home
RSS
December 30th, 2011

Fox apologizes to Jews for poll on who murdered Jesus

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Fox Latin America has pulled and apologized for an online poll that asked who was responsible for Jesus’ death and included Jews as a possible response.

The poll had been posted on a Facebook page for National Geographic Cable TV in Latin America as part of a promotional effort for a Christmas special on the channel, according to the Simon Wiesenthal Center, a Jewish group.

The National Geographic Channel in Latin America is a member of Fox International Channels, part of News Corp.

“Christmas Special is coming to Nat Geo… Who do you think responsible for the death of Jesus?” the Spanish-language poll asked, according to the Wiesenthal Center.

The multiple-choice responses were “Pontius Pilate; The Jewish People; the High Priests.”

On Wednesday, the Wiesenthal Center announced that the National Geographic Channel in Latin America had removed the poll and apologized for it.

"We sincerely apologize for the publication of a poll on our website that might have unintentionally given place to interpretations, opinions or expressions of intolerance that might affect the Jewish community," Fox Latin America’s vice president for corporate communications and PR said in a statement.

“This would contradict the mission and spirit of National Geographic worldwide, which focuses on education for diversity through shows questioning our world,” said the vice president, Guadalupe Lucero.

"We have also taken appropriate measures to prevent such incidents in the future,” he said.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Jesus • Judaism • TV • Uncategorized

soundoff (1,653 Responses)
  1. SDCinCA

It's a matter of historical record – why would you even bother to poll about. It's like taking a poll about "Who shot Lincoln"?

January 29, 2012 at 6:51 am |
  2. Richard Hode

So who killed JC? I wonder what the poll results were. Since it's not mentioned in the article I bet most voted for the Jews. The art of reading between the lines is not reserved to people living under communist dictatorships.

January 28, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
  3. !!!!!*****GOD*****!!!!!

Jesus was a Jew too...just sayin'. You don't have to apologize to them, but STOP blaming them for his death. He was meant to die...end of story.

January 28, 2012 at 6:33 am |
  4. Bobs Friend

The proof you guys are incessantly requesting is always available to you: If you repent and believe in Christ, He will reveal Himself to you, as He has to me and millions of other people. I have experienced the presence of God, which is far greater proof than any test tube test, because the proof is inside me!! Amen!!
    Jesus says:
    Rev 3:20Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.

Jn 14:19Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.”

22Then Judas (not Judas Iscariot) said, “But, Lord, why do you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world?”

23Jesus replied, “If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.

January 27, 2012 at 9:43 pm |
    • Bobs Friend

Also 1 Jn 4:1313We know that we live in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit. 14And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. 15If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in him and he in God. 16And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.

God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. 17In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like him. 18There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

19We love because he first loved us. 20If anyone says, “I love God,” yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. 21And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother.

January 27, 2012 at 9:47 pm |
    • john

You are an irrational lunatic.

January 29, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
    • john

Dying Christian: God, you gave me cancer. I am only 35 and will leave a grieving wife and two little girls. Why, oh Lord? I have been a good person all my life. My family and I have kept your commandments and attended church every Sunday.

God: It’s all part of my “grand plan” for you. Your small mind cannot comprehend such matters.

Dying Christian: But God, I am being robbed of the best years of my life. I think you owe me an explanation. I am truly frightened!

God: I was moving in mysterious ways.

Dying Christian: What the hell does that mean?

God: Well, I kill millions of people with cancer every year. But that’s nothing compared to the millions of children in Africa and Asia I starve to death each year, flies crawling on their faces, because they are too weak to swat them away. Pretty mysterious, hey?

Dying Christian. I can’t believe what I’m hearing?

God: Yeah, it’s pretty rare that I speak so frankly. Look, if it makes you feel any better, tell yourself it’s Satan’s work. Satan gave you the cancer (or man, if you prefer).

Dying Christian: But you’re god!! You can stop Satan.

God: Ok, you’ve got me there. Look kid, the truth is, I don’t exist. I never have. Wasn’t it obvious to you that you made me when I seemed to love all the same things you do and hate all the same things you do? Haven’t you noticed that those who disapprove of you say I disapprove of you and that those who support you say I support you? Every culture that has ever existed has had its own gods and they all seem to favor that particular culture, its hopes, dreams and prejudices. What, do you think we all exist? If not, why only yours?

Dying Christian: That’s a shame, because I intended to give you a free pass. To still believe in you despite my misfortune. I have been taught to believe in you and never to question it, and I accepted what they said when they told me it was wrong to doubt.

God: Well, look at it from my perspective. How long would I last if I positively promoted healthy skepticism, independent thought and rational investigation? You people would see right through me in a minute.

