home
RSS
In outrage over Lowe's controversy, moderation is drowned out
December 13th, 2011

In outrage over Lowe's controversy, moderation is drowned out

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – Lowe's knows that it opened Pandora's box when the company "managed to step into a hotly contested debate" by pulling its advertising from the reality TV show "All-American Muslim."

"Lowe's has received a significant amount of communication on this program, from every perspective possible," it said in a statement. "Individuals and groups have strong political and societal views on this topic, and this program became a lightning rod for many of those views."

But "communication to the company" was far from the start of it. Almost anyone with an opinion, from bloggers to commentators and Twitters users, aired diverging views. And though the viewpoints getting the most coverage were from those with the biggest platforms, there is growing sentiment online that what Lowe's did was wrong but allowable.

The religion blog The Crescat exemplifies this point of view:

Company's have the right to decide how and where they wish to spend their money for advertising. If the intentions of Lowe's are bigoted and racist, so what? Then boycott Lowe's and shop at Home Depot instead or, even better, your local hardware store.

Lowe's pulled the advertising after groups including the Florida Family Association complained to the company. In its letter, the family group wrote that the show was not portraying Muslim Americans realistically. The letter also stated:

Clearly this program is attempting to manipulate Americans into ignoring the threat of jihad and to influence them to believe that being concerned about the jihad threat would somehow victimize these nice people in this show.

What the family group wrote is not politically correct, one commenter at Yahoo wrote. But Lowe's is:

Free to spend their advertising money wherever they wish. The problem is it's not PC to do what they did and now are suffering backlash.

Arsalan Iftikhar, in a contribution to this blog, argues that this situation is more than just being politically correct; it is about bigotry. Would a major American company remove its commercials, he asks, from a show highlighting the lives of Latinos, African-Americans, Jewish Americans or members of the LGBT community?

Iftikhar, who has also used Twitter to espouse his beliefs on this situation, wrote:

If you think this kind of bigotry could not happen in modern-day America, you would be absolutely wrong.

In an interview with CNN's John King, David Caton, executive director of the Florida Family Association, commended the Lowe's decision, stating that the show was not fully defining the term "Muslim." Canton told King:

This show is totally absent the true essence of Islam, which is the focus of a Muslim believer. ... We believe this show is propaganda, and we have called on advertisers across the country to pull.

And even though TLC is not releasing the names of other advertisers that have pulled away from the show, according to Caton, Lowe's is not the only company to heed his organization's call.

And so the controversy continued online. Just hours after the news broke, a petition asked certain company leaders to repudiate calls to stop the advertising.

The petition was directed at companies from Clinique to Sonic, from Home Depot to Step & Shop. Organizers even planned to send the petition to Time Warner, the parent company of CNN.

The main argument as to why Lowe's decision is bigger than just Muslims is that it is a slippery slope toward more targeted, bigoted advertisement.

"No Christian Jewish Buddhist or Hindu should sit by and watch this w/out reacting," hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons tweeted.

That opinion was far from universally supported, though; it was just as easy to find someone commending Lowe's as it was to find someone criticizing the hardware giant.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Entertainment • Islam

1. Hot Carl

""A woman was beheaded in Saudi Arabia for practicing witchcraft and sorcery, the kingdom's Interior Ministry said, prompting Amnesty International to call for a halt in executions there.
    Amina bint Abdel Halim Nassar was executed Monday for having "committed the practice of witchcraft and sorcery," according to an Interior Ministry statement. Nassar was investigated before her arrest and was "convicted of what she was accused of based on the law," the statement said. Her beheading took place in the Qariyat province of the region of Al-Jawf, the ministry said."

And THIS is the religeon that wants acceptance and tolerance, when they don't practice it themselves? THIS is the religeon that all the wussified crybaby liberals are defending? You make me sick.

December 14, 2011 at 8:38 am |
    • AtheistSteve

Yeah? Ever watched Jesus Camp? There are Christians in America TODAY who would happily watch anyone they think is a witch be killed. Once again....Pot meet Kettle.

December 14, 2011 at 8:53 am |
    • Hot Carl

Muslim terrorists > Christian terrorists. That's a "greater than" sign, if you remember math class. That means there's a lot more of Muslim terrorists. And who knows what wacky religeous beliefs these "Americans" have? You don't know what kind of assbackward ideals the raise their kids by. Muslims have no place in this country, that's why they have their own countries. Let them stay there instead of forcing their subhuman crap on us.

