home
RSS
SNL Tim Tebow controversy continues debate over quarterback's faith
A "Saturday Night Live" sketch imagined a meeting between Tim Tebow and Jesus.
December 21st, 2011

SNL Tim Tebow controversy continues debate over quarterback's faith

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – When “Saturday Night Live” parodied Tim Tebow’s relationship with Jesus last weekend, not everyone was laughing.

Televangelist Pat Robertson called the sketch, in which the Denver Broncos quarterback is met in a locker room by Jason Sudeikis playing Jesus, an example of “anti-Christian bigotry that is just disgusting.”

Speaking on the Christian Broadcast Network on Monday, Robertson wondered aloud about how other religions would have reacted to a similar parody.

“If this had been a Muslim country and they had done that and had Mohammed doing that stuff, you would have found bombs being thrown off and bodies on the street,” Robertson said.

The SNL sketch had Jesus meeting Tebow after the Broncos come-from-behind win against the Chicago Bears the previous Sunday. In it,
Sudeikis jokes that instead of reading the Bible, Tebow might want to read the playbook so that he (Jesus) doesn’t have to intervene in the 4th quarter.

“First of all, you are welcome – yes, I, Jesus Christ, are the reason you have won your past 6 football games,” says Sudeikis.

The skit and the controversy continues a narrative that combines religion, sport, and seemingly miraculous come-from-behind victories and that is turning Heisman-trophy-winning Tebow into a cultural icon.

From Rick Perry comparing himself to Tebow in a recent Republican presidential debate to Sarah Palin describing herself as “pro-Tebow” in an interview on Sunday, Tebow is gaining public admiration far outside of the world of football.

“I am so pro-Tebow,” Palin, the former vice presidential nominee, said on Fox News. “He is so unashamed of his savior, Jesus of Nazareth. He knows that Jesus is going to rock your world when you give it all over to him. He knows that the son of God should be honored a praised and Tebow does that and I respect it.”

Tebow’s on-field calling card has become his habit of getting down on one knee to pray while everyone else on the team celebrates, an act known as “Tebowing.” The gesture had been mocked by Tebow opponents and has led to high school students being suspended but has also spurred a Tebowing website and has been adopted by some other NFLers.

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger Tebowed during a Monday night game.

Tebow has remained mostly silent about all the drama around him and his faith. An avid Twitter user with over 700,000 followers, Tebow hasn’t commented on the SNL skit or Roberterson’s or Palin’s recent comments.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Christianity • Sports • TV

1. Ungodly Discipline

This should be a non-issue, yet it has turned into a creepy one.

The parody is funny and valid. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. But it is not Tebow complaining. It is the creeps like the evangelicals on this blog and evil people like Pat Robertson.

Tim Tebow seems by all accounts to be mature and honest and, well he loves Jesus a lot. Great, so what.

December 21, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • George

@Ungodly

"The issue here is the irrational thinking in general that somehow there is a God that cares who wins or loses a football game."

On that we can agree.

December 21, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Ah, but George, if Tebow were Gay, you wouldn't agree, right? You would want to string him up by his sack because God would not tolerate a h.o.m.o.s.e.sual!!!!

December 21, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
    • George

Actually, you don't understand me nor Christians on this point. Nobody can help how they are born. We are what we are. If he had a ho.mo.s.e.xual orientation, I wouldn't care. It is when it crosses over from orientation to behavior that Christians have a problem. I would say the same thing if he were a for.nicator. We are born with the desire to have s.e.x. But we know that it is sinful outside of marriage. It's the behavoir that's sinful. It's the behavior that is rightly condemned.

December 21, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
    • George

@Ungodly

Getting back to Tebow. I don't think that God cares about football. But I do know that there are children who emulate football players. If Tebow can win even a few of them over to God, then it is worth it.

December 21, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

George, I have to admire you. Anyone as completely ignorant as you who is still not afraid to go ahead and publicly display that complete lack of intelligence and education...welll......wow. Hats off to Pat Robertson too.

December 21, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • Haime52

If one of the players waved a flag and shouted "I'm a proud American!" every touchdown, would anyone make an issue of it? If he said he was loud, proud and gay every touchdown, would the media do a skit poking fun?

December 30, 2011 at 8:48 pm |
  2. Lucifer's Evil Twin

Fat Robertson should kick the bucket already. Tim Tebow is a mediocre quarterback at best and if god loved him he shouldn't have let the broncos have 3 fumble/turnovers, and jesus is a cork-soaker. That last is especially for our favorite right-wing christian hate-monger george.

December 21, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

I almost forgot: GO PATS!!

December 21, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Lucifer II
      GOD is on the Dolphins sideline this week!!!

December 21, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
  3. OrthodoxGuy

and I didn't say Christians shouldn't be allowed in politics. I'm Christian, thus "OrthodoxGuy".. I'm a member of the Antiochian Orthodox Church.

December 21, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • Clayton

You're an anti-oxidant? I'm not surprised.

December 21, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
  4. OrthodoxGuy

I actually believe people should be in politics to serve the public. But I'm also fairly idealistic at times, and I know American politics doesn't do that. I think the politicians need to spend more time on their knees in prayer as opposed to on their knees to corporations.

December 21, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • George

Christians absolutely SHOULD be involved in politics. We are a substantial majority in this country. We have to take our country back from the atheists and lukewarm Christians who don't even believe in the core values of Christianity. Christians get out and vote!!!

December 21, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Yes, you 780,000+ believers that have an abortion each year in the USA, get out and vote for Obama!

December 21, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
    • George

@HotAir

You have no say in American politics.

December 21, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
    • boocat

George – you're another fine example of the arrogant hypocritical "christian" that I despise. You claim to be so familiar with Jesus and his message....who said this "JUDGE NOT LEST YE BE JUDGED." My translation is shut the hell up and kindly keep your religion to yourself.

