home
RSS
January 9th, 2012

1. Lotte

I think also most Christians today do not know the context of the religio-political movement initiated by Jesus' reply, the movement to bring "the kingdom of God", meaning: to bring movement and establish a theocracy, in the midst of the Jewish people and the countries colonized in the first century AD.

And in consequence; ... Yesus Teokratis not Sekularis.

January 10, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
    • Brad

Your website is difficult to follow, but I think you suggest that Jesus wanted to establish a theocracy. You seem to reject anything that might contradict this. And you appear to have a particular problem with John- e.g. John 18:36 (Jesus before Pilate): Jesus said, “My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place.” But look at one of the synoptic Gospels (Luke): Once, having been asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, Jesus replied, “The kingdom of God does not come with your careful observation, nor will people say, ‘Here it is,’ or ‘There it is,’ because the kingdom of God is within you.” Clearly Jesus was not talking about a political system when he was speaking of the kingdom of God.

January 10, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
  2. JohnQuest

I don't understand Christians (or any other believers) quest to get to Heaven, it necessarily can not be any different then what we have here on Earth. According to the Christian belief system, evil is necessary for good, God can not create a place that is Only good, if God could create such a place, God could have ( and would have) created it here for his own people. So that only leads me to think that Heaven must be the same, having both good and evil, so what's the difference between heaven and earth?

January 10, 2012 at 8:56 am |
    • JA

as a believer I kinda understand where you are coming from.

"Heaven must be the same, having both good and evil"

as a believer, I struggle with this question: If Heaven is perfect, then why did satan revolt? Or even this: If God did not give angels free will, then how did satan get the idea to revolt? These aren't questions that are enough to change my belief, but it makes me think that maybe I don't have my facts right. I just don't know yet.

January 10, 2012 at 10:18 am |
    • JohnQuest

JA, Thank you for being very clear about your beliefs (and doubts). I am not a believer for the same reasons, the things one has to believe are just too incredible for me. Adam and Eve, the original sin, Noah and the flood, the origin in life (the whole universe for that matter), it just does not make sense that a conscious mind created all this for a purpose. I think we are just products of our environment no God needed or even possible.

January 10, 2012 at 10:29 am |
    • JA

Even though there are many people who believe differently, i think we are all in the same boat. We all thirst for knowledge, and sometimes we don't find answers. I dont think its because there is no answer, i just think its because we have stopped looking. I urge you to keep looking, and i will do the same. Maybe someday we can all lower the anchor.

January 10, 2012 at 10:44 am |
    • JohnQuest

JA, Agreed, we don't Know now and we may never Know. As long as we treat each other with respect and courtesy I don't see how it matters if you believe in a God and I do not.

January 10, 2012 at 10:59 am |
    • I = rubber, U = glue

@JohnQuest

I think it's tough to say there has to be evil in heaven. Why couldn't heaven for me be sitting on the beach drinking coronas all day? Although good is relative, and I think a perfect place would be completely different for every person. My perfect place would involve Cameron Diaz in a bikini but I would definitely not be in Ms. Diaz's perfect world. To me that makes heaven an unbelievable place, unless everyone has their own heaven.

January 10, 2012 at 11:21 am |
    • I = rubber, U = glue

Here is probably a better way of getting my point across.

My mom is a devout catholic, and will most likely go to the Christian heaven. I am an athiest and will most likely go to the Christian hell. How can my mom be in perfect bliss if my soul/spirit/ghost is in hell and not present with her in heaven?

January 10, 2012 at 11:27 am |
    • Chuckles

According to mystics, evil is actually just an overflow of gods justice that's out of whack. Not getting too in depth (considering the amount of space on this comment board) evil exists on earth because "god" is out of whack and the 12 different forms is takes is out of harmony. Our job is to put him back together. Taking this a step further to answer the initial post, couldn't you view any evil, whether it be on earth or in heaven as gods way of administering justice devoid of mercy? Using this line of thought, wouldn't the "evil" found in heaven be that on earth you are promised a perfect, blissful place but are actually faced with an eternity of someone else's heaven?

I'm running on about 2 hours of sleep and a cup of coffee so this really might be incomprehensible.

January 10, 2012 at 11:29 am |
    • Chuckles

I should probably add when I say mystics, I mean specifically jewish mystics. I have not had the chance to delve deeply into other mystics in the other two abrahamic religions though I know enough that they all fundementally disagree (surprise!).

January 10, 2012 at 11:41 am |
    • JohnQuest

My understanding of the Christian Bible is that Heaven and were the presents or absents of God respectively, not some place you go after death. I think that was changed sometime during early church history, I can understand why, those cats (church leaders) were getting rich here on earth while (maybe because) they were telling the the masses that true riches awaited them after death (as long as they gave up some of their worldly possessions to the church).

Just my thoughts what do you guys think?

January 10, 2012 at 11:44 am |
    • I = rubber, U = glue

Sorry, my posts did kinda derail from the comment that evil must be present with goodness. I still don't see how evil must be present for there to also be good. I don't see why I can't love my wife without also hating someone else as a reference point to measure that love. To me the feeling of love (good) can be present without the feeling of hate (evil).

January 10, 2012 at 11:56 am |
    • JA

@JQ

You are right that "they are the presence and absence of God" according to the bible. and according to the bible when Jesus was on the cross he told the repenting thief along side him that he would be in paradise with him that day. So i just put my hopes into that, that one day i will be there too when i have gone.

January 10, 2012 at 11:58 am |
    • JA

and too add just a bit to what i said:

He didnt say you will be with me in Heaven, but paradise. So maybe you are right that Heaven is just anywhere thats in the presence of God and the other is the absence. I would like to do more research on that topic though. thanks for bringing that up.

January 10, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
    • J.W

Well I have never gone to a church that told me I had to donate to go to heaven or anything like that. My church that I go to now rarely even talks about donating money if they ever do. I donate money because that money is needed for the church to operate, and the church has provided not only a place for me to worship, but also various activities, friends, and fellowship. As far as heaven and hell I will honestly say that I am not sure what will happen, so I do not really even think about them that much, although the idea of a hell does bother me a little, because it is like I want to think that the idea of hell that most people have is wrong, but what if I am the one that is wrong.

January 10, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
    • I = rubber, U = glue

@JW

I have only been to churches that ask you to give money so that they can operate. It has never been pay to get into heaven for me.

I don't agree with dismissing the heaven/hell discussion. That was a very big part of my Catholic upbringing. Don't sin, because sinning leads to hell, and this is what happens in hell. I see it as a large foundation of the church teachings and if it does not hold true then the whole religion is sketchy. This may not be the cause for all denominations but I know it is for midwest Catholics today.

January 10, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
    • Chuckles

@JohnQuest

I've heard it's similar to that, but there's still a distinct "place". Depending on what religion you follow (except for buddhism, who's main goal is to achieve non-existance) this place either means you have a form, you retain memory and personality, and you bask in the glory of god, which presumably should be enough to have eternal happiness. Judaism sort of stops there and sort of states that hell is being aware of heaven's existance and not being allowed in (sort of like earth?). Christianity, as I understood it has taken it a step further by really outlining what goes on in heaven (namely Lucifers fall) and hell actually being a separate place. Islam also took it a step further and outlined specific things you receive on your entry into heaven and what will happen if you go to hell.

January 10, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
    • JohnQuest

This will be kinda awkward, but I go to church about 2 -3 times a month and "donate" ti-thes which I am happy to do, I can see where the money is going. I have never been a believer my children are not believers but I still think the church is an important part of our community. (I do think we can live very well without it but I don't see that happening in my life time)

I was referring to the early church when the common folk were encouraged to pay for indulgences to get into Heaven.

January 10, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
    • JohnQuest

The idea of Heaven and he-ll has changed over the centuries, I think now the religious community is getting back to the early teaching. Young people are hard pressed to believe in a physical Heaven and He-ll.

January 10, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
    • J.W

Yeah the early church did require to pay money to get into heaven, but those practices were deemed as corrupt by many, which is a big reason why the Protestant reformation occurred. I think there were a few other corruptions that led to it, but indulgences is the main one.

January 10, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
    • JohnQuest

Agreed, that was one of the main reasons why Martin was unhappy.

