home
RSS
David Archuleta to embark on Mormon mission
American Idol star David Archuleta is embarking on a Mormon mission.
December 21st, 2011

David Archuleta to embark on Mormon mission

By Lindsey Hunter Lopez, Special to CNN

(CNN) - Fresh-faced “American Idol” star David Archuleta is putting his promising career aside for a higher calling.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Archuleta – or Archie, as he’s known to fans – has announced that he’s embarking on a Mormon mission.

The 20-year-old Utah native shared his news at the Salt Lake City stop of his My Kind of Christmas Tour. “I would like to make a special announcement: That I’ve chosen to serve a full-time mission,” he told the audience.

“It’s not because someone told me I was supposed to do it and not because I no longer want to do music anymore,” the “Idol” season 7 runner-up explained to the crowd. “It’s because it’s what I feel I need to do next in my life.”

Read the full story from CNN's The Marquee Blog
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Celebrity • Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

1. dedicated hosting

Hello! Someone in my Myspace group shared this site with us so I came to look it over. I'm definitely enjoying the information. I'm bookmarking and will be tweeting this to my followers! Wonderful blog and great style and design.| dedicated hosting http://www.mwvp.com/index.php/member/6572

August 4, 2013 at 1:01 pm |
  2. Kirbyv Vanderbooml

It is appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I want to suggest you few interesting things or advice. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read even more things about it!

July 8, 2012 at 6:04 am |
  3. ceai verde, green tea, oolong tea, wulong tea, white tea, black tea

Thank you, I have just been looking for info about this subject for a while and yours is the best I have came upon so far. However, what concerning the conclusion? Are you sure about the supply?|What i don't understood is in reality how you're no longer actually a lot more neatly-favored than you might be now. You're so intelligent.

April 7, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
  4. ceai verde, green tea, oolong tea, wulong tea, white tea, black tea

This is really interesting, You're an excessively skilled blogger. I've joined your rss feed and stay up for in the hunt for more of your great post. Additionally, I've shared your site in my social networks

April 4, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
  5. Leah

Wow, this is a really refreshing story. This kid is famous and talented and he is putting that on hold to do what he believes in his heart. Talk about not letting fame get to his head.

I'm so confused by so many comments are mormon bashing and defending but few on the actual STORY. Ok trolls, ever hear of live and let live?

January 19, 2012 at 12:59 am |
    • leeann

You go, girl! (Thanks for the most relevant and intelligence comment on the board!) And yes, this is a refreshing story about a famous teen who has refused to fall into "the world revolves around me" mantra that controls, and sometimes destroys, so many in the entertainment industry. Good for him! (and I'm not really a big David Archuleta fan.)

March 29, 2012 at 2:11 am |
  6. mitchell

This settles it once and for all:

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e48IOdTY3qA&w=640&h=360]

December 29, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  7. Characteristics of a "Cult"

Here are the characteristics of a cult:
    • Small? The Church of Jesus Christ (LDS) has 14 million members in 132
    countries. In America, there are more Mormons than there are Presbyterians or Jews.
    • Excessive devotion? Mormons are devoted to the Savior, but in appropriate measure He would approve of.
    • Unethical techniques? Ask the pie-throwers to name one.
    • Control by isolation? Even if Mormons wanted to, this would be impossible with 14 million members in 28,000 congregations throughout the
    world.
    • Control by threats? Again, evidence? Mormon missionaries may be
    exuberant, but do not threaten.
    • Dependency on the group? The Church of Jesus Christ (LDS) is just the opposite. Mormons want members to be self-reliant and independent so they in turn can help others.
    • Powerful group pressure? Only if that’s the way the critics prefer to define love.
    • Strange? Guilty as charged. Mormons plead guilty to all the strange
    things that were done by Christians in New Testament times that were lost
    during the great falling away in the aptly named Dark Ages, among them temple worship, vicarious baptism for the dead, definition of God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit as separate but united in purpose, salvation requiring both grace and obedience to commandments, prophets and apostles, unpaid clergy, and continual revelation to guide His Church.

December 22, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
  8. claybigsby

Abinadi: before making yourself look even more stupid, i suggest opening up a history book.

December 22, 2011 at 10:47 am |
    • Kev

Which history book? There are various ones to choose from or for that matter various schools of historical thought to choose from.

