home
RSS
January 6th, 2012

College kids vow to end slavery

By Steve Almasy, CNN

Atlanta (CNN)–For the better part of an hour, 42,000 college students stood in the frigid Atlanta night, patiently waiting for a statue illustrating the fight against human trafficking to be illuminated.

They filled the Georgia International Plaza next to the Georgia Dome stadium and stood in the crisp 40 degree air this week staring up at the 100-foot high hand reaching toward the sky. Just a few minutes after midnight, they lit candles and the lights below the statue came on. The students cheered then started to softly sing. A chant of "FREE-DOM! FREE-DOM!" grew momentum.

The event  was one of the final gatherings during the Passion 2012 conference, an annual meeting of 18 to 25 year olds. The students were encouraged to donate money to causes that battle trafficking.

The statue, covered in items made by slaves like clothes, represents many things said the man responsible for coordinating the outreach efforts with the organizations that will receive portions of the more than $2.6 million raised during the four-day conference.

FULL STORY
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity

1. Iqbal khan

Promoting War on Iran

By Stephen Lendman

Iran poses no belligerent or terrorist threat. In contrast, America, key NATO partners and Israel are global menaces. http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article30171.htm

The US-Iran Economic War

By Pepe Escobar

Here's a crash course on how to further wreck the global economy. http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article30172.htm

Drone Wars
    U.S. Turns to Drones to "Counter" China

By MICHAEL RICHARDSON

The United States aims to deploy sea-based drones on its aircraft carriers in the Pacific by 2018. http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article30174.htm

January 6, 2012 at 6:04 pm |
  2. Ph.D. from M.I.T.

Hey hiipypoet. Nice story, but I am almost certain I read it in a short story by Haraln Ellison when I was in high school. I am 52 now, and while I do not agree with those that believe in a literal interpretation of the Bible. I do believe in spirituality. Have a Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering from M.I.T., so I am a fact based person. That said, I also try to be practical in my approach to things. I do believe it is a fact that we need to work together to make this world a better place. WHile your rant probably makes you feel better (mine did many years ago when I also did similar rants), I came to the conclusion that such rants were really helping. I will not lie to others about my beliefs, but I will also try to find ways to work with others toward common goals we can agree on.

January 6, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
    • gupsphoo

I'm only 30 but I'm a billionaire with an IQ over 200. LOL

January 6, 2012 at 5:47 pm |
  3. JimBob "Bigfish" Cankerton

Get errrrrrrrrr done. Them things be crazy, I be hootin and hollerin for dem suckas.

Obama 2013!!!!

January 6, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  4. all hail me

slavery is a great thing first off – the only issue was that we were killing off an entire race of humans. the solution here is to just enslave all types of people, show no favortism. Just think of the possiblities! for some rich white folks it would be like every other day except they don't have to pay the lawn crew now. 🙂

January 6, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
    • JimBob "Bigfish" Cankerton

This be Jimbob here. Listen here sonny, you speakin crazy talk. I done sold mine a longggg time ago. You must be one of them darn yankees, we got rid of them brits for a reason!

Obama 2013!!!!!!!!

January 6, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  5. The Central Scutinizer

I don't understand. Is slavery bad? God allows it. Humans don't have free will, that is clear in the Bible. How dare we contradict God's work!

January 6, 2012 at 3:02 pm |

January 6, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
    • The Central Scutinizer

Tard
      Oh but please explain. I don't understand the contradictions in the Bible. Please?

January 6, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
    • You Sir, Are A Tard

Please see above post for your answer. Research it yourself if you really care, I doubt you will though.

January 6, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
    • .....

"Nice try with the same old tired arguments. If you don't care to look at things with intellectual honesty then I certainly don't care to try and explain."

Yet you keep replying that makes you an idiot.

January 6, 2012 at 4:29 pm |

@ .....

I said I wasn't going to explain, didn't say I wouldn't respond. Please learn how to read. You sir, are an illiterate tard.

January 6, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

But tard, that is the problem. I HAVE read the Bible, hence my confusion. The Bible advocates slavery and tells us we do not have free will. I guess this is why you are unable/unwilling to discuss.

January 6, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
  6. MANWILLSTOP ONEDAYHAHAHA

MILLIONS TO BE ASSASSINATED FOR THE SAKE OF $$$ LIABILITIES(mk-ultra, chip implants, electroshocks etc. performed on them) AND NEW WORLD ORDER(multiculturalism = terrorism) POLITICAL AGENDA KNOWN AS "YOU ARE NEXT"(financial liabilities are 2 expensive for the government and it is cheaper to get read of you instead) !!! IF YOU WERE TREATED WITH ELECTROSHOCKS OR DRUGS USED FOR WIPING OUT MEMORY(numerous Americans and Europeans were and are) AFTER ENDURING FORCED CHIP IMPLANTS(or to retard individual = how homeless people are produced), YOU ARE SCHEDULED NEXT !!!

NOW YOU KNOW WHAT ORWELLIAN UNITED STATES CONGRESS(USSR#2) IS SOOO BUSY WHEN PLAYING/CLOWNING(acting) IN FRONT OF CAMERAS ONLY HOW SOMETHING HAVE TO BE DONE(deliberately omitting/delaying facts of genocide as seen on this complain) !!!

