home
RSS
Study: Some atheists with children attend religious services
December 7th, 2011

Study: Some atheists with children attend religious services

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – Nearly one in five atheist scientists with children involve their families with religious institutions, even if they personally do not agree with the institutions teachings, a recent study says.

The study, conducted by Rice University and the University at Buffalo, found that these scientists affiliate with churches for both social and personal reasons. Additionally, the scientists indicated a strong desire to prepare their children to make educated decisions about their personal religious preference.

“This was so surprising to us just because of all of the public discussion about the ways in which scientists are very against religions people,” said Elaine Howard Ecklund, a sociologist at Rice. “When in fact, those we might most expect to be against religious people are sitting alongside them.”

Study participants also indicated they were involved in a religious institution because of the religious preferences of a spouse or partner.

One of the most interesting findings, according to Ecklund, was that some atheist scientists want to expose their children to religion due to scientific reasoning.

"We thought that these individuals might be less inclined to introduce their children to religious traditions, but we found the exact opposite to be true," Ecklund said. "They want their children to have choices, and it is more consistent with their science identity to expose their children to all sources of knowledge."

"I think that understanding how nonreligious scientists utilize religion in family life demonstrates the important function they have in the U.S.," Ecklund said.

Sociologist Kristen Schultz Lee of University of Buffalo co-authored the study, which can be found in the December issue of the Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion.

The data was pulled from a survey of 2,198 tenured or tenure-track faculty at 21 U.S. research universities. Around half of survey respondents identified a form of religious identity, while the other half did not.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Church • Culture & Science

soundoff (2,129 Responses)
  1. b4bigbang

1 (To the chief Musician, [A Psalm] of David.) The fool hath said in his heart, [There is] no God.
    They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, [there is] none that doeth good.

December 10, 2011 at 1:27 am |
  2. Ryan

To me, this was another pointless study where the results were obvious. FYI, this phenomena is not just for atheists, it also applies to all other religions which are not dominate in a community. There are a lot of people out there who do not believe in your God, but still realize that there are certain things that are fundamentally good about organized religion.

December 9, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
  3. economical

Whether or not you believe in God, He still exists because His existence is not dependent upon your believing. The truth is not dependent upon you.

December 9, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
  4. czerendipity

Atheist "scientists"? Not believing in a higher power doesn't make you a scientist any more than believing in a higher power would make you a scientist. It just means you have a belief / opinion. PPPffft.

December 9, 2011 at 11:35 am |
    • Jay

Did you notice that they are speaking about scientists who ARE atheist being polled? They didn't claim that they were scientists because they are atheist. Seriously. Read more carefully next time.

December 9, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
  5. GodofLunaticsCreation

Religious people should be treated like mental patients and if they want to have kids they should either be taken away or under observation by a sane person.

December 8, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  6. gnostic

I was raised without religion, as were my parents. However, I'm considering taking my future children to religious services for the sense of community they bring. I always felt very alone in my predominately Christian town, and I don't want my children to experience that. Also, many of the messages that Jesus taught contain values that I would like my children to have, such as treating others fairly and helping those who are less fortunate. The bible has a lot of good in it, but one must be logical and ignore all that nasty Old Testament stuff.

December 8, 2011 at 9:53 pm |
    • GodofLunaticsCreation

You may wish you had never done that. Religion is like a Cancer.

December 8, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
    • Cryspyx

So the community you want to give them is a community that excludes others for not believing the same as they? Nice values to teach your future kids.

December 9, 2011 at 11:36 am |
    • gnostic

Not all religions are close-minded towards those of other faiths and opinions. Being so close-minded yourselves is just as bad as those religions who exclude others. The vast majority of the world is religious in some way; acting as if religious people are stupid or crazy isn't just rude, it's extremely foolish. I want others to respect my right to not believe in anything, so why shouldn't I respect their right to believe in something?
      Smarmy, self-centered, nasty atheists are just as bad as religious zealots.