December 21, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
    • Clayton

George, people like you are a very vocal and treasonous MINORITY in this country. You hate our country because it was not founded on your brand of religious intolerance and this bugs you a lot as we can plainly see.
      As for treating others nicely, I'd have to say that Christians are known for not doing that.
      And many atheists have morals, unlike so many "Christians" who only give lip service to their distorted views on morality while being led around by the nose by hatemongers and fearmongers on AM radio.
      Tell me, George, do you listen to AM radio? Don't lie, now. I know you like to lie like a Christian....

December 21, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
    • captain america

Hey hotairace what Americans do or don't do in our own country is none of your f'n business.There's your sign

December 21, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
    • TR6

@George:” We have to take our country back from the atheists and lukewarm Christians who don't even believe in the core values of Christianity. Christians get out and vote!!!”

Yes, I remember how well that worked for Pat Robertson when he ran for president

December 21, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Re: having a say in US politics, I can do everything except vote, including being able to say what I want, where I want and contributing money to the party or politician of my choice. Too bad, so sad, for you!

December 21, 2011 at 6:59 pm |
  5. Guster

@wayne317

Last year I sat on a Jury in a 2nd degree murder trial. It came down to the eyewitness account of two neighbors who were nearby when the crime occured. That young man was convicted and is now in prison. Both the witness testified 6 months after the crime occured. They never wrote anything down. Your arguement seems to suggest that that process is not a valid one. You might want to think about what you are argueing...

December 21, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
    • Chuckles

@Guster

It's a shame that you are using this handle because I like the band a fair amount, but you sir do not understand what eye-witness testimony actually means. First, please don't tell me the man went to prison based solely on eye-witness account, if so our court system is more broken than I thought.

However back to the bible. It's not just eye-witness testimony as the only thing that provides the "proof" it's 100 years after the fact, not days, weeks or months, but almost a century. Try and think back 5 years ago what you were doing at this exact moment, or better yet try to remember every detail of the most remarkable event in your life, I bet you couldn't provide the detail that is provided in the bible. Secondly, the bible ONLY goes off of eye-witness testimony that everyone knows, well I guess everyone except you, eye witness testimony is probably the weakest form of evidence you can have and always gets held up as hearsay until you can produce some other hard evidence to back up a claim.

Sorry, that must have been a tough one to read, lots of 2 syllable words.

December 21, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • o.k.

@chuckles...your understanding of the laws of evidence (hearsay in particular) could fill a...matchbook. Testimonial evidence can be quite credible, as it allows the fact finder to see the witness squirm or look stoic (can't watch an author), and to be witness to a cross-examination (can't cross a book). Testimony is only hearsay if the witness is relaying an out of court statement that something someone else wrote or said and used to prove the truth of the matter asserted–i.e. not a first hand account. If I see you commit an act, my testimony is sufficient to establish that fact–I don't need to write it down to be valid.

December 21, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
    • Chuckles

@o.k.

Ok...... so basically what you are telling me that eye-witness testimony is valuable.... ok fine. Do you think that if you saw me committ a crime and the only evidence was your testimony that I would be guilty?

Yeah..... I didn't think so. You need evidence to corroborate your story. I'm not saying eye-witness testimony is useless, regardless of how you comprehended what I wrote, I'm just saying it's the weakest form of evidence there is and doesn't hold up on its own. Then again, I guess since I can only fill a matchbook with what I know I guess I need to write really really really small, is there a font size for 1 x 10 ^ -10?

December 21, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
    • Round John

Part of what you need to consider as well is that the evidence for the Jesus stories is not very clear. 2000 years is indeed a long time; generations have passed, no eyewitnesses still exist, and the stories have changed many times with re-telling, new edits, and a series of translations.

Perhaps more significantly, there is no more recent evidence for activity that can be attributed with any certainty to a god. Therefore, a just god cannot reasonably blame modern humans for doubting his existence. All that you are left with, if you accept the consequences that the bible presents, is that your god is either unjust, or just ain't there. The latter case is a lot stronger.

December 21, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
    • George

@Round John

Please cite one instance where the original Greek or Hebrew texts have been changed. Translations have of course kept up with modern language, but cite for me where the originals were changed during the last 2000 years.

December 21, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • wayne317

Nothing was written about Jesus until at least 40 years after he died. The alleged eye witness accounts in the bible aren't even the orignal ones, if there are any orignal ones to begin with. Besides that humans that are dead for 3 days stay dead. That story is too stupid to believe reguardless.

December 21, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
    • o.k.

@chuckles...your a study in the absurd. Here's another example. Someone takes a series of photographs of you holding gun, you hold a gun over a dead body, you holding a gun over a dead body with what appears to be a smile on your face. Guilty of murder? How about I then come in and testify that you (a) took the gun from the guy before he was dead (b) the guy was previously shooting everyone in site, (c) you shot him because he was about to pull out another gun that the photo didn't show and that the smile on your face was actually a smile of relief. What's more valuable, the photos or my testimony?

December 21, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
    • Chuckles

@o.k.

Oh dear, I think you need to take a criminal justice course.
      As to your bogus senario. If I was brought into a court of law, on trial for the murder of the man in the photos, there are a couple of things at play here. First and foremost, there are photos, so we know the event in question is real. We also have a photographer who can vouch for me as well as the people this person was shooting at before I stopped him right? There's forensic evidence that his prints are on the gun as well as mine. Oh yeah, and you, the photographer's, the othe victim's and my testimony all match up, because you know, we were eye-witnesses to event that presumably by the time the trial takes place had happened just a few short months ago.....not a approximately 80 years after the fact.

The real question though is, which is more valuable, the photos or the testimony? Well for me it's the testimony because it vindicates me, but the photos are still the most valuable because it can help corroborate testimony months or even years later..... then again, I think you still feel that since I think in this instance where the testimony works to my advantage that makes you right. I as.sure you it does not and hard, physical proof will trump testimony any day of the week.

December 21, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • o.k.

