home
RSS
Christian publisher pulls 'Cancer Awareness Bible' over abortion concerns
LifeWay Christian Resources has pulled its “Cancer Awareness Bible” from Wal-Mart and other stores.
December 15th, 2011

Christian publisher pulls 'Cancer Awareness Bible' over abortion concerns

Editor’s note: An earlier version of this story erroneously stated that Lifeway Christian Bookstores carried the “Cancer Awareness Bible.” The chain never carried that Bible.

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) - A Christian publisher is withdrawing copies of the "Breast Cancer Awareness Bible," from stores because the Bible helped raised money for the Susan G. Komen Foundation, which contributes to Planned Parenthood.

Many conservative Christian groups oppose Planned Parenthood because of its role as an abortion provider, though many of the group's services are not abortion-related.

The "Breast Cancer Awareness Bible" is described "as a way to place God's Word into the hands of those suffering through breast cancer." It was published by B&H Publishing Group - a division of LifeWay Christian Resources, which is owned by the Southern Baptist Convention - and was sold with the stipulation that $1 from the sale of each book would go to the Komen Foundation to support breast health education, screening and treatment programs.

LifeWay Christian Resources also owns LifeWay Christian Bookstores, but the stores never carried the "Cancer Awareness Bible." The book had been distributed to Walmart, K-Mart and other retailers, according to LifeWay Christian Resources.

The Komen Foundation says on its website it gives money to Planned Parenthood, stating that funds from the foundation go to "Planned Parenthood-sponsored breast cancer health programs."

When LifeWay realized it had partnered with an organization that donates to Planned Parenthood, the publisher released a statement saying that it had "made a mistake."

"When our leadership discovered the overwhelming concern that some of Komen's affiliates were giving funds to Planned Parenthood, we began the arduous process of withdrawing this Bible from the market," said Thom S. Rainer, president and CEO of LifeWay, in a release.

"Though we have assurances that Komen's funds are used only for breast-cancer screening and awareness, it is not in keeping with LifeWay's core values to have even an indirect relationship with Planned Parenthood," he said.

This is not the first time the Komen Foundation has been questioned about its connection with Planned Parenthood.

The foundation issued a June 2011 statement that further clarified its association with "19 Planned Parenthood programs."

"In all cases, Komen funding is used exclusively to provide breast cancer programs, including clinical breast exams conducted by trained medical personnel," stated the release. "It's important to note that Komen will only make grants to non-profit organizations. As many mammography providers are for-profit entities, we are only to fund mammography services through grants made to local non-profit service providers."

As long as there are vulnerable communities in need, said the release, "Komen will fund the facilities that can best meet those needs."

The Komen Foundation issued a statement Thursday afternoon contending that there were "no dollars going to Planned Parenthood programs" from sales of the Bibles.

"LifeWay is a first-year partner that pledged $25,000 to Susan G. Komen for the Cure from sales of the pink-covered 'Here's Hope Breast Cancer Awareness Bible.' LifeWay and Komen for the Cure entered the partnership with the mutual hope that this Bible would have special meaning for women and their families during breast cancer treatment and recovery," the foundation said in its statement.

"We are sorry to hear that LifeWay has decided to end sales of the Bible, especially since proceeds from partnership were to support national breast cancer programs."

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Abortion • Belief • Bible • Christianity

1. Doc Vestibule

I love how the Chrstian Pro-Life midset works.
    God granted mankind free will, but His followers see no problems depriving others of it.

December 15, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
    • don'tknowathing

Christian Pro-Choice is the way to go.

December 15, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
    • Jesus

There is very little difference between Christian fundamentalists and Islamic fundamentalists. They each share a strident belief in dogma from an age of gross ignorance and cruelty.They both refuse to adjust to a 21st century world and hold dear the insanity of unproven, unsupported (by fact & reality), ancient myths.

December 15, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
    • SPA Knight

What about the free will of the unborn? It's okay to eliminate their chance to life and free will? How does that logic work?

December 16, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

A bastocyst hasn't the neurons necessary for free will.