December 9, 2011 at 11:42 pm |
  7. HeavenSent

Heaven sent us tsunamis, earthquakes, floods, storms, and other natural disasters, plus cancers, lupus, typhoid, malaria, and other diseases too numerous to mention, that have caused horrid suffering and death to millions of innocent people.

Wow, god must be quite the azzhole. And I'm an ugly and fat saggy old hag. And I fa-rt too much.

December 8, 2011 at 7:14 pm |
    • HeavenSent

This is SOOOO not me. You handle stealer you! Get a life! Have some respect! I mean come on, who would take some one elses name and put words in their mouth. I mean I like things in my mouth just as much as the next w h o r e, but geez, could you at least wash it first?...

@men...

December 8, 2011 at 7:18 pm |
    • warmesTghosT

Actually Heaven didn't send us any of that, those are all naturally occurring phenomena on this planet. Nothing divine or demonic about them.

I don't know anything about God, but I wouldn't call Him an as-shole. Now, the Christian God, yes He is kind of an as-shole. But that version of God doesn't exist.

December 8, 2011 at 7:45 pm |
  8. AK in AK

this isn't surprising... but I do so love watching the religious people try to package up ALL atheists as one type... there are good and bad atheists just like there are good and bad people any ANY religion! I for one will encourage my children to explore ALL religions and choose what they want to believe, or choose as I have not to believe in religion. I won't try to brainwash them from birth in to having the same beliefs as I do!

December 8, 2011 at 6:36 pm |
  9. bagger

how is atheism a religion? is not smoking a habit? is not collecting stamps a hobby?

December 8, 2011 at 1:01 pm |
    • GodPot

I kicked the non-smoking habit a couple of years ago now. Was a lot easier than I thought... 'cough' 'cough'...

December 8, 2011 at 7:15 pm |
  10. redcleric

It's still only 20% of them... so most, 80% don't want their kids exposed to that which might change them. Sort of like reverse home schooling.

December 8, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
    • HellBent

That's not a logical as.sumption. As an atheist, I'm fine with my children attending a religious service to learn more about it, but I find there are better things to do on Sunday mornings.

December 8, 2011 at 12:25 pm |
    • MarkinFL

I personally do not believe going to church has any real value. I would like my kids to have more opportunity to take classes about various religions. My kids are free to visit churches/synagogues, etc. with their friends ( and they have ). I have far better things to do on a Sunday morning ( or Saturday night, or Wed. night, etc. )
      Also, there are far too many variations to choose from, comparative religion via field trips would take years just to do a single sample of each, much less become truly informed. If I have a specific reason to go to a church that is fine with me, otherwise I really do not have much personal use for them.

December 8, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
    • HotAirAce

My children know they are free to believe anything or attend any cult they like. They also know that if they become the least bit religious (with me be the sole arbiter) they will not inherit one cent.

December 8, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
    • Queen Of Cold Hearts

@Hot Air Ace, you said:

"They also know that if they become the least bit religious (with me be the sole arbiter) they will not inherit one cent."

Have you ever heard this statement?:

"Believe in God or you shall burn in hell"

Does it ring a bell, Sweetiee?

You are getting religious, aren't you?

December 8, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
    • HotAirAce

I fully recognize the parallel, but don't see it as religious. I see it more like a civil law – if you do something stupid like break a speed limit or commit murder, here's the consequence.

December 8, 2011 at 7:07 pm |
    • captain america

Who gives a sh it what a canadian does so long as they keep their stupidity in their own country where it belongs. Of course atheist bull sh it really does not belong anywhere.

December 8, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
    • warmesTghosT

captain america, what exactly do you have against Canadians? They're just about the best neighbors any country could ask for...

You're making us all look like intolerant, ignorant angry bigots.

Oh...damn. Carry on, I suppose.