December 22, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
  9. Abinadi

You accept the historical Jesus?
    – Unquestionably! No one can read the Gospels without feeling the actual presence of Jesus. His personality pulsates in every word. No myth is filled with such life.”
    Albert Einstein, from an interview with the Saturday Evening Post

December 22, 2011 at 9:57 am |
    • MarcTTF

“It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.” Albert Einstein

December 22, 2011 at 10:09 am |
    • MarcTTF

“I received your letter of June 10th. I have never talked to a Jesuit priest in my life and I am astonished by the audacity to tell such lies about me. From the viewpoint of a Jesuit priest I am, of course, and have always been an atheist.” Albert Einstein

December 22, 2011 at 10:10 am |
    • MarcTTF

“To assume the existence of an unperceivable being … does not facilitate understanding the orderliness we find in the perceivable world.” Albert Einstein

December 22, 2011 at 10:11 am |
    • MarcTTF

“The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this. These subtilised interpretations are highly manifold according to their nature and have almost nothing to do with the original text. For me the Jewish religion like all other religions is an incarnation of the most childish superst.itions. And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people. As far as my experience goes, they are also no better than other human groups, although they are protected from the worst cancers by a lack of power. Otherwise I cannot see anything ‘chosen’ about them.” Albert Einstein

December 22, 2011 at 10:12 am |
    • MarcTTF

“I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a will of the kind we experience in ourselves. Neither can I nor would I want to conceive of an individual who survives his physical death.” Albert Einstein

December 22, 2011 at 10:13 am |
    • Abinadi

Yes, Einstein was probably a bad choice. We have to conclude that he was a bit confused – wasn't sure what to think. He lived in Nazi Germany and saw a lot of horrible things. So, touche.

December 22, 2011 at 10:29 am |
    • Abinadi

Never the less, I think my premise was that Einstein was not an atheist. I remember reading a book about Einstein and reading that when he worked out his theory of gravity, he locked himself away for 2 weeks and made no headway for some time. Finally, at the end he felt inspiration and I felt he acknowledged that he had gotten help from beyond. That was my impression.

December 22, 2011 at 10:52 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Then you acknowledge it was your 'impression" and not "fact"? Good. You've taken a step towards reality.

December 22, 2011 at 9:23 pm |
  10. Abinadi

“The impossibility of conceiving that this grand and wondrous universe, with our conscious selves, arose through chance, seems to me the chief argument for
    the existence of God.”
    Charles Darwin- founder of the Theory of Evolution

December 22, 2011 at 9:55 am |
  11. Abinadi

To the Lord, whom I worship and thank,
    That governs the heavens with His eyelid
    To Him I return tired, but full of living.”
    Galileo- founder of experimental physics

December 22, 2011 at 9:54 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

Becuase Galileo had such a wonderful relationship with the Church.
      Public figures HAD to profess their faith, lest they be branded heretics and executed or (as in Galileo's case) exiled.
      If someone tells me to love Jesus or die, I'll pay the Easter Zombie lip-service.
      Kind of like many indiginous people did when the white man came to convert them at musket point and take their land.
      Smallpox blanket, anyone?

December 22, 2011 at 10:13 am |
    • VestigialCraniums

@ Doc..

Ok, but what about the post of Abinadi (@ no. 6, next to this)above? Would you mind to rebut it?

March 29, 2012 at 2:30 am |
  12. Reality

Dear David,

Putting a quick end to your trip before you even start:

The final kibosh on religion to include Mormonism:

• There was probably no Abraham i.e. the foundations of Judaism, Christianity and Islam are non-existent.

• There was probably no Moses i.e the pillars of Judaism, Christianity and Islam have no strength of purpose.

• There was no Easter i.e. Christianity completely fails as a religion.

• There was no Moroni i.e. Mormonism is nothing more than a business cult.

• Fat Buddhas here, skinny Buddhas there, reincarnated Buddhas everywhere makes for a no on Buddhism.

A quick Google, Bing or Yahoo search will put the kibosh on any other groups calling themselves a religion.

e.g. Taoism

December 22, 2011 at 7:46 am |
    • .........

quick end to reality bull sh it hit report abuse on it

December 22, 2011 at 11:01 am |
  13. g

Behold, the wisdom and tolerance of the socialist, Occupy Wallstreet, relect Obama crowd.

December 22, 2011 at 5:06 am |
  14. Abinadi

I've been waiting for your answer. You don't really know how to answer do you? You must be a protestant minister or pastor and maybe the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is taking your congregation away. Why else would you be so hot about all of this except that the Mormons are costing you money? You have found that the Lord's gospel is worth big money haven't you? Did you know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints has no paid ministers? Our ministers are motivated for completely sunselfish reasons – to serve others, a concept that must seem totally alien to you. But, isn't that the way the Lord's church should be? "By their fruits, ye shall know them."

