home
RSS
Joel Osteen developing reality show with 'Survivor' producer
Joel Osteen is developing a reality show that will feature members of his Houston, Texas, megachurch.
November 30th, 2011

Joel Osteen developing reality show with 'Survivor' producer

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Joel Osteen, who leads the largest church in the United States and reaches millions of Americans through his televised Sunday sermons, is developing a reality show with the producer of “Survivor,” the televangelist said Tuesday.

Osteen has signed a deal with famed reality TV producer Mark Burnett to develop the show, a spokeswoman for Joel Osteen Ministries said.

"Victoria (Osteen's wife) and I are looking forward to working with Mark Burnett on this project,” Osteen said in a statement Tuesday.

“We have great respect for Mark and we know that the finished product will not only entertain but will illustrate the generosity and selflessness that is a hallmark of the American people," he said.

Osteen said the yet-to-be-named series would not resemble a typical reality show.

“In my mind, when I think of ‘reality’ (show), I think of cameras following you doing nothing,” Osteen said, according to CNN Houston affiliate KHOU. “But this is more ‘Extreme (Makeover: Home Edition).’ We’re going with a purpose - with a mission.”

Osteen said the show would feature members of his Lakewood Church in Houston, Texas - the country’s largest congregation - helping others.

“We would take a group of 300-500 people from this auditorium, from our ministry and go somewhere in the world - probably in the U.S. to start - but just to help a place in need,” Osteen said, according to KHOU. “A place hit by a tornado. Maybe a run-down neighborhood.”

The show is in early stages of development and hasn’t yet been picked up by a network, said Andrea Davis, a spokeswoman for Joel Osteen Ministries.

“(Osteen) had been approached for a number of years by different networks with ideas along the same kind of lines but it just didn’t come together,” she said.

Joel and Victoria Osteen befriended Burnett and his wife, Roma Downey, about a year ago, Davis said. The Burnetts have visited Lakewood to worship and the Osteens have visited Burnett and Downey in Los Angeles.

“But their friendship developed and it seemed to really gel - the idea that Mark had and what was on Joel’s heart,” Davis said. “(Osteen) had a desire to do something like this ... that’s reflective of Joel’s core message of hope and inspiration.”

Osteen’s 16,000-seat church is located in the former Compaq Center in Houston.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity • Leaders • TV

1. Patrick Gauthier

One heck of a scam this church, just like all the others..... all and everything for money.....

November 30, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • PJ

I agree. I can't understand this brand of Christianity. I thought Jesus was a carpenter and hung out with the poor people. Every time I turn on the T.V. I hear these people saying that "God has a plan for you to be prosperous." and asking people to buy their books and CD's so they could make money. What does money have anything to do with what Jesus taught about?

November 30, 2011 at 7:37 pm |
  2. esailor

I also would like to point out that most people who do not have faith express very angry postings when it comes to any religious story often targeting the church or religious people. I ask those people to respect differences in beliefs. I also ask anyone who is a critic to watch one sermon of his on TV and then give their critique. Thank you.

November 30, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • Satan

Bwahahahahahahahahaaaaa

November 30, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • Bullmack

What a joke....

November 30, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • Chaz

well said. So many misguided people with misguided anger. Yes, Joel Osteen is "Christianity Lite" when it comes to sermons, but at least he doesn't preach Hate. I pray he starts using the words Jesus and Cross more. His ministries ARE helping others as the congressional inquiry found. It seems that most people who hate him, hate him because he is blessed financially for his works. They can't handle that jealousy. Listen up everyone, Jesus and Salvation are free! If you can't finger out how to receive something that is FREE, please go somewhere else. I don't comment on worldly topics designed for you, like how the stock market this etc....so have some respect and don't post here. It just comes down to manners and FAITH