January 10, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
    • fred

Without getting off track God through the Bible gives us a glimpse of Heaven and there is no evil in that Kingdom of God. The Bible is very consistent and repeti-tive on key issues. The first Garden was created for man and there existed the tree of knowledge of good and evil and the tree of Life. So you can say evil was present yet it had no power or affect. Like the tree of Life both require positive action by man and require a choice. This is related to free will that exists within the limits (Garden) man is given. Man rejected God, Gods direct clear warning and all that comes with being in perfect unity with God.
      Fast forward to Jesus we have; the lamb of God, the tree of Life, the living waters etc. Jesus is now the key to once again being in perfect unity with God. Man is still evil or has the capacity for evil since having first tasted the knowledge of good and evil. Unity with God comes by giving yourself over to Jesus because it is in Jesus that we can have life eternal with God. In short man must make a choice for the tree of LIFE as it was from the beginning. The Bible says you will be a new creature and Jesus says you must be born again of the Spirit. Now we have your “soul” filled with the Holy Spirit that guides us in all truth which is in Christ. That is what gets into the Kingdom your soul which is in Christ covered by His perfection that is acceptable to God.
      No matter what we do our sin / evil is not acceptable to a Holy God. Only that which is in Christ is acceptable and that is what we will find. The Bible says only the fruits of the Spirit are stored up in the Kingdom and they are; love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness. That is what we will find in the Kingdom

January 10, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
    • Chuckles

A big part about heaven and hell mainly comes down to being able to show reward/punishment for being a good believer. It changes depending on culture and depending on how open the religion is. You need more of a quantifiable place for heaven and hel.l for people who can elect to become part of the religion with ease. Heaven becomes a glorious place where you will get (insert awesome prizes here) and hel.l is the opposite. Part of the deal with entering a religion easily is that you can leave just as easily, so they need more enticement/punishment to keep you. For jews it's a lot move va.gue because being jewish is a culture, heritiage and a way of life. I've stopped attending synagogue, I don't consider god to actually exist, however I'm still a jew and regardless of whereever I go, I'll still be a jew. Jewish theolgy didn't need to focus on rewards for being a believer because you either are a chosen one or you aren't. Instead the focus primarily shifted into what made the jews so special and why it was important to keep observing here on earth and endure the persecution. I mean, if I'm going to be persecuted regardless of my personal beliefs, then having a story about how me and all the people I care about may go through hard times, but it's because I'm chosen, and god chose me and will reward me based on my heritage makes the persecution a lot easier.

January 10, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • Chuckles

@Fred

and you don't consider the serpent in the garden evil? Here I thought christians believe the serpent to be satan himself, so clearly evil was present in the garden before adam and eve ate the apple and understood what good and evil was......

January 10, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
    • JohnQuest

fred, what happens to all those countless Billions of people that has never heard of Jesus, they are just written off as loss. You can not blame them for not knowing about Jesus if they died before Jesus got here? If you believe in the Garden of Eden then you have to believe in the original sin, how fare is it to punish your decedents for something you unknowingly did?

One it's face it does not make any sense.

January 10, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
    • J.W

If each person had their own heaven I wonder if each person has their own hell. If your heaven would be Cameron Diaz in a bikini, maybe your hell would be something like John Goodman or Rosie Odonnell in a bikini.

January 10, 2012 at 12:50 pm |
    • J.W

I am not sure about the whole original sin thing. There is a passage that says you will not be punished by the sins of your fathers or something like that. I think that it is possible for God to have an effect on the lives of a believer, but I do not think he is continuously punishing us just for being human. I think the story of Adam and Eve is not literal but an illustration of when the human mind began to separate certain acts as good or evil. There must of been a time when the ideas of good and evil did not exist.

January 10, 2012 at 12:57 pm |
    • JohnQuest

Fred seems to take it literately, I agree is reads like a parable about the consequences of making decisions (good or bad).

January 10, 2012 at 1:01 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@J.W: You said, "I think the story of Adam and Eve is not literal but an illustration of when the human mind began to separate certain acts as good or evil."

Even atheists would be content with the Eden story under that assumption, but that effectively makes the reason for the Jesus story moot, right? The whole thing is kinda dodgy to begin with, but when you remove redemption from original sin as motivation, the story really starts to fall apart.

January 10, 2012 at 1:14 pm |

JohnQuest
      If you want to know what God says about good and evil in Heaven you need to go to the Divine word of God. If it is not Divine it is nothing more than if I was to assembe a bunch Chuckles Great Posts. Chuckles may well be the reincarnation of Martin Luther but this time he is going after the entire Kingdom of God. Martin Luther had 100 reasons posted on the church door. If the Bible is not Divine then I really would become a follower of Chuckles because he has 10 good reasons for every one that Martin posted.

January 10, 2012 at 1:29 pm |

J.W
      To say there must have been a time when good and evil did not exist goes against the core of creation. In the beginning God created. If God always was and is all knowing etc then he would havd had knowledge of it in the beginning.

January 10, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
    • JohnQuest

fred, do you Believe the story of Adam and Eve are actual events or just a parable? Your answer will reflect on how you view the Divinity of the Bible, If it is just a parable then Original Sin does not exist, (No need for Jesus), It it reflect actual events then it is Wrong (Humans as we know them originated over 200,000 years before the events in the Bible, which dates back only about 6,000 years).

January 10, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
    • J.W

God may have had that knowledge. I was just saying as far as humans were concerned.
      As far as original sin goes, I think there has been sin for all of human history, or most of it. I think there was a time that humans were like other animals that just relied on their instinct, but then when the human brain became more advanced then that is when the idea of good and evil came in. That is when people began to take advantage of others and commit atrocities against one another. I guess you can call it original sin in the way that that is when we began to have the idea of sin. But this is part of why I struggle with the heaven and hell idea, of hell especially. I see a loving God taking its people to heaven but not to hell. But if there is not hell then was Jesus there just to save his followers and take them to heaven, and the others would simply be separated from God? Or was Jesus trying to change this world into heaven? I think the problem is we don't know what heaven or hell is.

January 10, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@J.W: You said, "I see a loving God taking its people to heaven but not to hell. But if there is not hell then was Jesus there just to save his followers and take them to heaven, and the others would simply be separated from God? Or was Jesus trying to change this world into heaven? I think the problem is we don't know what heaven or hell is."

All belief in a heaven reeks of a "carrot-and-stick" mentality to me. Once you remove the threat of hell, there's still a carrot and stick, but you no longer have the rancher with the cattle prod behind you making sure you stay in line.

So the choice of an afterlife becomes, "You can live forever (presumably with memory of your current life) or you can cease to exist."

I'm personally OK with the whole ceasing-to-exist idea. Existing forever, I have to be honest, would suck. I'll go to Disney World, the self-pronounced Happiest Place on Earth, and after a week or so, I can'T WAIT to get home. Sitting around with nothing to do ever again on the other hand would get to be really shitty after awhile.

January 10, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
    • Gerry

J.W. >"As far as original sin goes, I think there has been sin for all of human history, or most of it. I think there was a time that humans were like other animals that just relied on their instinct, but then when the human brain became more advanced then that is when the idea of good and evil came in. That is when people began to take advantage of others and commit atrocities against one another."

How strange that you would ignore all the ways animals, including primates, take advantage of others and commit atrocities against one another. Have you ever studied primate behavior? They can gang up on others, form packs to attack other groups, treat each other in various nasty ways depending on the individual and we still do that stuff.
      Human behavior is an extension of primate behavior. They get jealous of s.exual rivals, share food, help one another and can attack one another. They will fight over territories and defend themselves and the groups they identify with against other individuals and groups. There was no massive change as such but a very gradual series of changes to our branch of the primate line.
      We still retain much of the primitive animal instincts within our psychological makeup. And we are not guilty of what other people did thousands of years ago.
      And Genesis is all about development of moral behavior and how that made God mad, so it has no credibility whatsoever.
      If anyone can explain how being moral would make a moral god mad, without sounding like a brainwashed idiot, please share it with the rest of us.

January 10, 2012 at 2:05 pm |

JohnQuest
      We know there is a problem with 6,000 years which is why God and the Bible never said 6,000 years. That time estimate is from man and I think you have heard as many explanations as I have which range from 6,000 to the time of the first hominids for dating Adam and 13.7billion years for creation. If that was the point of the story God would have stated it.
      Six days for creation works the best in keeping with the purpose of man and the story of the God redeeming a people for Himself called the Bible. Everything we need to know is right there if you are interested in a right relationship with God. Jesus said seek and you shall find. Low and behold it happens every time someone follows His guidelines. That is all I really know about that which cannot be seen or explained by science.

January 10, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • J.W

Gerry you may be right, but do animals know of good and evil. Do they intentionally do things just to be nasty, or do they believe that they need to do those things? Maybe some animals are intelligent enough to do rotten things, but maybe they think they have to defend their food or territory, and they do not realize that what they do is wrong.

