home
RSS
January 9th, 2012

1. gupsphoo

The Book of Mormon says blacks could become white if they stop sinning. I want to ask if Romney and Huntsman (both Mormons) believe what their religion teaches.

January 9, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
    • gupsphoo

I know it's hard for people to believe what I said, but please look up Jacob 3:8-9 in the Book of Mormon to see for yourself.

January 9, 2012 at 8:51 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

It's the only thing the book of mormon got right.

January 9, 2012 at 10:13 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

HS took my name. She has given up.

January 9, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
  2. The Central Scrutinizer

Hey is the Miley Cyress Breast Augmentation Scandal Blog?

January 9, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

Since I am on the topic of FAKE things (like Miley's bo.obies and the Bible) It is very funny to me MOSHE, how Christians will cherry-pick anything and everything they want out of the Bible and pretend it is the truth and in context, but if I pull some nutty stuff I "haven't read the Bible". You know, here is what I think:

Why, when you read the Bible, are you not left in awe? Why doesn't a book written by an omniscient being leave you with a sense of wonder and amazement? If you are reading a book written by the all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving creator of the universe, wouldn't you expect to be stunned by the brilliance, the clarity and the wisdom of the author? Would you not expect each new page to intoxicate you with its incredible prose and its spectacular insight? Wouldn't you expect the author to tell us things that scientists have not been able to discover yet?

Yet, when we open the Bible and actually read it, we find it is nothing like that at all. Instead of leaving us in awe, it leaves us dumbfounded by all of the nonsense and backwardness that it contains. If you read what the Bible actually says, you find that the Bible is ridiculous. If we are honest with ourselves, it is obvious that an "all-knowing" God had absolutely nothing to do with this book.

The Bible is a book written thousands of years ago by primitive uneducated men. A book that advocates senseless murder, slavery and the oppression of women has no place in our century! It is comedy!! And that is exactly how I do and will treat it.

January 9, 2012 at 8:26 pm |
  3. The Central Scrutinizer

Gotta slow down, I am posting too many at a time. Here is a good one:

Deuteronomy

God gave the Moabites and the Ammonites special protection since they
    were the descendents of Lot's drunken, incestuous affair with his
    daughters (Gen.19:30-38). 2:9, 19

More talk about a "land of giants." They must have been much more common
    back then. 2:10-11, 20

January 9, 2012 at 8:04 pm |
    • Moshe

Read the Bible cover to cover and pray that God will help you discern his word.
      Taking verses out of context is meaningless.

January 9, 2012 at 8:09 pm |

@Moshe
      I have read the Bible cover to cover and I have discerned that it is in fact, meaningless. If you have a different interpretation than mine on the above, please share. Don't just criticize. Otherwise I will stick with mine and give you a stern talking to!

January 9, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Central, if you read the Bible cover to cover as you claim you've done. How is it that you still act the fool?

January 9, 2012 at 8:22 pm |
    • Moshe

Galations 5:22-23

January 9, 2012 at 8:26 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

Moshe, which translation do you want me to use (please don't say English...ack) Or maybe I should use HeavenSent's Bible Guide?

January 9, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
    • LinCA

@Moshe

You said, "Read the Bible cover to cover and pray that God will help you discern his word.
      Taking verses out of context is meaningless.
      "

Before anybody should accept the bible as anything but a book of fairy tales, please provide some evidence that your god actually exists. Until you do, the only thing that bible quotes can prove is that the bible is full of contradictions.

January 9, 2012 at 8:33 pm |
    • Moshe

Which translation did you use when as you claim to have read the Bible cover to cover? Use the same translation.

January 9, 2012 at 8:36 pm |
    • Moshe

LinCA-
      Bible has no contradictions.

Come back to me with your critique of the Bible
      a) You have proved to be a perfect human being and,
      b) your work has made it to the NY best seller list

Until then, I refuse any further convo and am a stickler for conditions

January 9, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
    • LinCA

@Moshe

You said, "Bible has no contradictions."
      Bullshit. You are just blinded by your delusion and refuse to see them.

You said, "Come back to me with your critique of the Bible
      a) You have proved to be a perfect human being and,
      b) your work has made it to the NY best seller list
      "
      I am, and it has.

I am still waiting for some evidence that your imaginary friend actually exists.

You said, "Since you claimed to have read the Bible cover to cover and have discerned the word of God, explain the following passage:
      Galations 5:22-23
      "

It's Galatians, you fucking moron.

Galatians 5:22-23 (KJV)
      "22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
      23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law
      "

It is clear from this quote that alcohol, when consumed in moderation, leads to a joyful life. And that any law prohibiting the production, distribution or consumption of it, is an abomination.

This makes it very clear that the evangelicals that spearheaded the prohibition movement in the US were in direct violation of their own holy book.

Throughout history, one trend becomes very clear. Whenever there is a dispute that the evangelicals get involved in, they end up on the wrong side of it.

January 9, 2012 at 9:04 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

Moshe, there AT LEAST 700 contraditions in the Bible. Others claim they have many more than that. You know nothing of the Bible.

January 9, 2012 at 9:14 pm |
    • Moshe

NO, that interpretation was a epic failure!

Try again, this time take a deep breath, what exactly is Paul trying to say in this very important passage?
      You can google it and research this passage , take your time, I can wait for 24 hours but I cannot stand another haphazard post by you.
      Hint: the scriptures also says that if any of lack wisdom to ask God .

