home
RSS
Black, atheist and living in the South
A group of black atheists meets in Atlanta.
December 8th, 2011

Black, atheist and living in the South

By Kim Chakanetsa, CNN

Editor's note: Listen to the CNN Radio broadcast about black atheists in the South:

(CNN) - Benjamin Burchall first realized how different his experience in the South was going to be while looking for something to watch on television on a Sunday night.

"I couldn't find anything on television but religious programming,” says Burchall, 38, a former Christian minister and agricultural consultant who moved from Long Beach, California, to Atlanta for work in 2010, “And I thought, 'Oh my God, where am I? Is this all that is on television here?'"

And he quickly found other differences from West Coast living.

"I was not used to meeting someone for the first time and having their first question be ‘what church do you go to?’"

Mandisa Thomas, a mother of three, has lived in Atlanta for more than 13 years. An atheist since her early 20s, Thomas has a two-pronged strategy when it comes to dealing with the religion question. The first is simply not talking about it unless someone else brings it up.

The second is a kind of warning: “I will ask, ‘Are you sure you want to hear this?’” she says. The goal, Thomas says, is to avoid unnecessary confrontations.

But there are other situations that are simply a part of living down South.

Take the Walmart employee who suggested Thomas come back for gospel singer Yolanda Adams’ book signing, or the stranger who approached her and asked if she was born again and implored her to turn her life to Jesus when she said she wasn’t.

“There is an assumption that black woman in particular are religious,” says Thomas.

Statistics suggest that is a fair assumption to make. A much-cited study published in 2008 by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life found that of all the major racial and ethnic groups in the United States, black Americans are most likely to report a formal religious affiliation. Less than 1.5% of blacks identify themselves as atheist or agnostic, compared with 5% of whites and 7% of Asians.

The same study notes that nearly four of five African-Americans (79%) say religion is very important in their lives, compared with 56% among all U.S.adults.

However, the trend among black Americans is toward greater levels of nonbelief. The number of blacks reporting no religion in American Religious Identification Survey almost doubled between 1990 and 2008.

In the South, this trend is witnessed by the emergence of groups such as the Black Nonbelievers of Atlanta (BNOA), and the Humanist Congregation of Greater Atlanta. The proliferation of YouTube videos and forum postings by Southern atheists also suggest a growing desire to build a community for the religiously unaffiliated.

Burchall says it’s not necessarily the case that there are more black atheists these days, “but there is an increase in the number of people coming out and saying they are black atheists.”

And there are more organizations looking to decouple black culture from religion. In January, Burchall and Thomas co-founded BNOA with the aim of bringing together black atheists who might otherwise be shunned by family and friends. Burchall and Thomas had initially joined an atheist group in Atlanta, but they wanted an organization that spoke directly to their experiences as African-Americans.

For most of American history, meaning in the African-American community has been tied to religion.

“The church has always been at the forefront of providing meaning, identity, mission and purpose for the lives of African-American people,” says Gregory Eason, the senior pastor at the historic Big Bethel AME Church in downtown Atlanta.

Many black atheists argue that Christianity was imposed on African slaves in the United States and are uneasy with how fully African-Americans have embraced it.

“It was forced on our ancestors; now their descendants have fallen for it hook, line and sinker and it has been such a part of our culture,” says Burchall.

“Oftentimes blacks believe that Christianity is black culture, and if you are not Christian you are not part of the community,” he says. “After all, it was Christianity that helped us through slavery times and the civil rights movement.”

For Mario Dorsey, an Atlanta native, Black Nonbelievers of Atlanta helped him feel comfortable with moving away from that tradition.

“I joined because I felt that in the black community religion was much more of a social movement, almost like a mass hypnotism,” Dorsey says. “It felt pretty cool to be part of a group that actually thought like I do.”

Like many black atheists, Dorsey does not announce his atheism loudly.

“For the most part I don’t walk around with atheist on my shoulder," he says. "Most people won’t know unless they ask me, but when I am asked I get this really weird reaction as if I’d said I torture monkeys for a living or something. It’s really weird.”

