home
RSS
The Mormon group – whether they like it or not
Vocal Point performs on NBC's the Sing Off with host Nick Lachey.
December 8th, 2011

The Mormon group – whether they like it or not

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) – When Shane Wright met with members of Vocal Point, a Brigham Young University a cappella group that was considering competing on NBC's singing show "The Sing Off," the main question he had for the nine male students had nothing to do with their singing talent.

Wright, the artist manager at BYU, wanted to know if the team was prepared to not only represent themselves and their school but to be viewed through the audience's understanding of Mormonism.

"I went around the room and asked the guys, how would you handle this or that type of question or situation," Wright said. "In our meeting we discussed several scenarios. I wanted to get them thinking about various situations before they were put in the fire."

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints oversees BYU, and the members of the singing team Vocal Point, whether they liked it or not, were going to be representing the church on primetime television. And with a recent Pew Research poll finding that nearly 25 percent of people have negative views of the Mormon Church, Vocal Point would be representing a misunderstood and at times maligned religion.

According to multiple members of the team, while representing their faith was not necessarily something they sought to do, it was a reality they knew they had to accept.

"We knew that a connection would be made between us and the Mormon Church whether we tried to or not," said Keith Evans, a 25-year-old member of the BYU team.

"Because the church has an obscure image, we thought this would be a great opportunity to show that this church is made up of normal people and is not as esoteric as people think," said Evans.

Other members hoped the team would show what young Mormons are really like and that they "do normal things."

McKay Crockett, a 24-year-old Mormon member of the team, said that while the team did understand there were misconceptions of the Mormon faith, their goal was "to show that Mormons are a lot like [everyone else] and we live life a lot like they do. It was a daunting task, but I do think we were able to do that in our kind of humble, awkward way on the Sing Off."

Vocal Point lasted a majority of the show, beating 11 other teams to finish fifth. The team sang a variety of songs, too. While they got high marks for an Elvis medley and their take on "Jump, Jive an' Wail," the judges said they were stretched by the Temptations "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" and Puff Daddy's "I'll Be Missing You."

No matter the song, though, a connection to the Mormon Church was regularly made. Fans left comments about the team's Mormon faith on message boards and Mormon newspapers and blogs began following Vocal Point's weekly progress.

The shows judges commented on the team's religion, too.

After the team sang a cover of Justin Beiber's "Never Say Never," singer/songwriter Ben Folds, one of the shows three judges, said, "I will never again say that I could never enjoy Beiber sung by a bunch of Mormons." Sarah Bareilles, also a singer/songwriter, described the group as a bunch of "wholesome thunder cats."

On the whole, said Evans, the response from the Mormon community was "largely positive."

"Maybe a person or two objected to one of our song selections," said Evans. "Some of them thought it was a bit too wild and crazy for a bunch of Mormon guys."

But Evans says that the fact that at times the team could get "a bit wild and crazy" shows that, "we [Mormons] are allowed to be a little wild and crazy. We are allowed to have a good time."

The judges kicked the team off the show after the R&B week, where Vocal Point sang the aforementioned Temptations song, along with a rendition of Bobby Brown's "Every Little Step."

Jake Hunsaker, a 22-year-old member of the team, said that though the loss was "disappointing," the team felt privileged to have gone as far as they did.

"I think for us it is a privilege to represent members of the Mormon faith," said Hunsaker. "Just to be able to expose people to what a Mormon is like, to be able to represent Mormons and let people know that we are normal was an honor."

Members of Vocal Point said that they were humbled by the experience and are a little stunned by the way people recognize them around BYU and Provo, Utah.

With a bit of sarcasm, Evans said that ultimately he hoped Vocal Point showed people that "a Mormon's faith isn't so different to the point that they create some weird species of person that is unapproachable."

And jokingly Evans said he wanted people to know that Mormons are good singers.