November 30, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
    • Akira

I will happily do as you suggest when him stops asking for money, until that day I will be as critical of him as I wish, the Lord Jesus was very clear about the rich and the religious leaders who asked for attention and privileges and for me Osteen clearly fails to live by Jesus teachings...oh, he certainly can talk the talk, some of his speeches are very inspirational and wise, but walk the walk? no, he is not doing that...and making a reality show with he and his church helping somebody? that its totally against Bible teachings, real charity must be discrete, the Lord Jesus said those who reap the rewards of its good deeds her on earth will receive nothing on the afterlife, so mister Osteen will play the good Samaritan on TV for money and fame, well for me is fine and I am happy for the people who will receive the help.....but I believe God won´t give him any additional credit for that on the Heaven.. Osteen probably won´t care since like may other televangelists he seems to be obsessed with money, then again, that is fine with me, is his money and is his soul, as well as the money and the souls of those who believe on him, just don´t expect any of my money or my respect...and certainly I am free to criticize his public actions, is a free county and he opened the door to it with his public exposition ...judgment is another thing, that I leave to God, at difference off him I not presume to have the true interpretation of His/Her wishes.

December 4, 2011 at 11:44 pm |
  3. esailor

I am of a different denomination than Osteen but I find his messages inspirational. I am not sure anyone can disagree with his basic messages of helping out those in need, work hard to be the best person you can be, and believe that God loves you. With all the garbage on television these days, I am happy to see him try something positive. I like shows like Extreme Home Makeover, and others like it. Unfortunately, there have been some bad TV ministers who have done some pretty terrible things. I don't believe Joel is one of them. I find it funny that a lot of people here are criticizing him for making money. Meanwhile pro-athletes who stomp their opponents get $60 Million and no one blinks an eye.

Kudos to Mr. and Mrs. Osteen.

Sal

November 30, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • jo an

His words are just that...WORDS...

November 30, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  4. Britt

If all he is after is more money, (which I would hope not) then let God be the ultimate judge. Its no ones position, here, to decide his ultimate goal. If he says he's doing it for a greater purpose, then take it for what it is. If u don't like it, take it with a grain of salt. Otherwise, be supportive! 🙂

November 30, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
    • Anita Bleaujob

No god, no judgement. People must be judged here and now.

November 30, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • Herbie verStinks

@Anita Bleaujob
      I'll second that!

November 30, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
  5. candy23

I dont understand this????????????? He is making all this money and wants to do a show now he is not being real

November 30, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
  6. Marie

His messages have always been a little syrupy for my liking. Osteen makes it sound like all you have to do is trust God and He will clear the path for you to be happy, healthy, and successful. Simply not true. Bad things do happen to good people, in spite of their faith and trust in God.

November 30, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • Chaz

he is "Christianity Lite"

November 30, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
    • NOTW

No kidding, if God shows His love by blessing us with health and wealth, He must have really hated Paul and the rest of the Apostles for that matter.

November 30, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
  7. flyonthewall

......and only "christians" have ever ever ever employed this means of gaining money and power?

November 30, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
  8. Cesa

This man will do anything to get his face on TV. This will be a 30 minute commercial for his books, CD's, and speaking engagements in which he pockets all the money.

November 30, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • Vivi

Maybe he will sell his product but I would rather watch a community get help than a bunch of mother whoring out their daughters in pageants, or half naked idiots running around on an island or at the Jersey Shore.

November 30, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
  9. George Costanza

If Seinfeld and Kramer had a baby, it would look like this guy.

November 30, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • Rom

Wow – I think you are right 🙂

November 30, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
  10. Sam Rupani

Good Afternoon:

What goes up must comes down.

In the field of religion be careful.

There is one out there that can get you.

Jim and Tammy show and many others came and gone....

Be careful.

Thanks

Sam Rupani

Houston, Texas

November 30, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
  11. Yeesh

Stupid creepy crap

November 30, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
  12. Tom

How cynical this world has become. From this news post alone and nothing else at least half the comments are this is just a scam for Joel to make more money...its for greed...its for power...REALLY? And you know this for FACT how? Granted ANYONE (and by anyone ...yes I'm even talking about *YOU*) can be a con artist....but at least , before you have verified and quality information proving otherwise, someone seemingly doing a decent thing deserves the benefit of doubt first.

