home
RSS
What happens when candidates called by God drop out?
Kelly Oxford's tweet from Wednesday.
January 5th, 2012

What happens when candidates called by God drop out?

By Stephen Walsh, CNN

On Wednesday, blogger and sitcom writer Kelly Oxford sent a tweet about the Republican race for the presidency that got a lot of folks asking: Is this God’s idea of a joke?

Oxford, whose Twitter feed was named by TIME magazine one of the 140 best of 2011, wrote, “Cain, Perry, Bachmann all claimed God told them to run for President, and all are out of the race. God is hilarious.”

It’s been reported that Herman Cain, Rick Perry, Michele Bachmann and Rick Santorum have all suggested that God called on them to enter the presidential race.

But here we are: Cain’s out. Bachmann’s out.

After returning to Texas to “reassess” his campaign, Perry announced he’s not throwing in the towel. Judging by his poor showing in the Iowa caucuses and the debates so far, however, many political experts think it’s just a matter of time.

The only one with supposed divine guidance who’s still in the race is Santorum.

So what gives? Did the candidates misread God’s supposed message? Does the defeat of a divinely-inspired candidate necessarily contradict a message from God?

We want to hear form you. What do you think?

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Uncategorized

soundoff (1,906 Responses)
  1. CdnJim

IF God isn't going to help the Leafs win the Stanley Cup in 44 years... why would he give a crap about the American Preidency? Let's get real folks. Even God must have priorities. Let him work out things with the hockey gods before he gets embroiled in your penny-ante politics.

January 5, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
    • Mikey

That made me laugh outloud. My sympathy is with you – I am an Oilers fan.

January 26, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
  2. Steve

All fools kissing up to the conservative right!

Steve
    shens@bce-demo.com

January 5, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
    • Fookin' Prawn

Oh, dude, you DID NOT just post your actual email, did you?

January 5, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
  3. Ray

God told me to run, the people told me to run, my family told me to run or any other stupid excuse for running is common for politicians. Maybe a guy that just says "I want to run because I believe that I am the best candidate" Will be less hypocritical.

Later a simple " The voters hate me" will do.

January 5, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  4. Johnnnn

There ain's no god, just egotistical self-talk.

January 5, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  5. Ron

These republican candidates are all egotistical opportunists who would say and do anything to gain power. Anyone who believes that God actually "called" these miscreants to run for President is a fool. End of story.

January 5, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  6. rick

god has very poor taste. The clown also doesn't know much about sports. I've seen tons of jezus freeks praying their hearts out on many a sports field only to get trounced. Open your eyes now kiddies, and take your blinders off. You don't need a degree in whatever to know that god is simply a concept. But you still ask "well then how did we get here"? Think...try real hard and just take your time and think. Don't be afraid of what friends, relatives or your peers might think......YOU just think......for yourself. Here's a start.......god is a concept. For starters as the late great John Lennon once said..."Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try". Discard the tooth fairy, the easter bunny, god, santa claus, ghosts......etc...etc...etc. Have a nice day.

January 5, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
  7. KH

I totally agree with lavarocker! They are just fools to think that people are going to believe. Even some liars are smarter than these guys because they try to make their lies believable.

January 5, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  8. cedaly1968

God called back, sorry, wrong number. It's kind of funny, I pray as often if not more often than most Americans. I have never heard God say a word. No booming thundering voice, no burning bush, no white dove. But in a moment of meditation, silence, reverence, I can hear myself pretty clearly and what I think is right. I try not to get myself confused with God. The other thing I find interesting is that if God called them to run, why doesn't he call them to tell them to stop executing people? Or to show compassion? I guess being POTUS was a really important call. Get a grip candidates, NO ONE IS BUYING IT!

January 5, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  9. chill

Well, either God thought those three needed to gain a little humility or the voice in their head has a different origin that the Lord. If it's the latter, then there are treatments for that. If the former, then I guess that they didn't pay close enough attention. He told them to run, not that they would actually become President.

January 5, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  10. joann

Correction: Rick Perry's wife said God told her he should run, and he is still in. Reverend Al Sharptons words of wisdom: Be very wary of people who converse with God (my paraphrase, but the idea is correct) !

January 5, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  11. Roger Pence

This is all a simple misunderstanding. What God surely said to these collective heads of knuckle is, "Listen to the Replacements.""

January 5, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
    • WordUpToo

Ha ha good one Roger P! Best chuckle of the day!

January 5, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
  12. thoughtman17

I am a left leaning voter and have a strong belief in G-d, and hearing G-d if we choose to listen. I appreciate the candidates following their inner guidance. The big plan only the big one knows. Yet, all voices in a democracy speaking give us all a chance to think, weight our priorities and values, and hopefully choose with the wisdom of our convictions. Listening to G-d does not mean one will win, only serve a greater purpose.

January 5, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  13. ralph davis

Let me know when someone discovers a drawing of

Let me know when someone discovers a prehistoric drawing of T-Rex on a cave wall.

January 5, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  14. 2tired2care

Maybe it was really satin telling them (in disguise) to run.

January 5, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
    • KC

Satan wearing 'satin'.... what a vision....

January 5, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
  15. NOT MY CHAIR

what a stupid question to ask.... how about they thought that it would be a good political maneuver. its really simple people who believe in god are easily duped i hate to say it. hence the republicans being able to say they believe in Jesus and Christianity but hate socialism. the biggest question you should be asking is how a Mormon got to be leading the GOP. god is not real but he told me to say that

January 5, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  16. Ben

God is a prankster. He tells some people to vote for the GOP, and look at the clowns we now have in the Congress. It is hilarious!

January 5, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  17. Dennis1020

This is less about God than it is about these crazies competing for the Republican nomination and the people who would support them.

January 5, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  18. Sharon

My father was a "administrator" over numerous small churches in our southern evangelical circle. As a child, I sat through countless introductory sermons at these churches by enthusiastic ministers young and old hoping to be the one to fill the recent pulpit vacancy.

Even at the age of 4, I can remember: A.) they all prayed about it and B.) God told each and every one of them he was to be the "annointed one," which of course replaced the previous " annointees."

I always wondered why God couldn't make up his mind.

But maybe he does have a wicked sense of humor.

January 5, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
    • Johnnnn

Or maybe it was just ego-driven wishful thinking.

January 5, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
    • bob

Dear Sharon: the bottom line is that......man has made God in his own image!

January 5, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
  19. Curtis

It just goes to show that the reasoning conscious mind may merely be a playground for something more primitive to wander in.

January 5, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
  20. Lee Bredeaux

That God of ours – He is such a jokester! Alsways messin' with the politicians heads- yes run for president – no -stop don't run for president. You know I LOVE GOD he has such a great sense of humor!!! He is the original PUNK'D star!!

January 5, 2012 at 4:19 pm |