December 14, 2011 at 9:11 am |
    • LinCA

@Hot Carl

You said, "Muslim terrorists > Christian terrorists. That's a "greater than" sign, if you remember math class. That means there's a lot more of Muslim terrorists."
      So terrorism is OK as long as there is a group that is worse?

You said, "And who knows what wacky religeous beliefs these "Americans" have? You don't know what kind of asb>sbackward ideals the raise their kids by. Muslims have no place in this country, that's why they have their own countries. Let them stay there instead of forcing their subhuman crap on us."
      You mean those wacky religious beliefs like the christians have? The nonsense christians raise their kids with? I would really like christians to stop forcing their subhuman crap on us.

December 14, 2011 at 9:19 am |
    • AtheistSteve

The only thing stopping Christian terrorists from carrying out similar atrocities is democracy and secular Rule of Law. If the evangelicals had their way they would subvert the consti.tution with amendments to make their ways Law. Then America the Theocratic Republic of States would be happily burning witches at the stake...just like the jolly days of old.

December 14, 2011 at 9:31 am |
    • captain america

Since steve is a canadian his opinion on American topics is equivalent to dog sh it on this blogs sidewalk.

December 14, 2011 at 9:33 am |
    • AtheistSteve

@Captain America
      Spectacular...What brilliant insight you have. You really should consider running for office. The GOP needs more people like you. Clearly you have all the solutions to Americas problems. Especially with us pesky Canadians. Get busy Buddy....you got some serious catching up to do if you want to beat Newt.

December 14, 2011 at 9:41 am |
    • LinCA

@AtheistSteve

You said, "@Captain America
      "

Steve, careful what you wish for. Captain America fits the bill for the Republican nomination to a tee. And with her being a woman, she'd actually stand a pretty good chance.

December 14, 2011 at 9:44 am |
    • captain america

Since you are a canadian dog crapping on an American sidewalk, you have already got all the attention and credibility you deserve,none. My fellow Americans watch where you step on these blogs, there are qu eer canadians underfoot.

December 14, 2011 at 9:45 am |
    • SeanNJ

captain america has already been outed as...not american. The use of the british spelling of "colours" blew their troll cover.

December 14, 2011 at 9:52 am |
    • AtheistSteve

CA keeps trying to get me to stoop to her level. Perhaps she's unaware that Canada is directly and indirectly affected by American policies and vise versa. We are Americas single largest trading partner and biggest contributor to American tourism. Without us millions of american jobs would disappear.

December 14, 2011 at 9:57 am |
    • captain america

steve i,d tell you to go screw your mother but you being canadian, it would be redundant.

December 14, 2011 at 10:04 am |
    • captain america

sean, the spelling was an agency ploy to out canadian sleepers in the homeland. How does canadian butt taste to you benedict?

December 14, 2011 at 10:07 am |
    • Hot Carl

At this most joyous time of year, I'd like to wish all my friends a Merry Christmas. And all you muslim-loving wussified whiny liberal crybabies can go live "over there" with the rest of the camel jockeys who worship Muhammad the murderous pedophile. This we ask in Jeebus name, Amen.

Oh yeah, Hot Carl for President.

December 14, 2011 at 10:14 am |
    • DamianKnight

I wonder why Captain is so anti-Canada. What have the Canadians done to earn so much ire?

Canada's pretty awesome. I mean, let's be honest, Tim Hortons brews the best coffee ever. Hands down. End of discussion.

December 14, 2011 at 11:15 am |
    • Chuckles

@Damian

In my personal opinion, I have feelings about Canada as well that might be less than savory. Not for any particular reason, I think it's just been drummed into me from an early age, but Canadians are our ancestral enemy. Since as long as I can remember, we've had our differences with the Canadians. From the bloodless war for the Upper Peninsula in Michigan, to the sickeningly folksy candian accents, Candaiens just rub me the wrong way.

December 14, 2011 at 11:33 am |
    • J.W

I would like to visit Canada. I do not know much about it, but I have been told that Vancouver is the greatest place on earth.

December 14, 2011 at 11:38 am |
    • DamianKnight

@Chuckles,

Ah, you just don't like anyone who is different than you. It's ok. Jewish blood and all. 🙂 Just teasing. Actually, Canada has never once been in a real war with us...since Canada didn't even become a country until 1867. Most of what you're probably referring to is British settlers in the area now known as Canada.

I've actually thought of retiring in Canada. Having government health care when you're in your 60s and 70s is MUCH better than having to pay for health care out of your pittance called Social Security.

