home
RSS
On Sunday, Catholic Mass won't sound the same
Rev. Benny George is a associate pastor at St. Francis Xavier Parish in Burbank, California.
November 26th, 2011

On Sunday, Catholic Mass won't sound the same

By Jim Roope, CNN Radio National Correspondent

(CNN)–If you’re Catholic, mass this Sunday will sound different for  the first time in nearly half a century.

You’ll hear it in the prayers of both the people and the priests.

“We have come back to a more accurate translation of the Latin from the Roman Missal,” said Fr. Rick Hilgartner, executive director of the Divine Office of Worship for the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. “The language of prayer should be evocative, speaking in terms of imagery and metaphor.”

The changes are enormous, said Fr. Richard Albarano, of St. Francis Xavier Church in Burbank, California, and should help the 280 million English-speaking Catholics grow in their  love for the mass. “The mass is the center of our lives,” said Albarano.

Not since the Second Vatican Council in 1965 have such sweeping changes been made.

The Vatican II changes were radical – the priest spoke in English instead of Latin and he faced the people instead of having his back to them. An Old Testament reading was also added to the mass, a surprise to many who thought of the Catholic Church as a New Testament only church.

Other changes, large and small, were designed by Pope John XXIII to get the people (and not just the priest) involved in the mass. But the changes were not communicated in advance. People showed up one Sunday morning, and it was all changed.

“They wondered if they were even in a Catholic church,” said Albarano.

This time, the Catholic Church has been talking about the changes, and communicating them to parishes, since 2000. For the past three months, many parishes have been working to ready their followers for the changes in the wording of the prayers.

That doesn’t mean some won’t be caught by surprise. “It’s going to be like Vatican II all over again,” Albarano said. “I haven’t heard much about catechizing across the Los Angeles Archdiocese at all. We said we were going to do it. I hope we did.”

To hear the complete story, click the audio player.

- CNN

Filed under: Catholic Church • Mass

soundoff (1,372 Responses)
  1. Tom

Much adieu about nothing. Any movement on married priests, female priests, birth control, ku klux clan hats, dresses for garb, hierarchy walking in the footsteps of Jesus (everyday not just on good Friday). Answer, no. While Rome burns the bosses are changing a few words.

November 26, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
    • Doh, me noose vo bis coomb.

adieu = French, "goodbye". Much ado.

November 26, 2011 at 11:08 pm |
  2. courtney123

First, I come to this as someone born and raised Catholic who spent 16 years of Catholic school. As an adult, I fully admit that my faith has not always been strong. I try, but I waver. I have doubts, yet can't fully give up the faith. Having said that, I feel like the Catholic Church is doing everything it possibly can to drive people AWAY from the church. First, the pedophile scandals that seem to go on and on and on (is there no end in sight?), and now, they want to make the Holy Mass LESS accessible to the few faithful that they haven't already driven away. It boggles the mind.

November 26, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
    • rod1148

I agree, very well put. Also the the "official" church stand on birth control drives people away.

November 26, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

There are many like you including my wife. She was raised Catholic but married me, a total non-believer and between me and what the church has been doing, I think she may be a full blown agnostic at this point.

November 26, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
    • rod1148

The Mass changes mandated by Vatican II was based on "simplicity, intelligibility, and full participation." This new missal violates all those principles. I lived through those changes in the middle 60's. Not only did I not have any problems with them, for once the Eucharist began to make sense. I am a very active Catholic in my mid 60s. But I for one, can't go back and pretend.

November 26, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
    • courtney123

Agreed. I grew up post Vatican II. I doubt I would have any connection to the church at all, had I come of age prior to those changes.

November 26, 2011 at 11:07 pm |
    • dianasbob

One word: "FAITH"!

November 27, 2011 at 12:37 am |
    • Bucky Ball

"Also the the "official" church stand on birth control drives people away."
      -- No it doesn't. They just ignore it. The majority of Catholic women of childbearing age use it. Family planning is practiced by almost everyone these days. They may leave, but it isn't because of that. 😈

November 27, 2011 at 12:59 am |
    • Bucky Ball

According to the Catechism of the RC Church, (1757) – "The object, the intention, and the circu'mstances make up the three "sources" of the morality of human acts."
      -- Well, the "intention" of a couple practicing the Rhythm Method is EXACTLY the same as the "intention" of the couple using birth control. Go figure. 😈

November 27, 2011 at 1:24 am |
  3. Tom

C@tholics support P3dophilia.

November 26, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
    • Will

Evangel1cal Pr0testants support @nimal s0domy and 1ncest.

November 26, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
    • NoMoreLabels

Now, settle down you two...it's nap time.

November 26, 2011 at 11:40 pm |
  4. rod1148

Lets go back to Latin. Hey, if it was good enough for Jesus it's good enough for me!
    Now, show me where Jesus spoke Latin. The Romans didn't even speak Latin in the first century. They used Greek.

November 26, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  5. Andrea

I was raised Catholic, Catholic school for 14 years. Once I got to college and settled into academia, I felt organized religion didn't speak to me at all. I prefer a personal relationship with god that does not involve me goin to church every week. I found all my friends are agnostics or athesist and they all have BA's, MA's, Phd's etc. It seems the more education I got, (I have an MA) the more I questioned the reasoning for the church and how people used God as a crutch to fix problems they themselves could fix. Interesting from my own experience, it seems the more education you have, the less interested in God or organized religion you are. Which is perhaps why so many younger people shy away from the church these days.

