home
RSS
New Perry ad derides Obama's 'war on religion'
December 7th, 2011

New Perry ad derides Obama's 'war on religion'

(CNN) – Rick Perry says that if he's elected president, he'll end what he calls President Barack Obama's "war on religion."

Perry makes the comments in a new TV commercial that's sure to create controversy.

"I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a Christian, but you don't need to be in the pew every Sunday to know there's something wrong in this country when gays can serve openly in the military but our kids can't openly celebrate Christmas or pray in school," says the Texas governor and Republican White House candidate.

"As President, I'll end Obama's war on religion. And I'll fight against liberal attacks on our religious heritage. Faith made America strong. It can make her strong again."

Read the full post on CNN's Political Ticker
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Barack Obama • Politics • Rick Perry

1. GodofLunaticsCreation

Well it worked for Bush. Perry is lvery much like him. Uneducated murderer and proud.

December 7, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • GodofLunaticsCreation

very

December 7, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

Who did he murdered?
      I certainly hope you are not getting a lawful execution and a unlawful murder mixed up.

December 7, 2011 at 3:14 pm |

Uncouth Swain

Interesting question for a religion blog, in light of the fact that Christ's execution was legal.

Strange that I, as an Athiest, find no distiguishment between the two, yet so many Christians seem to embrace execution.

December 7, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
    • Martin T

@ Wiliam, you know what I find interesting. Christians rail against abortion, then don't want to support children born into poverty. The rail against abortion, but think executions are fine. It's amazing to me, truly.

December 7, 2011 at 3:31 pm |

Martin T,

Since, as an atheist, you have no moral framework, it does not surprise me what you think.

December 7, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • George

Sorry Martin that comment was directed at William.

December 7, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
    • Yo!

"Since, as an atheist, you have no moral framework, it does not surprise me what you think"

What a stupid thing to say and you have absolutely no proof your statement is even close to being true. Lying is a sin moron.

December 7, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • George

Atheists have no morality other than "if it doesn't hurt anyone, it's moral" if they have any at all. This is a FALSE morality.

December 7, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
    • Yo!

"Atheists have no morality other than "if it doesn't hurt anyone, it's moral" if they have any at all. "

Where do you come up with this crap. I would say based on the stupidity of your numerous posts that there are far more atheists that are more moral than you and any other christians like you.

December 7, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • George

When we get a conservative Christian president, you will learn what morality is. Just like there is no salvation other than through Jesus, there is no morality outside of Christianity.

December 7, 2011 at 4:17 pm |

George

My moral framework predates your imaginary savior by several thousand years.

I would greatly enjoy debating it at some point, but my mother insists I not pick on the slow kids 🙁

December 7, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
    • Yo!

"Just like there is no salvation other than through Jesus, there is no morality outside of Christianity."

Christianity does NOT have a monopoly on morality and many actions christians have proven you WRONG!. So you believe a woman has to marry her rapist, a child needs to be stoned to death for talking back to their parents. LOL LOL LOL!

December 7, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
    • J.W

We had a conservative president not very long ago. I would not personally say that he was very moral.

December 7, 2011 at 4:37 pm |

@Yo!

Since when has this EVER been Christian morality?

December 7, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
    • HellBent

@george – I'm guessing you've never actually read the bible – because those are laws that are clearly written in it.

December 7, 2011 at 5:09 pm |

@J.W.

George W. was far more moral than Bill Clinton. He is far more moral than Obama. Yes, he fought his demons in his past, but he received the Lord and turned his life around. Something that many here need to do.

December 7, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
    • Yo!

"" So you believe a woman has to marry her rapist, a child needs to be stoned to death for talking back to their parents"

Since when has this EVER been Christian morality?"

It's in your bible moron.

December 7, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
    • HellBent

" He is far more moral than Obama. "

He lied to start a war. What has Obama done that's worse?

December 7, 2011 at 5:13 pm |

@Yo!, Hellbent

Never said it wasn't. I said that is was NEVER a part of Christian morality.

December 7, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
    • HellBent

@George – silly me, thinking that Christians actually follow the bible. Thanks for the clarification. The OT is what, then, just suggestions? Because I thought that your savior explicitly said he wasn't getting rid of those laws.

December 7, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
    • Yo!

"I said that is was NEVER a part of Christian morality."