January 10, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@fred: Do you mind if I ask what you do for a living? I'm curious.

January 10, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@J.W: You said, "Well Sean maybe if you were in heaven God would allow you to be reincarnated, kind of like the Hindus believe. Then you wont have to sit and do nothing for eternity. Or maybe you could be someone's guardian angel."

Ugh, seems like a pretty crappy "reward."

Option #1: You get to go back and do the whole thing over again without the benefit of the years of knowledge and experience you earned the first(?) time around.

Option #2: "Babysitter wanted. Must be available to work nights and weekends."

Can I have what's behind Door #3, Monty?

January 10, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
    • JohnQuest

fred, I don't think you answered the question, Do You Believe the story of Adam and Eve actually happened or is it just a Parable?

January 10, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
    • J.W

I think the 72 virgins are behind door number 3

January 10, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@JohnQuest: I'm pretty sure you stuck him in some sort of logical Mobius strip where his dissonance just feeds back on itself until the circuit breaker pops.

January 10, 2012 at 2:25 pm |

SeanNJ
      I am an Insurance Broker in the medical field.

January 10, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@J.W: Ok, but if I open that door and find 72 grapes, I'm going to be pissed! I might have to take that guardian angel gig just so I can get back and ruin the rest of your time here.

January 10, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
    • JohnQuest

fred, I sincerely apologize if it appears that I am putting you on the spot, I was only attempting to illustrate why we non believer have such trouble believing (some of us anyway), In order to believe you Have to accept a Logical Inconsistency (you have to Believe Both Q and not Q are true at the same time) I just CANNOT do that. ( Surprisingly, Believers only accept this when they are discussing God\Religion, no other situation have I ever heard a Believer say that something is true and not true at the same time).

January 10, 2012 at 2:39 pm |

JohnQuest
      Just looking at the story of Adam and Eve I see Moses attempting to record his world view of the origin of the chosen ones. If God told Moses about hominids his brain would explode. Moses took what he knew and experienced then put it in writing. In just a few lines about Adam and Eve everything we need to know about good and evil was recorded. Everything we need to know about how we became such a missed up people was contained in those few lines. Everything we need to know about those silly rituals and sacrifice was in those few lines. The conflict of good and evil to this day revealed. The rejection of God revealed. The complete explanation of why there is pain, suffering, toil and death. The end to the serpents conflict with man is revealed. God as active in his creation and has control over all events is revealed.
      I do not know of a single writer to this day that has so completely expressed in so few words the existence of man from beginning to end. That is Divine.
      Thousands of years later we are still governed by these fundamentals. That is Divine.

January 10, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@fred: You said, "Just looking at the story of Adam and Eve I see Moses attempting to record his world view of the origin of the chosen ones. If God told Moses about hominids his brain would explode."

So am I correct that you're saying that Genesis is just Moses' "world view," and you don't accept it as a literal recounting of man's origins?

January 10, 2012 at 3:14 pm |

JohnQuest
      I disagree with you that the account of Adam and Eve must be all parable or all actual events in order that original sin is relavent. About 1400 BC Moses needed to express how man could reject a perfect place with God. Well serpents are very tricky they hiss, slither and bring death. Not to mention that forked tonge of a deceiver. Other cultures had serpents that were evil so it sounded like a good choice. The people of Moses day could go for this and understand the symbolism. Just how does it matter if it was a serpent or the serpent was symbolic of deception? What difference does it make if Adam was Ho.mo Neandertalensis or the symbolic representation of the first chosen one of the Hebrews?
      The Hebrews understood and Christians understood that to reject God brings separation from God. Does it matter if original sin was eating an apple which broke the trust between God and man or entertaining the thought of rejection then acting on it? Was it that Eve found it pleasing and is that different from Ho.mo Neandertalensis finding flesh pleasing then choosing the things of the flesh over the word of God? Do we not do that today? Does it matter if the sins of the father are passed to the son genetically or culturally? Evil is real and good is real in man. We see it today how can we be freed from this original sin?
      What am I missing here that says the account of Adam and Eve as given by Moses is not Divine?

January 10, 2012 at 3:56 pm |

SeanNJ
      Moses was a man like you and just as you have a world view he had one also. He was raised in house that believed in the gods of Egypt and conflicted by Hebrew whisperings of God. After 40 years in the desert with God he had some world view and it came out in his way of life and writings. Gods inspiration throughout his life and during the writing of Genesis is revealed in a Divine manner.
      It even makes for a great Hollywood script. One can see it as simply entertainment or a sudden change in life brings you face to face with the power of the living God and you see Genesis through the eyes of God rather than a materialist

January 10, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
    • Jenna

Everything, fred. You're missing everything.

It's just horrible to see someone in the throes of a cult. It's like talking to someone in a padded cell through a little square hole knowing there's nothing we can do to make you sane again. Horrible.

January 10, 2012 at 4:10 pm |

Jenna
      Please give me one specific. Thanks

January 10, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
    • Jenna

fred, talking to you is terribly depressing since you are so mentally ill. I truly wish there was someway to help people like you.
      It wouldn't matter what I list, fred. That's the whole problem. You refuse to listen to anything that you think will threaten your religious beliefs. It wouldn't matter because you're sick, fred. Sick. Modern medicine can only try to treat your symptoms, not actually cure you of your illness.
      It's very sad and depressing to see anyone do what you do, fred. And I don't see what good it does to play your games at all.
      I don't need to humor your sick fantasies by giving you more facts for you to deliberately ignore.
      Seek help, fred, it's what you should do.

January 10, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
    • J.W

Well then list one out for me Jenna.

January 10, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
    • Jenna

Sorry, J.W, I am done wasting my time with schizophrenics like you and fred.
      I am not a therapist. Go find someone who cares what you think. I've had it with you people.

January 10, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@Jenna: I think fred is a full-blown whackadoo too, although you might be overstating how much of an impact that would have on his being functional in daily life.

However, JW is correct. You can't make a claim and then follow that up with "well it doesn't make a difference if I justify it because you won't believe it anyway."

Give a particular example and prove your point. If you do it well enough, people reading the results will get it, even if fred doesn't...which, I think, is the point...right?

January 10, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
    • SeanNJ

I'm having one of those rare days where I really AM smarter than everyone else. Yay!

January 10, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
    • J.W

Can you point out exactly what I said to make you think I was schizophrenic? And if you do not have an opinion on the article itself, then why comment at all? Are you only here to antagonize people?

January 10, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
    • Jenna

fred
      How old is the universe?

January 10, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
    • Jb

its funny how this post started out about respect. then you add a lil estrogen from jenna and all hell breaks loose. go take some midol wench!

January 10, 2012 at 6:05 pm |
    • fred

Jenna, we really do not know. At best we make a series of assumptions then come up with a number. In 1654 it was believed the earth was formed at 6 p.m. on 22 October 4004 BC. Then in the 18th century it was estimated to be millions of years old. In 1958 the oldest stars were 25 billion years old yet today everyone is claiming the universe is 13.7 billion years old.
      Materialists desire to be correct based on physical evidence other men agree on. So they would stake a claim on 13.7 billion years knowing full well science has never gotten this right. That is my definition of insanity not someone who reads the Bible and is a theist

January 10, 2012 at 6:12 pm |
    • Jenna

I see some little piece of shlt has hijacked my name again. That was not me asking about the age of the universe.
      To hell with this crap. If you guys want to pretend you're clever when you really aren't, go ahead. I'm not playing your games.

January 10, 2012 at 11:50 pm |
  3. Mirosal

@ HeavenSent .... the more you expound upon how much we NEED to folow your 'god' the more it sounds like a dictatorship. "Follow MY rules or burn forever" ... hmmmm.. a few decades on this planet, and if you say "no" then it's eternity in fire ... does that sound like a just 'god' to you?. Second .. it isn't that we HATE your dead guy jesus. We have no belief that he was the son of a deity, that's all. Hercules was the son of Zeus, with a mortal mother. Things were written about him as well. His strentgh, his 12 labors. Why does no one follow that son of a god?

January 10, 2012 at 7:25 am |
    • TruthPrevails

You will notice that HS is refusing to answer you...poor deluded sap is off praying for your apparent soul.

January 10, 2012 at 8:00 am |
    • Chad

@Mirosal "Why does no one follow that son of a god (Zeus)?"

=>because Zeus wasn't real, and Jesus Christ is.

January 10, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • claybigsby

"=>because Zeus wasn't real, and Jesus Christ is."

proof needed for this statement. Bible verses do not count as proof...