November 26, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  6. fda

I wanted to share with everyone one of the reasons I believe in God and thank him for his presence in my life every single day. Type into Google, "Homeless Boy Wows Judges on Korea's Got Talent", and take a listen to who he is. It might just be the best 8 minutes you ever spend on the internet....

November 26, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
    • HeIsGod

God bless you, fda, keep up the faith and don't let these poor unbelievers bring you down to their level of nothing. Because without Christ, we are nothing.

November 26, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Yeah, nothing except for our "Jeannies".

November 26, 2011 at 10:36 pm |

fda and helsgod
      Don't be so hard on yourself. You can't help being ignorant and I think you deserve a pat on the back for trying to throw down with people far superior in intelligence than yourself. Just go off to church and hang with like minded people. They will think you are super smart I am sure. Well I am not sure, they might think you are dumb sh its too, but at least you have a better chance there.

November 26, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, they certainly have a better chance there, because they'll be surrounded by other morons and hypocrites. The morons won't recognized their stupidity and the hypocrites will pretend they don't, and praise them to their faces while laughing at them behind their backs.

November 26, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
    • fda

But you see, I don't have to prove it. God sent his only son for you to see. The church started with one of his apostles, peter, the new testament written by the holy spirit. I don't need to do anything. You just need to check the facts.
      And if that is not enough for you. Find out what Fatima is. Or look at the pictures of the cross that was found on 911 after the buildings fell...

November 26, 2011 at 10:42 pm |

fda
      That is what I always tell my kids. You don't have to do your homeworik! Just concentrate real hard and a ghost willl do it for you! Good solid foundation for the kids to grow up with.

November 26, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
    • fda

Last time I checked Catholic school students were doing better at SAT scores than public schools.

November 26, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Wait, Ungodly, now you can say that the "Jeannie" will do it!

November 26, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Last time I checked, the Catholic schools only accepted kids they chose to admit.

November 26, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
    • fda

Yes TomTOm, you do require to be Catholic to get into a Catholic school. ANd I say school excluding Catholic Universities. Liberals and satan are infesting Catholic Universities.

November 26, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

"you do require to be catholic"? Umm, no, I don't require anything.

Are you drinking the Communion wine again?

November 26, 2011 at 11:00 pm |
    • fda

Wow Tom Tom you fit right in here on CNN, making quotations halfway through the quote.

November 26, 2011 at 11:04 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Where did God send his only son from?
      Wait, Peter was ghost?
      Facts? Where do I go to check the facts?
      Fatima? OMG
      Now you are pis sing me off with the 911 thing. If there was a God, there would not be a 911 dumb-as s
      You ignorance has exceeded my ability to comprehend it.
      Jeanie!!

November 26, 2011 at 11:06 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Gee, I am SO sorry. Do explain how posting the entire quote would have made a difference. Go right ahead.

November 26, 2011 at 11:07 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

fda, where and what is "satan"??

November 26, 2011 at 11:08 pm |
    • fda

Oh TomTom. You no more different than me in our mistakes. Take for example 2000 years. Its actually 2011 years ago give or take a few days, like 6. You made the exact same type of mistake I did. Type in the way we use inaccuracies. But we get our points across don't we. Somehow we manage. And ya know, we are very much alike. But we are different in the single way that I don't think any less of you for those mistakes.

November 26, 2011 at 11:10 pm |
    • Doh, me noose vo bis coomb.

I rubbed, and my Jeannie popped out.

November 26, 2011 at 11:10 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

fda, with every post you make yourself just seem dumber and dumber. Sky fairies, Demons, ghosts....seriously, you really can't see that you are living in a fantasy world reserved for little children? Santa, Easter Bunny, Unicorns......wow.

November 26, 2011 at 11:11 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Ficking dumb azz: You no more different than me in our mistakes.

---

Nope. You are nothing like me, fda. You're not only stupid, but you are a liar. You're no scientist. You are barely able to impersonate a college graduate from a third-tier school.

Get bent, dude. You are clueless.

November 26, 2011 at 11:14 pm |
    • fda

Satan AKA Lucifer, tried to create like God did. He was prepared a special place where he could spell upon the earth pandora's Box. Satan loves war. Satan loves murder. ANd he loves you as much as God does. Satan wants you to lie, to deceive. Because his pleasure comes by your pain.
      Not much is known about Satan. But a secret I will share with you, is every night before I go to sleep, I often find this terrible paranormal experience. I reach over my bed and grab one of two rosaries and I pray to God that he takes away this terrible prescene of the ever waiting evil to infest my soul.
      I made the mistake of praying to God once asking him not to jhelp me, to let me help carry his cross. I ask pray for a new leader in NK, I pray that he help eases the pain of other peoples crosses, for the things I pray for are verminous or trivial. I dont pray that God helps me, I pray for people like you who are lost and are in terrible terrible danger, for death is only a drive away and you do not see the urgency in changing your ways. Thats what i pray for and enjoy my state of consciousness that perhaps Jesus is relived of one thorn or one whip because of my prayers.

November 26, 2011 at 11:17 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Stop smokin' the dra pes, fda.

