home
RSS
Many South Carolina evangelicals focus on piety over politics
Pastor C.L. O'Bryan outside of Cornerstone Pentecostal Church in North Augusta, South Carolina
January 16th, 2012

Many South Carolina evangelicals focus on piety over politics

Editor's note: Listen to the CNN Radio broadcast on South Carolina evangelicals:

By John Sepulvado, CNN Radio

(CNN) - More than 150 influential evangelical leaders went to a ranch outside of Houston over the weekend to pick an alternative to GOP presidential front runner Mitt Romney. They emerged backing former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum.

But in the early primary state of South Carolina, with voters scheduled to go to the polls on Saturday and candidates working the state furiously this week, local evangelical pastors are using their influence to rally church members towards salvation, not electioneering.

"You won't hear me giving any political commentary at all," says Lexington Fellowship Baptist Pastor Don Bell. "I mean, I'll never say never, but God's word is where it's at."

"I consider myself to be a conservative," says North Augusta Cornerstone Pentecostal Pastor C.L. O'Bryan. "But our focus right now is on our flock, not Washington politics."

South Carolina evangelicals have helped boost the candidacies of George W. Bush in 2000 and Ronald Reagan in 1980. Santorum, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and Texas Gov. Rick Perry are all trying to rally the evangelical vote in an effort to swing momentum away from Romney.

And it would seem evangelical voters could help them do just that. There's a deep skepticism about the former Massachusetts governor's Mormon faith and evolving position on abortion.

"I do not agree with him on every issue," O'Bryan says. "And I would like to see a president with a more biblical perspective."

Yet, while the candidates vie to present themselves as "true" conservatives, many evangelical voters have concerns about Gingrich's personal life, Perry's verbal gaffes, and Santorum's viability. Many born-again church goers in the state have resigned themselves to the outlook that Romney will be the eventual GOP nominee.

O'Bryan says he believes it's God's plan for the U.S. to "fall away" from Christianity, and is telling his congregation to prepare for "the end times," regardless of who is elected. Fellowship Baptist Elder Brian Hoyle in Lexington says unlike previous years, many of the churchgoers he knows in rural areas around Columbia are keeping quiet about politics and focusing on their own piety.

"I think there's a recognition that now there is only so much man can do," Hoyle explains. "I don't get much into politics."

"At this point," adds Fellowship Baptist's Bell, "if we're looking to Washington for answers to our problems, we're really in trouble."

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Politics • South Carolina

1. GodIsTheWay

Again Athiests.. You're the ones coming out with the accusation that there is no God. In a court of law, the accuser must bear the burden of evidence. Therefore, show your evidence, your absolute proof that there is no God. While you're at it, read Descartes.

January 17, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
    • SeanNJ

Go ahead and cling to your fairy tale. Just don't expect us to take you seriously.

January 17, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

I don't believe in your God because there is no proof moron. Jeez.

January 17, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • Get those religion blinders off, people!

It gets so wearisome repeating the incredibly obvious for the incredibly dim: the FIRST claim is the one to be defended. The first claim is that there is a god. The atheists are putting forth a CHALLENGE to that claim, namely, that it is ridiculous. The burden falls upon the religious.

And of course, you cannot prove the non-existence of a non-existent entity. If you don't believe it, try proving the non-existence of leprechauns. Cannot be done.

I do wonder why people like you, who cannot find even the slightest shred of evidence anywhere in the universe to support your preposterous assertion, somehow think that the idiots are the ones who say "there is not even the slightest shred of evidence anywhere for what you say."

January 17, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

Read up on Russell's Teapot to have the absurdity of your supposition explained in simple terms.

January 17, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • GodIsTheWay

In other words, not a single one of you has any proof that there is no God. Your assertation is the first. You're asserting there is no God. We are not asserting anything, except within ourselves. We'd actually leave you alone, if you left us alone, but instead you feel a need to jump on ANY story involving religion and spew your evil, uneducated, unnecessary vitriol every minute of every day. Now, prove it or leave. Those are your options.

January 17, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
    • SeanNJ

Ya know...if you had left us alone, we wouldn't know about your "god" at all. And now you want us to go away and stop pointing out how silly you are?

I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave.

