home
RSS
December 30th, 2011

Fox apologizes to Jews for poll on who murdered Jesus

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Fox Latin America has pulled and apologized for an online poll that asked who was responsible for Jesus’ death and included Jews as a possible response.

The poll had been posted on a Facebook page for National Geographic Cable TV in Latin America as part of a promotional effort for a Christmas special on the channel, according to the Simon Wiesenthal Center, a Jewish group.

The National Geographic Channel in Latin America is a member of Fox International Channels, part of News Corp.

“Christmas Special is coming to Nat Geo… Who do you think responsible for the death of Jesus?” the Spanish-language poll asked, according to the Wiesenthal Center.

The multiple-choice responses were “Pontius Pilate; The Jewish People; the High Priests.”

On Wednesday, the Wiesenthal Center announced that the National Geographic Channel in Latin America had removed the poll and apologized for it.

"We sincerely apologize for the publication of a poll on our website that might have unintentionally given place to interpretations, opinions or expressions of intolerance that might affect the Jewish community," Fox Latin America’s vice president for corporate communications and PR said in a statement.

“This would contradict the mission and spirit of National Geographic worldwide, which focuses on education for diversity through shows questioning our world,” said the vice president, Guadalupe Lucero.

"We have also taken appropriate measures to prevent such incidents in the future,” he said.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Jesus • Judaism • TV • Uncategorized

soundoff (1,653 Responses)
  1. Tom

Does it really matter who killed Him? Most people think Christ is for us only at the time of our death and His life on earth pertained merely to our existence in the next world, but what He really would like you to have is that you would get to know Him and see THIS world through His eyes.

December 31, 2011 at 8:03 am |
  2. Tom

I just love the Atheist's angle: I am an ape, nothing BUT an ape, so let me be in my ape world. God is OK with that, as He only wants companionship with those who are looking for something more.

December 31, 2011 at 7:52 am |
    • awasis

Well let's look the believers angle. I believe in writings that are almost 2000 years old and older that have been edited and added to and mistranslated by others down through the centuries. I believe in a creation story that has no scientific basis what so ever, that says the Earth is 6000 years old and the human race started from only two people. I could go on, but you already know how stupid your belief is, yet you believe it anyway. Can't fix stupid.

December 31, 2011 at 9:04 am |
  3. Rainer Braendlein

Most responsible for Jesus death was Judas Iscarioth. He delivered Jesus to the high priests.

Neither Pontius Pilate nor the high priests dared to arrest Jesus publically, because many people loved Jesus, thus they depended on an information, where Jesus stayed alone with his disciples and could be arrested without turmoil. That was the Garden of Gethsemane, were Jesus used to gather with his disciples.

Judas Iscarioth was a converted Jew, that means a Christian. Seemingly, Judas turned apostate after a time of true discipleship and betrayed Jesus.

Better, Judas never had been born, Jesus said.

December 31, 2011 at 7:50 am |
  4. Tom

"Seek and you shall find". Obviously, you are seeking something if you are interested enough to post–and God is only interested in those who are looking for Him. If you seek (my version of seeking amounted to actually reading the New Testament and literally getting to know Christ rather than listening to a church leader's dogma), you may find Him, and a whole new world will open up to you. It may not be an easy world, but the scope of this world is exponential, and dimensional–comparable to the difference between animal and human existence.

December 31, 2011 at 7:44 am |
  5. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer is the substance of a successful life
    Communion with God expands the mind and strengthens the soul
    Love of God is the beginning of life
    Thanking God is a natural result of God's grace to us
    We all are responsible for the murder of Jesus

December 31, 2011 at 7:22 am |
    • Rick

What tripe. None of us is responsible for anything we did not do.

December 31, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
  6. Jonathan M. Brouillette

1 John 2: 18 – 21
    --------------------------–

18 Children, it is the last hour; and as you have heard that antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have come; therefore we know that it is the last hour.
    19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out, that it might be plain that they all are not of us.
    20 But you have been anointed by the Holy One, and you all know.
    21 I write to you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and know that no lie is of the truth.

December 31, 2011 at 6:40 am |
  7. AgentSTS

Sorry Jews, but just because it hurts your feelings doesn't mean it's not true. I'm not even a Christian and know that. The moment someone with an emotional boo-boo can silence history then you know for sure that our society is a cesspool.

