home
RSS
Key Gingrich staff member departs over Mormon comment
December 14th, 2011

Key Gingrich staff member departs over Mormon comment

By the CNN Political Unit

(CNN) – Craig Bergman, Iowa campaign director for GOP presidential front-runner Newt Gingrich, stepped down from his role Tuesday amid reports he made a controversial comment about Mormonism.

"He made a comment to a focus group prior to becoming an employee that is inconsistent with Newt 2012's pledge to run a positive and solutions orientated campaign," said R.C. Hammond, press secretary for Gingrich.

According to the Des Moines Register, Bergman called Mormonism a 'cult' on Wednesday when talking to a focus group. The newspaper attributed the remark to The Iowa Republican, a conservative news website.

Read the full story about the Gingrich aide quitting
- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Uncategorized

1. conservativeforAmerica

Key word believe! Some fartoligists believe that sniffing your own farts causes brain damage! People can say anything they want it all boils down to faith and an understanding of the lord and you either got it or you don't.

December 14, 2011 at 7:32 pm |
    • Yo!

' People can say anything they want it all boils down to faith and an understanding of the lord and you either got it or you don't."

So next time you hear a child talking to their imaginary friend, you know they are talking to something real because they have faith. LOL! OH...that's right...it's all in their head. 😉

December 15, 2011 at 8:09 am |
  2. conservativeforAmerica

First off I do not think my blackberry has a reply button but ok whatever you say. Next if that comment about me changing my alias was directed towards me I have been using the sam one the whole time I have no need to change it. I didn't twist anything you said it not me!!!

December 14, 2011 at 6:59 pm |
    • Snow

Anna banana.. is that you?

December 14, 2011 at 7:03 pm |
    • The Educated

Blackberry. The "smart" phone choice of christianity.

December 14, 2011 at 7:24 pm |
  3. conservativeforAmerica

So what you are saying we use more of our brain than no believers right? Wow thanks for the compliment.

December 14, 2011 at 6:48 pm |
    • Yo!

A typical twisting job of a christian, thanks for proving christians are idiots, especially since you don't even know how to use the reply button. So, no your brain isn't firing in all areas. 😉

December 14, 2011 at 6:56 pm |
    • The Educated

I highly recommend you do some research. Studies have shown that those who believe in god have a smaller hippocampus. Also, studies have been conducted on believers of multiple faiths, and the "spiritual" results are all the same. That is, they all have the same results. Funny, but how is it that ALL of the believers of differing beliefs have the same spiritual experiences?

Easy! Because it's part of the brain, and not really anything spiritual. And if you want to experience it, you just need to get yourself a "god helmet" as it has been nicknamed.

Google it. It really does exist.

You don't have to go to church. You just strap this bad boy on, turn up the magnetic waves and *BAM!* you'll feel like god is right there. Welcome to science. You don't have to waste your time on useless religion anymore if you're sad and lonely.

December 14, 2011 at 7:01 pm |
    • Pete

"Wow thanks for the compliment"

I wouldn't exactly say it's a compliment, unless you suffer from seizures. During epileptic seizures, sufferers often claim to hear the voice of angels or of God. Some epileptologists believe that many of the great religious figures, such as Moses and St. Paul, had epilepsy. Now neurologists believe they've found the sweet spot for spiritual experience - in the temporal lobe. Some scientists say the temporal lobe, which is associated with emotion and memory, is the seat of spirituality. It's also where epileptic activity takes place.

December 14, 2011 at 7:02 pm |
    • Rick

Pete: I had assumed they had stumbled upon magic mushrooms

December 14, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
  4. conservativeforAmerica

Oh really who proved it you? This chemical in the brain makes you belive in god and only some of us have it right?

December 14, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
    • Yo!

No, those that don't believe don't activate the back of the brain like the religious types do, their sensations stay in the frontal lobes. It's all in your head.

December 14, 2011 at 6:44 pm |
    • Yo!