LEARN TRUTH ABOUT UNITED NATIONS, AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL AS WELL AS NEW WORLD ORDER(MULTICULTURALISM = TERRORISM) GOVERNMENTS(Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) !!! NOT THERE TO PROTECT YOUR RIGHTS, BUT TO DENY YOUR RIGHT TO EXISTENCE !!!

ABDUCTIONS / FORCED BRAIN CHIP IMPLANTS / BLACKLISTING / FORCEFUL UNEMPLOYMENT / MK-ULTRA BRAINWASHING AGAINST WHITE(under "NAZI" lie) CIVILIAN POPULATION TODAY IN 2011/2012 ACROSS THE EUROPE AND NORTHERN AMERICA !!!

WHY TO ACCEPT LIABILITIES FOR CRIMES COMMITTED WHEN WE CAN SIMPLY ASSASSINATE OUR VICTIMS(YOU) THANKS TO HUMAN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS AND FREE PRESS/MEDIA(most severe censorship of genocide ever !!!)!!
    OR
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BostjanAvsec OBAMA'S HEALTH CARE RECORDED LIVE IN 2009 !!! These are hard facts about lunatic Obama/Bush's twilight zone administrations(HORROR) or genocide against whites per ZIONIST Washington DC and in complete agreement with communist Moscow !!!

EXILING WHITES(US citizens) WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE AND IMPORTING NON WHITES IMMIGRATION REQUIREMENTS FREE !!!

January 6, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
    • Nonimus

Ouch! My eyes hurt.

January 6, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
    • BNB42

I think he's a couple of french fries short of a happy meal!

January 6, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
    • all hail me

them be freedom fries boy! get it right or die a frenchmans death – death by pastries! would it be ironic if i used danishes to kill you.

January 6, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
    • How did he display the YouTube video?

Does anyone know how to display a YouTube video in this comments section? I've tried adding theYouTube address shown in the address bar when the video is running, and the code that you get when you click [Embed].from YouTube's webpage. Neither worked; they each just displayed the URL and not the actual video.

January 6, 2012 at 6:41 pm |
  7. SeanNJ

I can safely say I've done more to end slavery than these kids have...

...I freed my slaves. Booyah.

January 6, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
  8. I'm The Best!

Why does this have to be 'for Christ'? Why can't it just be for the people in slavery? I'm now worried they're going to try and convert everyone they initially save and put them into the mental prison that is religion. I don't like to give to religious charities just because they all try to convert everyone they save. It's sick. I'm not going to help fund someone else to spread their religion, even if its a good cause.

January 6, 2012 at 1:22 pm |
    • You Sir, Are A Tard

Ever heard of charity navigator? Ever performed actual research and not just gone off your biased uneducated opinion?

There are many Christian charities who help everybody and do not spread the Gospel at all. Go back to your cave.

January 6, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
    • I'm The Best!

I'm actually quite well educated. I'm an atheist engineer and instead of going through all the trouble to see which Christian charities I can trust I just give to the secular ones, or at least ones that aren't doing it in the name of a religious figure. My point is if you're not spreading the word then why have a church or religion even attached to it. Just do it for the good of helping people, not to get in good with your particular god.

January 6, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
    • I'm The Best!

See how I talked to you without sounding like an a.sshole 4 year old? Now its your turn to try it! Or you can just go back to your trailer and pray that I see the light. Ps. It won't happen.

January 6, 2012 at 2:04 pm |

@im the best

Just an FYI, lots of the secular ones are actually the worst charities and have the largest overhead (plenty of religious ones also), so just donating to a secular charity bc you think itll be better isnt accurate. I personally have donated to both secular and religious, however i make sure that the money is going to good use via financial reports, expense ratios, overhead etc.

My initial response was rather condescending and I could've said it nicer, however there are so many ignorant comments on these boards it's just hard to always respond with kindness 🙂 Cheers.

January 6, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
    • I'm The Best!

I do realize not all secular ones are good either. But doctors or engineers without boarders are both good.
      But do you get my point about attaching something to a charity? Why do it if it has nothing to do with the charity itself. If its a charity for Christ, I'm going to as.sume its being done to spread Christianity.

January 6, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
    • You Sir, Are A Tard

I can see what you're referring to, and there are certainly many religious charities that also want to spread their message. Speaking to the religious charities (Christian, since I can't speak for other religions) that will help anyone and do not spread their religious beliefs; they do it to basically say that Jesus is the reason that they are helping others. Not that the helped have to believe or they'll even say anything to try and convert, but just to let it be known that the reason they are volunteering is solely because Jesus has given them so much love and hope, that they just want to go out and help others, and Jesus' love is the reason they feel the need for that.

January 6, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
    • Bo

Can you name any secular organization that is working to end this atrocity? Of course they are going to try to win them to Christ–in Christ there is great assurance of freedom from this slavery. What do secularist offer?