November 26, 2011 at 11:22 pm |

fda,
      Who created Satan?

November 26, 2011 at 11:39 pm |
    • fda

Well God created everything...
      And you are leading into one of the great mysteries. No one except God himself can tell you why. I do not presume to know that. I imagine free will has something to do with it. But free will was something that was created when earth was created. Satan is something we refer to as pure spirit. God is a pure spirit or something that was never mortal. A true spirit, through Gods own power and perhaps new knowledge can never be destroyed.
      I think God does make mistakes and one of the greatest is creating something that can never be created.
      You see Ill give you something you can truly use to your advantage. Satan also convinced 2/3 of the smartest angels in heaven to follow him. And you will find these creatures in Michelagelos paiting of the last judgement... ie: Minos.
      Do you know who Minos is?

November 26, 2011 at 11:47 pm |

Charon, not Minos...

November 26, 2011 at 11:50 pm |
  7. Laura

"The Lord be with you!" "and with your spirit" "and with you"
    I don't like either. I AM my spirit.
    I prefer a wording that recognizes this.

November 26, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
    • Doh, me noose vo bis coomb.

I prefer the Latin.

November 26, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
    • fda

Your body and your mind is but 2/3rds of who you are. Your spirit, or the holy spirit is God himself. ITs how you are my brother or sister. Its the spirit that is like one puddle meets the other, it is this where you are included in the mass.

November 26, 2011 at 10:21 pm |

fda: Prove it.

November 26, 2011 at 10:27 pm |

November 26, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
    • HeIsGod

LOL, okay, be my guess....let's see how it goes with your spirit when you come face to face with your Creator.

November 26, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You cannot be serious. The "cross" that was found?

OMG. There are no. words.

November 26, 2011 at 10:45 pm |

BE MY GUESS?

It just gets better and better. Did you really think that was the phrase, Higgy? "Be my guess"?

Please, for the love of Pete, go to school, woman. There's no excuse for your ignorance.

November 26, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
    • HeIsGod

AMEN, fda, KEEP PREACHING!

November 26, 2011 at 10:47 pm |

fda
      What is your take on string theory and the"multiverse" theory? Follow up question, if these theories prove correct, does God function at the micro or macro level of the multiverse and does he not only intervene in our time/space but in the infinite time space predicted by this concept? In other words, if expansion theory is true, then "fda" exists in an infinite number of iterations due to the probability of mathematics as it relates to this very likely concept. Final question, why doesn't your God or Jesus know anything about math? Are they not God? The universe(s) can be explained with math but they seem to be completely ignorant. How can the all knowing God be ignorant of math?

November 26, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
    • HeIsGod

Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son aka notation – Do me a favor and act your age...oh wait, that's impossible.

November 26, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I have a question, too. What does Higgy have to say with regard to fda's answers to the questions posed above? Does she agree or disagree with fda's opinions, and why?

November 26, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Aww, what's wrong, Higgy? Why are you unable to show Christ's love to those who disagree with you?

November 26, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
    • HeIsGod

Are you serious, Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son????!!!!

You are that blind that you missed the cross that was left when the Twin Towers fell after the attack? Well, being old can be the problem. ' – )

November 26, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
    • fda

ehhh, string theory, well i think its highly possible that the earth coalesces into heaven, which is consistent with Jesus's preaching with the sermon on the mount. Ya know the 'Our Father'... that earth may be like heaven.
      Is heaven not a logical proof to string theory?

November 26, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
    • HeIsGod

LOL, Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son, you are just making yourself look like a total immature fool they way you are commenting. You can't seem to know how to debate with others at in a mature way without insulting others. You are PATHETIC! LOL

November 26, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, did the "Jeannie" do it, Higgy? You know, I can make a cross with my fingers!

November 26, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Higgy, are you really unaware of the fact that you prove your character every single time you post your hatred?

Do you think your Jeannie likes that? Do you imagine you look sane to anyone?

November 26, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
    • fda

Also Jesus knows lots about math, I can tell you countless scriptures where he talks about 7 legions of his armies. In fact his mathematics follow a different logic than mathematics because his follows morality. Take for example the poor woman who throws a penny for charity versus the rich man who throws 10000 dollars into charity, Jesus tells us the poor woman gave more.

November 26, 2011 at 11:02 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Gee, I learn something every day. I didn't know the dollar was currency 2000 years ago!

November 26, 2011 at 11:05 pm |
    • Doh, me noose vo bis coomb.

Wow, now there's a new one. 2/3 to 1/3. Now just tell us where exactly you came up with THAT one ? Was it in the Summa Theologica's chapter on fractions ?

November 26, 2011 at 11:13 pm |

fda,
      Your string theory response was incoherent, but perhaps you can expand on your answer. Where is heaven?

November 26, 2011 at 11:41 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

OMG! I just tossed a couple of pencils on my desk and the formed a cross! THANK YOU JESUS, THANK YOU!!!!

November 26, 2011 at 11:44 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

fda, did you acutally say math has morals? OMG

November 26, 2011 at 11:49 pm |
  8. HeIsGod

Ungodly Discipline – In regards to how the Prayer part works:

I used to be an Atheist and even though I have been told many times that God exists, I would still pray, but I didn’t see my prayers being answered. Which it made me very mad and frustrated. I gave up trying for a long time and stopped. Up until I found myself in a place where I had no choice but to call on God. God actually answered my prayer and started to deal with my heart very strong. Than one day, I met a lady at the bus stop who started to preach to me about Christ and invited me to her church. I accepted her invitation and she took me with her and that very day, I felt the power of God over my life. I had to change my ways and my life in order to me to benefit from the blessing that God wanted me to have.