CNN's Martina Stewart contributed to this report.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Entertainment • Mormonism

1. Doc Vestibule

THE MORMON CHURCH IS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY
    "Ti.thing is an important test of our personal righteousness. President Joseph F. Smith (1838-1918) said: “By this principle it shall be known who is for the kingdom of God and who is against it. … By it it shall be known whether we are faithful or unfaithful” (Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph F. Smith [1998], 276)."
    To make sure congregants are paying up, each year they must go before a Bishop for a Ti.thing Settlement.
    A member is questioned in a one-on-one interview with the Bishop to ensure the member is paying a full 10%.
    Those members who are not paying a full 10% lose their temple recommendations and therefore are in serious jeopardy of losing their Celestial blessings.
    If a member cannot get into the temple, they cannot learn the secret handshake, secret password, secret "new name" and special “sealings”.
    Without these, the member will be unable to pass Joseph Smith and the angels who guard the entrance to the Celestial Kingdom.
    Mormons are told: "if a dest.itute family is faced with the decision of paying their ti.thing or eating, they should pay their t.ithing." (Lynn Robbins, General Conference, April 2005).

January 3, 2012 at 1:01 pm |
  2. LordEarlGray

What about the fact that mormon families are told to put up a huge chunk of change (in the order of what, 20,000 dollars) to send their sons- and only sons as far as I can tell (so much for women and men being equal) can be sent away for some religious training and practice at converting others and while they're at this they are not permitted to contact their family without permission from the church? That had "cult" written all over it.

Also, I'm told women can get to the promised land only through their husbands.

This came straight from the mouths of a Mormon family who used to live next door to our close friends.

January 3, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
    • Wrong

Your misinformation is astounding. Look it up, women serve all the time as does senior couples. To go on a mission is a choice, and one that a person pays for out of their pocket. Men are encouraged, but again it is their choice. If you but did a google search or went to mormon.org, you may even learn something.

January 4, 2012 at 9:26 am |
    • flutinkat

My brother went on a mission after being encouraged by my father, who went on a mission but has not been Mormon for decades. Yes, it costs money, but I feel that it is extremely helpful to the young men who leave as children and tend to come back with enough maturity to get married. They gain this maturity through focusing on what they feel is a higher calling for two years, without distractions – that's why they don't contact their family except on Christmas and Mother's Day. By the way, women do serve missions, starting at age 21, and many retired couples do go on missions together.

January 6, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
  3. Jared

It is easy for anybody to bash Mormonism, true. Why not if you Mormons so advocate people going to Mormon.org to listen to your propaganda, go instead yourselves to http://exmormon.org and listen to people that have taken the time to question the faith just as Joseph Smith did with an open mind. Listen to how others have healed themselves from this farce of a religion. It's like trying to talk politics with a faux news watcher. They just live in a bubble and are oblivious to reality.

December 31, 2011 at 9:42 am |
    • mandiemarie

That's the site I went too when I was looking for healing. It was so enraging to hear from TBM's(true believing mormons) that "well, you must not have ever really believed". Nonesense!! I put my heart, soul and life into it for the first 18 yrs of my life. Then...I started realizing that the pieces didn't line up. There were too many contradictions. Now, because of exmormon.org, I'm proud to say "I'm an ExMormon!" I'm glad to know I'm not alone, and I'm glad they were there to help me move beyond the anger I felt towards them and simply accept that Mormon's are following their own path...that path just wasn't right for me.

December 31, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
    • flutinkat

Jared, I find your implication that Mormons lack an open mind because they are Mormon offensive – and I'm an ex-Mormon. If you truly had an open mind, you would accept that millions of people have found happiness in the Mormon faith, and that's okay.

January 6, 2012 at 8:29 pm |
  4. Inquirer

An inllustrative quote that might shed some fresh light on the topic at hand.

Joseph Fielding Smith, the tenth President of the Church, has unintentionally summarized my thoughts about the Book of Mormon exactly as he stated, "If Joseph Smith was a deceiver, who willfully attempted to mislead the people, then he should be exposed; his claims should be refuted, and his doctrines shown to be false, for the doctrines of an impostor cannot be made to harmonize in all particulars with divine truth. If his claims and declarations were built upon fraud and deceit, there would appear many errors and contradictions which would be easy to detect."7

It is interesting to note that there have been close to four thousand corrections made in the Book of Mormon to date. What an epitaph for a "perfect" book of divine teaching.

December 30, 2011 at 12:10 pm |
    • Jared

FANTASTIC! Having been raised LDS only to learn as an adult about the church without the bias of my family and subsequently "fall away" I offer high praise. Thanks for the link, maybe I will forward it onto my father, Bishop of his ward and a temple worker in SLC.