@chuckles...meant to add...yes, If I was the only witness to your crime, that would be a sufficient bases for you to be found guilty if I was a credible witness. But here's the deal...Christ's resurrection was not witnessed by one person...it was witnessed by dozens. The fact that that account was not written down until a number of years later does not change the testimony or make it unreliable. Between the time of the resurrection and the drafting of the gospels, the stories of the life and resurrection of Jesus were already being delivered though our the Roman empire (and probably beyond)–repeated over and over. Many of those who purport to have witnessed the resurrection (the disciples for sure) were killed for simply not recanting–that is a substantial key to their credibility: Many people will die for a lie–very few would die knowing it was a lie.

December 21, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
    • o.k.

@chuckles–that's funny–you cite to the photographer to vouch–that's testimony!!!!!!! Incredible. The nontestimonial evidence you refer to (photographs) are useless when there is no testimony for the context. BTW, my law degree will trump your ignorance any day.

December 21, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
    • Chuckles

seriously, take a course on criminal law, in your view, there is more justice in North Korea. And no, your single testimony would most certainly NOT be enough, not by a long shot, not sure where you came up with that idea, but it wouldn't. If you could put someone away with a single persons testimony of a crime, 3/4 of the american people would be occupied in jail.

As for the bible and those eye-witnesses. Do you realize how long it takes for someone to start screwing up their own account of what happened? I'll give you a hint, it's less than a month. Seeing something and writing it down or "using it" days, weeks or months later, let alone years absolutely does make it unreliable if it can't be corroborated or proven. Throw in what we now know as mass hysteria (If you want a good look, take a gander at North Korea and the public mourning that is happening currently) as well as the bible was written with clear motive, intent and bias and was edited with the same attributes.

Like I stated before, o.k. you should go take a course on criminal law, you should learn just how much weight an eye-witness testimony has in court and you should probably get a better understanding of how exactly the bible was formed to its present day version. Obviously you won't though because thinking is pretty difficult for you, and who needs to do that when you have the bible right?

December 21, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
    • Chuckles

@o.k.

Thank you for pointing out the testimony of the photographer, you smart, me dumb, I was merely painting you a picture of what is needed as evidence.

And oh my sweet jesus h. muhammed, how much did you have to pay the guy on the internet to print out a law degree? I really can't imagine someone like you actually being allowed to have a JD from an accredited law school.

December 21, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  6. Jackson

othodox guy

American history begs to differ. Would you agree the Lincoln is one of the greatest Presidents, if not the greatest President we have ever had?

In the midst of the Civil War that threatened to rupture this country, Abraham Lincoln urged Americans to get onto their knees, the way Tebow does today.

“We have forgotten God,” Lincoln lamented, “and vainly imagined that all these blessings were produced by some superior wisdom and virtue of our own. Intoxicated with unbroken success, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us.”

I challenge you to reconsider your position and what is motivating you to say what you are saying. Is for the purpose of truth and love or is it just to defend your way of thinking?

December 21, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
    • Stan

"Do you really believe that atheists and agnostics are the only ones that have a right to be involved in politics? "
      Answer: yes. Either that or have a minimum IQ level for those allowed to vote and to be in politics. That would have essentially the same impact and let the same group of people through.

December 21, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Jackson

The South was using the bible to support slavery. It was condoned by god! I won't bore everyone with the scripture, but everything written about slavery was positive. Certainly, Jesus never said: "You can't own each other."

Lincoln and whoever else getting on their knees, probably ended slavery...well, that and the ~700,000 people who died
      fighting.

Many people get sick, pray to god for a healing and then go to the doctor for a shot of antibiotic. When they get better, they thank god. Verily I say unto you, 1 shot of penicillin is worth a million idiot believers praying on their knees. LOL

Cheers!

December 21, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
  7. Louisa Ferre

for those of you that do not watch tv or like to laugh, coff... coff... atheist

December 21, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Louisa Ferre
      I know you say you are not, but you are clearly a hateful person.

December 21, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
    • Louisa Ferre

only because both Christians and atheist are in my scopes, but really I’m not that hate full I just hate Yahweh.

December 21, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Ok, so you believe in God, BUT hate God. Interesting. Why are you hateful towards Athiests? Because they don't hate the God that they don't believe in but you do? I am very confused. At least this is more interesting than Tebow.

December 21, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
    • Louisa Ferre

I don't hate atheist I just think it funny how you guys pretend to be so smart but you still think you can expand 0 to 1

I’m still trying to figure out how that works myself,…but never mind that,…what the deal with atheist pushing their beliefs on others it like everyone has to believe that there is no God for some reason you guys don’t understand that the belief in an abstract make it real god is just as real as
      Miku hatsune
      Only not as awesome or worshiped

That really what I got against you all. But there is no hate I’m only make fun of you

December 21, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Well I for one would not push my beliefs on someone. I will debunk someone else's beliefs when they are clearly ridiculous, but I am the first to admit to being a Temperal Agnostic.

Something else to ponder: 0 to -1 (it goes both ways)

My daugher loves Miku Hatsune. She does the Cosplay and the conventions and everything.

December 21, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • Louisa Ferre

Please tell me your daughter is over eighteen (sixteen if you’re a cool parent) because if you letting her go to conventions (especially comiket) there’s something you should know. That scene is not for children.

December 21, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

She goes to the one in LA and we always have 2 or 3 parents keeping an eye on potentiial weirdness. They have a club in high school too.

December 21, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
    • Louisa Ferre

Don’t mean to scare you but if she’s that much an Otaku you might want to check her PC for a folder ent.itled Yaoi or Shounen ai, and it probably best to remember this is not a phase it is a religion, so don't be angry if shes 40 and still cosplaying. That being said tell her I said “Selamat Pagi”

December 21, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Thank you for the advise. I will do that.

December 21, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
  8. Guster

@wayne317

Why, because you say it is an invalid comparision? People witnessed His resurection, they spread the word. They wrote it down. What more do you want?

December 21, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • Louisa Ferre

Dude allot of people died and came back to life in those days

December 21, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
    • *

allot = To assign as a portion; allocate

a lot = many

December 21, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
    • Louisa Ferre

my a.ss kiss it

December 21, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Guster

Jesus was probably a myth. A composite of the gods before and in vogue at the time. Check out Horus, Mithra, Hercules. Their similarities will astound you.

