home
RSS
December 13th, 2011

Gingrich promises 'personal fidelity' in pledge

By Kevin Liptak, CNN

(CNN) – Newt Gingrich stepped up his efforts to appeal to evangelical Christian voters in Iowa Monday by promising in writing to "defend and strengthen the family."

Gingrich, who has been married three times, specifically said he would "uphold the institution of marriage through personal fidelity to my spouse and respect for the marital bonds of others."

Gingrich made the pledge to The Family Leader, a socially conservative group based in Iowa. The organization has its own Marriage Pledge that other 2012 White House hopefuls have signed, including Texas Gov. Rick Perry, Minnesota Rep.

Read the full story here from CNN's Political Ticker

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Catholic Church • Christianity • Content Partner • TV-The Situation Room

1. Sam Yaza

Never mind the fact that he signed a pledge to prevent people from being happy. Come one people marriage is a religious inst_tution, stop making government mandate religion. Let leave marriage to religion. That being said the following religions allow same s_x marriage.
    Shinto
    Wiccan
    Druid
    Egyptian
    Semitism(or post iron age Jewish)
    Buddha (I’m actually not too sure but Buddha love, love)
    Humanism
    Atheism
    Pagan
    Ecoism
    I think I’m mission one.
    So people tied of not being happy come on down there’s convert to one of this fine earth loving faiths (Egyptian not included). Were we let you be happy with the person or persons you love, I mean its your choice. Oh and Christians the definition of marriage for the world, not just you is. A union between two or more people that establishes certain rights and obligations between the people, between them and their children, and between them and their in-laws. That’s it the culturally universal definition.

December 13, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

Not to attack you but a slight correction...Atheism is not defined as a religion-all the term means is a disbelief in god/anything supernatural...it can include many things such as Buddhism where they don't believe in a god but do believe in reincarnation; there are also Hinduism and Jainism...all considered Atheists because they do not believe in god. Just for clarification of my point here, Theism is a belief in god/supernatural but they each have their own version of it...they have jewish people and christian people, etc. All the terms do is define a yes or no and then they each have wonderful sub categories.

December 13, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
    • Sam Yaza

no offence taken but your high priest David Silverman thinks a differ
      http://youtu.be/OewwDBMrF5Q check out 10:40

December 13, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

A FOX news report?? Seriously??? I take nothing said on FOX seriously...bad christards is all they are. As for my high priest...too funny...no need for a priest in my life.

December 13, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
    • Sam Yaza

Neither do I Fox lies I don’t even get my news from CNN anymore. I’m RT all the way. But it does not change the fact that David Silverman president of the American Atheist (that high priest without admitting to religion) said atheism is the fastest growing religion in America which is actually false the data does not discern between agnostic and atheist neo-pagans are the fastest growing religion only because they have been joining forces with all earth centered religions

December 13, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • dumbboxofrox

What the hell is RT????

December 13, 2011 at 6:51 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Why can't three or more people get married together. Who makes these rules. Fuk the rules. Freedom.

December 13, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

I get my news from the Comedy Channel. That is the only channel you can trust.

December 13, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
  2. N00T GingRich

"I shall not tell a lie, again. "

Gee, where have we heard that one before???

December 13, 2011 at 1:01 pm |
  3. Reality

Dear Newton Leroy Gingrich,

Since you are now a professed Catholic, a reminder:

Most contemporary NT scholars after careful analyses have concluded that Jesus' comments about divorce are authentic.

Against Divorce: (1) 1 Cor 7:10-11; (2) 1or2?Q: Luke 16:18 = Matt 5:31-32; (3) Mark 10:10-12 = Matt 19:9; (4) Herm. Man. 4.1:6b,10 multiple attestations from the first stratum, 30-60 CE

Mark 10:10-12

New International Version (NIV)

"10 When they were in the house again, the disciples asked Jesus about this. 11 He answered, “Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her. 12 And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery.”

December 13, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
  4. Ungodly Discipline

I can't believe we are still talking about this pig. Take him and the rest of the GOP freak show and send them all back to the carnival. Omaba 2012.

December 13, 2011 at 12:09 pm |
  5. derp

Would you vote for a guy whose own family would not vote for him.

December 13, 2011 at 11:59 am |
  6. derp

Dear Voters,

I promise not to cheat on my third wife, who I cheated with on my second wife, who I had already pledged not to cheat on, who I cheated on my first wife with, who I had already pledged to not cheat on.

Sincerely,

Newt

December 13, 2011 at 11:57 am |
    • TruthPrevails

You forgot to add dying there...he's a pig

December 13, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
  7. gwats

How can you tell when Newt is lying? When his lips are moving! Pledging to be loyal to the Woman you cheated on your PREVIOUS wife with? Is that ALL Evangelicals want in their President? Those folks need a very strong enema.

December 13, 2011 at 11:29 am |
    • Ungodly Discipline

The Illinois Enema Bandit, I hear he's on the loose! I hear he's on the loose. He just be pumpin' all of 'em up fulla, Indiana Enema Bandit Juice!

December 13, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
  8. HotAirAce

I feel the need to balance (not dispute) all the negative points written so far. Newt speaks well, wears nice suits and his tie always matches his wife's dress. There, I feel better!