December 31, 2011 at 9:04 am |
  5. mims

All i can say is, have fun brandishing you magical underwear. As a woman have fun having spirit babies in the next world, mmm doesnt that sound like fun? having spirit babies for eternity on your own little world. Women will always be subjugated to being a breeding tool as long as this religion is around. Most people will leave the LDS church once they are given the *MEAT* of the religion. those who dont are men and get all the benifits of the church, if your a women your following your man or you like being deluded. ()information is all from first hand account of my mother.() THESE ARE THE ONLY FACTS WITHIN THIS CHURCH.

December 19, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
    • skay

mims that is certainly a negative view of my faith, and I'm sorry if your mother had a bad experience. As a single, 30 yr old, Mormon woman, I can say that I am treated with the utmost respect and am not at all diminished in my value or importance by the men of my faith just because I'm a woman. In fact, every man I know: my father, brother, neighbors, husbands of my friends, etc. treats their wives and all woman with love, honor, and respect – as I would hope any man of any religion (or no religion) would treat his wife or other women with whom he comes in contact. Men and Women are different yes, but one is not greater or more important than the other. They work together. My faith teaches the goodness of each and how to be good to each other. If there are men out there that have chosen to treat women as less, then they are not following the teachings of the church.

December 23, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
    • The Truth Teller

Sounds like the magic underwear is to tight !!! Boy all you zealots are the same as far as I'm concern ! From the MIDDLE EAST to USA your all the same when it comes to someone who doesn't believe like you . So what's the different between the Muslims of the alkata with the 100 virgins you'll get after death & your own planet ???? MMMM !! Sounds the same to me .

December 30, 2011 at 1:04 pm |
  6. Brittany

Everyone thinks their religion is more believable than anyone elses. How is Mormonism any less believeable than Catholicism, Islam, Hindu, Scientology, etc? How does Jesus healing lepers and rising from the dead sound any less wacky and ficticious to people than John Smith thinking he is a prophet, etc? Religions are born out of other religions, religions die out and suddenly become Mythology, & ALL RELIGIONS HAVE SOME WHACKO REPRESENTING THEM SOMEWHERE IN THE WORLD. It feels good not to buy into any of it and save myself the stress.

December 15, 2011 at 7:58 pm |
    • Jared

AMEN! I find it interesting that all sins are forgivable, save blasphemy...so I can do ANYTHING except deny something that is not provable either way is a fact? If that is true God must have some ego.

December 31, 2011 at 9:09 am |
    • Tutter

Good comparison to Sxientology...

January 1, 2012 at 6:17 am |
    • Tutter

Go Jared love your reply, Don't listen to anybody who claims to represent god as he is a used car dealer who is trying to get in your pants...

January 1, 2012 at 6:20 am |
  7. Pastrami on Rye

I am a 45 year old Mormon with a beautiful wife and three children. We live our lives as best we can. I would like to recommend to those posters here who are expressing such deep hatred to take a moment for self-reflection. Where does this hatred come from? Does it make you feel better? There has to be a more productive use of your time than to spread a bunch of salacious falsehoods about someone else's religion. Thanks.

December 12, 2011 at 11:08 pm |
    • Susan

Hi Pastrami,
      I am a 44 year old mother of four with a husband of 22 years. I was born and raised in the church, served a mission, married in the temple (to an equally dedicated RM), and was an active and more dedicated member than almost anyone I knew. Fortunately for us, our eldest son refused to align himself with the church after Prop 8 and his quest for truth led to our own. As a family, we left the church almost two years ago, and the joy, peace, and sense of purpose has been much stronger and better than it ever was inside the church. Our biggest regret was believing for so long... we wish we had found out the truth (that the church is NOT true) much sooner, because life outside of Mormonism is far superior in every way. Please open your heart and mind to exploring what you've been taught all your life. I know the church wants to keep you from information about it's actual history, doctrine, policies, and practices... but if the church really values truth, learning, and free agency... shouldn't you be free to learn both sides of the debate? A bishop won't even let you go to the temple if you associate yourself with information or anyone that could be viewed as "against" or unfavorable toward the church. We never visited an "anti Mormon" site... the truth (from church sources) was enough for us. You know how strongly the church maligns "apostates"... why do you think they do that? Maybe they are trying to scare you into conforming and staying "faithful" no matter what.