December 16, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
  2. Mike

And “gods” word is “screw people with cancer when a political wedge issue is involved”. After all we all know god wants you to help the sick, unless their liberal. And it’s not like there’s anything political about this decision just because it made the news on the verge of the Iowa caucuses. I mean what good would it do to stir up wedge issues right before the G.O.P. nominations anyway? I also like how CNN slaps Wal-Mart in there even though they had nothing to do with the decision, no this isn’t a perfect example of media manipulating politics intentionally, and we all know such political favoritism would be unethical. It’s also not like I would ever use dripping sarcasm either.

December 15, 2011 at 1:05 pm |
    • don'tknowathing

CNN, being politically manipulative? I'm just gonna file that under Herman Cain.

The only chili they haven't stuck their fingers in yet is Mitt Romney, and even there.

December 15, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
    • Nonimus

"only chili they haven't stuck their fingers in yet"
      That's bad, right? It doesn't sound very hygienic, but I'm not certain.

December 15, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
  3. Dr. Wachowski

Ahhh, the lovely atheists bring such joy and happiness to the comments section, never a mean or condescending comment. Atheists, pat yourselves on the back because you guys are just the smartest and most brilliant people alive. I don't know how it happened, but you all have clearly evolved thousands of years beyond us regular humans.

December 15, 2011 at 1:05 pm |
    • JT

Glad to see you admit it. It happened by using one's reason and not suffering from a delusion out of fear and ignorance. At least try to not follow your man-made cult and just believe in a higher power if you must.

December 15, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
    • don'tknowathing

Correction: Religious people are sub-human, so if you think about it, atheists are actually two steps ahead. It really is incredible. Someone should call a scientist.

December 15, 2011 at 1:09 pm |
    • Chuckles

That's right.... attack the atheist instead of defending your own beliefs because that would difficult and require an iota of understanding on your part. When did stonewalling become the christian go to strategy? Was it when jesus was still alive or after the crucifixtion?

December 15, 2011 at 1:09 pm |
    • don'tknowathing

Chuckles, you have *no* *idea* what my beliefs are.

December 15, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
    • Dr. Wachowski

@chuckles – I've done my fair share of research thank you. Don't need to try and prove my knowledge on a random comments board full of trolls, what kind of idiot think that produces any progress or productivity? Haha wow, nice try.

December 15, 2011 at 1:14 pm |
    • claybigsby

Chuckles...hes a doctor...he knows everything. didnt you know that?

December 15, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
    • Chuckles

@dontknowathing

Um.....what?

@Dr. Wachowski

Why comment or even read this board if you feel that way. Also, if you've done the research and have still come to the conclusion that it makes sense and could be truthful, well bully for you, go for it. My stance on these boards is basically to ask questions, debate and discuss th intricacies of religion and dissect it down the core, that generally is what helps uncover truth. I won't try and even pretend thats what all atheists do or even a large part and there are of course a fair amount of comments where atheists direct their anger at religion towards the people instead of the dogma, but you know as well as I do that this isn't exactly one sided.
      Personally I think there is some productivity on this board in regards to fleshing out arguments from people and occasinally changing their minds (which I have done and have changed my own opinion after being convinced).

December 15, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
    • Primewonk

" you guys are just the smartest and most brilliant people alive. "

If you did the research, you would know that atheists IQ scores average 5.89 points higher than fundamentalists. (Per the National longitudinal Study of Youth)

December 15, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • Nonimus

@Dr, Wachowski,
      Are you complaining about Atheists because they're not very nice or because they are right?

December 15, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • Clayton

I think he's trying to insult us, but since we only share a lack of belief in his "god" his insults look rather empty and contrived.

December 15, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
  4. JT

God aborts more fetuses in one day than all the clinics and doctors do in one day.

December 15, 2011 at 1:04 pm |
    • JT

Should read "one year".

December 15, 2011 at 1:05 pm |
  5. Roger

It is funny on how all these "good" christians raise hell to make sure all these babies are born and do NOTHING to help all the already born and unwanted kids who are abused, assaulted and often killed!! First help all these unwanted children and THEN start worrying about bringing more into this world!

December 15, 2011 at 1:01 pm |
    • noel

I guess i am missing the point, what is the argument for an abortion? (condoms are given away for free). Irresponsibility can never be an excuse for murder.