January 10, 2012 at 1:11 pm |
    • DamianKnight

@Clay

You asked for proof of Christ living, outside of the Bible:

"Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous supersti.tion, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judæa, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular. Accordingly, an arrest was first made of all who pleaded guilty; then, upon their information, an immense multi.tude was convicted, not so much of the crime of firing the city, as of hatred against mankind" – Publius Cornelius Tacitus, Roman Historian, AD 56 – AD 117

January 10, 2012 at 1:34 pm |
    • Really?

"You asked for proof of Christ living, outside of the Bible:"

Just because you can prove Jesus lived doesn't prove he was the son of a god. There are many sources and proof that Santa Claus was a real person, doesn't mean the stories that evolved from it make it true he gives gifts all over the world today. DUH!

January 10, 2012 at 2:53 pm |
    • DamianKnight

@Really,

You might want to read the context of what was asked before you hit the "reply" button.

But since you missed it, I'll repeat it here::

""=>because Zeus wasn't real, and Jesus Christ is."

proof needed for this statement. Bible verses do not count as proof..."

The question was, did a person named Jesus Christ exist? If so, prove it without using the Bible. So I provided a secular source showing that Christ did indeed exist. I was not asked to prove the divinity of Christ outside of the Bible, merely that he existed.

So I did.

Proving the divinity of Christ is a different subject altogether.

January 10, 2012 at 3:05 pm |
    • fred

The standard for what is proof, in the case of a divine being, should be very high. The consequences could be serious.

January 10, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
    • Jenna

fred, if the standards should be high, why are your standards so damn LOW? You don't make much sense for a believer.

January 10, 2012 at 4:13 pm |

Jenna
      The above fred is an imposter

January 10, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
    • J.W

great another person going around stealing people's names.

January 10, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
  4. Mirosal

No god has ever been shown to exist. of the thousands that have been 'known' throughout human history, why is yours different? ALL of them have eventually fallen out of favor. What will you do when yours does also? Three days ago, Tallulah13 asked you point-blank what denomination you belong to. You replied "none" and that you spend your time studying and researching on your own. What a wasted life. Get your head out of that book and see the real world. I have seen the places you've only read about, and have met people from all over the world, on THEIR turf. Just because this Earth exists, implies in NO way that any 'god' exists. All you are reading is more myths from others who are also deluded to support your "claims'.

January 10, 2012 at 7:15 am |
  5. Mirosal

@ HS .. TruthPrevails was referring to my post about "Atheism is not healthy" 's post. All he/she can post is that prayer changes things. That's all it can say, and will not answer a single question. Put your arrogance aside, it wasn't about you. You've already admitted you belong to no church, yet you are a self-proclaimed "scholar". A bible-thu'mper who doesn't affiliate with anything? You want your OWN monument to mythology (church), don't you?

January 10, 2012 at 6:32 am |

January 10, 2012 at 6:40 am |
    • HeavenSent

Mirosal, I never claimed anything that you posted. I read the Bible, then continued to research His truth with wiser Christians as is written. If you have a problem with Christians learning Jesus' truth. You own your problems. It's easy to be lazy, take from non-believing sites that bash Jesus truth because they, like anyone that argues against Jesus, has issues you need to deal with. As for me, I find Jesus' teachings fascinating. Always have, always will, as I continue my life searching His truth.

January 10, 2012 at 7:01 am |
    • HeavenSent

TruthPrevails, you're babbling again with your post "Yes and no, in an earlier post I did point out that HeavenStinks is not capable of doing much more than using the threat of hell on people. HS has been on here on numerous other posts only spewing hatred and scripture (one in the same in most cases) without being willing to back it with anything other than its own interpretations.
      As for Atheism is Not Healthy...well, not much one can say about those delusions...poster child for the APA."

Answer: First, I never use the word "HELL". The phony heavensent uses it, but, I know it's called the eternal flames. Two, I've told everyone numerous times in these articles, do what you want to do, you hate Jesus, even though Jesus loves you. Therefore, if you don't want to abide in His rules, He has no need for you through eternity and you opted not to make it there. Your choice and Jesus will oblige you with your choice. Third, I don't spew hatred. If you find His truth hateful, again, you have issues you need to deal with. Get over yourself and start working on it. As for crying about you can't knock Christians down. Boo hoo. You're the one deceived. Not us.

January 10, 2012 at 7:10 am |

January 10, 2012 at 7:18 am |
    • HeavenSent

TruthPrevails, you posted "@HS: How are we deceived exactly? We are not the ones claiming there is a deity out there looking out for us when there is no evidence to back it! Religion has deceived you...there is not solid evidence to back it. Not one person can say there is proof that said god ever existed outside of mans word written in a book and inspired by man. Unlike you, we admit we don't know and for you to think you do or to even claim it, makes you a liar. Mayvbe if you learned the history of the book you hold so close to your heart and learned to live by evidence as we have it today things would be different. We have chosen not to be deceived by falsehoods and lies meant to control us...we see no reason to fall for it or allow our lives to be dictated in that way."

Answer: I'm tired of the atheists cooky cutter excuses (cough ... answers). Did you ever think (yes, do try) that Jesus teaches man (meaning women too) how to be the best that He wants us to be? His teachings set you free, your man made answers about control come from folks on your non-believers site that are getting to your egos and using the terminology control.

More to the answer when I have time.

January 10, 2012 at 7:26 am |
    • HeavenSent

Prevails, the book you really need to get a hold of read is the Talmud. You are being played by the folks that relish this book and use and abuse everyone.

January 10, 2012 at 7:28 am |
    • TruthPrevails

@HS: Why would one consider that jesus taught anything when there is not evidence that he even existed? Why is it not okay for one to live without the myth? You do not have any form of evidence to back you. Read below...Jim made a very valid point about faith and it sums it up in pretty simplistic terms that even you potentially could understand. You are the one being deceived...by living for something that has no evidence to back it, you are living a lie. Why can't you just live the one life you are guaranteed of and be happy with that? Why does it bother you so much that society lives in accordance to the rules of the land and not the rules of the buybull? Is life really that frightening? When you reference anything about satan, you don't have to use the word 'hell'...we're not stupid...we know what you are referring to and it is one in the same.
      You will never convince us we are wrong and sadly enough we will never convince you...it is sadly the one thing that separates us from ever being able to get a long in this world. To me your stance is a pathetic excuse for living and I imagine you feel the same about us Atheists.
      I refuse to argue with you...it's simply not worth my time or energy any longer. I do not feel I am wrong, so it's time to let you have your delusions and see for yourself when the end comes and nothing is there!

January 10, 2012 at 7:34 am |
    • HeavenSent

Prevails and Mirosal, have either of you read satan "deceives the whole world" (Revelation 12:9), but who causes him to do so? Yehvah (Lamentations 3:37-38; Romans 11:36). Illustrated in the prophecy of the "strong delusion."

For this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, . . . (2 Thessalonians 2:11).

All your questions are answered in the Bible if you shelf that ego that rejects Jesus' truth and read with innocent eyes to see and open yourself up so that you have ears to hear His wisdom.

January 10, 2012 at 7:53 am |
    • TruthPrevails

@HS: Using the buybull to provide answers is circular reasoning and therefore, does not help your case. Try finding a different source for the answers and then come back to us. Keep in mind that we have already stated the facts: the buybull was written by man; inspired by man; no evidence exists for god or jesus (or at least that he was anything more than an average man); no evidence exists for any form of afterlife....these are not disputable....there is enough evidence to back them.

January 10, 2012 at 7:58 am |
    • fred

HeavenSent, slow down. Relax. Pet one of your many cats.

January 10, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
    • Fookin' Prawn

Carnal babbling. My favorite!

January 10, 2012 at 3:59 pm |
    • fred

The above fred is not fred

January 10, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
  6. Mirosal

@ Athiesm is not healthy ..... is that ALL you can say? Just answer ONE question. Is this 'god' of yours omniscient? Yes or no ... is 'it'?

January 10, 2012 at 5:07 am |
    • TruthPrevails

Good Morning...I just keep hitting the 'report abuse' on the posts. Five hits and they remove the post. I don't think they know any other words or how to use a keyboard...copy and paste with a mouse is all they know. Apparently they know they are WRONG or they would be willing to defend their position but given that they can't defend it or at least refuse to proves how inept the person really is...I'd like to know what they believe prayer has actually done and what proof they have of this.

January 10, 2012 at 6:24 am |
    • HeavenSent

Peter and Patricia Pans never wanting to grow up so they Bash Jesus' truth.

January 10, 2012 at 7:15 am |
    • TruthPrevails

@HS: Provide the factual scientific date that backs what you say please. There is no proof that jesus said anything (if in fact he even existed).