January 9, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

Well, I was gonna say it might be about being born again (BS) or about a Ghost (BS) or s.e.x (Yeah) as there are many meaning for the word depending on the translation. So going with KJV (I am not smart enough for Hebrew or Latin) those would have been my choices. But now I have to go with LinCA – It is clearly about booze -fermentation. (and s.e.x too I think).

January 9, 2012 at 9:22 pm |
    • Moshe

If alchohol and s e x is all you can think in life, then you will never find Love, Joy, Peace.
      Turn back to God, turn to scriptures, ask God to reveal his word to you, seek earnestly and you will find!!!
      Read and understand Galations 5:22-23
      Do yourselves a favour by not misquoting scriptures ever again

January 9, 2012 at 9:29 pm |
    • Eric G

@Moshe: LOL......

It's "Galatians". Do yourself a favor and learn how to spell before you try to insult someone. Dolt.

January 9, 2012 at 9:33 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

Hey Moshe, you never gave my YOUR interprestation of these! you told me I was wrong. Ok, why?

Deuteronomy

God gave the Moabites and the Ammonites special protection since they
      were the descendents of Lot's drunken, incestuous affair with his
      daughters (Gen.19:30-38). 2:9, 19

More talk about a "land of giants." They must have been much more common
      back then. 2:10-11, 20

January 9, 2012 at 9:35 pm |
    • LinCA

@Moshe

You said, "NO, that interpretation was a [sic] epic failure!"
      No it wasn't. It was spot on. If you disagree you must not be a real christian. Turn in your badge.

You said, "Try again, this time blah, blah, blah....
      Hint: the scriptures also says that if any of lack wisdom to ask God
      "
      When are you going to get it through your thick skull that your imaginary friend is just that; imaginary?

If you want to have an adult conversation, you should bring your big boy pants and show that you have an argument. Unless you can provide some evidence that your god has a snowball's chance in hell of actually existing, we can't talk sensibly about what is passed off as his words as if it holds any value in real life. Because until you do, you're talking about a fairy tale.

January 9, 2012 at 9:37 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

Moshe, when you tell me what I mis-quoted we will both know.

As for me, not that it is any of your business, but I am happily married for 17 years with two highly intelligent children who could debate you better than I and are only 15 and 11. I have no worries.

January 9, 2012 at 9:41 pm |
    • Moshe

You seem to misquote and misinterpret scriptures over and over again.
      That is the homework for you to complete.
      Come back once you have the right interpretation to Galatians 5:22-23

January 9, 2012 at 9:55 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

Moshe, you got nothing. Boo.

January 9, 2012 at 9:59 pm |
    • fred

If the bible is God's word it cannot be misinterpreted. He can make us think anything. You must both be right.

January 9, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
    • LinCA

@Moshe

You said, "You seem to misquote and misinterpret scriptures over and over again."
      Of course not. Like I said above, if you disagree with me you must not be a real christian. You must be a heathen. Go repent.

You said, "If you think I am going to help you with interpreting this passage of the scripture by Paul, I am not going to.
      That is the homework for you to complete.
      "
      I don't need your help. I did my "homework". I understand that it is all nonsense.

You said, "Come back once you have the right interpretation to Galatians 5:22-23"
      Who the fuck do you think you are? Who died and made you dumb schmuck of the month? Your interpretation is just that; your interpretation. It doesn't mean jack shit.

January 10, 2012 at 12:53 am |
    • Moshe

January 10, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
    • LinCA

@Moshe

You said, "Before you both wander around misquoting/misinterpreting the scriptures as if you really understand the Bible, you first and foremost need the solution as outlined in James 1:5."
      You don't get it, do you? The only established value of the bible is caloric.

Before we can talk about any other values of the bible, you will have to establish that it is the word of your god. You can't do that until you establish that your god actually exists.

You said, "Your responses are proof that you are highly deficient in this area and cannot begin to understand the Bible."
      No, no, no. The fact that we have a different understanding of the bible, only proves that you are wrong. You must not be a real christian. My interpretation is the only correct one. Just ask any of the 34,000 different christian denominations, sects and cults.

January 10, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
  4. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

January 9, 2012 at 7:34 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

Would it kill you to just say "Hi" once in a while? I feel so used and dirty.

January 9, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
    • just sayin

that is probably because you are.

January 9, 2012 at 7:55 pm |

@just sayin
      I toweled off! How dare you. (Don’t forget to take your towel!)

January 9, 2012 at 7:58 pm |
  5. The Central Scrutinizer

HeavenSent, I just want you to know how much I love you. Peace and Love.

January 9, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

Oh, and HS, I also hope your Lord and Savior continues killing innocent children as these deaths are no doubt pleasing to God, just as the Bible tells us. May you and believers like you rejoice in the slaughter! Amen

P.S. Don't forget to kill some animals and burn the fat and blood. God never told you to stop SINNER! You know how he loves the "sweet savour"! (You do know that right? You have…read the Bible right? I am sorry, I mean the “letter” from God…)

January 9, 2012 at 7:34 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Central, instead of complaining about said scriptures that you claim to detest, why not writing the lessons Jesus taught. After all, you've read them x-amount of times.

January 9, 2012 at 8:26 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

So HS, you admit the Bible is false? Finally.

January 9, 2012 at 9:12 pm |
  6. The Central Scrutinizer

Parallel Paradox

Pick two things. Any two things and compare.
    There will be a parallel.
    Simple example, things are round due to gravity. Starts, planets, most likely this Universe itself.
    What else is round? Too many things to count.
    What is Gravity like? A stone thrown in a pool. Parallel.
    You can try this with anything and always arrive back to a fundamental parallel of nature.
    So I ask, if there were a God, what is God’s parallel?
    I believe this path will lead to the unified theory and after that, matter itself. Find the fundamental parallel.

