home
RSS
New Perry ad derides Obama's 'war on religion'
December 7th, 2011

New Perry ad derides Obama's 'war on religion'

(CNN) – Rick Perry says that if he's elected president, he'll end what he calls President Barack Obama's "war on religion."

Perry makes the comments in a new TV commercial that's sure to create controversy.

"I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a Christian, but you don't need to be in the pew every Sunday to know there's something wrong in this country when gays can serve openly in the military but our kids can't openly celebrate Christmas or pray in school," says the Texas governor and Republican White House candidate.

"As President, I'll end Obama's war on religion. And I'll fight against liberal attacks on our religious heritage. Faith made America strong. It can make her strong again."

Read the full post on CNN's Political Ticker
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Barack Obama • Politics • Rick Perry

1. Semper Solacium Fidere

As an active duty service member, I have to admit when the appeal was first announced I was unsure on how it would affect the work environment; however I am pleased and honored that I could be a part of our nation’s military when it did occur, if for no other reason than that I have seldom seen the acceptance and openness that followed the decision. It is a rare an uncommon moment that we embrace our differences and worry not if it offends us. I am also as a Christian and have accepted this because I know it is what makes them happy. As for the practice of faith in the school or the work place, I only think the voicing of our own believes should be practiced in means of affirming ourselves, and not to shun the practices or believes of others.
    -Semper Solacium Fidere, Always help me Trust

December 10, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  2. Hello?

Where's Chad? I miss Chad. Chad? Hello?

December 9, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
  3. ImmigrantnamedmOhammedforhonorkillingtoatheist

On my eyes, others than me are infidels and according my blasphemy sharia law, must be punished by neck slash.

In this war there are no noncombatants. Not only are we all military targets in the eyes of our enemies, but we all take part in the fighting. Every opinion we form and express, every conclusion and argument we make, and particularly every vote we cast, influences our enemy and affects our collective will. We need to be aware of this.
    -Owen Johnson

December 8, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  4. tea party

agnostic myself and would vote for Perry...anyone over commy Obuma

December 8, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
    • Snow

Troll.. or a dumbo

December 8, 2011 at 9:18 pm |
    • captain america

canadian. Can't vote anyway.

December 9, 2011 at 7:59 am |
  5. HeavenSent

Heaven sent us tsunamis, earthquakes, floods, and other natural disasters, plus cancers, lupus, typhoid, malaria, and other diseases too numerous to mention, that have caused horrid suffering and death to millions of innocent people.

Wow, god must be quite the azzhole. He seems to be at war with humanity.

December 8, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
  6. jimbo

"there's something wrong in this country when gays can serve openly in the military but our kids can't openly celebrate Christmas or pray in school"
    Actually Rick, that is something right about this country.

December 8, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
  7. Bob

Let's not forget to do our daily bloody animal sacrifice, as the sicko Christian bible commands in lurid gory detail. Otherwise, your brutal sky fairy will smite you and torture you in hell forever.

No thanks. You can keep your sicko Christian supersti-tions. To yourself. Quietly, please.

December 8, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
  8. The Guy

Not that this guy had too much of a shot, but this ad 100% cost him the GOP nomination. People want something more mainstream, not more extreme. Way to blow it Rick Perry.

December 8, 2011 at 10:09 am |
  9. Brad

Listen for the politicians, to include the President, to proclaim that Jesus is the only begotten Son of God and the only way to the Father, and if they spread the Gospel. If they do not, you can just about count on them not being a true Christian believer. We have the Great Commission from the Lord to spread the Gospel. Our nation has done that in the past. What has happened now? There is only one Saviour and one way to Heaven and one way to the Father, and that is through His Son Jesus Christ. Show me clips of politicians saying that, instead of them, including the President, telling Americans to support what God has called abomination. God's love, Jesus' grace, and the Holy Spirit's fellowship – that's what I want to hear about. Seek God's face first, and our nation will be healed.

Just wanted to get this out there again. Let's all closely examine what is truly important, especially during the Christmas season.

December 8, 2011 at 9:22 am |
    • Bob

And Brad, let's not forget to do our daily bloody animal sacrifice, as the sicko Christian bible commands you to do in lurid gory detail. Otherwise, your brutal sky fairy will smite you and torture you in hell forever.

December 8, 2011 at 9:51 am |
    • Bob

I have a Saturday night ritual of dressing up like a black woman, standing on the street corner and blowing all the white men for $5.00 each.