January 17, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

There is no God. Proof that there is if you expect me to believe it.

Eggs change things.

January 17, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
    • Hey you, religious dumb-dumb!

There cannot possibly be a claim that there is no god without someone first having claimed that there was one. Go ahead and try to explain how there could possibly be an assertion that there is no God without someone first claiming there is a God.

Here is a hint: When you have to use the kind of dishonest argumentation techniques that you are using, then your core argument is almost cretainly wrong. Try arguing honestly and see what happens – you will be unable to support anything you say. And that is the problem with your side: Lacking any and all evidence, you are forced into using fallacious forms of argumentation to support a position that is completely without support.

And it has been religion that has been forcing itself upon us for centuries, under penalty of turture, imprisonment, abuse and death. Don't try to play the victim now, when your side has been the oppressor, the perpetrator, since it got power under Constantine.

January 17, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

"Lacking any and all evidence, you are forced into using fallacious forms of argumentation to support a position that is completely without support."

January 17, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@GodIsTheWay
      The following Gods act in tandem as the governing forces of the universe:
      Angus, Belenos, Brigid, dana, Lugh, Dagda, Epona, Aphrodite, Apollo, Ares, Artemis, Atehna, Demeter, Dionysus, Eris, Eos, Gaia, Hades, Hekate, Helios, Hephaestus, Hera, hermes, Hestia, Pan, Poseidon, Selene, Uranus, Zeus, Mathilde, Elves, Eostre, Frigg, Hretha, Saxnot, Shef, Thuno, Tir, Weyland, Woden, Alfar, Balder, Beyla, Bil, Bragi, Byggvir, Dagr, Disir, Eir, Forseti, Freya, Freyr, Frigga, Heimdall, Hel, Hoenir, Idunn, Jord, Lofn, Loki, Mon, Njord, Norns, Nott, Odin, Ran, saga, Sif, Siofn, Skadi, Snotra, Sol, Syn, Ull, Thor, Tyr, Var, Vali, Vidar, Vor, Black Shuck, Herne, Jack in the Green, Holda, Nehalennia, Nerthus, endovelicus, Ataegina, Runesocesius, Apollo, Bacchus, Ceres, Cupid, Diana, Janus, Juno, Jupiter, Maia, Mars, Mercury, Minerva, Neptune, Pluto, Plutus, Proserpina, Venus, Vesta, Vulcan, Attis, Cybele, El-Gabal, Isis, Mithras, Sol Invictus, Endovelicus, Anubis, Aten, Atum, Bast, Bes, Geb, Hapi, Hathor, Heget, Horus, Imhotep, Isis, Khepry, Khnum, Maahes, Ma’at, Menhit, Mont, Naunet, Neith, Nephthys, Nut, Osiris, Ptah, ra, Sekhmnet, Sobek, Set, Tefnut, Thoth, An, Anshar, Anu, Apsu, Ashur, Damkina, Ea, Enki, Enlil, Ereshkigal, Nunurta, Hadad, Inanna, Ishtar, Kingu, Kishar, Marduk, Mummu, Nabu, Nammu, Nanna, Nergal, Ninhursag, Ninlil, Nintu, Shamash, Sin, Tiamat, Utu, Mitra, Amaterasu, Susanoo, Tsukiyomi, Inari, Tengu, Izanami, Izanagi, Daikoku, Ebisu, Benzaiten, Bishamonten, Fu.kurokuju, Jurojin, Hotei, Quetzalcoatl, Tlaloc, Inti, Kon, Mama Cocha, Mama Quilla, Manco Capac, Pachacamac, Viracoc.ha, and Zaramama.

Can you prove to me that they don't exist?

January 17, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@Swain: You said, "Prove that the God of Abraham was a created concept by a human being. I will guess that you will find that position nearly impossible to prove because of a lack of evidence."

January 17, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
    • Disgusted with religious people

Uncouth Marky (and all the other handles he uses) is simply playing a deconstructive game. His question is again derivative of the original assertion, that there is a God. He is simply restating the lame demand that the counter-claim prove itself.

There is no proof for the existence of god. All discussions that follow can easily be manipulated into similar "cannot be proven" conundrums for both sides. This is a lame and dishonest bit of argumentation that only proves that swainy cannot support his position honestly.

