home
RSS
On Sunday, Catholic Mass won't sound the same
Rev. Benny George is a associate pastor at St. Francis Xavier Parish in Burbank, California.
November 26th, 2011

On Sunday, Catholic Mass won't sound the same

By Jim Roope, CNN Radio National Correspondent

(CNN)–If you’re Catholic, mass this Sunday will sound different for  the first time in nearly half a century.

You’ll hear it in the prayers of both the people and the priests.

“We have come back to a more accurate translation of the Latin from the Roman Missal,” said Fr. Rick Hilgartner, executive director of the Divine Office of Worship for the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. “The language of prayer should be evocative, speaking in terms of imagery and metaphor.”

The changes are enormous, said Fr. Richard Albarano, of St. Francis Xavier Church in Burbank, California, and should help the 280 million English-speaking Catholics grow in their  love for the mass. “The mass is the center of our lives,” said Albarano.

Not since the Second Vatican Council in 1965 have such sweeping changes been made.

The Vatican II changes were radical – the priest spoke in English instead of Latin and he faced the people instead of having his back to them. An Old Testament reading was also added to the mass, a surprise to many who thought of the Catholic Church as a New Testament only church.

Other changes, large and small, were designed by Pope John XXIII to get the people (and not just the priest) involved in the mass. But the changes were not communicated in advance. People showed up one Sunday morning, and it was all changed.

“They wondered if they were even in a Catholic church,” said Albarano.

This time, the Catholic Church has been talking about the changes, and communicating them to parishes, since 2000. For the past three months, many parishes have been working to ready their followers for the changes in the wording of the prayers.

That doesn’t mean some won’t be caught by surprise. “It’s going to be like Vatican II all over again,” Albarano said. “I haven’t heard much about catechizing across the Los Angeles Archdiocese at all. We said we were going to do it. I hope we did.”

To hear the complete story, click the audio player.

- CNN

Filed under: Catholic Church • Mass

soundoff (1,372 Responses)
  1. Colin

For those who keep saying that "faith" is enough to found a belief, I would like to point something out. You see, I believe in Leprechauns.

I believe that the Leprechaun King created the entire Universe about 6,000 years ago. I know there is a substantial amount of evidence suggesting that the Universe is significantly older than this, but I think a lot of that evidence comes from bad science, or from a worldwide conspiracy of scientists who want to deny Leprechauns. I know this because it is written in the Leprechaun Chronicles, a book cobbled together from various authors, most unknown, by our church during the Dark Ages.

The Leprechaun King lives in Leprechaun Heaven, where he where he busies himself answering prayers, running the Universe and recording the lives of humans for their final judgment before him. He is surrounded by an entire society of magical beings – his son Merlin, the Holy Leprechaun Spirit, the good fairy Mary, thousands of Leprechaun saints, fairies, pixies and the souls of many millions of dead people.

Each Leprechaun saint and pixie has a special task. For example, Saint Christopher is the patron-pixie of travelers and it is his job to intercede with the Leprechaun king on behalf of travelers to keep them safe. Most countries and professions similarly have a special Leprechaun who pays them special attention – even lawyers. There are strict rules governing the roles, responsibilities of the various Leprechauns, elves, pixies and other heavenly beings.

I believe that the Leprechaun King loves me and hears my prayers. He intervenes in my life periodically by saving me from various ills. All I have to do is think to myself and he reads my mind and answers my prayers. He loves me and when I die, provided I have lived a good life, I will go to Leprechaun Heaven, where I will live happily ever after with all other humans who have ever led good lives.

I know there is not a lot of evidence to support my beliefs, but that is just the point. The Leprechaun King wants us to have “faith,” so he never reveals himself. To make an unambiguous appearance and settle once and for all the question of his existence would deprive us of free will and, even though he is all-knowing, he would not know who his true believers were.

In fact, I believe that the Leprechaun King is “beyond understanding”. He is “outside the Universe” and any time I am faced with something about my Leprechaun belief that makes no sense, I don’t dare question it, I just close my mind and tell myself that my mind is too small to understand the greatness of the Leprechaun King. These answers are satisfying to me.

Some people are called “atheists,” and they are skeptical of my belief in the Leprechaun King. They point out many inherent contradictions and unsupported assumptions that underwrite my belief in Leprechauns. But, they can’t prove he doesn’t exist, so he must exist. And so what! Even if I am wrong, and go my whole life believing in Leprechauns and it turns out I am wrong, I have lost nothing. However, if they are wrong, the Leprechaun King will send them to hell to burn forever in the presence of the Evil Ground Troll.

Am I convincing you to believe in Leprechauns yet? Does my faith in Leprechauns make them real?

When you reflect on why you still do not believe in leprechauns, you will understand why I do not believe in the Christian god.

November 26, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
    • Eric Stoner

3=>. Oh, sorry. I forgot about your "treatments." 3==>

November 26, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
    • Ed - Spring, TX

OK. So what. If you want to ignore thousands of years worth of writings, history, and teachings it's your choice, It's a free country.

November 26, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
    • Pula

Dude, nobody cares *what* you believe.

November 26, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
    • Mack

Dude, I now believe in Leprechauns. This thing's got legs...we'll make millions!!