December 8, 2011 at 9:54 am |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

Do us a favor and hasten your meeting with your "savior"

December 8, 2011 at 10:13 am |
    • The Guy

So Brad, when a buddhist, doaist, muslim, jew or hindi tells you the same thing you just did but replaces his "savior(s)" and "god(s)" for yours, how do you react?

December 8, 2011 at 10:21 am |
    • MarkinFL

Christianity is the problem not the solution. If "Christians" would finally try to follow Christs teachings (as they rarely have) then maybe they could become a relevant force for good.

December 8, 2011 at 10:31 am |

December 8, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Brad, please just tell me where heaven is located and where is God and why doesn't Jesus ever come around anymore? Back in the day you couldn't get rid of him. He'd be rising up from the dead scaring the crap out of people and all that. Where is hell? Prove any of this is true and then we can have a conversation about it. If it is just fantasy, I will stick with good stories like The Lord of the Rings for example. The Bible is an awful book to read.

December 8, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
  10. hesalive

I love Perry for trying to spread the gospel. Jesus, however, said that his kingdom is not of this world. Rather than involve ourselves in politics, Christians should get out there and live what they believe. That's what'll change the world, if it can be changed at this point. King Jesus will one day rule every government, but not in this life.

December 8, 2011 at 8:24 am |
    • Susan

"Christians should get out there and live what they believe."

That's a great point, Christians don't truly follow their Christ's example, they are full of greed, gluttony, adultery, they walk by the homeless, they're judgmental. Then you read what many of them are posting on this blog and it's full of lies. At least one thing is for sure they will be burning in hell just like the claims they make about others.

December 8, 2011 at 8:30 am |
    • LinCA

@Susan

You said, "Christians don't truly follow their Christ's example, they are full of greed, gluttony, adultery, they walk by the homeless, they're judgmental. Then you read what many of them are posting on this blog and it's full of lies. At least one thing is for sure they will be burning in hell just like the claims they make about others."

Does that mean that you think you'll be burning in hell, too?

December 8, 2011 at 8:34 am |
    • Yo!

"Does that mean that you think you'll be burning in hell, too?"

There is no hell but only in the mind of the delusional that need that fear in order to stay moral. LOL!

December 8, 2011 at 8:40 am |
    • Bob

Yeah, Susan, Christians really can't keep up with what god commands them to do. All that animal sacrificing would be hard work. Now, let's not forget to do our daily bloody animal sacrifice, as the sicko Christian bible commands us to do in lurid gory detail. Jesus did say the OT rules still apply.

If you don't follow those rules, then like you say, your brutal sky fairy will smite you and torture you in hell forever. Although any reasonable human court would consider that barbaric punishment.

December 8, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
  11. Brad

December 7, 2011 at 11:14 pm |
    • The Phist

Thanks for the laugh!

December 7, 2011 at 11:37 pm |
    • Ikkstans

Really? lol

December 7, 2011 at 11:38 pm |
    • MarkinFL

Good one! Now pull the other one....

December 8, 2011 at 10:36 am |
  12. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Perry will have my vote.

December 7, 2011 at 9:27 pm |
  13. Water to Whine

Politicians are decieving you about their political beliefs. Don't be fooled. They care less about religion than they do about getting votes from religious people. This goes for both parties.

December 7, 2011 at 9:23 pm |
  14. Pillar of Salt

WARNING: American politicians lying about their religious views. Hardly any of them are as religious (if at all) as they claim. THEY ARE JUST FISHING FOR VOTES from gullible Christian voters. I recommend that you pay attention to their policies and ignore their religious string pulling. But of course, voters who pay attention to political commercials rather than to actual politics shouldn't be voting in the first place.

December 7, 2011 at 9:19 pm |
  15. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I think it's hilarious watching Perry pander to the Christian nitwits. He'll say anything that he thinks will get him a vote from the right-wing-nuts.

December 7, 2011 at 7:14 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

If I could have 3 wishes, they would be the following:

1. A cold four pack of Boddington's
      2. A big bowl of peanuts
      3. To be a fly on the wall and listen to Perry and Dubya try to have a conversation about science one on one.

December 7, 2011 at 7:20 pm |

Bwah!

(Boddington's is one of husband's favorites.)

December 7, 2011 at 7:24 pm |
    • Leaf on the Wind

Husband? BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhahahahahaahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone actually married you?

GROSS!!!! I feel bad for that guy, I seriously do. He must look like a cross between Rhea Pearlman and Barbara Streisand with a little bit of George Stanza thrown in there.