January 17, 2012 at 2:55 pm |
    • DamianKnight

@GodistheWay,

Unfortunately, even though I am a Christian (and not afraid to say it), the atheists have the correct argument on this one. One cannot prove a negative. If I say, "I saw a unicorn on the way to work this morning!" and you say, "You're full of it", who has to prove their point? I do, because I made the claim that a unicorn exists.

That said, one has to define "proof." It seems to me, the answer is always "scientific proof." But science is a made up convention to explain our world using our five senses. And there are laws and rules regarding it which are generally accepted. And in general, science is a very good means to show what is occurring in the natural world (i.e. diseases, plant growth, animal habits, human anatomy, astronomy, etc.) and Lord knows that I am not against scientific discoveries as long as they stay within present day moral values (i.e. we shouldn't repeat Dr. Mengele's experiments to discover more about the human body.)

But science is a means of discovering the truth regarding the natural world, not the meta-physical world. Therefore, science is not a proper means to reveal the evidence of God; it's using the wrong tool. It's like...using a chainsaw to perform heart surgery. Will the chainsaw cut into a person? Absolutely. But it doesn't work well because a chainsaw is not meant to perform the delicate surgery required to ensure the person won't die.

Therefore, the argument by atheists to "prove" God's existence, using a scientific manner is folly. You can't, because you're using the wrong the wrong tool.

January 17, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

@Sean- "So, if we lack evidence, then it's safe to ignore the assertion as meaningless, yes?"

Lol..of course not Sean..I am merely showing that playing a gotcha game of evidence lacking is a bit foolish. Telling someone to prove to them God (or any deity) exists is no more fair than asking a person to prove that a person made up the concept of God.

I mean..let's be serious. Atheists believe that a human being created the concept of a deity..yes? But they are in no better position to prove it because of a lack of evidence. Many atheists (not all) hide behind the "proving the negative" debate bunker but that doesn't work in this case.

January 17, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
    • rick

Sorry, GodIsTheWay: Atheists are saying they do not see evidnce of a god. YOU are the one making the affirmative claim that a god exists. It is up to YOU to provide the evidence

January 17, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
    • rick

"We are not asserting anything, except within ourselves."

Really? Tell us what evangelism entails

January 17, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

@Disgusted with religious people- HAHA...it's priceless. Here I am being accused of using multiple usernames and hiding behind them why this twit is obviosuly using multiple usernames. Plz...use the username "hypocrite twit" next time. At least it will suti you,

No..I do not use the username of Mark on here. I do have a few and any fool could tell what they are.

Back to the important stuff....I am merely showing that those of you that are asking for God (or whatever deity) to be proven to them are intellectually lazy in a sense. If you beleive that their is no God...then you must believe that a human created the concept. Can you? If you can't...you can't. Unlike you I am not going to swing off on the tangent like you do and say that the opposite must be true.

Just because one cannot prove the existence of a God does not mean that God does not exist.
      Just because one cannot prove that the concept of God was created by a human does not mean it wasn't.

Dear child..keep in mind that I have yet to make an @ssertion I feel I am having to provide evidence for. I am merely pointing out flaws in your logic. Don't be a hater.

January 17, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
    • Love That Insane Swain

January 17, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

@Love That Insane Swain- "Brainless Swain once again delivers a lame and dishonest bit of argumentation that only proves that he cannot support his position honestly."

Ad Hominem.
      I did, you ignored it.
      You rewrote trash...big deal.

January 17, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
    • DamianKnight

I think I get Swain's point of view here. To put it simply:

Religious: God exists
      Atheist: Prove it.
      Religious: I can't.

Atheist: God is a human concept
      Religious: Prove it.
      Atheist: I can't.

Is that about right, Swain?

January 17, 2012 at 3:15 pm |

@DamianKnight- Lol...pretty much.

January 17, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • Chuckles

@Uncouth

I understand that you like to pick at the logical fallacies presented and ultimately come down to neither can empiraclly prove their own position without the elusive and impossible evidence, my question is, where do you stand exactly. you comment a fair amount but I never see you actually take a stance on the subject so what is it exactly and if you don't have a stance, then is it fair to really start commenting on others?