November 26, 2011 at 7:44 pm |
    • Mack

@Ed, thousands of years of writings, teachings, and history mean nothing. The bible was written a minimum of 50 years AFTER christ and there are NO other books that recount his life. You're good with that? Chips are cashed in? Game's over? 2/3 of the rest of the planet are dead wrong because they haven't done the research you've done? Really?

November 26, 2011 at 7:46 pm |
    • tallulah13

Ed, were you aware that hinduism is older than judaism? Were you aware that there are thousands of years of writings by the ancient Egyptians about their own pantheon? The fact that you want to believe something doesn't make it true.

November 26, 2011 at 7:55 pm |
  2. Obynno

Why so much hatred against the Catholic church.....why ......the catholic church has preached and lived out love why the hatred. The catholic church has always stood for the truth....why the hatred. Because the catholic church which is the visible and mystical body of Christ founded on Peter by Jesus Christ himself is both human and Divine, sometimes the human face manifest more than the Divine. Most of the time in history the Divine had always shine out.......Friends don t condemned what you don t understand....make inquires, don t hate simply becos you don t belong.....Respect what others value...ok

November 26, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

CATHOLIC TRADITION – Call priests father, e.g., Father McKinley.

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS –

Matthew 23:9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

November 26, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

CATHOLIC TRADITION – Mary is the queen of heaven.

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS – Worshipping the queen of heaven (which is not the Mary of the Bible) is worshipping another god and it provokes the Lord to anger.

November 26, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

CATHOLIC TRADITION – Mary is the mother of God.

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS – Mary is the mother of the earthly Jesus, not God. Jesus pre- existed from everlasting as God (see John 1:1). When He came to redeem mankind, He laid aside His glory and was made like unto sinful man so that He could take our punishment (Hebrew 2:9). God has no mother. He has lived from everlasting which means He had no beginning.

November 26, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Oh wait, that is not why there is hatred, it is because the church is a bloated criminal organization full of pedophiles and dogma that drags us back to the dark ages. Enough of you creeps.

November 26, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
    • Eric Stoner

You were doing so well until "Oh wait". Then your objectivity said "see ya!" and you went back into idiot-mode.

Oh well. Nice try.

November 26, 2011 at 6:22 pm |

@Eric
      No silly, I was doing poorly until I got back to Reality mode.

November 26, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
    • gerald

Ungodly, So elizabeth was wrong when she said "how is it that the MOTHER OF MY LORD should come to me"? Jesus was Lord because he was God, hence Mary is the Mother of God.

November 26, 2011 at 7:03 pm |

Gerald,
      I don't believe in God. Why are you making this argument with me. That is dumb.

November 26, 2011 at 7:16 pm |
  3. Capercorn

Isn't ironic how Atheists spend more time fussing about religion than religious people do?

November 26, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
    • David G.

Isn't ironic that no one cares?

November 26, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • Capercorn

Oh, but they should. The sociologists should look into it.

November 26, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
    • Manuel J.

@ Dave G. You only put emphasis on the point being made. You ARE a jerk.

November 26, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Well, I gotta sorta disagree. There are persons of Faith that almost get into fist fights of the interpretation of a scripture during a Bible study but, at the same time there are extremist on the Atheist side that are just as determined to voice their views as well.

In the end, both sides have their Colins and their HeavenSents. 🙂

November 26, 2011 at 6:04 pm |
  4. Ehovahjay

November 26, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
  5. Ehovahjay

Eyakay organmay ollectscay istoricalhay artifactsway - abrahamway incoln'slay atchway, arilynmay onroe'smay essdray. Ishay orkway elpedhay imhay ecomebay iendsfray ithway eoplepay angingray omfray ichaelmay acksonjay otay ethay idowway ofway eelay arveyhay oswaldway.

November 26, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
  6. ChrkeePrde

Y_ou only know what the Catholic Church is until you're in it ... everything else you hear is just plain dumb attacks and rumor spreading thickheaded generalist_s.

November 26, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
    • Ehovahjay

Ouy_ay onlyway owknay atwhay ethay atholiccay urchchay isway untilway you'reway inway itway ... Everythingway elseway youway earhay isway ustjay ainplay umbday attacksway andway umorray eadingspray ickheadedthay eneralist_sgay.

November 26, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
  7. Victor

So when is the Catholic and Christian community going to go back to the language of Jesus? What we have now is a interpretation of a translation of a translation of an interpretation translated from and translation written by unknown authors given the names John, Luke, Paul, and Mark.

November 26, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
    • Peter

Catholicv Church speaks a dead language because the Church is dying. You move forward, idiots, not backwards!

November 26, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Another Athiest posted a link that showed that the Catholics are still growing but not at the same rate. But growth does not equal dying.

November 26, 2011 at 6:48 pm |
  8. Eli

My wife and I are conservative Republicans in our 40's who were born, raised and educated in the Catholic faith. However, we know longer attend mass because the Church failed to deal honestly with the sins (felonies) that were perpetuated by many of its priests and covered up by the bishops. And so many of our family and friends from similar backgrounds have made the same decision to leave the Church. The Church continues to cover up these tragedies. There are numerous cases that are pending and under litigation. Big law firms continue to make huge sums of money (parishoner donations) defending these pedophiles and the bishops who are deeply involved in the cover it up.

