home
RSS
December 21st, 2011

After layoff, finding new meaning in a lower paying job

By Michelle Rozsa, CNN In America

Plainsboro, New Jersey (CNN) “Four days short of my 58th birthday," Carl Fields said, “I received notice I was being laid off. It came as a total shock, honestly.”

The company was reorganizing and his position was being eliminated.

Fields and his wife, Lynette Clark Fields, appeared in CNN’s 2010 documentary “Black in America: Almighty Debt." At the time, he had been unemployed about a year and a half, and was tirelessly hunting for a job.

“I feel that I am going to get a job,” Fields said last year while as he stood over a table piled high with applications to work as an account manager, administrative assistant, warehouse clerk, truck driver. Back then, he estimated he had applied for more than 300 job since his insurance company position was eliminated. He spent long days at the library, pouring over employment websites.

Fields is a devout Christian and he remained positive about his job search – and his future – because of his unwavering belief in God.

“I know he's already planned it,” Fields said in 2010. “And I know that he's bringing it into existence for me. I know that. I trust that."

Read the full update on Carl's story here from CNN's In America Blog.
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Content Partner

1. aaron praca

Loosing a job is a terrifying experience. Self-esteem goes so low it is imposible to compose ourselves infront of others. But there is help! Similar tips are here: http://a.md/BhS

December 27, 2011 at 4:40 am |
  2. Doc Vestibule

God grants a new job.
    Hooray! Praise God! He is Light and Love and Hope and The Way and The Light and Rainbows and Kittens and nothing but goodness! God is Love!!! It says so right here on teh label! Prayer Works! Hallelujah!

God gets you fired.
    He works in mysterious ways. Don't ask questions, just fill teh collection plate.

December 21, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • captain america

Just try to find meaning in canadian bull sh it. There's your sign

December 21, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
    • DamianKnight

Are we really attacking Canada again? Were you like mauled by Canadian Geese as a child and so therefore have some unending ire for the entire nation?

December 21, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
    • Clayton

It's because Canada supports gay rights and limited abortions and stuff like that. "captain america" is a psychotic old woman. You can see her picture if you go back a ways and find the link. I've forgotten which page its on. She's batshlt crazy about hating Canada. Nobody else seems to be such a strong Canada-hater as her, so i am assuming she is c.a.

December 21, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
    • ...............

Click report abuse on herbie's witless Canadian posts which weren't funny the first time, let alone the thousandth.

December 21, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
    • onehippypoet

tom tom the pipers son
      stole a pig and
      wait a minute
      that is not a pig
      that is someone else' name

December 21, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Gee, you really have a thing for me, don't you? Sorry, I'm married, dear. Maybe you should try a mail-order 'bride'.

December 21, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
    • Alfred E Neuman

I have heard of gay marriage never knew of anyone before now.

December 22, 2011 at 7:23 am |
  3. Ungodly Discipline

Louisa Ferre
    Do you believe in the Big Bang theory?

December 21, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
    • Louisa Ferre

December 21, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Why?

December 21, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
    • Louisa Ferre

I just can’t see how the universe can expand from 0 maybe a Yocto or less but the idea of 0 expanding is ridicules no matter how much you expand 1 will never be ∞ and no matter how much you decrees 1 will never be 0 try it
      1×2=2×2=4×2=8×2=16
      1x ½ =.5x ½=.25x ½= .125x ½=.0625
      Now try and reach ∞ or 0…I’ll wait
      0x2=0x2=0x2=0
      ∞ ½= ∞ ½ =∞ ½

Nothing cannot become something and something cannot become everything and contrariwise

December 21, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
    • Louisa Ferre

I’ll show you what I mean by contrariwise

0x ½=0x ½=0x ½=0
      ∞x 2=∞x 2=∞x 2=∞

Basic fu.cking high school math kills the big bang

December 21, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Louisa
      I will assume you know the theory so I won't bore you with that, But keep in mind that there was no "space" no "math" no "physics" to describe the Big Bang before the Big Bang, so your argument in my mind does not hold up.

Is it possible that there wasn't a Big Bang? Yes. But based on what we know, it seems unlikely though. Admittedly it is difficult to imagine that rapid of an expansion, but also keep in mind that space was empty, in other words, there were no elements yet.

Additionally, if the Big Bang took place INSIDE a black hole, well, no one ever has or ever will be able to peer into a singularity in space. But it seems to me that there must be something on the other side. And that other thing could have caused the Big Bang.

December 21, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Louisa
      I knocked out a little poem for ya on the LDS page (David ARchuleta)

December 21, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
    • Clayton

Ungodly could you please refrain from talking about the Big Bang? Your lack of physics knowledge is painful to read.