December 14, 2011 at 11:40 am |
    • J.W

I think Damian is right. Canada probably doesn't even have a military.

December 14, 2011 at 11:42 am |
    • Chuckles

@JW

Lies upon lies! You've been inundated with postive, feel-goodery by the Candian propaganda machine. Although the only time I have stepped foot in canada is by entering on foot through wi.sconsin, I think it's safe to say that the people there are bloodthir.sty sav.ages, capable of eating your children. If you want the real Canadien experience, head on over to Afghanistan. Do not let their "aboots" and their maple syrup fool you, they're really terrible up there.

December 14, 2011 at 11:42 am |
    • Chuckles

@Damian

I don't know why I always confuse this factoid, maybe because Toledo and Toronto sound similar, but I guess I'm referring to the Toledo war, where the state of Ohio was at war with the US and the only way to resolve it was trading Toledo for the U.P.

In any case, like I was saying above, BOOO CANADA. I HAVE SUCH STRONG FEELINGS ABOUT IT.

As you can tell, I have strong feelings about canada, as stated in the above sentence.

December 14, 2011 at 11:45 am |
    • DamianKnight

@Chuckles,

You just have never had Poutine. You'd change your tune if you had.

BTW, I meant to tell ya, my father is currently researching our ancestry. Found out that many of my family were German-Jewish. But I suppose since it didn't pass through my mother, I can't claim it, huh? 🙂

December 14, 2011 at 11:52 am |
    • Chuckles

@Damian

Correct, never had Poutine, I guess I shall try it, but god help you if I don't like it. I shall bring an unholy wrath on the entire country of Canada if this dish is not perfection.

Congrats on the jewish blood. Where in Germany? My grandmother claimed to have been from German-Jewish ancestry, but after she passed we did our own research and found out there her idea of Germany was actually the Sudentenland (I think) so we're technically Poleish. In any case, you are right, if it ain't through your moms side, then it's bupkis, there's also the fact that you accept jesus as your savior, didn't have a bar mitzvah (i'm just going out on a limb here) nor do you keep kosher or any of that other nonesense, so that might also count you out as well.

December 14, 2011 at 12:01 pm |
    • DamianKnight

@Chuckles,

It's french fries, covered in cheese curds and then covered in gravy. It sounds disgusting, and that just the concept might clog your arteries, but it's delicious.

We're from Bavaria, I think. I forget. But the majority of my family is from Norway, Sweden and Denmark. It explains why all I do is burn and sizzle in the sun like a freaking vampire (hey at least I don't sparkle). And yes, you're right. I wish I coulda had a bar mitzvah! I went to one once and OMG the amount of money and cool stuff he got was unbelievable!

I love bacon too much to keep kosher. To me, it's a sin NOT to consume bacon. I have deep religious convictions about it. Honest.

December 14, 2011 at 12:08 pm |
    • Chuckles

That does sound disgustingly awesome, I'll give it a try, though something tells me that I won't be able to get Poutine while in America, we just have our good ole fashioned butterball burgers (it's as disgusting as it sounds).

Also, you're so.....Scandanavian......, I try to claim heritage from Eastern Europe (for some unknown reason) but I guess I will always be just another Ashkenazi jew, which is alright I guess. I mean, the Russians weren't great, the Germans and Poles weren't peaches either. But we got out and fled to......Ohio, the last place anyone would look for us I guess.

As for having a Bar Mitzvah..... it had its perks with the presents and what not, but it took a full year of study (at age 12-13 thats a LONG time), many nights were given up walking around the house chanting in hebrew. Plus, if jews could be nazi's, then my hebrew teacher would have been that manifestation. I had more than a couple of threats about putting a stop to the entire thing weeks before the big day because he thought I wasn't ready and kept threatening to let me go up on the Bihma just so he could go there with me and announce in front of 500 people that I was an idiot and shouldn't be a man yet. By the end of the night, I would have given up all the gifts and money so I didn't have to go through all that sh.it again (I didn't, but it was still very harowing). Keep in mind by the way, that I was a reform jew so my service that I led only lasted around 2 hours. A conservative has to go for 8 hours and I don't even want to imagine what an orthodox one has to go through.

December 14, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
    • DamianKnight

@Chuckles,

My heart and I are at war. I am slowly trying to kill it. So far, it's a persistent, unrelenting bas.tard.

Yeah, my family like embodies Scandinavia. Is it any wonder I have such an explosive, fiery temper? I'm one of those people who in a fight, I see red and then...just blink out of it a minute later and go, "What happened?"