But the Catholic Church in America does not care that my wife and I have left, nor does it care that millions of other Americans similar to us have left. The Church has made a strategic decision to invest its resources (our money)
    in the illegal immigration community, a desperate people needing the Church's services and willing to look the way other in exchange.

November 26, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
    • News Flash

50 % of those Americans who identify themselves as Catholic do not go to Mass each wee, and 60-70% of American Catholic women use birth control. That should tell you something.

November 26, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
    • Ehovahjay

Myay ifeway andway iway areway onservativecay epublicansray inway ourway 40'say owhay ereway ornbay, aisedray andway educatedway inway ethay atholiccay aithfay. Oweverhay, eway owknay ongerlay attendway assmay ecausebay ethay urchchay ailedfay otay ealday onestlyhay ithway ethay inssay elonies)(fay atthay ereway erpetuatedpay byay anymay ofway itsway iestspray andway overedcay upway byay ethay ishopsbay. Andway osay anymay ofway ourway amilyfay andway iendsfray omfray imilarsay ackgroundsbay avehay ademay ethay amesay ecisionday otay eavelay ethay urchchay. Ethay urchchay ontinuescay otay overcay upway esethay agediestray. Erethay areway umerousnay asescay atthay areway endingpay andway underway itigationlay. Igbay awlay irmsfay ontinuecay otay akemay ugehay umssay ofway oneymay arishoner(pay onations)day efendingday esethay edophilespay andway ethay ishopsbay owhay areway eeplyday involvedway inway ethay overcay itway up. butway ethay atholiccay urchchay inway americaway oesday otnay arecay atthay myay ifeway andway iway avehay eftlay, ornay oesday itway arecay atthay illionsmay ofway otherway americansway imilarsay otay usway avehay eftlay. Ethay urchchay ashay ademay away ategicstray ecisionday otay investway itsway esourcesray our(ay oney) inmay ethay illegalway immigrationway ommunitycay, away esperateday eoplepay eedingnay ethay urch'schay ervicessay andway illingway otay ooklay ethay ayway otherway inway exchangeway.

November 26, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
    • pk

i am thankful for people like you. i do not understand why others don't do likewise. thank you for saying so perfectly what i was thinking as soon as i read the headline.

November 26, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
    • Guest

This reminds me of a comparison of Martin Luther and St. Francis of Assisi. They both saw the imperfections of the church yet, they dealt with them in different ways. Martin Luther washed his hands of the church, broke his vows and started a new religion. In the course of which, he took the bible that was passed down by the Catholic Church, and removed the parts he didn't like. Including the book of revelations until the people caused such an uproar, it was put back in later. (This always made me wonder, who gave him the authority to edit the bible to suit his own purposes?) And then you compare St. Francis of Assisi who stayed with the church, with all of it's imperfections and worked all his life to rebuild it and overcome the imperfections. Which one would you consider the most devoted to God? Who would you want as an example? The church has made mistakes, some monumental mistakes which no one can deny. But do we wash our hands of it or do we stick with it and fix the problems and return the church to where it should be? Think about it, it's really an easy answer.

November 26, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
    • News Flash

Well since the Roman Church VOTED on what belonged in the bible, (in NON-UNANIMOUS votes), I guess anyone should feel free to decide what belongs in it or not.

November 26, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
    • Manuel J.

@ Eli. Like yourself, I don't condone what has occurred. In fact, those who are guilty (i.e. perpetrators and collaborators) should be hung.

That said, my faith is with God and not the "administration" in the Church. It is Jesus' teachings that I try to emulate and not those of a person.

My displeasure is "voiced" by eliminating my monetary support to anything not going directly to those in need (i.e. the poor).

November 26, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
    • Peter

Hear , hear!

November 26, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
    • HeIsGod

Hello Eli,

Sorry to hear that you left the church, which honestly, I don't blame you. I believe that the Lord is exposing the evil deeds that many churches are doing. I hope that many will open up their eyes, but most of all, allow the Lord direct them to a church where the Word of God is preached at it's best so he/she can know of God, learn of God, and give back unto others.

The problem with mankind is that they have put their eyes on men and have taken it off on God, who is the Author and the Finisher of our faith. God said to put your trust in "NO" man, for it is a dangerous trap. I pray that you be not discourage and seek a Non-denominational Christian Church that isn't religious, but has a RELATIONSHIP with God, through Christ Jesus.

God bless you and your family.

November 26, 2011 at 6:12 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

Kudos for making that decision. Thank you for sharing that and in my opinion, doing the right thing...obviously you have a conscience and a heart.

November 26, 2011 at 6:18 pm |

RIGHT ON ELI.

November 26, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
    • Eric Stoner

Agree. Eli made an excellent synopsis of organized Catholicism.

November 26, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
    • Obynno

You and your wife must realized that God, though perfect chose imperfect people to dispense of his grace and mercy. I am sure if you and your wife were there when Peter denied Jesus three times, you would definitely not have anything to do with Peter. If you and your wife were there when Thomas rejected the evidence of the resurrection, you will definitely not have anything to do with Thomas. I am sure that if you and your wife were there when Saul went on rampage killing Christians, you will definitely not have anything to do with Paul......The list is endless. When one truely worships God one marvels more on the greatness of God mercy than on the weakness of his ministers. I am sure that whenever you are sincerely ready to worship God, the weakness of his minister can never be an obstacle. The abuse of a thing does not destroy its use. God is still doing his work of salvation and sanctification in the Catholic Church. May the good Lord who came for sinners [including Priests abusers] help you to realized that if not for his grace, you and your wife may also be abusers.