January 17, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

@Chuckles- You are one of the few ppl that have ever asked in a polite way. I thank you for that.
      I am a Christian with no ties to any denomination or church.

January 17, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
    • Chuckles

@Uncouth

Interesting, and is there a specific reason why you don't associate with a specific denomination? Also, if you are a christian in the most general sence, do you frequent a church at all or does your prayer only consist of religious chats with fellow forum boarders, friends and contemplation? It seems weird to me to describe yourself as a specific religion but not select a sect, for instance if someone told me they were muslim but had no opinion on shiia or sunni, doesn't that make their religion less understandable?

January 17, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
    • EnjaySea

There is a 1957 Chevy orbiting Pluto.

I know this for a fact, because you can't prove that there isn't.

January 17, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

@Chuckles- No specific reason beyond I've never felt the need to be in any certain denomination. I've never had much use for ritual for ritual sake that many denominations seem too focused on. Take baptism...it is important but many denominations seem focused on it because they feel you have to do it. Not because of any spiritual need. You should have seen my uncle's reaction (who was Southern Baptist) when I went to the Jordan River and didn't participate in the baptism service they had going on. I told him I didn't felt led to do it and he basically said, "What does that have to do with anything?".

When I pray it doesn't require any other believer to be there.

Being Christian is specific enough for me. I guess I lean Protestant but the need to associate myself with Methodist, Baptist, Mormon...etc never seemed important to my personal faith.

January 17, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

"There is a 1957 Chevy orbiting Pluto."

Dang..inflation must be going up. Used to be just teapots up there. Now we got cars too.
      Totally off the topic in a sense...they did discover another moon of Pluto this past year. Cool stuff...can't wait for New Horizons to get there.

January 17, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
    • EnjaySea

@Uncouth, they discovered a new moon?

Well, there's your proof. That has to be the '57 Chevy.

January 17, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
    • EnjaySea

@GodIsTheWay, as a good friend of ours once said about your religion, and the subject of proof: "That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." (Hitchens).

I dismiss your religion, without evidence.

But I'm going to let you off the hook this time. You are under no obligation to prove that we can't find any evidence of god.

January 17, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

Until I see the fuzzy dice...I won't be able to agree yet.

January 17, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
    • Ironicus

Here's a bit of a problem:
      Religious people who believe in "supernatural" beings, realms, etc, will also argue that there is no way to physically examine a supernatural being, yet who will turn right around and say this "being" did something in our physical world without admitting they just contradicted themselves.
      If you say your "god" can do something in this world, like giving you emotional cues, inspiration, morals, etc., then that is a very physical manifestation of your supposedly unmeasurable "supernatural" being's presence and can therefore be examined, tested, analyzed, and checked out for truthfulness.
      You religious people are already making claims about physical things your "god" does, but will always pretend that this is somehow beyond the pale so much so that it bars us from doing the most basic of examinations as to the veracity of your assertions.
      Thus, you should be able to prove your "god's" existence quite easily.

But what do we hear instead? "Oh, you can't prove our god is made up because it doesn't do anything you can see – it is invisible and super-duper sneaky like that so you cannot prove it doesn't exist."

Yet we CAN prove it doesn't exist. We can rule it out using logic, reasoning, facts, and testing various hypothesis based on your religious assertions.
      We have already proven your god doesn't exist.
      We are just trolling you because we know you can't prove the existence of your non-existent "god." We already know it doesn't exist, since this would have immediate physical effects that could be shown with ease. You can't and there are no physical effects. Your god does not exist as described.

January 17, 2012 at 5:46 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

"Yet we CAN prove it doesn't exist."

No..you really can't. You can prove it to yourself and you might believe in it but you cannot prove it to anyone else. You have faith that a God does not exist.
      Logic and reasoning can be flawed. Facts can be ignored when they do not suit you or others. You cannot take the religious assertions of other and apply them to all faiths.

No..you cannot prove something doesn't exist.

January 17, 2012 at 6:07 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

"will also argue that there is no way to physically examine a supernatural being, yet who will turn right around and say this "being" did something in our physical world without admitting they just contradicted themselves."