LOL! Then you don't follow your entire bible good for you. That's progress. 😉

December 7, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
    • George

In the OT there are moral laws, cultural laws, and laws regulating religious ceremonies. Christians adhere to the moral laws. With regard to cultural laws, see Acts. With regard to ceremonial laws, Jesus became the Lamb of God and ended the need for sacrifices by become the ultimate sacrifice. Think about it: God became man, suffered and died for our sins. Just thinking of it brings tears to my eyes that God so loves me.

December 7, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
    • Yo!

"Christians adhere to the moral laws."

History has proven otherwise.

December 7, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
    • HellBent

"In the OT there are moral laws, cultural laws, and laws regulating religious ceremonies. "

They were all created by the Christian god. No self-respecting christian would actually consider what you're labeling 'cultural' laws as moral in today's society. So, your god is therefore a moral relativist.

I like how you can conveniently paint certain laws as cultural – do you have anything that actually backs up that as.sertion, or does that just help you sleep better at night?

December 7, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

George, where is your proof that atheists are immoral or amoral and that Christians are moral?

December 7, 2011 at 6:51 pm |
  2. hippypoet

John Wilmot once more –

Thus sir, you see what human nature craves,
    Most men are cowards, all men should be knaves;
    The difference lies, as far as I can see.
    Not in the thing itself, but the degree;
    And all the subject matter of debate
    Is only, who's a knave of the first rate

call it an ode to perry and his ilk...:)

December 7, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
  3. Amalia Sheran Sharm

He's getting really desperate.

December 7, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
    • George

Desperate he may be, but he speaks to the hearts of believers.

December 7, 2011 at 2:38 pm |

George

Santa and Elmo also speak to the hearts of believers, yet few might think they deserve the Oval Office.

December 7, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
    • Martin T

@ George, NO he speaks to a certain segment of believers. Please do not group all believers into the Rick Perry NUTJOB category. I am an atheist, but I have plenty of Christian friends who think this is NOT the way to think or behave toward gays. Last I checked there were many things in our history that were effected by gays and lesbians, things you take for granted today. Would you have wished them dead before they created such works? What would Jesus have said? We don't know, because there were NO written records of him ever speaking... none.. but that's another post, eh?

December 7, 2011 at 2:54 pm |

@Martin

December 7, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • Yo!

"Why are you bringing up ho.mos.e.x.uals? No one said a thing about hom.o.s.e.x.uals, sinful and anti-Christian as they are."

That's why there are gay churches, gay pastors and christian gays. LOL! That's why people like you are so WRONG for America!

December 7, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • Martin T

@George, I bring it up because Perry has brought it up, so have nearly EVERY Republican candidate for President.

December 7, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
    • Martin T

@Yo, and that is another good argument for the non-existence of a god or gods. IF there were a god and he/she was so against gays, wouldn't one think that something awful would happen to them. A tsunami or earthquake or something, instead of these happening to innocent heteros? Just asking.. LOL

December 7, 2011 at 3:11 pm |

@Martin T

You don't think that hom.os.e.xuals die in natural diasters also? Fail.

December 7, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • Ok'yDok'y

"You don't think that hom.os.e.xuals die in natural diasters also? Fail."

That's the point. LOL! Plus no where does your bible does it condemn the saved loving marriage of gay couples. 😉 I am going to assume you are one of the dumb christians so before responding make sure you read the complete sentence. LOL!

December 7, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
    • Ok'yDok'y

"That's the point. LOL! Plus no where does your bible does it condemn the saved loving marriage of gay couples"

Crap I typed to fast. Plus nowhere does your bible condemn the saved loving marriage of gay couples. LMAO Hey I am human after all. LOL!

December 7, 2011 at 3:22 pm |

December 7, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • Ok'yDok'y

"The Bible condemns h.omo.s.e.xuality so by implication it condemns ho.mos.e.xual marriages."

No it doesn't Romans is about using sex to worship a pagan god, not related to what we NOW know about gays, Corithians the word homosexual was added later, and Sodom and Gomorrah was about hospitality if you read Ezekiel. LOL! So again I say nowhere in your bible does your god condemn the saved loving marriage of a gay couple.

December 7, 2011 at 3:31 pm |

December 7, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • Ok'yDok'y

"Well, I guess that's how you read it in La-la land. But your reading runs universally counter to all of Christianity except those few that coddle and justify ho.mo.s.e.xuals. Good luck trying to sell that, though."