Matthew 12:40 – Jesus said, that he would be buried three days and three nights as Jonah was in the whale three days and three nights.

Friday afternoon to early Sunday morning is only 2 days at the most. Or, if you count Friday and Sunday as entire days, then you could get 3 days and 2 nights. This is a gimme though. The Mary's went to the grave at sunrise and it was empty.
      Obviously, the believers spin this like a pinwheel. I have seen explanations like: Jesus was actually crucified on Wednesday or maybe Thursday; The prophesy actually means 12 hour days, and not 24 hour days; The partial days are counted as full days. This one is true, but still doesn't add up.

At any rate, the crucifixion day and number of days and nights Jesus spent in the grave, is disputed.

It looks very much like, that Jesus was not in the grave for 3 days and 3 nights. The prophecy was not fulfilled.

1 Corinthian 15:14-17 – Paul says Christianity lives or dies on the Resurrection. Hmm...

And what of this?:
      Jesus had healed a woman on the Sabbath!:

Luke 13 31:33 KJV
      31The same day there came certain of the Pharisees, saying unto him, Get thee out, and depart hence: for Herod will kill thee.

32And he said unto them, Go ye, and tell that fox, Behold, I cast out devils, and I do cures to day and to morrow, and the third day I shall be perfected.

33Nevertheless I must walk to day, and to morrow, and the day following: for it cannot be that a prophet perish out of Jerusalem.

NOTE that Jesus is saying, it is impossible for a prophet (Himself) to be killed outside of Jerusalem.

Yet, Jesus WAS killed outside Jerusalem!

Calvary or Golgotha was the site, outside of ancient Jerusalem’s early first century walls, at which the crucifixion of Jesus is said to have occurred. OOoopsie!

And there is this:
      According to Luke 23:44-45, there occurred "about the sixth hour, and there was darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour, and the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst."

Yet not a single secular mention of a three hour ecliptic event got recorded. 'Cause it didn't happen!

Mathew 27 51:53
      51 At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split 52 and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. 53 They came out of the tombs after Jesus’ crucifixion and went into the holy city and appeared to many people.

How come nobody wrote about zombies running through the cities? 'Cause it is all b.s.

An interesting note, which should not be ignored:
      "The same phenomena and portents of the sudden darkness at the sixth hour, a strong earthquake, rent stones, a temple entrance broken in two, and the rising of the dead have been reported by multiple ancient writers for the death of Julius Caesar on March 15, 44 BC." – Sources Wikipedia (John T. Ramsey & A. Lewis Licht, The Comet of 44 B.C. and Caesar's Funeral Games, Atlanta 1997, p. 99–107

Hmmm...

If you can't even believe the crucifixion story how likely is the resurrection account to be true? In a book that is a mix of fiction and "fact", how do you know which is which? Especially, since all of the bible seems very unlikely and does not fit with the reality we see around us.?

Then there is the "testimony" of Jesus himself, who explicitly stated that some of his disciples would not die until Jesus inst_ituted the Kingdom, and that his generation would not pass away until all his prophecies of the end of the world had been fulfilled:

[Jesus Speaking]
      Matthew 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

I know, spin, spin, spin. But the truth is, the authors of the Gospels wrote that Jesus would be back in the 1st Century.

Jesus could not be wrong and be god. Gossip and deceit, could.

If Jesus was the Messiah and the Son of God, who died for man's redemption, then this would be the most important event in the history of man.

Having gone to the trouble of impregnating a human and being born god incarnate and dying for mankind's sins, why wouldn't god have ensured there was tons of evidence that this was true? Multiple Writings by contemporary eyewitnesses – Jews and Romans and Greeks.

You are going to want to say that there IS lots of evidence, but look at reality: There are way more people, in the world, who are not Christians (67%) than who are (33%). Obviously, the evidence is not adequate to convince even a majority of the world's people.

I would expect better performance from an almighty god.?

You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep-seated need to believe. – Carl Sagan

Cheers!

December 21, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • *

Lucy,

Sorry if facts offend you... actually, I'm on your side and just don't want you to look like a dope.

December 21, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • boocat

And you believe EVERYTHING that was ever written down? You're a naive fool.

December 21, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • Haime52

The same may be said of Atheists and non-belief. The need to NOT believe in anything outside of themselves or be answerable to any higher power. The notion that whatever they wish to do is OK because morality is, after all, a social construct that is an unnecessary limitation on their personal enjoyment.

December 30, 2011 at 9:19 pm |
  9. George

This is blasphemy. It seems to be chic to dump on Christians. I suggest we all boycott SNL.

December 21, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • rick

Georgie Boy: YOU are blasphemy to Christians, you hateful inbred cretin. Go meet Jesus, pendejo

December 21, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Can you imagine SNL's response if christians actually boycotted SNL? George, please use all of your organizing skills to make this happen.

When will believers in general and christians specifically learn that if they do not want to be ridicules, they should stop being ridiculous?

December 21, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
    • Stan

George, we all dump on you. Think about why that is.

December 21, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
    • George

@Staan

The Bible says that Christians will be hated and reviled, but we must keep the faith. Somebody has to stand up for Christ. This is a belief blog after all.

December 21, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • boocat

I'm sure SNL doesn't give a **** whether you watch or not.

December 21, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
  10. Mike124

Pat Robertson is, as he is about most things, just plain wrong. The skit was timely because Tebow is big news for his stated goal of sharing the gospel through football. SNL merely did what it does so often (and with admittedly mixed results): it treated the story with irreverence and humor. I'm sure Robertson knows damn well it's not anti-Christian bigotry, but he's using this to promote his victimization story. I'm sure Tebow himself understands that he's making himself a lightning rod here and, if he's not courting the controversy intentionally, he sure is preening in unseemly fashion.

December 21, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
    • George

December 21, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • MarcTTF

@George

What does the bible say we should to to blasphemers?