December 7, 2011 at 7:35 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

It's the best! We finally got an Irish Pub in town so I can get it on tap!!

December 7, 2011 at 7:36 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Ooh Tom Tom, you must of hurt leafy's feelings at some point!

December 7, 2011 at 7:38 pm |

Good for you!

My husband and I were in England a few years ago, and that's where he discovered Boddington's.

December 7, 2011 at 7:39 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I don't doubt that I've upset Leafy. He/she picked a great screen name, though. Dumb as a plant, all right.

By the way, any idea who "George Stanza" is?

December 7, 2011 at 7:41 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Nope. Maybe the guy who prints sheet music?

December 7, 2011 at 8:04 pm |

*Applause*

December 7, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
    • George

Given his evangelical roots, I hardly think that he is pandering.

December 7, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

That's because you're blind, deaf, and moronic, George. If you think Perry believes what he's putting out there, you're too stupid to vote.

December 7, 2011 at 8:33 pm |

@Tom

"By the way, any idea who "George Stanza" is?"

It's called "having a life." You know, you ought to try it.

December 7, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
    • George

So now you call Christian conservatives dumb and want to take away their right to vote? Classy.

December 7, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

So you are clueless as to the boneheaded mistake, too, George? Quelle surprise. Have you figured out the difference between "its" and "it's" yet, or are you still struggling?

By the way, I don't want to deny ALL Christian conservatives the right to vote. Just the illiterate ones–like you.

December 7, 2011 at 8:46 pm |

*yawn*

So says the retard that thought it was the queen of commas earlier. Good looking out, princess.

December 7, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Poor George. You still haven't figured it out, have you?

UD, do you believe this?

Actually, I think herbie or Swain are trolling again. Babies must play.

December 7, 2011 at 8:59 pm |
    • Sheik Yerbouti

I cannot believe it.

December 7, 2011 at 9:01 pm |
    • All politicians are retarded

So Tom you're a female I assume? This is actually quite shocking to me considering I always pictured you as a man! (Don't take it personally. I just thought you were a man because of your screen name).

December 8, 2011 at 1:23 am |

Yes, I am female.

December 8, 2011 at 7:11 am |
  16. Hasa Diga Eebowai

As this country becomes more populated the christian taliban will shrink. Ignorance breeds very quickly when there is no outside influence.

December 7, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
  17. Hasa Diga Eebowai

he'll end what he calls President Barack Obama's "war on religion."... ie make the US into Saudi Arabia.

December 7, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
  18. Snow

Oh really? what do you find is wrong with religious nations like Iran and Saudi? Do you want to bring in such a totalitarian regime in the name of religion?

100 lashes for blasphamy
    death for pagens
    death for worshiping another god..

That is what you are trying to bring back? And some people support it? what is wrong with your heads??!!

December 7, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
    • George

First of all, those are Muslim nations. They are not Christian. And they are terrorists. However, they have to be admired because they enforce morality within their borders.

No one is suggesting such a theocracy here. But what we do want is a government consisting of primarily conservative Christians who can turn back the liberal policies of the past, pass laws that promote morality, and introduce God back to our nation.

December 7, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
    • Bob

George, you are pushing your sick Christian attempts at theocracy at us. I reject them. P!ss off already.

December 7, 2011 at 6:24 pm |

@Bob

I just wrote that I don't want a theorcracy. But I do want a moral nation that is Christian. If it were a theorcracy, clerics would make laws and enforce them. I don't want that. But I want God back in government.

December 7, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
    • HellBent

@George – so you want exactly what many founding fathers were vehemently, directly opposed to?

December 7, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
    • Hasa Diga Eebowai

Wow George, our founding fathers just did a back flip in their graves.

Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law. – Thomas Jefferson

December 7, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
    • News Flash

Georgey dear. There is no god. What there is, is your brain's idea of what you think that is. That is very dangerous. Your a-tt-itude is fundamentally un-American.

December 7, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

No "we" don't want a government that adheres to your values, George. And the "we" isn't just agnostics or atheists-it's Christians, too.

December 7, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

George, there is no God. You propose to introduce "fantasy" back into our government and take away human rights. You are pathetic like all Republicans. Why do you think morality comes from religion. It is quite different than that.

December 7, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
    • Snow

@George.. the punishments I quoted above are are from in your good ol bible and your oh so good christianity demands it. Not just in muslim laws.

and don't try to f with me on these details because however much your knowledge of christianity and bible is, I can assure you that I have studied it more than you.