December 15, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
    • sockpuppet

Ok let me try this again since I was censored. That argument has never made sense. You are saying that unless someone actively works on an issue, they are not allowed to oppose it. So for instance, if you are against R a pe, then you better be working in a r a pe counseling center. If you aren't, then you better support r a pe. It just doesn't follow.

December 15, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  6. Ungodly Discipline

Is it too late to abort HeavenSent?

December 15, 2011 at 12:47 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

Is there a state where abortion is legal at the 200th tri-mester?

December 15, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
  7. Ungodly Discipline

The Bible says, "You saw me before I was born and scheduled each day of my life before I began to breath. Every day was recorded in your book!" [Psalm 139:16]

Regardless of the circ umstances of your birth or who your parents are, God had a plan in creating you.

Under this view of the universe, God plans everything.

He planned the days of your life in advance, choosing the exact time of your birth and death."

What this means is that God has pre-planned every abortion that has taken place on our planet.

Why are Christians not following God's will? There can be no free will under these conditions.

December 15, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
    • Primewonk

It's even worse than that. Up to 50% of all pregnancies end in spontaneous abortion (miscarriage). Yet, like you said, god knows all. Thus he is responsible for the abortion of billions of babies.

December 15, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
    • Immortal

Fool, the soul is immortal. The body comes and goes but the soul remains. You can't destroy what God made. Equating a person with a physical body is insane for it has impermanence and that is not what is.

December 15, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  8. Ryan T.

Thank God Christ was absolutely NOTHING like these so called "Right wing Southern Baptists." So wrapped up in politics, religion, and ritual that most of them probably have zero clue who Christ is!!!

December 15, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
    • Timothy

Are you trying to thank God for being God and making us...well...not Gods? Attempting to be like Jesus (very few actually attempt that- the old bell shaped curve thingy) does not make us like Jesus. If that were possible, why pray for his forgiveness. Beside that, people are people. Give them a break. I have yet to read a post where someone has risen above their personhood and risen above their emotions, prejudices, bigotry and human condition. And let's face it, for anyone, like Jesus or not, who had anything worthwhile to do, would we be here. Oooops...self reminder to do something better with my life. Bye Bye.

December 15, 2011 at 12:51 pm |
    • Timothy

Oh...before I leave- post script: I find I am never a better person for having read and responding to anything in this kind of forum and then I shake my head and wonder what good comes of this anyway. I guess it allows us the placebo affect of importance. Reality is we simply perpetuate what we claim we dislike in others. So, have a good day...seriously. If you do, at least my time would have had some positive affect. I don't ask you to change or think differntly...just have a good day.

December 15, 2011 at 12:56 pm |
  9. Linann

Love Jesus, his people..................not so much.

December 15, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
    • concerned

if you love Jesus you will love his people as he ask

December 15, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • nrog

I love a 2000 year old corpse. But only if he helps my football team win.

December 15, 2011 at 7:14 pm |
    • Clayton

Love the idea of a super-naturally powerful human, but it turns out the guy is just a dead religious nut who apparently suffered from several personality disorders and such. He speaks to no one because he is dead and only exists in the past if he ever existed at all. History distorts. People are easily deluded. Humans make things up. Gods do not exist.

December 15, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
  10. HeavenSent

I wanted to have kids but I couldn't find another porcene creature to partner with me.

Amen.

December 15, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
  11. GuestColin

Mythological sky creatures strike again.

December 15, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
    • Liz

lol

December 15, 2011 at 7:11 pm |
  12. don'tknowathing

inb4 RELIGIN IS EVIL11!....

oh, wait, nevermind. Darn, you people are quick. You must really, really, REALLY care about taking a crack at Christians.

December 15, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
  13. Hypatia

Yeah, that's an Xian for you: pretend-full of 'peace and love' but really only beating it's own sick drum. Ghandi was so right: "I like your Christ. He's so different from your Christians."

December 15, 2011 at 11:59 am |
  14. alf564

They never stop except when it comes to donating money for the UNWANTED children.....then our elected reps and the right to life public keep their hands in their pockets....talk the talk but NEVER walk the walk !!!!

December 15, 2011 at 11:49 am |
  15. Landed

Will all you so called spiritual people please just go away and leave us real humans alone. I hate religion!