Dorsey acts as the organization’s lead online administrator. The role is particularly important as the Internet has played a significant role in recruiting members. Thomas, the current president, estimates they have about 30 people who regularly attend meetings. The community online is even larger, with up to 150 members.

Burchall, who left Black Nonbelievers of Atlanta in June this year to pursue other opportunities, has since founded another organization, the Humanist Congregation of Greater Atlanta.

Dominique Huff, another lifelong Atlantan, the son of a preacher, first heard about Black Nonbelievers of Atlanta on Facebook. He says he became a nonbeliever in high school.

It hasn't been particularly easy living in a city where “it’s always, ‘Have a blessed day,’ and you see churches on every street corner,” he says. But since 2000, Huff has slowly chosen to embrace his nonbelief, a decision that has not been easy for his minister mother.

“She is kind of in denial about it,” Huff says. “It is not a conversation we have. She still tries to pray with me. I pray along with her. I am like, ‘That’s where you at; that’s not for me.' There is like an invisible line we just never talk about.”

The online conversation is particularly vibrant, with numerous YouTube postings and blogs addressing the cultural taboo. A posting dated February 24, 2011, found on the Atheist Nexus, an umbrella networking organization, spoke of the difficulty of being black, atheist and homosexual in Mississippi. The member has since started a ‘secret’ Facebook group targeting other atheists and in April 2011 noted that of the 85 atheists who had joined, 10 were black.

The impetus for starting the group was made clear in a posting that read: “given how obsessed people in Mississippi are with Christianity, being an atheist here is very isolating and difficult. Add to that the fact that I'm Black and non-heterosexual, and we're talking social suicide.”

On ExChristian.net, a posting by a member identified as ‘kclark’ details the struggles of growing up in a religious household as a gay atheist in a small town in central Louisiana.

YouTube has become an especially popular outlet for African-Americans to declare their atheism. Jeremiah, a 20-year-old ‘living somewhere in the heart of the bible belt’ in April last year uploaded a video arguing that faith and the Bible are not evidence that God exists and affirming that he is proud to be an atheist. In a video uploaded in September 2009, Marquell Garrett, who is based in North Augusta, South Carolina, addresses the oft-asked question: where are the black atheists?

Garrett concludes that the consequences of declaring oneself an atheist in the black community have resulted in many nonbelievers remaining closeted.

Garrett also runs a blog titled Atheist Fighting Back Keeping Strong and Speaking Out‘ where he writes of his experiences of coming out as an atheist at age 14 in South Carolina.

Not all postings are related to a rejection of Christianity, however. A YouTube video by a member based in Birmingham, Alabama, who identifies himself as Bilal3700 details why he left Islam to become an atheist.

Unlike other parts of the South where activities by black atheists remain online, Atlanta appears to be spearheading the momentum with the creation of nonbeliever organizations such as the Humanist Congregation of Greater Atlanta, which allow a previously marginalized minority a voice and a community that goes beyond anonymous avatars.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Georgia • United States

soundoff (1,233 Responses)
  1. Gorilla Christian

Christians are forgiven and atheist do not need to be, I will lie & profess belief to avoid CHRISTIAN'S WRATH OF HATE.
    Praise the the LARD, I am WASHED IN THE BLOOD OF THE HAMB. GEESUS has set me free and I can lie and hate and I am forgiven. Gloria be and Helloluya. . Geesus died for ALL my sins & sins & sins. Although I sin, I am sin free because I believe that Geesus washes away my sins

December 8, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • warmesTghosT

I understand your position but you're not helping the cause.

December 8, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
    • RFBJR

God is not one to be mocked. Good luck, bro.

December 9, 2011 at 11:47 am |
    • Smukers

How on this planet do you mock something that does NOT exist?

December 9, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
    • @ RFBJR

"god" is not being mocked you moron, hypocritical believers are. age of enlightenment is upon us once again. more and more people are becoming rational and honest with themselves and accepting that all religions are just archaic myths.

December 9, 2011 at 12:35 pm |
    • Andrew

I agree that some Christians believe that view unfortunately.. Its really quite sad IMO.