That's why 100's of priests are going on record apologizing to the gay community, it's selling just fine. It's prejudice people like you that don't get that MOST of the experts in the world have said being gay is NOT a choice, it can't be voluntarily change and it's NOT a mental illness.

December 7, 2011 at 3:40 pm |

@Ok

Yes, it is. And if you are ho.mos.e.xual, I encourage you to repent before our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. It's not too late.

December 7, 2011 at 3:48 pm |

@Ok

"hundreds of priests"

December 7, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
    • Ok'yDok'y

"I find what you write to be laughable, unrealistic and way out there. You are like Saddam who claimed he was winning the first gulf war. You are living in La-la land. Open your eyes as to what the majority of Christians think."

Guess you don't read the news then because it's true. I am not gay and guess what it doesn't matter what the majority of you think because the laws are changing and will continue to change. 😉 Separation of church and state – DUH! Luckily for gays they have most of the 100 of thousands of experts in the world on their side.

December 7, 2011 at 4:05 pm |

@Ok

Even if you aren't a h.o.mo.s.e.xual, you still need to repent for your views. As I said before, it's not too late.

December 7, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • Ok'yDok'y

"Guess I haven't been watching the news in La-la Land. Would you care to provide some support for your assertion? Some citation, maybe?"

What too lazy to do your own homework. You're the one in la-la-land. You're the one that needs to repent because your god does not condemn the saved married gay couple and spreading lies about them is a sin.

December 7, 2011 at 4:14 pm |

@Ok

You made the claims. It's not for me to back up your claims.

December 7, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
    • J.W

George there are many experts that say being gay in not a choice, but that is how some people are born.

December 7, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
    • Paul

""hundreds of priests"

More than 100 ordained Christian ministers signed a proclamation which included an apology to the Gay community.

A rather unusual event recently took place ministers of black churches met with members of the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) community - and formally apologized for what the organizers described as the church's judgmental attitude toward individuals who experience same-sex attraction and their loved ones.

December 7, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
    • Ok'yDok'y

@Paul, ah...you did some of George's homework for him. Too bad, I wanted to keep him ranting for awhile. LOL! It's obvious he has no clue about the subject of gays and lesbians. It just proves that prejudice and bigotry is really built on the foundation of ignorance.

December 7, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
  4. hippypoet

in the immortal words of John Wilmot
    Epitaph on Charles II
    Here lies a great and mighty King,
    Whose promise none relied on;
    He never said a foolish thing,
    Nor ever did a wise one.

this would be a lovely epitaph for perry's grave just those that read it should know that its all sarcasm, all but the last line, thats pure truth!

December 7, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
    • Ed

can't agree Rick perry sayds all knids of foolish stuff

December 7, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
    • hippypoet

i said all but the last line is sarcasm...no worries dude. 🙂

December 7, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
  5. George

I'm glad to see that someone is finally speaking out for the Christian majority. I've always suspected that Obama is a closet atheist. Now I know that I am not the only one who feels this way. We desperately need to elect a conservative Christian as our next president.

December 7, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
    • Josh

Agree!

December 7, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
    • hippypoet

why a conservative christian? why not a person who appeals to everyone and not just one group of people?

December 7, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
    • William Demuth

I for one always find bemusement in those who claim a Christian majority.

These are usually the same individuals who insist any permutation of the belief that differs from their own strain is not true Christianity.

Luckily for we rationalists, the divisions within “Christianity” are so profound, and the indoctrination of its adherents so deep that each subdivision of the cult in its self-proclaimed righteousness, repudiates the others.

Thus Mormons are not true Christians, Roman Catholics are not true Christians, Seventh Day Adventists are not true Christians, Jehovah’s Witnesses are not true Christians, and so on ad nauseum.

Any cult as divided amongst themselves cannot claim to be one church, any more than the Europeans can claim to be one country.

If you desire power then reconcile your differences and find a leader. Otherwise you will be dismissed as nothing more than a casual affiliation of cults, all with their own agenda.

December 7, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
    • Brad

Indeed, I'm a Christian socialist – maybe Perry's worst nightmare.

December 7, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
    • Martin T

I think Obama is an atheist as well, and I'm darn proud that he is. The question is this: Why does one's religion carry so much weight in the governance of the US? Think about it, there are few if any real issues of Faith conducted by the Government. Oh I know the whole argument about gays in the military, gay marriage, etc.. but those are NOT issues of religion but issues of Human Rights... Far too often, the Religious Right seeks to squash Human Rights in this country.. Shame!

