home
RSS
What happens when candidates called by God drop out?
Kelly Oxford's tweet from Wednesday.
January 5th, 2012

What happens when candidates called by God drop out?

By Stephen Walsh, CNN

On Wednesday, blogger and sitcom writer Kelly Oxford sent a tweet about the Republican race for the presidency that got a lot of folks asking: Is this God’s idea of a joke?

Oxford, whose Twitter feed was named by TIME magazine one of the 140 best of 2011, wrote, “Cain, Perry, Bachmann all claimed God told them to run for President, and all are out of the race. God is hilarious.”

It’s been reported that Herman Cain, Rick Perry, Michele Bachmann and Rick Santorum have all suggested that God called on them to enter the presidential race.

But here we are: Cain’s out. Bachmann’s out.

After returning to Texas to “reassess” his campaign, Perry announced he’s not throwing in the towel. Judging by his poor showing in the Iowa caucuses and the debates so far, however, many political experts think it’s just a matter of time.

The only one with supposed divine guidance who’s still in the race is Santorum.

So what gives? Did the candidates misread God’s supposed message? Does the defeat of a divinely-inspired candidate necessarily contradict a message from God?

We want to hear form you. What do you think?

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Uncategorized

soundoff (1,906 Responses)
  1. Rationalist

Why did god tell 3 people to run? This country only has one president at a time. Did he lack confidence in his ability to make a candidate president? Or were they anointed by 3 separate gods? There is no other possibility. Oh wait, there is one other one: there is no god and these are three run-of-the-mill religious charlatans.

January 5, 2012 at 8:13 pm |
    • God

I was just having some fun. I was thinking about getting a few more to run but all the sane ones ignored Me.

January 5, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
    • God

I will not answer this again! REALITY TV SHOW. ok? got it?

January 5, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
    • Jim

You're funny! You are an atheist evangelist! LOL! I am always amused by people preachin' "THERE IS NO GOD!" Okay, if you believe that way, then why do you have to convince others?

January 5, 2012 at 8:20 pm |
    • Duckmanbill

Sorry, you missed the correct answer: God exists, but these 3 politicians will say whatever they think needs to be said to get votes.

January 5, 2012 at 8:20 pm |
    • God

Who is preaching there is no God? They better not be a woman!

January 5, 2012 at 8:22 pm |
    • Rationalist

@Duckbill They are all convinced god is talking to them. So are you. So is the Pope. So is Ted Haggard. So was Dubya. So was Mohammad. So was Jesus. Who are you to say which one is telling the truth and which one is full of crap?

January 5, 2012 at 11:50 pm |
  2. Nate

How about the simplest answer... God doesn't exist and they were all hearing themselves in their own heads.

January 5, 2012 at 8:12 pm |
  3. tr

Simple: God told them to run so Obama would have an easier time winning. Funny thing is, none of them would humbly consider that as an option.

January 5, 2012 at 8:11 pm |
  4. Balls McGhee

This article summed up in 4 words; THERE IS NO GOD.

January 5, 2012 at 8:11 pm |
  5. annajones

Anitat Perry said God told HER for Rickto run for president. Why didn't He tell Rick? She must have been strolling in the gardens of her $10,000 mansion when "he?" whispered in her ear, "Who says you can't be the First Lady.."...and Rick partook of the "apple"

January 5, 2012 at 8:09 pm |
    • God

Oh, annajones. So salacious. I should have had you write Song of Solomon 😉 (call me, nothing's happening in heaven this Friday, I've sent the angels to Iran, so I have the streets of gold all to myself – you know my number 777-777-7777)

January 5, 2012 at 8:15 pm |
  6. Tom Fin

It's a matter od DPD ... Distorted perception disorder!

January 5, 2012 at 8:09 pm |
  7. katahdin

The answer is obvious. God is an Obot.

January 5, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
  8. Daniel

I don't know whether God really did inspire each of them to run for office. Perhaps he did. I don't think God inspiring a person to run for office necessarily means they are going to win the race. God (assuming he did inspire each of them) must have had some other reason in mind – maybe their participation in the race made a difference for good somewhere, on someone, regardless of political party or the outcome of the race. If God did inspire them, I'm sure he had good reasons and some good will come out of their candidacy.

I write this because the assumption in Kelly Oxford's tweet (and in many of the comments) is that if God inspires someone to enter a race, it must be because he plans for them to win 1st place. Leading to the assumption that either God is seriously messing with them, or that they are delusional. I don't see a reason why God can't inspire multiple people to enter a race and give it their best shot.