December 21, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • Mike124

Perhaps you could make a case that Tebow's preening, for all his stated intentions, is blasphemy. It could be seen as going against Matthew 6:6 and Christ's teaching about praying in private. One might also argue that Tebow is inviting ridicule with the notion that the Almighty has any concern whatsoever for NFL football – I mean, that part of it IS funny.

December 21, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • Louisa Ferre

what i think god loves football he totally gets a kick out of the violence

December 21, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
    • David Johnson

@George

You said: "It's worse than bigotry. It's blashpemy. When ever Jesus is taken out of the Gospels for the purpose of cheap laughs, it is blasphemy."

Blasphemy cannot be committed against that which does not exist.

Cheers!

December 21, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • Stan

George, we're laughing at you.

December 21, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  11. o.k.

@wayne...your demanding a culturally unacceptable pass. Most information at that time was conveyed through oral history. That doesn't make it unreliable. Moreover, I suspect you wouldn't believe the writings anyway...you already reject the Biblical accounts, so why can we trust that you would believe some other written account?

December 21, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
    • wayne317

You don't think that having people that were actually there record the event so it could be verfied the accounts were authentic that would not help? Really?

December 21, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
  12. Matt

Honestly, who gives a flying fig if Pat Robertson gets offended? Black people offend him! Haitians offend him! Poor people offend him! He's the LAST person I would EVER take moral advice from, much less listen to about ANYTHING.

December 21, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
  13. Ungodly Discipline

The sketch was kind of funny. The socks worked.

Here is what is disguesting: Pat Robertson

The 10 Stupidest Things Pat Robertson Ever Said

10. "Lord, give us righteous judges who will not try to legislate and dominate this society. Take control, Lord! We ask for additional vacancies on the court." –Pat Robertson

9. "Just like what Nazi Germany did to the Jews, so liberal America is now doing to the evangelical Christians. It's no different. It is the same thing. It is happening all over again. It is the Democratic Congress, the liberal-based media and the ho.m.os.e.x.uals who want to destroy the Christians. Wholesale abuse and discrimination and the worst bigotry directed toward any group in America today. More terrible than anything suffered by any minority in history." –Pat Robertson

8. "I would warn Orlando that you're right in the way of some serious hurricanes, and I don't think I'd be waving those flags in God's face if I were you, This is not a message of hate - this is a message of redemption. But a condition like this will bring about the destruction of your nation. It'll bring about terrorist bombs; it'll bring earthquakes, tornadoes, and possibly a meteor." –Pat Robertson, on "gay days" at Disneyworld

7. "(T)he feminist agenda is not about equal rights for women. It is about a socialist, anti-family political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians." –Pat Robertson

6. "I know this is painful for the ladies to hear, but if you get married, you have accepted the headship of a man, your husband. Christ is the head of the household and the husband is the head of the wife, and that's the way it is, period." –Pat Robertson

5. "I'd like to say to the good citizens of Dover: If there is a disaster in your area, don't turn to God, you just rejected him from your city. And don't wonder why he hasn't helped you when problems begin, if they begin. I'm not saying they will, but if they do, just remember, you just voted God out of your city. And if that's the case, don't ask for his help because he might not be there." –Pat Robertson, after the city of Dover, Pennsylvania voted to boot the current school board, which inst.ituted an intelligent design policy that led to a federal trial

4. "God considers this land to be his. You read the Bible and he says 'This is my land,' and for any prime minister of Israel who decides he is going to carve it up and give it away, God says, 'No, this is mine.' ... He was dividing God's land. And I would say, 'Woe unto any prime minister of Israel who takes a similar course to appease the E.U., the United Nations, or the United States of America.' God says, 'This land belongs to me. You better leave it alone.'" –Pat Robertson, on why Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon suffered a massive stroke

3. "Maybe we need a very small nuke thrown off on Foggy Bottom to shake things up" –Pat Robertson, on nuking the State Department

2. "You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it. It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war ... We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability. We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator. It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with." –Pat Robertson, calling for the assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez

1. "It may be a blessing in disguise. ... Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it. Haitians were originally under the heel of the French. You know, Napoleon the third, or whatever. And they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, we will serve you if you will get us free from the French. True story. And so, the devil said, okay it's a deal. Ever since they have been cursed by one thing after the other." –Pat Robertson, on the earthquake in Haiti that destroyed the capital and killed tens of thousands of people, Jan. 13, 2010

December 21, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • Matt

Excellent post, 100% agree.

December 21, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
    • SeanNJ

I think you need to revise that list to be ti.tled, "The 10 Stupidest Things Pat Robertson Ever Said...That We KNOW About."

There's got to be a few things, even for him, that he thought about including in his show and thought, "Oh, that's just batsh1t crazy."

December 21, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
  14. Guster

@what if

December 21, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • wayne317

What are the consequences for not having faith those people existed? Nothing, invalid comparison

December 21, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • What IF

Guster, There are many accurate records of those folks - and perhaps some inaccurate legends about them too. You know, it really doesn't matter much if they existed or not. If valid, verified concepts are attributed to them - fine, we can use those. It may behoove us to check into other things attributed to them for verifiable information and wisdom, but that's about it.

December 21, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Guster

You said: "Oh, sure, Great argument. I'm sure you have no problem believing Aristotle and Plato existed. How bout Alexander the Great? Did he exist? Did you every meet him, or know anyone who ever met him? Wow..."

Yeah, Wow! Everyone you mentioned have busts made in their likeness. Other eyewitness contemporaries wrote about them. We have many writings that the people you mentioned wrote. NOW THAT'S EVIDENCE!

Read my comment to you about the evidence for an actual Jesus: Not even a rough sketch or description. Nothing written by Jesus. No contemporary writings about Jesus.

Jesus was / is, no more real, than Santa Claus. And we have a description of Santa.

Cheers!