December 7, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
    • Martin T

@William, I don't always agree with you, but on this issue you are SPOT on my man, SPOT ON! Couldn't have said it better if I tried, thanks....

December 7, 2011 at 2:59 pm |

@William Demuth

I don't care what stripe of Christian you are as long as you believe that Jesus is our Lord and Savior, are conservative, stand for strict morals and believe that America is a Christian nation.

December 7, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
    • hippypoet

george, i love to break it to ya but good sir, we are not nor have ever been a christian nation. please go and read a book about the history of the origins of the United States of America!

December 7, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • Martin T

@ George, but America is NOT a Christian Nation... you are WAY out of touch...

signed your trusty Atheist.

December 7, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
    • Martin T

@ Hippy, READ a BOOK, are you MAD woman? To do that might cause them to think, actually have an original thought that wasn't planted there by the good reverend. Oh No, you are hoping for WAY too MUCH there....

December 7, 2011 at 3:07 pm |

George

So then vote for Romney, or he is one of those illegitimate Christians you seem to be denying?

So George, whats it gonna be? Are Mormons just as Christian as you?

December 7, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • J.W

Whoa Wait a minute here!!! Hippy is a chick?

December 7, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
    • hippypoet

lol, very true.. besides thinking can cause them brain damage, and i would be the reason, how ever would i live with myself! happier for one. Oh and i am no woman... why does everyone think that – is it the way i type or something? I am a man, a dude preferably. 🙂 no worries... i take it as a compliment... women live longer and can muilti task better. 🙂

December 7, 2011 at 3:12 pm |

@Martin T
      "Oh I know the whole argument about gays in the military, gay marriage, etc.. but those are NOT issues of religion but issues of Human Rights"

They are issues of sin and morality. And any good Christian stands firmly against sin.

About America being a Christian nation: Look at the stats about religion in America. The overwhelmingly majority identify themselves as Christians. Very few identify as atheists.

December 7, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • J.W

Well I though you were a man but then martin said are you mad woman and I thought maybe I was wrong. I was going to start flirting with you if you were a girl.

December 7, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
    • Martin T

@George, REALLY??? You think the OVERWHELMING majority of Americans are Christian? Hmmmm, not so sure about that and at last count nearly 10 percent of Americans were out atheists, with perhaps as many as 30% actually falling in the category. America is fastly becoming much like much of Europe, religious on Sundays and Holidays, at best...

@ Hippy, sorry dude, MY BAD....

December 7, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
    • hippypoet

well, J.W with modern tech i can be whatever the money allows – so, how tall are you? (meow) lol

and george, just because there are more of something in a place doesn't make it that... if that were the case the world would be very different! And our laws and const!tuation states it pretty clear that this is not a religious nation!

December 7, 2011 at 3:19 pm |

@William

Romney is out because he is not a conservative, not because he is a Mormon.

December 7, 2011 at 3:20 pm |

@Martin T

30%? Making up statistics are you? Check out the Eagle Forum. You will find the real facts there.

December 7, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • Martin T

@George, WOW, you send me to a Right Winged Conservative Website to get statistics on Atheists.... Again, WOW..

December 7, 2011 at 3:24 pm |

George

You fear the question. Is Romney a Christian in your eyes?

December 7, 2011 at 3:24 pm |

@William

I'll answer your question even though it was not posed to me earlier: Mormons are Christians, albeit misguided ones. I've be happy to have a conservative Mormon president over an atheist or liberal one ANY day.

December 7, 2011 at 3:28 pm |

George

Then this must be a sad time for you.

Support for candidates is inverse of their faith intensity.

Santorum, being the most Fundie, has the least shot.

It seems your value system is being rejected by America as we speak.

December 7, 2011 at 3:33 pm |

@William

We shall see. In any case, our next president will be a conservative Christian.

December 7, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • Paul

"We shall see. In any case, our next president will be a conservative Christian."

No, it won't happen it's blogs like this that shows the world what's so wrong with nut jobs like you.

December 7, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
    • J.W

Our next president will be Obama. I will change my handle to something really insulting if I am wrong. But if I am right everyone who says I would be wrong has to change their handle to ObamaLover.