It's not really a contradiction. You are making an assumption that a physical world sould be able to effect a supernatural being just because a supernatural being effected the physical world. There is no reason to come to that conclusion.

January 17, 2012 at 6:17 pm |

HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Swain, you really are stupid and transparent as hell. You know I'm right and it shows.

You say there is a god. From whence comes this opinion? For it is not a fact and I have proven it to be false. All you have is an empty opinion not supported by any facts or logic beyond the usual delusional ways of religious dissembling and falsehood and fallacious arguments.

January 17, 2012 at 8:20 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

@Ironicus- I wonder if there is a bit of username stealing going on. Ironicus can be coar_se from time to time, but this is blatantly stupid behavior.

Anywho, "You say there is a god."
      No...I said I was a Christian. I believe in God yes.

"From whence comes this opinion?"
      Personal experience.

"All you have is an empty opinion not supported by any facts or logic beyond the usual delusional ways of religious dissembling and falsehood and fallacious arguments."
      You are incorrect.

"You should change your name to Fallacious Fcukwit, because that is really how you operate."

Ad Hominem...you failed. Whoever you are.

January 17, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
    • Ironicus

"No...I said I was a Christian. I believe in God yes."

So you are saying there is a god.
      This just shows how dishonest you are for all to see.

What an idiot. What a Fallacious Fcukwit.

January 18, 2012 at 4:39 am |
    • Uncouth Swain

"So you are saying there is a god.
      You continue to pretend your statement of belief does not include the assertion that there is a god."

No, I believe their is a God. I never said I could prove it to you. I doubt any evidence could be shown that would ever change your mind.

January 18, 2012 at 10:07 am |
    • Chuckles

@Uncouth

Sorry to drop off yesterday, but I want to sort of pick my line of questioning back up to understand what it is exactly you DO believe in. You say you're not one for ritual for rituals sake, which is understandable as I feel the same (and then some), but is there ever a moment where you believe the ritual is justified? If so, which ones? If not, isn't that directly going against a bunch of Jesus's original teachings (Namely, keeping the sabbath holy)? I understand that being a christian really only involves believing the Jesus Christ is lord and savior and everything after that is just the gravy to sort you into a sect, so I'll add you in the same boat I have with JW and Damian, that you are spiritual and have a clear understanding of the world around you and don't reject most things because of faith, however you still feel a connection with something that is other worldy and you name that connection "Jesus"

Second line of question related directly to the part above, is there a situation where you could be convinced, either through empiracle evidence (not sure what that would be, but roll with me on this) or just through well worded and logical argument to make you question that faith?

January 18, 2012 at 10:13 am |
    • Uncouth Swain

@Chuckles- Don't worry about ever having to leave all this for the real world.

Personally I feel that some rituals are justified because of how it can keep one intuned with their core beliefs. Take baptism for an example. There are those that perform that ritual just because they feel they have to. It does nothing for them from a spiritual standpoint other than saying they have done it. But for others, it is something tangible that joins not only the spiritual with the physical. We are physical beings and when in pursuit of the spiritual cannot just throw the physical to the side.

Your second part you ask me which ones. In general I would have to say that it's a personal thing for each follower. For me...I try the best to my ability to conform myself to the teachings as I see them. Teachers, Preachers, Priests, Rabbi's..etc all have their place in a spiritual journey but I feel that it's on the individual to tackle that which they believe themselves.
      Oh yes....I do not ignore the world around me at all. I know quite a few haters on here have this odd little notion that anyone of faith must ignore everything around them except for their faith. That's a pretty dumb thought but it's all they have sometimes.

Oh..I have question my faith at many times and in different ways. Sometimes it's due to tragic moments. There have been times such as when I was reading Kierkegaard or Camus that made me question certain aspects of my faith.
      I've never was a believer in the political way of looking at stuff. Meaning that one can never change their mind or modify their thoughts in topics. Seems to me that their are those on here that feel that a person of faith must hold onto the exact same view at age 20 that they held at age 15...and will continue to hold till the day they die. If they change their view then they must have been wrong all the long. That's crazy.

January 18, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
  2. momoya

John, please stop spamming.

January 17, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
  3. John

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5zylpNWxVo&w=640&h=360]

January 17, 2012 at 1:34 pm |
    • ......

