home
RSS
New Perry ad derides Obama's 'war on religion'
December 7th, 2011

New Perry ad derides Obama's 'war on religion'

(CNN) – Rick Perry says that if he's elected president, he'll end what he calls President Barack Obama's "war on religion."

Perry makes the comments in a new TV commercial that's sure to create controversy.

"I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a Christian, but you don't need to be in the pew every Sunday to know there's something wrong in this country when gays can serve openly in the military but our kids can't openly celebrate Christmas or pray in school," says the Texas governor and Republican White House candidate.

"As President, I'll end Obama's war on religion. And I'll fight against liberal attacks on our religious heritage. Faith made America strong. It can make her strong again."

Read the full post on CNN's Political Ticker
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Barack Obama • Politics • Rick Perry

1. What Rick Perry is Thinking Right Now

ABC, talkin' bout 123...it's easy as ABC, 123, do re mi baby you and me girl........damn I'm good.

December 7, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
  2. George

@Hellbent

"I'm guessing you've never actually read the bible – because those are laws that are clearly written in it."

Never said it wasn't. I said that it was NEVER a part of Christian morality.

December 7, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
    • What Rick Perry is Thinking Right Now

I loves the soft boiled eggs too. Mmmmmm.

December 7, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
  3. Ungodly Discipline

Here is my question for Ricky (and Mittens if she wants to play):

Nobody knows how life started. But we do know it did, and it evolved and humans are one of the results of that evolution and humans have been around for a couple of hundred thousand years. If there is a God, it is not anything like the silly superst itious Gods of religion. It would perhaps be some force that creates rules, but not always the same rules. The rules could be different from one universe to the next. Hence there could be many Gods. As many Gods as there are realities. It should not come as a surprise that we exist given that these "rules" would eventually over the course of billions, perhaps trillions, perhaps for infinity produce every possibility. We are a possibility so naturally, we are here. See?

Too bad we can't put religion to rest at this point in our growth as a species. We should all be of the same belief system relative to the realities of science. No war, no bigotry, no poor decisions or foolish politics getting in the way of progress. But alas, religion continues to hold us back and will most likely be the death of our species and many others.

Additionally, if one wishes to cling to belief in God, does the same God rule over all live throughout this and perhaps many trillions of other universes? And do these life forms belief and Jesus? And was God created in THEIR own image?

December 7, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Please forgive my type-o's in the hastily written last paragraph.

December 7, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
    • What Rick Perry is Thinking Right Now

Life forms? Uhhhhh.....huh?

December 7, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
    • Mittens

The downfall of humans will be their behavior. You think if religion didn't exist then there wouldn't be corruption, starvation, wars, etc? Please, you're deluded if you think that. Humans always have, and always will, use what's at their disposal as an excuse to justify their selfish ways, whether that is religion, politics, the workplace, etc. You're blaming religion for these problems when actually it is the root of all humans, selfishness. Precisely why we need Christ as a savior.

Religion has done been both beneficial and detrimental to the human race. Funny how atheists always seem to only looks at the wars religion causes, but never give credit for the good it's done. Anyways, I'm leaving work so hopefully that's some food for thought. Cheers.

December 7, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
    • Mittens

@ungodly – And no, the discovery of life in other planets doesn't affect Christianiaty, I can't speak about other religions. The Bible doesn't mention life forms on other planets, and hence doesn't confirm or deny that it exists.

December 7, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Actually it your dark age thinking that is the problem. Humans can and will have to evolve beyond that to survive as a species. Your food for thought is fit only for rats.

December 7, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
    • Mittens

@ungodly – Your response is totally predictable. Cheers.

December 7, 2011 at 5:30 pm |

Mittens
      Ask yourself this simple question: Why, when you read the Bible, are you not left in awe? Why doesn't a book written by an omniscient being leave you with a sense of wonder and amazement?

If you are reading a book written by the all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving creator of the universe, wouldn't you expect to be stunned by the brilliance, the clarity and the wisdom of the author? Would you not expect each new page to intoxicate you with its incredible prose and its spectacular insight? Wouldn't you expect the author to tell us things that scientists have not been able to discover yet?

