home
RSS
What happens when candidates called by God drop out?
Kelly Oxford's tweet from Wednesday.
January 5th, 2012

What happens when candidates called by God drop out?

By Stephen Walsh, CNN

On Wednesday, blogger and sitcom writer Kelly Oxford sent a tweet about the Republican race for the presidency that got a lot of folks asking: Is this God’s idea of a joke?

Oxford, whose Twitter feed was named by TIME magazine one of the 140 best of 2011, wrote, “Cain, Perry, Bachmann all claimed God told them to run for President, and all are out of the race. God is hilarious.”

It’s been reported that Herman Cain, Rick Perry, Michele Bachmann and Rick Santorum have all suggested that God called on them to enter the presidential race.

But here we are: Cain’s out. Bachmann’s out.

After returning to Texas to “reassess” his campaign, Perry announced he’s not throwing in the towel. Judging by his poor showing in the Iowa caucuses and the debates so far, however, many political experts think it’s just a matter of time.

The only one with supposed divine guidance who’s still in the race is Santorum.

So what gives? Did the candidates misread God’s supposed message? Does the defeat of a divinely-inspired candidate necessarily contradict a message from God?

We want to hear form you. What do you think?

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Uncategorized

soundoff (1,906 Responses)
  1. M Fischer

"Called by God" to enter a race? Many professional therapists I know would classify such persons as having auditory hallucinations, and be possibly psychotic. Does this describe Republican candidates? Not necessarily, but I think most of them are infected by a highly inflated sense of self-importance, another possible psychiatric diagnosis being Megalomania.

January 5, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
  2. Louis

OMG……”to use the modern day vernacular.”
    It seems the right wing extreme does not want to elect a president or even a leader. They truly would like to elect a pastor. I hope they realize they are in the wrong country. It is however amazing that we accept such insanity. Imagine this; an American candidate saying “Allah spoke to me and told me to run for the highest office in the world”? Or; forget God, choose for yourself, elect me because I communicate the facts in a true and honest manner. God, please help us!!

January 5, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
    • Fookin' Prawn

God save us from people who believe they're doing God's work...

January 5, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  3. Edward

"It’s been reported that Herman Cain, Rick Perry, Michele Bachmann and Rick Santorum have all suggested that God called on them to enter the presidential race." In other words someone heard that someone else said it was suggested by someone that God called these people to enter the race. Based on that they are trying to make a religious issue out of this. In reality no one has even been quoted as saying God told them to run for office and if a person believes in God it does not mean God tells them to do anything. This is atheists making a lot of noise and it is always amazing how atheists that don't believe in God get so upset about anyone that does and hates anyone that does. It is obvious who has the problem.

January 5, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
    • derp

Bachmann quote on running for Congress. "God then called me to run for the United States Congress"

Bachmann quote on running for President. "Well, every decision that I make, I pray about, as does my husband, and I can tell you, yes, I've had that calling and that tugging on my heart that this is the right thing to do,"

Are you stupid? Or do you just choose not to read what she says?

Herman Cain on running for president "And when I finally realized that it was God saying that this is what I needed to do, I was like Moses. 'You've got the wrong man, Lord. Are you sure?'"

Are you stupid? Or do you just choose not to read what he says?

January 5, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  4. Tumbleweed

God is great, God is good, let us thank him for these fools. Amen!

January 5, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
  5. JesusLives

I just wish I could find my ass with both hands.

January 5, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
  6. GH_Velma

This whole "God Told Me To Run For President" thing isn't news to me. Lots of people who run for any political office, especially the Presidency, claim God spoke to them and told them to throw their hat into the ring. And when things don't work out, they just HAVE to blame God. Just tell the truth and admit that you failed because of your shortcomings.

January 5, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
  7. SurelyUjest

Since God obviously wanted all 4 of these candidates to run for president but knows only one can win then it is a shoe in, the evangelical Catholic will crush the heathen cult Mormon guy. Then he will make sure he beats the slave/protestant running for the evil liberals. It must be that the other 3 got gods word out to the masses while running, Let's see, Gays shouldn't get married, Women have no rights to their own bodies, any one but Christians believe the wrong god, Muslims in general are terrorists. Notice Gay got a capital letter G and god didn't? Anyone? yup Gays exist and god was created by man to explain our fears and make us more secure with a lie.

January 5, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
  8. tamarinds

God told me to kill my firstborn. Does that make it acceptable?

January 5, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
    • Edward

In your case it would.

January 5, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
  9. Gary Mc

‎"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." Lucius Annaeus Seneca (often known simply as Seneca, or Seneca the Younger) (ca. 4 BC-AD 65) was a Roman Stoic philosopher, statesman, dramatist, and in one work humorist, of the Silver Age of Latin literature

January 5, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
  10. MikeMazzla

Why even ask this question. Forgetting that there is no God..none of these candidates actually believe God spoke to them...they use that as a way to reel in the uneducated religious right. Its a technique that works for a percentage of those who are ignorant enough to believe in God

January 5, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
  11. Olde Farte from Fairfield

Ask Pat Robertson. God has told him who the next president is going to be. He also said that God told him there will be a severe financial crisis in the world if Obama is re-elected. Wow! At least he knows we will have a Republican president. Oh my! I must have had too much cheer over New Year's Eve.