TROLL ALERT – don't bother viewing this garbage, click the report abuse link instead to get rid of this TROLL!

January 19, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
  4. Colin

"O'Bryan says he believes it's God's plan for the U.S. to "fall away" from Christianity, and is telling his congregation to prepare for "the end times," regardless of who is elected."

Ya gotta love the Bible-cuddlers. Even the growing awareness that Christianity is complete nonsense and the increasing rejection of its supernatural nonsense is "part of god's plan." It reminds of the little boy who responds "well, I didn't want to go anyway" when his older sister refuses to take him to the movies.

Second, why would a 13,720,000,000 year old being capable of creating the Universe and its billions of galazies (each with billions of stars) be so obsessed with the prevailing religious views in the 21st Century USA? Last I checked, there were about 170 countries on this planet.

Let's face it. Evangelicals are simpletons. Frightened, small minded fools.

January 17, 2012 at 1:04 pm |
    • just sayin

If you call you and a handful of ne'er do wells growing awareness then the whole simpleton scenario might have to be revisited. It appears you are the frightened small minded fool

January 17, 2012 at 1:11 pm |
    • Ironicus

20 percent of 300 million is...let's see..60,000,000 people in the US alone.
      Truth is not determined by majority opinion. It doesn't matter how many believe in a fantasy. Fantasies are fantasies.

January 17, 2012 at 1:37 pm |

I like eggs.

January 17, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
    • VanHagar

Colin....If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

January 17, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
    • just sayin

it is well under 1% ironicus ,your math is way faulty. You only get to 1% by including agnostics and the indifferent. Sorry you lose big time.

January 17, 2012 at 1:55 pm |

Eggs change things.

January 17, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
    • sam

@just sayin – do you have any other setting besides smug, disagreeable pr!ck, or is that just your default?

January 17, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
    • Ironicus

The only variation would be upward because many atheists will not admit to it in public. Religious people are delusional and often have violent emotional reactions to non-believers sharing the same planet with them.
      20 percent is actually quite reasonable. The number rises as people near death, also. When you see death coming and you have some time to think about it, many people become atheist on their deathbed as they see right through most of the bullshlt at that time.
      Maybe it is as low as 12 percent in the US, and that computes out to 36 MILLION atheist/agnostics in the US alone.
      Extending that percentage to the world population of 7 billion means that there are at least 840 MILLION atheist/agnostics world-wide.
      Let's round it off to a billion due to many extremist religions where it is extremely dangerous to tell anyone your true atheist/agnostic feelings.
      A billion atheist/agnostics. Better stock up on bible tracts. That's a lot of people who don't believe your bullshlt.
      A billion people is not a "handful". You can try and minimize it all you want but it doesn't do a thing to shut me up.

Your god does not exist.
      Having a bunch of idiots like you agreeing with you does not prove your lies to be truth and never will.

January 17, 2012 at 6:02 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

A lot of guesswork on your part with the above. Hardly scientific.

January 17, 2012 at 6:09 pm |
    • Ironicus

So millions of people are a "handful"? Swain the Fallacious, you are just a joke. A human joke. Very sad.

January 17, 2012 at 8:22 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

@Ironicus The Reading Imparied- "So millions of people are a "handful"?"

You may want to slow down and ask youself....who are you quoting?

But let's focus on why I made the comment you did not quote:
      "..delusional and often....quite reasonable....many people become atheist....Maybe it is as low as....Extending that percentage...Let's round it off to..."

Again..not very scientific. Why don't you just say "would'a, could'a, should'a" next time. It would go better with your mentality.

January 17, 2012 at 8:49 pm |

January 18, 2012 at 4:42 am |
    • Uncouth Swain

"Maybe not very scientific, but you delusional fcukwits don't understand science very well anyway, so what's the diff?"

Calm down kid...no point getting your panties in a bunch. Just because you can't play this game well doesn't mean you have to get all pi_ssy

January 18, 2012 at 10:09 am |
  5. McJesus

My belief in Leprechauns is FAR more valid than your belief in fairies (Angels). The Leprechauns tell me telepathically when I close my eyes that they are getting upset, because too few people wear green. We need to make laws to ensure that everyone wears more green. We need to elect a president who knows what matters. The motto is: "Gold Not God". We need to go back to the gold standard. The Leprechauns promise to provide as much as we need. So no more need to print so much un-backed fake money to bail out the corrupt banks, so that they can continue to ream the citizenry.

