |
    • Martin

@ Bob: In a free society, you may from time to time encounter people who have beliefs different from yours. It is not your place or right to tell them to "Keep it to themselves"

This seems to be the default position of atheists on this board. God forbid that they should get any authority... .."Line up the train cars for the christians (Like Stalin did) so we don't have to listen to them!!!"

November 15, 2011 at 7:17 pm |
  16. Brad

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." Matthew 7:12 This ethical concept of reciprocity is presented by most every religion that puts forward a system of ethics. John King cites it in reference to statements by Bob Jones III regarding Obama's claim to being Christian. Certainly if Bob Jones III wants to scrutinize Obama on faith, he is inviting us to have a close look at him. He's a strange man, known not long ago for banning interracial dating at BJU. He was not exactly in line with Paul's teachings: "There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." Moreover, his belief system is quite insular – he has held the belief that Catholics are anti-Christ, or followers of the Anti-Christ.
    The integrity of Obama's walk in faith is less questionable than his detractor's. Obama has confessed the Christian faith and has said "When I wake in the morning, I wait on the Lord, I ask him to give me the strength to do right by our country and our people." Also saying, "And when I go to bed at night, I wait on the Lord and I ask him to forgive me my sins and to look after my family and to make me an instrument of the Lord." I'll take him at his word.

November 15, 2011 at 10:00 am |
  17. Bo

I have a hard time believing the Kardashian marraige wasn't a money making scheme from the begining, at any rate, it wasn't based on true love.

November 15, 2011 at 9:56 am |
  18. hippypoet

my quote is better – war is hell, the last thing i want is a fight! Ace Ventura, pet defective, when nature calls... hehe

November 15, 2011 at 9:54 am |
  19. Bo

Reply to quote for the day; It is only by faith and the grace of God that we can live a Christian life, there is nothing good in and as of ourselves. "The heart is deceitful above all things and desperataly wicket: who can know it?

November 15, 2011 at 9:50 am |
    • Bob

Ah, that Christian guilt trip. You love to wallow in it.

November 15, 2011 at 10:53 am |
    • Brad

There is good news: "If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:8-9

November 15, 2011 at 11:19 am |
    • Bob

And here's some more good news: God will torture you painfully forever if you so much as doubt his existence.

November 15, 2011 at 12:55 pm |
    • Princess Leia

There goes Bo again, accusing that adorable little Ewok, Wicket, of being desperate...

November 15, 2011 at 1:05 pm |
    • hippypoet

i am very sorry... but wicket and star wars have little to do with eachother – one if a saga while the other is the butt of sci-fi jokes... however i do enjoy "Ewoks, battle for Endor." just i have always wondered what those creatures are, not the ewoks but the tall ugly things that shot at them. And we all know that super speedy ewok is a coke head!

November 15, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
    • Martin

Bob:
      People go to hell because they prefer darkness to light: If you loved righteousness, you would love Jesus Christ:

John 3:19 This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. 21But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God.”h

November 15, 2011 at 7:25 pm |