What I learned is that God isn’t a Jeannie that you can rub the bottle and he appears at your command. Many people think that God should be at their command and expect God to do whatever one asks Him to do as if we are more powerful than He. God doesn’t hear the sinner’s prayer, unless the sinner repents and decides to accept God’s will and ways for his/her life. Now, that doesn’t mean that I will not have hardship in my life, but at least I am confidence that God will come through for me when I find myself in a situation that is out of my control. God has been there for me many times, even in the most difficult times when I found myself overwhelmed and wanted to give up.

November 26, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Gahhhhahhhahhhahhhhhhhhhhhhahhhhhhhhha! A "Jeannie"? Oh, my god, what a freakin' idiot you are, Higgy! But thank you for giving me the best laugh of the night! "Jeannie"? Ahhahhahhhhhhhhhhahaoooooohhhhhhhhhhhhohhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaa!

November 26, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I'll bet Higgy watched "I Dream of Jeannie" and thought that was the correct spelling of the word!

Comedy gold, I tell ya.

November 26, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
    • HeIsGod

Wow, old hag, why don't you really try to grow up? Bahahaha.....is that all you got from everything I posted? Aren't too old to act like a 15 year old, notation?

November 26, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I knew I could 'out' you, Higgy. You can't stand it when you're called on your complete lack of education or intelligence, and you invariable revert to your real, authentic, hateful self.

Thanks for playing, honey. Say hi to all your pals.

November 26, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
    • TR6

For as long as I can remember (and I’m a bit over 50) every year the pope (Christ’s vicker on earth, the most powerful prayer on earth, Mr. religion himself ) has prayed for peace in the Middle East every Christmas and it hasn’t done a bit of good. He might just as well have wished upon a star. So if decades of praying by Mr. Big doesn’t change anything, then I’ m left to the conclusion that either god does not answer prayer (if not for the big guy then for who?) or there is no god to answer at all

November 26, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
    • Clancy

No one's rubbed her "Jeannie"... ever.

November 26, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

If there were a god who answers prayers, Higgy would have a functioning cerebellum by now.

November 26, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Clancy, hee! No kidding. Her Jeannie is quite lonely...

November 26, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
    • HeIsGod

TR6 – Well, I am not a Catholic, but a non-denominational Christian. God will only bring peace to the individual who is willing to turn from sin. If God hasn’t brought peace to the Middle East is because of the sin that has overtaken the lives of those people. God only works within the heart of the person who wants to change, so, I can only pray that God will reach out to the people and help them believe in Him.

November 26, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
    • HeIsGod

Ahahaha, Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son, you sure hilarious....posting like a 15 year old.....makes you only look like a FOOL!! LOL

November 26, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Sure, honey. Keep telling yourself that and ignore the posts that prove otherwise.

November 26, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
    • Doh, me noose vo bis coomb.

Jeannie's vicar bought a vicker. This board should be the comedy board.

November 26, 2011 at 11:15 pm |

It isn't? Ooops, my bad.

Really, I come here for the laughs.

November 26, 2011 at 11:25 pm |
  9. martin

I'm glad the heresies of Vatican II have finally been expunged from daily worship.
    Priests have been preaching from the pulpit against the errors of Vatican II for 10 years,
    and finally they got rid of it. Thank G_d the Pope in his infallibity is leading the faithful to a righteous end.
    I hope Latin makes a comeback. Kids nowadays think it is the language of wizards and sorcerers, but in G_d's ears, it is the sweetest sound of prayer.

November 26, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Yeah, me too. That is so important.

November 26, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
    • Judy

Vatican II was no heresy, you don't trust the Holy Spirit to protect its Church.

November 26, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
    • Doh, me noose vo bis coomb.

Yes, the Lord of the universe prefers Latin. Idiot.

November 26, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
    • Dennis

While the Latin may be important to some people, it was just as important that the people understand what was said. That is why they changed it. It was not that Latin was evil but too many people had no clue what they were praying. As you said, it was some language that they had to recite, like a spell or something, but that they did not understand. I fear that the same thing could happen again. There are those who believe that the people have lost the spirituality of the mass. But in reality, they have gained a great amount in understanding about the mass. I would say that the Charismatic Catholic movement began with the understanding of the Scriptures. You also have to remember that before Vatican II, Catholics were not encouraged to read the Bible. It will be interesting, hopefullly not tragically, to see the impact on the Church.

November 26, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
    • Doh, me noose vo bis coomb.

And Marty, BTW, if your pope really is infallible, what was wrong with the last few ? Oh, I get it. They are correct and infallible ONLY if YOU agree with them. Got it.

November 26, 2011 at 11:17 pm |
    • martin

You got to be Pope to be infallible.
      Once your're dead, you are not Pope anymore,
      and the next Pope can declare your changes to be wrong.
      I see nothing wrong with that, and who am I to criticize a living Pope.

November 26, 2011 at 11:59 pm |
    • Doh, me noose vo bis coomb.