Eggs.
    Elliptical Orbits
    Cells
    Galaxies
    Everything has a fundamental parallel.

Try it and see. If you get stumped, let’s discuss!

January 9, 2012 at 5:30 pm |

*stars

January 9, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
    • OrangeW3dge

The rhyme to "orange"

January 9, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

Sporange, a very rare alternative form of sporangium (a botanical term for a part of a fern or similar plant) While this in itself is not a parallal (a rhyme) still when you look at plants there are parallels to virtually every living thing including astonishing perfections of mathmatics, which is really the whole point of the parallel theory. Nice start!

January 9, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
    • Gerry

Like a decentralized blind man? Gosh, what sort of parallel would there be?
      Do inform us of this at once, hp, and do not spare the eggs!

January 9, 2012 at 5:40 pm |
    • OrangeW3dge

Well, close. Even though it is spelled similarly, not rhyming. But I do wish some human would evolve enough to be able to "see" dark matter, as well as parrallel universes. It might just prove (or )disprove) this whole "God" thing. I personally don't see that it matters much on the bus trip to work and back, but it would straighten out some of the things people say all the time.

January 9, 2012 at 5:42 pm |
    • HeavenSent

OrangeW3dge, I'd like to see the atheists evolve enough to be on the same page so that those that do harm can't divide and conquer.

Christians are united. Can you say the same for the heathens? Therefore, keep going for that stroke of your egos and keep your view at myopic levels, never to see the big picture on anything.

January 9, 2012 at 5:52 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

Can anyone think of a parallel for HeavenSent? Can't wait to hear back on this...

January 9, 2012 at 5:56 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

"Christians are united"?

What a wackaloon.

January 9, 2012 at 6:01 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

Well this is my fault, I didn't really explain the theory very well but it is just for fun.

I meant more like.....the way a bead of water traces a path is parallel to the way a river meanders which is parallel to the way a galaxy navigates through space and often collides with another galaxy, like a river collides with a stream or a drop of water collides with another to make a larger drop.

January 9, 2012 at 7:08 pm |
    • DamianKnight

United in what way?

Read the history of Bloody Mary, Henry VIII and Martin Luther. Christians were killing Christians over doctrine quite a bit.

If you're speaking of doctrine, there's even discrepancy there. Try telling Catholics and the Presbyterians they have the same doctrine and see what happens.

I'm confused, in what way do Christians have unity?

January 9, 2012 at 7:13 pm |
    • GodPot

@DK – They are unified in passing judgement on others in contradiction to their own bible.

January 9, 2012 at 8:24 pm |
    • HeavenSent

DamianKnight, same way you sucking up oxygen today are responsible for the war going on. Oh, that's right, atheists jump off the planet during those durations and come back as carpetbaggers towards war end.

January 9, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
    • Eric G

@HeavenSent: Ok, enough is enough. I am your God. Now, play nice with the other kids or else no ice cream.

January 9, 2012 at 9:05 pm |
  7. OrangeW3dge

Once again you have taken it for Ganite. There are no mountains in Iowa.

January 9, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
    • OrangeW3dge

G-r-anite ,,granite

January 9, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
    • GodPot

I love how you corrected yourself but still got it wrong. It's "taken it for granted". Granted as in "the Queen granted another tltle to her favorite son" and has nothing to do with rock or stone.

Disregard if your post was an attempt to correct someone else s post that I missed.

January 9, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
  8. JohnQuest

This should have been easy, Consider the State Motto "Live Free or Die" (I think that include freedom of thought too)

January 9, 2012 at 5:10 pm |
  9. derp

The reason religion won't matter much in the NH primary is there are no Iowan jesustards to bugger up the election.

January 9, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
  10. The Central Scrutinizer

Hey, is this the Casey Anthony picking her nose blog?

Oh, while I am on the subject if sick-o's, where was God when Anthony's baby was being murdered? Come to think of it, where was God when the little girl in the previous story got cancer? Anyone? Anyone?

January 9, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
    • JohnQuest

The Central Scrutinizer, I'm starting to think that maybe you buried God in your backyard so no one would find him/her/it.

January 9, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

JQ if I could find that little bas.tard I would put it in a jar with holes poked in the lid and tap it with my pencil all day while playing the Carpenters.

January 9, 2012 at 5:16 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Central, those children's spirits are back with Jesus ... out of harms (devil) way. You ask and think on a carnal level. When you learn to think spiritually, you'll understand the answer to His truth. Therefore, keep thinking this world is all there is.

January 9, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
    • YeahRight

"You ask and think on a carnal level. When you learn to think spiritually, you'll understand the answer to His truth. Therefore, keep thinking this world is all there is."

Keep making excuses for something that doesn't exist and if it really existed it's a monster, not a god, allowing the killing of innocent children is the work of a tyrant.

January 9, 2012 at 6:24 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

HS I think God should quit killing innocent children. Oops, sorry there is no God. Which is quite obvious based on this conversation.

January 9, 2012 at 6:59 pm |
    • HeavenSent

All you atheists are such hypocrites. Last week you were backing stem cell research.
      I can tell by your postings, none of you are married and none of you have children (that you acknowledge and pay for).