December 15, 2011 at 11:42 am |
    • Jeff

We're not going any where.. 🙂

December 15, 2011 at 11:57 am |
    • Hypatia

They're like rabid dogs: you can't show fear or weakness and it's usually a good idea to be armed around them.

December 15, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
    • Jacob

Wow, if you hate religion, why dont you go get off this planet because approximatley 3/4 of this world is religious...just saying.

December 15, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
    • Monica

I don't know why you even read these articles if you are against religion. I don't go to athiest articles and talk about how bad you people are for not believing. I think you could show the same respect. I'm not forcing my religion down anyone's throat but you athiests feel that you have a right to put us down every chance you get. Your rehtoric just shows me who the better people are.

December 15, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
    • kuba

Just because 3/4 of the world is religious doesnt make it right. Tis always how religious people think theres more of us therefore we are right and any non believer is wrong??? Wake up people religion is old fashioned welcome to the real world!

December 15, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
    • kuba

Reply:Monica
      Umm so then you shouldn't display you beliefs in public an article is free to be commnted by anyone anyware don't tell me where i can post my opinion, I don't believe in religion of any sort how ever that does not make me an athiest. An athiest is someone who has no beliefs what so ever, why must one be forced to believe in an religion stated by man, perhaps I have my own set of beliefs that I follow under my own standards thus concluding im not an athiest. I simply chose not to believe in what everyone else does.

December 15, 2011 at 12:25 pm |
    • Timothy

@ kuba: An athiest is someone who has no beliefs what so ever'. Is that possible? Hate to break the newsline to you but using religion as a tool for spiritual growth is not so different than using it for hatred. People are people no matter what tool they use for what purpose. To blame the tool for how some people use it is...well...simplsitic and without honest thought. With that said...based upon the arguments I read I would beluieve that the best way for me, as a religious person, to protect my child is to allow him/her to be killed so as to protect my ....what????...in you mind. Purity? We reside in the same bowl my fellow non-religious choosing person and I am not better nor are you...we are both doing what we see is important to us. Get's rough when we attempt to follow mans laws for how we should live. Gods too ...but we all believe something.

December 15, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • Francie

@kuba – actually that would make you an atheist...

December 15, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
    • Francie

@Timothy- Allow him/her to be killed?? Seriously?! No one is trying to make a decision about your children, we deserve the right to make the choice for ourselves. This is the problem, people need to stop worrying about what other people are doing and worry about themselves! Have 20 kids if you like, but I should have the right to decide what happens to my body, and when.

December 15, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
    • Erianna

@ FRANCIE- Actually that does not make you an Atheist. Kuda never stated he believes in nothing. He/she said that they could have their own beliefs that they follow rather than beliefs from Organized relgion or completely in line with the Bible. Not being A Christian does not make you an Atheist, it makes you NOT a Christian. I do not consider myself a Christian as I do not take the Bible as literal fact or the direct word of God. I take it as a man written book full of life lessons that can help certain people in times of need in their life if they choose. I believe 100% in a creator, just not the Creator that is portrayed in the Bible. This does not make me an Atheist. If anything it makes me a Agnostic Beliver. Christians do not get to be the only "Believers" cause you believe the Bible as 100% fact and true. There are millions of "Believers" in this world who just happen to believe in a different God/ Creator.

December 15, 2011 at 1:04 pm |
    • Francie

@Erianna- actually she said she believes in no form of religion. Atheism means without theological beliefs, exactly what she said.

December 15, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
    • Jacob

Secular Buddhists like myself will oneday be superior to everyone because of our values.

December 16, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
  16. Sue

Women of the world, let's take back our reproductive freedom. Join with me in opposing awful religions such as evangelical Christianity, along with backward, oppressive government regimes, that claim control of our wombs.

December 15, 2011 at 11:20 am |
    • alf564

You go girl !!!

December 15, 2011 at 11:50 am |
    • SPA Knight

your womb should be the safest place in the world for innocent life and instead of a battleground for your selfishness. Productive freedom is freedom to produce life, not destroy it.