December 21, 2011 at 11:23 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Who are you talking to? Your cult's imaginary sky-daddy god? If so, you shouldn't expect a response.

December 21, 2011 at 11:31 pm |
    • Abinadi

I asked Avdberg a question, Hotair, and he never answered. You know how I feel about atheists. Atheists have never contributed a single thing to mankind. The great scientists, Einstein, Newton, Galileo, even Darwin were men of faith. I can't think of a single thing an atheist has contributed. You atheists are exactly like the Pharisees of Christs time; you go around tooting your own horn and telling us all how wonderfully brilliant you all are. Well, none of us think you have anything worth saying. You worship the devil of whom Isaiah wrote, "16 They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms; 15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit." That is where you are headed, Hotair, unless you speedily repent. Why don't you people go get your own blog, so you can impress each other, because none of us are impressed.

December 22, 2011 at 12:20 am |
    • tallulah13

Abinadi, if you are writing this on a PC, or using a Microsoft product, please thank Bill Gates, atheist.

Besides, Einstein was at best an atheist-leaning agnostic. You are laughable and ignorant. And a liar, since you deny the contributions of atheists. In other words, you are the sort of christian that is far too common: The kind that has nothing in common with Christ.

December 22, 2011 at 12:23 am |
    • Abinadi

I don't deny that atheists have been involved in minor roles of science. They are not original or brilliant, however. Bill Gates didn't make any stunning discoveries. If IBM hadn't used QDOS, they would have used someone else's operating system. Bill Gates just got a lucky break.

December 22, 2011 at 12:40 am |
    • Abinadi

And, Tallulah, you know nothing of Christ, "15 And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers’ money, and overthrew the tables;

16 And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father’s house an house of merchandise."
      He would have driven you out too.

December 22, 2011 at 12:46 am |
    • Joxer the Mighty

@Abinadi While I am definitely not an atheist, I feel you are taking the verse about Jesus using the whip out of context. I believe the whole reason Jesus got upset is because the money changers were supposed to be God fearing Jews, but they were cheating those who came to worship out of their money by charging them way too much. If you study the gospels, and look at the context of the times Jesus talked about hell you will find that Jesus was talking about religious people that made a show of following the rules but there wasn't love in their hearts. Also, you have no right to judge the atheists in this board. God is the only judge and if Paul the Apostle is correct based on Romans 2:14-15, God will judge them based on their conscience.

December 22, 2011 at 5:28 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Abinadi, you contend that atheist scientists are not "original or brilliant". Do you think only those scientists who are religious are "original and brilliant"? If so, cite proof. Religious belief has nothing to do with intellectual prowess or talent or originality.

December 22, 2011 at 6:23 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I also have a quibble with your claim that those religious scientists you think were "brilliant" made discoveries because they were "brilliant" and not because they ALSO "caught a lucky break." Most discoveries and inventions would have come about at some point, regardless.

And who's "none of us"? Were you elected to speak for everyone?

Also, you say you can't think of any atheist who's made a significant contribution to the world. So? I can't think of a single Mormon who has, either. I'm sure you'll come back frothing at the mouth about a bunch of them as if that were evidence of anything but your own prejudice.

Who cares whether a scientist or anyone else believes everything just as you do?

Doesn't look to me as though it's done much for you, Abi, or you wouldn't need to try to convince people on an anonymous board.

December 22, 2011 at 6:41 am |
    • Maybe you could buy a clue

Joxer,
      "Charging them way too much" ??? Please explain exactly how you know what they were charging ?

December 22, 2011 at 6:43 am |
    • John Richardson

@Abinadi Darwin was NOT a man of faith in any sense. Einstein seems to have been some sort of Deist or pantheist. He seemed confused on the matter, saying he believed in the god of the Spiniza (which was basically the universe itself or at least its organizing principles), but denied being a pantheist, which is pretty much a direct self-contradiction, In any event, whether he believed in an abstract god that stood in some sense outside the universe or viewed the universe itself as divine, he explicitly rejected the notion of a personal god that involves himself with people lives and judges them. He totally dismissed that notion, and was downright derisive about it. Galileo clearly gave lip service to the prevailing Catholic faith, but given that they threatened to kill him over astronomical ideas, who can blame him? Newton also was more of a Deist than a theist in the Christian sense.