January 9, 2012 at 8:34 pm |
  11. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

Here is a story for your entertainment. A local Pagan group was looking for a more weather free place to meet and worship. This is what happens when your numbers are growing and a lot of your members are middle-aged and too old to run around outside. They approached a number of places until, on a whim, they asked the local Congregational Church for permission to use their facility. From what I was told by the organizers, they had approached the Unitarians, but they tried to co-opt their ceremonies for their own use. The Congregationalists had no problem with sharing their facilities. This is kind of funny, especially to me, as the Congregationalists were the ones with the first Witch Trials in the colonies, right here in Connecticut!

January 9, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
    • Joe from CT, not Lieberman

Oh, I forgot – the group was in South Central New Hampshire.

January 9, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
    • JohnQuest

Joe from CT, not Lieberman, let go of our legs. Pagans are nature worshipers, they are suppose to be outside communing with their God (even in the middle of a Conn. winter.

January 9, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

Funny! I hope someone out there saves all the funnies on this blog. It would be great for a coffee table book.

January 9, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Joe, TG you're not Lieberman, the witch trials were to rid the area of women practicing midwifery. Guess who was against these women taking over their practice?

January 9, 2012 at 8:38 pm |
  12. The Central Scrutinizer

Even MORE fun with the Bible! The laughs just keep on coming!

Numbers

The Israelite population went from seventy (Ex.1:5) to several million
    (over 600,000 adult males) in just a few generations! 1:45-46

"And when the people complained, it displeased the Lord: and the Lord
    heard it." (He had his hearing aid on.) He then burns the complainers
    alive. That'll teach them. 11:1

God promises to give them "flesh to eat," not for just a few days, but
    "for a whole month, until it come out of your nostrils, and it be
    loathsome to you." Yuck. 11:20

God sends quails to feed his people until they were "two cubits [about a
    meter] high upon the face of the earth." Taking the "face of the earth"
    to be a circle with a radius of say 30 kilometers (an approximate day's
    journey), this would amount to 3 trillion (3×1012) liters of quails. At
    2 quails per liter, this would provide a couple million quails for each
    of several million people. 11:31

"Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the
    face of the earth." This is a strange way to describe one of the cruelest
    men to have ever lived (If he ever did live, which he probably didn't).
    Moses, as he is described in the Bible, is anything but meek (See
    Num.31:14-18 for an example of his "meekness"). 12:3

"And the Lord said unto Moses, If her father had but spit in her face,
    should she not be ashamed seven days?" Perhaps. But shouldn't God be
    ashamed for including such vulgarity in the Bible? 12:14

"And there we saw the giants ... And we were in our own sight as
    grasshopper, and so we were in their sight." According to this
    description, then, the giants must have been about 300 feet tall. These
    are the same giants (the Nephilium) that resulted when the "sons of God"
    mated with "the daughters of men in Gen.6:4. Of course these superhuman
    god-men should have been destroyed in the flood. So what are they doing
    still alive? 13:33

God gives more instructions for the ritualistic killing of animals. The
    smell of burning flesh is "a sweet savour unto the Lord." 15:3, 13-14,
    "If any soul sin through ignorance ..." but how can someone sin through
    ignorance? Don't you have to know that an action is wrong for it to be
    sinful? Oh well, if you do happen to sin through ignorance, you can be
    forgiven by God if you kill some animals. 15:27-30

Immediately after ordering the execution of the sabbath breaker, God
    gets down to some more important business - like instructing the people
    on how to make fringes on their garments. 15:38-39

Aaron is getting better at his magic tricks. He has rod bud, bloom, and
    yield almonds. 17:8

God describes once again the procedure for ritualistic animal
    sacrifices. such rituals must be extremely important to God, since he
    makes their performance a "statute" and "covenant" forever. Why, then
    don't Bible-believers perform these sacrifices anymore? Don't they
    realize how God must miss the "sweet savour" of burning flesh? Don't
    they believe God when he says "forever"? 18:17-19

The purification of the unclean. These absurd rituals, cruel sacrifices,
    and unjust punishments are vitally important to God. He even insists
    that they are to be "a perpetual statute" to all humankind. 19:1-22

God give instructions for burning the "dung" of sacrificial animals.
    This is something that everyone needs to know about (that's why it's in
    the Bible!). 19:5

Moses hits a rock with his rod and Presto! - water comes out. 20:11

God sends "fiery serpents" to bite his chosen people, and many of them
    die. 21:6

To save the people from God's snakes, Moses makes a graven image in the
    form of a snake (breaking the second commandment) and puts it on a pole.
    Those who look at Moses' magic snake to not die - even if they were
    previously bit by God's snakes. 21:8

God asks Balaam the non-rhetorical question, "What men are these with
    thee?" 22:9

God says to Balaam, "If men come to call thee, rise up, and go with
    them." Men come, and Balaam goes with them, just as cog had commanded."
    And God's anger was kindled because he went" - but he was just
    following God's instructions! 22:20-22

Balaam has a nice little chat with his ass. 22:28-30

God meets Balaam and "put a word in his mouth." 23:15-16

God has "the strength of a unicorn." Oh heck, I bet he's even stronger
    than a unicorn. 23:22

Balaam says "his king shall be higher than Agag." But Balaam couldn't
    have known about Agag since Agag didn't live until the time of King
    Saul. (See 1Sam.15:33 where Samuel hacks king Agag into pieces.) 24:7

God, who is as strong as a unicorn, will eat up the nations, break their
    bones, and then pierce them through with his arrows. What a guy! 24:8

In these chapters, God provides ridiculously detailed instructions for
    the ritualistic sacrifice of animals. The burning of their dead bodies
    smells great to God. Eleven times in these two chapters God says that
    they are to him a "sweet savour." 28-29

January 9, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Let me guess Central, you haven't a clue to what any of these scriptures mean either? Time to read the Bible for the 3rd time around (LOL).