Yet, when we open the Bible and actually read it, we find it is nothing like that at all. Instead of leaving us in awe, it leaves us dumbfounded by all of the nonsense and backwardness that it contains. If you read what the Bible actually says, you find that the Bible is ridiculous. If we are honest with ourselves, it is obvious that an "all-knowing" God had absolutely nothing to do with this book.

The reason why the Bible contains so much nonsense is because God is imaginary. The Bible is a book written thousands of years ago by primitive men. A book that advocates senseless murder, slavery and the oppression of women has no place in our society today.

And OF course it affects Christianity, how could live on other planets NOT affect religion????

December 7, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
  4. What Above Person Is Thinking Right Now

Wait, no I am not.

December 7, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
    • What Above Person Is Thinking Right Now

A waste of life that is. I seem to have multiple voices in my head and I have not mastered the reply button yet.

December 7, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
    • beenthere

Good reflexes there! lol

December 7, 2011 at 7:17 pm |
  5. What Rick Perry is Thinking Right Now

I am smart enough, I am good enough and gosh darnit, people like me.

December 7, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
    • What Above Person Is Thinking Right Now

I'm a waste of life.

December 7, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
  6. Mittens

Poor atheists. Sit on here everyday with fames fuming out their ears, what a sad sad life 🙁

December 7, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
    • Ron Paul

sad indeed 🙁

December 7, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
    • J.W

We should start a "Save the Atheists" campaign.

December 7, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
    • William Demuth

While sitting her I sold 108K to the government at 9 points.

Actually, I sort of like Christians in the government, because they will buy anything!

December 7, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Again a post from you, but yet nothing to say. I don't get it.

by the way how do fames fume out of one's ears. What does that even mean?

December 7, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
    • Mittens

@ungodly – Flames, not fames. Also, this is twice now you've commented and brought nothing back to my supposed nothing. Good job.

And by flames fuming out the ears, I'm referencing somebody being angry. Please don't think I'm saying this as a literal claim, like all you atheists do claim everything in the Bible is, because I don't actually think there are flames coming out of people's ears.

December 7, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Mittens, what is your opinion of the article?

December 7, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Mittens, you are on this blog too, just like the "athiests". What does that make you then? You are not a poor loser because you are not an athiest? How about me, I am a Temporal Agnostic. Am I a poor loser too, accourding to the Mittens book of sad people?

December 7, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
    • What Above Person Is Thinking Right Now

@ungodly – My opinion of the article is that Rick Perry is a corrupt politician, just like so many others. He fakes whatever he can to get points politically. I'd say that he's an idiot, because of so many things he's done, but you have to be a pretty intelligent person to rise that high in the ranks. Regardless, I disagree with many of his policies and would never vote for him in 100 years. He says what he thinks will get votes, plain and simple. He's really no different than Obama or 95% of the other politicians, they might be on different ends of the spectrum, but corruption is the central theme.

Is that sufficient of an opinion?

December 7, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
    • Mittens

@ungodIy – The above is me, forgot to change it from joking with someone earlier.

December 7, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
    • What Rick Perry is Thinking Right Now

Sure, but why so bitter? And wait do you hate on the Athiests?

December 7, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
    • News Flash

Isn't there already a "save the atheists" campaign ? It's called evangelization. It's not working.

December 7, 2011 at 7:02 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Good one, News.

December 7, 2011 at 7:42 pm |
  7. Tony

I am watching him now on CNN and he really thinks Obama don't want our kids praying in school....he is for REAL. Pray in school was stopped long ago, even before he was old enough to go to High School. President Obama had nothing to do with that law, what's wrong with President Obama allowing gays to serve in our Military. Will Perry serve right now.....today....will he put on a uniform and carry a M16, HELL NO. This guy is a JOKE. He wants to stop Unemployment Benefits for those who need the help.....he believe it is stopping them from getting a JOB. See, this shows Republicans are really out of touch with the common man, Middle Class and Lower Class America's who are having a very hard time making ends meet to pay bills and stay afloat. Republicans – is this what you want for a President? You think its hard times now.....let one of these Republicans get in the White House and we all will be in soup lines – living out of our cars.

December 7, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
    • Mittens

I speak no good english. Why nobody listen to me when i speak like 5 year old?