January 5, 2012 at 8:06 pm |
    • God

Daniel, this is God speaking. I already explained to everyone here that I wanted them to run because I was hoping to get a reality show. Nothing says reality like the people who talk to me. I had a role for all of them. Gingrich is the angry old stooge, Romney the spoiled brat, Ron Paul is the senile character, Cain was the token black man, Bachmann was the feisty woman, and Santorum is the angry boss. I couldn't find an Asian willing to participate, though. Sorry.

January 5, 2012 at 8:11 pm |
    • dan

I actually disagree with the assertion that it necessarily means that they should win. But I definitely think it's silly for someone to drop out if they claim they are supposed to be there... at the very least, wouldn't someone called by God want to stick it out all the way through?

I do not mean to mock. I just think the inference about winning is false. To me it's more about dropping out after claiming you were supposed to be there...

January 5, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
    • Crewltof

We need to cut God some slack. His intentions are honorable (with God as my judge), he has just never championed multi-tasking.

January 5, 2012 at 8:24 pm |
  9. NorthropP61

ROFLMAO!! Excellent point!

January 5, 2012 at 8:04 pm |
  10. KATE

MUST HAVE BEEN THE SAME GOD WHO STOPPED HELPING TIM TEBOW WIN FOOTBALL GAMES.....NEVER TRUSTED HIM AND NEVER LIKED HIM....NOT MY IDEA OF A GOD DESERVING OF PRAISE AND WORSHIP WHEN HE ALLOWS SO MUCH PAIN AND SUFFERING.

January 5, 2012 at 8:03 pm |
    • God

Sorry, I'm a Steelers fan.

January 5, 2012 at 8:13 pm |
  11. Michael

Perhaps God agrees with the concept of separation of church and state, one of the fundamental principles of our democracy!

January 5, 2012 at 8:02 pm |
    • God

Only a man and woman should marry, Michael. I don't want anything else united – blacks, whites, greens, whatever. I'm all for separation.

January 5, 2012 at 8:04 pm |
    • burrke

@god So you want only man and woman to be united...and then nothing else- blacks, whites, green-should be united...are you implying that blacks, white and greens are not man and woman??? Just logical question

January 5, 2012 at 8:12 pm |
    • God

@burkke: don't you pay any attention to my chosen party, the Republicans? They have correctly identified "blacks" as non-people. Likewise for gays. Try to get your mind into this century.

January 5, 2012 at 8:19 pm |
    • ExLonghorn

God,
      What if the man and woman are white?

January 5, 2012 at 8:22 pm |
  12. mike from iowa

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between church and State.
    -Thomas Jefferson, letter to Danbury Baptist Association, CT., Jan. 1, 1802

January 5, 2012 at 8:01 pm |
  13. mike from iowa

Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law.
    -Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, February 10, 1814

January 5, 2012 at 8:00 pm |
  14. Nookster

God's a little side tracked right now answering Tim Tebow's prayers for the ability to throw a football.

January 5, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
    • J.C.

Yes, and he seems to be paying as much attention to Tebow's prayers as he is to those of the Republican right.

January 5, 2012 at 8:02 pm |
  15. Ian WELCH

I am not God, and I think people make mistakes quite often enough not to blame God. I am confused, eternally, by what journalists mean by "evangelical" and "evangelicals." Bible-bashing is only one small element of evangelical belief but it seems to be a definitive term.

January 5, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
    • God

I am God. And I don't give a flying fook what you think.

January 5, 2012 at 8:00 pm |
  16. NorthropP61

All it proves is that right wing candidates are self important and delusional.

January 5, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
  17. sck

Michelle, Rick, Herman, and Rick all stopped listening before god got to the "of Iran" part.

January 5, 2012 at 7:58 pm |
    • God

Uh huh, but that 'Bama kid is a sharp one. He got missiles all ready to rain on that Amajabberwad pipsqueak any day now yo, all ready to rule Iran too.

January 5, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
  18. oneSTARman

I'm pretty sure MOST of US knows – deep down in our HEARTS – regardless of what anybody tries to FEED US; that for these JOKERS – who would walk on the faces of the poor to get MORE – the Only GOD they COMMUNE with has HORNS.

January 5, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
    • NorthropP61

Even the devil could do better than this bunch. He's backing Santorum.

January 5, 2012 at 8:02 pm |
    • God

I don't want any man "backing" Santorum. You sick pervs don't seem to get it. I created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.

January 5, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
  19. Michael

Even God makes mistakes. HIs book is full of them.

January 5, 2012 at 7:54 pm |
    • God

Let's just keep that 'tween you an me.

January 5, 2012 at 8:02 pm |
  20. God

Who says I don't have a sense of humor.

January 5, 2012 at 7:54 pm |
    • Jim in Georgia

You made my wife so you must have a sense of humor... 🙁

January 5, 2012 at 7:58 pm |