And BTW.... things cost money - yes even when you are non-profit or even if you are a church....the mortgage and utilitiy companies still don't accept praise or good deeds as valid forms of payments. Food still costs money ....insurance still costs money, etc.

Finally I find it most odd on people that rip others a new one with such cyncial disdain as if there's always a hidden agenda to helping others....sure it happens...and I'm not blind to the fact that people in this world do take advantage....but what do YOU do for your fellow man? Do you volunteer at shelters? Do you participate in community outreach or clean up projects? If you do I applaud you...if you DON'T though....you really don't have the right to judge anyone else then....

November 30, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
    • warmesTghosT

Religion is a scam. It's about money and power. This man has made millions selling the lie that is Christianity, retarding societal progress by propagating ridiculous anti-science beliefs, and disregarding the words of his own messiah by amassing so much material wealth.

I'd respect the hell out of him (even though he's a preacher) if he gave away everything he had except that which he needed for himself and his family to survive. It's very, very clear to me and several others here that any "megachurch" millionaire pastor is quite patently NOT living Jesus' message.

November 30, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • Jewelgirl12

Tom,
      Great reponse! Our Church partnered with some of the other local Churches in our community and together we served over 20,000 homeless and needy on Thanksgiving Day. No one got paid...after being let go from my position in January of 2009 I don't even make a 3rd of my salary and my husband is retired...but my Husband still shopped and took a full box of groceries to help supply the shelters for the homeless last week. The comments on this site break my heart.

November 30, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • TheTruthFairy

@Tom
      "And if you are working hard (and doing so legally) ....you DESERVE to get paid..YES!! Even if your "job" is a pastor/preacher.."

If you think what Joel does for a 'living" justifies his opulent lifestyle, I think you should read your bible a bit more.

November 30, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • Alfonzo Muchanzo

Couldn't have said it better myself. Watch out though, hippypoet and other trolls will surely criticize you, or better yet, they might just ignore you since you make a valid and logical post. Rational and moderate posts tend to get little response bc the trolls only love to reply to extremes to make themselves feel more intelligent. Cheers 🙂

November 30, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
    • hippypoet

alfonzo – why do you project unto others like that? By naming someone and then calling them a troll is rather backwards... i already posted on this article and i believe it to be nothing less then a money making scheme... Me thinks you need people to talk to you so you feel less alone then what you really are.

go find a mirror and get chatting! if you do some acid the mirror can be the best place to be!

November 30, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
    • I'm The Best!

We aren't responding because warmestTghosT already pointed out what we were all thinking.

Way to ignore his post though!

November 30, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
  13. REBECCA

I am FURIOUS with all this Christian bashing, Every single one of you will stand before the judgement seat of Christ. I am a bit confused by a game, but maybe it will be used to help all the hurting people in this nation and the world. We have been bombarded by natural more than any time in history. I hope he preaches the word which everyone needs to hear, He is full of Christs love

November 30, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
    • Hey Rebecca - Shut Up

Hey Rebecca – SHUT UP!

November 30, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • I Don't Get It

Why did Christ make Osteen look like a grinning ferret?

November 30, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
    • LonelyBoy

If judgement day happend tomorrow, it would take jesus over 13000 years to pass judgement on all of us if it took a minute per person. Do you think he would still be an impartial judge after a couple of years, or do you think he'd just start reberstamping us to get it over with.

S
      U
      C
      K

I
      T

Rebecca!

November 30, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • D

Rebecca, Amen!

December 1, 2011 at 1:10 pm |
  14. Reality

Ending the need for this blog in less than 110 words:

• There probably was no Abraham i.e. the foundations of Judaism, Christianity and Islam are non-existent.

• There probably was no Moses i.e the pillars of Judaism, Christianity and Islam have no strength of purpose.