November 26, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
  9. Toni Fisher

Because you don't believe in God does not change the fact that God exists. God will give you lots of time to believe in Him either in this life or in death when you meet Him face to face – just you and Him.

November 26, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

Wow, I would for once like to see that claim back with actual proof based on the scientific method...care to provide this for us? How are you so certain that you are right and everyone else is wrong?

November 26, 2011 at 6:15 pm |

@Toni
      Because you believe in God does not change the fact that God does not exist.

November 26, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  10. Muneef

My best wish's to all those who believe in GOD the Creator of Universe...As a Muslim I convey my best of wish's,regards and respects to all Catholics and Christians for their past Thanks Givings and their upcoming X,Mass Celibrations and Holidays...

To me the Infidels are only those who have no belief in GOD,Angels,Holy Books & his Messangers....it is only because of them the whole world is suffering since they only worship wealth living their life as 'Leafs On The Wind'...

November 26, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
    • Colin

Yes Muneef, yo uare right. I so often hear of atheists strappin suicide vests to themselves and running into mosques and churches screaming "Darwin al-akbur, Darwin a- akbur".

PS: Any women get stoned by an atheist today?

November 26, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
    • little billy

why doesn't god love those who dont praise him? why is the creator so insecure? seven billion people currently living in the world and he needs constant appraisal?

November 26, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
    • Muneef

Haha very funny and I honestly like your sense of humor...but is that all Islam is meaning to you? Well Islam is not that at all and never it said it is correct to do so...what you are experiencing is that some religious leaders are taking advantage of the ignorance of the unfortunate,desperate and less knowledgeable one's to serve their political interests under the name of religion.... Religion is about recognizing and worshipping GOD and is not about killing the innocents and self...

November 26, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
    • Muneef

We were created only to worship GOD otherwise there was no reason for us at all to be created...nor did our creation made any good to earth,universe nor to each other as human beings...

November 26, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Muneef, you are a simple person and that is fine, but when you start calling me an infidel then you become a jerk and you deserve all you get dirt bag. Go throw some acid on a young girl because she read a book or exposed an ankle. Fuk you.

November 26, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
    • Manuel J.

@ Collin. I've not heard of any woman getting stoned by an atheist but atheists and those not heeding God are murdering millions of the unborn every day.

November 26, 2011 at 6:12 pm |
    • Muneef

Excuse me with out swearing being rude... But isn't the word infidel means a disbeliever?? If it is so then where did I go wrong? Now about acid throwing or these acts taken into hand by individuals are considered as crimes for which they should pay... As well practices carried out by religious courts in 3 world countries are much far away from true Islamic corrections of society and modern age... I wonder if we could find such acts carried out in Islamic Arabic countries ??am sure you will find more of such acts at non Arabic Islamic countries although Islam,Quran started from the Arabian Peninsular !! There are exaggerations carried out In the name of Islam which am sure is not of Islam of the Quran... Any way it is not right to judge all for the wrong understanding and practices of some...
      Thank you and exude me time for my sleep "Good Night".

November 26, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

@Colin: Oh how you've been missed!! Hope you had a wonderful holiday. Cheers 🙂

November 26, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
    • Muneef

Manual

I think Colin says it is OK to throw bombs on innocent people houses and invade their countries,killing them by the masses but it is too deadly wrong to express their rejection by the simple means they have available...!?!

November 26, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
    • Colin

Truth Prevails – thanks man. I've been overseas. Merry Xmas to you, too.

November 26, 2011 at 6:30 pm |

Muneef,
      Infidel means not believing in one’s own religion. You just told all the Christians and Jews how much you loved them, but they are also infidels. Why do you single out all others as infidels but not them? And by singling out a group of people to hate, you are prejudice and a bigot. That is where you went wrong dumb- as s.

Naturally you went to run off and hide.

November 26, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
    • HotAirAce

@Manuel J

Get your facts straight – at least for the USA, the vast majority of abortions (70+%) are had by believers. If you delusional believers want to signfiicantly reduce the number of abortions in the USA, all you have to do is follow your own cult's rules, instead of being incredible, but consistent, hypocrites. When the number of abortions had by believers is zero, you can resume preaching – until then, shut the fuck up!

November 26, 2011 at 7:09 pm |
    • Muneef

UD.
      You know what I feel no hate towards any party..my only wish is that all to recognize GOD...but as can see that believers are being discriminated,hated for their faith and believe..!
      You can't runaway from your self...

November 27, 2011 at 8:45 am |
  11. hayzeus

I heard they are going to have wide screen tvs showing football games to get people back to church

November 26, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
    • Michae l J.

You're a moron.

November 26, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
    • ChrkeePrde

You only know what the Catholic Church is until you're in it ... everything else you hear is just plain dumb attacks and rumor spreading thickheaded generalists.