December 7, 2011 at 3:49 pm |

George

Our next president shall be an athiest, just as the current one is.

December 7, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

The fact that a majority of people claim to be Christian doesn't mean squat. There are many, many Christians who voted for Obama and will likely vote to re-elect him. Furthermore, there are millions of Christians who are socially liberal: they don't believe being gay is a sin, they support a woman's right to choose, and they think people like you, George, are nuts.

December 7, 2011 at 6:56 pm |
  6. ChrisM

Religion needs a war on it.

December 7, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
  7. Doc Vestibule

Today he's a religion hater, yesterday he was a Muslim.
    Get it straight Perry!

"Obama.
    His name doesn't sound very Christian, does it?
    Hussein – Sadaam was a bad one, and so is Barack.
    Stalin had a scary name and he was a communist.
    Obama is a scary name.
    Vote for Rick Perry.
    His name is as American as Jesus tattoos, apple pie and the 4th of July – and it's easy to spell."

December 7, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • captain america

canadians won't be voting in American elections doc, tend to your own bull sh it politics and we will tend to ours.

December 7, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@captain america
      I still have to endure your insipid, inflammatory campaign ads.
      I'd wager that my family has done more for America than yours – btw.
      The White House doesn't give out the Meritorious Service Award with Oak Leaf Cluster for nothing.

December 7, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • Just tryin something

S U C K -------------------------------------------–
      A --------------------------------------------------
      D I C K ---------------------------------------------

camptain america

December 7, 2011 at 2:14 pm |

Do you really Doc?

On cable, or broadcast.

I for one have never seen a Canadian political ad, and I lived in Vermont for over a year.

I suspect it would be fascinating.

December 7, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
    • captain america

Quick review of canada helping America.
      Founding fathers, George Washington and all that would have gladly been hung by canadians.
      Traitors to the American revolution were richly rewarded,given lands and became the foundation for the country that would become canada.
      Mid 1800,s American freedom fighters betrayed into thinking that canada wanted to throw off the yolk of British oppression were rounded up and hanged in large numbers as well as many American freedom fighters sent to long prison terms.
      I doubt you were rewarded by America for anything and if you have an award you probably got it off e-bay.
      Bottom line your opinion is of no consequence in American politics either way .You have no vote here, take care of your own business.
      Time constrain me from elaborating on the lack of republican ideals that canada represents. The participation in establishing apartied, the lack of 2nd amendment rights, the Riot Act or the Indian list.In spite of which America Still pulled canadas bacon out of the fire in two world wars.

December 7, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@William
      We get 'em on both, actually.
      I live in Toronto, so I pick up stations from New York.
      Our ads are comparatively tame, though our conservative party has been taking notes from the repub style attack ads.
      Not long ago, they launched a campaign against the Liberal party, calling their candidate too American for having taught at Harvard.
      There's a guy named Rick Mercer on the CBC who is well known for his ranting and I think he summed it up pretty well:
      "Political attack ads are depressing. I don't care who makes them. And at the end of the day the entire country suffers because it drags the entire political process right down into the toilet."

December 7, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Cap'n America
      Are you a real Captain? Somehow I doubt it.
      I was in uniform at the Headquarters for the United States European Command during the 1st Gulf War.

Here's some fine Canadian music by The Arrogant Worms for you.
      Hope you enjoy it

December 7, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • Martin T

@Doc – Don't let Captain idiot rile you too much, apparently he's been sniffing too much of the Republican Sh–, and it's affecting his ability to speak in coherant statements. Canada is perhaps the US's best friend, and certainly one of our closest allies. I would move there in a minute, that's for sure, and I just might if Newt is elected President by some cruel twist of fate. Thanks for your service in the first Desert Storm, I was in the 3rd Infantry Division at the time, my son serves in that same division now... We both hold purple hearts for being wounded in battle.

December 7, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • Ed

Ok Doc watched the video it was funny but as the note eluded too not entirely accurate

December 7, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Martin T
      My father served with members of the 1/10th Special Forces and 2 US Air Force Para Rescuemen in Isikveren at that time.
      He is the one who was awarded the MSM with Oak Leaf Cluster for his contributions to Operation Provide Comfort.
      That and The Order of St. John are the two decorations he earned of which we are most proud.