Nobody can take you, or the other 90% of illiterate clowns, on these blogs seriously when your grammar is atrocious. I've never met so many dumb people gathered in one spot in my entire life. Just so happens 80% are atheists too, interesting.

December 7, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
    • a random school kid

ok, he might make a bad president but really, do you think it would be a bad idea to celebrate Christmas in school or not?

December 7, 2011 at 4:41 pm |

@mittins
      You are one to talk LOL

@random
      I don't really care.

December 7, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

kid, why would you celebrate Christmas in school? Schools are closed on Christmas. Do you really want to have them stay open so you can spend Christmas Day there instead of at home?

December 7, 2011 at 7:44 pm |
  8. a random school kid

being a school kid, i like the concept of being able to celebrate Christmas in school. why is that bad, if that is what you are all getting at?

December 7, 2011 at 4:31 pm |

December 7, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
    • William Demuth

Being a kid I like the idea of witchcraft and celebrating the Feast of Bachus in school. Whats wrong with that?

December 7, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
    • William Demuth

being a school kid, i like the concept of being able to celebrate Ramadan in school. why is that bad, if that is what you are all getting at?

December 7, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
    • William Demuth

being a school kid, i like the concept of being able to celebrate Satan in school. why is that bad, if that is what you are all getting at?

December 7, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • William Demuth

being a school kid, i like the concept of being able to celebrate Hanukah in school. why is that bad, if that is what you are all getting at?

December 7, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • excusea

Will I am will give all the excuses in the world to avoid studying at school!

December 7, 2011 at 4:38 pm |

This is fun.

Being a school kid, I think we should celebrate celebrations. Is that what you are getting at?

December 7, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
    • a random answer to a random school kid

Since Christmas is a holiday with no school, how do you propose to celebrate it in school?
      Are you going to break a window and sneak in with a tree and some presents?

December 7, 2011 at 7:22 pm |
  9. What Rick Perry is Thinking Right Now

I hope I get a bunny for Christmas.

December 7, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
  10. What Rick Perry is Thinking Right Now

Lone Star

December 7, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
  11. I'm The Best!

So what he really has a problem with is equal rights for everyone and a true seperation of church and state? Wow, he would make a TERRIBLE president.

December 7, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
    • What Rick Perry is Thinking Right Now

Any of the Republicans currently running for the office right now would make a terrible president.

December 7, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
    • I'm The Best!

I'm an independant and for financial issuse, I lean more republican. But the current repubs running for office are just so dumb that I can't help but hope Obama gets elected again.

Socially, the dems have it mostly right. Financially, the repubs have it mostly right.
      The current batch of republicans are either too stupid or too stubborn for me to vote for them.

December 7, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
  12. What Rick Perry is Thinking Right Now

After I win the war on religion, I will take down science too. Gravity? Evolution? Black Holes? I will crush them the way I kill convicts...

December 7, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
  13. Mittens

Andddddd the atheists swarm to the belief blog like white on rice. Nothing more predictable......not even wack @ss Perry himself.

December 7, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Is that what you have to add to the discussion? Impressive.

December 7, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • AtheistAss-hole

Hey I'm bored here and stupid delusional idiots like Christians, Muslims, and Jews come here to act like a bunch of mongy rejects. How could I stay away? It's like shooting fish in a barrel and tons of laughs! 😈

December 7, 2011 at 7:26 pm |
  14. Ungodly Discipline

@hippypoet

Dude, if you were a chick would you shave your pits? Also, would you switch from Glenfiddich to Char-donnay?

December 7, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
    • hippypoet

i will never give up the lovely glenfiddich! and for the pits, thats a question i can't answer at the moment – but i think i might, the hair gets at me now! same questions for you...

December 7, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
    • What Rick Perry is Thinking Right Now

I am going full hairy legs and pits. I can't afford Glenfiddich so I will stick with Boddingtons.

December 7, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • hippypoet

nah, clan mcgregger is cheaper and nearly tastes like 12 yr old glenfiddich...granted i perfer the 21 or 30 i don't normally drop $300 on a bottle just for the night, thats a special event kinda thing!

December 7, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

If I were a chick I would shave EVERYTHING and wear really short skirts and drink whatever other boys and girls bought me. Life would be sweet.