January 10, 2012 at 7:19 am |
    • Jim

Heavensent can't provide any data, ever. Faith is defined as belief without evidence. That's why you never had faith that Santa existed, there was evidence, cookie crumbs, empty glass of milk and presents. It was also easy to dispel the belief in Santa, it just took a developed sense of reason that comes with age. Faith is much more insidious, it causes the victim to ignore the evidence around them that is contrary to their unsubstantiated belief system.

January 10, 2012 at 7:25 am |
    • HeavenSent

Prevails, do you atheists think we can start a new year without your circular arguments making folks chase their tales.

Sick. Your teachers corrupted your minds.

January 10, 2012 at 7:31 am |
    • Jim

@HeavenSent, interesting mis-spelling. Atheists do not chase tales, a tale is a work of Fiction.

January 10, 2012 at 7:34 am |

January 10, 2012 at 7:46 am |
    • HeavenSent

Prevail, I'm not playing your game. Therefore, why don't you atheists prove Jesus doesn't exist!

January 10, 2012 at 7:56 am |
    • TruthPrevails

@HS: The burden of proof lies on the one claiming jesus exists not the one claiming it doesn't exist...where is your proof?

January 10, 2012 at 7:59 am |
    • HeavenSent

TruthPrevails, you better be posting your truth in this writing "@HS: I'm still waiting on your scientific evidence that proves jesus existed. What we think is that you are living in the dark ages and not in accordance with the 21st century. We have come too far and been provided too much evidence that contradicts the buybull to still be believing in the stories. I grew up in a very christian home. My Mother found a renewed faith in god during her 7 long years of cancer and yet your god who apparently loves all his followers failed to assist her (she had 5 kids at home). Your god failed to save my 4.5 month old daughter from certain death (she was christened). Your god fails at every step. No amount of praying helped my child or my mother. To me your god is a delusion and a horrible one at that. I'm not angry at it any more because I have simply come to the conclusion that it does not exist...not enough evidence for it. I have done my own search for answers and the ones that best fit with what the world is are the ones science provides. Although science makes mistakes, they correct those mistakes...too bad the buybull doesn't do the same."

Answer: Your daughter and mother are back with Jesus who created all. Even though we pray for certain outcomes, we don't know everything. Jesus knows all and what is best. We may not think what happened was best, we just want our loved ones to be with us so we can take care of them. However, who better to take care of us, than Jesus. Your mom and daughter are we we aspire to be. Back with Jesus, when it's our time.

January 10, 2012 at 8:03 am |
    • HeavenSent

Correction: That should have read ...

However, who better to take care of us, than Jesus. Your mom and daughter are where we aspire to be.

January 10, 2012 at 8:06 am |

January 10, 2012 at 8:13 am |
    • HeavenSent

TruthPrevails, you posted "No HS, my mother and daughter are not with jesus or god...they both simply lost their battles due to unfortunate health issues. They are both lying in their graves. Don't try to use the feel good measure on me...it didn't work back then and it certainly doesn't work now. I at least accept that we only have one life and that they only had one life. Believing that there is anything more is only a feel good measure for people too afraid of the end. You still have failed to provide the evidence to back your claims...where is it? The reality is that you can't provide it and therefore skirt the question. Wow, amazing how brainwashed you really are!"

Answer: Your belief system about life on earth is sad. Jesus came to earth to conquer death. Death is evil (as you have found out). Your daughter and mom will have eternal life with Him when He returns. Right now they reside with Him in paradise. Of course, there is so much more to His truth if you care to read the His love letter He wrote to all of us (the Bible), this time with eyes to see His truth. If not, I'm praying that He touches you to turn towards Him and find convert in His truth and not the lies of satan that deceives everyone.

January 10, 2012 at 8:24 am |
    • HeavenSent

I'm typing too fast ... That was suppose to be comfort. Also, His love letter ... take "the" out.

January 10, 2012 at 8:27 am |
    • Really?

"Your daughter and mom will have eternal life with Him when He returns. Right now they reside with Him in paradise"

You have no proof of that, what a delusional statement. The crap people tell themselves is amazing. If we said your daughter and mom will have eternal life in Pandora, that person should be put in the loony bin or get some serious therapy. Yet put the word religion with it and you can be as delusional as you want.

January 10, 2012 at 8:30 am |
    • claybigsby

"Death is evil (as you have found out)."

Death is evil? how do you know this exactly?

January 10, 2012 at 8:50 am |
    • fred

HeavenSent, slow down. Relax. Pet one of your many cats. They need your love.

January 10, 2012 at 3:14 pm |

Heaven Sent
      That was not fred. Someone thinks it is cute being fred. Please disregard any posts by fred in this response.

January 10, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
  7. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things
    Spend time with God

January 10, 2012 at 4:59 am |
    • Mike

You're a poe, right?

January 10, 2012 at 10:11 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

The John Templeton Foundation funded a 10 year, $2.4 million dollar study involving 1,800 cardiac patients to measure the effectiveness of intecessory prayer.
      The patients were broken into three groups. Two were prayed for; the third was not. Half the patients who received the prayers were told that they were being prayed for; half were told that they might or might not receive prayers.
      Analyzing complications in the 30 days after the operations, the researchers found no differences between those patients who were prayed for and those who were not.
      Over the longer term, patients who knew they were being prayed for had a higher rate of post-operative complications like abnormal heart rhythms, perhaps because of the expectations the prayers created, the researchers suggested.
      A 1997 study at the University of New Mexico, involving 40 alcoholics in rehabilitation, found that the men and women who knew they were being prayed for actually fared worse.

Prayer does indeed seem to change things – for the worse.

January 10, 2012 at 10:13 am |
  8. TruthPrevails

I know that to some my opinion doesn't count here due to my citizenship but we have been watching this circus act of republitards since this began and all I can say is I'm looking forward to seeing Obama for another 4 years. (btw: before the fox news lover CA says it, there are 2 Canadian's that work for CNN...you might wish to complain to CNN about this or learn quickly to stfu about who gets an opinion...2 of us working for this station and the remainder being your closest neighbors gives us the right to an opinion...there's your sign).

As for HeavenStinks stupidity and rants...does her blindness really surprise anyone? She is so insecure she feels the need to threaten everyone who disagrees with her delusions with a made up place (one that even she can't prove exists....although she seems to think she has divine knowledge-her cats and pet snake told her so). Why she cares so much about what we think or where we end up is beyond any normal persons realm of thought...would it not please her (and us) to know we won't be where she is (not that it is any place other than a hole in the ground)? I'd like to see proof of her degree is theology since she claims to have all the knowledge possible on the buybull. One minute she says the buybull is the word of god and the next she says it is the word of jesus...neither of which she has provided evidence for the existence of. I think this woman lives alone in a one room shack in the middle of nowhere; only owns one book (the buybull); has been disowned by her family; never had children (or at least we can hope); is a 90 year old virgin (no man could be that stupid or drunk) and only has this site and her pets to talk to (kind of like the talking serpent). What a sad life she lives. I'd love for once to hear her admit that she really doesn't know for sure...if she is unable to do this, she is a hypocritical liar who can't be trusted.

January 10, 2012 at 4:57 am |
    • HeavenSent

Lies Prevails, So, Jesus' truth that I post is getting to you? I'd say, you made my morning.

January 10, 2012 at 6:22 am |
    • TruthPrevails

@HS: Provide the evidence for it being jesus' truth or go back to your cave you troll! Nothing written about the man was done so by people who actually met him and was all done numerous years after it died. Your hypocrisy is sad. You can't admit you don't know with any degree of certainty so you use a book written by man, inspired by man to defend yourself. You use threats of a place that has never been proven to exist...you live a sadly deluded life. At least most Atheists are being honest and live for the present not the past. Time to grow up and toss that buybull out.

January 10, 2012 at 6:28 am |
    • HeavenSent

Prevails, I've tried to post 3 times a response to you, but, sadly, it's being blocked.

Use your imagination of what I'd write to you.

January 10, 2012 at 7:33 am |
    • TruthPrevails

@HS: point is that you are unable to provide the answers to the the question at hand.

January 10, 2012 at 7:48 am |
    • HeavenSent

Prevails, tell me why scientist still can't explain "where it all came from". Too much for you go grasp? As far as anyone knocking Jesus' truth it all comes down to their jealousy that they didn't create All. He did.

January 10, 2012 at 8:30 am |
    • Really?

" As far as anyone knocking Jesus' truth it all comes down to their jealousy that they didn't create All. He did."