OMG. You mean they WERE right, but then they died, and then they were wrong ? hahahahahahahahahahaha
      Sorry. Either you ARE right, or you are wrong. By your logic, the present pope CAN be wrong, if he just waits until the next pope says so. Ahhh. Fail. THAT is NOT infallibility.

November 27, 2011 at 1:50 am |
    • Bucky Ball

Good one Doh. It's the sacred doctrine of Serial Fallibility. For that you get a mitre, a jeweled crozier, and the t'itle "nurse of the choich", (as opposed to Doctor of the Choich). You'll look just divine in your new red outfit. 😈

November 27, 2011 at 1:58 am |
    • AGeek

So if you don't speak Latin, your prayers sound like nails on a chalkboard? Really? Are you f'ing kidding me?

November 27, 2011 at 6:34 am |
    • N

Um, so now god has ears ? If THAT statement isn't the absolute PROOF that "god" is the projection of human minds, I don't know what is ! What would you do if god preferred Swahili, or Click ?

November 27, 2011 at 9:30 am |
  10. ts

CNN....why do you run any stories about Catholics? All it does is bring out the non believers and bigots.

Most Catholics just shrug off this garbage for what it is: Hate speech. Seems CNN condones this type of diologue but would not permit it against another group.

November 26, 2011 at 9:56 pm |
    • fda

You're are indelibly right. How could CNN ever offend YOUR opinion and even speak of Catholicism who owns 23% of the population or around 75 million possible viewers.

November 26, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
    • fda

opps CNN, I thought you were the other guy trolling. I only wrote half my comment before I read the other half of yours. Whoops, please direct my comment to the muzzle ready atheists.

November 26, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

"Indelibly"? Oh, my ef f ing god, but you're hilarious.

November 26, 2011 at 10:16 pm |

November 26, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Nope. The best moments I've spent on the internet is watching you and Higgy embarrass yourselves beyond belief.

No need to look further for entertainment. If you doubt me, look up the word "Schadenfreude".

November 26, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
    • ts

Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You seem to be crying out for help. May Jesus have mercy on you and his people.

November 27, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
  11. kerry

I dated a (virgin) Catholic girl who took me to her beautiful cathedral and I enjoyed the masses. Peace be with you all, is what they said. Meanwhile, she was sleeping with her boss behind my back. Sooo... wasn't a virgin. lol, I think I can say I was definitely a little confused about the whole God thing. I still have a slight resentment toward the Church for pulling that on me.

November 26, 2011 at 9:52 pm |
    • Colin

She could do what the "virgin" Mary did when she was caught sleeping around – blame a sky-fairy for penetrating her. lol

November 26, 2011 at 9:58 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

A festive cyo party with crepe paper streamers, contestants for the broom dance, the hokey pokey, baked goods, & father riley making sure the lights don't go down too low...

Father riley and various party goers:
      Catholic girls
      With a tiny little mustache
      Catholic girls
      Do you know how they go?
      Catholic girls
      In the rectory basement
      Father rileys a fairy
      But it don't bother mary
      Catholic girls
      At the cyo
      Catholic girls
      Do you know how they go?
      Catholic girls
      There can be no replacement
      How do they go, after the show?

Joe:
      All the way
      That's the way they go
      Every day
      And none of their mamas ever seem to know
      Hip-hip-hooray
      For all the class they show
      There's nothing like a catholic girl
      At the cyo
      When they learn to blow...

November 26, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

Ungodly, quit smokin' the dental floss!

November 26, 2011 at 10:51 pm |

CS!!! How are you?

Aren't you having a blast reading HeIsGod's posts?

November 26, 2011 at 11:02 pm |
    • Central Scrutinizer

Hey Lis,
      How are you? I just got in from Lake Tahoe. I am knee deep in The Girl that Played with Fire. Awsome book!

November 26, 2011 at 11:58 pm |
  12. jacquelinezr

I don't understand why people who don't believe in God, bother to post. I don't like math so I didn't become a mathematician. Don't believe in God - then don't bother with those who do.

November 26, 2011 at 9:45 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Fine. Then stop telling everyone else how to live, what to believe, whom to vote for, and what laws to pass.

Thanks in advance.

November 26, 2011 at 9:48 pm |
    • Colin

Because the intellectual jousting is just so much fun. It is addictive. Also, if we can help one or two Christians elevate themselves above their childish superst.itions, it is worth the effort.

November 26, 2011 at 9:48 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

You think you own the blog? It is not a bible meeting. It is a blog. If you are afraid of dialogue go away.

November 26, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
    • HeIsGod

Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son – Then stop telling everyone else how to live, what to believe, whom to vote for, and what laws to pass

Wow, you can't be more ignorant than what you already are, eh? Are you saying that the USA has Christians taking over the government? Oh, wait, I remember, Atheists are not allowed to be part of it....PRAISE THE MIGHTY NAME OF THE LORD!!!

Remember this, most of the laws are not even biblical.

November 26, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Goshers, higgy. Do tell. Really?

You moron. Do you really think anyone doesn't know that?

Yeah, you're so stupid you probably do.

November 26, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Hey, Higgy, why don't you tell is all about your god the "Jeannie"? I can hardly wait.