So Bo, aka all the other alias that you are using learn to use the REPLY BUTTON!

December 14, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
    • Mary Fields

Jesus is not a chemical reaction. Sorry. I feel His presence every day.

December 14, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
    • Yo!

"Sorry. I feel His presence every day."

It's because you enjoy that chemical reaction, anyone who puts themselves in a meditative state has the exact same feeling regardless of a god.

December 14, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
  5. conservativeforAmerica

Lol I hear ya! Are you trying to convince me or yourself?

December 14, 2011 at 6:36 pm |
    • Yo!

It's a proven fact it is all about the brain, not a god.

December 14, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
    • Curious

Yo!
      Proven facts are always interesting. How was this one proved?

December 14, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
  6. conservativeforAmerica

No just like all these people I didn't believe in really anything to tell you the truth. I never went to church as a child as a matter of fact my mother was an atheist and my father a drunk. It was on March 4 2005 I decided to go to a church basically just to see how it was the name of the church was Mt Zion. I was sitting in the back listening and I felt like he was talking to me I had can not explain the feeling that came over me it was just unbelievable. My hands were shaking I was sweating and it was right there in the last pew off a baptist church in Tennessee that I came to know Jesus! To date it was the best day of my life and I can not tell you the blessings I have received from him in this short amount of time! I am overwhelmed my his grace and mercy in life! I am not a bible thumper I do not talk only about religion I like everything that most people like. We get a bad because of a few that are just fanatics. I believe in him I know that he is real and look forward to here my named called whether it be tonight tmr or whenever.

December 14, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
    • That wasn't jesus

It was the result of a chemical reaction in your brain due to mommy and daddy issues.

December 14, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
    • Brad

conservativeforAmerica: I know the feeling. It didn't happen all at once like that for me. It really does change your life, doesn't it? I was atheist-agnostic til the age of 35 or so.

December 14, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
  7. CANADA ROCKS

I'm so thankful I don't have to vote for your politicians. You can keep rick perry and all the rest.

December 14, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
    • captain america

54 40 or fight. It is still ours. Friends to the north?

December 14, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
    • CANADA ROCKS

What's still yours? Your national debt? All the land in your country that china owns? Or that joke of a political system?

December 14, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
    • Not Now John

You rock Canada – the only thing that comes from the US these days is their Army, Navy and Airforce.

December 14, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
    • AGuest9

Oh, never mind, CANADA ROCKS. It looks like the two of you have met.

December 14, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
    • captain america

All the land 54 40 and below , all the earths resources everywhere, but 1st and foremost all the resources of North America. If you ain't freezing you are on American land.

December 14, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
    • captain america

Some canadians speak french, some canadians speak english, all canadians speak qu eer.

December 14, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
  8. conservativeforAmerica

I never said you had to agree with me nor I with you! It is called faith and I have it. If you would have read the rest of the conversation you would know that. Like I said earlier If I am wrong no harm done I will just be dust like everyone else but if you are wrong well you know the rest.

December 14, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • Curious

Someone must have defined Pascal's wager for you by now. Did you come to faith in response to it, or did your faith come by some other means?

December 14, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
    • Yo!

Learn to use the reply button, it will make you more credible.

December 14, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
  9. conservativeforAmerica

Ok after all that is carbon dating 100 percent accurate?? Don't worry you don't have to answer that because I already know. And after all that jibberish you just made my point so I guess you have been alive for 5730 years right? Nah a scientist came up with this and you can either a: agree with or b: disagree with it. Thanks for the help.

December 14, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
    • Yo!

"Nah a scientist came up with this and you can either a: agree with or b: disagree with it"

Nah a man came up your god and you can either a: agree with or b: disagree with it. But we already know the answer you can't prove your god exists 100% because lets face it was created by man.