Why do you feel that it is okay to spout lies in defense of your faith, or faith in general? However many brilliant people there have been who have either genuinely believed or aped belief under duress, that doesn't change the fact that propagandists like you shamelessly spread ignorance, sometimes knowingly (ie lying) and sometimes because the faithful are often too stupid to know how little they know. Either way, it's a very disgusting show to watch.

December 22, 2011 at 7:19 am |
    • Abinadi

Joxer, " 6 Reward her even as she rewarded you, and double unto her double according to her works: in the cup which she hath filled fill to her double." Revelations 18. I realize I'm being a bit hard on some of these people, but we needn't feel sorry for them. I assure you that God is not amused by their crudity, their blasphemy, their poking fun at sacred things. We need to stand up in righteous indignation to these people and defend decency.

December 22, 2011 at 10:16 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

James Watson and Francis Crick won the Nobel Prize for discovering DNA.
      I'd say that qualifies as both original and brilliant.
      They were both outspoken atheists.

"Christianity may be OK between consenting adults in private but should not be taught to young children."
      "And if some of the Bible is manifestly wrong, why should any of the rest of it be accepted automatically? ... And what would be more important than to find our true place in the universe by removing one by one these unfortunate vestiges of earlier beliefs?"

December 22, 2011 at 10:22 am |
  15. Tay

Lance, to you're question yes. But not to become a god but to be like the savior as long as I follow his commandments.

December 21, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
    • Tay

December 21, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

What a horrible waste of the only life you are guaranteed of!! To clarify, you can not prove a god exists and thus you living to be like said god is futile and wasteful. There is no afterlife-no heaven-no hell.

December 22, 2011 at 7:01 am |
    • claybigsby

"Because why else would we be on earth if we were not to become like the savior and heavenly father."

I dont know and neither do you...thats the point. To act like you know everything is beyond ignorant. Its christian.

December 22, 2011 at 10:50 am |
  16. AvdBerg

For a better understanding of the deceptions of religion and the history of the Mormon Church, we invite you to read the articles ‘Mormon Church ~ Cult and Spiritual Harlot’ and ‘Can Christianity or Any Other Religion Save You?, listed on our website http://www.aworlddeceived.ca

The Book of Mormon stands in the wisdom of men but not in the power of God (1 Cor. 2:5). David Archuleta and the members of the Mormon Church follow after an image of a false god and a false Christ (Matthew 24:24).

All of the other pages and articles will explain how and by whom this world has been deceived as confirmed by the Word of God in Revelation 12:9.

Seek, and ye will find (Matthew 7:7).

December 21, 2011 at 8:01 pm |
    • Abinadi

Or, you could get the truth and go to mormon.org.

December 21, 2011 at 9:12 pm |
    • Abinadi

Dear Avd. I have a question or two for you. You know, the protestant churches have no authority. They apostated from the Catholic church didn't they? Isn't that why they are called protestants? How could they possibly claim any authority? Paul said in Hebrews 5, "4 And no man taketh this honour unto himself, but he that is called of God, as was Aaron.
      5 So also Christ glorified not himself to be made an high priest; but he that said unto him, Thou art my Son, to day have I begotten thee."
      How was Aaron called to the priesthood? The answer, of course, is by one having authority ( Moses) and by the laying on of hands. Not even Christ, who demonstrated baptism to us, even though he was sinless, took the priesthood on himself. Paul hints that Christ was ordained a High Priest by his own father, who begot him in the flesh, and who laid his flesh and bone hands on his head in the same manner and ordained him a high priest. Christ further emphasized this in John 15. He said, "16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit,". Obviously, the protestant churches can't possibly be correct. So, which one is. If you sincerely want the answer, go to mormon.org. The good people there will help you.

December 21, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
    • Joxer the Mighty

Why are you two arguing? Get back to the basics of what Jesus taught. Love God and love other people. The entire law was based on these two things, so follow what Jesus taught and don't worry about the rest. The rest of theology is where faith comes in.

December 22, 2011 at 5:34 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Abi, you said, "Obviously the protestant churches can't possibly be correct." Says who? What possible insider knowledge do you imagine you possess that would give you any authority to make such a statement? What qualifies you to say what is "correct"?

And you wonder why atheists and agnostics mock people like you.

December 22, 2011 at 7:04 am |
    • .....

CULT ALERT – AvdBerg is a TROLL and a LIAR, they are here to sell their book and website TRASH. Click the report abuse link to get rid of this TROLL!

January 3, 2012 at 8:32 am |