December 8, 2011 at 7:47 pm |
    • captain america

You all better check your history for the definition of good neighbor,canada founded by traitors of the American revolution, vandals and kidnappers who torched Washington D.C. and forced American citizens into servitude. Gave the false impression of needing help to overthrow British tyranny,then seized, hung and imprisoned the American freedom fighters who rallied to their phony cause... and lots more.
      Quote of the day : The great president Lyndon Johnson to canadian leader lester pearson "Don't come in my living room and pi ss on my rug" this said while holding the man off the floor by the throat. Does that sound like LBJ was willing to take crap off canadians?

December 8, 2011 at 9:27 pm |
    • HotAirAce

CA, you need to move into at least the 19th century! The stuff you are whining about happened way before Canada became a country.

December 8, 2011 at 9:40 pm |
    • Snow

talking about the roots.. wasn't ye olde country established by people who were kicked out of their homes for not following the law? and then finding a new place, quickly killing its native population to the tenth of its numbers before planting their flag? Oh I forgot, looting the natives of their properties when they felt like..

Murderers and Scavengers are two words that come to mind to describe them. Following your analogy, you being the descendents of those murderers fall into the same category you accuse the others of..

or did you conveniently forget your own history, "captain jacka$$"?

December 8, 2011 at 9:41 pm |
    • GodofLunaticsCreation

Hey Captain Taliban. Next time you get sick just pray it away. The world could use less neanderthals. Ps Jesus was a pedo!

December 8, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  11. AGuest9

"Know thine enemy."

December 8, 2011 at 10:28 am |
    • AGuest9

"Ecklund said there were cases in which survey respondents identified that not only did they introduce their children to one church, but they also attended other religious services in the hope that the children would better understand each denomination."

In order to show and say, "See? They're ALL deluded!"

December 8, 2011 at 10:38 am |
    • AnnihilAtheists

They should be careful what they wish for.

December 8, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
    • GodofLunaticsCreation

An atheist should only take their children to church for the same reason they take their kids to the zoo. To watch the monkeys throw feces at each other and beat their chest.

December 8, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  12. Old Hippie

I'm greatful we all have the freedom to attend religious
    service if we want to go. Or not, if we dont want to go.

December 8, 2011 at 7:37 am |
    • Nonimus

Absolutely! I agree!
      Praise the founding fathers!

December 8, 2011 at 10:01 am |
    • Snow

.. which the right wingbats want to quickly change! and bring the lord jebus into the govt and bring back the good old days (dark ages, I suppose).

December 8, 2011 at 9:25 pm |
    • GodofLunaticsCreation

You would probably be glad they could go visit the taliban too. Your kids would learn just as much as in a Christian death cult church.

December 8, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  13. Reality

Its the numbers that count:

o http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html
    o
    Religion........ Adherents

Christianity....... 2.1 billion (subdivided into 1 billion mostly luke-warm Catholics and 1.1 billion "red-neck" Protestants)

Islam....... 1.5 billion (subdivided into ~900 million Sunnis who hate ~300 million Shiites with some weird offshoots (Talibaners, Sufis, Wahhabis, "Bin Ladiners", Kahrijites, Ismailis, Zaidis, Fatimids, Assassins aka Nizaris, Alawis, Druze, Ahmadiyya ????)

Irreligious/agnostic/atheism 1.1 billion,

Tenrikyo 2 million
    Neo-Paganism 1 million
    Unitarian Universalism 800,000
    Rastafari Movement 600,000

December 8, 2011 at 12:33 am |
    • GodofLunaticsCreation

So their point is that 2.1 billion people can't be wrong but the other 5 billion are wrong. More Christian Logic.

December 8, 2011 at 12:36 am |
    • Reality

“John Hick, a noted British philosopher of religion, estimates that 95 percent of the people of the world owe their religious affiliation to an accident (the randomness) of birth. The faith of the vast majority of believers depends upon where they were born and when. Those born in Saudi Arabia will almost certainly be Moslems, and those born and raised in India will for the most part be Hindus. Nevertheless, the religion of millions of people can sometimes change abruptly in the face of major political and social upheavals. In the middle of the sixth century ce, virtually all the people of the Near East and Northern Africa, including Turkey, Syria, Iraq, and Egypt were Christian. By the end of the following century, the people in these lands were largely Moslem, as a result of the militant spread of Islam.