November 26, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
    • Will S

This article is about the Catholic church, not your local evangelical megachurch.

November 26, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
  12. Mark Debur

I became a Catholic a couple years ago while studying at the University of Toronto: and am excited to embrace this new mass.

May the peace of Chirst be with you all!

November 26, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
    • *frank*

Who's Chirst? And what species of maniac would be excited to embrace this new mass? Do you have disordered and racing thoughts frequently?

November 26, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
  13. MichaelinPa.

I am very familiar with the email alerts that go out on atheists and anti-Catholic groups bulletin boards and forums to have them all appear online on a certain web site to post their venom against Jesus ,the Catholic church and any church in general . I am just curious , what happened in your life to turn you against God,the creator of all things? I would like to understand what formulated your ideas and concepts. How can you generalize all religions to say they are for people who believe in mythology.I just want to say that Jesus loves you all and I hope you will see the light here on Earth before Jesus calls you home so that you can see his eternal light and live within it and all the joy that can not even be described here when he he calls you home.

November 26, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
    • News Flash

We don't "hate" a nothing. There is no god. One cannot hate what does not exist. Your Jesus exists only in your head. There is absolutely no evidence that "he" exists anywhere else.

November 26, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
    • Nicole

Apparently I am out of the loop. I just opened CNN.com and saw this and thought "wow, they're changing mass?" clicked and read. I need to find these atheist e-mail lists I suppose!

Oh, and my atheism, alas, has nothing to do with you. It has to do with a journey spanning two decades where I became disillusioned with religion and began to see how utterly ridiculous the concept of God was (and is). I couldn't be a theist at this point even if I wanted to be. I am still fascinated by religion, culture, and ritual so unfortunately I will continue to read these articles. And occasionally reading a comment like yours and feeling compelled to respond!

November 26, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
    • Kev

well if for one believe Jesus was a real person and he did spread goodness but that's all. He was not the son of God just a good person that spread Ideals like Buddha

November 26, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

Honestly, I started questioning things when my life fell apart after my wonderful christian mother fell ill and suffered 7 long years of cancer. I'm not getting in to my life story but my mother was the greatest person I knew...she would do anything for anyone and was a regular church goer...in her final year she would walk the beach and pray...I don't deny her to this day of finding solace in that. So that started it. I moved around a lot in the 7 years after that, explored numerous places and had a blast. Part of that exploring was the chance to get to know many many people...so many different sets of beliefs and mindsets-good and bad, and it all started to fall apart there...no more belief in a god. I believed there might be something there but to pinpoint what it might be was impossible. Even when I stopped believing in the god you believe in, I still followed some customs...my youngest daughter was very ill and I had the only officiant available-a Catholic priest at a Childrens Hospital christen her. Anyways, some more crap happened and while picking up the pieces of my life, I happened to start to realize that it no longer made sense to me. I took a 2 year sabbatical and got my life together with a wonderful man who has not once tried to dictate my life or tell me how to live it...he is my best friend...now he was already a decided Atheist...he's been blamed before for me being an Atheist but I was already a fence sitter when we met...he just introduced me to a whole other realm of information...this is my choice and I'm extremely content with it. I personally understand why people grasp on to their beliefs. I don't agree with you and I ask for proof. My biggest issue is that I firmly believe it needs to be kept out of the public and out of our government...no-one ever agrees on who has the right answer as to which god is right. Worship as you wish in church and the comfort but your own home and come here and openly debate but please understand that as much as you have the right to believe, I also have the right not to and to constantly question the things I'm not sure and that is where it falls apart...the bible apparently provides all those answer...I don't see life as being that easy. But it works me. I'll never know if I'm right in the end, so I live for the now.

November 26, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
  14. Colin

Dear Catholics:

God here.

First, I do not exist. The concept of a 13,700,00,000 year old being, capable of creating the entire Universe and its billions of galaxies, monitoring simultaneously the thoughts and actions of the 7 billion human beings on this planet is ludicrous.

Second, if I did, I would have left you a book a little more consistent, timeless and independently verifiable than the collection of Iron Age Middle Eastern mythology you call the Bible. Hell, I bet you cannot tell me one thing about any of its authors or how and why it was edited over the Centuries, yet you cite them for the most extraordinary of claims.

Thirdly, when I sent my “son” (whatever that means, given that I am god and do not mate) to Earth, he would have visited the Chinese, Ja.panese, Europeans, Russians, sub-Saharan Africans, Australian Aboriginals, Mongolians, Polynesians, Micronesians, Indonesians and native Americans, not just a few Jews. He would also have exhibited a knowledge of something outside of the Iron Age Middle East.

Fourthly, I would not spend my time hiding, refusing to give any tangible evidence of my existence, and then punish those who are smart enough to draw the natural conclusion that I do not exist by burning them forever. That would make no sense to me, given that I am the one who withheld all evidence of my existence in the first place.

Fifth, I would not care who you do or how you “do it”. I really wouldn’t. This would be of no interest to me, given that I can create Universes. Oh, the egos.

Sixth, I would have smited all evangelicals and fundamentalists long before this. You people drive me nuts. You are so small minded and yet you speak with such false authority. Many of you still believe in the talking snake nonsense from Genesis. I would kill all of you for that alone and burn you for an afternoon (burning forever is way too barbaric for me to even contemplate).