December 7, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
  15. Erik

Doesn't matter what he says he'll do now...in the unlikely event that he wins the presidency, he'll forget anyway.

December 7, 2011 at 3:53 pm |

Forget What?

December 7, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • Erik

i can't remember anymore...

December 7, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
  16. William Demuth

My curiosity is peaked.

Does anyone here want to support Mr Perry?

Not those who vote as a political statement based on the assumption he will lose, but someone who honestly believes that he is up to the job, and actually the best choice?

And if so, can they justify it without religion?

December 7, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • William Demuth

Nuff Said!

December 7, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • What Rick Perry is Thinking Right Now

I like eggs.

December 7, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
  17. What Rick Perry is Thinking Right Now

I like eggs. I likes 'em hard boiled, poached, scrambled, over easy, over medium, sunny side up.....I loves eggs.

December 7, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • Lulz

AND SAVE A PRETZEL FOR THE GAS JETS!

December 7, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
    • What Rick Perry is Thinking Right Now

I loves eggs. Omlettes, egg sammich, eggs benedict. Loves 'em.

December 7, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • Lulz

tell me you have seen that vid of the rick perry lip synch. friggin hilarious!

Ouce cream is cheyp, FACT!

December 7, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
    • What Rick Perry is Thinking Right Now

Eggs are good.

December 7, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
  18. Andrew

"The sad thing is that the electorate he is dependent upon are that mind-numbingly stupid that this will likely appeal to them.

December 7, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

They elected Dubya.....twice. Can't get more mind-numbing than that.

December 7, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
  19. boocat

And I'd tell Gov. Perry there is something wrong with a christian who is pro-death penalty and will pull the switch at the blink of an eye. If this is an example of "christian" thinking I'll pass. The only war this guy has going is the war on education. Perry is dumber than a spatula.

December 7, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
    • William Demuth

Finally some sense.

Considering Christ was executed, I would think the faith would reject ALL executions, if for no other reason than the supposed suffering of their beloved savior.

Pontious Perry has a nice ring to it!

December 7, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
    • en garde

How dare you insult spatulas! Prepare for a duel of spoo-ns!

December 7, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
    • George

December 7, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
    • ....

"I see. Conservative Christians are dumb. Before calling anyone dumb, take a look in the mirror."

How's that log doing in yours?

December 7, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
  20. Reality

Dear Mr. Perry,

You really need to update your basic knowledge of religion. For a 21st century summary:

1. origin: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F20E1EFE35540C7A8CDDAA0894DA404482

“New Torah For Modern Minds

Abraham, the Jewish patriarch, probably never existed. Nor did Moses. The entire Exodus story as recounted in the Bible probably never occurred. The same is true of the tumbling of the walls of Jericho. And David, far from being the fearless king who built Jerusalem into a mighty capital, was more likely a provincial leader whose reputation was later magnified to provide a rallying point for a fledgling nation.

Such startling propositions – the product of findings by archaeologists digging in Israel and its environs over the last 25 years – have gained wide acceptance among non-Orthodox rabbis. But there has been no attempt to disseminate these ideas or to discuss them with the laity – until now.

The United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, which represents the 1.5 million Conservative Jews in the United States, has just issued a new Torah and commentary, the first for Conservatives in more than 60 years. Called "Etz Hayim" ("Tree of Life" in Hebrew), it offers an interpretation that incorporates the latest findings from archaeology, philology, anthropology and the study of ancient cultures. To the editors who worked on the book, it represents one of the boldest efforts ever to introduce into the religious mainstream a view of the Bible as a human rather than divine docu-ment. “

2. Jesus was an illiterate Jewish peasant/carpenter/simple preacher man who suffered from hallucinations (or “mythicizing” from P, M, M, L and J) and who has been characterized anywhere from the Messiah from Nazareth to a mythical character from mythical Nazareth to a ma-mzer from Nazareth (Professor Bruce Chilton, in his book Rabbi Jesus). An-alyses of Jesus’ life by many contemporary NT scholars (e.g. Professors Ludemann, Crossan, Borg and Fredriksen, ) via the NT and related doc-uments have concluded that only about 30% of Jesus' sayings and ways noted in the NT were authentic. The rest being embellishments (e.g. miracles)/hallucinations made/had by the NT authors to impress various Christian, Jewish and Pagan sects.