The "lies" you refer to actually sound like the truth to me... but I have been exposed to actual information and can tell you... they aren't "lies." The Mormon mindset you are trapped in, where you believe everything you are told and not allowed to even question your leaders or the information you are taught... is only serving to sap you, your lovely wife, and your three beautiful children of actual happiness and the truth you could have outside the church.

I understand hatred against the church. The church continues to take so much from its members... and it really is all based on lies.
      Best wishes to you Pastrami... I hope you find the truth, because it really will set you free.
      Susan

January 1, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
    • cacmacac

It is not how the Mormons live their lives today that I so much object to; it is the history of the Mormon faith and the underhanded way they protect the "golden plates". In my research I discovered that no one has ever seen the plates although some men say they have but these men have had their veracity seriously challenged and ultimately disproven. Joseph Smith was a severe alcoholic who had "visions", but instead of pink elephants he saw angels – all the same thing. And the Book of Mormon – forget it, the only consistency is change. So, please don't be too disappointed when you don't get your own planet to be god of after your death. BTW, did any of you know that the Mormon Church has its own army? And lots and lots of money.

January 1, 2012 at 10:14 pm |
    • dave

Susan, sounds like you are running from something, if you have inner peace then dont write a thesis paper on why you hate the Church of Jesus Christ of LDS. Saying that you were better than most members, shows you clearly where not. I have read volumes of anti-mormon literature and have not fallen away. The Church has never stopped me from investigating. It seems you are projecting your own insecurities, and mislabeling ideas from the people around you with Church policey. Sad, good luck.

January 4, 2012 at 9:12 am |
  8. Bill92395

For anyone who is interested:
    http://www.lds.org is the website of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and has study and doctrinal information. HOWEVER

http://www.mormon.org has been created for CONVERSATION. If you have a real and true desire to talk to someone about the LDS or Mormon church, what they believe, practice, etc ... this is a GREAT RESOURCE.

Do NOT take an invitation to attend a service as being recruited. It is simply an invitation. No different than your neighbor asking if you want to come watch the Christmas pagent at their catholic, baptists, lutheran, etc ... Christian church.

I'm guessing anyone of faith, who has confidence and a desire to grow in their faith would accept this invitation as intended, an open hand for conversation.

Have a great day.

December 12, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
  9. Ronald

Matthew 7:16 "By their fruit you will recognize them."

– Mormons believe in polygamy with underage girls.
    – Mormons believe blacks are cursed because they did not fight against the devil
    – Mormons believe THEY WILL BECOME GODS through obedience to Mormon teaching
    – Mormons believe God has several wives. Women are cattle to Mormons.
    – Mormons believe the Jesus was ELECTED by a vote

December 11, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
    • Ronald

They also believe that Jesus had 3 wives, and Joseph Smith believed he was a direct descendent of Jesus Christ.

Mormons Believe the Indians are really from Israel

Mormons believe that Joseph Smith, from Upstate New York, is a prophet because he found an ancient text which he read with magic glasses.

Mormons believe that Joseph Smith is the final judge, along with Jesus and God. When you die, Joseph Smith will judge you.

Mormons believe that Joseph Smith died as a martyr, shed his blood for us, so that we too may become Gods.

December 11, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
    • ChristmasTree

Ronald, you're confusing sensationalistic misrepresentations with factual Mormon doctrine.

1. Mormons used to practice polygamy in the 19th century, but that practice was abolished over 100 years ago. And the underage girl comment is false and only meant to be sensationalistic, which is quite common among anti-mormons.
      2. Blacks can have full fellowship in the LDS church the same as any other race. Again, sensationalism.
      3. Mormons believe that God wants them to become like him. This is scriptural.
      4. Again, another sensationalistic and false misrepresentation. Women are like cattle to Mormons? Oh please...
      5. Mormons believe that two plans were laid out before God for us to come to earth–one from Lucifer, one from Jehovah. Lucifer's plan was to force everyone to be righteous, whereas Jehovah's promoted free agency.

Blatant misrepresentations like yours, Ronald, are only meant to promote hatred and bigotry towards Mormons. Not very Christian of you. Try talking to a real live Mormon sometime. Better yet, go to http://www.lds.org to find out what Mormons really believe.

December 12, 2011 at 12:03 am |
    • Ronald

@ChristmasTree

1. Is that due to a change in core values, or does it have to do with the FBI and pressure from your Christian neighbors?