December 9, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
  2. catholic engineer

When asked what church he belongs to, "Burchall’s proud response to such queries was, “None.” He is part of an increasingly visible minority – black atheists living in the Bible Belt." If you tell someone in the Bible belt you are atheist, pity is the most likely response. If you tell them you're a Catholic, you might as well tell them you're a satanist. I never ask this question of other people. My philosophy is to leave the issue alone, assuming the other person is where they are for a reason. I know why I'm a Catholic, but explaining this in the Bible belt is like giving them a drink of water out of fire hose.

December 8, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

Strange indeed. When someone professes their religious beliefs to me my first inclination is "you poor deluded fool" which of course is the same as pity. The difference is that they are worried about the fate of my soul(a completely unfounded speculation) whereas I'm worried about their grasp on reality.

December 8, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • Bob

CE, why are you a catholic? Seriously. The basic tenets of catholicism seem completely absurd.

December 8, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
    • GodPot

" I know why I'm a Catholic"...

Let me guess, you are one of those strange kids born of a father and a mother and one or the other or both of them were Catholic. If that was not why you are a Catholic then please explain to me why and how you would still be a Catholic if you had been born to some darker skinned parents in India or Iran.

December 8, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
    • The Phist

I still can't figure out for the life of me why anyone would make the choice to be a catholic. If you're going to be religious, could you at least choose something a little more exciting. If I died and went to heaven and it were anything like a catholic church service, I'd kill myself so I could go to hell.

December 8, 2011 at 7:36 pm |
    • Hi, I'm Kim K, and I have a really big butt

CE,
      'Atheist" is a noun, not an adjective. It's "atheistic". And I'm NOT an English major, (before you accuse me of that).

December 8, 2011 at 7:37 pm |
    • Smukers

@Kim with the BUTT – so you are not an English Major! We suppose "Protestantistic" is also proper. Enlist in English 101.

December 9, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
  3. hamsta

i live in new orleans.u cant get much more south than that.but my point is have any of u come back from the dead?i have and im going to tell u that all of u are wrong.

December 8, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

You were never dead moron. Otherwise you wouldn't be here to talk to us. Nearly dead doesn't count and the brain does funny things when it is in shock.

December 8, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
    • u b dumb

u b dumb.

December 8, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

@Hamsta: NED's don't count as coming back from the dead, they are merely the brains way of dealing with extreme trauma. I suggest you do some research before spewing your delusions. Really the information isn't hard to discover if you would learn to look at scientific answers opposed to your buybull. Try using a wonderful thing called GOOGLE...it will assist you in finding the informations.

December 8, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
    • catholic engineer

There is a massive amount of data involving the near death experience. Millions of people have reported these experiences, some even having been brain dead. Serious scientists have been investigating these phemomena and are beginning to take these experiences, well, seriously. I expect one of the responses you get is for people to stick their heads in the sand. People just can't endure paradigm shifts.

December 8, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
    • catholic engineer

@ AtheistSteve Do some googling youself. Look up A.J. Ayre, a famous atheist. Read his article "What I saw when I was dead".

December 8, 2011 at 5:55 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

I have looked into it. The fact is that the percentage of people who reported "entering a tunnel of light" experience was below 10%. A mere 18% remembered anything at all. Brain dead is dead...no one comes back from that. All patients who experienced NDE's were "clinically dead" which means they were without a heartbeat or respiration. Death is permanent and irreversible. People who experienced strange things while near death is hardly surprising but not any indication of some supposed afterlife. Wishful thinking isn't science.

December 8, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
    • Bob

CE, we've all heard these near death stories ad nauseum. No need for more googling, really. I personally just don't find their claims of divine intervention convincing, particularly given that your "god" just lets most apparently dying people die no matter what they plead and no matter how good a life they may have led. In fact, that a supposedly loving, omnipresent, and omnipotent god would let such people and their loved ones just suffer and die in most cases is more convincing that Christian god is complete fiction, than otherwise.

