home
RSS
What happens when candidates called by God drop out?
Kelly Oxford's tweet from Wednesday.
January 5th, 2012

What happens when candidates called by God drop out?

By Stephen Walsh, CNN

On Wednesday, blogger and sitcom writer Kelly Oxford sent a tweet about the Republican race for the presidency that got a lot of folks asking: Is this God’s idea of a joke?

Oxford, whose Twitter feed was named by TIME magazine one of the 140 best of 2011, wrote, “Cain, Perry, Bachmann all claimed God told them to run for President, and all are out of the race. God is hilarious.”

It’s been reported that Herman Cain, Rick Perry, Michele Bachmann and Rick Santorum have all suggested that God called on them to enter the presidential race.

But here we are: Cain’s out. Bachmann’s out.

After returning to Texas to “reassess” his campaign, Perry announced he’s not throwing in the towel. Judging by his poor showing in the Iowa caucuses and the debates so far, however, many political experts think it’s just a matter of time.

The only one with supposed divine guidance who’s still in the race is Santorum.

So what gives? Did the candidates misread God’s supposed message? Does the defeat of a divinely-inspired candidate necessarily contradict a message from God?

We want to hear form you. What do you think?

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Uncategorized

soundoff (1,906 Responses)
  1. Oh really

Cain, Perry and Bachmann aren't idiots for making this claim, the fools who believe them are........God told me to write that.

January 5, 2012 at 7:53 pm |
    • God

Yeah, and I also told you to bow to me and fill my coffers. God will not suffer half-obedience, mortal.

January 5, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
    • DeeCee1000

God?. . . . .Is it true that You hate f.a.g.s? Fred and Shirley Phelps, these two of Your most beloved preachers are going around telling everybody that You told them to tell everybody that You hate gays. Well?

January 5, 2012 at 8:10 pm |
  2. marcus_d

True confession: I'm not American, although I once had a Green Card. Nevertheless, I feel, if America turns it's back on Christianity, I honestly don't know if there is a single other nation in the world that can claim to be Christianity-led. Europe has secularized. Canada, Australia and New Zealand also have largely secularized. It won't just be over for the America, it will be over for all of us. Maybe it's inappropriate to care about U.S. elections, or to comment, but then again, maybe we all have a stake in the outcome. In fact, I'm rather convinced that we all have a huge stake in the outcome. Americans often lament defending the world and making it more civilized than it would otherwise be, but I suspect that a lot of Americans failed to appreciate how much they really do save the world from chaos through their exercise of faith and their stubborn insistence on honouring God (regardless of how much the stubborness may be eroded or tarnished recently.) With some sincerity, I hope, I can say, "God Bless America!"

January 5, 2012 at 7:51 pm |
    • Jim

Thanks Marcus, I agree...

January 5, 2012 at 7:54 pm |
    • Dennis

Be a great day when America secularizes and people get over their sky fairies. Funny that America has fallen behind other countries that way. What a national embarrassment the Christians are to the US.

January 5, 2012 at 7:56 pm |
    • AthensGuy

the most christian nation in the world is the phillipines... go figure that one out...

January 5, 2012 at 7:56 pm |
    • streetsmt

Do you really think the US does these because it is a "christian" country?

January 5, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
    • Rationalist

I'm so glad you're not American. And keep the hell out. We've got more than enough wackjobs for one country.

January 5, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
    • me

Best thing I have read all day.

January 5, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
    • God

I do bless America. That's hurtful. I've given them the Kardashians, Ryan Seacrest, and the Olsen Twins.

January 5, 2012 at 8:00 pm |
    • marcus_d

Yes, the christian influence on America has always paid dividends, and the whole world has benefitted. That's not to say that the U.S. doesn't mess up. That too happens, but it doesn't erase the good that America does.

January 5, 2012 at 8:01 pm |
    • Primewonk

We are not a theocracy. Neither your god, nor any version of any other god leads us. Over the past few thousand years we have seen how well theocracies work. Sure, it's all fun and games as long as it your god who's in charge. But sooner or later, as always happens, some other god becomes more popular. And then you are as screwed as the folks you used to screw.