January 6, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
    • J.W

Sometimes they may be associated with a religion because the religious is partly responsible for the administration of that organization. Like Catholic Charities is administrated by the Catholic Church.

January 6, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
    • Bo

P.S. Do you think that 45,000 athiesits college kids would all come together to do the same thing? I doubt that you could get half that number of atheists college kids to come together for any humanitarin endevor.

January 6, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
    • hippypoet

nah, Bo you are right that these kids are not going to do much as a group – unless we get the proper speaker for them to listen to...all large groups of people are are people waiting for someone to tell them what to do- its a sercet , so shhhhhh.

January 6, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • I'm The Best!

@ bo
      I'm not sure of any secular org. For this particular cause but I'm sure if I looked I could find one.

And yes, you could get that many atheist college students to come out for something like this. First you would have to find a college where the majority of students are atheist then put atheist in the name of the charity or free thinkers, or "for reason" as one its main themes. It would bring in a lot of atheists doing it for the good of doing it instead of trying to get into heaven with good deeds.

January 6, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
    • one of the students

Hey, I'm the Best. I understand what you're saying... If I was atheist, I would probably say the same thing. But, as Christians we believe that Christ is the restoration for the world.... he redeems the broken, heals the sick, makes life from death. He is the purpose of life itself, and we believe he deserves the glory because he has made the world and all the people in it. We wanted to give in the name of Jesus because of how much He has meant to all of us.... It's not just about helping those who need help. It's so much bigger than that. It's loving the whole world because Jesus loved us.... there's no way to separate life and freedom from Jesus (if you consider yourself a Christian). Christ has restored my soul and freed me from this world.... so of course I want to help free people from their slavery, physical and spiritual. I want the good news to spread. I want them, after they're rescued from slavery, to be restored and learn to love our God, just like I am learning to love him. I know that sounds ignorant and arrogant, but it's the truth and the only thing I can trust in this chaotic world.

January 7, 2012 at 1:29 am |
    • Natt

@one of the students

You sound ignorant because of your apparent lack of knowledge about how this universe actually works.
      Thus, you ARE ignorant and to take pride in an ignorant position is undeservedly arrogant, whereas MY position is not based on ignorance or being gullible and my arrogance is well-earned because I am correct and you are not.
      My position? I'm an atheist. I love people and truth.
      You love people, too...yet truth is apparently not very important to you.
      Facts, I guess, make no difference on how you view your beliefs.
      It's not like that with me. If I am wrong I can admit my mistake and move on.
      Since you appear to be a member of a cult, discussing things or arguing is not going to go very well because of your close-mindedness as a cult member.
      How far do you think your prayers would help those people who are modern-day slaves?
      Apparently not very far or you wouldn't be throwing money at the problem.

See? I can sound arrogant in pointing out where you are wrong-headed about things. You are willing, oh so willing, to believe what anyone tells you just as long as they say it's from Jesus or God. That's all it takes to defraud you out of your money, your time, your physical and mental resources – just as long as you think "your god wants it that way" and you will perform the wildest mental gymnastics in order to fit yourself, your beliefs, and your ignorance into the way you interface with the world around you - which happens to work quite differently than you believe.
      Sincerity is not proof of honesty nor does it prove the truth of what you are sincere about.
      Sincerity is just a measure of your emotional attachment to the thing in question.
      Sacrificing your life for something does not make that something true, it just shows you were willing to die for some reason.
      There are con-artists and fraudsters who have willingly died rather than admit they were lying and that it was all a scam.
      And if it made the scam that much better in some way, and it was a religious scam (what? you never heard of those?), then the idea of "martyrism" would certainly work very well, wouldn't it? Why just look at how easily you believe all the stuff you believe!
      If you don't question anything, you're going to look like a simple-minded, willfully-ignorant, mental slave.
      How ironic that you are against slavery. A mental slave to a religion being against slavery!
      That is very funny! LOL

January 7, 2012 at 2:13 am |
    • one of the students

@Natt

I honestly understand why you don't believe in Christ. I was very much like you for a very long time. I understand that you see the world in other terms– through science, history, and academics. I greatly appreciate academics as well.... I love learning about other people's beliefs. I go to Boston University.. I have many atheist friends... I have friends who believe in another religion. And I believe I can learn a lot about our world through them. But, for me... all of my academics relate directly back to Christ. It's not just a simple-minded religion that you see. It's the world- studying astronomy this semester, I'm aware of how huge our universe is and how much bigger God, consequently, is... and the majesty that he could still love all of us even though we are so small and insignificant. I've been incredibly humbled by my atheist friends who love people and want to change the world as well– it's inspiring and convicting. I believe every person has a part of God. But ultimately, everything large and small relates back to Christ for me because of the way the world works. I also studied evolution and am amazed at how God created humans.... To me, science further points out the glory of God.

As far as my prayers helping modern day slaves... I think they definitely can. But God calls us to use all of our resources for his glory– our prayers, our money, our thoughts, our bodies. He wants to capture every part... so this conference wasn't about just giving money to fulfill God's vision.. It's about giving all of ourselves to God to allow him to use us as he wills.