LOL! Jealousy? Wow the stupid things you tell yourself for why people don't buy into your delusion. It's not jealousy sweetheart, it's disgust that gullible people like you exist in the world. From the posts you've put on this blog you are nothing but a bitter hateful person, so we are not jealous of that either, just more disgust. That's the problem with your negative attitude, you've been this way for so long you've become too delusional to see it.

January 10, 2012 at 8:37 am |
    • TruthPrevails

@HS: The Big Bang is the best we have and that is satisfactory for most people...we don't plug the god of the gaps in to appease the unknown. As for jealousy...are you completely stupid or is it a facade? No jealousy required when we don't believe jesus existed...hard to be jealous of the non-existent. Once again provide the evidence that he existed and stop using the arrogance of the buybull for your answers. Why is it so difficult for you to state you don't have the answers?...that would be the honest stance but instead you come here and lie to appease yourself...nothing more. Does life and reality/unknown frighten you that much?

January 10, 2012 at 8:44 am |
  9. TRUTH

My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust? If the whole show was bad and senseless from A to Z, so to speak, why did I, who was supposed to be part of the show, find myself in such a violent reaction against it?... Of course I could have given up my idea of justice by saying it was nothing but a private idea of my own. But if i did that, then my argument against God collapsed too–for the argument depended on saying the world was really unjust, not simply that it did not happen to please my fancies. Thus, in the very act of trying to prove that God did not exist – in other words, that the whole of reality was senseless – I found I was forced to assume that one part of reality – namely my idea of justice – was full of sense. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never have known it was dark. Dark would be without meaning.
    C.S. Lewis

January 10, 2012 at 3:02 am |
    • HellBent

Lewis spins a good line. In the end you end up thinking, 'yeah, I guess that makes sense'. But his arguments fall apart pretty quick upon closer examination. Take the above, for instance. Calling the universe cruel and unjust (rather pessimistic, I must add, but given that those lines were written after living in Britian through two world wars it's an understandable viewpoint) is assigning human values to something that doesn't have any. I might as well call a rock righteous or a blade of grass happy. Just because I call a rock righteous, doesn't make it so. And a righteous rock still wouldn't be proof or disproof of a god. Humans can easily assign values of good or bad to various things and actions, but it is all relative to our experience, and good and bad often depends on which side of the action you're standing on (e.g. one man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist).

Lewis should have stuck to the children's and sci-fi books.

January 10, 2012 at 3:11 am |
    • Truth

"the laws of nature, life with its teleological organization, and the existence of the universe–can only be explained in the light of an Intelligence that explains both its own existence and that of the world. Such a discovery of the Divine does not come through experiments and equations" There Is A God, pg. 155

Antony Flew

January 10, 2012 at 3:37 am |
    • HellBent

"the laws of nature, life with its teleological organization, and the existence of the universe–can only be explained in the light of an Intelligence that explains both its own existence and that of the world."

'I don't know, so god must have done it' is an intellectually lazy argument to coddle the weak minded. It didn't work when the ancients tried to explain the rising of the sun or the tides, and it doesn't work here. Logic fail.

January 10, 2012 at 8:47 am |
  10. Reality

Summarizing with a prayer:

(only for the newbies)

The Apostles' Creed 2011: (updated by yours truly and based on the studies of historians and theologians of the past 200 years)

Should I believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
    and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
    human-created, spirit state of bliss called heaven??

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
    preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
    named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
    girl named Mary. (Some say he was a mamzer.)

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
    the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
    a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
    Jerusalem.

Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by
    many semi-fiction writers. A descent into Hell, a bodily resurrection
    and ascension stories were promulgated to compete with the
    Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
    grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
    and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
    called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen

Some of the references used:

. Historical Jesus Theories, earlychristianwritings.com/theories.htm – the names of many of the contemporary historical Jesus scholars and the ti-tles of their over 100 books on the subject.
    2. Early Christian Writings, earlychristianwritings.com/
    – a list of early Christian doc-uments to include the year of publication–
    30-60 CE Passion Narrative
    100-150 Preaching of Peter
    100-160 Gospel of the Ebionites
    100-160 Gospel of the Nazoreans
    100-160 Shepherd of Hermas
    100-160 2 Peter

3. Historical Jesus Studies, faithfutures.org/HJstudies.html,
    – "an extensive and constantly expanding literature on historical research into the person and cultural context of Jesus of Nazareth"
    4. Jesus Database, faithfutures.org/JDB/intro.html–"The JESUS DATABASE is an online annotated inventory of the traditions concerning the life and teachings of Jesus that have survived from the first three centuries of the Common Era. It includes both canonical and extra-canonical materials, and is not limited to the traditions found within the Christian New Testament."
    5. Josephus on Jesus mtio.com/articles/bissar24.htm
    6. The Jesus Seminar, mystae.com/restricted/reflections/messiah/seminar.html#Criteria
    7. Writing the New Testament- mystae.com/restricted/reflections/messiah/testament.html
    8. Health and Healing in the Land of Israel By Joe Zias
    joezias.com/HealthHealingLandIsrael.htm
    9. Economics in First Century Palestine, K.C. Hanson and D. E. Oakman, Palestine in the Time of Jesus, Fortress Press, 1998.

January 10, 2012 at 12:30 am |
    • .........

do not waste time with reality garbage hit report abuse

January 10, 2012 at 4:57 am |
  11. THE BIBLE IS GARBAGE

IF I WAS GOING TO RUN FOR POLITICAL OFFICE, I'D MAKE MY STANCE ON RELIGION WELL KNOWN BY CREATING A SECTION DEDICATED TO MY BELIEFS. THE BODY WOULD SAY SOMETHING LIKE THIS:

"RELIGION NEEDS TO STAY OUT OF POLITICS. BUT SINCE SO MANY RETARDS KEEP ASKING ME WHAT I BELIEVE AND IF GOD ASKED ME TO RUN, I WILL NOW SHARE WITH YOU A VIDEO. THIS VIDEO SUMS UP HOW SERIOUSLY I TAKE RELIGIOUS BELIEFS AND VALUES. PRAISES BE TO HIM. AND ALL HIS MERCIES."

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-khATBDrBU&w=640&h=360]

January 9, 2012 at 11:03 pm |
    • THE BIBLE IS GARBAGE

P.S. YOUR SAVIOR TEBOW ASKED ME TO POST IT.

January 9, 2012 at 11:06 pm |
  12. Iqbal Khan

Iran: It's Déjà Vu All Over Again

By Aijaz Zaka Syed

Little seems to change in..... http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article30176.htm

Imminent Iran Nuclear Threat?
    A Timeline Of Warnings Since 1979

By Scott Peterson

Breathless predictions that the Islamic Republic will soon be at the brink of nuclear capability, or – worse – acquire an actual nuclear bomb, are not new. http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article30177.htm

January 9, 2012 at 10:45 pm |
    • THE BIBLE IS GARBAGE

IT IS WIDELY KNOWN THAT THE LINKS YOU POST REDIRECT TO HORRIFIC PHOTOS OF SALAD TOSSING BETWEEN JANET RENO AND NICK NOLTE. PLEASE STOP NOW.

January 9, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
  13. The Central Scrutinizer

1. You haven't read the Bible (Wrong, I have)
    2. You are taking it out of context (Ok, prove it. Tell me what it REALLY means. No one has done that.)

Not one single rebuttal. Not ONE. Christians just cherry pick whatever their "pastor" or whatever tells them. I still have hundreds of examples of the how ridiculous the Bible it. All entertaining and all coming your way.

Christians: A sad lack of intelligence.

January 9, 2012 at 10:37 pm |
    • Jim

I've been away for a few days, do the bible quotes make any impression?

January 9, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

Hard to say. Perhaps, there is some part of the brain previously unused by religious people that could be awakened by this discourse.......Naw, I doubt it.

January 9, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
    • Jim

It seems like these boards slowed down after the holidays, or maybe the fundies are too busy praying for Santorum.

January 9, 2012 at 10:49 pm |
    • THE BIBLE IS GARBAGE

THEY'RE TOO BUSY MIND-BLOWING TIM TEBOW.

January 9, 2012 at 10:51 pm |
    • dick smith

"Answer not a fool according to his folly,lest thou also be like unto him. Answer a fool according to his folly,let he be wise in his own conceit."
      perhaps this is the reason for so little response.

January 10, 2012 at 12:03 am |
    • VanHagar

Central–I'll take the challenge (or is it the bait?). A couple of ground rules...first, give me one contradiction at a time (I hate writing long posts, so if you give me a long list, I'm only going to answer the one that i want to), and second, please confirm for me that you've done more than read the Bible to get the contradiction (I don't question whether you've read it–I question whether you've studied it). If you'll do that, then I'll discuss your belief that the Bible is full of contradictions.