December 8, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

@Catholic Engineer: We are well aware that scientists have been investigating NDE's (in correction to my previous post where NED should have read NDE). We are not dismissing the fact that people claim they occur. The following website provides a good idea as to what happens. http://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/extrasensory-perceptions/near-death-experience.htm NDE's are certain to exist as stated within the article. The article looks at both the science and supernatural theories in regards to this issue.

December 8, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
    • So

"There is a massive amount of data involving the near death experience"

Herbie, aka CE...is back under another handle because where have we heard this nonsense before. LMAO!

December 8, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
    • Rick

So.......THE Herbie Juarez?

December 8, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
    • The Phist

Tunnel of light. heh.

So, you believe the Ghost Hunters show with all the drama is real too, right?

December 8, 2011 at 7:38 pm |
    • Hi, I'm Kim K, and I have a really big butt

Near death experiences prove nothing, except that deprivation of oxygen causes hallucinations. You really are THAT desperate or have nothing better ?

December 8, 2011 at 7:39 pm |
    • tnwoman1948

@hamsta

Leave them alone. They will find out one second after they die whether God exists or does not exist. I pity them, but God iss very MERCIFUL.

December 9, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
  4. Atheist Hunter

shout out to all the atheist! JESUS LOVES YOU!

December 8, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Jesus is dead. His relationship is with dirt.

December 8, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
    • Atheist Hunter

Jesus Lives and he's got your number.

December 8, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
    • HellBent

He thinks he has mine, but jokes on him – it was a fake one. I thought he was kinda creepy. Plus I'm a guy and straight.

December 8, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

Jesus is dead. Your own book tells you so. Rumors of his resurrection are speculative drivel. Sheesh...Some people will believe anything.

December 8, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
    • Nonimus

@Atheist Hunter,
      "Jesus Lives and he's got your number."
      If He's got my number, tell Him to quit playing stupid head games and give me a call already. This, "say you love me first, then I'll show myself," crap is childish and irritating. Until then He's about as real as that Nigerian prince I keep hearing about.

December 8, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
    • Chuckles

@Nonimus

YOU HAVE A NIGERIAN PRINCE AS A COUSIN TOO?! What are the odds?! I just sent him $50,000 just the other day and he promised me he'd get back to me with my seed money PLUS like a lot more money! I trust him completely because.....you know.....we're family.

December 8, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
    • Michaeltantino

@Atheist Hunter

It's amusing that so many attempt to point the "arrogance" label upon atheists yet think comments like yours are okay. You have your beliefs, good for you. I am not at all offended by your beliefs, but I do find hypocrites amusing.

December 8, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

Jesus??? You mean the zombie dude from the buybull...the creature that doesn't exist??
      Btw: Atheists don't need hunted...christards on the other hand require serious help to overcome their mental illness.

December 8, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

AH
      If Jesus were alive, why doesn't he ever come visit and share the good word? He wasn't invisible 2000 years ago. What happened?

December 8, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
    • Hi, I'm Kim K, and I have a really big butt

The plural of atheist is atheists.

December 8, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
    • @ Atheist Hunter

Darwin Love ya' buddy! He studied, learned and excelled in science for your not-so-original sin of ignorance.

December 9, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
  5. Curious

How does one "come out" as an atheist? "Atheism is nothing more than the noises reasonable people make when in the presence of religious dogma." Did the man just suddenly start making the appropriate noises?

December 8, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
  6. mikey

whose innocent?

and if we keep trying to kick God out then how can we expect Him to bless us?

December 8, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

If God tries to "bless" me I will have him arrested like Sandusky!

December 8, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

We don't expect something that has NEVER been proven to exist to bless us! Kicking your god out doesn't take a lot since it doesn't exist!!

December 8, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
    • Michaeltantino

I am not sure who "we" is. I don't believe a God exists. I am not kicking something out that does not exist to me. That would be like me accosting you for "kicking out" Zeus. You don't believe Zeus exists and I agree except I also don't believe your God exists. Why does this offend you so? Why does my beliefs make you feel like I am kicking God out of YOUR life?