January 5, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
    • streetsmt

Explain to me this christian influence. What have we done that we couldn't have done in a secular way?

January 5, 2012 at 8:12 pm |
    • DeeCee1000

What are you talking about? Aren't almost all of the Latin American countries way way more religious than even the US? You're not making any sense.

January 5, 2012 at 8:13 pm |
  3. Meggie G.

Don't saddle God with your ambitions. Be ambitious, fine, but take responsibility for your endeavors.

January 5, 2012 at 7:51 pm |
    • God

Hey, Megger, don't tell 'em or I'll be outta my job.

January 5, 2012 at 7:54 pm |
  4. judith

I think God has better things to do then tell these delusional folks they should be President.

January 5, 2012 at 7:51 pm |
    • God

Dam-n right I do. I got football games to win.

January 5, 2012 at 7:53 pm |
  5. Rob

What's wrong with god.? He sent 3 to run for president. Didnt he know which one would be president? That's the last time I ask him for lottery numbers.

January 5, 2012 at 7:49 pm |
    • God

Give me more money, you jerk, and then I'll tell you the winning numbers. When will you obey, Rob?

January 5, 2012 at 7:50 pm |
  6. Jim

Actually, just because God tells someone to run for president, it doesn't mean they are going to become president. God has a lot of purposes that men haven't a clue of what they are.... just sayin'

January 5, 2012 at 7:48 pm |
    • God

Like dying. I made them to suffer and die. That's how I roll.

January 5, 2012 at 7:49 pm |
    • God

Ya well, snot like I know either. I just be rollin them dice up here and laughin at y'all when ya holler foul.

January 5, 2012 at 7:50 pm |
    • AthensGuy

there is no God. Bush said the same thing, then started two wars (one under false pretense) that caused the death of many innocents. If god exists then, he is either hilarious (as Oxford says) or he is a sadistic monster.

January 5, 2012 at 7:51 pm |
    • Rationalist

God doesn't exist. Just sayin'.

January 5, 2012 at 7:54 pm |
    • Jim

Guess you're going to find out some day

January 5, 2012 at 7:55 pm |
    • Dennis

Jim: Pascal's Wager. You lose.

January 5, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
  7. dapace

The real God knows how to spell grammar.

January 5, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
    • God

The real god knows to thrash your sarcastic pedantic supercilious ass, yo.

January 5, 2012 at 7:48 pm |
  8. exodus84

Religion is constantly contradictory. If the Christian God was infallible there would be no rainbows. The bottom line is if there is a supreme being who is truly the creator of all I would highly doubt any human being could comprehend that being's motives or intentions.

January 5, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
    • God

Everything is correct except for the whole rainbow thing. Rainbows exist because of the gays! My arch-nemesis. The gays! curses!

January 5, 2012 at 7:48 pm |
  9. Mike A, CO

Clearly anyone who claims God is talking to them needs to be in the Nut House not the White House.

January 5, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • James PDX

What's the difference again?

January 5, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
  10. W. Green

Maybe there is more than one God. So if it was their God, we can be thankful it didn't get its way, or who know what it would tell them next?

January 5, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • God

Another God? Where? Who? Let me at 'em! I'll crush the usurping basterdio with my powerful, thrusting, projectile thingy that I am so obsessed with having shaped in a certain way.

January 5, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
  11. Truthwillsetyoufree

Most of them worship money so when their God (money) lets them down... go figure...

January 5, 2012 at 7:40 pm |
  12. Jack O'Fall

God was merely suggesting that they start taking medication for their condition. That is the normal course of action for someone who hears voices in their head.
    If the voices are asking you do to things that don't work out too well, then you really should start taking medication.

January 5, 2012 at 7:40 pm |
  13. Josh M

How are they sure it's God talking and not Satan?

January 5, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
    • God

I answered this two pages ago, Josh M. Satan has a raspy, garlic breath. I have a mellifluous Bach voice. Big difference.

January 5, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • Josh M

He's the great deceiver though. He could disguise himself however he chooses. A voice can be altered, even by mortals.

January 5, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
    • steveo

they can tell by the area code that shows up on their "perfect phones". we mere mortals are stuck with merely "smart devices".

