home
RSS
On Sunday, Catholic Mass won't sound the same
Rev. Benny George is a associate pastor at St. Francis Xavier Parish in Burbank, California.
November 26th, 2011

On Sunday, Catholic Mass won't sound the same

By Jim Roope, CNN Radio National Correspondent

(CNN)–If you’re Catholic, mass this Sunday will sound different for  the first time in nearly half a century.

You’ll hear it in the prayers of both the people and the priests.

“We have come back to a more accurate translation of the Latin from the Roman Missal,” said Fr. Rick Hilgartner, executive director of the Divine Office of Worship for the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. “The language of prayer should be evocative, speaking in terms of imagery and metaphor.”

The changes are enormous, said Fr. Richard Albarano, of St. Francis Xavier Church in Burbank, California, and should help the 280 million English-speaking Catholics grow in their  love for the mass. “The mass is the center of our lives,” said Albarano.

Not since the Second Vatican Council in 1965 have such sweeping changes been made.

The Vatican II changes were radical – the priest spoke in English instead of Latin and he faced the people instead of having his back to them. An Old Testament reading was also added to the mass, a surprise to many who thought of the Catholic Church as a New Testament only church.

Other changes, large and small, were designed by Pope John XXIII to get the people (and not just the priest) involved in the mass. But the changes were not communicated in advance. People showed up one Sunday morning, and it was all changed.

“They wondered if they were even in a Catholic church,” said Albarano.

This time, the Catholic Church has been talking about the changes, and communicating them to parishes, since 2000. For the past three months, many parishes have been working to ready their followers for the changes in the wording of the prayers.

That doesn’t mean some won’t be caught by surprise. “It’s going to be like Vatican II all over again,” Albarano said. “I haven’t heard much about catechizing across the Los Angeles Archdiocese at all. We said we were going to do it. I hope we did.”

To hear the complete story, click the audio player.

- CNN

Filed under: Catholic Church • Mass

soundoff (1,372 Responses)
  1. Mark Debur

I recently became Catholic while studying at the University of Toronto.

May the peace of Christ be with you all.

November 26, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
    • *frank*

Stop lying.

November 26, 2011 at 9:00 pm |
    • Josep E cklund

Yeah, seriously dude. Stop lying. You didn't study at the University of Toronoto. Wasn't it U of Ontario?

November 26, 2011 at 9:07 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Why?

November 26, 2011 at 9:07 pm |
    • citizenmn

Mark, my sympathies; there are better churches out there. Please reconsider your choice.

November 26, 2011 at 9:12 pm |
    • Josep E cklund

@Ungodly- i bet he had a "burning in his bosoms." Oh wait, wrong church.

November 26, 2011 at 9:15 pm |
    • Judy

There's no better Church than the one Christ established, you found it.

November 26, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
    • CJ

Thank you ! Praise God ! Peace and love for everybody.

November 26, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  2. tony

If there was any such thing as the" Power of Prayer", US Christians would get FAR better medical and life insurance rates than Atheists. Any "believers" out there seen that happen?

November 26, 2011 at 8:48 pm |
    • HeIsGod

LOL, what does that have to do with "POWER OF PRAYER"?

November 26, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
    • tony

Everything. It means there is no actual effect and people prayed for recover from harm no better that those who are not prayed for. Which of course means no-one is out there listening to prayers, nor doing anything about them. I.e – almost perfect evidence for the non-existence of gods.

November 26, 2011 at 8:57 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Proof positive that Higgy is a moron.

November 26, 2011 at 9:09 pm |
  3. Colin

I just returned from Australia. Wow, the Catholic Church is on life support there. Most people have emerged from the supernatural beliefs of Catholicism and regard it as an irrelevant anachronism. Young people, in particular, want nothing to do with it. They can’t find enough priests to replace those who die.

I hope we atheists and freethinkers can repeat the success we have had there (and in Western Europe) and drive this antiquated, superst.itious insti.tution from the face of the Earth.