December 31, 2011 at 6:03 am |
  8. augustghost

As much as I abhor fox "news"....I have to say that I agree. The Jews did make the decision to kill Jesus.. The jews are still trying to spin this.....no surprise

December 31, 2011 at 4:05 am |
    • Mycology

I'm Jewish, and may I please apologize but also ask clarification... how / when did I kill Jesus? I dont remember doing it,

and if I recall my history well, it was Romans who nailed him to a cross and stabbed him with a spear...

and if I call my bible well (and yes I own one), he said "No man takes my life, but I give it up freely, only to take it up again, this I have been commanded by my father"

December 31, 2011 at 7:11 am |
    • Note from Jeebus

Thank you Mycology. Everyone knows I came to die. I committed suicide. I couldn't ditch those 12 guys any other way. It was a "death by cop". I caused a huge ruckus in the temple so they would take me out, and it worked.

December 31, 2011 at 11:14 am |
  9. tallulah13

Next from Fox: A poll on who killed Voldemort.

December 31, 2011 at 2:36 am |
    • Omon

Oh, wait! I know this one! Uh....let's see....um...damn.

December 31, 2011 at 3:02 am |
    • 0G - No gods, ghosts or goblins

Are you sure he is dead?

December 31, 2011 at 3:11 am |
  10. akmac64

Since Jesus, if he lived, was supposed to die, what difference does it make. The early church was Jewish then was taken over by Rome. The gospels, which were hand picked by the Roman church, reflect that. They are political, hardly the word of God.

December 31, 2011 at 2:29 am |
    • D.Smith

You nailed it right on the head! (no pun intended).

December 31, 2011 at 8:11 am |
  11. N

And we still have pro-choice commercials on TV? Really?

December 31, 2011 at 12:14 am |
  12. Reality

Who killed Jesus? His father if you believe all the Christian mumbo-jumbo!!

To wit:

"Moreover, an atonement theology that says God sacrifices his own son in place of humans who needed to be punished for their sins might make some Christians love Jesus, but it is an obscene picture of God. It is almost heavenly child abuse, and may infect our imagination at more earthly levels as well. I do not want to express my faith through a theology that pictures God demanding blood sacrifices in order to be reconciled to us."

Professor JD Crossan

December 30, 2011 at 11:57 pm |
    • dtw888

Reality, Do not listen to JD..., try the faith out personaly, that is called Reality. No believer is real believer until he/she see the night/day difference through faith in Christ.

Hold Reality and Truth, The TRUTH will set you free.

December 31, 2011 at 12:30 am |
    • HeavenSent

You floor me with all your negativity about Jesus. You're a shrink's jackpot to the good life ... having you in therapy with your negative view about life.

Is that glass of yours half full or half empty? You own it.

Happy New Year.

December 31, 2011 at 1:07 am |
    • Russ

So, let me get this straight – one invisible make-believe guy is responsible for killing another make-believe guy because it was all some kind of plan to save everyone. Um....yeah...right...outstanding plan...the results speak for themselves - people killing people everywhere, mostly over RELIGION. Yeah, nice job, well done. What a lot of hooey.

December 31, 2011 at 2:50 am |
    • Cuervo Jones

the problem i see is sacrificing a human is forbidden, self-sacrifice would be suicide? neither can be reconciled with the bible

December 31, 2011 at 7:09 am |
    • Reality

The Apostles' Creed 2011: (updated by yours truly and based on the studies of historians and theologians of the past 200 years)

Should I believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
      and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
      human-created, spirit state of bliss called heaven??

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
      preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
      named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
      girl named Mary. (Some say he was a mamzer.)

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
      the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
      a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
      Jerusalem.

Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by
      many semi-fiction writers. A descent into Hell, a bodily resurrection
      and ascension stories were promulgated to compete with the
      Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
      grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
      and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
      called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen
      ===================================================================================

December 31, 2011 at 8:48 am |
  13. ashrakay

Oh, I know the answer to this one... Who killed Jesus? The thinking man. Intelligence has been killing gods and fairies for thousands of years. Sadly its work never seems to be done.

December 30, 2011 at 11:23 pm |
    • Rohn

This was a silly poll of course. But my understanding of the teachings is that God killed his son Jesus so we could all be saved.
      Am I wrong? If he was not killed we would not have Christianity would we? I believe we need to to show a little more depth when it comes these spiritual issues and stop arguing like competing children. Explore the questions for there are no answers!