The Situation Today
      Barring military conquest, conversion to a faith other than that of one’s birth is rare. Some Jews, Moslems, and Hindus do convert to Christianity, but not often. Similarly, it is not common for Christians to become Moslems or Jews. Most people are satisfied that their own faith is the true one or at least good enough to satisfy their religious and emotional needs. Had St. Augustine or St. Thomas Aquinas been born in Mecca at the start of the present century, the chances are that they would not have been Christians but loyal followers of the prophet Mohammed. “ J. Somerville

It is very disturbing that religious narrow- mindedness, intolerance, violence and hatred continues unabated due to randomness of birth. Maybe, just maybe if this fact would be published on the first page of every newspaper every day, that we would finally realize the significant stupidity of all religions.

December 8, 2011 at 7:43 am |
    • StAtheistics

To sum-up Reality's post.

All believers comprises 84% of earth's populace while all non-believers has the (16%) rest. But......ONLY 2% of which, (as in 2% of 16%)is atheists share.

Apparently it's the reason why Wikepedia has some difficulties of quantifying atheists numbers. They need to stick with other non-believers to have a bit of significance. PITY!

December 8, 2011 at 7:06 pm |
    • .........

The only logical response to reality is to hit report abuse on all it's bull sh it.

December 8, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
    • what?

"........."

You know they make tampons for that.

December 8, 2011 at 7:10 pm |
    • LunAtheicst

GodofLunaticsCreation

And your point is..? The more or less 24 millions is right that there is no God while the at least 7 BILLIONS is wrong and deluded fools, huh?

December 8, 2011 at 7:25 pm |
    • LunAtheicst

Allow me to do some rephrasing:

The more or less 24 millions is right that "absolutely" there is no God

December 8, 2011 at 7:30 pm |
    • Snow

Lun.. I have to ask.. would you accept the muslim god or hindu god as a god?

I am guessing not.. coz jebus is your only god..

which means you think 2.1 billion are "absolutely" right and the other 5 billion are "absolutely" wrong.. Now whose logic has some fallacy in it

December 8, 2011 at 9:30 pm |
    • LunAtheicst

@Snow

Apparently, it will not matter whether I believe or not the God of other religions.

Christians though have the lion share of the earth's populace doesn't represent ALL Believers.

December 8, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
    • GodofLunaticsCreation

LOL Luna, I see the truth hurts. Im not the one saying that numbers matter. I personally believe that the majority of people are as a dumb as you. I was just destroying your argument using your own idiotic logic. So 5 billion people say Christians are a cult. Does it hurt to know that you are living in a world that doesn't share your belief in the Christ myth? I forget that on your flat Earth logic doesn't apply. Have fun living a lie. ; ) Im sure this is all over your head though.

December 8, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
    • GodofLunaticsCreation

You are a Christian because geography. If you grew up in the Middle East you would be declaring Jihad.

December 8, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
    • LunAtheicst

GodofLunaticsCreation you said:

"Im not the one saying that numbers matter." And....

"I was just destroying your argument using your own idiotic logic."

Did I? Are you sure that it was my "idiotic logic" you were using?

lol! to your ignorance and another (massive) LOL! to your stupidity.

You know why I said that? Do yourself a favor, scroll up until you reach the original post.

Do you know who, I mean what kind "Reality" is? You are new on this blog, aren't you? Or, you're just plain ignorant and STUPID! OR.............just drunk? LOL!

December 9, 2011 at 7:37 pm |
  14. myklds

Science + Religion = Absolute truth

December 7, 2011 at 11:34 pm |
    • The cross is great for target practice.

lol

absolute truth would be an equation that doesn't include religion

December 8, 2011 at 12:31 am |
    • AGuest9

Science + Religion = Partial falsehood

December 8, 2011 at 10:30 am |
    • Modmon

myklds = dumbfuck little jerk who hijacks the names of other posters.

December 8, 2011 at 12:08 pm |
    • Modmon

I'm a dolt with a butthole on my forehead.