November 26, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
    • TR6

“I don't understand why people who don't believe in God, bother to post”

Just doing my best to counter act the mental poison that is christianity

November 26, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  13. Missy

Peace be to all of you.
    I'm a "cradle Catholic" and I attended Catholic schools for most of my life, as well as Mass. There was a time when I did attend and join a couple of other non-Catholic churches. But I returned to the Church and it is here that I will stay. Like many people, I'm very upset with the scandals and the cover-ups that have taken place. God is not mocked and I believe that the Catholic Church is experiencing His judgement and rightly so. There are times when I feel that some of the Church's actions drive me nuts but I remember what the Church gave me. It gave me my love of God, concern for others, taught me to pray and outlets to experience God on a deeper level. I don't feel that leaving the Church again is a viable option for me. Any changes that may need to be made won't happen if everybody leaves. I have no quarrel with anyone who has left the Catholic Church. I wish them peace and God's blessings on their life's journey.

November 26, 2011 at 9:39 pm |
    • N

God is a "her".

November 26, 2011 at 9:57 pm |
    • Doh, me noose vo bis coomb.

And Jesus was really her daughter.

November 26, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  14. Mez

I'm amazed that so many atheists believe that the universe can come into existence under extremely improbable conditions, but the probability of a god doing all of that is out of the question. Now, I admit I was agnostic up until a couple years ago, and the weird thing is that science actually brought me back to theism.

What I'm getting at is, as a species, we barely scratched the surface as to what is possible or impossible. Quantum mechanics demonstrates several examples (but I won't get into all that lol). You should expose yourself to things you oppose in order to understand why people follow such practices (disregarding those that are just told to believe and don't question it). Many atheists (not all) think ALL religious people are completely ignorant toward scientific reasoning and logic, which is not the case. In short, atheists have as much faith in no god as theists (or deists) have in a god. [just think about it, don't judge me so quickly on that last statement]

I respect all that come to rational decision; I merely want people to observe everything. Sorry, I may not have explained my point clearly enough and hopefully didn't sound preachy.

November 26, 2011 at 9:38 pm |
    • Colin

Mez – religious people believe that god just popped into existence (or its functioan equivalent, "was always there"). Even if one accepts the flawed logic that some kind of creator-god popped into existence and created the Universe, how in hell do you get from there to humans surviving their own physical deaths and living happily ever after in heaven (or frying in hell)?

November 26, 2011 at 9:46 pm |
    • Mez

Maybe the Bible or Quran is written in common vernacular because it would be extremely hard for people back then to understand (i do believe that a lot of verses are probably changed over the course of history but are relatively accurate...again not ALL of them). Imagine trying to teach a 2 year old Calculus II. That's what I'm saying about the scriptures. We don't understand or have a concept as to what heaven and hell are scientifically because at the moment, it is too advanced or just not conceived of yet. What we read in the scriptures is, i guess, a "dumbed-down" and brief explanation. Again, just a philosophical theory one can produce...in this case me lol

November 26, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
    • TR6

“In short, atheists have as much faith in no god as theists (or deists) have in a god.”

No! I have evidence for my disbelief. I do not believe you have evidence for your belief. I will give one example. In the bible jesus is quoted several times as saying the if you have enough faith and pray for something, god will grant it.

In all of history, tens of thousands of Christians have lost limbs and hundreds of thousands of Christians have prayed for them to be made hole; but, this has never, ever happened. Do you want to tell me that none of the Christians in those hundreds of thousands of prayers did not have enough faith (not even as big as a mustard sead)? Do you want to tell me that none of the tens of thousands of amputees did not have enough belief for god to help them?

November 26, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
    • tallulah13

It's fairly simple. There is no proof of any god. There is no need for any god. The mechanisms that created the universe are unknown, but that doesn't mean they will always be unknown. Discoveries about the natural world are being made every day.

There is an outside chance that evidence may be found that would indicate the existence of a god, but until that evidence is produced, there is no reason to accept as fact what is essentially mythology.

November 27, 2011 at 12:14 am |
  15. fda

I would like to share with all of you my favorite prayer. Well two actually.

Dear God, Bless me with the serenity to accept the things I cannot Change,
    The courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

St. Micheal the Archangel, defend us in battle,
    Be our safeguard against the wickness and snares of the devil.
    May God rebuke him; we humbly pray
    and cast down into h3ll, satan and all the evil spirits
    who roam the world seeking the ruins of souls.

November 26, 2011 at 9:24 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

No one cares about your favorite prayer.

November 26, 2011 at 9:25 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own – a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. It is enough for me to contemplate the mystery of conscious life perpetuating itself through all eternity, to reflect upon the marvelous structure of the universe which we can dimly perceive and to try humbly to comprehend even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in Nature."

Albert

November 26, 2011 at 9:28 pm |
    • fda

Hi Tom Tom, what is it about me that you so zealously hat3? Have I offended you in someway? Do you know me and have you walked in my shoes before? What is it about me that forces you to express such warranted and undiscriminate hat3 against a fellow hom0 sapiens who is for the most part the same as you? Doing the same thing as you are... expressing an opinion. Why do you feel the need to object to anything and everything I have to say?

November 26, 2011 at 9:32 pm |

Tom Tom, if I may:
      fda, that is just HER way of saying you are a boring, uneducated moron.

November 26, 2011 at 9:34 pm |
    • fda

I bet it just infuriates you Ungodly to know that Jesus Christ was the son of God. And Albert Einstein was not.