January 9, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

HS, you don't have to guess. I put my opinions out there. You can do the same. No guessing, just tell me what you think. Substance HS. Substance. That is why NO ONE takes you seriously. You don't KNOW anything. Sorry, that is just the truth.

January 9, 2012 at 10:04 pm |
  13. Reality

Summarizing with a prayer:

(only for the newbies)

The Apostles' Creed 2011: (updated by yours truly and based on the studies of historians and theologians of the past 200 years)

Should I believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
    and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
    human-created, spirit state of bliss called heaven??

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
    preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
    named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
    girl named Mary. (Some say he was a mamzer.)

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
    the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
    a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
    Jerusalem.

Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by
    many semi-fiction writers. A descent into Hell, a bodily resurrection
    and ascension stories were promulgated to compete with the
    Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
    grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
    and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
    called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen

(references used are available upon request)

January 9, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
    • OrangeW3dge

Jesus Christ – Superstar
      Except that the Rabbi formerly known as Carpenter, was probably more of an itinerant Revivalist, complete with "miracles".

January 9, 2012 at 4:56 pm |

If He'd come today
      He could have reached the whole nation
      Israel in 4 BC had no mass communication

January 9, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
    • OrangeW3dge

"He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
      a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
      Jerusalem." – – –
      That may not be exactly true. A number of years ago a crypt was opened and the "caskets" removed and stored in a warehouse, as there was a construction project going on. From the inscriptions and historical descriptions, it may be that this was the family of Joseph and Mary. And within the crypt there was a casket, sort of hidden away, with the name Jesu on it.

January 9, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
    • .........

Hit report abuse on all reality garbage, do not read or respond other than to report abuse

January 9, 2012 at 8:28 pm |
  14. Jesus Is Lord! I Tell It True ! ! !

The truth of all can be found in God's inerrant scriptures, the Holy Bible, the good book, for all of us who love and kneel before the Lord shall inherit the great kingdom beyond, while everyone else . . . OH SOD IT! I never wanted to do this. I never wanted to rabbit on all day about lakes of fire and Jesus' returning soon but not when someone predicts he will. I...I...I always...wanted to be...a LUMBERJACK!

Leaping from tree to tree as they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia. The giant larch, the redwood, the mighty scots pine, the lofty flowering cherry, the limping rude tree of Nigeria, the towering wattle of Aldershaft, the maidenshead sleeping waterflowers. And with my best buddy by my side, we'd sing...sing... sing

Oh, I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay,
    I sleep all night and I work all day.

Chorus: He's a lumberjack and he's okay,
    He sleeps all night and he works all day.

I cut down trees, I eat my lunch,
    I go to the lavatory.
    On Wednesdays I go shopping
    And have buttered scones for tea.

Mounties: He cuts down trees, he eats his lunch,
    He goes to the lavatory.
    On Wednesdays he goes shopping
    And has buttered scones for tea.

Chorus: He's a lumberjack and he's okay,
    He sleeps all night and he works all day.

I cut down trees, I skip and jump,
    I like to press wild flowers.
    I put on women's clothing,
    And hang around in bars.

Mounties: He cuts down trees, he skips and jumps,
    He likes to press wild flowers.
    He puts on women's clothing,
    And hangs around in bars?

Chorus: He's a lumberjack and he's okay,
    He sleeps all night and he works all day.

I cut down trees, I wear high heels,
    Suspenders and a bra.
    I wish I'd been a girlie,
    Just like my dear pappa.

Mounties: He cuts down trees, he wears high heels?
    Suspendies...and a bra?

...he's a lumberjack and he's okay,
    He sleeps all night and he works all day.

...he's a lumberjack and he's OKAAAAAAAAAAYYY.
    He sleeps all night and he works all day.

January 9, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • Gerry

You didn't!

January 9, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
    • Lucifer

If Mr. God even exists than I imagine he made deals with dinosaurs to get a place in heaven too right?
      Riddle me this...why on earth did he wait million of years to create man? science project? getting to know the fish first?

January 9, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Lucifer, you babbled "What on earth are you talking about? Hey lets write a book and tell people its all true and offer them a nice kingdom if they continue to donate and be good and pay their taxes.
      I find it amazing in this day and age that people still believe in this fairy tale. In 2,000 years Mark Zuckerberg and Jobs will be the new Jesus. he wrote the book...the face book."

Answer: Thank you Jesus for sending us your letter (Bible) how to live the best life you want your children to live, how to think, believe, abide and come to your conclusions of righteousness, and learn how to put up with the heathens of this world that haven't a clue about anything and everything but haven't the sense to keep their mouths shut.

January 9, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
    • OrangeW3dge

HeavenSent: Clearly if you need a set of instructions to live your life correctly, or to even know "right" from "wrong" (or, left from right, for that matter), then it is probably a lost cause already. Just go join some group where one or two people stand up and tell all the rest what to do...

January 9, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
    • BNB42

Excuse me I'm here for an argument...

January 9, 2012 at 8:40 pm |
    • HeavenSent

OrangeW3dge, I live my life righteously, however, it didn't/doesn't prevent the non-believers destroying it they have NO BREAKS.

