home
RSS
What happens when candidates called by God drop out?
Kelly Oxford's tweet from Wednesday.
January 5th, 2012

What happens when candidates called by God drop out?

By Stephen Walsh, CNN

On Wednesday, blogger and sitcom writer Kelly Oxford sent a tweet about the Republican race for the presidency that got a lot of folks asking: Is this God’s idea of a joke?

Oxford, whose Twitter feed was named by TIME magazine one of the 140 best of 2011, wrote, “Cain, Perry, Bachmann all claimed God told them to run for President, and all are out of the race. God is hilarious.”

It’s been reported that Herman Cain, Rick Perry, Michele Bachmann and Rick Santorum have all suggested that God called on them to enter the presidential race.

But here we are: Cain’s out. Bachmann’s out.

After returning to Texas to “reassess” his campaign, Perry announced he’s not throwing in the towel. Judging by his poor showing in the Iowa caucuses and the debates so far, however, many political experts think it’s just a matter of time.

The only one with supposed divine guidance who’s still in the race is Santorum.

So what gives? Did the candidates misread God’s supposed message? Does the defeat of a divinely-inspired candidate necessarily contradict a message from God?

We want to hear form you. What do you think?

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Uncategorized

soundoff (1,906 Responses)
  1. Dan

... and the earth is flat.

January 5, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
  2. Joe

Aaaaaaaaannnnd?????? nobody told them they would win............................they were just told to get in race, They present a viewpoint , a sector of the population. so, what was the question????

January 5, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
  3. Steve

What, are you all saying that God is so limited that he can't direct more than one person to run for President? Or are you saying that God's leadership guarantees a win? “For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    neither are your ways my ways,declares the LORD. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isa. 55: 8-9

January 5, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
    • derp

What, are you all saying that bigfoot is so limited that he can't direct more than one person to run for President? Or are you saying that Bigfoot's leadership guarantees a win? “For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
      neither are your ways my ways,declares Sasquatch. As Atlantis is higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." Sasquatch Code. 55: 8-9

No difference

January 5, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
    • Andrew

when God tells people to run and then they lose, that tells me that maybe, just maybe...there is no god and these people are lunatics...

January 5, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
    • george6090

Steve, you can go to the bible and find a verse that will fit anything and everything you want to say or your point of view. That is the problem with using religion, God and the bible to justify what you want to do or say. There is always something you can use for going to war, killing your neighbor, enslaving people, discriminating, beating up on the gays, you want it, it is there.

January 5, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
    • non-bible-guy

Gee, someone who wins arguments by quoting scripture. I never begrudge anyone of their religious beliefs, just don't try to pawn it off on me. I am not a Christian. I never wanted to be a Christian, do not have any desire to be a Christian, and quite frankly, I do not care about politics. The only thing I care about politicians, do not try to "GOVERN" me with any of your Judeo-Christian dogma. What I believe is personal and none of anyone else's business, especially those who are Christian. If the founding fathers wanted a Christian nation, we would have one. There is a separation of Church and State, and that has worked well for this nation the past 235 years.

January 5, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
  4. Molly Brown

Politicians will say anything to get elected. Since the Tea baggers and fundamentalists make up a large segment of the Republican party, it's almost a given that their party's candidate have divine inspiration. I wonder if God told Herman Cain to go forth and multiple? Or to spread his love to places far and wide. I am a registered Green Party member. I will probably vote for Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum or even Ron Paul. I don't like the fact Obama let our national debt rise higher while in office. I don't like the fact we allow people to enter our country illegally, polluting our cities and ruining our national forests with drug crops. We need someone in office who uses logic and common sense.

January 5, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
  5. dodinyc

This is God's way of punishing them for using His name for their personal game. What they are do9oing is a direct violation of the 3rd commandment.

January 5, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
    • dodinyc

"gain" Sorry!

January 5, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
  6. Dave

God is just messin' wit 'em.