November 26, 2011 at 9:35 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What offends me about you fda? The fact that you are an unabashed liar, fraud, and phony. You aren't anything like the Christ you claim to worship. You aren't anything like the Christians I know who wouldn't be caught dead on this site, braying about their qualifications as interpreters of God's word. What offends me about you? YOU, you little hypocrite. Get off here and go DO SOMETHING WORTHWHILE. Stop spewing about your beliefs and go live them. Stop yapping about others and go set an example for them. Stop flapping your stupid gums about your degrees, your jobs, and your idiotic beliefs and go do something in the world that matters instead of sitting on your azz and typing. THAT'S what offends me.

Got it now?

November 26, 2011 at 9:42 pm |
    • jacquelinezr

Very nice... Thanks for sharing your prayers.

November 26, 2011 at 9:44 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

And really, what a friggin' idiot you are. You meant "unwarranted hate" but you don't know the difference between the word "warranted" and "unwarranted", yet you claim to be better educated than I am?

You are an idiot.

November 26, 2011 at 9:44 pm |
    • fda

So its my right to write an opinion that offends you then?

November 26, 2011 at 9:50 pm |
    • fda

and actually I intended to write warranted hate. It implies that you have some type of unearned and pompous and unelected sense of ownership to expel that feeling.

November 26, 2011 at 9:51 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Ahahha. Thank you, fda, for proving my point. There's no possible way you have anything more than an associate degree from a community college–and an inferior one at that.

Good luck getting a paper published without hiring a ghost writer, you fake.

November 26, 2011 at 9:54 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

fda burps:. It implies that you have some type of unearned and pompous and unelected sense of ownership to expel that feeling.
      -----
      Translate this, please. Thanks in advance.

November 26, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

fda, if I don't believe in God, how could I be infuriated by something that has anything to do with God? Logic much?

November 26, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
    • fda

Well now that you want my opinion. I apologize for any literary mistakes I make. It is true, whenever I write ANYTHING, I normally have an editor to read over my writings.
      Many people don't value first draft, second draft and final draft of reports. But newspapers do, authors do. In fact, I am not aware of any instances other than blogging where the abscene of an editor would not be required.
      Are you TomTom?

November 26, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

fda vomits: In fact, I am not aware of any instances other than blogging where the abscene of an editor would not be required.
      ------
      Again, translation into English, please? Thanks in advance.

November 26, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, and yes, I am Tom Tom. Did you mean to ask something else? If so, try inserting a comma. That is, try inserting a comma into your sentence, fda, as opposed to sticking it up your butt.

November 26, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
    • EuphoriCrest

Thank you, fda. Here's another good one::

Hail Marinara, full of garlic
      the Pasta is with thee.
      Blessed art thou among sauces
      and blessed are the Parmesan Cheeses!
      Holy Marinara, mother of Pasta,
      we pray as you simmer
      Now and at the hour of our dinner.

R'amen

November 26, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
    • tallulah13

I would like to share one of my favorite prayers with you:

Conan: Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

November 27, 2011 at 12:16 am |
  16. Admirer of John XXIII

I'm Catholic but I can't understand, as many in my parish have expressed, why we are doing this? The words we have been saying are fine with us. Pope John XXIII, who initiated the Second Vatical Council, was one of the greatest popes who lived. People from all walks of life and other religions saw him as a friend, someone who made you feel that you were important. He was a good listener and didn't try to force his beliefs on everyone he met. Some say he was "radical", but they also implied that Jesus was "radical". That's why they wanted to get rid of Him. There are so many other issues in the Church we should be concerned about. We're losing more people every day – I know we're not alone – many religions are losing members as well. I feel that the priests and nuns are more accessible now (please – I'm not speaking of those who have committed horrible crimes and caused disgrace to the Church). Next they'll have the priest turn his back to us again, and so on and so forth. Some of us have thought this is only a diversionary move. God is good and I do believe words have been changed in the bible to suit the wants and needs of mankind. I guess I could be excommunicated for saying this – but – there it is.

November 26, 2011 at 9:21 pm |

Who cares.

November 26, 2011 at 9:29 pm |

I do.

November 26, 2011 at 9:33 pm |

I care.

November 26, 2011 at 9:34 pm |
    • jacquelinezr

I care too.

November 26, 2011 at 9:45 pm |

fda, bullshirt.

November 26, 2011 at 9:46 pm |
    • Catholic Monk

Admirer, the reason the church is doing this is to bring us into a more uniform mass with the rest of the world. When the Latin was originally translated, most romance languages got the translation correct the first time. The words we will use have been used in languages such as Italian, Spanish, German, French, etc since Vatican II. But to translate from Latin to English is supremely difficult, which is why the church translates from Latin to Greek to English, hence the mistakes. This has been discussed by the Vatican for some time, and is finally be integrated. This is not just the mass, but also the Bible translation as well.

November 26, 2011 at 9:47 pm |
    • N

Ca Monk,
      You have not a clue what you are talking about. I had 6 years of Latin, and it is not especially, or any more difficult, to translate than any other language. And the RC does not first translate to Greek. Where did you get that one ?

November 26, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
    • N

And why would a supreme being care what words they use, or if they are "all the same" ? What nonsense.