December 14, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
  10. captain america

Quiz what north american country asked for American help overthrowing a repressive government,then seized American freedom fighters who came to help, hanging many and imprisoning the rest for long prison terms? Cuba? Nope, canada.
    P.S. The lawyer for the defense that got all the American freedom fighters hung went on to lead canada. Friends to the north?

December 14, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
    • Not Now John

True North proud and free!

December 14, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
  11. conservativeforAmerica

Again you can not prove that is a 100 percent correct truth. Just the same as I can not prove that Jesus was the son of god and sent here to die for the sins of you and me, but I have faith. As for this other guy I can put a name on any argument is that suppose to. Validate anything. Oh I know I am wrong well you could have just said hey guy you are wrong spouting off some scientific name of a failing argument means nothing! You must have evolved into a super human know it all genius while we were all asleep!! Good for you. Jesus is the answer to all your troubles. You do not have to answer to me nor I to you, but you can bet you will answer to him one day.

December 14, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
    • Yo!

“Jesus is the answer to all your troubles. You do not have to answer to me nor I to you, but you can bet you will answer to him one day.”

You cannot prove that is a 100 percent correct truth but no one will be answering to anyone, you’ll just become another carbon being dated in 50,000 years from now. 😉

December 14, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
  12. conservativeforAmerica

If I am wrong it will not matter according to your view. If you are wrong well I wouldn't want to be you! You are comparing apples to oranges! We are talking about
    Telling the age of rocks and trees. Because some scientists said it was so. well looks like we are both putting our trust in what someone else says right?

December 14, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
    • Feather

sock puppet?

December 14, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
    • Mr. S.

Have you ever submitted a radiocarbon date? I've done dozens of them and they work. Believe what you want but I'll go with results.

December 14, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
    • Fallacy Spotting 101

Initial statement by conservativeforAmerica is a common form of the failed argument known as Pascal's Wager.

December 14, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
    • Not Now John

Carbon date a rock? The half-life of carbon-14 is only 5730 years.

December 14, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
    • ScienceGuy

"Carbon date a rock? The half-life of carbon-14 is only 5730 years."

It might help if you finish that sentence, it's more than just 5730 years, you must be a christian..... LOL!
      Carbon 14 dating is an accurate method for determining the age of things that have a biological origin such as bones, cloth made from natural fibers, artifacts made of wood, and charcoal.

All plants and animals are made up of chemicals that contain three types of carbon atoms or isotopes. The most common isotope is carbon 12. It generally accounts for roughly 99% of all the carbon atoms found in a plant or animal. Another isotope is carbon 13 that comprises about 1% of the total. The third isotope is carbon 14. It is found in only tiny amounts compared to carbon 12. In a living plant or animal there is only about one carbon 14 atoms for every trillion carbon 12 atoms.

Carbon (C12, C13 and C14) is acquired by plants from carbon dioxide (CO2) in the atmosphere. Animals get carbon by breathing in carbon dioxide and by ingesting plants and other animals. The result is that all living things have a specific ratio of carbon 12 and carbon 14 isotopes. Generally speaking, it is the same ratio found in the atmosphere. The ratio begins to change, however, when a plant or animal dies and it is no longer taking on carbon from nature. Carbon 14, unlike carbon 12 and carbon 13, is radioactive. This means that over time the carbon 14 atoms will decay. When the isotope carbon 14 decays it gives off a beta particle and in doing so becomes nitrogen 14. The amount of carbon 12 and carbon 13, however, remains constant.

The half-life of different isotopes range from fractions of a second to millions of years. The half-life of carbon 14 is 5730 years. This means that in 5730 years, half of the carbon 14 atoms will have become nitrogen 14. In the next 5730 years, half of the remaining carbon 14 will have decayed.

The following table shows the approximate amount of carbon 14 that will remain years after a plant or animal has died.