January 9, 2012 at 8:45 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

Oh yes HeavenSent you live you life so righteously. What could be more righteous than judging and condemning others to eternal torture. Your righteousness truly shows when everyone that doesn't agree with you is acting foolish, or when their interpretation of the bible is different than yours you are automatically correct. Humility is definitely one of your stronger traits as well.
      /sarcasm

As an aside if you plan on responding to this don't wait until the next day like you did on some of the other posts that's just cowardly and sad.

January 9, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
    • Michael Palin

So how did all this come out of the Lumberjack Song?

Und now fur zompzing kompleatly different, Der Lumberjack Zong en Deutsche!

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiVOG199X2c&w=640&h=360]

January 10, 2012 at 1:06 am |
  15. David Johnson

It is my prayer, that Santorum comes in dead last. In Jesus' name I pray.

Cheers!

January 9, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • Dinwande

I feel sure Santorum won't even get on the ballot. If he does, our Prez gets another four years automatically. We can't lose with the current crop. I think you can expect Huntsman to come from behind though and get the nomination. They are waiting for the right psychological moment to thrust him into the lead.

January 9, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@Dinwande: Unfortunately, Hunstman has no shot. Republicans look at him as just another, not-as-well-known Romney.

Which is a shame. Hunstman is the one Republican candidate I would vote for.

January 9, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
    • Gerry

The repugs know they're gonna lose. That's why they've let these idiots gather rosebuds while they may. They're just wasting time and raking in money. While everyone crowds around the pundits, the GOP continues their campaign to de-fund the left and make as many people as poor as possible. It's about de-funding the left, not religious values. And most of the left are already poor from helping others. The right doesn't help people. They are not following Jesus. They hate Jesus.

January 9, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
    • Dinwande

SeanNJ, you might be right. But if they suddenly all get behind Huntsman and he gets the nod, I'd be interested in seeing what you make of it all then, besides voting for him, I mean. I might come back here and say I told you so, but I don't think Huntsman can beat Obama. He's still a right-wing idiot without a lick of sense about economics, sociology, or equality.
      We don't need a slightly less retarded version of Bush junior, we need the right-wingers to quit acting against the interests of all Americans and actually do some work in DC instead of obstructing justice and everything just because Obama is Prez.

January 9, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
    • J.W

It seems to me that Huntsman is definitely the most liberal of these candidates, unless you meant to say Santorum there.

January 9, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
    • HeavenSent

David, Jealous that your name will never be nominated?

January 9, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
  16. hippypoet

religion shouldn't matter anywhere in this country... but why follow the rules in a country that clearly has one rule for the ruler and another for the ruled!

January 9, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
    • JohnQuest

hippypoet, Which Country doesn't work that way, if you know of one please let me know I can be on a plane in an hour

January 9, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Thanks for coming close to finally admitting that most of the atheists on this site are spin doctors for politicians (LOL).

January 9, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
  17. Nonimus

Why?... because of the chili?
    How is this a Belief article?

January 9, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
    • Nonimus

... or because RuPaul drew a bigger crowd than the candidates?

January 9, 2012 at 1:26 pm |
    • Gerry

Maybe religion won't matter because New Hampshire is going to be hit by a meteor or obliterated with multiple warheads or something.
      Otherwise there's going to be plenty of religious nuts flapping their hands and squealing over their favorite theocratic candidates. They're everywhere I don't want to be.

January 9, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
    • J.W

What are you talking about Gerry? Are you just mad at the world or something? Who said a meteor would hit NH?

January 9, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
    • Nostradamus

JW:

I did

January 9, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
    • J.W

Really Nostradomus? Specifically in NH? How can you be so sure?

January 9, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
    • Gerry

The only way religion isn't going to matter is if the whole population dies before the primary. What? Did you think I was serious?
      You lack reading skills, bub.

January 9, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
    • J.W

Well Gerry I am glad I am not an atheist. You seem very bitter and unhappy.

January 9, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
    • Nostradamus

JW:

Sure, I wrote this about 500 years ago, see if you can detect it

And lo when the seventh month dies
      a star will into the earth
      death and despair await the people of the newest hampshire
      Ron Paul is also going to be there

January 9, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
    • Gerry

Well, J.W., I am also glad you're not an atheist. Someone like you would bring down our high IQ average down...all by yourself.

January 9, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
    • Gerry

I took that back about J.W. on another page, btw, just in case y'all missed it.

January 9, 2012 at 6:07 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Gerry, come on, we all know you just pick C and win.

January 9, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
  18. J.W

Well gay marriage is already legal in New Hampshire. So they already know the republicans cant do anything about that.

January 9, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Yes, the gays in the world need to stop giving the politicians a subject to give, then take away. What a waste of money. May your legal partner not rake you over the coals in the courts like hetero partners do.

January 9, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
  19. The Central Scrutinizer

More Bible Fun!