2. Is that due to a change in core values, or did the Mormon leadership cave in to external pressure? Do you or don't you believe that black skin is a "curse" because they did not fight against Lucifer?

3. Do you deny that Mormons believe they will become Gods if they obey mormon teaching? Yes or no.

4. Do you deny that Mormons believe that God had several wives, and Jesus is one of his many sons?

5. Do you or don't you believe that Jesus was elected?

December 12, 2011 at 12:27 am |
    • Jonathan

Look just go to lds.org which has every single talk, sermon, and event that has happened in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Please cross referece anything you say about the church with that before you put something like this up. I can give some quick answers to your accusations and would encorage you to look at the website and study on your own time.

– Mormons believe in polygamy with underage girls.
      First, that's the FLDS church, you know the guys on Sister Wives. They're group apostatized from the church about 100 years ago. For good reason too, any member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints that believes such things or trys to live in such a way is excommunicated from the church with out hesitation.

Second, that has never been taught in the church in any part of it's history. I would like to encouage you to go to lds.org and find a talk or sermon that says such things and then post it here so that I can read it. I have never found such an idea that has been supported by the church.

– Mormons believe THEY WILL BECOME GODS through obedience to Mormon teaching
      Third, in Romans chapter 8 verses 16 and 17 it says in the King James Bible it states

16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

Now you can take this however you want but it at least gives a basic understanding of how we have the belief if you would like to study more I'd click on the menu button on the opening page of lds.org and start studying under Heavenly Father's plan for us.

– Mormons believe God has several wives. Women are cattle to Mormons.
      As is the whole black thing, that has never been taught in the church and would encourage you to find something that says it does on lds.org

– Mormons believe the Jesus was ELECTED by a vote
      We believe that Jesus Christ was ordained to be the Christ before the foundation of the world, we do not know how The Father chose Jesus to be The Christ but we do believe that we who are now here on earth supported that decision. Those who did not ended up being cast out with Satan because they rebelled against that decision. Again go to lds.org for a more complete explanation.

December 12, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
    • scott

I gotta tell you, I couldn't care less what some nimrod like you thinks about my faith. I do find it amusing that a "Christian" has no problem breaking "thou shalt not bear false witness". Maybe you just chose to ignore that part of the Bible, like you no doubt ignore 1 corinthians, 14:34. Hey, just pick and choose what you agree with, right? By their fruits and all...

December 12, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • Bill92395

Ronald Ronald Ronald ... wrong, wrong, and wrong again. IF an intelligent conversation is desired there is a website, http://www.mormon.org that will be glad to have one. No one will try to "convert" you against your wishes and who knows, maybe a good honest conversation about faith and differences will be a good experience.

Not sure you sound like the guy who wants a good, intelligent conversation ... but wanted to put it out there for you anyway!

December 12, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • Don

"Women are cattle to Mormons."? That's why the Relief Society, one of the world's first and largest women's organizations was founded by Joseph Smith and Utah was the second state (by two months) to allow women the right to vote. Women teach, preach, and are equal partners with men in the church. Please get your facts straight.

December 12, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
    • Zelda

nonsense Ronald.

December 22, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
    • jameser35

@ Ronald:

Ronald, do you believe the earth is 6000 years old? Did Noah gather all of the creatures two by two and float them around on the ark? Did Jonah survive three days in the belly of a fish? did Moses part the red sea? Do any of these deliberately condescending comments about your faith cause you to stop and question whether what you believe actually seems reasonable? Be careful neither you nor the mormons can apply logic to your discussion of the supernatural.

December 26, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • Dawn Lowrey

Having studied Mormon doctrine...all you say is true. Mormonism is outside traditional Christianity and always will be by believing the Book of Mormon is authentic...Joseph Smith was actually a saint...women are mere breeding machines here and in their hereafter. Outside the doctrine...if you're not born Mormon or even if you come into the church after believing whatever line you are fed...you will always be treated like trash. Not being Mormon and coming from the Bible Noose of the South...I and others who are not Mormon have been treated like less than garbage by the representatives of this church. No matter what you want to believe how good they are...this church still practices the same exclusiveness they did in the 19th century. Just by putting on a public face for those not in direct contact with it on a daily basis is not going to change how they are on a personal level. TV evangelists are more trustworthy than any practicing Mormon.