I'm also not easily persuaded or gullible... I believe facts back up the truth of God. If someone tells me to hate someone because God told them to, I wouldn't believe them . I know God's heart. Christ is God's heart. It is love. I believe that God seeks love and freedom for everyone on Earth.... So I will spend my life trying to serve those ends.

I'm also fully aware of my mistakes. I've made so many.. and you're right– I'm arrogant, ignorant, and I get so much wrong. I don't love people all the time. I don't act like Christ. I can't do it on my own....which is exactly WHY I need Christ. I'm so broken, but I can lean on God and he can change my heart. He forgives my brokenness and pride. That's why we want to glorify him– we don't want to take credit ourselves because God is healing the broken... and the beauty is that he uses us, his broken people.

While I value the intellect behind believing in Christ, you're right... It is based on emotional experiences. That's why it's faith. It doesn't make sense that I worship a dead guy who came back to life. Yet, somehow.... I've tried and tried to understand the world through every other lens. I've followed intellect, success, relying on people, relying on myself. But everything else has disappointed me. Everything else proves to be temporary and fickle. Somehow, in the mystery of Christ, I am redeemed and restored and given the opportunity to redeem and restore others.

I know how it sounds. I know it sounds crazy. But it's just so crazy that it's actually true. And it's not because I read about it in a book or my family believes it... It's because I see God and Christ in everything... in life, our world, myself, nature, academics, etc. It's the only thing that makes sense.

January 7, 2012 at 6:54 pm |
  9. to God be the glory

All week long, every single thought and action was for the Glory of God. 45,000 college students coming together to celebrate and worship Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior is an amazing thing. With the fire and passion theses 45,000 people had when they left the conference it is easy to say I know they can and will make a change, they will not fail! If God is for us, who can be against us.

January 6, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
    • The Bobinator

> I am unsure why there are so many negative comments on here, but my heart breaks for those of you who cannot see what an impact these college student have made ALL IN THE NAME OF JESUS.

Actually, Jesus upheld the concept of slavery. Don't you read your bible?

> All week long, every single thought and action was for the Glory of God. 45,000 college students coming together to celebrate and worship Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior is an amazing thing.

Actually, 45,000 people were opposing what God said in OT. And what Jesus said in NT.

> With the fire and passion theses 45,000 people had when they left the conference it is easy to say I know they can and will make a change, they will not fail! If God is for us, who can be against us.

God is for slavery. Read your bible. Perhaps that's part of the problem. You have no clue what your God's position is. You simply think your God agrees with you. Which makes more sense, since God was invented by man.

January 6, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
    • JA

The term slave in the time of Abraham was synonymous with the term servant. When a poor man could not provide for his family he would sell his kin into slavery. This was not a bad thing at all. They were treated as if they were part of the family. If you read Leviticus, it was against God to smite your slaves. How is that any different from someone having a maid or house servant today? You my friend need to read the bible. It was the Egyptians who turned slavery into an evil act of torture.

January 6, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
    • You Sir, Are A Tard

@JA – Your exactly correct. The "The Bible promotes slavery" line is one of the most common rebuttals on these blogs though and you'll quickly get tired trying to correct people. When they say that it just shows that they've clearly never actually researched it and frankly it's not worth trying to argue with someone who hasnt done their homework but think they know it all. Cheers 🙂

January 6, 2012 at 2:58 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

I'm sorry to say but if these kids did this for Jesus and in the name of Jesus, or because it is something Jesus said they should do, all they are doing is paying lip service in an attempt to seem better than they are. Now if they did it because they believe that slavery is wrong, or because they wanted to help another human being because it's just the right thing to do, then whatever they accomplish will be even more amazing and noteworthy.

January 6, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
    • You Sir, Are A Tard

@hawaii – And if they did it for both reasons? That seems to be a more accurate analysis.

January 6, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
    • Nonimus

@JA,
      If you are referring to..
      Lev 25:39 “‘If any of your fellow Israelites become poor and sell themselves to you, do not make them work as slaves."
      That only applies to Israelites, other wise...
      Lev 25:44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; ... and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly."

Let me repeat that, non-Israelite slaves are "property," but you are correct that they must not be treated "ruthlessly," just bought, sold, and inherited as chattel. I'm sure the slaves appreciate that bit about no ruthless treatment though.

January 6, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
  10. Evan

I find it ironic that critics of the church constantly criticize it for not practicing what it preaches. Now, after raising 3+ million dollars to fight evil, people still find a way to criticize. These college students are practicing that they preach.

January 6, 2012 at 1:05 pm |
    • SeanNJ

We've been told countless times, when referring to evil things that members of the RCC have done, that "you can't paint everyone with the same brush."

Guess what...you don't get to claim what these people have done as being representative of all of Christianity either. You don't get to keep the good while disavowing the bad.