December 7, 2011 at 6:55 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

George just doesn't get it-the religious extremism he espouses is no different than that of the radical Muslims.

December 7, 2011 at 7:03 pm |
    • CuriousID

Tom Tom, are you, or have you ever been, a potato? -curious in Idaho

December 7, 2011 at 7:09 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Learn how commas work, Curious. Get back to me when you figure it out.

By the way, did you tell Keith there's no such place as "Murphysboro, TN"? He's lost.

December 7, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

Tom, Curious' use of commas is correct.

December 7, 2011 at 7:23 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Ah, yes. I see that you and Curious are correct. However, I am not now, nor have I ever been, a potato. And it's "Murfreesboro, TN", just in case you find Keith wandering about.

December 7, 2011 at 7:26 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Swain, it seems a bit strange that this appears to be the only comment you've made on this thread. Hmmm.

December 7, 2011 at 7:29 pm |
    • CuriousID

Thank you, Tom Tom.
      If your references to "Keith" and such are directed at me, let me assure you I have zero idea what you're talking about.
      Thanks again.

December 7, 2011 at 7:53 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

And again, odd that I see no other posts from you here.

December 7, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
    • George

Despite the hate spewed out at me and God, I assure you that this country needs to return to God and good old-fashioned morals, and the only ones who will do this are conservative Christian republicans. Liberalism has run it's course. If you don't believe me, wait until the elections. People are fed up with liberalism and immorality.

December 7, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Stupid is as stupid does, George. Dimwits like you can't even figure out how apostrophes work. Why would anyone trust you to decide what's best for everyone?

You have yet to show any evidence that atheists are immoral or amoral or that Christians are moral. When do you plan to do that? I'd like to be prepared with my spear and magic helmet.

December 7, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
    • Snow

Out of curiosity.. why only conservative christians? why not conservative hindus or conservative buddhists or native indians?

Didn't they have enough bull when they "burnt the witches of Salem" and "educated the black man of the south"? is that the morality you aspire to get?

December 7, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
    • Snow

or is it the "catholic priests love for alter boys" morality you want to bring back?

December 7, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
    • Bob

People are fed up with stupid George, his sicko Christian supersti-tions, and his sickening attempts at making the US into a theocracy.

December 8, 2011 at 9:49 am |
    • HotAirAce

George, Hitler (a god fearing believer) was pretty good at enforcing morality within the borders of Germany and anywhere else his armies allowed hom to. Do you admire Hitler?

December 8, 2011 at 10:12 am |
  19. George

Rick Perry is a good Christian conservative. Conservative Christians are what is needed for this country, and the next election will bring a tidal wave of conservatives. Jesus himself was a conservative. He opposed the liberals – Pharasees and Sadducees – and demanded that people repent of their sins. We have had enough of liberals and liberal policies. America needs to turn back to God. I believe that a man like Rick Perry can help bring that about.

December 7, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
    • Peter

"America needs to turn back to God. I believe that a man like Rick Perry can help bring that about."

This country is NOT going to be a totalitarian. This country is NOT going to be a conservative Christian nation. Your religion is what is bringing this country down with your intolerance, hatred and bigotry. NO THANK YOU! Vote for Obama to keep our country free from Conservative Christians like George!

December 7, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
    • Mittens

America does need to turn back to God, but Rick Perry, or any politician, certainly isn't the answer. We need to bring people towards God by acting loving, kind, selfless, etc. NOT by electing some clown like Rick Perry. As a Christian myself, one has to question Rick Perry's sincerity. People like him do way more damage to Christianity than they do good. Good bless and have a good day 🙂

December 7, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Obama 2012

December 7, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
    • PooCorn

Idiots voted obama into office once already. Thanks for that. Now we've got an idiot up against a bunch of religious morons. Great choices we've got here. If every American stayed home and didn't vote, that would tell these politicians something. If you vote for obama or any of the opponents, you're just as stupid as they are.

December 7, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
    • George

The next president will be a conservative Christian no matter what you want. Americans are fed-up with Obama's incompetence and liberalism.

December 7, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
    • Bob

I'm a fiscal conservative, and I'm fed up with stupid religious twits like George pushing their sick Christian myths on the rest of use.

George, take your sick religious supersti-tions and your horrid bible, and shove them sideways up your ass.

December 7, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
    • Bob

I'm a fiscal conservative, and I'm fed up with stupid religious twits like George pushing their sick Christian myths on the rest of us.