December 15, 2011 at 11:54 am |
    • fred

Sue
      To Womb are you referring? Sue how about a little truth for the Holidays. I tried to get two of the Planned Parenthood offices in our area to provide information on adoption and financial aid for mothers. They always toss the information in the trash and never present it. I was shocked when a young woman came to me for help with an abortion. This was when I discovered Planned Parenthood trashed the information available to those that need financial assistance and or adoption planning for pregnancy.
      Until such a time as Planned Parenthood can demonstrate they provide women with choice, not their own personal liberal agenda, I will remain opposed to them. I docu-mented their sales pitch for abortion that never once talked about a positive alternative to abortion. The last baby I saved from the Planned Parenthood dogma is now 2 and half years old and mom still sends me pictures. The father lives with them and they are doing fine. We continue to fund support programs for expectant mothers.
      Suggest you stop your local Planned Parenthood tell them you are poor, pregnant and single. See if show you the positive options available. Now, I know you will have a problem with the fact most of the homes that take in poor pregnant mothers that have no place to go are Christian based but, there is not much I can do about that.
      Your womb deserves to hear all options so it can make logical decision.

December 15, 2011 at 11:55 am |
    • Jeff

Awful religions such as Evangelical Christianity? Wow.. you hate God or something?

December 15, 2011 at 11:57 am |
    • Jeff

Oh.. and how can it be so awful if it saves the unborn children? You know, another country has a similar policy.. China.. only they kill after they've been born. Either way, for you to deprive an unborn child, who will undoubtedly be born.. is the ultimate in selfishness. It's only Awful Christianity because we're almost the only ones left standing up for the defenseless unborn. Besides all of that. Statistically speaking, 97% of all abortions were because the baby was unwanted or the birth control failed.. Only 3% because of health issues. You can go ahead and look it up if you must..

December 15, 2011 at 12:01 pm |
    • Chuckles

@fred

First, abortions are a small portion of what planned parenthood does. They also provide the information that you believe they trash. My guess, and this is after a fair amount of back and forth between you and I, the information you provided was most likely heavily religious and laced with your heavy bias that planned parenthood doesn't stand for. Secondly, if women want information on adoption, they should go to an adoption agency instead of planned parenthood.

December 15, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
    • Chuckles

@Jeff

First, you're ignoring the amount of abortions performed because it was either conceived by ra.pe or incest, there are also procedures performed because it is threatening the mothers life. Is the mother's life less improtant the unborn child? Who are you to make that choice?

As for the people who get the procedure because they don't use brith control of fail to use it and would otherwise give up the child or worse, abandon it on the street. You and the rest of your pro-life cronies should pur your money where your mouth is and take in every child that is in a foster home, on the street or generally needs help, or are you too much of a coward?

December 15, 2011 at 12:08 pm |
    • HeavenSent

I suspect Sue is really a Sam. I can't believe a woman is that arrogant to write such drivel.

Amen.

December 15, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
    • kuba

Oh really arrogant is she well who are you judge. And Jeff i asume its proper to let a child suffer its entire life at the hands of unfit parents. Either moraly or financialy its not right to let a child suffer a lifetime better off to have an abortion. And don't even think about calling it muder ever step you take on this earth you may kill an ant or insect, but no matter what you you will kill bacteria and microbes whom are just as alive as you and I.

December 15, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
    • David Johnson

@SPA Knight

Abortion is an important part of the family planning toolbox.

If abortion is illegal, women will seek back alley remedies.

We, as a society, must take away as many of the reasons women seek abortions as possible.
      We need to make adoption easier and make it financially possible for a woman to keep and care for her baby.

Obama has a program to do this. More needs to be done, but with the Republicans controlling the House, funds won't be forthcoming. But, there may be money appropriated, to force women to carry a child conceived by ra_pe or incest to term. If the product of incest is born with webbed feet...well, it is all part of god's great plan. Like babies born without brains...

Most of all, we need to make birth control available free of charge, to all women. The health care bill passed in 2010 (Obamacare) does this. We need to educate the women on these birth control methods. Remember, the best way to prevent an abortion, is to prevent unwanted pregnancies.

Psalm 127:3 – Children are a gift of the LORD

Hmm... Well, the bible says it, so I believe it. Children are god's gift!

Notice how god doesn't check to see if a woman is capable of raising a child, before he gives a baby to them?

Women in p_oor countries bear children, only to have them die, because Mom has no food.