Wow, that sounds -harsh-. I'm glad Baptism isn't anything like that. We just go in a pool, profess our obedience to Christ, they dunk us and boom, done. Grab a towel. As I'm Protestant, we don't have First Communion, Confirmation or any of that. Of course, we also have rules (in my church, at least) that you can't get baptized until you're at least in your teens. Before then you're not able to make the conscious decision to follow Christ. We do a Baby Dedication for new parents though, which is basically just a blessing on the newborn and an affirmation by the parents that they will raise the child according to God's law.

December 14, 2011 at 12:35 pm |
    • Chuckles

I just don't understand why stuff that tastes so good has to be so bad for you? Can't science create something that will make you lose weight AND taste like bacon?

Also, I've heard those Scandanavians have the worst tempers. If you don't watch out, they'll even say a couple of choice words to you now and again and NOT offer you a donut.

The baptism stuff sounds a lot nicer, I mean the bar mitvah stuff made me pull out my hair and when they told me that every jew has to go through 2 of them..... well lets just say I was already considering leaving judaism and that was just another brick in the path.

I always thought baptism was right after birth, is that only a catholic thing or a protestant *insert your sect here* thing?

December 14, 2011 at 12:56 pm |
    • DamianKnight

@ Chuckles,

I know, right? Why can't...like salad be the worst thing in the world for you, but the super duper bacon and egg scramble be like what they encourage you to eat on the Biggest Loser?

Yeah we have kinda chilled out after the whole ra.pe, murder and pillage thing we did to the British Isles. But we're still angry. Very angry. Must come from living in so much snow.

Some churches do baptism right at birth. Catholics and Eastern Orthodox mainly, but definitely some Protestants and it was mainly to make sure if the child died early that their soul would go to Heaven. My church doesn't believe that baptism is a requirement to get to Heaven. But it is a natural step in the progression of faith. We believe that baptism is a public confession of faith and symbolic of dying to the old, sinful nature and rising again, reborn in Christ. But we don't believe that a child can make that commitment, so we wait for people to make the choice to be baptized. As it's not a requirement for salvation, it's not as time-sensitive as it is for other Christians.

December 14, 2011 at 1:07 pm |
    • Chuckles

@Damian

I'll make this deal with you. If god can come to earth and make it possible for all my favorite foods to not kill me, gain weight or any of the other bad consequences, he'll score a convert.

December 14, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • DamianKnight

@Chuckles,

ROFL! Well I've been eating crappy for 30+ years and when I went to the doctor, he said my blood pressure was normal. Does that count?

December 14, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
    • Chuckles

I didn't ask god to show his face and give YOU the miracle. This deal only counts if he does the same for me. Preferably by appearing and saying "Chuckles, eat to your hearts content, you will never gain another pound, your blood pressure will be fine, no zits, no nothing" then, and only then, shall I become the most godly god guy around. I also extend this challenge to any god around, not just the christian god.

December 14, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
    • Hot Carl

The oldest daughter looks like a deer caught in the headlights, and the little boy looks like a younger version of Muhammd Atta. What's he hiding in his hands, a detonator?

December 14, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • Chuckles

@Hot

Thank you for adding less than nothing to the conversation. Good to know you can use your eyes and make your brain spurt some bigotry.

December 14, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
  2. changeit

How can this Florida group have so much power to cause a company as big as Lowes to back off. If you don't want to see a reality show about American Muslims, with commercials about Lowes, don't watch it! How sad we, as Americans, now feel threatened by a group because of some extremists commiting unforgivable crimes. Should the world feel the same about us. You know we have Timothy McVeigh. AN extremist commiting an unforgivable crime. Looks like just a big oppotunity for people to argue about their own beliefs.

December 14, 2011 at 8:30 am |
    • Jimmy CrapCorn

changeit. Shut up you panty wearing Fairy.

December 14, 2011 at 8:34 am |
    • rick

Jimmy: I see you are experiencing diarrhea of the brain. Go home and get your shinebox, gash

December 14, 2011 at 8:39 am |
    • TruthPrevails

Jimmy's off his meds!

December 14, 2011 at 9:17 am |
  3. AtheistSteve

David Caton, executive director of the Florida Family Association said:
    " We believe this show is propaganda, and we have called on advertisers across the country to pull."

