home
RSS
My Take: It's time to talk about sex at church – and marriage for clergy
"Maybe having married clergy will help us all move on from a culture of sexual taboos," Albert Cutié writes
January 12th, 2012

My Take: It's time to talk about sex at church – and marriage for clergy

Editor's note: Albert Cutié is an Episcopal cleric and former Roman Catholic priest known as Padre Alberto or "Father Oprah." He is the author of the memoir, "Dilemma: A Priest's Struggle with Faith and Love" and hosted the talk show "Father Albert." He's on Twitter @padrealberto.

By Fr. Albert Cutié, Special to CNN

(CNN) – I remember one of the stories shared about an old, revered Cuban pastor in the most popular Roman Catholic parish in Little Havana, near downtown Miami. He was often recognized as an outstanding local hero in the first stop for thousands of Cuban refugees, an area that is now home to thousands of Central American immigrants who also seek a better life in the United States.

One afternoon in the old dark church, 100 or so 7- to 12-year olds from the religious instruction classes known as “catecismo” were preparing to make their Lenten confession. The priest went through a list of the commandments and asked the children to think of any sins they may have committed so they could mention them once they sat face to face with a priest.

Read the full story here from CNN's In America Blog.
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Church • Content Partner

1. Louanne Samuel

In a normal pregnancy, the fertilized egg enters the uterus and settles into the uterine lining where it has plenty of room to divide and grow. About 1% of pregnancies are in an ectopic location with implantation not occurring inside of the womb, and of these 98% occur in the Fallopian tubes. .."-;

My very own blog

June 20, 2013 at 7:08 am |
  2. Guest#2

Interesting that Fr. Albert Cutié could become and RC priest again under the initiative the Vatican started a few years ago. Anglican priest and now Episcopalian priests can become ordained priests in the Catholic Church even if married.

January 14, 2012 at 11:09 am |
    • geraldh

No he could not. The Church would not recognize his marriage since he as a Catholic got married outside the Church. He would have to be laicized to come back in to the Church and have his marriage validated or leave it to become a priest. He does not fit under the ordinate because he was ordained as a Catholic.

January 14, 2012 at 4:54 pm |
  3. SPA Knight

Fr. Albert Cutié is just another unfaithful and disobedient priest. He is an example of what seems to be a culture wide problem – lack of commitment. Pick one vocation and give it 100%. if you have two competing vocations, then someone is comprimising ias a result of your selfishness.

January 13, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
    • geraldh

His "wife" is foolish thinking his marital vow means anything when he can't keep other vows.

January 14, 2012 at 4:55 pm |
  4. Fookin' Prawn

This is super carnal. I hope HS doesn't see it, her head will explode.

January 13, 2012 at 11:49 am |
  5. Reality

What Father Cutie forgot to mention about contemporary s-ex:

(only for the "newbies")

WARNING!!! WARNING!!! WARNING!!!

To all of us overse-xed h-o-mo-sapiens:

: The failures of the widely used birth "control" methods i.e. the Pill ( 8.7% failure rate) and male con-dom (17.4% failure rate) have led to the large rate of abortions and S-TDs in the USA. Men and women must either recognize their responsibilities by using the Pill or co-ndoms properly and/or use safer methods in order to reduce the epidemics of abortion and S-TDs.- Failure rate statistics provided by the Gut-tmacher Inst-itute.

Added information before making your next move:

from the CDC-2006

"Se-xually transmitted diseases (S-TDs) remain a major public health challenge in the United States. While substantial progress has been made in preventing, diagnosing, and treating certain S-TDs in recent years, CDC estimates that approximately 19 million new infections occur each year, almost half of them among young people ages 15 to 24.1 In addition to the physical and psy-ch-ological consequences of S-TDs, these diseases also exact a tremendous economic toll. Direct medical costs as-sociated with STDs in the United States are estimated at up to $14.7 billion annually in 2006 dollars."

And from:

"Yes, or-al se-x is se-x, and it can boost cancer risk-

Here's a crucial message for teens (and all se-xually active "post-teeners": Or-al se-x carries many of the same risks as va-ginal se-x, including human papilloma virus, or HPV. And HPV may now be overtaking tobacco as the leading cause of or-al cancers in America in people under age 50.

"Adolescents don’t think or-al se-x is something to worry about," said Bonnie Halpern-Felsher professor of pediatrics at the University of California, San Francisco. "They view it as a way to have intimacy without having 's-ex.'"