December 13, 2011 at 11:25 am |
    • gwats

Don't forget to compliment his teeth. 🙂

December 13, 2011 at 11:31 am |
    • HotAirAce

I wanted to leave a few attributes that might be considered positive, so that others could to use them to "pile on" in a groundswell of positivity.

December 13, 2011 at 11:35 am |
    • captain america

canadian opinion still don't mean sh it here. Since you were thinking you were nice i felt to reply pleasantly to you.

December 13, 2011 at 11:37 am |
  9. Madtown

Gingrich promises 'personal fidelity' in pledge
    ----–
    He's promised that twice before. Gingrich is a professional politician, schooled and skilled in the art of deception.

December 13, 2011 at 11:01 am |
  10. Doc Vestibule

If you can't trust a crooked, lying, adulerterous, self-serving, right-wing nutjob – who can you trust?

December 13, 2011 at 10:56 am |
    • Nonimus

At least you know where they stand...

December 13, 2011 at 11:19 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Nonimus
      Isn't that how to make an android's head explode?
      "Everything I say is a lie, including this statement...."

December 13, 2011 at 11:26 am |
    • captain america

I don't believe you can trust a canadian who can't keep his nose in his own business where it belongs.

December 13, 2011 at 11:39 am |
    • TruthPrevails

@Doc: Isn't it funny that most of the tea partiers issues have centered around one of a couple of things...it's either infidelity or the other popular one is the god delusion that Palin and Bachman have heavily in common...just one huge media circus. Even as a Canadian it affects us, we do a lot of business with the states and likewise...so I can only hope that Obama continues to run or not only will they go down but they'll drag us with them and that can go both ways.

December 13, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • captain america

Two canadians butting in on American issues, the definition of useless drivel. Nothing either one says matters at all here and they are useless to their own country.

December 13, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

@CA: I see you're having another bad day...off the meds again?

December 13, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Yeah, CA is off his gourd again. Oh, wait. He's never ON it.

December 13, 2011 at 9:24 pm |
  11. GSA

Off topic but ss that his wife's real hair, a wig or some kind of a messed up hat?

December 13, 2011 at 10:56 am |
    • derp

I think it is some kind of GOP third wife helmet.

December 13, 2011 at 11:58 am |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Actually to me it looks like an enourmous Live Scallop.

December 13, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
    • HotAirAce

The purpose of "The Do" is to prevent her from seeing anything from the left. We will know how well Newt is doing by how many lemming-like GOP women adopt "The Do."

December 13, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
  12. Shawna

In my opinion Newt Gingrich is a complete oxymoron, or maybe just a moron! He just says and signs anything that the majority wants to hear and see. He knows NOTHING about fidelity that is obvious, yet he is "protecting" marraige. I am a Iraqi war veteran that served my country and was injured in the process, I am also a gay woman that cannot marry the person I love because the very government I was wounded for says that I can't....no wonder more americans are moving to Canada and Europe!

December 13, 2011 at 10:52 am |
  13. William Demuth

I so enjoy this parasite.

I hope the scrutiny of this campaign lands him in prison where he belongs.

The MOST questionable ethics I have ever seen.

The truth is I always felt GW was an idiot, and Clinton was a perv, but this guy just oozes back stabbing, inside trading and double dealing.

He was truly loathed back in the day, and I suspect the old world GOP will torpedo him in short shrift.

December 13, 2011 at 10:20 am |
  14. Colin

My favorite is Gingrich's opposition to gay marriage on the basis that it "cheapens straight marriages". It's a bit like Jeffrey Dahmer opposing the sale of butcher knives on the basis that somebody might cut their hand.

December 13, 2011 at 10:14 am |
    • llɐq ʎʞɔnq

I thought Gingrich was an historian ? Does he not understand that the actual demographic trend is counter to marriage as an insti'tution, in general. 20-30 year olds are delaying, and opting out of the marriage option at an increasing rate, straight and gay. One would think that he would support anyone who supported marriage at all. Go figure.

December 13, 2011 at 11:10 am |
  15. Mildred the Mouth

It's a good thing Noooooot is a wealthy man. Callista must go through about 10 cans of hair spray an hour.

December 13, 2011 at 10:07 am |
  16. Gerry

Ron Paul and Newt Gingrich 2013!

December 13, 2011 at 10:03 am |
  17. SeanNJ

I think he's made this same pledge before...ON HIS WEDDING DAY.

I don't care if he cheated, cheats or will cheat. Just don't be a damned hypocrite about it.

December 13, 2011 at 10:01 am |
    • SeanNJ

And if I were ever running for office, I'd make a point of it to tell the heads of these organizations, from Norquist to Perkins, where they can stick their pledges.

Publically.

In front of a camera.

With them in attendance, preferably.

December 13, 2011 at 10:05 am |
  18. Portland tony

"defend and strengthen the family ...".All I can say thank God for Newt's pledge. I and my family will sleep so much better tonight.

December 13, 2011 at 10:01 am |
  19. TruthPrevails

Once a cheater, always a cheater and this man is good proof of that!

December 13, 2011 at 9:21 am |
  20. Bwahahahahahaha!

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!

December 13, 2011 at 9:00 am |
    • John Richardson

Couldn't have said it better myself!

December 13, 2011 at 9:17 am |
    • llɐq ʎʞɔnq

What this country really needs is a Defense of Marriage Act. Oh wait ........

December 13, 2011 at 10:05 am |