Pot meet kettle....Utter hypocrisy from one of the biggest propaganda machines in the US. If this show was instead created as All-American-Scientologists they would merely be ridiculed and allowed to retain their sponsors otherwise L. Ron's minions would happily milk millions from Lowes in lawsuits. Personally I welcome this inter-faith hatred. They can continue to bicker over who has the "true" God until they wipe each other out.

December 14, 2011 at 5:22 am |
    • Jimmy CrapCorn

Hey Steve. PHUCK YOU, Buddy.

December 14, 2011 at 8:15 am |
    • TruthPrevails

Wow, I see we have a child on the blog...Jimmy, shouldn't you be in school? This blog is for adults who know how to use proper language and know how to spell not for 15 year old children!

December 14, 2011 at 8:47 am |
    • AtheistSteve

Excellent retort there Jimmy Boy...did you come up with that all by yourself or did your Mama help you?

December 14, 2011 at 9:00 am |
    • Jimmy CrapCorn's Momy

@Jimmy: Did you steal yur Dady's crack pipe again? Get your fat ass off the puter boy and get to skool now before I give you a beating you'all nevr forgett.

December 14, 2011 at 9:04 am |
    • captain america

What canadians don't get is American issues have re no reason to need their input. Go screw your self "truth" and leave honest Americans to our own business.

December 14, 2011 at 9:18 am |
    • DamianKnight

You do understand that American and Canadian economies are inexorably linked, correct? You do understand that they are our biggest partners, right? Like, the fact that if we cut off Canada, a lot of the east coast is going without power, our oil prices will skyrocket and we won't have a lot of the lumber we need.

Don't be so hard on Canada. The people there are awesome.

December 14, 2011 at 11:27 am |
  4. hamsta

i love how all the religions argue and even fight wars over whos right and wrong.then theres the atheists who believe theres no god.as i said they believe.a belief is an opinion and theres a difference between fact and opinion.having spent time in the spirit world im going to say ur all wrong.god is real and so is jesus and the grim reaper.religion is a sin.u cant put a name to god or his word.he stated i am that i am when asked for his name.all religions are partially correct and massively wrong even the christians.god said not to put any images before him.the church has people worshipping jesus as though he is god.yes he is the son of god but that doesnt make him god.when u get to the fields of the nepholeme u will find out ur all wrong.

December 14, 2011 at 3:20 am |
    • TruthPrevails

And once again telling us that we will find out is wasting your breath and time...we won't agree and no matter how many times you say it, you won't make us believe.

December 14, 2011 at 4:15 am |
    • AtheistSteve

My opinion is that YOUR belief is total hogwash. If you claimed you were abducted by aliens from outer space then I would think that was hogwash too. There is no difference. What you can't seem to get through your thick skull is that we who choose not to give credence to your claim are not making a statement of belief. We are taking a position of suspending our belief until you can provide solid reasons to change our minds. Claims of an all powerful creator God is an extraordinarily fantastic stretch of reason and as such require pretty convincing evidence...and we are still waiting to hear some. Myself and other atheists on this board are making no claims....we just aren't buying the baloney you're selling.

December 14, 2011 at 7:32 am |
    • rick

Your belief is subjective. Hold it, but if you try to convince others with it, you are going to fail

December 14, 2011 at 8:42 am |
    • captain america

All canadian opinion improved 100% would still be below the level of horse sh it to America. At least horse sh it can be used for fertilizer.

December 14, 2011 at 9:49 am |
    • captain canuck eh

captain america, our soils are so rich that we can afford to send our stealth airforce away to cr@p on your lawns and fertilize them for you. Think of it as charity from us to your poor healthcare-less, resource-poor nation. As you get more desperate and your food stamps run out, have fun eating the goose cr@p we send you.

And thanks for splurging on armaments and troops with more money than your taxes bring in, so we don't have to. Have a nice day in the food stamp lineup, eh.

December 14, 2011 at 11:03 am |
    • tallulah13

The original post was amazingly unreadable. This is a prime example of the failure of "No Child Left Behind". If the United States wants to maintain a position of any prominence on the world stage, we have to invest in education.

December 14, 2011 at 11:07 am |
  5. Thom

Lowe's is simply UN AMERICAN, they withdrew their support at the behest of a group that called Muslim Americans terrorist, but it is the EVANGELICAL GROUP and LOWE'S Corporation who are the un American terrorist and Lowe's should be ashamed, I will take my business to Home Depot and I am Catholic and Republican

December 13, 2011 at 11:36 pm |
    • The Phist

May home depot and the vatican go bankrupt.