December 30, 2011 at 11:57 pm |
    • Jim

@Rohn, it wouldn't have been much of a story if Jesus died of dysentery or severe tooth decay, huh?

December 31, 2011 at 12:00 am |
    • Note from Jeebus

Not to worry. Nobody killed me. "I arose, and am still with you".

December 31, 2011 at 11:16 am |
    • ashrakay

@Rohn, Yeah, you missed a post earlier where I accused god of murdering his son.

December 31, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
  14. dtw888

Fox should not appoligize for posting the question, but should appoligize for missing right answer. The right selection is "all Human Being". Yes it is Jews handled Jesus to Pilate, but the real real root cause is that all sinners hate light, prefer darkness. Even today, if Jesus come back, most people still want to kill him. The reason: he will expose how ugly we are, just as Jews could not accept it as ~2012 years ago.

December 30, 2011 at 11:10 pm |
    • akmac64

So, you are equating the Jews as a group, with darkness? That is so kind of you. The person presented as Jesus was a devout Jew, not a christian, since christians as such did not exist. He was a Jewish reformer, whose message was hijacked by Rome for political reasons.

December 31, 2011 at 2:35 am |
    • dtw888

akmac64, I say all human being under darkness (coming from explosion, and whole unverse will die into darkness, period). Jews are human being. But the truely OD believers of Jews have, are and will see salvation through Christ, Christ followers are called christians which is just a concept, not so important. The important point is OT cannot give jews rightouesness as they practiced until today, faith in Christ can. I do not know why, but as a gentile as me, it worked. It worked for a few jews around me, it will work for you, but will not if you do not care about rightoueness or eternal life.

December 31, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
  15. Leucadia Bob

December 30, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  16. Zed Mezcalhead

Hilarious. What do you expect from a newscorp owned by friggin' Disney.

December 30, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  17. Ray Lewis Killed Jesus!!!

Damn you, Ray Lewis! Why did you do it? Why did you kill Jesus? Why, Ray Lewis??? WHY????

December 30, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  18. link

Amen

December 30, 2011 at 9:59 pm |
  19. Shan

America needs to ***** S T O P ***** paying billions and billions of dollars to Israel from our tax money! They should feel our low income families than giving our money to the zionists who hate America anyway!!

December 30, 2011 at 9:43 pm |
    • akmac64

Zionists hate America? Really? For example?

December 31, 2011 at 2:47 am |
    • Mycology

I'm a zionist (I believe Israel has a right to exist as the homeland nation / state of the jewish people), and I love America, and I live here, and I am loyal to America and what America stands for...

so please tell me, when did I start hating america, because i'm pretty sure I love this country.

December 31, 2011 at 7:12 am |
    • bud

Israel would first take care of Jews if the situation were reversed.

December 31, 2011 at 7:17 am |
  20. Laurence

I am sick and tired at these damn public schools teaching kids and shoveling at their throat about the holocaust week after week. My kids always come home and says that he feel bad for the Jews LOL. Public schools should start teaching about other worse holocaust that caused much much more deaths than the WWII one' !!!

December 30, 2011 at 9:42 pm |
    • Tort

They should study ALL genocides and attempted genocides throughout history. Most primitive peoples did genocide at one time or another. Moses committed genocide all over the place. Every continent and almost every large island has seen it's share of genocide or murder on a large scale. Massacres. All throughout history. Mongols did it, different Asian peoples have done it, as have people throughout the Indies, the East, the West, the North and the South. About the only people I can think of who aren't known to have done such a thing would be the Australian Aborigines, but they were almost certainly descended from people who did, so genocide is a common human failing, even in modern times. We are all descended from genocidal maniacs, people who escaped death by any means necessary, etc.
      To avoid knowledge of human weakness is to be at risk of repeating those mistakes and crimes against humanity.

December 30, 2011 at 9:54 pm |
    • Eeyore

Maybe they better teach some remedial English to pops while they're at it.

December 30, 2011 at 9:55 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Yes, it would be good for American children to learn about the attempted extermination of Native Americans and the millions of Africans who died as a result of slavery.

December 30, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
    • Zed Mezcalhead

Why are you so weird?

December 30, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
    • akmac64

What is more interesting is why you object to lessons about the holocaust. Also your targeting of public schools. Where are you coming from with this? As others note, genocide itself should be studied with an eye towards understanding history and keeping it from repeating itself.

December 31, 2011 at 2:43 am |