Half--–Life--–Years--–C14 Remaining

1--–5,730--–50.0%

2--–11,460--–25.0%

3--–17,190--–12.5%

4--–22,920--–6.3%

5--–28,650--–3.1%

6--–34,380--–1.6%

7--–45,840--–0.8%

Thus, if we are able to measure the percentage of carbon 14 that remains in a sample we can determine its age. The sample may be from a human bone, an animal antler, a piece of line made from flax fibers, a wooden tool or charcoal from an ancient fire. All of these things were once part of something that was alive.

December 14, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
    • Not Now John

Thanks for the update ScienceGuy, but for rocks I'd go for uranium dating.

December 14, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
  13. conservativeforAmerica

The vatican is a joke. The pope is not anymore holy than you or me so what the vatican thinks is irrelevant and I was merely stating that a monkey is still a monkey no smarter no dumber a dog is still a dog a camel a camel the same thing they have been for thousands of years. Also all that scientific talk is just a guess! That is all it is! The same as my faith that is why they call it faith! You keep looking at science for your answers and I will keep trusting in Jesus not the POPE!

December 14, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • Mr. S.

"all that scientific talk is just a guess! That is all it is!"

Well "scientific talk" came up with computers, cars, lunar landing, etc. Not bad for "just a guess."

December 14, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
    • Fallacy Spotting 101

Post by conservativeforAmerica is an instance of the argumentum ad verecundium fallacy.

December 14, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
    • Not Now John

Fallacy – I guess I just don't see it. He seems to be discrediting authority. He mentions Jesus, but not in support of anything in particular. I'd say argumentum ad nauseam.

December 14, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

A camel is not still a camel.
      The Camilidae family is diverse and widepsread throughout the planet.
      it includes dromeday and arabian camels as well as the south american llama, alpaca, guanaco, and vicuña.
      Being supremely well adapted to their environment, they are a wonderful example of evolution in action!
      Fossil evidence has shown that they first developed in North America about 10,000 years ago. Those ancient specimens are knows as Camelops hesternus. They speciated as they spread through Asia and encountered new environments.

The evolutionary path of the family Canidae, to which dogs belong, has been traced back some 40 miilion years.
      Fossils of Prohesperocyon speciems were unearthed in Texas in the mid nineties and was independently verified by multiple scientists in the decade that followed.
      Today, you can see many examples of different species of Canis likes wolves, coyotes, foxes, jackals, and the domestic dog.

However you feel about the Pope and the Vatican (and if you're a Baptist, I know you've some deep seated animosity), you cannot deny that they are a valid example of a dogmatic religion not prone to readily accepting facts. Just look at how long it took them to abandom geocentrism!
      And yet, just as they could no longer deny the evidence of an unfathomably ancient, expanding universe of which we are but an infinitesimal part, they had to accept Evolution in the face of overwhelming evidence and near universal consensus among various unrelated fields of science.

Science and faith are antonymns!
      The scientific method is based on the rejection of faith.
      Hypothesize, test, observe, repeat – while meticulously docu.menting each step so that anyone else can reproduce your test and (hopefully) results. Science is an invitation to scrutiny whereas faith is a plea to ignorance.
      Faith does not tolerate questioning – science demands it.

"One can judge from experiment, or one can blindly accept authority. To the scientific mind, experimental proof is all important and theory is merely a convenience in description, to be junked when it no longer fits. To the academic mind, authority is everything and facts are junked when they do not fit theory laid down by authority."
      " The great trouble with religion — any religion — is that a religionist, having accepted certain propositions by faith, cannot thereafter judge those propositions by evidence. One may bask at the warm fire of faith or choose to live in the bleak uncertainty of reason — but one cannot have both."
      – Robert Heinlein

December 15, 2011 at 8:40 am |
  14. Snow

He needed to show to the sheep of the country that he is such a tolerant and moral person.. enough to fire someone from his own camp .. and needed a scapegoat..

stupid idiots of the country take this lying cheating moron's word as greatest thing after sliced bread and don't even figure out when they are played for dummies..

what great state of politics we are in..