December 30, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
    • Jared

@Christmas Tree, first I was raised Mormon and my family remains so. As to the underage girls comment being sensationalistic, here is a bit from wiki "The most conservative estimates indicate that Joseph entered into plural marriages with 29–33 women, 7 of whom were under the age of 18. The youngest was Helen Mar Kimball, daughter of LDS apostle Heber C. Kimball, who was 14. The rest were 16 (two) or 17 (three). One wife (Maria Winchester) about which virtually nothing is known, was either 14 or 15.

On blacks, "From 1849 to 1978, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) had a policy against ordaining black men of African descent to the priesthood." I guess the good lord saw the light after the civil rights movement?

December 31, 2011 at 9:15 am |
  10. Paul

I don't understand how anyone can be mormon. Magic spectacles? Jesus visiting the Indians? Come on.

December 11, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
    • jameser35

Paul it takes the same amount of gullible faith to buy into any religious explanation. All religions are full of it, not just those other than yours.

December 26, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
  11. jason

who care's if they're mormon? it sounds like crappy pop music.

December 11, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
  12. Joe

I love the Mormon band, and I also enjoyed Abinadi, and want to end with a quote (as Abinadi did) For those who really want to question everything, for the honest truth seeker who might be here.... Go to the Book of Mormon and read Moroni 10, and Alma 32: 27 "But behold, if ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to an experiment upon my words..." By this experiment you can know the truth about this very important issue (sorry, but the anti-Mormons (most of them highly trained in the art of hate) just aren't going to give you the truth about Mormons, that's why they are anti-Mormons, they bear false witness against their neighbors). Sure, there is abundant evidence that the Book of Mormon is true, but none of that will make a difference in your life, if you don't learn how to love truth, and feel truth, etc. So, you who really want to know, go ahead and read the anti-Mormon comments etc, and FAIR lds for responses, but don't be afraid to really look at both sides of the story, you will never find the truth if you trust in those who lie about others, and attack....I love you all, and hope all have a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanuka, etc. Bye...

December 11, 2011 at 5:36 am |
    • Abinadi

Thanks, Joe. I always appreciate a second witness. I hope you and your family have a very spiritual sabath today.

December 11, 2011 at 11:19 am |
    • Rawinia Clarke

we have been taught, to leave unsaid the unkind things that could be said.I find that so many find pleasure in. trying to discredit.another's belief.The best thing for people, is to find out about their own .If they follow this process they would find very little time to find fault in what others know in their hearts to be true..We claim the privilege of worshipping almighty God according to the dictates of our conscience,and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how where or what they may. I am proud to be a representative of Jesus Christ, and a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints . Each one of us should be proud of who we represent. And in whom we believe. We live in a time of democracy freedom to express our hopes beliefs and want only that we love one another.What a wonderful world it would be. I believe the Book of Mormon to be another witness of Jesus Christ, it's the comfort that so many of us find to be a strength . Stand up for the truth never deny any one the pleasure to worship God is the prayer we have in our hearts . We have a prophet who is a man of God, we love him and cherish his love for each one of us..Above all things Jesus Christ is our Saviour And Redeemer and praise him and worship him by living the Teachings of the gospel of Jesus Christ, daily in our lives.God bless you Joe for the courage to exercise your to believe. I believe in Jesus Christ is my testimony in his beloved name Jesus Christ Amen

December 13, 2011 at 10:29 am |
  13. Reality

Mormonism will slowly fade from society as will contemporary Christianity and Islam because of the obvious problems with the founders of these religions especially their angelic/satanic hallucinations and related prophecies. "Pretty and ugly wingie/horn blowing thingies" simply do/did not exist....................................................................

December 10, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
    • Joe

You seem to know the future, I was hoping for a date though. People have been prophesying that Christ's Church was going to go away for a very long time, but it seems those people weren't as smarterer as they thought they were......alas, if you are finally the one prophet who knows everything in Heaven and Earth then you should be kind enough to give a date....; ) That way we can prepare for the apocalypse. I know LDS have predicted that the Church would fade eventually, and that it would just be families.....but that is not until we all come unto a perfect man...: )

December 11, 2011 at 5:23 am |
    • Abinadi

That's kind of funny, Reality. That same line of reasoning was used on the Savior 2000 years ago. " 22 And the scribes which came down from Jerusalem said, He hath Beelzebub, and by the prince of the devils casteth he out devils." They also tried the "he's crazy" line on him. It seems like Joseph Smith was in pretty good company. Well, all those tired, trite arguments didn't work then and they don't work now either. I hope you didn't think you were being original.