December 7, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
    • Bob

Obama in 2012. Because we need to push down the George's of the nation and shove their noses in their sick religious sh!t.

December 7, 2011 at 6:13 pm |

@Bob

No conservative can be elected without the conservative Christian voting block. So you'd better get used to it if you want a conservative in office.

December 7, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
    • George

You're not a conservative, Bob. You lied. You are a liberal.

December 7, 2011 at 6:15 pm |

@Peter

Do you even know what totalitarian means?

December 7, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
    • Bob

Bullcr@p, George. I'm more fiscally conservative than you are. I'm a successful capitalist and I have created dozens of jobs through private enterprises that I founded.

What the fuk have you ever done that compares, other than come here and spew about your sick beliefs? George, you are a whiny, deluded and stupid ASS-HOLE, not a real conservative. You resemble more a communist than a conservative.

December 7, 2011 at 6:20 pm |

George, eat sh!t.

December 7, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
    • Bob

George, "good Christian conservative" is a contradiction in terms. And you are an ass-hole.

December 7, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
    • George

Classy, Bob. You need to get your heart right with God.

December 7, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
    • Hasa Diga Eebowai

"No conservative can be elected without the conservative Christian voting block. "... why the republican party is doomed

December 7, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
    • News Flash

Jesus was a rebel. he was anything but a conservative. Why do you think the authorities were watching him, and looking for him ? He overturned the tables of the money-changers, and wanted to "occupy" Jerusalem. They got rid of him because of that. You make up history to suit yourself.

December 7, 2011 at 6:36 pm |
    • Bob

George, why would I try to get right with your evil Christian sky fairy? Your pathetic god doesn't exist, and your horrid, disgusting Christian myths were just stolen from earlier supersti-tions.

So, what poor animal did you sacrifice to your nasty sky fairy ass-hole today, as your bible commands you to? And yes, Jesus did say the OT rules still apply, so get your sacrificial fire burning or your sicko god will smite you.

December 7, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

George must have big crystal balls that allow him to predict the outcome of the next election.

December 7, 2011 at 6:50 pm |

December 7, 2011 at 6:51 pm |
    • Bob

George has neither balls nor courage.

December 7, 2011 at 6:51 pm |
    • The Phist

December 7, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
    • ThisIsWhy

Like my tag states: This is why our country is broken. Everyone would rather spend time complaining about eachother and how wrong each is. Blame blame blame, pass the buck. Wake up. Really step back and take a look at yourselves.

December 7, 2011 at 7:09 pm |
    • IKnow

"I don't know who's worse in this little thread. The christian or the atheist throwing the tantrum."

The insane Christian George.

December 7, 2011 at 7:25 pm |
    • George

Right, Bob, you are successful capitalist. Yeah, we all believe that.

And you talk about me on here whining – who's doing the whining? And way aren't you busy if you are such a "successful capitalist?"

December 7, 2011 at 8:28 pm |

@News Flash

Jesus was a conservative! He fought against the liberal power structure of his religion. You need to read your Bible or else read the article from Tony Perkins.

December 7, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
    • peter out

Please, please do give us an example of a verse in the New Testament where Jesus specifically lined out his conservative stance on politics. I'll bet you a thousand dollars you can't do it. In fact, I'll bet you your soul.

December 7, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
    • Pillar of Salt

For all of you idiots who try to pin a political stance on Jesus, he was apolitical. He commanded his followers to "give unto Ceacer what is Ceaser's, and give unto God what is God's." In other words, Religion and politics are not to be intertwined. However, risking idiocy myself, I would have to say he was more liberal than conservative, because he emphasized taking care of the poor, sick, old, and young (the very people The Republicans want to leave to the wolves). All of you who claim that he fought liberalism have a very strange interpretation of the Bible. He never mentioned once his view on government spending, large government, or anything else considered liberal. If you think he does, then, please give a verse that clearly states this.

December 7, 2011 at 9:10 pm |
    • peter out

Still waiting on a verse that clearly staes Jesus' political war on liberalism in government...

December 7, 2011 at 9:33 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

If you're waiting for George to man up, you'll be waiting for a long time.

December 8, 2011 at 7:13 am |
    • rick

George is a petty little punk. That is why he takes comfort in worshipping a petty little punk.

December 8, 2011 at 8:06 am |
  20. Mittens

@ungodly – The above is me, forgot to change it from joking with someone earlier.

December 7, 2011 at 5:18 pm |