Dying Christian: Ok. I have to go now. My chemotherapy is really debilitating.

God: Good luck. I’ll say a prayer for you. Hey – even I need a god sometimes

January 29, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
  5. David Crosby

Why do we constantly have to apologize to the Jewish when they are using us within the same argument...If we have to support them because of some ridiculous bible passage then they can sit and take it when they are questioned because of another ridiculous bible passage..their motives are as dark as Hamas or the PLO...and Jesus and his Dad are both dead..so there..no reason to form a whole US policy around dead gods...kick ALL the Middle Eastern's to the curb...

January 27, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
    • david

Are Jews who have lived in this country for 200 years and financed the American Revolution, the Continental Congress and George Washington's Continental Army "Middle Easterners"?

January 28, 2012 at 10:13 pm |
    • AMIN

YOU DON'T KNOW WHO ARE HAMMAS. GO HEAD AND READ SOME AND COMMEN......... YOU AND YOU BELIVIE IS DARK AS YOUR COMMENT

January 29, 2012 at 9:15 am |
  6. PugPower

I think we are all missing the most important point here...what were the results of the poll???

January 27, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
  7. Rational Libertarian

So one group of people who worship an evil sky wizard killed a man who claimed to be the sky wizard's son but the man became a zombie to save the world.

Makes perfect sense.

January 26, 2012 at 8:34 pm |
    • TheWiz71

You should be ashamed of your ignorance.

January 27, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
    • zapatta

Of course there is a god... so let's see the proof just in case..hehehe

January 27, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
    • Rational Libertarian

TheWiz

What did I get wrong? That's the gist of the New Testament, minus Revelations, which was clearly written by someone on a bad acid trip. I've read most of the Bible, which is something I doubt you have done.

January 28, 2012 at 10:40 am |
  8. The Woof

Yes the Jews killed the Christ that we have come to know but to those at the time this was the elimination of another Jew who threatened their power and prestige. But that is beside the point, what is overlooked is that Christ's sacrifice was already planned and had to be as part of the Master's plan to allow mankind a chance at redemption. A chance that many human beings are wasting by all of the evil they commit on a daily basis. So, yes the Jews did murder Christ not directly but indirectly by using another party to do the act.

January 26, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
    • Tucson Dean

According to the story, God sent Jesus to Earth to die as a sacrificial lamb. So it was, in fact, God who planned and carried out the murder of Jesus, He just used the Jews and Romans to perform the act itself.

January 29, 2012 at 9:45 am |
  9. mel

The only problem with the poll is that they should have included, Us and an All Of The Above. The truth is that the Jews in power at the time held a night court that was illegal according to their scripture. They went to the Roman authorities to do what they couldn't and pushed for it. Pilate was a coward and did it even though he knew it was wrong and his wife warned him.
    None of it was out of God's control and the people that physical killed Him are in the same boat as the rest of us since He died because of all of us. If He hadn't, we would all be going to hell.
    I get so tired of people trying to rewrite history to be PC. The Jews can object all they want but they did do it. Just like Hitler killed Jews. But we are all guilty. Countries turned their backs when they knew what Hitler was doing so all countries are guilty of the holocaust. Our sin killed Jesus' too. The Jews whose lives were saved during the holocaust were done so through Christians being called by God to do so. Remember it all and speak the truth or look like a fool.

January 25, 2012 at 11:59 am |
    • Erik

You sound as if you have been educated. Why do your words portray an idiot ?

January 25, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
    • Beth

You can't even prove Jesus existed. There is no written record of him from his supposed life time. Jesus was Jewish. Is he responsible for killing himself? Is Mary?

January 25, 2012 at 8:00 pm |
  10. Nunya

All these people who are like, "ZOMG! Jews killed Jesus!" are too stupid and obnoxious for words. If you base your belief on Christian theology then you must accept the fact, that Jesus had to die, had to be killed to become the savior of the world and those who killed him were part of that grand design...some might even say pawns.

January 24, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
  11. daveinla

Why? The Jewish leadership were puppets of the Roman regime. They wanted Jesus arrested and executed. Why is this an issue? Its historical fact.

January 24, 2012 at 11:57 am |
    • LEZ

Historical fact? Evolution is a historical fact yet christian fanatics deny it......

January 24, 2012 at 12:13 pm |
    • Kleb

@LEZ: there's way more evidence supporting evolution than there is supporting Jesus' existence.

January 24, 2012 at 6:21 pm |
    • Beth

You can't even prove Jesus existed. There is no written account of his life while he was alive. It isn't until many years after he died that anyone wrote about him.

January 25, 2012 at 9:01 pm |
  12. Jesus killed himself......