The 30% of the NT that is "authentic Jesus" like everything in life was borrowed/plagiarized and/or improved from those who came before. In Jesus' case, it was the ways and sayings of the Babylonians, Greeks, Persians, Egyptians, Hitt-ites, Canaanites, OT, John the Baptizer and possibly the ways and sayings of traveling Greek Cynics.

earlychristianwritings.com/theories.html

For added "pizzazz", Catholic theologians divided god the singularity into three persons and invented atonement as an added guilt trip for the "pew people" to go along with this trinity of overseers. By doing so, they made god the padre into god the "filicider".

Current RCC problems:

Pedophiliac priests, an all-male, mostly white hierarchy, atonement theology and original sin!!!!

2 b., Luther, Calvin, Joe Smith, Henry VIII, Wesley, Roger Williams, the Great “Babs” et al, founders of Christian-based religions or combination religions also suffered from the belief in/hallucinations of "pretty wingie thingie" visits and "prophecies" for profits analogous to the myths of Catholicism (resurrections, apparitions, ascensions and immacu-late co-nceptions).

Current problems:
    Adulterous preachers, pedophiliac clerics, "propheteering/ profiteering" evangelicals and atonement theology,

3. Mohammed was an illiterate, womanizing, lust and greed-driven, warmongering, hallucinating Arab, who also had embellishing/hallucinating/plagiarizing scribal biographers who not only added "angels" and flying chariots to the koran but also a militaristic agenda to support the plundering and looting of the lands of non-believers.

This agenda continues as shown by the ma-ssacre in Mumbai, the as-sas-sinations of Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh, the conduct of the seven Muslim doctors in the UK, the 9/11 terrorists, the 24/7 Sunni suicide/roadside/market/mosque bombers, the 24/7 Shiite suicide/roadside/market/mosque bombers, the Islamic bombers of the trains in the UK and Spain, the Bali crazies, the Kenya crazies, the Pakistani “koranics”, the Palestine suicide bombers/rocketeers, the Lebanese nutcases, the Taliban nut jobs, the Ft. Hood follower of the koran, and the Filipino “koranics”.

And who funds this muck and stench of terror? The warmongering, Islamic, Shiite terror and torture theocracy of Iran aka the Third Axis of Evil and also the Sunni "Wannabees" of Saudi Arabia.

Current crises:

The Sunni-Shiite blood feud and the warmongering, womanizing (11 wives), hallucinating founder.

5. Hinduism (from an online Hindu site) – "Hinduism cannot be described as an organized religion. It is not founded by any individual. Hinduism is God centered and therefore one can call Hinduism as founded by God, because the answer to the question ‘Who is behind the eternal principles and who makes them work?’ will have to be ‘Cosmic power, Divine power, God’."

The caste/laborer system, reincarnation and cow worship/reverence are problems when saying a fair and rational God founded Hinduism."

Current problems:

The caste system, reincarnation and cow worship/reverence.

6. Buddhism- "Buddhism began in India about 500 years before the birth of Christ. The people living at that time had become disillusioned with certain beliefs of Hinduism including the caste system, which had grown extremely complex. The number of outcasts (those who did not belong to any particular caste) was continuing to grow."

"However, in Buddhism, like so many other religions, fanciful stories arose concerning events in the life of the founder, Siddhartha Gautama (fifth century B.C.):"

Archaeological discoveries have proved, beyond a doubt, his historical character, but apart from the legends we know very little about the circu-mstances of his life. e.g. Buddha by one legend was supposedly talking when he came out of his mother's womb.

Bottom line: There are many good ways of living but be aware of the hallucinations, embellishments, lies, and myths surrounding the founders and foundations of said rules of life.

December 7, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
    • scrotus

I can't believe you would be so dumb as to think Perry even knows how to read.

December 7, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
    • Lulz

HAHAH, scrotum has the reply of the day!

December 7, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
    • Lulz

sorry i meant scrotus, haha

December 7, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • What Rick Perry is Thinking Right Now

I wish I knew how to read.

December 7, 2011 at 4:19 pm |