December 21, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
    • Louisa Ferre

So if there was no space then how did space expand black hole exist in space then there must have been space in order for it to expand dude you just throughout a paradox, it utterly ridicules go take a trig class and a physics class. And do try adding space into out nothing although you can make
      0+1=1 that only proves intelligent design which is equally ridicules

December 21, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

@Clayton
      No. And you are incorrect. If you want to correct me, I am totally open to that. But insults will be ignored.

@Louisa Ferre
      A singularity IS a paradox. If there was no radiation emanating from the “so called” black hole, can you say it existed?

Perhaps on the OTHER side of the black hole. Which would not occupy any space on “our” side, but in which the Big Bang could occur thus creating space on our side. These are just my “thought experiments” as Al would call them.

The Big Bang Theory is most likely true because:

First, and most obvious, the universe is expanding.

Second, the theory predicts that 25 percent of the total mass of the universe should be the helium that formed during the first few minutes, an amount that agrees with observations.

Finally, and most convincing, is the presence of the cosmic background radiation. The big-bang theory predicted this remnant radiation, which now glows at a temperature just 3 degrees above absolute zero.

December 21, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

One other thing, I am making the assumption that you both know that "math" and "science" are two very different animals. To prove a theory scientifically, one needs empirical evidence. Physics is so strange because so much of it can’t (or probably can’t) ever be observed. There are many formulas calculating the existence the Big Bang. So that doesn't help much. But we do have quite a bit of observable evidence.

The famous joke about a bunch of scientists observing a cow from a train:

Look says the astronomer – all cows in America are black
      No says the physicist – there are SOME black cows in America.
      Then the mathematician says – there exists at least one cow which is black on one side.

(And finally the computer scientist says – look at the moo-moos!)

December 21, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
    • Louisa Ferre

First, and most obvious, the universe is expanding.

all this can exist without the Bing Bang with new matter being created in the universe all the time this can lead to the illusion of expansion. But you don’t need that to know that the math does not add up, and if the math is not there to support your theory it falls apart. Now can we please move on to something more important like fusion this hole big bang thing is ridicules, maybe even more so than the multiverse theory,(quantum physics= biggest joke in modern science)
      T= √(2d/g)
      Physics supported by math equals truth

December 21, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
    • Clayton

UD, to say there was a black hole that the Big Bang came out of is just the worst thing I've seen all day. And might I add that, in addition to misunderstanding the whole "singularity" thing, you appear to think that a singularity has any scientific support when in fact it does not. It is a concept of convenience at the moment to sidestep our lack of knowledge about the dimensional aspects of our continuum and the energy density limits within same.
      See? No insults. I save those for when you are arguing from ignorance...as you tend to do quite often.

December 21, 2011 at 7:14 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

@Louisa Ferre

“All this can exist without the Bing Bang with new matter being created in the universe all the time this can lead to the illusion of expansion.”

Louisa, what physics lab do you work for? When did you write your thesis debunking Steven Hawking’s findings, or Hubble’s for that matter? My money is on the smart guys. I am not a mathematician or Physicist. Are you? If so, publish. If not, I will go with what I have. I think you are fairly smart with a REALLY big head and should tone it down a notch.

@Clayton
      “UD, to say there was a black hole that the Big Bang came out of is just the worst thing I've seen all day”.

Why?

It is plausible, even possible. You seem to think I am ignorant but I am starting to think you just enjoy “trying” to be smarter than other people, rather than actually having a conversation. I ask you the same questions I asked above. When did you write your thesis debunking Steven Hawking’s findings, or Hubble’s for that matter? My money is on the smart guys. I am not a mathematician or a Physicist (clearly). Are you? If so, publish. If not, I will go with what I have. I think you are fairly smart with a REALLY big head and should tone it down a notch.

Neither of you have the slightest idea where the universe came from or where it will end up. You don’t understand time and space. You don’t know the universe will expand forever or collapse in on itself. And you certainly don’t know if there was a black hole at the beginning of the whole thing. Or if this event re-occurs over and over again.

For the record, I know exactly what a singularity is and it is something that dense (or that bizarre) that makes and excellent candidate for burst of rapid expansion, given the energy source required. You two are just as naive as me, at least I can admit it.

