home
RSS
What happens when candidates called by God drop out?
Kelly Oxford's tweet from Wednesday.
January 5th, 2012

What happens when candidates called by God drop out?

By Stephen Walsh, CNN

On Wednesday, blogger and sitcom writer Kelly Oxford sent a tweet about the Republican race for the presidency that got a lot of folks asking: Is this God’s idea of a joke?

Oxford, whose Twitter feed was named by TIME magazine one of the 140 best of 2011, wrote, “Cain, Perry, Bachmann all claimed God told them to run for President, and all are out of the race. God is hilarious.”

It’s been reported that Herman Cain, Rick Perry, Michele Bachmann and Rick Santorum have all suggested that God called on them to enter the presidential race.

But here we are: Cain’s out. Bachmann’s out.

After returning to Texas to “reassess” his campaign, Perry announced he’s not throwing in the towel. Judging by his poor showing in the Iowa caucuses and the debates so far, however, many political experts think it’s just a matter of time.

The only one with supposed divine guidance who’s still in the race is Santorum.

So what gives? Did the candidates misread God’s supposed message? Does the defeat of a divinely-inspired candidate necessarily contradict a message from God?

We want to hear form you. What do you think?

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Uncategorized

soundoff (1,906 Responses)
  1. 21k

god is much too busy helping various football teams win their games to get involved in politics.

January 5, 2012 at 7:17 pm |
    • God

Except for last week. I had some one-on-one time with my main man, Pat Robertson. I revealed all sorts of stuff to him. Like who the next president will be. Check it on YouTube.

January 5, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
  2. partysstink

I guess God didnt call them loud enough. If you make such a clame it better be true or you will be exposed for the idiot you are.

January 5, 2012 at 7:17 pm |
    • God

I use Sprint. My son, Jesus H. Christ, keeps telling me to switch to Verizon. Like Samuel, I can keep asking them "Do you hear me now?" or something. I guess they have better coverage. Kids these days, you know – always telling the parents they are behind the times. I may be older than the universe, but I'm not out-of-touch.

January 5, 2012 at 7:25 pm |
  3. ariveria

last time huckabee won in iowa.

this upset god so he told several candidates to run. this way it would split the vote and the candidate god really wanted would win.

ps cain was told to run so god could expose him as a hypocrite

January 5, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
    • God

Totally wrong, ariveria. I wanted more to run cause I want one of them to get their own "Reality" show.

January 5, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
  4. hans

Oh please CNN. Why stir the pot.

January 5, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
    • Fred Evil

Because it's funny to watch xtian extremists backpedal, and desperately try to justify their claims. they never can, but it's fun to watch!

January 5, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
    • God

You don't stir pot. I created pot so you could smoke it for medical necessities. Geez.

January 5, 2012 at 7:28 pm |
  5. Traveler33

GOD should never be deemed as a 'jokester' when it comes to politics. It is the politicians trying to address a crowd who have 'a form' of devotion but fall short of true devotion. GOD is not involved in politics of this world...HIS Son himself said 'my kingdom is not of this world'...so how could GOD take sides or call on a politician to run for office if HIS kingdom has no ties to any earthly government?

January 5, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
    • TrueBlue42

So, in other words, your god has no interest in human affairs?

January 5, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
    • God

@ TrueBlood: Curse you, Trueblood. I LOVE affairs. Look at how many the Republicans have. Those fat, old white men need to buy their tail somewhere.

January 5, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
    • 21k

blue, if i were god, i would be spending my time visiting the various universes, shooting thru black holes at the speed of light, firing giant asteroids at planets to watch them explode. like going to a god-disney world. not watching daytime soap-operas of human life.

January 5, 2012 at 7:23 pm |
    • KC

TrueBlue, I think you got it!!!!
      'Christians' have a tendancy to pick and choose what in the bible they want to remember.... that's one small section they seem to forget about. Another is about not judging lest they be judged.... being judgemental and condeming is a god given right in many's eyes..... sad, very sad....

January 5, 2012 at 7:25 pm |
  6. fred swisher

My parents are 80 years old and until recently have been life long republicans. Now they're independents much like I bet many other not so die hard -former- republicans through out the USA. I say – you can teach old dogs new tricks!

January 5, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
  7. pete

Saying that you have been called by God to run for President puts you in exactly the same league and deluded mental state as a person who tries to excuse a crime by saying that the devil made him or her do it. Everyone should be as scared of these people as many of us are of other religious zealots from other countries that we demonize and denounce all the time.The conclusion that any reasonable person might come to is God also apparently tells people to beat their children and no sane person believes that. Facts and track record folks. Not God told me to do this or that.

January 5, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
  8. AJ

We want to hear "Form" you??? You're funnier!

January 5, 2012 at 7:13 pm |
  9. Scientist

How come God never tells these idiots to STFU and go home.

January 5, 2012 at 7:12 pm |
    • God

I never tell people to "Stuff Twinkies in French Underwear". what the hey are you talking about?

January 5, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
    • Fookin' Prawn

Thanks, God. I'll never see that acronym the same way again.

January 5, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
    • TrueBlue42

@God: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

January 5, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
  10. Marge

Well instead of running to be the candidate for president if anyone said God talked to them they should be running from the men in the white coats with a net. Any other time they would.

January 5, 2012 at 7:12 pm |
  11. JimNasium

In fits of excitement they all interrupted God in mid-sentence. He was asking them to run....
    ...for coffee.

January 5, 2012 at 7:12 pm |
  12. God

I don't recall ever talking to them.