January 10, 2012 at 12:15 am |
    • Mr. Hat

Goodness this sounds like a boxing match between VanHagar and The Central Scrutinizer.

January 10, 2012 at 12:19 am |
    • VanHagar

I come in weighing 185 lbs with a 10-0 record.

January 10, 2012 at 12:23 am |
    • Mr. Hat

Now remember gentlemen, no hits below the belt!

January 10, 2012 at 12:26 am |
    • THE BIBLE IS GARBAGE

IT IS ALWAYS FUNNY TO WATCH PEOPLE TRY TO PRETEND THAT ALL THE CONTRADICTIONS IN THE BIBLE AREN'T REALLY CONTRADICTIONS. THERE ARE A TON OF THEM. THE ORDER OF CREATION IN THE FIRST TWO BOOKS OF GENESIS CONTRADICT EACH OTHER. THAT PRETTY MUCH SETS THE TONE FOR THE ENTIRE BIBLE. RIGHT AT THE BEGINNING YOU GET THE PUNCHLINE. BILLIONS OF PEOPLE MISSED THE PUNCHLINE AND CONTINUED READING, THINKING THEY HAD THE GOLDEN WORD IN THEIR HANDS. HA!

JESUS WAS ALLEGEDLY RESURRECTED. THEY FOUND HIS GRAVE, AND HIS FAMILY'S. HE'S STILL IN A STONE BOX.

January 10, 2012 at 12:34 am |
    • VanHagar

I think Central has signed off for the night (or have I put a fear in him?) I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he went to bed. Yo Central–I'll check back wit u tomorrow–better bring your A game.

January 10, 2012 at 12:35 am |
    • VanHagar

@Bible–move along, this debate is for people who can type in both lower and upper case. Oh look Susie, there's a troll posting in all caps.

January 10, 2012 at 12:41 am |
    • bnb42

@Vangard
      I'm not central.... but maybe you can help me out on this one. (and I don't claim to be a bible scholar)

"Thou Shall Not Kill" one the the "Big 10'

If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son ... Then shall his father and his mother ... bring him out unto the elders of his city ... And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die.
      - Deuteronomy 21:18-21 (AV)

Why is this NOT a contradiction?

January 10, 2012 at 12:52 am |
    • VanHagar

@Bnb42–common ploy by Bible skeptics–misquote one verse to make it look like a contradiction. The original language and intent of the commandment (I note that you don't cite a verse, so I'll guess that your trying to misquote one of the 10 commandments) is that we are not to murder. (i know some translations use Kill–most use murder–Hebrew source used ratsach which means murder) this is a huge distinction because it does not contradict capital punishment (which I am not of fan of in any event)

January 10, 2012 at 8:15 am |
    • VanHagar

@bnb442–Yikes. I apologize. Having just reread my post, I was obviously a little short. I didn't mean to be, as the tone of your question appears sincere.

January 10, 2012 at 8:17 am |
    • VanHagar

A little more explanation: ratsach: It refers to any killing that is done in the manner of a predatory animal– which means either: as an angry reaction to stimulus; or lying in wait, as one waits for prey. That is the equivalent of murder–which requires, in our modern language, malice aforethought.

January 10, 2012 at 8:20 am |
    • HeavenSent

The Central Scrutinizer, your boring post as follows "Well, bottom line, I have been posting Bible contradictions for two days. The only resistance from the Christians has been:

1. You haven't read the Bible (Wrong, I have)

Christians: A sad lack of intelligence."

Answer: Christians that have been on this site already answered the same ole questions of contradictions you claim to post. Therefore, you are a liar. These aren't your complaints on scriptures, but, complaints of other non-believers, like you, have issues to deal with. Jesus' wisdom is truth about life and the hereafter. You, however, want to believe satan's lies. Free will. Your choice ... as you stay miserable and confused while sucking up oxygen on earth. As for Christian responses to what was already posted over a year ago. I suggest you back read through the articles to find them. If not, stop wasting our time with the tired old stuff you atheists complain about because you don't know how to read scriptures with a positive mindset. You haven't a clue to what scriptures pertain to you as an individual and what scriptures are describing folks we all hope you never come across, you don't know how to cross reference the books in the Bible to uncover more of Jesus' truth and you simply don't know how to go humble.

January 10, 2012 at 8:42 am |
    • Really?

" f not, stop wasting our time with the tired old stuff you atheists complain about because you don't know how to read scriptures with a positive mindset. You haven't a clue to what scriptures pertain to you as an individual and what scriptures are describing folks we all hope you never come across, you don't know how to cross reference the books in the Bible to uncover more of Jesus' truth and you simply don't know how to go humble."

LOL! This is coming from one of the most bitter hateful person on this blog. LOL! You are no way representing a postitive attitude nor are you humble. LOL! That was the most hysterical stupid post yet from you.

January 10, 2012 at 8:47 am |
    • HeavenSent

Really, I see that you are finally posting under one of your original handles (LOL). All the Christians that have posted for the last year are tired of the atheists same complaints of Jesus' scriptures that was posted LAST year (and I'm sure the year before, Thank God I wasn't reading this blog) even though Christians gave answers to said posts. You atheists ignore answers of His truth, and only care to continue your bashing of His truth. You loss. Not ours. Talk about not evolving. NOT!

ROTFLOL.

January 10, 2012 at 9:29 am |
    • Fookin' Prawn

Congrats on getting a DOUBLE amen, Really.

January 10, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
  14. Iqbal Khan

The New York Times is Misleading the Public on Iran

By Robert Naiman

AIPAC is trying to trick the United States into another catastrophic war with a Middle Eastern country on behalf of the Likud Party's colonial ambitions, and the New York Times is misleading the public with allegations that say that the country is developing "weapons of mass destruction". http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article30187.htm

January 9, 2012 at 10:30 pm |
    • THE BIBLE IS GARBAGE

I SEE YOU'RE NOT POSTING A LINK TO THE BLUE WAFFLE. NO ONE WANTS TO LOOK AT THAT. IT'S GROSS. NO ONE WANTS TO SEE THAT PILE OF DISEASED FLESH BETWEEN THAT GIRL'S LEGS THAT'S ALL BROWN AND FULL OF BUBBLING SORES.

January 9, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
    • THE BIBLE IS GARBAGE

OOPS

NOW*

January 9, 2012 at 10:39 pm |
    • Reality

An update (or how we are spending or how we have spent the USA taxpayers’ money to eliminate global terror and aggression)

The terror and aggression via a Partial and Recent Body Count

As the koranic/mosque driven acts of terror and horror continue:

The Muslim Conquest of India – 11th to 18th century

■"The likely death toll is somewhere between 2 million and 80 million. The geometric mean of those two limits is 12.7 million. "

and the 19 million killed in the Mideast Slave Trade 7C-19C by Muslims.

and more recently

1a) 179 killed in Mumbai/Bombay, 290 injured

1b) Assassination of Benazir Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh

2) 9/11, 3000 mostly US citizens, 1000’s injured

3) The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US troops killed in action, 3,480 and 928 in non combat roles. 102,522 – 112,049 Iraqi civilians killed as of 9/16/2011/, mostly due to suicide bombers, land mines and bombs of various types, http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf

4) Kenya- In Nairobi, about 212 people were killed and an estimated 4000 injured; in Dar es Salaam, the attack killed at least 11 and wounded 85.[2]

5) Bali-in 2002-killing 202 people, 164 of whom were foreign nationals, and 38 Indonesian citizens. A further 209 people were injured.

6) Bali in 2005- Twenty people were killed, and 129 people were injured by three bombers who killed themselves in the attacks.

7) Spain in 2004- killing 191 people and wounding 2,050.

8. UK in 2005- The bombings killed 52 commuters and the four radical Islamic suicide bombers, injured 700.

9) The execution of an eloping couple in Afghanistan on 04/15/2009 by the Taliban.

10) – Afghanistan: US troops 1,385 killed in action, 273 killed in non-combat situations as of 09/15/2011. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror

11) The killing of 13 citizen soldiers at Ft. Hood by a follower of the koran.

12) 38 Russian citizens killed on March 29, 2010 by Muslim women suicide bombers.