Obviously, Planned Parenthood, parents and educational system have failed miserably on many fronts.

January 13, 2012 at 9:04 am |
  6. mandarax

In the distant past the village elders convened to discuss what to do about the occasional deluded, obsessive dullard in the community who thinks he talks to god. A wise elder suggested, "We should tell them they have been chosen for a very very special job, and they should just think and talk about god all the time."

"But how can we keep their madness from spreading?"

"We'll tell them that their job is so special and so magical that they shouldn't have s.ex or marry."

The best laid plans......

January 13, 2012 at 1:28 am |
  7. Lucifer

Dropping hints to the new world religion? Programming!

January 13, 2012 at 1:06 am |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

What's up bro!

January 13, 2012 at 8:16 am |
  8. Marks from Middle River

Milton I think I would have to question a bit of your post. The question falls to this. If a priest is the headmaster of a school does his duties to the school as an administrator count as time divided from his service to God?

In the education field, there is a legal term. Loco Parentis, in place of the parent. Is being a teacher or principal the same as being a husband, no but many in that field will tell you that their work day does not end when the students go home.

I guess what I want to convey is that if you consider that when a man, if he is a person of Faith, takes his vows before God then his service to God is to be a good and decent husband and/or father.

That is why I respectfully question the Catholic Faith on this subject. For a person of Faith The inst'itution of being a good husband or wife is take  as a vow and as such a service to God.

January 12, 2012 at 11:25 pm |
    • The Phist

I don't believe in this whole "service to god" garbage. When I think of "service to god," I take into consideration that god doesn't exist. It is then possible to conclude that "service to god" is like sacrificing kittens for the moon.

January 13, 2012 at 12:09 am |
    • Just following the true God's orders

You mean I am NOT supposed to sacrifice kittens to the moon anymore? Gosh this theology stuff is difficult! My old dusty book says that if I don't sacrifice kittens to the moon, I will spend the rest of eternity tormenting in the lake of kitty litter, wailing and gnashing my teeth and meowing for meow mix. And if you have an old dusty book filled with absurd stories, then your religion must be true

Please don't tell me that I'm not supposed to perform the Most Holy And Divine Nude Oil Wrestling With Salma Hayek anymore!

January 13, 2012 at 2:08 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

>>>”When I think of "service to god," I take into consideration that god doesn't exist.”

Phist, the Atheist view is well known and understood. With a few Atheist it can be respected but this was directed at the Faithful.

If I might alter it for my Atheistic brothers and sisters,.. can a Soldier be a better or more dedicated member of the armed services if they are “not” married?

January 13, 2012 at 2:19 am |
  9. WOT

It is time to talk about copulation of all kind at home. There are to,too many parents, who neve say anything to their children about intamacy of the s.e.XES. The church is where you discuss the goodness of serving GOD!

January 12, 2012 at 10:53 pm |
  10. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I never considered the possibility that Marky and Uncouth Soup were one and the same. Now that both vociferously deny it, I find it an intriguing thought.

Somewhere on the order of wondering if worms suffer from constipation.

They're both idiots. Who cares if they're the same idiot?

January 12, 2012 at 10:21 pm |
    • Uncouth Marky is busted

One person writes both, and some random others as well when he is feeling trollish. And of course he lies about it when busted, but that is to be expected.

January 12, 2012 at 11:14 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

You both are so full of yourself. I do have a few usernames on here...but Mark isn't one of them. I have never denied using other names or even try to alter how I write from one to another. Heck...if anyone with an ounce of literary knowledge should figure out that Lycidas and Uncouth Swain have something in common. But alas...you two are rather dense it would appear.

January 13, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Yet you just couldn't bear to ignore the posts.

January 14, 2012 at 10:52 am |
    • Guest#2

Isn't Tom Tom the Piper's Son some sort of vib*rator?

January 14, 2012 at 10:59 am |
    • Uncouth Swain

@Guest#2- Nah....because Tom probably doesn't know how to plz a woman.

January 17, 2012 at 2:33 pm |
  11. Milton

Show me your hands. Do they have scars from giving? Show me your feet. Are they wounded in service? Show me your heart. Have you left a place for divine love? Fulton J. Sheen

January 12, 2012 at 9:48 pm |
    • The Phist

Is this some sort of stupid religious rhetoric guilt trip we're all supposed to pack our bags in preparation for?