November 26, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  17. Drew

the Mass changed in english, but it won't have to change in mnay other languages, as they did not chenge the translation from latin. Polish language mass for example stays the same.

November 26, 2011 at 9:16 pm |
  18. citizenmn

CNN, stop running stories on this horrible excuse of a church. The Catholic church does not represent true Christianity; it is distorted interpretation brought to the world by child abusing clergy and their Hitler Youth pope.

November 26, 2011 at 9:11 pm |
    • Catholic Monk

Ma'am, to call the Catholic priests "child abuse clergy" clearly demonstrates how little you know about the Catholic Church. Do you know that less than 1% of priests have ever abused a child? I know that even one abused child is too much, but the world attacks the Catholic Church because they don't understand why priests, monks and nuns have to be celibate. On another note, do you believe little league coaches are child molesters? Because a significantly higher percentage, 10-15% annually each of sports coaches, boy scout leaders, non-catholic youth group leaders, and teachers molest children, but you don't attack them.

November 26, 2011 at 9:51 pm |
  19. Ungodly Discipline

Have you ever thought about the offering plate in church? If God is real, why do they have to pass it? If you read these verses in the Bible, you can see that God claims to be extremely powerful and willing to answer any prayer:

• Matthew 7:7
    • Matthew 17:20
    • Matthew 21:21
    • Mark 11:24
    • John 14:12-14
    • Matthew 18:19
    • Mark 9:23
    • Luke 1:37

Now consider this: Why don't the priests, preachers, ministers and deacons of the church gather together every Sunday morning and pray to Jesus for the money they need? Why doesn't Jesus answer their prayers? Why do churches have to beg for money from mere mortals when there is an immortal, all-powerful God who should provide anything they ask for? Here is what "God" is saying:

Pray to me for anything and I will hear and answer your prayers. I say it in dozens of places in the Bible, but I like the way I say it in Mark 11:24 the best: "Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." Anything you need - money, love, happiness, you name it - I am here to provide it for you.

Now, there is just one thing I need in return. I need your money. I need lots of your money. The Bible specifies that you ti-the ten percent of your income to me, but think of that as a starting point. Feel free to give more!

Because even though I created the universe and everything in it, and even though I will give you everything you ask for in prayer, I can't give a cent to any church, ever. When they pass the offering plate at church, be sure to give generously!

This, of course, is ridiculous.

The reason why they pass the offering plate at church is because God is imaginary.

November 26, 2011 at 9:07 pm |

November 26, 2011 at 9:16 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Have you figured out the difference between "prayer" and "pray", fda? Learned how to spell names yet?

What a friggin' fraud you are, you little dweeb.

November 26, 2011 at 9:18 pm |
    • fda

God Bless Tom Tom. May Jesus shine his light on you.

November 26, 2011 at 9:19 pm |
    • crazyvermont

God certainly doesn't need our money but I give to help needs around the world. 96% of our denominations fund to Compassionate Ministries goes directly to the need whether Haiti or other world disasters. Don't think you find too many secular organizations with that type of efficiencies. As far as mythical God, you'll find when you truly seek, not when selectively finding scriptures to prove God doesn't exist.

November 26, 2011 at 9:19 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I hope he blesses you with a brain, you moronic twit.

November 26, 2011 at 9:26 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

You are missing the point of course. If prayer works and God is real and all powerful there would be no need for money, suffering, etc. You are so stupid.

November 26, 2011 at 9:31 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

fda said "HA glad ya changed the quote from your last comment. Didn't try that one again did you?"

I don't understand this comment. Please explain and I will reply.

November 26, 2011 at 9:33 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I didn't imagine there was anyone less literate than Higgy. Thanks for providing insight into the depths of ignorance, fda.

November 26, 2011 at 9:56 pm |
  20. Reality

Way beyond the minor changes in an archaic ritual:

• There was no Abraham i.e. the foundations of Judaism, Christianity and Islam are non-existent.

• There was no Moses i.e the pillars of Judaism, Christianity and Islam have no strength of purpose.

• There was no Easter i.e. Christianity completely fails as a religion.

• There was no Moroni i.e. Mormonism is nothing more than a business cult.

• Fat Buddhas here, skinny Buddhas there, reincarnated Buddhas everywhere makes for a no on Buddhism.

November 26, 2011 at 8:57 pm |
    • Mycology

I'm okay with people believing in, worshipping, or living their lives according to the wishes of their invisible sky fairies / jewish zombies (Jesus Christ) / hallucinating madmen in the desert (mohammed), or whoever

As long as that faith / religion / cult does not interfere with me and my life or my civilization.

Unfortunately, the cult of islam is making life very difficult for buddhists, christians, hindus, jews, ahteists, and anyone that wants to convert OUT of the cult.

November 26, 2011 at 9:17 pm |
    • crazyvermont

I find it fumy that the non believers have such a tough time acceptance my beliefs and will go to great lengths to dispute while accepting any other kind of lifestyle:) Must be very intimidating...........

November 26, 2011 at 9:23 pm |

"intimidating"? Hardly.

November 26, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
    • AGeek

If the worst thing you can come up with about Buddhism is statue imagery, I don't know if I'd push that as a "no go". At least Buddhists aren't pushing their stuff down everyone's throat like the Abrahamaic folks.

November 27, 2011 at 6:43 am |