December 21, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
  15. luis

thats the wonderful thing about this country called USA......you believe what you want...and say what you want. Kudos to Tebow for sticking to what he believes in......and Im sure he has enough sense of humor to just laugh at the SNL skit....cus it was funny. Its people like this Televangelist guy that really makes me hiss at religion. BTW.....for a religious guy...thats a pretty racist thing to say about Muslims. What an ***hole

December 21, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
  16. Frank

December 21, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • Wolf Blitzer

hahahahahaha

December 21, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
    • HotAirAce

All she had to do was actually produce a package of raspberry flavoured gum and the debate would have been over. I think this little cartoon is more about believer's inability to produce factual, independent, verifiable evidence that non-believer's willingness to accept legitimate evidence.

December 21, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
  17. Guster

@warmesTghosT

Christians don't have the right to participate in American politics? How about American Muslims, should they stay out of politics as well?

December 21, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • Jackson

December 21, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
  18. Guster

The thing about Christ is you don't have to have blind faith. There is plenty of historical evidence. You can trace the accounts from the NT to the development of the early Church. Early Bishops like Ignatious of Antioch who wrote about the experience of the early Christians from what was passed down from the apostles. There were plenty of witness to the resurection.

December 21, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
    • What IF

Witnesses? Apostles? Who were they - in fact? What happened to them - in fact?

You can read here about them and maybe learn something:

December 21, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
    • wayne317

"There were plenty of witness to the resurection."

Yet not one of them wrote anything down? If they did, where can i read it?

December 21, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
    • whats more likely

People make miracle claims all the time. The bible's accounts of miracles is just another one. Why believe them any more than the current ones?

December 21, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • J.W

I am going to guess that http://www.jesusneverexisted.com is a biased source.

December 21, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • Chuckles

@JW

You make a very adulterous point.

December 21, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
    • J.W

How can I make an adulterous point? I am not even married.

December 21, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
    • What IF

J.W

Just read that page about the apostles and see what you might learn. If it's biased, you can always provide verified facts to refute it.

December 21, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
    • J.W

December 21, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
    • Chuckles

@JW

Basically it was a way to concede a point while still taking a parting shot.

December 21, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
    • J.W

Lol oh I get it. That was a very God-fearing and funny joke.

December 21, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
    • What IF

J.W: "There are no facts on the website itself. All it does is give its own opinion that the story of every single apostle is completely made up."

Did you ever consider before reading it that the stories about the apostles are so diverse and unverified? Biased Christians take "boiled in oil" martyrdom myths and the like, and use them as facts.

December 21, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • boocat

Hey Guster – there's a great book called "Jesus in India" and also a film by the same name. I suggest you check it out.

December 21, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • J.W

Yeah maybe there are some that it is not known how they died. But that does not mean that everything written about them is untrue. It is probable that many of them were executed based on the treatment of the early Christians.

December 21, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Guster

Assumptions:
      (1) Jesus died in about 30 C.E.
      (2) Hearsay is not acceptable evidence.

Hearsay – hear•say/ˈhi(ə)rˌsā/
      Noun: Information received from other people that cannot be adequately substantiated; rumor.
      The report of another person's words by a witness, usually disallowed as evidence in a court of law.
      Synonyms: rumor – report – gossip – whisper – scuttlebutt – crap (mine)

There were no eyewitness accounts of Jesus. The Gospels were written by god knows who in the third person. The Gospels were written with an agenda i.e., Jesus was the Messiah and Son of God.

We know virtually nothing about the persons who wrote the gospels we call Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.
      -Elaine Pagels, Professor of Religion at Princeton University, (The Gnostic Gospels)

The bottom line is we really don't know for sure who wrote the Gospels.
      -Jerome Neyrey, of the Weston School of Theology, Cambridge, Mass. in "The Four Gospels," (U.S. News & World Report, Dec. 10, 1990)

Jesus is a mythical figure in the tradition of pagan mythology and almost nothing in all of ancient literature would lead one to believe otherwise. Anyone wanting to believe Jesus lived and walked as a real live human being must do so despite the evidence, not because of it.
      -C. Dennis McKinsey, Bible critic (The Encyclopedia of Biblical Errancy)

Mark was the first gospel (Markan Priority). Luke and Mathew copied from Mark and from a doc_ument called "Q". 90% of Mathew's gospel, is copied from Mark. Why would an eyewitness need to copy from Mark? Not just the same narratives, but the exact same words?

There are no known secular writings about Jesus, that aren't forgeries, later insertions, or hearsay. NONE!

Most of the supposed authors lived AFTER Jesus was dead. Can you say hearsay? Can you say "the dead tell no tales"?

Philo of Alexandria (20 BC – 50 AD) a contemporary Jewish historian, never wrote a word about Jesus. This is odd, since Philo wrote broadly on the politics and theologies around the Mediterranean.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca (ca. 4 BCE – 65 CE) A.K.A. Seneca the Younger. A contemporary of Jesus wrote extensively on many subjects and people. But he didn't write a word about a Jesus.

Gaius Plinius Secundus (23 AD – August 25, 79 AD), better known as Pliny the Elder, was a Roman author, naturalist, and natural philosopher. Plinius wrote "Naturalis Historia", an encyclopedia into which he collected much of the knowledge of his time. There is no mention of a Jesus.

The area in and surrounding Jerusalem served, in fact, as the center of education and record keeping for the Jewish people. The Romans, of course, also kept many records. Moreover, the gospels mention scribes many times, not only as followers of Jesus but the scribes connected with the high priests. And nothing about the Jesus. Nada! Not even something chiseled on a wall or carved into a tree like: "Jesus Loves Mary Magdalene".

John 21:25 King James Version (KJV)
      25And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.
      Golly Gee! You would think a fellow this "gifted" , would have at least been mentioned by one of these historians.
      There is a line in the musical Jesus Christ Superstar that says:"The rocks themselves would start to sing".

Hmm...

We don't even have a wooden shelf that Jesus might have built. Or anything written by Jesus. God incarnate, and we don't even have a Mother's day card signed by Him.

Mark 3:7- 8 King James Version (KJV)
      7But Jesus withdrew himself with his disciples to the sea: and a great mult_itude from Galilee followed him, and from Judaea,
      8And from Jerusalem, and from Idumaea, and from beyond Jordan; and they about Tyre and Sidon, a great mult_itude, when they had heard what great things he did, came unto him.