January 5, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
  13. Andrew

Such a weak argument, sck. Is that really the best you can do, as if the comparison hasn't already been made by a thousand angry little teenage atheists?

January 5, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • God

Them teenage atheists are smart little cookies, aint they, Andy. Gawd, what should I do to them? Turn them into pillars of salt? Flood the whole earth?

January 5, 2012 at 7:13 pm |
    • Andrew

Just take their first borns, God! That should suffice. ;D

January 5, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
    • God

Ask your priest about that. Those guys seem to get it on lots and know the subject, even if they get the gender wrong a lot.

January 5, 2012 at 7:31 pm |
    • Jesus

Aw, come on dad... that's just sooooo old school. How about a Stoning Flash Mob? Hit their Iphones with 'Flash Mob at...... bring rocks!"

January 5, 2012 at 7:31 pm |
    • Andrew

"Andrew, I'd also take your first borns but you'll need to have se.x first to have any. "

I thought we were friends...

January 5, 2012 at 7:34 pm |
  14. J Epting

we people of faith abuse God often. we like to say He told us something when it's really just a cool way of getting other believers on our side. however, there are cases (not saying this is one of them) when God will call us to do something that seems irrational. perhaps God wants me to run for Senate just to bring another view to the race, though He knows i'll ultimately lose. i do think those occasions happen in our lives. we often must fight losing battles out of principle. however, as stated at the start, we people of faith like to abuse this "call from God" often. in my opinion, it's abuse.

January 5, 2012 at 7:10 pm |
  15. God

Folks,

God here. Apparently I need to clear the air. I did, in fact, tell all these nut jobs to run. Just not for presidency. I told them they need to "run down to a nearby shrink and get some help". It's as if only the delusional hear my words, and they always screw up the translation.

January 5, 2012 at 7:07 pm |
    • Entil'za

I think you are using a username that is above your paygrade.

January 5, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • God

@ Enchilada: I am the ultimate power in this universe. I do as I wish.

January 5, 2012 at 7:17 pm |
    • Entil'za

Sure sure trolly.

January 5, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
    • yeap that's right

Thanks for the laugh...seriously. 🙂

January 5, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
    • an84u

I guess God kicked them out, after calling them. All Methodists know once in grace isn't always in grace. Besides, after God told Pat Robertson the real winner, God must've realized he'd made a mistake. So Perry went "OOPS" & Botchman turned gaily aside & Cain's member got caught in his zipper for the ump-teenth time. After all, God sometimes plays funny..that's why God so fully favors the basturd GoPee Tea baggots, even when they sometimes lick the wrong sweet spot. I say beware the whole sorry senario.

January 5, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
    • Snow

"I think you are using a username that is above your paygrade."

But he is doing a better job than the supposedly actual one.. let him.. 🙂

January 5, 2012 at 7:25 pm |
    • God

Hey, Snow even I can't make everyone's fav team win all the time. And that Tebow guy gives me the creeps with all his kisses to my backside.

January 5, 2012 at 7:34 pm |
  16. Bible Bob, Knight of Infallabillibabbity

You atheists just do not accept that God has a ripping good sense of humor! God called on Christine O'Donnell and Sarah Palin to run, and if those aren't cosmic level jokes, I don't know what is. God is just funning us before he brings out his real candidate: Charlie Sheen.

Sheen/Lohan 2012 – because America deserves the leaders who are every bit as whacko as the voters.

January 5, 2012 at 7:06 pm |
    • God

Thank you, Bible Bob. It's nice to have a friend out there. I'll give you all the virgins you wish in heaven.

January 5, 2012 at 7:08 pm |
    • marcus_d

While a number of Americans may deserve a Sheen/Lohan ticket, perhaps other Americans deserve a little better. Of course, this begs the question of "How do we attempt to deserve better?"

January 5, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
  17. matt

Nothing will happen because religious people don't THINK about anything that makes sense or challenges their faith. They dismiss it and keep talking to the voice in their head.

January 5, 2012 at 7:06 pm |
  18. LV

G(d may be a child with a magnifying glass, for all we know.

January 5, 2012 at 7:06 pm |
    • God

I prefer to think of myself more as a Tom Cruise in that volleyball movie he made with Val Kilmer. I think it had a bunch of jets in it or something.

January 5, 2012 at 7:10 pm |
  19. Cullinvest

Many people with faith find God in many ways and in many places. Closed minded people can't see. The force we call God works in mysterious ways, and it is not for this joke of a news service to judge.

January 5, 2012 at 7:06 pm |
    • matt

Its not that we can't see, its that we choose to see reality rather than overlay reality with fantasy...

January 5, 2012 at 7:08 pm |
    • God

Actually, I am disproportionately found in prison. Why? Because when so many people leave, they report having found me while they were there.

January 5, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • Snow

Right.. so mysterious that anything ever attributed to god can also be explained by coincidence.. How many people do you think pray wholeheartedly everyday and how many of those do you think get answered? and how many can not be explained as normal occurrences and coincidences? Ever heard of devout amputee who prays hard everyday be granted his wish? Doesn't god love him as much as the others? why can't he heal the poor guy?

Besides did you ever open your mind to think about alternate explanations for things without the "god dunnit" argument? who is the closed minded ones here?

January 5, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
    • 21k

yes, gawd works in strange ways. do you think he was working thru hitler?

January 5, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
    • Pete

The problem with an open mind is that it lets anything in.

January 5, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
  20. Patrick

Maybe God likes to hedge his bets? The more horses you have in the race...

January 5, 2012 at 7:04 pm |
    • God

I love horses. Stop turning me on. Pray instead, darnit.

January 5, 2012 at 7:11 pm |