December 8, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
    • Rick

mikey.....free people do not need to be blessed.

December 8, 2011 at 5:33 pm |
    • Rick

michaeltatino: apparently, some folks need to have their beliefs reinforced through popularity

December 8, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
  7. White, athiest and living in the West

And I am not moving anywhere.

December 8, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
    • Curious

You mean you are motionless? That sounds serious.

December 8, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Only where nuns are concerned. Unless the do anal.

December 8, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Oh sorry, that was another blog.

Yes I plan to keep quite motionless and see what happens.

December 8, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
    • Hi, I'm Kim K, and I have a really big butt

"As if" the dumb a$$es in LALA Land, (the Land of the Perpetual Barbeque), are any better. Oh, like, I gotta run. Like, fer sure, I gotta get my Botox. At least the West has the honor of having spawned the Kardashians.

December 8, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

My GOD that was uncalled for Kim.

December 8, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
  8. Ungodly Discipline

I am not from Earth. Can I go to heaven?

December 8, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
    • Charles

Perhaps if you book a spot in advance.

December 8, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Who does one see about that?

December 8, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • Charles

Well, you could try the Pope. He's a sort of local representative. Yes, definitely. Please see the Pope. And be sure to put it on YouTube.

December 8, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

My species does not have eyes or computers like Earthlings. Perhaps I should pray to that Jesus fellow? He never came to visit us though....

December 8, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • Hi, I'm Kim K, and I have a really big butt

Now UnG, you know that on YOUR planet, it was a talking rodent that got the "female equivalent" to eat the prune. And until someone from your planet "pays the price", you are all going to "limbo", until your "pope equivalent" decides there isn't any real estate by that name, and then you CAN go to heaven, but only if .... well, you'll just have to read the right book, and find out for yourself.

December 8, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

After careful consideration, I have come to the conclusion that my planet is, in fact, heaven and you will all have to please me to come here.

December 8, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
  9. Ungodly Discipline

I am from Santa Domingo and I hate God. So do all my Hispanic friends. I can't speak for the people who don't live in Hispaniola though.

December 8, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
    • Curious

Do you hate a non-existent god or some god you believe in?

December 8, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Me hating the Catholic God. I dig the other ones though.

December 8, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
    • Dominican

It's Santo Domingo you goofball...and it's in Hispaniola...and we don't hate GOD!!!!!
      what we hate is people who try to sound smart without reading a book!

December 9, 2011 at 9:53 am |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Not in my universe. I love Santa. He is fat and jolly.

December 9, 2011 at 12:30 pm |
  10. wayne317

Check me out on youtube "Rareblackatheist"

December 8, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • Nonimus

Are you in the south and have you had these types of experiences?

December 8, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
    • wayne317

317=Indianapolis

It's just as bad if not worse.

December 8, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • Nonimus

Indianapolis is reasonably large and should have Atheist groups around or something like it I'm guessing?

December 8, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
    • wayne317

There are a few, I haven't felt the need to go any meetings yet.

December 8, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
  11. Nonimus

Well, Congratulations to those Atheists 'coming out'. It takes a strong person to do so in some of those circu.mstances.

December 8, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • jerrygersbach

I agree. Congrats! I hope you find more and more acceptance as time passes. Tolerance seems to be lacking amongst most Southerners.

December 8, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
  12. J.W

This article is scary. I thought that the black community at least was safe from atheism. I am glad at least the Hispanics are still safe.

December 8, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • Shem Azaz

December 8, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
    • J.W

Well I guess I need to be scared of that too. I need to start the Christian Protection Agency.

December 8, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • fred

J.W
      No one is safe Mississippi if there is an atheist on your shoulder playing the deliverence theme song.

December 8, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
    • Shem Azaz

Wait! Does the atheist make you feel threatened? Come one man their morons like I say they think you can multiply 0 and get 1. Most of them are just angry because there daddy and mommy had to work all the time. They are not a threat, but we still remember the whole witch burning thing you have some explaining to do… “categories that include pagans, more than doubled between 1990 and 2008, to 2.8 million.”

