home
RSS
What happens when candidates called by God drop out?
Kelly Oxford's tweet from Wednesday.
January 5th, 2012

What happens when candidates called by God drop out?

By Stephen Walsh, CNN

On Wednesday, blogger and sitcom writer Kelly Oxford sent a tweet about the Republican race for the presidency that got a lot of folks asking: Is this God’s idea of a joke?

Oxford, whose Twitter feed was named by TIME magazine one of the 140 best of 2011, wrote, “Cain, Perry, Bachmann all claimed God told them to run for President, and all are out of the race. God is hilarious.”

It’s been reported that Herman Cain, Rick Perry, Michele Bachmann and Rick Santorum have all suggested that God called on them to enter the presidential race.

But here we are: Cain’s out. Bachmann’s out.

After returning to Texas to “reassess” his campaign, Perry announced he’s not throwing in the towel. Judging by his poor showing in the Iowa caucuses and the debates so far, however, many political experts think it’s just a matter of time.

The only one with supposed divine guidance who’s still in the race is Santorum.

So what gives? Did the candidates misread God’s supposed message? Does the defeat of a divinely-inspired candidate necessarily contradict a message from God?

We want to hear form you. What do you think?

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Uncategorized

soundoff (1,906 Responses)
  1. Tom the realist

Imagining that an imaginary all powerful magical being is calling you, you the very special little person out of 6 billion is a delusion. It starts with him calling you to run for president, then starting wars, then creating an apocalypse...the whole time saying " it is Gods will" . It is madness. This is delusional madness and should be called out and mocked every time. Enough of this dark ages nonsense.

January 5, 2012 at 8:37 pm |
    • God

Tom, that's why I am here. I'm revealing myself to people (no one is under 18, right? or you have your parents permission). Prove I am not the Alpha and Omega. Muh-hoo-haha.

January 5, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
    • oh really

Oh Tommie Boy......God told me to say hello!!!

January 5, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
  2. God

I changed my mind. You should all vote for Obama.

January 5, 2012 at 8:33 pm |
    • Brian

They would say anything to lend credence to their cause.

January 5, 2012 at 8:39 pm |
  3. ExLonghorn

The fact that so many people are making decisions based on religion is abhorrent. These are the same people that see deity's in toast and who pray for their family and friends to be healed from diseases God surely initiated. The logic of these folks is laughable. Yes, Eve WAS made from Adam. But where did all the races come from? Languages were created when God decided to confuse their languages...how conveeenient. The whole thing is just silly. Religious fervor coincides with fear and lack of education...so turn off the news and pick up a book.

January 5, 2012 at 8:32 pm |
    • God

Whoa, whoa, easy there Big Tex. Don't go planting them logical ideas in people's minds. We need faith, not logic.

January 5, 2012 at 8:35 pm |
    • Jamie

Damn, all that from a texan! Yeehaw to you ....from a liberal girl stuck in a very republican texas

January 5, 2012 at 8:38 pm |
    • God

Game on, Tex. Jamie just gave you an indicator of interest. You need a witty come-back to demonstrate you are intellectually worthy, but don't appear too desperate or needy. If there is one thing God wants, it's good, old-fashioned copulation sans protection.

January 5, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
    • inathens

I agree that the examples you call up are funny. I pick up books constantly and my career is built on logic and science. I'm working on a PhD. And I'm also religious and faithful. There's nothing illogical about my belief. And your stereotypes fail. Learn to see more than the extreme examples that you use to build your perception of reality and you will be a lot smarter.

January 5, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
  4. Jamie

Of course a republican candidate is going to have to bring up God at some point with 73% of the party being white Christians. It's not like they are going to pick someone who is is not Christian to represent them. But they could change the language for sure, for example "My faith in God and the teachings of his Son, our Lord and Savior, requires that I push myself. That I strive to be the best I can be. To take care of my family and neighbors... the stranger on the street corner. I feeling running for president is meeting the expectation He has in me."

To say that God is calling on them to actually fill the seat in the Oval Office is egotistical and prognostic. Making them seem as crazy as that one Christian guy who bought all the billboards recently to announce the end of the world.