Women addicted to drugs are given babies, when they are totally incapable of taking care of themselves, much less a child.

Girls who are babies themselves, are blessed with a baby they don't want. Why are babies given to women who don't want them?

If god would be more careful with giving out gifts/babies, abortion wouldn't be needed.

The Christian god is said to be all knowing (Omniscient). If this is true, then god would know the gift (a child), that He is giving, will die.

And remember, there are a lot of women, who god refuses His gift. They would be overjoyed with god's gift. No abortions in their homes!

God works in mysterious ways. It's almost as if He doesn't exist... I guess He is just really, really hidden.

We should start real $ex education in school. Not abstinence only. Real education about the use of birth control. The Religious Right wants only abstinence taught. But then again, the Religious Right wants the kids to learn about talking snakes and trees that impart knowledge and eternal life. *sigh*

We will never totally eradicate abortions. Only a god could do that, and he either does not care, or does not exist.

Cheers!

December 15, 2011 at 12:56 pm |
    • Erianna

LOL- YOu gotta love how JEFF says "What do you hate God or something?" since you do not care for Evangalical Christians!! News Flash JEFF No one likes Evangelicals except Evangelicals.... They are judgmental, holier than thou, condeming, Hypocritcal, Religion forcing Tyrants. You made that clear in your statement about hating God. You and People like you do not get to speak for God or force his will. Just because someone thinks different than you does not mean they are against God. You are an exact reason why Evangelicals have a bad rap. Let everyone live and excercise their free will that God gave them.... or you will be the one who is judged.

December 15, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
    • fred

Chuckles
      You are correct my data base is bias. I only know about the young pregnant women we help. Planned Parenthood did not direct them to our homes or support services, they came from refrences by local churches. Their stories were all the same Planned Parenthood offered no positive encourangement towards keeping a child for a poor, single, young woman.

Now you show your bias picking a 3% figure which is actually not reflective of expenditures but the number of clients that received only abortion services.

December 15, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • Chuckles

@Fred

Well can you really blame the branches of planned parenthood for not touting your beliefs when it's most likely contrary to theirs? On top of that, I bring up all the other reasons why a woman would want an abortion because a law banning all abortion would include them as well. My point still stands though, if a woman wants information on adoption, she should go to an adoption agency and get set up with parents who are approved and want the child. Planned Parenthood doesn't provide those services nor has it ever been the mission to do so. Would you get angry at a manufacturer for not providing you with information to the top three best stores to buy tshirts?

December 15, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
    • OhPlz...

"I tried to get two of the Planned Parenthood offices in our area to provide information on adoption and financial aid for mothers. They always toss the information in the trash and never present it. I was shocked when a young woman came to me for help with an abortion. This was when I discovered Planned Parenthood trashed the information available to those that need financial assistance and or adoption planning for pregnancy."

What a load of crap, that is why there are so many children waiting to be adopted. The problem with Christians you can spew your nonsense but so many of you never actually follow through and adopt children. When abortion was illegal, the crime rate went up because so many women were having unwanted children. Those children were often neglected and grew up in unstable homes. You can spew your nonsense all you want but until Christianity has a plan for all the unwanted children that will be born and be responsible for them until they are 18 then you need to just shut up.

December 15, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • fred

Chuckles
      Let us blast the earth with a solar flare and extinguish all matter on earth. You had no past, no present and have no future. You never existed yet you want to claim somehow that you did exist. Unless there is something previously unknown to you outside of your known world that was or becomes aware of life on earth you did not exist. This is what you want me to believe yes?
      These young, poor, single, pregnant women got this way for a reason or several reasons. Generally speaking Planned Parenthood is all they and their friends know about if pregnancy is considered a problem for them. They are not given a choice and are directed to Planned Parenthood by social services and non fundamental Christian public school teachers.
      Yes the political liberal indoctrination programs are working well.

December 15, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • fred

Chuckles
      wow, two windows just merged or my left hand does not know what the right hand is doing ! Ignore the first paragraph.

December 15, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • Chuckles

@fred

Didn't we JUST go over this on the other thread. A solar flare wouldn't kill anything except my precious iphone. And it's not something to be debated or believed, it's fact that if the earth was wiped out tomorrow than the whole existance of every single living cell on earth from 1 billion years ago or now would have no effect on the universe at large. Then again, in our current status we still have about 0% effect on the universe give or take 0%. I don't understand why think this can be debated.