December 13, 2011 at 11:37 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Way to go Lowe's and may the FREAK SHOW that is the GOP go back to the carnival they came from . Obama 2012! And you can take the Christians and Jews with you.

December 13, 2011 at 11:40 pm |
    • Jimmy CrapCorn

Hey Thom. The money belongs to Lowes and they can do with it what they will you phuckin loser. PHUCK YOU!

December 14, 2011 at 8:17 am |
    • AGuest9

Thorn, I think the beheading of the woman accused of "witchcraft" speaks many MORE volumes than this cute TV show.

December 14, 2011 at 10:05 am |
    • tallulah13

Hey guest, I think that abusing a child to death on the biblical premise of "spare the rod, spoil the child" speaks volumes about a religion. Did you happen to miss that article here, or were you pretending it didn't happen?

How about we judge individuals by their actions instead of judging them by the extreme members of their religions? There is enough irrational hatred in the world without this group in Florida adding their two cents.

December 14, 2011 at 11:13 am |
    • tallulah13

Also, guest, tens, if not hundreds of thousands of people were killed by christians on the suspi.cion that they were witches. Even now, evangelicals in Africa are accusing children of being witches, leading to the torture and sometimes death of these innocents.

So tell me again: Should we judge all people by the actions of the worst individuals in their group?

December 14, 2011 at 11:25 am |
  6. Reality

What Lowe"s and all the other retailers should advertise (A PowerPoint slide);

SAVING 1.5 BILLION LOST MUSLIMS:
    THERE NEVER WERE AND NEVER WILL BE ANY ANGELS I.E. NO GABRIEL, NO ISLAM AND THEREFORE NO MORE KORANIC-DRIVEN ACTS OF HORROR AND TERROR LIKE 9/11.

SAVING 2 BILLION LOST CHRISTIANS:
    THERE WERE NEVER ANY BODILY RESURRECTIONS AND THERE WILL NEVER BE ANY BODILY RESURRECTIONS I.E. NO EASTER, NO CHRISTIANITY.

SAVING 15.5 MILLION FOLLOWERS OF JUDAISM:
    ABRAHAM AND MOSES PROBABLY NEVER EXISTED.

Added details upon request.

December 13, 2011 at 11:26 pm |

Welcome to Home Depot.

December 13, 2011 at 11:37 pm |
    • .........

what we should all advertise hit report abuse on all reality bull sh it

December 14, 2011 at 9:19 am |
  7. Brett

“And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. But may we hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this most venerated reformer of human errors.” —Thomas Jefferson, Letter to John Adams, April 11, 1823

December 13, 2011 at 11:24 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Blah blah blah and tell my slave wh-ore to get the stains out of my undies.

December 13, 2011 at 11:43 pm |
  8. gupsphoo

Look at Saudi Arabia. It doesn't even allow people to bring Bibles into their country, and non-Muslim isn't allowed to enter Mecca.

It's funny how some Muslims have the nerves to call Christians "intolerant".

December 13, 2011 at 11:14 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

And Kaboom! No religion = progress. Religion = doom.

December 13, 2011 at 11:22 pm |
    • The Phist

People actually want to go to saudi of their own free will?

December 13, 2011 at 11:38 pm |
    • tallulah13

It's funny how the topic of this story is the treatment of muslims by christians in the United States.

December 14, 2011 at 1:45 am |
  9. The Phist

Lowes made the correct choice here. Get as far away from this crap as possible.

December 13, 2011 at 11:05 pm |
    • Taiping

What crap? There's like five dozen types of it floating around!

December 13, 2011 at 11:12 pm |
    • The Phist

Religion. That crap.

December 13, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Fact: Humans cannot survive with religion. We must evolve.

December 13, 2011 at 11:24 pm |
    • Taiping

We can exist without religion as religion is just one type of delusional belief system.
      There are plenty of people existing without ANY delusional belief system beyond inaccurate knowledge which can lead to delusional thinking itself.
      Why don't you think about it some more, Ungodly?

December 13, 2011 at 11:45 pm |

Taiping
      You did not read my post correctly. We agree on this point.

December 14, 2011 at 12:08 am |
    • Taiping

Whoops! I see what you mean. I thank you for not whacking me over the head with it, Ungodly.

December 14, 2011 at 12:12 am |
    • tallulah13

Sadly, they got away from one religion at the behest of another. Hardly an improvement.