Leviticus
    God gives detailed instructions for performing ritualistic animal
    sacrifices. such bloody rituals must be important to God, judging from
    the number of times that he repeats their instructions. Indeed the
    entire first nine chapters of Leviticus can be summarized as follows:
    Get an animal, kill it, sprinkle the blood around, cut the dead animal
    into pieces, and burn it for a "sweet savor unto the Lord." Chapters 1 –
    When you are making your animal sacrifices, be sure to remember that
    "all the fat is the Lord's." God loves blood and guts, but most
    especially fat. And he doesn't like to share! 3:16

"If a soul shall sin through ignorance...." But how can someone "sin
    through ignorance?" Don't your have to at least know that an act is
    wrong before it can be sinful? 4:2, 13, 22, 27
    If you touch any unclean thing (like a dead cow or a bug) or the
    "uncleanness of man" (?), then you'll be both unclean and guilty. 5:2-3

According to these verses it's possible to sin without even knowing that
    you've done something wrong. 5:15, 17
    Whatever touches the dead body of a burnt offering becomes holy. 6:25-27

Be careful what you eat during these animal sacrifices. Don't eat fat or
    blood - these are for God. (And he doesn't like to share!) 7:18-27

God gives instructions for "wave offerings" and "heave offerings." He
    says these offerings are to be made perpetually "by a statute for ever."
    Have you made your heave offering today? 7:30-36

Moses dresses up his brother Aaron with "the curious girdle of the
    ephod." 8:7-8

Moses does it all for God. First he kills an animal; wipes the blood on
    Aaron's ears, thumbs, and big toes. Then he sprinkles blood round about
    and waves the guts before the Lord. Finally he burns the whole mess for
    "a sweet savour before the Lord." 8:14-32

More killing, sprinkling of blood, waiving animal parts, and burning
    carcasses "before the Lord." 9:8-21

If priests misbehave by uncovering their heads or tearing their clothes,
    then God will kill them and "all the people." 10:6

God commands the Israelites to keep doing these wave and heave offerings
    "by a statute forever." 10:15

Clams, oysters, crabs and lobsters are abominations to God. 11:10-12

Be sure to watch out for those "other flying creeping things which have
    four feet." (I wish God wouldn't get so technical!) I guess he must mean
    four-legged insects. You'd think that since God made the insects, and so
    many of them (at least several million species), that he would know how
    many legs they have! 11:23

God's treatment for leprosy: Get two birds. Kill one. Dip the live bird
    in the blood of the dead one. Sprinkle the blood on the leper seven
    times, and then let the blood-soaked bird fly off. Next find a lamb and
    kill it. Wipe some of its blood on the patient's right ear, thumb, and
    big toe. Sprinkle seven times with oil and wipe some of the oil on his
    right ear, thumb and big toe. Repeat. Finally kill a couple doves and
    offer one for a sin offering and the other for a burnt offering. 14:2-32

Long, tiresome, and disgusting instructions regarding the treatment of
    men who have a "running issue" out of their "flesh." Very enlightening.
    "And if he that hath the issue spit upon him that is clean ..." 15:2-15

This passage tells you what to do if you get your "seed of copulation"
    on yourself, your clothes, or your partner. Thank God this is in the
    Bible. 15:16-18, 32

God explains the use of scapegoats. It goes like this: Get two goats.
    Kill one. Wipe, smear, and sprinkle the blood around seven times. Then
    take the other goat, give it the sins of all the people, and send it off
    into the wilderness. 16:6-28

"Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt
    not sow thy field with a mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled
    of linen and woolen come upon thee." I'm glad God told me about this, I
    was just about to do some of these awful things. 19:19

God tells the Israelites that the fruit from fruit trees is
    "uncirc.umcised" for three years after the trees are planted. 19:23

Don't eat anything with blood, don't round the corners of your head, mar
    the corners of your beard, make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead,
    or print any marks on you. 19:26-28

Stay away from wizards and people with familiar spirits. 19:35-36

Priests must not "make baldness upon their head, neither shall they
    shave off the corner of their beard." 21:5

The high priest shall not "go in unto any dead body, nor defile himself
    for his father, or for his mother." 21:11

Handicapped people cannot approach the altar of God. They would
    "profane" it. 21:16-23

Anyone with a "flat nose, or any thing superfluous" must stay away from
    the altar of God. 21:18

A man with damaged testicles must not "come nigh to offer the bread of
    his God." 21:20

A man who is unclean, or is a leper, or has a "running issue", or "whose
    seed goeth from him", or who touches any dead or "creeping thing" ...
    "shall not eat of the holy things, until he be clean." 22:3-5

God gives us more instructions on killing and burning animals. I guess
    the first nine chapters of Leviticus wasn't enough. He says we must do
    this because he really likes the smell - it is "a sweet savour unto the
    Lord." 23:12-14, 18

"If then their uncirc.umcised hearts be humbled ..." How can a heart be
    "uncirc.umcised"? 26:41

January 9, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
    • David Johnson

Here is some really fun reading from the bible:

Jesus is not coming back. There will be no rapture.

Matthew 24:36 "But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only."

Hmm... Jesus may not have known the day or the hour, but He did predict a 1st Century return. How can the Messiah and God incarnate be wrong? Can you think of a reason?

A number of New Testament passages indicate that Christ was supposed to return before his generation had died. This would have been sometime in the first century AD.

First, there is the testimony of Jesus himself, who explicitly stated that some of his disciples would not die until Jesus inst_ituted the Kingdom, and that his generation would not pass away until all his prophecies of the end of the world had been fulfilled:
      Matthew 16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

Matthew 23:36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.

Jesus' speech in 24 and 25 was given, when He was alone with His disciples.

Matthew 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Matthew 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
      In this discourse, Jesus makes a number of assertions about the fate of his disciples. One of the signs of the end would be the persecution of his disciples:

Matthew 24:9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

While tradition records that the disciples were persecuted and martyred, this was not followed by the return of Christ, as he promised. Would they die for a lie? Apparently... Or at least for something they were told and believed. LOL.