January 5, 2012 at 7:54 pm |
    • God

Interesting... if there is one thing I hate almost as much as the gays, it's Lucifer. A great deceiver you say? I thought I was told he was a great "receiver" and then I thought that meant taking it... anyways, go on... do share...

January 5, 2012 at 7:55 pm |
  14. Sam

I am happy to hear this through candidates, because it's a chance to let the entire nation especially 'NEWS MEDIA' to remember once again that USA was formed on Christian faith.

January 5, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
    • Jack O'Fall

Did you miss the sarcasm?
      Otherwise, you are left to conclude that God is either manic or God likes to torture politicians.

January 5, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
    • Matt

Christian faith? Have you heard of the Thomas Jefferson bible? You know the one he wrote that was the story of Jesus without the "magic"...

January 5, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • semuta

Maybe you should read this Economist article, Sam:

January 5, 2012 at 7:51 pm |
    • steveo

like hell it was sam-you-am. I have a Suessian rhyme for you

that sam-you-am, that sam-you-am
      I do not like that sam-you-am
      your bible's like green eggs and ham
      its full of fluff, its full of spam,
      it tells you this, it tells you that
      but its just baloney, go wash your cat.

January 5, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
  15. KMBR

God is probably ashamed to be associated with these GOP clowns.

January 5, 2012 at 7:37 pm |
    • God

No way. I'm proud of any man who kills coyotes, a crazy lady who has 23 children, a man with a 9-9-9 plan, and a man whose name need be googled (Santorum). They are my creation. They remind me daily of why I occasionally flood the planet.

January 5, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
  16. marcus_d

God has probably been truly inspired by the blogging here. I suspect that being so inspired he will stop the runaway deficit spending and the bankrupting of America. (Of course, a bankrupt America does a better job feeding the poor; the poor, who throughout the last 100 years, would not have trading living in America for any other country in the world.) Being further inspired by these blogs, God will now support __________ for President. By the way, when a President says, "God bless America" what is the President really thinking?

January 5, 2012 at 7:37 pm |
  17. Judas

GOD IS AN IMAGINARY FATHER FIGURE IN THE SKY AND RELIGION IS THE LAST REFUGE OF A FAILED HUMAN!

January 5, 2012 at 7:35 pm |
  18. Jesus C.

If my Father had spoke with any of these BAFOONS, He would have told me first.

January 5, 2012 at 7:32 pm |
    • God

Hey I did learn you to spell and grammer right sonny boy.

January 5, 2012 at 7:35 pm |
    • God

Son, this is your father speaking.

I did tell you, you darned idiot. You were too busy blasting your Coldplay crap in your room to hear me. I swear, you take after your mother.

January 5, 2012 at 7:36 pm |
    • AlwaysAmazed

love it jc. just love it.

January 5, 2012 at 7:43 pm |
    • DeeCee1000

OMG ! ! ! The Father AND The Son, both posting at the same time on the same page ! ! ! I'm realllllllly nervous speaking to the two most powerful people in the entire universe. . .so forgive me if I make a fool of myself.. . .Can I ask you something? . . .Is it true that people used to ride on dinosaurs back in the old days much in the same way people now ride horses? The Creation Museum depicts people and dinosaurs living side by side. . .but I've read somewhere else that this isn't so. Since you two are all-knowing, can you please explain to the rest of us just what the truth is about the dinosaurs living alongside people? BTW, I love you two guys. You're awesome, simply awesome. . . .the both of you.

January 5, 2012 at 8:01 pm |
  19. Andrew

"I believe the probability of such a being existing is virtually zero."

How do you determine the probability of such things?

"So, technically we agree, but I wouldn't stretch that agreement to mean support for any god or the jesus myth."

Do you believe in the possibility of multiple universes, other planes of existence, or dimensions that we're unable to detect?

January 5, 2012 at 7:32 pm |
    • God

You're stepping into doodoo way over your little brain, Andrew.

January 5, 2012 at 7:36 pm |
    • Andrew

You're breaking character.

January 5, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
  20. slupdawg

What do I think? I think they're delusional, liars, or both.

January 5, 2012 at 7:32 pm |