December 14, 2011 at 1:46 am |
  10. Ron

It's not Christianity we have to worry about, folks. It's Judaism, which is the most hateful, satanic cult on the face of this earth. Read the Talmud. See what they say about all non-jew i.e. "Goyim". I

December 13, 2011 at 11:05 pm |
    • Ron

If you disagree with my statements, you are a brainwashed idiot. Anyone who deems me racist or anti-Semitic is simply repeating what they have been told by their televisions.

December 13, 2011 at 11:06 pm |
    • Taiping

Ron
      You are having tunnel vision. Most religions encourage violence as part of the text. The Q'uran and NT also have plenty of violence. All it takes is for someone to interpret it and follow it so that they commit crimes against other people.
      Religion is the problem, not one particular religion. As an ethnic-based tribal group, Jews are still individuals.
      Painting with such a broad brush shows you have been brainwashed, not me.

December 13, 2011 at 11:19 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Ron, your are completely full of sh it. ALL religions are dangerous.

December 13, 2011 at 11:25 pm |
    • The Phist

Ron, thank you for the comic relief.

December 13, 2011 at 11:35 pm |
    • Observer

Radical Muslims seem to be following God's original commands in the Bible that is supported by Jews AND Christians.

December 14, 2011 at 12:00 am |

Observer,
      There is no God, there are no demands, these creeps are vile psychopaths of their own accord.

December 14, 2011 at 12:11 am |
    • Observer

Ungodly Discipline,
      "Observer, There is no God"

That's not the point. Their commands to kill are nearly identical to those in the Bible. Same religious fanatacism.

December 14, 2011 at 12:27 am |
  11. hamsta

@david-i find it funny that everyone thinks christians are intolerant.muslims cut ur hands off for stealing.muslims behead there own daughters and call it an honor killing just for showing their face in public whereas a true christian says this prayer if someone wrongs them-father forgive them for they know not what they do.-sounds like a guilty conscience pointing that finger to me.

December 13, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Could you try that again in English?

December 13, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  12. hamsta

Maybe hitler was christian,but thats not what the word nazi means.@ungodly discipline-u must not be intelligent enuff to read cuz what i said is in the history book.

December 13, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

hamsta, here is the thing. I am trying to complement you but you push back so maybe you are stupid. Yes, I think we all know Hitler was Catholic. Duh. But no one as evil as he was actually subscribed to any religion or even non-religion. He was evil incarnate. So why do you insist on believing HIM? Clearly he is a sick, lying, homicidal maniac. Don't you see that? Do you think serial killers tell the truth too?

December 13, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  13. hamsta

i really like how cnn put muslims in the same category as all other minorities.reality check the twin towers werent blown up by blacks mexicans jews or even gays.it was MUSLIMS.

December 13, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
    • Taiping

"Muslims" are not a race or even an ethnic group. As a minority they exist as a religious and cultural minority.
      Perhaps CNN is just trying to balance the very loud and sociopathic behavior of the Christian Right by showing Muslims as individuals who share a common religion. They also cover other religions but those are so obscured by the "Big 3" most people hardly know enough to have an opinion.
      Tell me how you feel about Sikhs. They can be very violent too. Do you know why? Do you think Sikhs are all of one race?
      Or Buddhists? Have you even bothered to think about it?

December 13, 2011 at 11:25 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

I loves me those silly Buddhists. Big beer bellies and all. Sweet.

December 13, 2011 at 11:46 pm |
    • rick

really, hamsta? want to compare deaths in this country due to muslims compared to those due to blacks?

December 14, 2011 at 8:55 am |
  14. Ungodly Discipline

I am telling you that girl in the middle is "Pat" from Saturday Nightl Life, The u n i s e x office worker.

December 13, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
    • Donkey

The rest of the kids look like something spawned by Shrek.

December 13, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
    • Taiping

They look like nice kids. Just like most kids. How can you make fun of a child? What did this girl do to you?

December 13, 2011 at 11:27 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

I am just saying she looks like a trans-s e x ual. I can't be honest? If you put yourself out there, people willl have opinions. I keep me kids off the grid.

December 13, 2011 at 11:34 pm |
    • Taiping

And there are so many trans-people walking around that you always know what they look like?
      Face it, Ungodly, you don't know a damn thing about it and are just trying to cover your ass.