Seventh, the whole idea of members of one species on one planet surviving their own physical deaths to “be with me” is utter, mind-numbing nonsense. Grow up. You will die. Get over it. I did. Hell, at least you had a life. I never even existed in the first place.

Eighth, I do not read your minds, or “hear your prayers” as you euphemistically call it. There are 7 billion of you. Even if only 10% prayed once a day, that is 700,000,000 prayers. This works out at 8,000 prayers a second – every second of every day. Meanwhile I have to process the 100,000 of you who die every day between heaven and hell. Dwell on the sheer absurdity of that for a moment.

Finally, the only reason you even consider believing in me is because of where you were born. Had you been born in India, you would likely believe in the Hindu gods, if born in Tibet, you would be a Buddhist. Every culture that has ever existed has had its own god(s) and they always seem to favor that particular culture, its hopes, dreams and prejudices. What, do you think we all exist? If not, why only yours?

Look, let’s be honest with ourselves. There is no god. Believing in me was fine when you thought the World was young, flat and simple. Now we know how enormous, old and complex the Universe is.

Move on – get over me. I did.

God

November 26, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
    • Michae l J.

You're an even bigger moron.

November 26, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
    • Colin

Michae l J. So what point of mine do you disagree wtih – or is it just the fact that I had the audacity to say it?

November 26, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
    • Norman

This is something new. Messiah-envy.

November 26, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
    • Capercorn

Nice copypasta thar.

November 26, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
    • Colin

Capercorn. Really? From where?

November 26, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
    • Capercorn

Internet Law: As the length of a wall of text increases, the probability of said wall being a copypasta approaches one.

November 26, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
    • Capercorn

And if you did write it, all it proves is that you're a neckbearded loser.

So, if I were you, I would claim copypasta.

November 26, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
    • Faith

Colin
      Surely God wouldn't say any of that....He loves us all to much. Plus if you think about it our lives are so jam packed with things to do every second of every day. We manage just fine....why couldnt God with all those prayers? Time might be different to God than it is to us.
      Plus how can you prove God doesnt exist? to me its been easier to prove God does exist than doesn't......but to each their own. it comes down to faith. Guess when we die is when we will truly know huh?

God Bless

November 26, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
    • misha

I'd like to hear this answer !

November 26, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
    • cdad

this is brilliant!!! THANK YOU

November 26, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • Colin

Capercorn – oh I wrote it. I wish I could get an articulate response from a Catholic, but unfortunately, all I ever get is various adumbrations of "how dare you say that" or "you are going to hell." It seems that most Catholics are better at insults than rational discourse.

November 26, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • Colin

Misha -50 years older than it is now (about 13.7 billion years) if one accepts that time commenced in the big bang.

November 26, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
    • Capercorn

What, all you posted were a bunch of appeals to ridicule. That's a logical fallacy.

So, I respond with even further ridicule.

So, you admitted to writing it. By extension, you have just admitted to not having a life.

November 26, 2011 at 6:02 pm |

@faith
      How can you prove a unicorn doesn't exist? Great logic.

November 26, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
    • x-Catholic

I love it. Thanks God/Colin!

November 26, 2011 at 6:12 pm |
    • Reason

Great post, Colin. Few christians realize they are also atheists to all other world religions they have rejected in favor of their own.

November 26, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
    • Will S

First, I do not exist. ...That's an assumption on your part, isn't it?

Second, if I did, ...so which is it, does he exist or not? You don't seem to be so sure of yourself.

Thirdly, when I sent my ...which is why the Bible was written and distributed. Had to start somewhere.

Fourthly, I would not spend my time hiding, ...and that would defeat the point of faith.

Fifth, I would not care who you do or how you ...and established natural laws.

Sixth, I would have smited all evangelicals and fundamentalists ...which doesn't include most Catholics (and Protestants). Nice attempt at a Straw Man, though.

Seventh, the whole idea of members of one species on one planet surviving their own physical deaths ...Well, humans *are* special. I don't see bacteria, pigs, or snakes on these message boards...oh wait a minute, maybe that isn't the best example...

Eighth, I do not read your minds, ...well, he *did* design and build it.

Finally, the only reason you even consider believing in me is because of where you were born ...Really? There are Christians in every country. See point 3.

...I bet I spent a lot less time dismantling your rant than you spent assembling it. Try a logic class at your local college's philosophy department, you might benefit.

November 26, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
    • Logic

If you have somebody (in the case of Colin's letter, God) saying that he does not exist, then he must exist.

November 26, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
    • Manuel J.

Colin, you are a sad individual. I say this because you are going out of your way to ridicule people for their beliefs.

What harm have they done to you? Did they hurt you personally? What act was done to cause you and others to voice such hatred? If you don't believe in God, then don't read the article. Otherwise, you are just displaying how sad your life is.

November 26, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
    • Colin

Manual J – Not believing in the Christian god does not make me sad. Why is it so many christians think that a rejection of the supernatural elements of Christian theology must come from some personality defect or moral shortcoming?

November 26, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
    • Umm...take a logic class

Your first statement is "God here." Then you go on to say that "God doesn't exist". You invalidate most of your arguments below by writing from a God perspective.