November 26, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Amen.

November 26, 2011 at 8:48 pm |
    • AGuest9

We as humans need to grow beyond the rituals that are irrelevant anachronisms.

November 26, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
    • paul

"The fool has said in his heart there is no God Uopn this rock I will build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it' and what makes you think the Roman Catholic church has any thing to do with Apostolic Christianty anyway? T hat false doctrine did not eeven begin until the year 325 AD, almost 300 years after the disciples gathered in the Upper room on The day of Pentecost. Read and obey Acts 2:38!!! If you want to know what is going to happen to that false prophet sitting on his throne in the Vactian. read Rev 17 and the 18th chapter it is not going to be pretty!!!!

November 26, 2011 at 9:07 pm |
    • TR6

Well you have to remember that Australia has a great advantage over the US. During the colonial times they got the prisoners and we got the puritans

November 26, 2011 at 9:11 pm |
    • paul

"The fool has said in his heart there is no God Upon this rock I will build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it' and what makes you think the Roman Catholic church has anything to do with Apostolic Christianty anyway? T hat false doctrine did not even begin until the year 325 AD, almost 300 years after the disciples gathered in the Upper room on The day of Pentecost. Read and obey Acts 2:38!!! If you want to know what is going to happen to that false prophet sitting on his throne in the Vactian. read Rev 17 and the 18th chapter it is not going to be pretty!!!!

November 26, 2011 at 9:18 pm |
    • johnfrichardson

Exactly, TR6!!!!

November 26, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  4. john paul

now they just need to quit mol3sting children and kick out the f@gs.

November 26, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
    • AGuest9

Allow them to marry, like the "original twelve", if there really were. There's that number again, just like the tribes of Israel., and on and on. Numerology.

November 26, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
  5. Finnrau

"An Old Testament reading was also added to the mass, a surprise to many who thought of the Catholic Church as a New Testament only church."

That's a pretty odd statement... I never knew anyone thought of the Church as "a New Testament only Church". And while the pre-Vatican II Mass may have not had Old Testament "readings" within the Mass (It did, however, have them in the Divine Office), the old Mass included lots of material from the Psalms.

November 26, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

That is just so fascinating.

November 26, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

That is just so fascinating

November 26, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
    • AGuest9

The First Reading always came from the OT. The psalm came from Psalms. The Second Reading came from the Acts. The Gospel came from one of the "evangelists" on a rotating basis based on year.

November 26, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
    • N

The first reading was called "the Epistle", because it came, usually from the NT.

November 26, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
    • dixiejon

the Epistle was often an OT reading, i don't see where they got that either. Sirach and Wisdom made sense to me as an atheist and satisfied my training in morality. too bad protestants.

November 27, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
  6. Ungodly Discipline

Waiting for fda to refute me......still waiting.........it is so easy.........still waiting.........

November 26, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
    • Josep E cklund

fda's "faith" is a vestigial remnant of a Bronze-Age god. Don't wait too long 😛

November 26, 2011 at 8:48 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

lol.....want to give people a chance to explain themselves but the Christians never really show up for the game.

November 26, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
    • HeIsGod

How long will you be waiting? fda isn't the one whom you will have to answer to. Christ is the one who will judge you, rather you like it or not, believe in Him or not.

November 26, 2011 at 9:01 pm |
    • Josep E cklund

I know, right. they just sit and spout off at everyone else's perceived "lack of intelligence," rather than defending their own straw men arguments.

I think we need to ask: WWCS? What Would Cartman Say (to those people)?

From my limited understanding of the South Park Bible, Cartman would say: "How would you like to....suck my balls?"

November 26, 2011 at 9:02 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Cartman would be hyperventilating. Higgy and fda between them haven't got two brain cells to rub together.

They'd do more good for their god if they stopped posting their moronic swill. At least they wouldn't bring shame to him.

November 26, 2011 at 9:20 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Helsgod. Bless you. Amen.