December 13, 2011 at 11:50 pm |
    • get a life ungodly

it is no surprise you'd attack children considering your nickname is a reference to child abuse "ungodly discipline"

absolutely disgusting deplorable and tasteless

December 13, 2011 at 11:51 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

"Taiping" and "get a life ungodly"

1. You are both ignorant but hilarious and I hope you keep posting.
      2. My name came from the Sherriff in a recent story that beat the sh it out of his daughter in the name of God. I have two beautiful and talented daughters and enjoy an amazing relationship with them that is non-violent, nurturing, healthy and full of joy.
      3. I usually know a tranny when I see one. Not always of course, I am just joking around sometimes. I don't why you all are always so serious. But back in the day when I was in the theater, you see it ALL. So you are a little off base there.

December 14, 2011 at 12:22 am |
  15. Ungodly Discipline

Ok, wow.

Obama = cool dude
    Musliims = misguided terrorists
    Americans – stupid
    Hitler = In a class by himself
    Lowes = Big Box store
    Saddam = insane

December 13, 2011 at 9:51 pm |
    • Taiping

Did you come up with this list all by yourself?

December 13, 2011 at 11:51 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Taiping, I see you are really interested in me. Is this a love affair??

December 14, 2011 at 12:25 am |
  16. David

Why are christians always so intolerant?

December 13, 2011 at 9:48 pm |

They are religious. duh.

December 13, 2011 at 9:52 pm |
  17. hamsta

if ur name is reality why cant u see reality?the muslims are the ones acting like nazis.i should know im half german.the reason the world cant get rid of the terrorists is cuz they kiss as instead of treating them as they did the germans.MUSLIMS blew up the twin towers.all muslims should be held responsible.muslims let it happen.muslims couldve stopped it but muslims chose not to.so muslims should clean it up.thats exactly how the germans were treated after the fall of the nazi party.by the way the very definition of the word nazi is national socialist workers party.whos a socialist and muslim?OBAMA.hitlers entire family changed their name.the last name hitler cant be found in a phone book anywhere in the world.why is obamas middle name still HUSSEIN?answer-because hes a MUSLIM NAZI.

December 13, 2011 at 9:38 pm |

December 13, 2011 at 9:56 pm |
    • Bippy, the New Weekday Hooter s Girl

hamsta is delightfully tacky, yet unrefined! Like me!

December 13, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
    • nik

You being half german gives you no credibility. the terrorist are nothing like nazis. They are violent, thats the only thing they have in common. The Nazis were voted in and and the country as a whole was both aware of and responisible. The national army did the horrors carried out the horrors, not a tiny group of extremists with no direct connection to any country. Not to mention their crimes are incomparable. Your explanation of Obama being a "nazi muslim" is one of the stupidest things i have read on the internet

December 13, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

hamsta is bi-polar. that is why I give him/her some rope.

December 13, 2011 at 11:49 pm |
    • Taiping

"Ungodly Discipline
      hamsta, why don't you apply your mind to a higher level of thinking? I think you are relatively intelligent, but you don't take the time to fully investigate the topic before posting, and then your posts become silly. Work on it. You could contribute with some effort."
      Wow. Talk about not following your own advice!

December 13, 2011 at 11:52 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Taiping, there might be hope for hamsta, but certainly not for you. You should just hang up your skates partner.

December 14, 2011 at 12:27 am |
  18. anthony pacifico

SADDAM HUSSEIN ADORED HITLER... FACT.....

December 13, 2011 at 9:29 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Will the real Hitler Adorer please stand up!

December 13, 2011 at 9:58 pm |
    • dt

Hitler was a christian. fact.

December 13, 2011 at 9:58 pm |
    • Hitler

you wouldn't know a fact if it was giving you a free hand job.

December 13, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

When you can read minds I will worship YOU.

December 13, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
  19. anthony pacifico

I STAND WITH LOWE'S

December 13, 2011 at 9:28 pm |

I stand with Home Depot.

December 13, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
    • BG

Sure. Home Depot. Jewish startup that contributed a quarter mill to the Bush2 election. They pulled their AmMuslim ads alongside of Lowes.

Standing by, Ungodly?

*static*

December 13, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

I don't give a sh it about that. The store is only a mile from my house.

December 13, 2011 at 11:51 pm |
  20. reality

Muslims should kick out all the racist Americans from their countries because those American Nazis want to kill every Muslim in world. that's why they don't even want a normal American family to be shown on TV , they just want extremist Muslims to be on TV so that they could continue their war against all the Muslims and kill all Muslims.

December 13, 2011 at 9:15 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Reality, bless your heart, you have had too much to drink.

December 13, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
    • BG

it's... wait for it...

an alternate reality.

December 13, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
    • Reality

Not from the original Reality.

December 13, 2011 at 11:24 pm |