January 6, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
    • Nonimus

I think it is a good cause. I just can't understand why Christians are doing it. Doesn't the Bible say, "Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ." (Irony 3:22)

January 6, 2012 at 1:22 pm |
    • Evan

If you read my comment, you will notice that I did not deny that the church (I mean all Christians, not just the Roman Catholic Church) has done great evil. You will also notice I did not claim that these people represent all of Christianity. My last sentence says that "these Christians are practicing what they preach." I did not say all Christians

January 6, 2012 at 1:22 pm |
    • Greg

It is not ironic at all. What us as Christians need to understand, the world is not here to applaud us. And if we have the expectation that the world is going to stand up and support causes in the name of Jesus, then we really do not understand the world and more so Christ. The world didn't stand up and applaud Jesus, it nailed Him to a cross.

January 6, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • DJWhat

if God were to Do what righteousness requires we would all go to hell. God is also love and so he sent his son to Die for us and so pay the price of our sin. He gave freedom to us now its our turn to show the world that freedom. God has everything to do with this EVERYTHING. and the fact that all you can do is speak against it shows me that we as followers of our Lord Jesus Christ are finally doing the Gospel.

January 6, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
    • You Sir, Are A Tard

@Greg – Amen and that's the truth. I think it's hard and difficult to understand how people can criticize everything, especially that which is good, when deep down they just want less suffering. The fact is that they hate Jesus and will criticize the church or Christians regardless of their actions, we can see that from these very posts.

January 6, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@Evan: Then there's no irony at all. It's apples and oranges.

January 6, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@You Sir, Are A Tard: You said, "We know we will be mocked and ridiculed by believing in Christ, he even says so. Kinda funny when you think about it how all these little atheists are actually fulfilling Bible prophecy lol."

That's astounding. You know what? I can fly by flapping my arms really fast. Now, before you tell anyone else about this you should know that people are going to tell you you're nuts for believing it. So be ready.

January 6, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
    • Nonimus

"...people are going to tell you you're nuts for believing it. So be ready."
      So it is written, so shall it be done. Praise SeanNJ.

January 6, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
    • Bo

@Nonimus,1:22pm post: Don’t be such an idiot!

January 6, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
    • Nonimus

@Bo
      "Don’t be such an idiot!"

Excuse me, but that is what it says in Ephesians and similarly in Colossans and other places I think.

January 6, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
  11. A poor college kid

Thank you CNN for sharing this cause with the world. We, Americans, are often lost in the luxuries of this world and we forget about the 27 million people who are still in chains. This number is larger than any number recorded in history. It's time to do something NOW about this issue. To God be the Glory! Galatians 5:13-15. My freedom is found in Christ.

January 6, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
  12. Portland tony

These are young men and women .....Not KIDS....taking a stand. Kids are pre adolescents ....Duh!

January 6, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Who cares what they're being called?

January 6, 2012 at 6:41 pm |
  13. Harry Belafarte'

You college kids are all out to lunch. All your pie in the sky ideas are just horse dookee. GET A JOB YA PUNKS!!

January 6, 2012 at 11:52 am |
  14. Little pigs little pigs

Just a group of rose colored glasses wearing, liberal, do-gooders. They cause more problems than they solve.

January 6, 2012 at 11:48 am |
    • Passion 2012

Hey Little Pigs. What are you doing to make the world a better place? The 45,000 of us raised enough money to free and save over 50,000 people from a life of bondage. Kind of funny that you say we are the ones causing problems, when you sit on your computer accusing us of so much, while we actually do something. Too many people for too long have sat around and let injustice happen. Our generation is doing all that we can it better.

January 6, 2012 at 1:10 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@Passion 2012: Not to be an a$$...ok, maybe a little...but someone else in this thread mentioned there were 27 million slaves in the world.

So, based on my simple math, you and the other 44,999 people have done enough to end 0.185% of all slavery. Based on the money raised as stated in the article (and for the sake of simplicity I'll ignore diminishing returns), you'll only need to raise another 1.45 trillion dollars to free the others.

Better get crackin'.

January 6, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • J.W

Well this was only one event. They could do this every week and continue to raise money. If they freed 50000 every week then the numbers would dwindle to nothing eventually.

January 6, 2012 at 3:35 pm |

@sean –

So what do you suggest? Do nothing? Even if it's only a small percent, isn't it worth it to even save one person from having to become a slave? Glad to see the atheists contribute so much good to this world. Just admit it, you hate anything that doesn't please your selfish desires. You hate good and love to b!tch and complain about everything because deep down you're very unsatisfied with yourself.

January 6, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@J.W: You'd also have to as.sume that slaves weren't being replenished. The 50,000 might have already been replaced by a different 50,000.

Even so, if we keep the top-level number at 27 million, at $2.6million per week, you'd need a little over a decade to get to 1.45 trillion.

They might need to work a bake sale in there every other weekend.

So...WOULD EVERYONE STOP BUYING SLAVES FOR THE NEXT 10.7 YEARS SO THAT WE CAN GET CAUGHT UP!?!?!

Thanks!

January 6, 2012 at 3:43 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@You Sir, Are A Tard: You said, "You hate good and love to b!tch and complain about everything because deep down you're very unsatisfied with yourself."

I did some very simplistic mathematical analysis, not kill a kitten.

And I mentioned up there ^^ that I freed my slaves, so I feel pretty satisfied with my contribution, tyvm.