Furthermore, God DOES exist. What? Oh my gosh! This must be proven. The simple fact that we can speak of God, argue about God, and so forth proves the existence of God. Now whether you believe God is a supreme being, a fictional character holding prominence in a genre of writing labeled "Religious", or fictional being created to manipulate certain behaviors like Santa, the Toothfairy, and such is up to you. God DOES exist, even if it is only as an idea.

November 26, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

Colin, Colin, Colin: Don't leave again...you are a breath of fresh air.

@misha you said
      "You of course are assuming 14 billion years for the age of the universe... let me ask you a question.. what do you think the age of the universe will be in 50 years from this point?"

What??? Really??? First of all there is no assumption to that fact...science has been able to provide accurate evidence to back this fact and if they discover in the future they were off, they'll admit it and we'll know!! As for the addition factor...you tell me brainiac what is 14 000 000 000 plus 50 to you? For anyone with a quarter brain, that would be 14 000 000 050...point is that you failed horribly in making your point. Care to try again without the use of your buybull...you need to provide proof that does not revolve back to scripture...thus it can't come from theists.

November 26, 2011 at 6:42 pm |
    • Colin

Ummm – it's called irony and sarcasm. That would be obvious to most readers. I am fine with your point that god exists as an abstract concept like the toothfairy.

November 26, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

Something similar to this argument was raised by a caller to this last weekends Atheist Experience TV show. Basically they tried to say that God either exists or he doesn't. The problem is that it isn’t a 50/50 proposition. I think the solution is more like this. The null position of “no God” is not only the default but also singular. The positive claim “God is” represents an entire range, I’d even go so far as to say an infinite range, of possible gods. Every possible god is equally non-falsifiable. Now the relationship in the logical equation becomes one over infinity or essentially zero. Now of course theists will claim that there is only one God but lack any means by which to differentiate their God from any other possible god.

November 26, 2011 at 6:44 pm |
    • Colin

Thanks TP. We are descending below 10,000 feet, so I will have to log off soon. Later, dude...

November 26, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
    • Manuel J.

Colin, I am not saying you are sad as in shedding tears. You are sad as in, find the need to demagogue and deride those of faith.

I suspect you do not contribute to your community or mankind. I doubt you donate to the poor, or volunteer time to a food kitchen, or mentor schoolchildren in Math, English, Science, etc.

In short, you lead a pitiful life (a.k.a. sad life).

November 26, 2011 at 6:51 pm |
    • x-Catholic

Manual J – I was raised very Catholic, and later as an adult, I realized that this stuff just didn't make sense so I stopped believing in all this nonsense and now sometimes for fun, I ridicule & satirize it when debating among friends. I also support my nephew financially and emotionally, I provide clothing for a poor friend's children, I donate clothes, money food, etc to the homeless, shelters, Boy Scouts, etc. Just because one enjoys sarcasm, irony, satire etc, and especially when it is applied to religion, does not mean they are "sad" and are a terrible person. It means one enjoys sarcasm, irony, satire, etc and one likes to poke fun of religion.

November 27, 2011 at 6:36 am |
  15. Christine

"The changes are enormous, said Fr. Richard Albarano, of St. Francis Xavier Church in Burbank, California, and should help the 280 million English-speaking Catholics grow in their love for the mass."

I don't see how this will happen when these masses will have NO CLUE what they are saying because they are saying it in language that is no longer used on a day to day basis. I say keep it simple. I feel more people will leave the dog and pony show of the Catholic church in favor of non-denominational Christianity.

November 26, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
    • Jason

Really?? the dog and pony show of the Catholic religion?? It's called tradition and ritual. Not like the dog and pony show of the hundreds of non-denominational "churches" that have sprouted up over the years with full live bands helping get everyone into a nice uproar. That's called motivational speaking, not religion.

November 26, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
    • Dave

Christine, the changes are still in English. Just a more faithful translation to the original latin as well as the words that the rest of the world uses in their own languages.

November 26, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
  16. The Dude

There may indeed be a God. I do not claim to know. But I can tell you I know for a fact he has nothing to do with the Roman Catholic Church or Jesus.

November 26, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

I agree with The Dude. Nor would this "God" or "Gods" (for lack of better terms) resemble anything that a simple human could comprehend. And then where did God come from, etc. The complexity and wierdness is exciting. No need for mythology.

November 26, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
    • Obynno

@ Dude you are so sure that God is not in the Catholic church.....welldone....clap for yourself. Anyway since you are too sure about that let s Catholocs be, don t comment on issues that does not concern you. The truth however remains that you lack knowledge of scripture and history. If you study your scripture and history and you don t have pride in you, you will become Catholic.

November 26, 2011 at 7:02 pm |
  17. AvdBerg

For a better understanding of the history of the Catholic Church and the spirit it serves, we invite you to read the articles
    'The Mystery Babylon' and 'Popes and the Princes of This World', listed on our website http://www.aworlddeceived.ca

All of the other pages and articles listed on our website explain how this whole world has been deceived as confirmed by the Word of God in Revelation 12:9. The Bible is true in all things and is the discerner of every thought and the intent of the heart (Hebrews 5:12). The truth is that the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned (1 Cor. 2:14). This is why we call all of mankind to repentance.