December 8, 2011 at 6:36 pm |
    • Sam Yaza

Ok neither science no religion are absolute truths. These absolutes are 1. Death everything has an end. 2. The connection no one goes it alone you will find someone you connect with whether it’s good or bad. 3. Mugi’s cake is delicious. these are the only things that are 100% truth.

December 8, 2011 at 7:14 pm |
    • myklds

When Science and Religion met it will become an absolute truth. Otherwise, it is an absolute fallacy.

December 8, 2011 at 7:34 pm |
    • GodofLunaticsCreation

Science doesn't mix with horse shlt.

December 8, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  15. GodofLunaticsCreation

I hope I get the most Solstice gifts under the Yule tree this year. I've been awfull good. *

December 7, 2011 at 11:31 pm |
    • Snow

no GLC.. It does not matter how good you were.. It does not matter how much you helped people in need. You did not accept Jebus into your heart.. so no cookies or gifts for you, and look forward to burn in hell.. 🙂

December 8, 2011 at 9:32 pm |
    • GodofLunaticsCreation

I know snow, these Christian cultists are worse than terrorists. They should be locked in Guantanamo.

December 8, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
    • Lorraine

So, no freedom of religion for you, then. I suppose we should switch over to a fascist state to appease your dislike of Christians.

January 24, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
  16. Matt Crockett

One thing I found really odd about the article is that it implied that a person either was scientific OR religious. A fair number of people are both. Christians who advocate concepts like BioLogos believe that since God created the universe any result of honest research, however surprising, is by definition how God made things.

December 7, 2011 at 11:29 pm |
    • MarkinFL

The article very clearly differentiates "atheist scientists" as a sub-category.

December 8, 2011 at 9:31 am |
  17. HeIsGod

Let their children break the curse that the Atheist parents are bringing to their homes and children.

December 7, 2011 at 11:10 pm |
    • GodofLunaticsCreation

Ya Im tearing myself apart trying to figure out which of my homes I want to visit. I think some Christians need CPS to take their kids away before they refuse treatment and try to pray the cancer away. Im sure this will eventually have to happen.

December 7, 2011 at 11:13 pm |
    • HeIsGod

LOL, GLC, I did pray to God for my healing when I had cancer.....guess what, I was healed!!

December 7, 2011 at 11:15 pm |

OOOH LAWDY LAWDY!!!! LOL

December 7, 2011 at 11:16 pm |
    • HeIsGod

LOL, GLC.....PRAISE THE LORD FOR MY HEALING THAT TOOK PLACE 15 YEARS AGO!!

December 7, 2011 at 11:24 pm |

He cured mine too!

December 7, 2011 at 11:31 pm |
    • Betty Wooster

Well, i drove myself to chemo every day and that cured my cancer i guarantee god had nothing to do with it since i never asked once. I understand the part about how you think the bible says for you to tell people about salvation, but where is the part where it says its ok for you to get desperate and all ends-justify-the-means (i.e. pushy) about it? To me, thats what is so off-putting about evangelicals, that they seem to think their interpretation of how to win souls trumls the love-thy-neighbor approach which Jesus made painfully clear. Seems to me youd be demonstrating deeper faith if you hadthe courage to live a quietly loving example with genuine charity-begins-at-home pleasantness vs. the too-"certain" sledgehammer of righteous indignation and unclassy desperation that is so ubiquitous these days. More atheists i jnow tha christians live WWJD.

December 7, 2011 at 11:47 pm |
    • The cross is great for target practice.

why did god give you cancer to begin with anyway?

December 8, 2011 at 12:32 am |
    • MarkinFL

That's the "mystery" dontcha know?

December 8, 2011 at 9:32 am |
    • GodofLunaticsCreation

HeIsGay, Hemorrhoids isn't cancer and you probably got them from all those priests entering at the same time.