December 11, 2011 at 11:29 am |
  14. Joe

It seems that all the Mormons missed that Sunday when the anti-Mormons taught the Gospel Doctrine class and explained the big secret: “you don’t really believe what you believe, it’s actually something quite different. You might be the Church, but you don’t know what your Church teaches. Maybe they call you Mormons, but when the Book of Mormon says things such as ‘33…black and white…all are alike unto God, both Jew and Gentile.’ Or ‘ 27’…For there shall not any aman among you have save it bebone cwife; and concubines he shall have none,’ but you Mormons don’t really believe that. You must believe what I say, because I was curious about Mormons and read all those thousands of pages of Discourses, and found lots of things that you might not believe, but they only needed a little tweaking, and they sure are good at getting people to hate you, so you really believe that, and you’re racist, and you have to be a polygamist etc etc. Now, we anti-Mormons admit that there is too much evidence for the Book of Mormon for us to handle, so what we do now is just call you names and tell everyone bad things about you, and simply say the Book of Mormon has been proven false etc, it never hurts to say that, because one day it might be true……” ; ) Since my family is racially mixed I was upset to learn that I was racist, but seeing that I needed more wives I got a few more, and hope all of you will too..

Beyond the humor of questioning Mormon hating, i want to join in my support of the honest people here, who have examined the Book of mormon and asked God, and know......whatever darkness wants to do against that is expected, but you don't have to believe the lies that hate tells.....go to LDS org etc....

December 10, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
    • Joe

Since no one seems to want to reply, i guess ill reply to myself. (I try not to scare of anti-Mormons, i make a few friendly jokes etc, and they still disappear, now I have to go to work) So I want to say, that one thing that is most curious about all this is that to me is that the hatred that encourages a person to attack a religious minority day and night must run deep, but when those doing it know they are being dishonest, and still persist in stirring up hate, well that is something that needs counseling.....no offense, but hate is hate. A person like Abinadi is here telling you the truth about what he feels, and knows, and, even if there were no evidence beyond what he says (and there is a lot of scholarly evidence), still, why do you all feel the need to attack him and mock, it reminds me of how everyone suddenly united in hate when Jesus came on teh scene......I don't know...what do you think?

December 10, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
    • Cuervo Jones

ok pedo whatever you say.

December 11, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
  15. Abinadi

" 4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things." Moroni 10

We invite the sincere in heart to perform this simple test. Read the Book of Mormon for yourself and pray about it. God will confirm its truth by the Holy Spirit. You can get a Book of Mormon at mormon.org. I know it is true.

December 10, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • Joe

I'm feeling so silly, as you must be. I didn't know that Jesus said that Christian kindness required that we call His servants "con men." I appreciate your kindness though. YOu must be reading the same Bible that I read ; ).

Loved the Mormon band though : )

December 10, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
    • Don

That copy of the Book of Mormon is free, by the way. The LDS church also gives out free copies of the Bible and free videos on the life of Christ.

December 12, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
  16. Joeseph Smith created a hoax.

The question of the historical authenticity of the Book of Mormon has long been a source of contention between members of the Mormon Church and non-members. Many, but not all, Mormons hold the book's connection to ancient American history as an article of their faith. However, this view finds no acceptance outside of Mormonism.

The theory that the Book of Mormon is an ancient American history is deemed to fall outside the pale of academic credibility.

December 10, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
    • Joe

Perhaps no one told you this, but the people who find the truth about the Book of Mormon tend to join the Church of Jesus Christ. The haters have been trying to prove it false for about 200 years and have failed......lets see...um....every time : ) The evidence indicates that it is true.

December 10, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
    • Rawinia Clarke

The credibility you speak of are they what they believe. Are they believers? . Why don't they turn their interests to some thing that wil help the human population. Since they are termed as those who are knowledgeable perhaps they could help out with issues that would create a better place for us to live in,rather than trying to discredit another's belief.let us seek after things that are of goodly report, brotherly kindness. Millions of people all over the world believe that Joseph Smith was a Prophet Of God ,that is our belief. If we are creating any harm towards our fellow men, then you would be right in what you say.. We make no apologies for our beliefs ,but stand firm and immovable in striving to be a better people by keeping the commandments, loving our neighbors regardless. Animals behave better than some humans, let's get on with each other. Let us learn to speak kind words about each other. Judge not that ye be judged.Freedom of speech is fine but lets be real we are all offsprings of God , let us act accordingly.