• There was no Easter i.e. Christianity completely fails as a religion (as does Osteen).

• There was no Moroni i.e. Mormonism is nothing more than a business cult.

• Fat Buddhas here, skinny Buddhas there, reincarnated Buddhas everywhere makes for a no on Buddhism.

November 30, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
    • dave

@Reality: well done. I can do that too.
      There was no Reality's mother, therefore Reality doesn't exist.
      Poof! By your logic, you no longer exist. Peace.

November 30, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
    • Tom

Oh wise one....thanks for radiating your clarity and wisdom down upon me.....it has enlightened me.....I was asleep but now I'm awake...I was blind but now I see......and after a life of nearly 40 years spent devoted to my beliefs you summed it all up and turned me around with your single post....

...........

November 30, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • What IF

Tom,
      I was a fairly devout believer for nearly 50 years. No, one post will not totally change your mind, but if you are interested in realism, the acc-umulation of knowledge is essential. If not, well then, nevermind.

November 30, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • mimi_nef

You're an idiot and you make all non-believers look like idiots. If you can't make a reasonable, valid argument, keep your mouth shut.

Listen up: This is how you make a reasonable valid argument...

In all the years of recorded history, not once has anything supernatural ever been proven. In all the years that human beings have been thinking, rational, sentient beings, no one has ever proven (quantifiable, valid, repeatable, scientific) that anything supernatural has ever existed. Never. Not once. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

Never.

Show me one piece of evidence that anything supernatural exists. Then we will believe. Until then, you're just following the commands of ancient people you don't know concerning a deity that is non-existent. Faith is just wishful thinking.

The vast majority of Christians are good, kind people with good intentions. Their faith is based on hope that life offers more than they see every day. The crappy "Christians" who are judgmental, angry zealous bigots are in the minority.

I am not a believer, but the vast majority of my monetary donations go to churches. I don't believe in a god, but I believe in the good intention of believers.

Do I wish they would open their eyes and think for themselves? Yes. I do. However, it's not my business how they lead their lives. Until their misguided beliefs encroach upon my life in a negative way, I have no quarrel with them.

Long story short: It's true that there is no god, but mind your own business and be kind to your fellow man, no matter how erroneous their viewpoint.

November 30, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • Rom

mimi_nef – well said.

November 30, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
    • NOTW

There is no God or higher power? Answer this for me. The Universe just exploded into existence, time just radomly began and there was nothing before this event? IDoesnt everything in our Universe point to a start.

November 30, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • What IF

NOTW,

Short and probably unsatisfying-to-you answer - We Don't Know (yet)... until then, the default / fall-back answer is not a lazy, "A God Did It"... not even the one dreamed up by Middle Eastern Hebrews a couple of thousand years ago.

November 30, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • Reality

Saving Christians from the Infamous Resurrection Con/Disease:

From that famous passage: In 1 Corinthians 15 St. Paul reasoned, "If Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith."

To wit;

From a major Catholic university's theology professor’s grad school white-board notes:

Jesus and Mary's bodies are therefore not in Heaven.

Only Luke's Gospel records it. The Assumption ties Jesus' mission to Pentecost and missionary activity of Jesus' followers The Assumption has multiple layers of symbolism, some are related to Mary's special role as "Christ bearer" (theotokos). It does not seem fitting that Mary, the body of Jesus' Virgin-Mother (another biblically based symbol found in Luke 1) would be derived by worms upon her death. Mary's assumption also shows God's positive regard, not only for Christ's male body, but also for female bodies." "

The Vatican quickly embellished this story with a lot CYAP.

Of course, we all know that angels are really mythical "pretty wingie talking thingies".