December 14, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
  15. conservativeforAmerica

Yeah because I can look at a rock and tell you exactly how old it is can't you? And if we came from monkeys would monkeys be turning into humans today you know that evolution stuff?

December 14, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
    • rick

The idea is not that we came from monkies. The idea is that we came from a common ancestor

December 14, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

Actually, you can look at a rock and see how old it is using any one of the following methods:

Electron Spin Resonance Dating
      Optically-Stimulated Luminescence Dating
      Thermoluminescence dating
      Mass Spectrometric U-Series (MS/U-series) Dating
      Isochron variant of ESR and Thermoluminescence Dating

And you statement regarding monkeys turning into people merely betrays an ignorance of Evolutionary biology.
      Even the Vatican admits that Evolution is fact.

December 14, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • Snow

No one is judging age by just looking at it, you idiot.. And unless you have studied the currently used methods of judging the age through mineral composition and found holes in their thesis, try to take a pie of shut the hell up

December 14, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • KK Denver

Who is this? Sarah Palin?

December 14, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
    • captain america

Truth be told doc v is a useless canadian that thinks that Americans have some regard for his opinion. We don't.

December 14, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  16. conservativeforAmerica

Who debunked our religion name your source! The same scientists that say the earth is getting hotter or that said the earth was getting colder in the 70s? Lol! Keep grasping at straws.

December 14, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

Yeah!
      Those stupid scientists saying that the earth is more than 6000 years old and that it isn't the centre of the universe.
      And what is this evolution stuff?
      Everyone knows that man came from clay and woman came from man's rib.
      It makes perfect sense!
      Just ask the talking snake/donkey/incendiary foliage.

December 14, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
    • rick

Grasping at straws? Keep deifiying bronze age comic books

December 14, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • captain america

A great American president LBJ once hoisted canadian leader lester pearson off the floor by his canadian throat, telling him "you don't come into my living room and pi ss on the rug" .canadian opinion has gone way downhill since then , why should we consider what doc v and his ilk has to say? Friends to the north?

December 14, 2011 at 5:55 pm |
    • AGuest9

Gee, cap'n: Way downhill?

Daume, Daphne; Watson, Louise, eds (1967). Britannica Book of the Year 1967. Chicago: Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc.. p. 191. OCLC 42780089. "Strong exports to the United States resulting from the mounting demands of the war in Vietnam, combined with a booming domestic market, made 1966 a year of impressive economic growth for Canada."

December 14, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
    • captain america

Britannica? Didn't we kick the sh it out of them in 1776 and again in1812? Quote American or pound salt.

December 14, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
  17. Spasm

To all so called christian denominations specially catholic....You fooled our ancestors for so many years.....You fooled my family down to us....I really hate your F****n' religion!

December 14, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
  18. Timon

Wait a minute what's going on here?...Did I miss something?...Hyenas.....I hate Hyenas!!!!

December 14, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
    • Pumbaa

WHERE??

December 14, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • KK Denver

I have a rock that keep hyenas away if you'd like to purchase it.

December 14, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • AGuest9

Sniff-Sniff-Flinch Scurry?

December 14, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
  19. Old Timer

Wherefore,it must needs have been created for a naught;wherefore there would have been no purpose in th end of its creation.Wherefore,this thing must needs destroy the wisdom of God and his eternal purposes, and also the power,and mercy,and the justice of God.

December 14, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • rick

Can you be a bit more clear, Old Timer?

December 14, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • fc

Dementia?

December 14, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
  20. Old Timer

For it must needs be,that there is an opposition in all things.If not so,my first-born in the wilderness,righteousness could not be brought to pass,neither wickedness,neither holiness nor misery,neither good nor bad.

Wherefore,ALL things must needs be a compound in one;wherefore,if it should be one body it must needs remain as dead,having no life neither death,nor corruption nor incorruption,happiness nor misery,neither sense nor insensibility.

December 14, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
    • bluemoondrop

Look ma, just the Bronner's soap bottle.

December 14, 2011 at 3:46 pm |