Jesus instructed his disciples to hurry because the time for preaching before his return was relatively short:

Mathew 10:23 When they persecute you in one town, flee to the next, for truly, I say to you, you will not have gone through all the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

Hmm... Seems like 2000 years and change, would be more than enough time. Even if you slept in and stopped for coffee. Let's see, Liar; Lunatic; or Lord. Or, the one I like, Fictional.

The Apostle Paul, too, seemed to think that Christ would return for his generation:

I Thessalonians 4:15-17 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
      Note that Paul twice uses the phrase '...we which are alive and remain...'.

This seems to preclude the theory that Paul was speaking of some far future generation. Paul made a similar assertion in First Corinthians:

I Corinthians 15:51,52 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

Note that Paul said that '...we shall not all sleep...'. In other words, he expected that at least some of his generation would not see death.
      Again, there is nothing in the text to indicate that Paul was speaking about some far future generation.

Paul reiterated his belief in a soon return of Christ in the Book of Romans:

Romans 13:11-12 And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.

And John:

1 John 2:18 Children, it is the last hour; and just as you heard that antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have appeared; from this we know that it is the last hour.

The other New Testament writers had similar thoughts about the iminence of Christ's return:

James 5:8 Be ye also patient; establish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh.

I John 2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

I Peter 4:7 But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer.

The Apocalyptic Book of Revelations repeatedly has Christ saying that he would return soon:

Revelation 22:20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly....

By no stretch of the imagination can 2,000 years be considered 'quickly' LOL

And, to say That a thousand years is like a day to the lord, is dumb. A thousand years is not like a day to humans. An almighty god would certainly understand what "quickly" would mean to humans.

Jesus was wrong. Jesus has been really busy being really dead, for the last 2,000 years. Or, He never existed.

According to historian Charles Freeman, Early Christians expected Jesus to return within a generation of his death. When the second coming did not occur, the early Christian communities were thrown into turmoil." – Wikipedia: Freeman, Charles. The Closing of the Western Mind: The Rise of Faith and Fall of Reason, p. 133. Vintage. 2002.

Cheers!

January 9, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
    • Gerry

"it is the last hour" – 2000 years ago. Sounds kind of like those "end-times" preachers who have been proven wrong again and again.
      Some will say "a thousand years is as a day" and might expect Jesus back in the year 3000 or so as they imagine the need for "three days" to be inserted somewhere. I won't say where, but you can guess where they are pulling these interpretations from.

January 9, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Reality is miffed that he didn't get invited to the bar-b-q.

January 9, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
    • Mike from CT

But how can someone "sin
      through ignorance?"
      Acts 17
      23For as I passed along and observed the objects of your worship, I found also an altar with this inscription, ‘To the unknown god.’ What therefore you worship as unknown, this I proclaim to you. 24The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man,b 25nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything. 26And he made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place, 27that they should seek God, in the hope that they might feel their way toward him and find him. Yet he is actually not far from each one of us, 28for
      “‘In him we live and move and have our being’;c
      as even some of your own poets have said,
      “‘For we are indeed his offspring.’d
      29Being then God’s offspring, we ought not to think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and imagination of man. 30The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent, 31because he has fixed a day on which he will judge the world in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed; and of this he has given assurance to all by raising him from the dead.”
      For before the law came to the gentiles, they were in ignorance of the law

For the text you quoted in chapter 7, I do not see the phrase forever
      “”God gives instructions for "wave offerings" and "heave offerings." He
      says these offerings are to be made perpetually "by a statute for ever.””
      But I do see the part where Christ is the propitiation
      Romans 3:24
      “being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: whom God set forth to be a propitiation, through faith, in his blood, to show his righteousness because of the passing over of the sins done aforetime, in the forbearance of God”

“Clams, oysters, crabs and lobsters are abominations to God. 11:10-12”
      You missed verse 2
      2“Speak to the people of Israel,” of God separating and consecrating a people for himself to make his glory known
      Vs how everyone is including in the saving works through Jesus Christ and this is the main flaw in the rest of your post.
      13And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” 14But Peter said, “By no means, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean.” 15And the voice came to him again a second time, “What God has made clean, do not call common.” 16This happened three times, and the thing was taken up at once to heaven.
      And the salvation to the first Gentiles.
      And
      God's treatment for leprosy:
      Matthew 8
      1When he came down from the mountain, great crowds followed him. 2And behold, a lepera came to him and knelt before him, saying, “Lord, if you will, you can make me clean.” 3And Jesusb stretched out his hand and touched him, saying, “I will; be clean.” And immediately his leprosy was cleansed. 4And Jesus said to him, “See that you say nothing to anyone, but go, show yourself to the priest and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a proof to them.”
      Handicapped people cannot approach the altar of God.
      2. Now there is in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gate a pool, in Aramaica called Bethesda,b which has five roofed colonnades. 3In these lay a multi.tude of invalids—blind, lame, and paralyzed.c 5One man was there who had been an invalid for thirty-eight years. 6When Jesus saw him lying there and knew that he had already been there a long time, he said to him, “Do you want to be healed?” 7The sick man answered him, “Sir, I have no one to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up, and while I am going another steps down before me.” 8Jesus said to him, “Get up, take up your bed, and walk.” 9And at once the man was healed, and he took up his bed and walked.

So unless you are a Leviticus priest do not live under the law but under the grace of Christ. Romans 6-8

January 10, 2012 at 11:30 am |
  20. JohnQuest

That's easy, they are smarter than (better educated) than their Southern Neighbors

January 9, 2012 at 1:18 pm |