January 5, 2012 at 8:32 pm |
  5. God

Ha! I was just effin with 'em.

January 5, 2012 at 8:32 pm |
    • Jamie

Oh God...your crakin' me up!

January 5, 2012 at 8:35 pm |
    • God

In addition to creating the whole universe, I was always the funny one in the family. No big deal.

January 5, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
  6. David

I'm guessing Pat Robertson wants to be The TSAR of Gullibles

January 5, 2012 at 8:29 pm |
  7. Rocky

I don't doubt that Perry, Cain and Bachmann all received calls from God, but I'm also pretty sure that He just butt-dialed them.

January 5, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
  8. B

Tinnitus
    Tinnitus is the medical term for "hearing" noises in your ears when there is no outside source of the sounds.

The noises you hear can be soft or loud. They may sound like ringing, blowing, roaring, buzzing, hissing, humming, whistling, or sizzling. You may even think you are hearing air escaping, water running, the inside of a seashell, or musical notes.

Tinnitus is common. Almost everyone experiences a mild form of tinnitus once in awhile that only lasts a few minutes. However, constant or recurring tinnitus is stressful and can interfere with your ability to concentrate or sleep.

Alcohol, caffeine, antibiotics, aspirin, or other drugs can also cause ear noises.

Tinnitus may occur with hearing loss. Occasionally, it is a sign of high blood pressure, an allergy, or anemia.

Ears, hearing, go figure!!!

There you have it. We all think we hear God, or do we??? God???? Who knows...

January 5, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
  9. John Callahan

If you were a SERIOUS Christian or any open minded person, you might be fortunate enough to understand that God calls a lot of people to do things they fail at. Sometimes, that's how God matures certain people and those around them. Sometimes, God will even let a persons own Christian "hypocracy" take a hit if it helps to improve the person. God really couldn't care less about his own PR unlike a certain President we now have. If they believe God called them to run for office, then there was a good reason. You just need to understand how God works..... or at least be open to the possibilities.

January 5, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
    • streetsmt

Wow John, do you have the inside scoop on how God works! Hey, can you ask him if I am getting a raise this year?

January 5, 2012 at 8:26 pm |
    • JJ

That's nice. Now run along little Christian.

January 5, 2012 at 8:27 pm |
    • God

That's why I keep my ways so mysterious. Women find the complications and intrigue irresistible. Yeah, sure, my son was very well hung, but I'm the smooth operator.

January 5, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
    • Nookster

It's a cult and a cult mentality, and you're definately caught up in it. If there is a God, he could care less about such trivial matters. He would have an infinate universe to run.

January 5, 2012 at 8:31 pm |
    • MarkMInPDX

John, did god play one of his little jokes on you and call on you to improve your grammar and spelling?

January 5, 2012 at 8:36 pm |
    • ThatOneDude

HAHAHAHAHA!! You people will cobble up any excuse for the utter failure of your worldview, won't you?! Ah, if your religions weren't so corrosive to human society, it would be downright fun to watch you flip flop all day!

January 5, 2012 at 8:37 pm |
    • MarkMInPDX

And did it make you a better christian when you failed?

January 5, 2012 at 8:38 pm |
    • devilish

Yes John, only in America where the electorate elects divine idiots. They all must be listening to God.

January 5, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
    • bud in NC

John- lets see if i have this right. If someone says that god told them to do such and such, then it must be so. Is that it? If someone says god told them to strap on a bomb and kill people, should we believe that it so.

January 5, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
    • Traveler33

Callahan there is a difference in a "calling" and what GOD "allows" to happen. God may "allow" something to take place and "allow" someone to fail...but that does not mean GOD "called" on that person to see him/her fail...you speak of those that are "fortunate" to know how GOD works" for someone that is alluding that he is one of them it is hard to believe since you could not distinguish between the two.

January 5, 2012 at 9:02 pm |
  10. Sipolandis

Maybe God was trying to teach them humility or modesty, because they brought plenty of self-importance and pride.