December 13, 2011 at 11:42 am |
  17. John

December 10, 2011 at 11:52 am |
  18. James

The Phooeyest Religions are
    1)Scientology
    2)Mormonism (Joseph Smith was a big azz liar)
    3) Islam (Muhammad was more of a murderess conquer than a Prophet like Jesus Christ)
    when you think about Islam should be number one cause it's super Violent.

December 10, 2011 at 10:29 am |
    • Jared

Christianity, Buddhism, Rastafarian....etc.....religion is a condition of mankinds fear of the unknown coupled with the desire of a society to control people with said fear. THEY ARE ALL THE SAME. Any religion that claims to KNOW things that are not knowable is full of it.

December 31, 2011 at 9:30 am |
  19. Grummmmmpy!

The mormon church is nothing but false religion. They have their own bible. and if you ever try to leave the church they will not have anything to do with you. They are just like other false religion groups, Scientology, Jehovah witness, Muslims. Most people assume they are Christian, but they are not. They use the bible, but they do not believe the bible, that is why they have the book of mormon. (it should be labeled as the best selling fiction book in the world)

December 10, 2011 at 10:08 am |
    • Kris

One of the founding tenets of our faith: "We believe the Bible to be the word of God, as far as it is translated correctly. We also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God."

I believe in Jesus Christ. He is my Savior, my God and my King. In the LDS church we study the Bible as well as the Book of Mormon.

December 11, 2011 at 1:18 am |
    • brenda

Not true, Grumpy. People who leave the Mormon church are not cut off. Sometimes they cut themselves off by asking for no contact. But the Church tries, as do its members, to keep in touch and hopes for their eventual return. As far as "using" the Bible, we believe in its truthfulness, study it, quote from it, and see it as a powerful witness of the divinity of Christ. It is true scripture to us. Please talk to a devout Mormon before you assume you know what we believe or do.

December 11, 2011 at 9:26 am |
    • Don

II'm Mormon. I have multiple copies of the Bible. I try to read it every day. I strive to live by everything it teaches. I don't assume to know everything that it teaches but I strive to learn more everyday. Instead of trying to knock down other's faiths, why don't you talk about what you believe and why it's better. If you have something better to offer, I'll gladly listen. I've always had this view, yet everyone who bashes on the LDS faith doesn't seem to have anything positive to say. Only hate. Hateful comments don't serve anyone. Let's all just be friends.

December 12, 2011 at 7:02 pm |
  20. heliocracy

It's funny how they keep using terms like "misconception" and "misunderstood," as if it were that people would all be Mormons if they only understood. The truth is that we understand all too well already. A 19th century shyster wanted to make some money and have more wives, so he made up an elaborate tale which cast him as one of God's favorite people. Other people, being stupid as they tend to be, believed him, and it grew into what you see today.

December 10, 2011 at 8:03 am |
    • Joe

It's really easy for those who attended anti-Mormon school to go about spreading the misinformation without logic or reason. You seem like a sensible person, did you go to LDS org and find out what we really believe, or did you just put blind faith int the haters? I'm asking this in seriousness and kindness, I really want to know. And if you did, what is it that really proved to you that Joseph Smith made a lot of money? He gave his life as a servant of Jesus.

December 10, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
    • brenda

Heliocracy: That "shyster" you speak of died for what he believed. The church he founded did not make him rich and basically turned what could have been a quite, peaceful life as an obscure farmer, into one of constant persecution and suffering. I am one of those "stupid" people who believe him and it has been the source of all good things in my life. And what you see today is among the fastest growing religions in the world. Obviously there is something in it that millions have found, but that you are far to superior to detect.

December 11, 2011 at 9:41 am |
    • Don

Joseph Smith certainly never became rich. His life was one of suffering and hardship. Yet, he remained faithful every step of the way. There is no way any man who made up a story to make some money would stick to his story if he went through the things that Joseph went through. This is only a testament to the veracity of his claims.

December 12, 2011 at 7:05 pm |