January 6, 2012 at 3:47 pm |
    • Tyler

@Little pigs...

i think what you did is usually called an Ad Hominem argument, in which you attack the nature (real or assumed) of a person or group in order to detract from the argument or position that they hold.

most of the students that went, myself included, have worked all year to supply the funds needed for this donation. what will be fun to see is how the 45,000 men and women who were there continue to influence the world in pursuit of freedom for the enslaved. as someone who went, I can honestly say that I fully expect a large difference to be made by this generation, and while it may not be an instant shift in the paradigm of the world, efforts like the IJM's prosecution of traders and the efforts of http://www.slaveryfootprint.org to raise awareness will help to change the current environment in the global market.

I am absolutely a Christian, and have no doubt that our belief in Jesus is what motivates us as students and activists. But i also recognize that we are freeing people who have zero interest in our Savior. In my eyes, if their freedom brings with it a chance of interest in the Gospel, then I will be overjoyed to share it with them. But if all that comes of it is that they are no longer bound, I will rejoice because we have fulfilled what Jesus said in Matthew 25: "I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me...whatever you do to the least of these, you do to Me".
      i eagerly await the arrival of the atheist community in the efforts to stamp out slavery, and will happily throw my support and meager funds behind any group that will free part of the 27 million people currently enslaved.

Blessings to you.

January 6, 2012 at 10:42 pm |
    • evolvedDNA

Tyler..sounds just a human nature thing to me..why do you have to invoke a jesus into this? there is no proof he had anything to do with it..you were being human...well done.

January 7, 2012 at 12:22 am |
  15. The Bobinator

How are they going to end it? By standing together in a stadium? That'll show those evil human trafficers. They'll think twice!

January 6, 2012 at 11:23 am |
    • BG

Here you go: http://268generation.com/passion2012/#!/do-something-now/

January 6, 2012 at 11:25 am |
    • Trebek

By standing up for a cause...you now have read about it, did you know about this before today? All it takes is planting a seed, the President offically declared this month as Human Traffic Awareness Month today...still think were arent making an impact. Glory to God and to Jesus Christ!!! God Bless you as well!!!

January 6, 2012 at 11:33 am |
    • Little pigs little pigs

Well if the President thinks its a good idea then its probably awful. Phuck Barack Obama, the great deceiver.

January 6, 2012 at 11:38 am |
    • Little pigs little pigs

These people are standing together, smelling one anothers farts, and shouting about rose petals.

January 6, 2012 at 11:40 am |
    • Portland tony

January 6, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
    • The Bobinator

> A few may be in a position someday to do something about this scourge of mankind. Nay Sayers have one thing in common. They never have an idea or clue of what can be done!

Another person who doesn't think before they post. How can we stop human trafficing in other countries when we can't even stop drugs or illegal aliens from coming into our country.

The human trafficing issue will be ended by cultural change in those areas where it occurs. It will not be changed by vigils held by a bunch of students in a stadium.

Cultural changes occur due to changes in wealth and education primarily.

January 6, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
  16. Doc Vestibule

Because Georgie has such a laudable track record when it comes to racial equality, right?
    When the American south was forced to rescind the Jim Crow laws and accept racial integration, it was Baptists who most strongly opposed equality.
    Wallie Criswell, an extremely popular and influential Southern Baptist Minister famously said "Let them integrate! Let them sit up there in their dirty shirts and make all their fine speeches. But they are all a bunch of infidels, dying from the neck up."

January 6, 2012 at 11:21 am |
    • Little pigs little pigs

BG, are you in the 2nd grade or kindergarten. You people only add to the problem with your "feel good antics."

January 6, 2012 at 11:37 am |
    • BL

Maybe thats the point – the transformation and progression of a segment of the South that has embraced living out the true meaning of Christ's teachings. A city can go from prevailing bigotry to beacon of hope for the millions who are oppressed...

January 6, 2012 at 11:37 am |
  17. hippypoet

thats a great vow and all but the reality is that they will fail ... and they will fail by 1 of 2 ways – getting killed or giving up. truth hurts, but facts are better known from the start then once your in the fire already!

January 6, 2012 at 11:19 am |
    • BG

I believe we won't fail. In fact, I know we won't.

January 6, 2012 at 11:28 am |
    • hippypoet

well for your sake and all those who are slaves against there will, i hope you are correct... sad truth is that people have been "putting an end to slavery" for a very long time – yet it presists...its in nearly every country too! 🙁 its at its worst in the wealthy countries...

January 6, 2012 at 11:34 am |
    • Junius Gallio

There are two ways to fail:

1. Try, and not meet your goals;
      2. Don't bother trying.

I can guess which one you prefer. I like their method better.

January 6, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
    • hippypoet

i never said a thing about just not trying... but now that i have the idea – hell yeah thats what i'll do!

thanks 🙂

or pull your head out of your @ss and realize that truth of the goal and its unlikely happy end... there are 3 kinds of people in this world – those that don't, those that do and, those that succeed – the differences are astounding!
      To try to is invite failure...your best bet is to just do it, or don't – trying is a complete waste of time.