November 26, 2011 at 9:21 pm |
  7. HeIsGod

Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son – Well, if you must know, one can pray and plant the seed. It is God who waters the seed, but that doesn't mean a fool will always be converted.

November 26, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Hels
      Explain how the Praying part works please.

November 26, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
    • tony

Through life's experience, I went from child Christian back to Sane. It's only by religious grooming by humans that gives an innocent child a concept of "gods" and religion. No god required.

November 26, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
    • HeIsGod

I need to get out for a few minutes, please give me a chance to explain later one.....there is power in prayer, speaking from personal experience. Will you be here later?

November 26, 2011 at 9:05 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Any one of us will be more "here" than you ever will, you whackaloon.

November 26, 2011 at 9:11 pm |
    • Laird MacEncheis

LOL@Tom
      good one bro! I laffed.

November 26, 2011 at 9:22 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Hels, I won't be waiting on your dum ass to tell me how "prayer" works. LOL

November 26, 2011 at 9:23 pm |
  8. HeIsGod

Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son –

November 26, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
    • tony

Exodus 14:19-30 pretty much proves even the Israelites didn't see or believe in an all-powerful God.

November 26, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
    • HeIsGod

Hi, tony, and I agree. That's why God gave His Son for us.

November 26, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Hels
      How does one "seek" a dead person, err....Christ? Please share your wisdom.

November 26, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
    • HeIsGod

Ungodly Discipline – Have you ever read the part in the bible after Christ was died, He rose again on the 3rd day?

November 26, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
    • HeIsGod

oops, forgot to remove "was".

November 26, 2011 at 8:56 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You forgot more than you ever knew, you nut. Just give up, Higgy. You're not fooling anyone. You're nuts and dumb. Perfect combination for a thumper.

November 26, 2011 at 9:12 pm |
    • TR6

“I challenge you to seek Christ for yourself to see if what I have said are lies or not.”

I call BS on your challenge.

I was born into a Christian home. Belief in Christ and the Christian religion were as integral a part of my young life as gravity and eating. However the older I got the more I noticed that the evidence for gravity and eating was absolutely clear, unequivocal and easily demonstrable; but, the evidence for Christ and Christianity were nonexistent.

November 26, 2011 at 9:20 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Hels, I "Rise" every morning and sometimes two or three times a day....

November 26, 2011 at 9:25 pm |
  9. ruby gumshoe

"I like your Christ. I do not like Christians. Christians are so unlike Christ." - Mohandas Karamchand (Mahatma) Gandhi

November 26, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
    • HeIsGod

Was Gandhi a follower of Christ at all? No he wasn't.

November 26, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Yet he has you, spot on, Higgy. You are the perfect example for Ghandi's observation. So unlike Christ. So abominable.

November 26, 2011 at 9:13 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Ghandi also was a lawyer in South Africa and argued that dark skinned Indian children should be treated the same as European white children and not like Africans.

November 26, 2011 at 9:38 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Yeah, Mark, and? So?

November 26, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  10. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, look, Higgy ran away. Again. As usual. As always.

Prolly getting plotzed on tequila again and trying to find some guy who'll get drunk enough to take her home and give her what's for.

November 26, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
    • HeIsGod

No, I am back....I do have a life away from the Internet, you know, unlike you. LOL

November 26, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
    • HeIsGod

Can you grow up and act your age.....55 is to damn old to be immature, but, hey, I guess you can't grow up, eh?

November 26, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Guess you can't grow up or grow a brain, can you Higgy? It's pretty sad to see someone so desperate for approval.

November 26, 2011 at 9:14 pm |
  11. Colin

How many magic, after-death kingdoms do Catholics believe in? I know of heaven, hell, pergutory and limbo, but is that it?

November 26, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
    • Finnrau

Well really only two, since Limbo is a slightly nicer part of Hell and Purgatory is a slightly less nice part of Heaven.