......by trying to rebel against Pax Romana. If you did not pay your tribute (tax) to the local roman admin, they would come a callin for it. Roman Law states that anyone defying roman law will be put down with extreme prejudice in the public forum. The emperor Tiberius already thought Pilate was doing a bad job in Judea so to save his own skin, Pilate crucified the so called King of the Jews. Let's deal in facts people now what his cronies said 20 and 30 years after his death.

January 23, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
  13. Randal Flag

Why can't someone ask a question with need for an apology? If they were to ask why are so many blacks in prison, and blacks are offended. This post would be full of negative post of how black people this and black people that. On the on the other hand if someoen even so much as sneeze " Ah Choo" They are acused of saying " A Jew" and are forced to apologize. Look How may post there are on this minor issue.

January 22, 2012 at 8:11 am |
    • Randal Flag

Edit: reprint
      Why can't someone ask a question without need for an apology? If they were to ask why are so many blacks in prison, and blacks were offended would anyone care. Insted, the post would be full of negative remarks of how black people this and black people that. On the othe other hand, if someoen even so much as sneezes " Ah Choo" They are acused of saying " A Jew" and are forced to apologize. Look How may post there are on this minor issue.

January 22, 2012 at 10:48 am |
  14. the Pope

God killed Jesus, it was the reason he was invented. Whoever killed Jesus was fulfilling Gods will just like all the others who kill in his name to follow his commands.

January 21, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
    • Erik

I was driving on the Interstate and saw a large billboard that said..."Having Problems??? Call Jesus." it listed an 800 number to call. When I returned home I couldn't believe my eyes...there was a Hispanic man cutting my lawn.

January 25, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
  15. g silas

How does it sound to you when you overhear somewhere people saying, 'Its the Americans who murdered Abraham Lincoln' or like what they say in Chile, 'Its the Americans who murdered Salvador Allende'.

January 21, 2012 at 6:46 pm |
  16. g silas

It is a known fact that Jews in collaboration with the Romans, or vice versa killed Jesus.But we should not forget that it is the Jews who brought Christianity to us the Gentiles.

January 21, 2012 at 6:36 pm |
  17. Snap

Seems to me this poll was intended to bring out the fact that the Jews didn't kill Jesus. Even if the Bible were true, it specifically says the High Priests of that time had him executed for blasphemy. By a person participating in this poll and choosing Jews, they would then be brought to a greater understanding when the next day they found out they picked the wrong answer. I truly don't see why anyone should be so uptight about their ethnicity that they'd take offense to something so small.

January 21, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
    • Beth

Historically this belief has caused the deaths of many Jews for centuries so it isn't something that people take so lightly. You can read about pogroms and passion plays, etc.

January 25, 2012 at 8:59 pm |
  18. ALBERT

Albert Einstein: God is a Product of Human Weakness
    The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this.

if this being is omnipotent, then every occurrence, including every human action, every human thought, and every human feeling and aspiration is also His work; how is it possible to think of holding men responsible for their deeds and thoughts before such an almighty Being? In giving out punishment and rewards He would to a certain extent be passing judgment on Himself. How can this be combined with the goodness and righteousness ascribed to Him?

January 21, 2012 at 1:26 pm |
    • Teeni

Just shut up. Einstein was a pompous idiot.

January 21, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
    • Muneef

Hmm. Strange I thought he was a Jew...!?

January 22, 2012 at 2:33 pm |
    • Kleb

Righto, teeni. Einstein was an idiot.

January 24, 2012 at 6:23 pm |
  19. Bumper (In Spirit and Truth)

God is real. Heaven is real.

January 21, 2012 at 1:21 pm |
  20. erik123

I think the entire concept of religion is whacky. Its caused too many wars and bloodshed for it to be taken seriously by rational individuals. I understand that people need it to lean on during times of hardship and uncertainty, but the whole idea of accepting impossible stories as truth based solely on faith seems very dangerous. Its as if people suspend their reason when they jump into religion. Come on it doesn't make sense; all of civilization did not arise from just two people, Moses didn't collect two of all the animals on earth in a small boat, and people who die don't come back from the dead.

January 20, 2012 at 10:09 pm |
    • Snap

It was Noah's ark, not Moses, but yeah I agree with you. The dimensions for this boat are even given, and you could easily see that there is no way one of each animal was fitting on that boat, much less a pair of each, and 7 pairs of each of the clean ones. It just wasn't that big of a boat, and every animal that walks on dry soil or flies in the sky is an extremely large amount of animals. To to any zoo, they don't have nearly every animal and they have to have massive complexes for house the animals.

January 21, 2012 at 4:11 pm |