With respect to rising from the dead, we also have this account:

An added note: As per R.B. Stewart in his introduction to the recent book, The Resurrection of Jesus, Crossan and Wright in Dialogue,

p.4

p.168. by Ted Peters:

Even so, asking historical questions is our responsibility. Did Jesus really rise from the tomb? Is it necessary to have been raised from the tomb and to appear to his disciples in order to explain the rise of early church and the transcription of the bible? Crossan answers no, Wright answers, yes. "

So where are the bones"? As per Professor Crossan's analyses in his many books, the body of Jesus would have ended up in the mass graves of the crucified, eaten by wild dogs, covered with lime in a shallow grave, or under a pile of stones.

November 30, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
    • Reality

Saving Christians like Osteen from the Infamous Resurrection/Easter Con/Disease:

To wit;

Jesus and Mary's bodies are therefore not in Heaven.

The Vatican quickly embellished this story with a lot CYAP.

With respect to rising from the dead, we also have this account:

p.4

p.168. by Ted Peters:

November 30, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
    • Reality

Only for the those interested in a religious update:

1. origin: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F20E1EFE35540C7A8CDDAA0894DA404482

“New Torah For Modern Minds

Abraham, the Jewish patriarch, probably never existed. Nor did Moses. The entire Exodus story as recounted in the Bible probably never occurred. The same is true of the tumbling of the walls of Jericho. And David, far from being the fearless king who built Jerusalem into a mighty capital, was more likely a provincial leader whose reputation was later magnified to provide a rallying point for a fledgling nation.

Such startling propositions – the product of findings by archaeologists digging in Israel and its environs over the last 25 years – have gained wide acceptance among non-Orthodox rabbis. But there has been no attempt to disseminate these ideas or to discuss them with the laity – until now.

The United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, which represents the 1.5 million Conservative Jews in the United States, has just issued a new Torah and commentary, the first for Conservatives in more than 60 years. Called "Etz Hayim" ("Tree of Life" in Hebrew), it offers an interpretation that incorporates the latest findings from archaeology, philology, anthropology and the study of ancient cultures. To the editors who worked on the book, it represents one of the boldest efforts ever to introduce into the religious mainstream a view of the Bible as a human rather than divine docu-ment. “

2. Jesus was an illiterate Jewish peasant/carpenter/simple preacher man who suffered from hallucinations (or “mythicizing” from P, M, M, L and J) and who has been characterized anywhere from the Messiah from Nazareth to a mythical character from mythical Nazareth to a ma-mzer from Nazareth (Professor Bruce Chilton, in his book Rabbi Jesus). An-alyses of Jesus’ life by many contemporary NT scholars (e.g. Professors Ludemann, Crossan, Borg and Fredriksen, ) via the NT and related doc-uments have concluded that only about 30% of Jesus' sayings and ways noted in the NT were authentic. The rest being embellishments (e.g. miracles)/hallucinations made/had by the NT authors to impress various Christian, Jewish and Pagan sects.

The 30% of the NT that is "authentic Jesus" like everything in life was borrowed/plagiarized and/or improved from those who came before. In Jesus' case, it was the ways and sayings of the Babylonians, Greeks, Persians, Egyptians, Hitt-ites, Canaanites, OT, John the Baptizer and possibly the ways and sayings of traveling Greek Cynics.

earlychristianwritings.com/theories.html

For added "pizzazz", Catholic theologians divided god the singularity into three persons and invented atonement as an added guilt trip for the "pew people" to go along with this trinity of overseers. By doing so, they made god the padre into god the "filicider".

Current RCC problems:

Pedophiliac priests, an all-male, mostly white hierarchy, atonement theology and original sin!!!!

2 b., Luther, Calvin, Joe Smith, Henry VIII, Wesley, Roger Williams, the Great “Babs” et al, founders of Christian-based religions or combination religions also suffered from the belief in/hallucinations of "pretty wingie thingie" visits and "prophecies" for profits analogous to the myths of Catholicism (resurrections, apparitions, ascensions and immacu-late co-nceptions).

Current problems:
      Adulterous preachers, pedophiliac clerics, "propheteering/ profiteering" evangelicals and atonement theology,

3. Mohammed was an illiterate, womanizing, lust and greed-driven, warmongering, hallucinating Arab, who also had embellishing/hallucinating/plagiarizing scribal biographers who not only added "angels" and flying chariots to the koran but also a militaristic agenda to support the plundering and looting of the lands of non-believers.