November 26, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
    • sm101

From the mouths of babes...

November 26, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
  12. C. Smythe

I am truly saddened that in this modern time 2000 year old religions can cause so much turmoil. While millions starve billions are spent on armaments and the populations continue to grow like mold on cheese. If the strong nations could take 10 years off from war and concentrate on educating the next generation so much could be gained. Mankind has such potential but the failure of democracy to corruption and the continuation of those age old and obsolete religions could be our undoing. I am disappoint. I fear for my children . . . and yours.

November 26, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
    • *frank*

I dont have any children.

November 26, 2011 at 8:48 pm |
  13. william graham

the bible does say that women should submit......

November 26, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
    • Jen

If you're talking about Paul's texts, those passages are redactions–parts that weren't in the original manuscripts but instead added later. Women played a large role in the early Church, and only as it grew were they subjugated.

FYI, I am not a Catholic, not do I believe in God–I just believe in good research.

November 26, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
  14. faith

@ungodly discipline

i can't prove unicorns don't exist...but hey you never know...they just might exist.
    however im not here lashing at anyone for their beliefs or opinions. im not going to judge anyone, for all i know you could be a really nice person, but in the end we were all raised differently and experienced different things throughout life.
    Me personally i do believe in God and its more than just saying he exists and created us. For me it goes beyond that.
    Yet no one has been able to prove of his non existance.
    Believe what you want to believe i will not sit here and try to prove or say your wrong. We all will die eventually, so i guess we will find out then huh?

Please understand im not trying to be rude. i just find what people say as interesting. so many different opinions and beliefs out there. fascinating to me.

God Bless

November 26, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
    • TR6

You can believe whatever you want to believe and live by whatever extra rules and restrictions you want to and as long as you don’t try to force them onto the rest of society or turn them into laws that everyone must follow, you have my blessing

November 26, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
  15. ajk68

The Mass won't sound the same in English. It's actually just a better and more accurate translation of the Latin.

November 26, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
  16. Tomb of the unknown ending

All the world's stories about God's creation & purpose are adult folk tales invented over the centuries
    to suit various Priests and their subjugates agenda, It's OK .
    We will never know who if God lived at all or if we were created by a being(s) as yet unimaginable having said that who created the first creator ,that's the person or person's or ???? I wish to worship.

November 26, 2011 at 7:59 pm |
  17. polycarp pio

Shall the thing made question the maker? Through much tribulation we enter into the kingdom of God. In the world you shall have tribulation, be of good cheer for I have overcome the world. We were never promised a bed of roses here in this world, the vast majority of our blessings lie in the world to come. Quit trying to define God by the things people do or not do, his ways are far above ours. It is all about faith either you bellieve and except or you try and figure it out with your carnal mind and fall into unbelief. PP

November 26, 2011 at 7:57 pm |
    • tony

Better not say the emperor has no clothes then.

November 26, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
    • TR6

I owe nothing to a psychotic god that created an imperfect world and imperfect people and then damns them for the defects it created them with. Especially since there is no evidence that it exists.

November 26, 2011 at 8:56 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

TR6, you said it and so efficiently that I can only say "Bravo".

As I have said before, why would a just and merciful being create humans with faults, demand they fear him and worship him, and threaten them with eternal fire if they fail to do so? For what? To what end? Why does a supreme being need to have his creation fear him? Worship him? Why create a world and then dare it not to perform as he designed it to do?

As I have said before, is earth just god's own personal XBox?

November 26, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  18. Pat in IL

I am mainstream Christian (Methodist) and certainly respect all denominations. My main beef with the Catholic church is that the priests cannot marry, yet they are supposed to be expert marriage counselors. They cannot have children, yet they can tell a woman that she cannot use birth control. It's just not a realistic situation, and certainly no help to the congregants. Of course, there is the 'women can't be priests' issue, that I find unbelievable, too.

November 26, 2011 at 7:55 pm |
    • Pula

Does a surgeon need to have cancer to treat it?