Now for the topic at hand, do you really thing that every girl with an unwanted pregancy is an idiot and doesn't understand the difference between planned parenthood and an adoption agency? Really fred? On top of that I understand you have a tough time not generalizing, but your experience with planned parenthood is not only bias, but also does not mean it's exactly the same at every other branch of planned parenthood across the US.

fred, the only indoctrinazation going on here is your church telling you disinformation for you to spread to others.

December 15, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • fred

OhPiz...
      Any idea of how many people adopt children from other countries because there is a two year wait list to adopt a child? We have foster families at our church and young babies only remain 2-9 weeks before being placed in permanet homes. The disfigured and unwanted for health reasons stay longer. A bigger problem is legal tangles between the state and biological parents which ties kids up.

December 15, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • fred

Charles
      The other thread is still awaiting your answer.
      I do not get this information from my church. I talk with these young girls and work with them so it is first hand information. I agree my sample base is limited and bias to begin with. Perhaps I should work with a different area of town.

December 15, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
    • Chuckles

@fred

Charles?..... oh Chuckles...Chuckie...Chuck....Charles, got it. Yeah, my name is not Charles.

Maybe you should learn about what planned parenthood is really all about instead of just your bias opinion that was hand fed to you by the right wing propaganda machine.

December 15, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
    • noel

Why don't you claim control over a condom first, it might do the trick, just sayin.

December 15, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
    • sockpuppet

I love how people get to decide that since a kid might have a bad childhood, they should just die. Do you really think most people wish they were aborted rather than raised by unfit parents? I for one, do not. I had a hellish childhood, and made it through the other side. In fact my parents aborted the baby right before me, so I could easily have joined that baby. But they didn't. Well guess what I am happily married now raising 2 great kids, NOT making the same mistakes my parents did. AND my mother lives in agony to this day over the abortion she did have. YOU all want to claim the rights of the mother, and have no concern for the rights of the child. You are sick and wrong. Don't wish me dead just because my parents were stupid and didn't use birth control, or the millions of other innocent children.

December 15, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
  17. JAy.

As a committed Christian, a pro-life supporter, and the member of a family which has experienced multiple cases of breast cancer, I find the actions by LifeWay disturbing. Let's see what they have accomplished:
    1) By removing a Bible which carries the name of the largest breast cancer fundraising group in the country, they have lost the opportunity to attract people who might not have otherwise purchased, read, or studied a Bible.
    2) By working in conjunction with and then speaking against the largest breast cancer fundraising group in the country, they have turned off many people, potentially causing them to look negatively at LifeWay, the SBC, and Christianity in general.
    3) Some people will read this as LifeWay valuing the life of an unborn child more than the life of a woman, since they are reducing support for cancer education, screening, and treatment due to a non-financial connection with a family planning group.
    4) They look like a bunch of idiots.

Makes me want to go send a couple dollars to the Komen society just to spite LifeWay!

December 15, 2011 at 11:15 am |
    • SPA Knight

Jay,
      perhaps the publisher's actions as a Christians Organization is motivated because they don't want to support organizations that conduct abortions. I don't see their actions as opposing the good work by those who support cancer research and treatment for women. They can contribute to them directly and by-pass the funneling of funds to Planned Parenthood. As a committed pro-lifer, would you want to make a donation to say the Cancer Society and find out that some of the money was being used to destroy life?

December 15, 2011 at 11:49 am |
    • Francie

Well said. As a Christian but also a pro-choice supporter I feel that in the course of doing what they think is right, they really are just in the long run doing the opposite of what their mission should be. People need to stop looking around looking for other people to judge, until you have walked in someone else's shoes, and been in that situation, you have no right to pass judgement or try to prohibit someone else from being in control of their own life. Women should not be forced to carry children against their will, how many starving and abused children would be wandering the streets? People just need to worry about themselves, and don't worry about what Ms. Sally Doe is doing at her doctors appointment.

December 15, 2011 at 12:09 pm |
    • Primewonk

@SPA Knight – The Susan G. Moment foundation does not provide abortions.