December 7, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
    • captain america

As suspected you didn't earn squat., it makes no sense for a canadian to be so awarded and reduced to spewing irrelevant bull sh it on a second rate American news blog. You sucked in some dip sh it atheists on the claim though. They ought to go up there with you.

December 7, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
    • Ed

@Captsin America, Change your screen name you're and insult to America so stop using the screen name. Doc may be a liberal but this is the internet and he has every right to state his opinon. You also have a righ to ur opinon but I recommend a more accurate screen name for you like waste of sperm

December 7, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

The only thing he's captain of is his dick.

December 7, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
    • Ed

@Tom its rare but we agree

December 7, 2011 at 6:59 pm |
  8. William Demuth

America's demise is a byproduct of poor education, and this man epitomizes it.

Perhaps the Fundies might be better served having their children read books other than the Bible?

When illiteracy masquerades as culture we all suffer, and this gentleman’s attempt to rationalize his own ignorance as an expression of a different set of values, and indeed values that are desirable, threatens our nation and indeed the whole of humanity.

This man is not intelligent enough to be considered for the office he seeks.

December 7, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
    • Sue

Great points, William. I agree.

December 7, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • News Flash

Agree completely. Well said Bill. Although there is not a chance in hell he will either be the candidate from that party, or elected, the fact that he made it this far in national affairs is truly a scary thing.

December 7, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
    • George

LMAO. I am an ultraconservative Christian fundamentalist. I now know what you think of me. Acording to you, if you are a conservative Christian fundamentalist you are ignorant and illiterate. You have a lot of growing up to do if you think that those who think differently from you are ignorant and illiterate.

December 7, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
    • News Flash

The fundies are not necessarily illiterate, but when they are asked for RATIONAL evidence to support their positions, and provide none, then there is a problem there, (and quoting insipid bible verses is NOT evidence of anything).

December 7, 2011 at 2:46 pm |

George,

If you believe he is competent to run the free world and control weapons capable of destroying life on this planet, then announce your support of him.

In truth, I suspect even through the fog of your indoctrination, you must in good faith admit his inevitable failure in the face of such a daunting task.

Sharing a faith is one thing, but endorsing a buffon is quite another.

December 7, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
    • Hasa Diga Eebowai

Illiterate by definition probably not, crazy and irrational .... you betcha ya

December 7, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
  9. R. Perry

I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm an Idiot, but you don't need to be in the pew every Sunday to know this, just wach my face. I am just the flagship of this breed of republican candidates to president. Vote me, God is un my side, and he will tell me what to do!

December 7, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
  10. Ungodly Discipline

If this country is stupid enough to vote for another republican I will be forced to move to another country. I am actively looking at the possibilities right now.

December 7, 2011 at 1:14 pm |
    • JF

I see you have never lived very long overseas- you have a awaking coming- have a nice trip

December 7, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
    • JohnQuest

I agree with JF not believing is punished more then believing in the wrong God in most other countries. We are fortunate in that regard, our religious zealots have not completely taken over.

December 7, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

JF
      "an" awakening

December 7, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

You are so VERY wrong. The world is a big place with so much to offer culturally and otherwise. I would love to experience it ALL and if we keep electing sh it for brains leaders then I feel the push out the door.

December 7, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • Sarcozy

Actually, I lived many years in Europe, and a polician doing such declarations will be done. People being openly religous like that are considered ignorant clowns. May be in Irland a bit more behind in that, but UK and all developed Europe are like that. Similarly in developed Asia. Now if you go to some places in south America, Middle East, or Africa you will find R.P. and other Redneck American mentality. The orinal poster probaby mean moving to the former.

December 7, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • News Flash

I HAVE lived in other countries. I see you have never been to the Northern European countries. They pay more taxes, but their societies are more cohesive, they have health care that is EXACTLY as good, if not better than many of the major metropolitan areas in this country, and better schools. Maybe you better take another trip or two.

December 7, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  11. derp

Vote for me!!!!!
    Jeebus loves me best!!!!!
    Be afraid of the scary gays!!!!!

Rick Perry would be funny if he were not so pathetic.

December 7, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
  12. debrinconcita

OBAMA Never started a WAR on Religion, GEORGE BUSH Jr. DID THAT? Your blaming the wrong person MR.Perry, but of course you know that already? NAME ONE THING THAT OBAMA did to start a War on RELIGION. NAME IT & I WILL Agree with your MISINFORMATION as I SEE IT!!!