December 21, 2011 at 7:38 pm |
    • Clayton

Ungodly Discipline, when postulating a multi-brane event there is no reason to assume a previous event-continuum if the event causes a continuum in the first place....so no previous continuum would necessarily be needed to provide a backdrop to anything like a black hole which requires a previously existing continuum.
      I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just saying there isn't much need for one and so assuming one existed would be premature at this point.
      So no "black hole" is likely. In addition, the expansion rate would have had to be much faster than the gradient around the black hole for the hole to exist and even faster than that if the universe was supposed to expand out of the hole as well.
      The whole universe being inside a black hole is charming, but it looks pretty unworkable to me. It would require the separation of our continuum with the pre-existing continuum outside the hole, yet all we need is a fifth dimension to fulfill the need for an "empty space" as it were. No pre-existing continuum is needed, but it's not like we have the science down on that stuff yet anyway.
      As to a singular point of space-time containing all the energy from which the Big Bang expands I can only say that it does not make sense from either a dimensional aspect, a brane aspect, an energy aspect, or a gravitational aspect to name a few of my objections to it. My views of the Big Bang theories is that once it gets to a certain point, most physicists seem to just throw up their hands and say "singularity" as if a single point, infinitely small, was how it all began, yet these same scientists admit that once they reach a certain density, their equations break down and do not give good results.
      And here I am arguing from their ignorance as a basis for my rough guesses. I can only say that the irony does not escape my notice, but we are not talking about supernatural sky fairies here. There are some things that are too unworkable in terms of the dimensional topology of any event like the Big Bang to allow such things as "black holes" to be a part of it. But hey I could be wrong. I'm just saying it doesn't look like I'm wrong. This isn't set in stone tablets written with the finger of some vicious idiot in the sky. But the black holes really bug me. It requires a similar continuum to start with and expanding this continuum into that one. Not my cup of tea, to say the least.

December 21, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

See, that wasn't so hard, even if I am a tard!

December 21, 2011 at 8:59 pm |
    • Clayton

Yes, you are very good at trolling. I agree.

December 21, 2011 at 9:12 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Why so rude? I enjoyed your response and then you call me a troll. Sorry for making you actually have to back up your rhetoric.

December 21, 2011 at 9:18 pm |
    • Clayton

Sorry, I thought you were congratulating yourself on being a troll.
      So now that I've backed up my "rhetoric" will you stop talking about black holes and singularities as something that is already decided in the scientific community? Because they aren't. You talk like you're still stuck in the 80s with the classical theories of that ancient era. There are also more than one type of singularity, more than one type of black hole, more than one Big Bang theory, and none of them are solid science. We are still chewing on stuff like the Higgs boson, QED, probability vectors, the rate of expansion, etc. In fact there's so much new stuff that I wonder if anyone is able to keep up with it anymore. You're not a tard, but if you want to call yourself that I'll help anyway I can. 😀

December 21, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

I don't know what you do for a living but it sounds like you keep up with this more than I can. I do see your points. I think we can agree the universe is weird.

December 22, 2011 at 3:42 am |
  4. Ungodly Discipline

December 21, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Ungodly Discipline

You said: "So this clown doesn't blame God for losing his job, but will praise God for finding him a lower paying job after his bills have stacked up and he goes into bankruptsy and has his home forclosed on. Thanks God."

Hmm... Ever read Job? Job loved god. God made A BET with Satan that no matter what was done to Job, Job would not turn against god. "All of Job's possessions are destroyed; the 500 yoke of oxen and 500 donkeys carried off by Sabeans, the 7000 sheep were burned up by 'The fire of God which fell from the sky,' the 3000 camels were stolen by the Chaldeans and the house of the firstborn collapsed, due to a mighty wind, killing all of Job's offspring, but Job does not curse God but instead shaves his head, tears his clothes and says, "Naked I came out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return: Lord has given, and Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of Lord." – Wikipedia.

God wins the bet, gives Job new children (evidently life doesn't mean a lot to god) and increased wealth.

God works in mysterious ways. It is good to be loved by god...

Cheers!

December 21, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Like I said:
      So this clown doesn't blame God for losing his job, but will praise God for finding him a lower paying job after his bills have stacked up and he goes into bankruptsy and has his home forclosed on. Thanks God!

December 21, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
  5. Clayton

Perhaps he should try religious fraud to make a buck like so many others. I'm sure DamianKnight would approve.

December 21, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • Clayton

I take that back. Damian is not totally clueless like that. Sorry, Damian.

December 21, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
  6. Louisa Ferre

T.ithe definition; give unto the wolf so he may spare your flock for the coming winter

Seriously you can’t afford to t.ithe and you still do,… guess there’s a reason why I make 7 figures and you don’t

December 21, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • Hitch

7 figures? you're not supposed to count the digits after the decimal point you idiot !

December 21, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • Louisa Ferre

oh i didn't know that,...... yep 7 figures

December 21, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
    • Hitch

haha,
      i guess mine is too, $0055000.00

December 21, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
    • Louisa Ferre

2,500,000 yeah we all got 7 figures

December 21, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
    • Curious

"Louisa Ferre" = an obscure anime character? Why do you identify with her?

December 21, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
    • Louisa Ferre

Louisa Ferre = Lucifer
      you know the angel that rebelled against god because God denied love between angels and humans.

December 21, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
    • Curious

Reminds me of a Neil Gaiman story – "Murder Mysteries", but that's love between two angels.

December 21, 2011 at 6:03 pm |