January 5, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
  11. mike from iowa

They [the clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly; for I have sworn upon the altar of god, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. But this is all they have to fear from me: and enough, too, in their opinion.
    -Thomas Jefferson to Dr. Benjamin Rush, Sept. 23, 1800

January 5, 2012 at 8:22 pm |
    • Dan Stetzer

My god is an awesome god too. Who's Thoman Jefers' son?

January 5, 2012 at 8:42 pm |
  12. Braden Byrd

A good soldier of Christ does not become entangled in the affairs of this life. 2nd Timothy chapter 2. Also God is not the author of confusion.1st Corinthians chapter 14 verse 33.

January 5, 2012 at 8:22 pm |
    • go4it

Right, they are busy figuring out how to bring about the end of times.

January 5, 2012 at 8:24 pm |
  13. Dr Jones

God told me she tells all the candidates to run for office, even the Libertarians. But God also tells people to get hit by a car. So Mrs. Oxford is right, God is hilarious. Why does this confuse you?

January 5, 2012 at 8:22 pm |
  14. Jim

Precisely what this article was written for, to stir scoffers. Success to the writer!

January 5, 2012 at 8:22 pm |
  15. go4it

Then why aren't you there yet?

January 5, 2012 at 8:19 pm |
  16. Robyn Harris

Hey, Come on man, God is a Player.
    Just because he is whispering sweet naughties in Michele's ear,
    Doesn't mean he isn't also checking out Herman on the downlow.
    And he's got he's very own RickRollin two-fer plowing South Carolina next week.
    As Agnew liked to say, "Dum Spiro Spero".

January 5, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
    • God

I thought that was a private conversation, Robyn! Women, they have such big mouths. Anyways, let me tell you a little something about "little Mich". She's a natural brunette and her husband, Marcus, isn't holding up his end of the bargain, if you know what I mean. Let's just say she likes to be filled with the holy spirit.

January 5, 2012 at 8:25 pm |
  17. Akeith Walters

It takes magical ears to hear a magical being. Mine, like those of everyone else, are made of flesh and blood and other such organics.

January 5, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
  18. 3Davideo

How did God tell them? Did they hear a voice in their head when nobody was around? Hearing voices is a sign of mental illness.

January 5, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
    • Robyn Harris

Mitt Romney is not crazy.
      His mother had him tested.

January 5, 2012 at 8:20 pm |
    • God

I used a sign ... burning Bush.

January 5, 2012 at 8:22 pm |
  19. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things
    Prayer has changed the course of history
    Prayer defines the Truth
    Prayer gives direction
    To the servant of God
    Prayer opens the portals of heaven

January 5, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
    • go4it

Then why aren't you there yet?
      (reply didnt work the first time).

January 5, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
    • God

Knock it off with all the prayer already! Just once I'd like some quiet. I haven't got time for all these prayers. I have a life too ya know.

January 5, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
    • Brick Top

Religion isn't healthy for children. Other living things don't give a crap about your god.

January 5, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
    • Charlie Marlow

I'm raising two children outside of any religion. They are both in gifted and talented programs, are exceptional athletes, and are very well adjusted socially. What's your excuse for that?

January 5, 2012 at 8:26 pm |
    • Robyn Harris

Prayer lets me draw a six of clubs to fill my straight flush.
      Prayer lets me get plastered at the office party and still drive home.
      Prayer keeps my wife from finding out about my girlfriend (and Tony at the office party)
      Prayer means I can do anything I want cause Jesus is Magic.

January 5, 2012 at 8:26 pm |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer is the ultimate
      Reflection of quiet
      Listen to the wonder of
      The still small voice
      Of God and learn His ways

January 5, 2012 at 8:27 pm |
    • JJ

Nope – "Prayer" has the worst failure rate. I would rather take action than sit around and "Pray" to an imaginary friend. So good luck with your "Prayer" strategy.

January 5, 2012 at 8:32 pm |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer is blessing in action
      Prayer reveals the heart of God
      Prayer brings abundant life.

January 5, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
  20. evensteven

The trick isn't getting God to tell you to run for office. The trick is getting God to tell everyone else to vote for you . . .

January 5, 2012 at 8:17 pm |