Yet, not one of these adoring fans, bothered to draw a picture, chisel a bust, or even write down a description. Even Mohammad has a description. Virtually all important people do. And god, being god, could have preserved it.

Huge groups of people following a man who had performed miracles...yet no historian of the time, commented on it.
      The Dead Sea Scrolls did not mention Jesus or have any New Testament scripture, as some have claimed.

Jesus, if he existed, was not considered important enough to write about by any contemporary person. The myth hadn't had a chance to flourish. The future stories and miracles needed time to grow and spread.

Paul's writings were the first, about Jesus. But, Paul's writing was done 25 to 30 years after Jesus was dead. In a primitive, ultra-supersti_tious society, 25 years is a lot of time for a myth to grow. Twenty-five years was most of the average person's lifespan in the 1st Century.

No television, No electric lights. People mostly sat around and told stories... Ever played "telephone"? A story is started at the beginning of a group. Each person passes the story along to the next person. The person at the end retells the story and it is compared to the original. Often the ending story is totally different from the original.

Also, when you have a superhero, it is beyond belief that this hero's deeds would not get better in the telling.

Some people feel that Paul, not Jesus, is the real father of what most Christians believe today (Pauline Christianity).
      Paul never actually met Jesus. His knowledge and faith was the result of hearsay and an epileptic "vision".
      "In more recent times, this opinion has found support from the fact that sight impediment-including temporary blindness lasting from several hours to several days-has been observed as being a symptom or result of an epileptic seizure and has been mentioned in many case reports."
      Source: http://www.epilepsiemuseum.de/alt/paulusen.html

The Messiah must be a descendent of King David. (Jeremiah 23:5, 33:17; Ezekiel 34:23-24) Although the Greek Testament traces the genealogy of Joseph (husband of Mary) back to David, it then claims that Jesus resulted from a virgin birth, and, that Joseph was not his father. Copyright 2008 – Jews for Judaism
      The authors of the gospels, blew it.

The claim that Jesus will fulfill the Messianic prophesies when he returns does not give him any credibility for his “first” coming. The Bible never speaks about the Messiah returning after an initial appearance. The “second coming” theory is a desperate attempt to explain away Jesus’ failure. – Copyright 2008 – Jews for Judaism

Actually the tasks left undone, are the result of Jesus being a myth. Consider, that it's been 2000+ years. I don't think those "other" tasks are gonna be done. LOL

Cheers!

December 21, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
    • Clayton

David – That's a long but very good reply of yours! Why CNN doesn't use your stuff as an article is beyond me. 😛

December 21, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
    • Haime52

@ David J. – You wouldn't seem to know an eye witness if you tripped over one. John claims to be just such a witness and I have seen no "proof" that he was not exactly what he claimed.
      How do we know Plato existed? Hipocrates? Aristotle? Did Homer write the Illiad? Did Hammurabi write a codex or was it ghost wriitten. Did William Sheakspeare exist? On what evidence do we rest any claim that these people ever existed? Could they not have been a clever construct of someone's imgaination?

December 30, 2011 at 9:38 pm |
  19. Louisa Ferre

want to play pool any one I’m not that good though,... say how about we put some money down,... it will make the game interesting.
    Wow I have never played poker befor…

Seen it all so many times,… I did them all to…it’s a swindle

December 21, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
  20. OrthodoxGuy

I still don't understand the need for the insults. So you don't accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior. That's your choice, even the bible you deride tells us to give you your choice. Why do you feel a need to go onto every Christian blog and insult Christianity and Christians?

December 21, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
    • warmesTghosT

When you and yours learn to stay out of American politics, we'll leave you alone.

Not till then.

December 21, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
    • David Johnson

@OrthodoxGuy

Christian Right Agenda = Christian Theocracy

Theocracy = A government ruled by or subject to religious authority.

Christian Right = Predominately Evangelicals

The Texas history books are rewriting history to give the conservative slant. The objective of this effort, is to create a Christian Nation, a theocracy with Jesus as Head of State.
      The recent article about the letter to the Jews, from George Washington, must sting like a son-of-a-gun. We are a secular nation. Thank god!

A huge campaign is underway, to convince the American people, the founding fathers never intended a separation of church and state. Thomas Jefferson's role as a founding father is played down. In some cases Jefferson is smudged.

Expect an attack on the 1st and 14th Amendments. The founding fathers will weep.
      Most of the Tea Party are for a Christian Theocracy. The Tea Party is in bed with the Christian Right. A vote for any Tea Party candidate, is a vote for Christian Right domination.

The Republicans are the puppets of the Christian Right and Rich White Men. If you aren't rich or if you aren't white, then this is not your party. Remember Rand Paul's wish to have limited government that should not force private businesses to abide by civil rights law? Isn't that a tad racist or is it just me? Can you say: "You want me to sit where on the bus?"

You will see an amendment defining marriage as between a man and woman. Gay rights will dwindle and die.

Roe Vs. Wade will be reversed. Women will once again be forced to seek back alley remedies. Men may be forced to buy condoms on the black market. You will procreate! Or you will be abstinent! It is not up to you!

Stem cell research will stagnate. The hopes of damaged and sick people will be dashed. Little Billy better get used to that wheelchair.

All scientific research will be scrutinized by the Christian Right. "Whether or not a theory is in agreement with the Evangelical's interpretation of god's will", will be the new metric. Get use to hearing "God Did It". No one will dare question otherwise.
      Science classes will be much easier. Much less to remember or think about. 90% of the answers will be "D" – God did it. 30% correct will be passing. 50% will be Valedictorian.
      Makes it pretty easy to get their "sheep skin". Baaaaa!

Education doesn't matter! Jesus is coming soon. When Perry told of his poor academic performance, The Republicans (Tea Party?) applauded.

Let's glorify ignorance and stupidity!

You say you've developed a vaccine that will prevent women from getting cervical cancer? No, Mr. Scientist. You will pour it down the drain! And you will make drugs that prevent STDs no more! So sayeth the Lord...According to the Religious Nuts.