January 5, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
  7. GENE

HERE'S AN INTERESTING QUOTE I HAVE IN MY OFFICE,"I DISTRUST THOSE PEOPLE WHO KNOW SO WELL WHAT GOD WANTS THEM TO DO,BECAUSE I NOTICE IT ALWAYS COINCIDES WITH THEIR OWN DESIRES". SUSAN B ANTHONY. IT SEEMS THERE IS AN ABUNDANCE OF PEOPLE TO DISTRUST THESE DAYS.

January 5, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
  8. Jesus was a space alien

They are just dyslexic. They were called by Dog.

January 5, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • David Mitchell

You people are hilarious! God may or may not have told these people to run, but he surely didn't tell any of them they were going to actually win. The Lord has sent many people into the world with failure at something being their purpose.

When God told Isaiah to give the Israelites his prophesies (all of which came true), He didn't tell him that they would listen or believe any of them.

January 5, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
    • derp

You people are hilarious! Bigfoot may or may not have told these people to run, but he surely didn't tell any of them they were going to actually win. The Sasquatch has sent many people into the world with failure at something being their purpose.

When Bigfoot told santa Claus to give the Martians his prophesies (all of which came true), He didn't tell him that they would listen or believe any of them.

January 5, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
  9. Ancienttheory

The more religious the candidate the less likely i will vote for them. So many people believe in a god that has never been seen. Jesus died almost 2000 years ago. I am going to bury several super man comics. one day it will be the new bible.

January 5, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
  10. Dennis

No God did not call them, their just crazy, Admit it.

January 5, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
  11. dina

This is such a joke as if a god if it existed would bother with these little people. Do they really believ3e themselves?

January 5, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
  12. CMM

My grandmother often said, "true Christians don't have to tell you they are Christians, you can tell by the way they conduct their daily lives."
    I am very leery of people saying that they are Christians! Usually it is being said to get you to believe the lies they are trying to get you to believe.

January 5, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • Common Sense

Some of the "ugliest" people I know profess to be Christians and are always asking others if they are Christians as well. Often this statement is just to get people to agree with them. One friends mother always used the "God told me" statement when she wanted to win an argument.

January 8, 2012 at 8:34 am |
  13. streetdude66

Maybe what God actually said was for them to RUN FROM politics. Just sayin

January 5, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
  14. Drew

Yet another reason why religion and politics should not be mingled. There are a lot of great reasons to become a public servant. "God said I should" is not one of them.

January 5, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
  15. Reason Will Prevail?

What do we think? Isn't it obvious that most of them are just lying?

January 5, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
  16. KH

Republican candidates are just shameless oportunistic fools. Period.

January 5, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
  17. Wall Street

Nothing they have said rises above the 2nd grader's "My god can beat up your god" sing song so this is just noise. To say you factored in faith and prayer to decide to run – fine. To claim a "burning bush" revelation that being the next president was your destiny is apostasy.

January 5, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
  18. Mark

Did the candidates pander to gullible religious voters by suggesting their decision was faith based? DING DING DING!

January 5, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
  19. kodiak7

If tea party republicans took over this country, It would become like a christian Iran. They would tell us what to wear, how to cut our hair, what to study, what to say or not say, when and where to pray, and control everything we do. If you didn't, you'd be imprisoned or shot. A religious dictatorship is evil, whether Christian or Muslim. Under our democracy, christian fanatics like the tea party can cause havoc, but have no chance to taking over our county. I thank our forefathers for our democracy.

January 5, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  20. Bettejo Dux

Read Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion. God & politics? Why not Mickey Mouse & politics? For goodness sake's get the reliigiious loons out of politics.

Penn & Teller say:, "The god Delusion is smart, compassionate, & true like ice. like fire. If this book doesn't change the word, we're all screwed." Hey, Pat Rob'em'son spoke with God. about the next election. Give me a break.

Peace and love bettejo