December 8, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
    • Stan

J.W take it as one more sign among many that deluded Christian sheep are a dying breed. Get used to it. Your religion is headed for the dustbin of history, like so many others. It will take time, but it will happen.

December 8, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • J.W

December 8, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

J.W
      "I don't think Christianity will die out any time within the next several hundred years if it ever does."

Well that makes no sense given that most Christians alive today expect Jesus to return "in their lifetime". Also non-believers is the fastest growing demographic in relation to religious affiliation. A generation or 2 is all that is needed to tip the balance in our favor.

December 8, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
    • Michaeltantino

Yes J.W., be scared of everyone who doesn't agree with you! So terrifying, being disagreed with is!

December 8, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
  13. Lulz

BOOOM here come the BOOOM, ready or not, here comes the black atheists from the south.....and give me your wallet!

December 8, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
    • Lulz

SCAT CATCH FEVA, DO DA DO!

December 8, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
    • Shem Azaz

lulz i swear if you’re from the corp then you know ,... I’m a bis_xual and that sound like a party

December 8, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
    • Lulz

EEEK

December 8, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
  14. HeavenSent

Heaven sent us tsunamis, earthquakes, floods, and other natural disasters, plus cancers, lupus, typhoid, malaria, and other diseases too numerous to mention, that have caused horrid suffering and death to millions of innocent people.

Wow, god must be quite the azzhole.

December 8, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • Shem Azaz

yes, yes,.. God is. and not just because of that, but gods hatred of love. How dare he deny my people love. Death to the tyrant god. Sorry I need to say that for the past 3 days

December 8, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
    • HeavenSent

The phony heavensent that steals my handle to spew his nonsense needs to find a backbone in order not to continue with stooping to the gutter to fulfill his carnal desires. Along with finding a backbone, it needs to learn about creativity. It can find the true solution in Jesus' truth, the bible.

Amen.

December 8, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
    • Fookin' Prawn

Now I feel like I need a signoff for all my posts, too. Something that puts a fine point on it and lets the reader know I'm finished saying something idiotic. I need suggestions, though, to make sure I don't end up with something as pedestrian as 'the end' or as god-damn pompous as 'amen'.

December 8, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • Nonimus

This works for many people.

Peace

December 8, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
    • Hi, I'm Kim K, and I have a really big butt

HeavenSent
      Deary, you forgot the "Amen". How could you ?

December 8, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
    • Rick

Yeah, and he needs to threaten people to play with his son

December 8, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
    • Cedar Rapids

"Rick – Yeah, and he needs to threaten people to play with his son"

yeah, it was one heck of a play date

December 9, 2011 at 11:11 am |
  15. William Demuth

Beware.

The rednecks WILL kill you.

December 8, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
    • Denise

WD, I've been reading your threats for too long. So you're a redneck. Fine. Just don't threaten to kill anybody.

December 8, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
  16. HeavenSent

So the lazy non-believers finally got their own article to write their lazy short sentences.

Too funny.

Carnal is as carnal does.

Amen.

December 8, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
    • ......

Kettle meet pot...pot meet kettle.

How's that log doing in your eye obviously it's blinding you.

December 8, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

Polysyllabic obfuscation is a tactic employed by the smugly self-righteous who seek to cloak the weakness of their message.
      You of all people should know this. The King James Bible went through a panel of over 50 scholars and linguists to ensure that its language could be understood by everyone.
      If your idea is valid, you should be able to express it simply.

December 8, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Heaven sent us tsunamis, earthquakes, floods, and other natural disasters, plus various cancers, lupus, typhoid, malaria, and other diseases too numerous to mention, that have caused horrid suffering and death to millions of innocent people.

Wow, god must be quite the azzhole.

December 8, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
    • cmxsmitty

The fact that you believe in talking snakes, virgins giving birth, people walking on water, magic fishes and loaves that procreate and that someone can live in the belly of a fish for 3 days makes your opinion null and void.

December 8, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • HeavenSent

cmxsmitty, you've got some research to do. Here's a true Christian site to look up the answers to your questions.

Amen.