January 12, 2012 at 9:58 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

Show me your penis. Is it large and meaty like a baby's arm?

January 12, 2012 at 10:01 pm |
  12. fred

Would be first time churchgoers talked about anything interesting.

January 12, 2012 at 9:45 pm |
    • fred

not the real fred

January 12, 2012 at 10:53 pm |
    • The Phist

There's only one "fred" on the planet?

January 12, 2012 at 11:31 pm |
    • fred

Well perhaps the new fred should change his name to phred?

January 12, 2012 at 11:55 pm |
    • fred

I'm the original fred. I was here since more than a year ago. The new one posts a lot more than me and is a religious nutcase. I'm not one of those.

January 13, 2012 at 11:31 am |
  13. Marks from Middle River

Here is a question. Why do we have to follow another link to read the full story? We all learned in school how to do a works cited page. Better yet, since both pages are located on the CNN servers why not just have the link to the article on the full Belief Blog page go to the full article? Good grief who is the Webmaster at CNN?

January 12, 2012 at 9:41 pm |
    • fred

New to internets River?

January 12, 2012 at 9:46 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

He's new to planet Earth. He can't even figure out who posted what. He's a f 8c king jac k ass.

January 12, 2012 at 9:54 pm |
    • fred

caution unknown fred imposter

January 12, 2012 at 11:04 pm |
    • Marks from Middle River

Like I said TomTom.... Your going to need to dig incredibly deep to get me that upset. Come on dude, claiming name changes while posting under two different names..... And you think that will upset or unsettle me.

Tell TomTom , last time I spun you like a top so badly. So badly that you became so unhindged that another Atheist had to come in to ask you to stop making a fool of yourself.

But, please continue trying to find something that might cause a grand flame war. Thing is with me, you are going to have to dig way deeper to find such a point 🙂

January 12, 2012 at 11:49 pm |
    • Peggy

LOL
      Don't listen to him Tom! I laughed at your great post. He is clearly a f–king jack-ass. LOL

January 13, 2012 at 1:02 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I'm posting under this moniker. No others, Marky/Swain. I don't care about your state of mind. If you're not bothered, you won't respond. I suspect you'll post another lame-brained epistle shortly.

January 13, 2012 at 7:16 am |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

Ready. FIGHT! (Street Fighter 2 game voice)

January 13, 2012 at 8:26 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

Ha-DO-ken!

January 13, 2012 at 11:38 am |
    • Uncouth Swain

@Lucifer's Evil Twin- Lol.

January 13, 2012 at 5:19 pm |
  14. Milton

Ministers who do not marry and are true to their calling can focus on their service to God and humanity as they have less cares of the world.
    Ministers that have family have to divide their time between their family and service to God.
    Ministers that serve in truth and have sacrificed your all, what a blessing you are!

January 12, 2012 at 9:31 pm |
    • The Phist

I devote all of my time to the service of the tooth fairy. At least she puts out.

January 12, 2012 at 9:37 pm |
    • Frank

TP-Is that s?, is that why atheists spend so much time on the belief blog looking to serve tooth fairy?

January 12, 2012 at 9:43 pm |
    • The Phist

We are trying to convert people to believe in the tooth fairy religion. There is strong evidence that indicates that the tooth fairy exists. For example, when a child's tooth falls out, occasionally money appears under its pillow the next morning. This is stronger proof for the existence of the tooth fairy, rather than god which does nothing. Ever. More studies are being conducted on the matter.

January 12, 2012 at 9:56 pm |
    • Mirosal

Phist .. how could you possibly forget about the gifts under trees? And remember, NORAD tracks that guy every Dec. 24th, and reports it all over the U.S.!!! If that isn't reality, I don't know what is.. so Santa MUST be flying overhead if NORAD says so.. right?

January 13, 2012 at 7:22 am |
    • Fookin' Prawn

Now this has got me wondering what God would leave under pillows.

January 13, 2012 at 11:54 am |
    • J.W

Why can a person not have a family and serve God at the same time? I think God would want everyone to have a beautiful family and beautiful children. Catholics seem to believe that everyone is to be fruitful and multiply, but aren't the priests breaking that rule?

January 13, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
    • geraldh

In Matt 19 Jesus says that some are given the gift of celibacy for the sake of the kingdom. Celibacy is as much a gift as marriage is. Not everyone is intended to be married.

January 14, 2012 at 4:57 pm |