November 26, 2011 at 8:01 pm |
    • gerald

November 26, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
    • ajk68

Priests were able to get married. There are historical reasons why celibacy became the rule. It was more problematic for priests to be married than for them not to be.

Priests aren't marriage counselors. If someone needs marriage counseling they should go to a counselor and/or a Catholic couple who knows the faith well. However, priests do know the problems of married couples quite well – especially priests who hear confession often. These priests can give lots of helpful advice. Regarding contraception, in general, priests are much more aware of the problems contraception causes in relationships. Like or it or not, contraception orients the relationship between husband and wife.

November 26, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
    • Colin

Gerald, it doesn't, but apparently smashing their heads against rocks is ok – as is drwning them, slaying them and destroying the towns they live in. Your bible is a sick joke.

November 26, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
    • JudyB

Episcopal's are looking for members.

November 26, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
    • Peter

"William Graham"'s posts are so dripping with hate and venom, so over the top, that he must be putting us on.

November 26, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
    • Calvin

Have you ever read 1 Timothy? It is pretty clear that women should not be clergy.

November 26, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
    • SherryPJD

Gee, isn't it a good thing you are not Catholic? Why do you worry about issues that are not in your church?

November 26, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
    • apostate

@Calvin Too bad 1st and 2nd Timothy are forgeries.

November 26, 2011 at 9:08 pm |
    • TR6

@gerald: “William, where in Catholic teaching does it say child molesting is okay? It doesn't.”

I can’t speak directly to Catholic teaching; but, there is at least one place in the bible that encourages murdering little boys and mole$ting little girls

And Moses said unto them “Have ye saved all the women alive?... Now therefore Kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known a man by lying with him, but all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves” Num 31:1-2, 9-11, 14-18

November 26, 2011 at 9:26 pm |
    • Cuervo Jones

"A mans character may be measured by the temptations he resists"............Abbie Hoffman

November 27, 2011 at 8:56 pm |
  19. Charles

Alot of people say that Religion is at the heart of so much of the world’s Problems; I dissagree ! Religion is the way by which we express our intimicy with GOD while Spirituality has to do with how we choose to express our LOVE within our relationship with those that surround us.

The cause of the world’s problems is neither GOD, nor Religion or Spirituality. The cause of the world’s problems is MAN’S Pride as well as his Thirst for Power and Control. MAN’s Limitless sens of EGO and Individualisme. Those things which dwell within the HEART of MAN and give him this ever ceasseless false impression of being at the center of the Universe, of believing he can accomplish anything on his own without ever needing to rely on anyone or anything, and finaly making him believe he is a god. So this, in my opinion, is at the true HEART of all the existing pain in this world. It is everywhere and knows no borders. It doesn’t care about faith or Atheisme, race or age. It doesn’t care about Justice or Compassion. It spreads like a virus and sows the seeds of Hatred and Vengance. AAAHHHHH What a god (MAN’s Pride and Thirst for Power and Control) !!!
    I’Ve never been so glad to need someone (GOD through his son Jesus Christ). I choose HIS LOVE over my pride. And even for love; what is my love but the meer twinkle of a flame. I d’ont want to love with my love, I want him to Love for me and through me. I don’t want my heart, I want HIS.

It’s not GOD that’s the problem, its our HEARTS !

GOD BLESS !

Charles

November 26, 2011 at 7:53 pm |
    • faith

Charles i believe you said it well. Man's greed and thirst for power and control is what will destroy us. ulimately we are in charge of our own actions. how better off this world would be if we took it upon ourselves to help those around us.

November 26, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
    • TR6

Srebrenica massacre

November 26, 2011 at 9:32 pm |
  20. Joe Ecklund

I think the real question we all need to be asking is not WWJD? But WDJEDPD? What Did JEDP Do? In this lies many of the answers to life, the universe and everthang 😛

November 26, 2011 at 7:43 pm |