January 5, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
  12. kuewa

Obviously, even God needs a good laugh now and then. And what could be better than a bunch of political clowns?

January 5, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
  13. Mike

If they is a God he wouldn't ask you to run for office. You'd just do it. Frankly if God told me he asked someone to run for office I wouldn't vote for that person. The reason? Frankly God's mucked up enough of this world.

January 5, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
  14. Rob

God will NEVER send you unprepared to complete the task, so if you say "God told me" and then you fail to complete the task, somebody is lying (here is a hint) its not God !

January 5, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
    • MikeMazzla

Dude that comment is as dopey as believing in God.

January 5, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
  15. B-real

It's hard to believe people who actually want to lead this country could go public with a statement as ridiculous as "God wanted me to run." It's one thing to be grounded in religion and have faith but quite another to be an idiot. Unfortunately, many of the Republican candidates are just that - idiots.

January 5, 2012 at 4:05 pm |
  16. Kebos

God asked me to run too and I'm Canadian! I pointed that out to her and she said "I don't hear you......" which I thought was petty given her omni-ness.

So I got her attention by throwing some raw meat on my BBQ. I reiterated the obvious about not being a US national to which she replied "Bookkeeping error on my part. My apology".

So now I am wondering if I might get the call when the Canadian elections come around. I'm forever hopeful.

January 5, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
  17. Father, Son and Holy G.

It's true. I (We) told them to run.

I (We) actually tell everyone to run. Only a few hear me (us) and decide to do it.

If everyone ran, now that would be f-u-n-n-y!

January 5, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
  18. momoya

It's tough to tell with that god-fella, though. It's just like him to tell people to run for president just for the "butterfly effect" of their running and then dropping out causing something else to occur. I can hear the xians, now: "Well, Gawd didn't want those people to win, he just wanted them to run because of something they said that caused something else that caused something else that caused something else.... Glory be! Hallelujah! He shore does work in mysterious ways!"

January 5, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
    • momoya

You don't have a clue what the theory of evolution is, do you? Evolution is proved thousands and thousands of times every day by biologists and scientists the world over. Why do we need to develop new vaccines every year for the flu? It evolved during the past year... duh.

January 5, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
  19. God Fearing

Wow- I can't believe that people actually think we decended from a bunch of apes. I challenge those who believe that God does not exist to research first. T^here are many artifacts that have been discovered that account for many things in the bible. Go to church and ask questions. You don't have to "believe" to go to church to get answers. Then, after you have one your research, you will be able a to make a statement that from your own work instead of other people's mouths.

God may have called them to the presidential election.... no one will ever know besides themselves and God.

January 5, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
    • tamarinds

Wow- I can't believe that people actually believe we were created from mud dredged up from a riverside.

January 5, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
    • nomomrnicekyle

I like how you challenge others to do research when it is clear that you have done absolutely none. Science is real research, asking a priest about God is not. Science has proven facts, which you have clearly chosen to ignore in favor of religious hearsay.

January 5, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
    • Read More Books

Amen to that... and start your research with carbon dating.

January 5, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
    • Fookin' Prawn

I don't know, I heard some artifacts were planted by the devil. Wait...those were dino bones.

January 5, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
    • Cassie

Wow. I can believe people in this day and age still think "God" is real! Hahahahaha!!

January 5, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
    • Hawk

Wow really you don’t be live in evolution i guess all those scientists with their empirical evidence don’t matter. Only what the bible says. Maybe you should do some research where the stories of the bible came from check out the roman god Mithras

January 5, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
  20. Glades2

First of all, blamepheous comments like the one in the photo shoud NOT be posted by CNN – God will tell a person to do something, but often we think God is telling us something when it is our own desire that is doing the talking. A decision like this will affect millions and even billions of people, and is no laughing matter to God – again, CNN needs to be responsible and respectful and remove the blasmephous comment, even if it's owner is an atheist...

January 5, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
    • tamarinds

Yeah, too bad we don't live in a place like Saudi Arabia, where blasphemy can get you stoned!! If only..

January 5, 2012 at 4:05 pm |
    • Aezel

"CNN needs to be responsible and respectful and remove the blasmephous comment"

No see that is the great part about America where we have freedom of religion, we absolutely DO NOT have to be respectful of your schizophrenic barbaric fantasies, and we have every right to not have to remove anything we say from your sensitive eyes.

January 5, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
    • Fookin' Prawn

Well, the whole free speech thing...I know it should only apply to things YOU agree with, but...

January 5, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

Filthy, blasphemous atheists need some good old fashioned, wholesome bible verses!

Revelation 2:22
      "So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely, unless they repent of her ways. I will strike her children dead."

Numbers 31:17
      "Now kill all the boys [innocent kids]. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man."

Psalm 137:8-9
      "O Daughter of Babylon, doomed to destruction, happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us- he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks."

Don't you feel happier and more pure having read the uplifting Word of God?

January 5, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
    • Fookin' Prawn

@Doc – I feel more wholesome, now.

January 5, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
    • ButtCrumb

Glades2 is trying desperately to spell blasphemous. Did you think that if you spelled it differently twice you might get it right? Instead you write "blamephous" and "blasmephous", lol.

January 5, 2012 at 5:35 pm |