13) The May 28, 2010 attack on a Islamic religious minority in Pakistan, which have left 98 dead,

14) Lockerbie is known internationally as the site where, on 21 December 1988, the wreckage of Pan Am Flight 103 crashed as a result of a terrorist bomb. In the United Kingdom the event is referred to as the Lockerbie disaster, the Lockerbie bombing, or simply Lockerbie. Eleven townspeople were killed in Sherwood Crescent, where the plane's wings and fuel tanks plummeted in a fiery explosion, destroying several houses and leaving a huge crater, with debris causing damage to a number of buildings nearby. The 270 fatalities (259 on the plane, 11 in Lockerbie) were citizens of 21 nations.

15 The daily suicide and/or roadside and/or mosque bombings in the terror world of Islam.

16) Bombs sent from Yemen by followers of the koran which fortunately were discovered before the bombs were detonated.

17) The killing of 58 Christians in a Catholic church in one of the latest acts of horror and terror in Iraq.

18) Moscow airport suicide bombing: 35 dead, 130 injured. January 25, 2011.

19) A Pakistani minister, who had said he was getting death threats because of his stance against the country's controversial blasphemy law, was shot and killed Wednesday, 3/2/2011

20) two American troops killed in Germany by a recently radicalized Muslim, 3/3/2011

21) the kidnapping and apparent killing of a follower of Zoraster in the dark world of Islamic Pakistan.

22) Shariatpur, Bangladesh (CNN 3/30/2011) - Hena Akhter's last words to her mother proclaimed her innocence. But it was too late to save the 14-year-old girl. Her fellow villagers in Bangladesh's Shariatpur district had already passed harsh judgment on her. Guilty, they said, of having an affair with a married man. The imam from the local mosque ordered the fatwa, or religious ruling, and the punishment: 101 lashes delivered swiftly, deliberately in public. Hena dropped after 70 and died a week later.

23) "October 4, 2011, 100 die as a truck loaded with drums of fuel exploded Tuesday at the gate of compound housing several government ministries on a busy Mogadishu street. It was the deadliest single bombing carried out by the al Qaeda-linked al-Shabab group in Somalia since their insurgency began. "

Continued below:

Other elements of our War on Terror and Aggression:

-Operation Iraqi Freedom- The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US Troops killed in action, 3,480 and 928 in non combat roles as of 09/15/2011/, 102,522 – 112,049 Iraqi civilians killed as of 9/16/2011/, mostly due to suicide bombers, land mines and bombs of various types, http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf

– Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan: US troops 1,385 killed in action, 273 killed in non-combat situations as of 09/15/2011. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed mostly due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror,

– Sa-dd-am, his sons and major he-nchmen have been deleted. Sa-dd-am's bravado about WMD was one of his major mistakes. Kuwait was saved.

– Iran is being been contained. (beside containing the Sunni-Shiite civil war in Baghdad, that is the main reason we are in Iraq. And yes, essential oil continues to flow from the region.)

– North Korea is still u-ncivil but is contained.

– Northern Ireland is finally at peace.

– The Jews and Palestinians are being separated by walls. Hopefully the walls will follow the 1948 UN accords. Unfortunately the Annapolis Peace Conference was not successful. And unfortunately the recent events in Gaza has put this situation back to “squ-are one”. And this significant stupidity is driven by the mythical foundations of both religions!!!

– – Fa-na–tical Islam has basically been contained to the Middle East but a wall between India and Pakistan would be a plus for world peace. Ditto for a wall between Afghanistan and Pakistan.

– Timothy McVeigh was exe-cuted. Terry Nichols escaped the death penalty twice because of deadlocked juries. He was sentenced to 161 consecutive life terms without the possibility of parole,[3][7] and is incarcerated in ADX Florence, a super maximum security prison near Florence, Colorado. He shares a cellblock that is commonly referred to as "Bombers Row" with Ramzi Yousef and Ted Kaczynski

– Eric Ru-dolph is spending three life terms in pri-son with no par-ole.

– Jim Jones, David Koresh, Kaczynski, the "nuns" from Rwanda, and the KKK were all dealt with and either eliminated themselves or are being punished.

– Islamic Sudan, Dar-fur and So-malia are still terror hot spots.
      – The terror and tor-ture of Muslims in Bosnia, Kosovo and Kuwait were ended by the proper application of the military forces of the USA and her freedom-loving friends. Ra-dovan Karadzic was finally captured on 7/23/08 and is charged with genocide, crimes against humanity and violations of the law of war – charges related to the 1992-1995 civil war that followed Bosnia-Herzegovina's secession from Yugoslavia.

The capture of Ratko Mladić: (Serbian Cyrillic: Ратко Младић, pronounced [râtkɔ mlǎːditɕ], born 12 March 1943[1][2]) is an accused war criminal and a former Bosnian Serb military leader. On May 31, 2011, Mladić was extradited to The Hague, where he was processed at the detention center that holds suspects for the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY).[3] His trial began on 3 June 2011.

– the bloody terror brought about by the Ja-panese, Na-zis and Co-mmunists was with great difficulty eliminated by the good guys.

– Bin Laden was executed for crimes against humanity on May 1, 2011

– Ditto for Anwar al-Awlaki on September 30, 2011

January 10, 2012 at 12:34 am |
  15. Iqbal Khan

Santorum: Iranians' 'Principle Virtue' To Die For God
    'Is An Encouragement For Them To Use' Nukes

By Eli Clifton

Santorum's Iran policy appears to be framed, in no small part, by his extremist views on Islam and a belief that the Islamic Republic's leadership is inherently irrational and suicidal.

January 9, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
    • THE BIBLE IS GARBAGE

WHY DO YOU KEEP POSTING LINKS TO THAT TWO GIRLS ONE CUP VIDEO? NO ONE WANTS TO WATCH GIRLS EATING BUTT-MUD.

January 9, 2012 at 10:30 pm |
  16. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Thar HS blows yet again: "NO SOUP FOR YOU!"

January 9, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
  17. Iqbal Khan

The New York Times is Misleading the Public on Iran

By Robert Naiman

January 9, 2012 at 10:15 pm |
    • THE BIBLE IS GARBAGE

IRAN SUCKS. NO ONE IS GOING TO BOTHER WITH YOUR CRAPPY LINK THAT REDIRECTS TO TWO GIRLS ONE CUP. NO ONE WANTS TO SEE CHICKS TAKING A DUMP.

January 9, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
  18. THE BIBLE IS GARBAGE

RELIGION SHOULD HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH POLITICS AT ALL. I DON'T KNOW WHY THE MEDIA KEEPS PROMOTING THIS STUPIDITY.

January 9, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
  19. The Central Scrutinizer

A few more funny ones from Deuteronomy:

After God instructs the Israelites to mercilessly slaughter all the
    strangers that they encounter (Dt.7:2, 16), he tells them to "love ye
    therefore the stranger: for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt."
    10:19

God says that we shouldn't add to, or take away from, any of his
    commands. Why then don't modern Bible-believers stone to death
    blasphemers, sabbath breakers, and disobedient sons? 12:32

Don't "make any baldness between your eyes for the dead." 14:1

This verse mistakenly says that the hare chews its cud. 14:7-8

Don't eat any seafood unless it has fins and scales. Oysters, clams,
    crabs, and lobsters are "unclean" and shouldn't be eaten. 14:10

To the biblical God, a bat is just an another unclean bird. 14:11, 18

Don't eat any dead animals that you find lying around. But it's okay to
    give it to strangers or sell it to foreigners. And, just in case you
    were getting ready to, don't boil a kid (young goat) is its mother's
    milk. 14:21

LOL

January 9, 2012 at 9:47 pm |
    • Scott

I love Deuteronomy and Leviticus. Truly they are god’s love, mercy and compassion made manifest to the modern world

January 9, 2012 at 10:01 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

Hi Scott,
      Please present one example of how Deuteronomy and Leviticus shows god’s love, mercy and compassion made manifest to the modern world. Thanks.

January 9, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
    • fred

You have to define what you mean by love. For god.

January 9, 2012 at 10:11 pm |
    • fred

fred, if you wish to keep using my name I am happy to switch sides

January 10, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  20. The Central Scrutinizer

Wow, HeavenSent is REALLY showing her true colors tonight. Bigot, Liar, Hater, and a miserable person. I love you HS. At least I do. God doesn't, that is for god dam sure, but I do. Now enjoy your cat food and have a nice evening.

January 9, 2012 at 9:31 pm |
    • Eric G

Easy man! Everyone here knows what she is. Pointing it out is just bad form. She is obviously a lonely person. Show some grace to those less fortunate.

January 9, 2012 at 9:44 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

Ok Eric, she can enjoy some Dog Food too if she can find it. She is a hoarder so there are a lot of dead critters, boxes and other garbarge that creates obsticles and her hip is going out.

January 9, 2012 at 9:50 pm |