This agenda continues as shown by the ma-ssacre in Mumbai, the as-sas-sinations of Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh, the conduct of the seven Muslim doctors in the UK, the 9/11 terrorists, the 24/7 Sunni suicide/roadside/market/mosque bombers, the 24/7 Shiite suicide/roadside/market/mosque bombers, the Islamic bombers of the trains in the UK and Spain, the Bali crazies, the Kenya crazies, the Pakistani “koranics”, the Palestine suicide bombers/rocketeers, the Lebanese nutcases, the Taliban nut jobs, the Ft. Hood follower of the koran, and the Filipino “koranics”.

And who funds this muck and stench of terror? The warmongering, Islamic, Shiite terror and torture theocracy of Iran aka the Third Axis of Evil and also the Sunni "Wannabees" of Saudi Arabia.

Current crises:

The Sunni-Shiite blood feud and the warmongering, womanizing (11 wives), hallucinating founder.

5. Hinduism (from an online Hindu site) – "Hinduism cannot be described as an organized religion. It is not founded by any individual. Hinduism is God centered and therefore one can call Hinduism as founded by God, because the answer to the question ‘Who is behind the eternal principles and who makes them work?’ will have to be ‘Cosmic power, Divine power, God’."

The caste/laborer system, reincarnation and cow worship/reverence are problems when saying a fair and rational God founded Hinduism."

Current problems:

The caste system, reincarnation and cow worship/reverence.

6. Buddhism- "Buddhism began in India about 500 years before the birth of Christ. The people living at that time had become disillusioned with certain beliefs of Hinduism including the caste system, which had grown extremely complex. The number of outcasts (those who did not belong to any particular caste) was continuing to grow."

"However, in Buddhism, like so many other religions, fanciful stories arose concerning events in the life of the founder, Siddhartha Gautama (fifth century B.C.):"

Archaeological discoveries have proved, beyond a doubt, his historical character, but apart from the legends we know very little about the circu-mstances of his life. e.g. Buddha by one legend was supposedly talking when he came out of his mother's womb.

Bottom line: There are many good ways of living but be aware of the hallucinations, embellishments, lies, and myths surrounding the founders and foundations of said rules of life.

Then, apply the Five F rule: "First Find the Flaws, then Fix the Foundations". And finally there will be religious peace and religious awareness in the world!!!!!

November 30, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
    • mimi_nef

To What IF... Correct. Just because you don't know something means you should make up an answer that makes you feel good. That's silly and childish.

Man created gods in his image to explain things for which science and technology had not yet found the answer. Eventually, religion will go away, because science will develop enough to explain all the 'mysteries' of life.

Until then, just be nice. No matter what people's beliefs, just be nice.

November 30, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
  15. Pan3

The show sounds as boring as his sermons...

November 30, 2011 at 1:14 pm |
    • Tom

so don't watch it....see problem solved.

November 30, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
  16. Jewelgirl12

Andy Anderson,
    I love how you don't believe but you use the Bible to defend your opinion!

November 30, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
  17. Jeff

I don't understand why people can't see through this scammer. He's Bernie Madoff with a big fake smile. His wife is an airhead.

November 30, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
  18. kat40915

Sick. I hate when "christians" use religion to gain money and power. Joel- you are the opposite of what Jesus taught. Hypocrite.

November 30, 2011 at 1:02 pm |
    • Rom

I agree with you to a certain extent – but he's closer to following the message of Jesus than any other television pastor I have ever seen – at least his message is not full of hate, and he does have something to say to inspire people to live their best.

November 30, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
  19. hippypoet

i bet this guy would resemble jesus a bit more if we nail he @ss to a giant wooden cross! I wonder thou if then his following would created a religion steming from him and his homage death...interesting i think.

November 30, 2011 at 1:01 pm |