"Giving the HPV vaccine to young women could be potentially harmful, because they may see it as a license to engage in premarital $ex. Abstinence is the best way to prevent HPV" – Bridget Maher of the Family Research Council

I would much rather my daughter was lying there dying of cancer, rather than having taken a shot that might have given her out of control urges.

There was a recent article on the Religious blog about how Evangelical young'uns are not waiting for marriage.

Little Betty is not praying so often, because she is so devout. She is praying for her Aunt Flow. Amen!

P_ornography will be illegal. The Religious Right will decide what is p_ornographic , as well as what is art. You will watch television programs approved by the Evangelicals. Lots of reruns of "Growing Pains", starring that Evangelical darling Kirk Cameron. Thank you Jesus!

Will museums exhibiting transitional fossils and other evidence of evolution, be deemed po_rnographic and closed? Their exhibits burned?
      Creationism will be taught in public school, most likely alongside evolution rather than instead of, but no guarantees. Creationism/ Intelligent Design will consist of 10 chapters. Evolution will be mentioned on the book jacket cover.

Vouchers will enable parents to send their child to religious schools. Funds to public schools will dwindle. Quality education will be out of reach for the masses. The finite amount of money, will be spread too thin. Destroying the public school system is the purpose of the voucher system.

If each faith attends their own school, interacts only with children who believe as they do, Might this not interfere with the melting pot, we often brag about? Won't this increase prejudices? The Catholics once told their children that Jews have horns. *sigh*

Segregation, is not beneficial. We need to learn to get along, and work together. Toddlers are really good at playing well with others.

Little Johnny will believe in talking snakes and Zombie Messiahs. He will spend his free time watching the heavens, waiting for Jesus to return. The rest of the world is spending their time learning real science and math. Good luck Johnny. Can you say: "Would you like fries with that?" And you Betty! Lots of jobs overseas. With your qualifications, there is a pole with your name on it, waiting for you.

State-sanctioned Prayer will be in our schools. The Christian Right think they know better than the Founding Fathers and want to tamper with the Bill of Rights. They want to amend the U.S. Const_itution, so that the Government would legally sponsor and take over the activity of prayer. Only the one true god, the Christian god, will be given homage. The god(s), of all other faiths, will be subservient to the Christian god. Muslim parents will need to make this clear to their children. Will the Catholics and the Mormons be Christian enough? What about the Jehovah Witnesses? The Evangelicals / Jesus will determine this.
      The non-Christians will be allowed to put their heads down on their desks, during the morning worship. They can contemplate their damnation, for not accepting Jesus.

$ex education will consist of abstinence only. Studies have shown it is a worthless concept. But, it will please the religious fanatics. Why did little Betty have her purity ring reshaped into a tongue stud?

The war against unions, commenced during the Reagan administration, will continue. Labor will be humbled. They will accept the wages they are offered and should be grateful to get it. The Mexicans won't come here for jobs, anymore. The rate of pay won't justify the effort.

Say goodbye to enti_tlements. Medicare will be changed to a voucher system. When Grandma is out of vouchers, she is out of luck. Social Security is a Ponzi Scheme! We will reduce Grandmas' pension a % for each, predetermined, increment of life. God said to honor our fathers and mothers – the elderly. But, I guess the Evangelicals know best.

Our elderly will die earlier than they would like. But, they have the promise of an afterlife to comfort them. Unless of course, they haven't accepted Jesus. Then, they will burn in a place created by an all loving and all just god, for all eternity.
      Best for them to concentrate on the pie in the sky. Works better than opium for a lot of people.

Go toward the light, Grandma... Grandpa is waiting for you.
      We love you Grandma. But, the Republicans have taken away Medicare and cut your Social Security. Go to sleep, now.

The government will turn over Medicade and the rest of the programs for the p_oor, to the Christian Right. They will decide who will receive help and who will not. No longer will the criteria for receiving help, simply be income. Every dime given, will have "strings". The poor will be beholden to the Evangelicals.

The Christian Right has embraced Paul as the moral lawgiver. Paul's First Ep_istle of Paul to the Thessalonians, is often quoted by the Republicans. You never hear them quote Jesus' advice to the rich. You don't bite the hand that feeds you. Jesus will understand.

The Republicans applaud the executions, of human beings. The more the merrier. They will be a burden to the state, no more! If it turns out some were actually innocent, god will set it right... Providing they have accepted Christ.

Perhaps trials aren't necessary. Send the accused directly to god's justice! We are a Christian nation!! Are we not the hand of god?

The accused are of another faith, you say? Give them a chance to pray the Sinners Prayer, and send them to judgment.

The Republicans screamed, "YES", when asked if an uninsured man should be allowed to die.
      If you read the Good Samaritan parable told by Jesus, you might come away with the idea that Jesus wouldn't agree.
      But, I bet Jesus will change His mind once the Evangelicals rule in His name. Jesus will decide that it was the sick fellows personal responsibility. Good Christians should not be bothered! Thus saith the Lord! Wow! I didn't even see His lips move...

Could be, Jesus will feel compelled to rewrite the entire bible, leaving out those obviously unclear parts. The Evangelicals will help Jesus clear them up. Guaranteed!

Jesus will be the Head of State! He will be represented by an empty chair at the head of the leadership table. Only the Evangelicals will be able to hear His voice. They will tell the rest of us His will.
      Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

The Evangelicals will rule in the name of a non-existent demigod.

"Theocracies generally do not tolerate freedom of expression. They believe their dogma is divine; that it comes from divine revelation (directly from God as in Moses on Mount Sinai) and therefore, no dissenting opinion can be accurate or helpful. This often leads to widespread abuse of basic human rights."

WoW! If the above quote doesn't make you wanna puke...

The Evangelicals are not content to run their own lives. They want to get, by political means, what Jesus never has and never will give them, by returning.

Vote for the Dems in 2012. There are a lot of things I would like to see changed in the Democratic Party, but at least they are not insane.

Thank God, this country is a secular nation.

Remember, Jesus won't really be in charge. It will be an Evangelical idiot.

Cheers!