December 7, 2011 at 1:04 pm |
  13. Bo

Has anyone ever wondered or considered why Condalieezze Rice doesn't run for for POUS? She could probably make a good showing. She certainly would be better canidate than any of the __?__ running now.

December 7, 2011 at 1:01 pm |
    • Grenn

You are nutz, Bo. Just stupid. Just sayin'.

December 7, 2011 at 1:04 pm |
    • William Demuth

Because conservatives might support here, but Republicans will not support either a Woman, and African American, or an intellectual.

Sad but true.

December 7, 2011 at 1:30 pm |

Bo

Also throw in here non hetro orientation and she is doomed.

All she lacks on their list of things to hate is being a Muslim

December 7, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
  14. hippypoet

last acts of a desperate man nearing the end of his rope – well in his case i should say he is reaching the end of his cross! 🙂

December 7, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
    • Grenn

We can always hope he'll get nominated because he is such a loser it would be a good joke.

December 7, 2011 at 1:02 pm |
    • debrinconcita

HE THINKS Scare tactics & Lies will get him ELECTED he sorely WRONG, JESUS IS VOTING FOR THE BETTER MAN. not Perry!!!

December 7, 2011 at 1:05 pm |
    • JohnQuest

debrinconcita, how soon we forget, that worked for Pres. Bush Twice!!!!

December 7, 2011 at 1:27 pm |

Jesus can't vote.

He is imaginary, and even if he wasn't he would still be an illegal immigrant.

December 7, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • Sue

debrinconcita, Jesus won't be voting because he is long dead and he has rotted away.

The dead aren't allowed to vote, although the near- brain dead are. That is how GW got elected.

December 7, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
    • HellBent

Actually, I hear that Jesus voted in many Chicago elections in the 30's. And multiple times in those elections.

December 7, 2011 at 2:42 pm |

HellBent

Yup. Both with and without the "H"!

December 7, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
  15. OccupyDC

@Ungodly Discipline:

Good one, though I kind of get that vibe more strongly from Newt Gingrich and Donald Trump. Aren't those two supposed to be forming the tag team of Doom or something?

December 7, 2011 at 12:57 pm |
  16. Ungodly Discipline

Can you imagine Perry and Dubya sitting on a couch together watching TV? Bevis and Butthead.

December 7, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
    • George W

I'm gonna be my buddy Ricks runnin mate!! PERRY/BUSH TICKET YAY!!

December 7, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
  17. George Clifford

In the change of administrations from George W. Bush to Barack Obama, I saw a refreshing new openness to Christianity lacking in the Bush administration. Christianity is not a language in which to disguise patriotism and narcissism but a call to love all of our neighbors (not just the rich or the ones who look, talk, or act we do) as ourselves. In the words of James, we are known by our deeds. Bush’s legacy of two wars with hundreds of thousands of dead and the nation’s worst recession since the Depression vividly portray his shallow (at best) grasp of Christianity. For more on the proper relationship between religion and politics, read my seven part post at Ethical Musings beginning with http://blog.ethicalmusings.com/2011/11/religion-and-politics-part-1.html.

December 7, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
  18. OccupyDC

Only two posts (at the time of my posts) because Rick Perry is such a joke, not many people can be bothered to listen to anything he has to say 😉

Faith will make the country strong...BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! I'll be sure to pass this message along to the millions of Americans who work 40+ hours a week and can barely afford to feed their families because as we all know, faith buys groceries, pays rent and mortgages and offers health care.

December 7, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
  19. BriSoFla

Will someone please shove a bible down this moron's throat so he can no longer speak stupidity! PERRY IS WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE REPUBLICAN PARTY AND WHY THEY WONT WIN IF HE IS NOMINATED! DUH!

December 7, 2011 at 12:47 pm |
    • J.W

That is true, but which of the Republican nominees could win. Gingrich would have a chance, but they won't be smart enough to nominate him.

December 7, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
    • Ironicus

Gingrich doesn't have a chance. He was a loose cannon before and he's a loose cannon now.
      None of the GOP idiots stand a chance. And I'm not complaining at all, nosiree...

December 7, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
  20. J.W

I think he was definitely going for some shock value here. He knows his campaign is in trouble. He needs to get his base back on his side and this was the best way to do it.

December 7, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • J.W

Oh by the way I was first and second.

December 7, 2011 at 12:44 pm |