December 15, 2011 at 1:05 pm |
    • David Johnson

@JAy.

Why do Christians spend any money on medical care? You have the promise of god:

Mark 11:24: Jesus speaking
      Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

John 14:14: Jesus speaking
      If you ask anything in my name, I will do it.

Mark 16: Jesus speaking
      16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18 they will pick up serpents, and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover.

James 5:15:
      And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up.
      Believers babble on about faith and belief and how the bible is the inerrant word of god.
      Yet, most ignore His word, and buy health insurance and seek the knowledge of man.
      They are tweaking the nose of god!

Some, have actually believed what the bible tells them. They prayed for their child, trusting in the word of god, and withheld medical care. The child died. OOOooopsie!
      Not to fret! This was part of god's plan for the young'in.? Just like babies that are born without a brain. God planned it that way.

A true believer would never set foot in a doctor's office!

But, they do. They seek medical care, because they don't believe the promises of god. They know, that in the real world, prayer rarely works (exception: coincidence / random chance).

Believers attempt to smooth this over by saying a little prayer, receiving medical treatment and then giving the credit to their god, if they get well... Hmm...

The bible says: " Sick people are oppressed by the devil. Acts 10:38
      If this is true, then how can medical care be effective? A shot of penicillin would have no effect on demonic oppression. LOL
      The Christian bible is not good enough to line a bird's cage.

Christians do not believe in Christianity because it is true. To them Christianity is true because they believe it.

IF YOU CAN'T COUNT ON JESUS TO KEEP HIS PROMISES IN THIS LIFE, HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY BELIEVE HIM ABOUT AN AFTERLIFE?

Cheers!

December 15, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
  18. tallulah13

I'm wondering how much profit this "christian publisher" is pulling from reprinting public domain material. I'm sure a lot more than that dollar they will no longer be giving to the Komen Foundation. Speaking of dollars, you can get a bible at the dollar store. Then, if you want to give to the Komen Foundation (or any other charity) you don't need a middle man.

By the way, I applaud the Komen Foundation for their determination to help people without the constraints outside sources would put on them. This is true charity.

December 15, 2011 at 11:15 am |
  19. hippypoet

this is funny, they same people that would make the bible taught in schools rejoices as its taken off the shelves because of where the money from the purchase of said book might end up! talk about priorities!!! short sighted much! perhaps even blind to what the real issue they seem to have is!!! not that i am complaining, i have no issue with that book not being on the shelf its just how it ends up being taken off is rather odd is all!

December 15, 2011 at 9:09 am |
    • HeavenSent

The real issue pertaining to birth control is for the boys in this country to learn what it is to be a man which means handling all responsibilities in their life. Until then. Learn respect along with restraint from Jesus. If you refuse this idea ... then just keep your pants zipped.

Amen.

December 15, 2011 at 12:30 pm |
    • hippypoet

Heaven... please! Its not BIRTH they wish to control but the freedom of choice. And your retard jesus was most likely gay and therefore plays no role in this topic...unless he adopts!

December 15, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
    • HeavenSent

The real issue pertaining to birth control is for the boys in this country to learn pull out before their rockets explode.

Amen.

December 15, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
    • hippypoet

apparently you missed a very important health cl@ss – GETTING A WOMEN PREGO CAN HAPPEN THE MOMENT YOU ENTER NOT JUST DURING ORGASM!!! is that info found in the bible cause that would be funny!!! the only way to do the deed and not get prego is oral or butt love!

and moving on now!

December 15, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
    • sockpuppet

it is not the Bible they are taking off the shelves, it's a book on breast cancer

December 15, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
  20. Abinadi

With all the negative news and controversy in the world about Christ, you might find it refreshing to check out http://lds.org/bible-videos/?lang=eng. The Church of Jesus Christ has released several short videos about the life of Christ which are very well done and very refreshing. They are free and are a Christmas gift to Christianity.

December 15, 2011 at 9:07 am |
    • David Johnson

@Abinadi

Is this the site that shows all the idiot stories about the Mormon religion?

In spite of all the commercials about Mormonism and the money being spent, Romney is very unlikely to win the nomination. I guess the Mormon god isn't as mighty as the Christian god.

Cheers!