December 8, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
    • Fookin' Prawn

Watch out everybody – apparently today's special word is 'carnal'. Maybe that would be a good signoff for every post.

Carnal.

December 8, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • Ironicus

As a prawn you should say "tartar sauce!"

December 8, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

@HeavenSent: When did they release you from the asylum and why are you not taking your meds?? Posting a link to a buybull study site does not prove anything other than the fact that there are others who should have been beside you getting help for their delusions. Remember we have had this conversation before and you NEVER win. When one hears the voice of god they call it religion, when another hears any voice they call it schizophrenia...one in the same!

December 8, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
    • Hi, I'm Kim K, and I have a really big butt

Kimmy loves THAT one. And a hearty CARNAL AMEN to you too. TTFN. Surfs up.

December 8, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Carnal. Carnal, carnal. CARNAL!! Carnal, carnal carnal, carnal CARNAL??? Carnal! CAR NAL! Carnal, carnal, carnal, carnal, carnalcarnalcarnalcarnal, C A R N A L!!!Carnal. Carnal, carnal. CARNAL!! Carnal, carnal carnal, carnal CARNAL??? Carnal! CAR NAL! Carnal, carnal, carnal, carnal, carnalcarnalcarnalcarnal, C A R N A L!!!Carnal. Carnal, carnal. CARNAL!! Carnal, carnal carnal, carnal CARNAL??? Carnal! CAR NAL! Carnal, carnal, carnal, carnal, carnalcarnalcarnalcarnal, C A R N A L!!!Carnal. Carnal, carnal. CARNAL!! Carnal, carnal carnal, carnal CARNAL??? Carnal! CAR NAL! Carnal, carnal, carnal, carnal, carnalcarnalcarnalcarnal, C A R N A L!!!Carnal. Carnal, carnal. CARNAL!! Carnal, carnal carnal, carnal CARNAL??? Carnal! CAR NAL! Carnal, carnal, carnal, carnal, carnalcarnalcarnalcarnal, C A R N A L!!!

December 8, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

AMEN. amen, amen, amen. AMEN! Amen, amen, amenamenamen. AmenAMEN. amen, amen, amen. AMEN! Amen, amen, amenamenamen. AmenAMEN. amen, amen, amen. AMEN! Amen, amen, amenamenamen. AmenAMEN. amen, amen, amen. AMEN! Amen, amen, amenamenamen. AmenAMEN. AMEN. amen, amen, amen. AMEN! Amen, amen, amenamenamen. Amen., amen, amen. AMEN! Amen, amen, amenamenamen. AmenAMEN. amen, amen, amen. AMEN! Amen, amen, amenamenamen. Amen.

December 8, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
    • Cedar Rapids

"to write their lazy short sentences."

psstt....

Too funny.
      Carnal is as carnal does.
      Amen.

....not exactly war and peace there yourself.

December 9, 2011 at 11:12 am |
  17. GodPot

B l t c h, you know what l want.

l wanna talk to Samson

Fly me to the moon like that bltch Alice Kramden

'Cause it's hard bein' black and atheist,

Sometimes l wanna throw it all down and get lifted...est...

December 8, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
    • Lulz

ooh umm hmm...clap clap -clap

December 8, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
    • Ironicus

Is this beatnik poetry day? Skoodelleewah, man. Dig it! *snap*snap*snap*snap* Yeah!

December 8, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
  18. Same Yazah

Could be worse you could be a pagan living in Anaheim. Chistians put up with you,.. They make us disappear

December 8, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • GodPot

Well of course, it's because Chris Angel is as his name imply's, a Christian...

December 8, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
    • Shem Azaz

god point i never thought about that,... would you like an Egg

December 8, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
  19. Lulz

OH MY LAAAAWD -LAWD LAWD LAWD....ooh umm hmmmm, ooh umm hmmmm

December 8, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • Lulz

clap clap--clap......clap clap-clap

December 8, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • Ironicus

lol

December 8, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
  20. Chuckles

First thuoght in my head when I saw the ti.tle of the Article:

"RUN!"