December 8, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  18. GodofLunaticsCreation

Wikipedia states... "There is often little coverage of the "No religious denomination" category (which includes deists, agnostics, atheists, and theists) although some evidence suggests they are growing rapidly. In the United States[1] the so-called "Nones" are the fastest growing religious status; Australia, Canada and much of Europe have also seen dramatic increases in the numbers of non-religious people."
    Also........."According to Guinness Book of World Records, Islam is the world’s fastest-growing religion by number of conversions each year: Although the religion began in Arabia, by 2002 80% of all believers in Islam lived outside the Arab world. In the period 1990-2000, approximately 12.5 million more people converted to Islam than to Christianity.[24] In 1990, 935 million people were Muslims and this figure had risen to around 1.2 billion by the year 2000, meaning that around this time one in five people were followers of Islam. According to the BBC, a comprehensive American study concluded in 2009 the number stood at 1 in 4 with 60% of Muslims spread all over the Asian continent: A report from an American think-tank has estimated 1.57 billion Muslims populate the world – with 60% in Asia.[25][26] The report was done by the Pew Forum Research Centre.[26] The forum also projected that in 2010 out of the total number of Muslims in the world 62.1% will live in Asia.[25]"

December 7, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
    • GodofLunaticsCreation

Egg meet face! How typical.

December 7, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
    • GodofLunaticsCreation

This is a response to a person who quoted the same source.

December 7, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
    • Breed Winner

Ey GOLC, would you mind to give here the link?

December 7, 2011 at 11:15 pm |
    • GodofLunaticsCreation

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claims_to_be_the_fastest-growing_religion en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism

December 7, 2011 at 11:19 pm |
    • Breed Winner

Good Kiddo! you've just busted the myth saying "You can't teach old dogs to learn new tricks"

Your Breed is a Winner! CONGRATULATION!!!! LOL!LOL!LOL!LOL!LOL!LOL!LOL!

December 7, 2011 at 11:26 pm |
    • GodofLunaticsCreation

Well Christians did learn to use computers although none of them have made an appearance on this sound off board.

December 7, 2011 at 11:57 pm |
    • LOL

You should change you moniker to GodofLOLnaticsCreation. LOL!

December 8, 2011 at 12:21 am |

I will get on that.

December 8, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
    • LunAtheicst

I doubt you'll be able to get it. You need to return that brain you're using now to that fairy wasp you borrowed it from and should go for bigger one. Try asking from a mosquito, maybe he/she/it could be a lil generous, it's Christmas season anyway.

December 9, 2011 at 7:58 pm |
  19. Make a Wish

Hope that regular atheists here will come to know the Lord on a personal level by this Christmas!

December 7, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
    • GodofLunaticsCreation

Happy Winter Solstice! : )

December 7, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
    • GodofLunaticsCreation

Did you get your Spruce tree yet?

December 7, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
    • AGuest9

I will likely read some Doctor Who or other fiction over the Yule. I don't need to go to a church, thanks.

December 8, 2011 at 10:33 am |
    • warmesTghosT

I know enough about "the Lord" to know that he probably never existed in the first place and was likely simply a cunning amalgamation of earlier creation myths repackaged to be more palatable to the lower castes of ancient society.

But Happy Holydaze to you, sir!

December 8, 2011 at 7:50 pm |
  20. GodofLunaticsCreation

Happy Winter Solstice! I see you all have your pagan trees ready.

December 7, 2011 at 9:53 pm |
    • LunAtheicst

Advance Merry Christmas to you. Hope your entire family have peace, harmony and love in this season and all year through.

December 8, 2011 at 7:15 pm |
    • tea party

Peace to all ...no matter what religion faith or lack of it....

December 8, 2011 at 9:01 pm |
    • A cup of tea

I'll drink to that, CHEERS!!!

December 8, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
    • GodofLunaticsCreation

Sure you do Lun. I know you are a blood thirsty neanderthal. Go touch your son.

December 8, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
    • LunAtheicst

So what role do you play now, a Gypsy, Nostradamus or the Oracle? Are you using cards, crystal ball or just your balls? LOL!

December 9, 2011 at 7:46 pm |