January 6, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
    • You Sir, Are A Tard

@hippy – My name applies to you. "Just do it or don't." LMAO at that ignorant quote. When you learned to ride a bike did you have a try at all? Or did you just hop on at do it? Haha if only the world could do it like hippy, then we'd all have terrible grammar skills and flawed logic. All hail the hippy.

January 6, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
    • hippypoet

look i'm sorry if it doesn't make sense to you, thats your problem not mine....by telling a kid to trywhat your really saying instantly is you might fail and failure means bad things – but if you say do it or don't well then what happens is they try without the notion of failure or they just don't, the only hard part is getting them to do it over not doing it – for that i use my cunning and gile, sometimes my whit but mostly gile! -plus its less pressure to succeed when the only thing asked of you is to do it with no care of reaching a goal. a goal is another word for expectation and as i have always said expectations breed dissappointments.
      Yoda says this too so it must be true! no try, do or do not. 🙂

January 6, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
    • Bo

No Hippy, they may not be able to end it all, but at least they are not just standing by without doing something, and they will do some good–give them credit for that.

January 6, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
    • hippypoet

Bo, i am not saying that they shouldn't do anything because it won't have an impact towards getting rid of slavery, what i am saying is that they aren't going to succeed. Man can't fly so we built planes, they can't succeed in there plans, so change them but keep the end result – the greatest minds in history have all had the same problem, HOW? they way they overcame the how was to think of other things outside the box... same applies here. We built wheels to move faster then our legs can carry us, we just need the same thought pattern here but for a different purpose. Nothing is more powerful then a mind on a mission.

January 6, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
    • You Sir, Are A Tard

@hippy AKA "the wise one"

Please do enlighten us oh great one how we can accomplish that which you speak of? Our little minds cannot grasp your amazing concepts.

Seriously though, how do you suggest the problem be solved? You keep telling these people that they will fail but yet you don't make any suggestions for success. Please tell us how you would succeed.

Sincerely,
      A commoner

January 6, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
    • hippypoet

my solution is to just find the slavers and kill them on sight! that sends a message... same concept of leaving a dead bug for the rest of them so see and generate fear from it. have you ever seen the movie taken – yeah that! i have no respect for anyone who keeps slaves – i was taught by the daughter of a slave when in high school, my history teachers mother came a few times to talk about it...made me cry more then once. but for real thou, i have no issue with killing these types of people. i'm sure thats wrong and i'll take crap for it but i don't care, i must be honest. now that is my emotional answer, my lacking emotional answer is very different – turn the slavers into slaves, let there slaves be there masters... let both learn from the others point of view...it would change worlds. but killing them is still an option! 🙂

January 6, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
  18. Little pigs little pigs

These kids are just stupid buttholes and should be kicked in their butts.

January 6, 2012 at 11:18 am |
    • BG

We stupid buttholes just raised $3.7 million to end slavery. If that's the definition of a stupid butt hole I can live with that!

January 6, 2012 at 11:23 am |
    • Little pigs little pigs

Uh NO. You just lined someones pockets with mega-Cash you naive little SOB.

January 6, 2012 at 11:35 am |
    • J.W

Little pigs do you have statistics to back that up?

January 6, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
    • Little pigs little pigs

Yes I do...its called Time.

January 6, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
    • Junius Gallio

BG:

Don't bother with little pigs–he or she is evidently here to troll, and if you waste time responding, he/she wins.

Keep on doing the right thing. Oh, and by the way, I'm an agnostic (bordering on atheist)–not all of the nonbelievers who post on this forum are trolling.

January 6, 2012 at 1:34 pm |
    • Bo

You have a big ego and a little mind.

January 6, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
    • indifference is not an option

Little pigs...please look at my response to tom on the next page. Not all of us who were involved have deep pockets. It is not ok for you to insult the efforts of the few who are trying to make a difference. A good majority of us are broke college students scraping change out of our couches to get by.
      The pockets we line are nonexistant. The organizatikns we give to are Christian ones who believe in giving 100% of the proceeds to the causes they stand for. For you to make assumptions and accusations such as these is insulting to the core.
      if you look at the orgnizatikns we donated to you will see that the majority.of people working for them will.never see. Paycheck and must fund their own involvement. The only monetary assistance they reciece is for exclusive use for their ministry. Solely to help the victims they are working so hard to set free.

Please look at passion's. Website and dosomethingnow. It will show you precisely what is being done to help these people enslaved. It is by Gods grace that we are able to give and that these organizations are able to stay active. The fact that so many people are being freed and helped by these organizatiknsbis nothing short of a miracle in progrsss

January 7, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
  19. I am Curious yellow

As P T Barnum often said. "There is a sucker born every minute" and "never give one an even break."

January 6, 2012 at 11:17 am |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

I am Curious Blue

January 6, 2012 at 5:52 pm |
  20. I'm The Best!

I'm happy about what these people are doing but what does this have to do with the belief blog?

January 6, 2012 at 11:11 am |
    • BG

Because we are ending this in the name of Christ. Now is the time for the Church to step up and give a voice to the oppressed.