Seek, and ye shall find (Matthew 7:7).

November 26, 2011 at 5:26 pm |

Dal 20 : Mia 19

November 26, 2011 at 5:33 pm |
    • Norman

@AvdBerg

You always call on people to repentance. You keep saying people will not be able to understand you without repenting. WHAT exactly should we repent of and HOW?

November 26, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

And IF I repent whatever you seem to think I should, Avd, what guarantee do I have that what you have to say is worth reading? I haven't seen any indication that it is, thus far.

November 26, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
    • Obynno

{@ AvdBerg Half education they say is very dangerous, you quote the scripture to x ray your ignorance of the scripture. I will advice you to read scripture honestly and sincerely asking God to inspire you. If you sincerely seek God in the Scripture and History I am sure you will end up becoming Catholic. Anybody who sincerely and humbly seek God in the scripture and history ends up becoming part of Christ mystical and visible body....which is the Catholic church. The choice is yours to discover God in all humility in Scripture and History and follow the truth wherever it leads you or to continue wallowing in ignorance and perpetrating the hatred and attack on Christ mystical body by wolves in sheep clothing.

November 26, 2011 at 7:14 pm |
  18. endtime

Catholic "mass" has nothing to do with Jesus. Its all man made. Why would you spaek latin in the first place with your back turned to the people? That a red flag to start. The Holy Ghost needs to be allowed to have his way. Come out of her my people, and partake not of her plagues. Did the Catholic leaders tell you about this Bible verse.? How about "thou shall not make any graven image or bow down to it?"

November 26, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
    • Mark Debur

Uupwards of 80% of the language in the mass is direct quotations taken from scripture.

November 26, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
    • gerald

Clearly you have never been to a mass. As stated below. It is mostly directly from scripture and Jesus is central too it. You clearly believe the old wives tales of protestantism. Did you also know that up until the printing press latin was the language of reading and writing. Those who could read and write wrote and read latin. There were not bibles in other languages primarily because there just weren't many bibles. They had to be hand copied. Your post lacks historical perspective. Read Henry Graham's "where we got the Bible" and have your eyes opened to your lack of historic understanding. Those who are shallow in history are protestants. To become deep in history is to become Catholic.

November 26, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
    • Guest

You asked "Did the Catholic leaders tell you about this Bible verse.? How about "thou shall not make any graven image or bow down to it?" ,,,, Actually, yes they did. Many times. But apparently you didn't continue reading this commandment. It reads "thou shall not make any graven image or bow down AND WORSHIP IT". Can't you read the full verse? Why don't you read the bible yourself?

November 26, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
    • gerald

Endtime, funny that in Ex 25 AFTER exodus 20 God actually commands the making of a graven image. In Joshua 7 the Jews bow down before the Ark of the Covenant, a graven image of sorts and God grants them victory. Images are not to be worshipped and that is the point of the command. In Catholicism images are nothing more than reminders to us of Christ and those who loved him. This is not condemned as you claim.

November 26, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
    • Obynno

@ Endtime, It is better to remain silent than to showcase your ignorant of the scripture. You just quoted Ex 20: 4-5. But I wanna encourage you to read Ex 25: 18- 22 and then Ex 36:8-35, you will see God specifically commanding Moses to make images for use in worshipping him. Read also Numbers 21: 8-9 and 1 Kings 6: 23- 29 and 7: 23-26.
      Don t just lift a passage of the scripture in isolation. My simply advice is if you humbly and sincerely seek God in the Scripture and History and objectively follow the truth ....I will not be surprise if you show up in a Catholic church.

November 26, 2011 at 7:27 pm |
  19. News Flash

Oh for god's sake, (smirk). Talk about "Much Ado About Nothing" ! Big deal. So few words are changed, because some old guys in dresses decided to do it, (instead of this being a groundswell of "bottom up" initiated/motivated change, which is of course exactly the problem, and inauthentic model of authority in this inst'itution). It signifies nothing, except that some old German guy is trying to assert his power. What exactly was so great about the original Latin Mass that required a return to it ? And BTW Mr. Roope, it's not the Divine Office of Worship, (which implies that the people in the office are "divine", whatever that is), it is the Office of Divine Worship. No editors on duty this weekend ?

November 26, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  20. Mark Debur

I became a Catholic a couple years ago while studying at the University of Toronto. I'm excited to fully embrace the new mass this Christmas season.

May the peace of Christ be with you all.

November 26, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
    • augustghost

its a fairytale like every other religion...you should have invested in different classes

November 26, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
    • GC

I converted about ten, eleven years ago. I used to be an atheist.

November 26, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
    • Mrs. M

Gerald,

A BIG thank you for letting the others know how wrong they are in what they say. I am and always have been a Catholic. A few years ago, I got so SICK of the "new Mass" that I stopped going to it . Before I did though, I looked for and found a church that was celebrating the Latin Mass. I am so very happy that I decided to go back to my roots and celebrate the Mass with the Priest. I do pray for the other Catholics who are still going to the so called new Mass.

November 26, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
    • gerald

MRs. M. I do hope you are going to the fraternal society of Peter and not the schismatic Pius X and Sedevacantists.

November 26, 2011 at 6:21 pm |