January 6, 2012 at 11:22 am |
    • hippypoet

BG – the church is the most oppressive and you think it should be the voice for the oppressed – thats just too funny! Thats like if bugs bunny stood for gun rights! somethings you say i completely agree with – this is not one of those moments!

January 6, 2012 at 11:27 am |
    • BG

It's a bummer people view the church that way and it's a bummer that some of the church is not following Christ. All I know is that this conference and the Bible is all about empowerment and that is the reality of Christ. It's what I've experience and it's what I've tried to do by helping the homeless and handicapped. To me they have value to the Lord and deserve to be treated that way.

January 6, 2012 at 11:32 am |
    • hippypoet

BG – dude forget god, he has nothing to do with this... and if god was real then why the HELL hasn't it done a damn thing to stop this – cleary he either doesn't care, doesn't exist, or totally agrees with slavery, or perhaps doesn't have the power to stop it... in any case it isn't worth worshiping. time to move on.

January 6, 2012 at 11:37 am |
    • BG

It's our own fault bro...man made the choice. God isn't the problem...and if he made people to worship him without choice we'd be robots and that is not love. I've seen and experience far too much to ever turn away. Exorcisms and possessions and liberation in the name of Christ and I'm only 22. When you've seen someone speak in tongues having no control or people who don't believe become possessed by demons then come to faith in Christ it's too much to deny. It'd be foolish to. The things that go on overseas....unreal.

January 6, 2012 at 11:48 am |
    • hippypoet

BG... ok then god exists and just isn't worth worshiping – thanks for the help figuring that one out... and to just make something a tad more clear – gods are all powerful ... your god can't even put a stop to the demons that apparently possess people... your god can't even make it so there are no starving people. so you have seen people get possessed, thats pretty cool in my book but what really happened? most likely a fit of some sort – and the whole talking in tongues bit – thats great... first how do you know that it wasn't just sounds and not a proper language? second, the amount of crap one can stream off of movies then pretend these things – yeah, its too much!

So lets re-cap... your god is not a god at all, just the being that MAY have created us and then destoryed the world with water because we weren't listening to its rules..then nothing for a long time.....then created a son of its own so he could die in the most fashionable way of the time...then nothing again – and here we are – sounds to me that your "god" is a powerful creature who enjoys having smaller things love it – you could call it a god complex because thats exactly what it is... and since i am going off here on the theoreticals lets @ssume that since your "god" creature exists but it isn't a proper god with all there glory that it must be of a lesser species of god-type creature...this implies that there are others like your "god" and they chose not to make themselves known, why do you think that is? I have a theory on that – they are of sound mind and have no need for tini followers on a backwater planet such as ours where the main past time is killing each other – infact the other god types have more respect for themselves and show it by not being a god to the ants of the universe. What does that make your "god".... a narcissist sociopath with a god complex to the degree of creation his very own worshippers... now thats sad! I am willing to bet that your "god" is the outcast of his people and thats why he has made the choice to create us – he needed friends and someone else to talk to besides himself. That also explains why he spoke to people in the past, this was shortly after he was booted out of his godtype people circle, with no one to talk to he created adam, adam sharing his creators dispair asked for a friend of his very own. Then after the whole garden thing, the moses thing, abraham thing, we get to jesus, ok hes dead now – moving on... since the J man's time, there have been a shortage of "god talked to me" people – perhaps your "god" has moved on to a new planet and created a new race of things that follow his rules better then we ever did! Soon they too will be drenched with the cleansing deluge to wipe the world clean of the filth only to start a new ALL OVER AGAIN – and with the same expectations – just so ya know, the act of doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is a sign of insanity. Your cast out loser "god" with a complex is an insane narcissist sociopath with a history of murder!

think about it, this makes more sense then the whole bible! 🙂 i do love to rant sometimes 🙂 enjoy the rant.

January 6, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
    • white flag

hippypoet; Just a little info... Jesus aka "j man" is not dead!!! He is alive!!! He trampled over death! what's sad is to hear your cry out to Our God even though you wont come to admit that///// your despair is beyond sad! why are you so prideful? You have no idea what God's word says why do you twist it?? read it! all you have my friend is a post with a bunch of big words that sound complete crap... it sounds like a cry out to find where the real God is! I hope you find him! i really do but even if you don't you still bow to my God! cause every knee will bow and tongue will confess He is Lord! =) and He is Lord! Can you find any other God's that will touch sin? no they all run from it, they turn their face!!! My God He gets all up in it!! He got all in so much and He cared so much for us that he died for it! and He run's after us! even we fail him. He doesn't Turn his back on us!!! He runs to Us with open arms and a open heart! so your insane narcissist sociopath is a bunch of junk!!!!!!=) history of murder?? My God My King He my friend is alive! and HE brings the dead to life! no murder! unless of course you keep denying Him!

January 6, 2012 at 10:21 pm |
    • EvolvedDNA

Whiteflag..there is no cry for help from Hiippy I think you may not have a response so you thrown out a bunch of religious catch phases that are meaningless to any rational person. You most likely believe the things you do as you were told to believe them as child. I think that it may be you that has major doubts about your true beliefs and understand it may have major flaws...

January 7, 2012 at 4:26 pm |