January 17, 2012 at 12:57 pm |
    • just sayin

Without God there is no gold.

January 17, 2012 at 1:02 pm |

Just Sayin
      Ok, without God there is no Gold. Please explain why. Totally serious question. I want to understand your take better.

January 17, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
    • Ironicus

Idiots who think going back to a "gold standard" is the way to go have no idea how bad that would be for our economy and the world economy.
      You introduce extra instability when you base one currency upon another currency like gold that is also a commodity and a strategic metal in the world's markets.
      As long as there are proper controls and accountability, fiat money works quite well as we have seen. De-regulate economic factors and financial industries and you have chaos whether the money was based on fiat or gold.
      And you support de-regulation, don't you? Yes, you're one of those.

January 17, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
  6. Brother Maynard

If the after life is so beautiful / wonderful / perfect as believer's dictate.
    Why do they seek medical treatment when they develope a termanal disease?
    Shouldn't that be cause for celebration for them, for they know that they will soon benifit from the wisdom of their beliefs and have eternal life ?

January 17, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
    • McJesus

If only all the zealots would practice what they preach, stop participating in the modern medical system, and revert back to a life expectancy of 34 as was so common in bronze age Jesus-land.

January 17, 2012 at 12:58 pm |
    • just sayin

January 17, 2012 at 1:00 pm |
    • Brother Maynard

just sayin sez:
      "All life and knowledge is given to man by God. God gave us medicine, why wouldn't we use it? Life can be both a testimony and a celebration, why do you only see things as either or?"

Why WOULD you use it ? You should be ELATED that you HAVE a disease. This will end you life of pain ( even if you pain is very small ) and you will be with your lord in a perfect world. You will still be able to visit your friends and family in spirit as well. Really there is no down side. Additionally, having and dying from a terminal disease has no bearing on the testimony and celebration of your life. Many people die from a terminal disease ( whether the recieved medical treatment or not ) and this does not diminish the testimony of their life
      I don't see thing as either / or ... I see life as an "ONLY" ... as there is ONLY this life.

January 17, 2012 at 1:10 pm |
    • just sayin

January 17, 2012 at 1:21 pm |
    • Bizarre

just sayin – "We already know how that is going to work out."

Izzzat so? What do 'we' know?... and how do 'we' know it?

January 17, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
    • just sayin

Personal testimony of millions of credible witnesses as well as an an extensive written text.

January 17, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
    • Brother Maynard

just sayin sez:
      "so when confronting God you will be able to say He isn't there? We already know how that is going to work out."
      so the question was "Why WOULD you use it ( medical treatment) ? " and your answer is what is above ? Hmmm...not a very good answer.
      This is a perfect example of why I cannot buy into what belivers are selling. Because they NEVER answer the question. They deflect or attempt to use the tactics that suckered THEM into belief ( by pastors and other religious members )i.e. guilt, fear, and out right lies.
      Now because I don't do that, I'll answer your response ( although I know you'll never answer mine ). When confronting god I already know what I say. I say nothing. That is similar to you confronting Orcs or elves or Santa or tulip fai.ries

January 17, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
    • Bizarre

just sayin: "...millions of credible witnesses"

Names and verified evidence, please... also, verified evidence that the supernatural beings and events in that "extensive written text" are real, please.

January 17, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
    • just sayin

To date 100% proven accuracy in written text. Names would include all believers in Jesus Christ. Pastor C.L. O'Bryan for one, Billy Graham, etc. etc . for 2000 years. Check out any you like or dislike.

January 17, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
    • Bizarre

just sayin
      "To date 100% proven accuracy in written text."

Ah, like:
      - Pi is 3
      - Bats are birds
      - Rabbits chew cud
      - The Earth is on pillars
      - Dipping a live bird in a dead bird's blood cures leprosy

Accuracy like that, eh?

There is not a whit of verified evidence for the supernatural beings and events regaled that book.

Billy Graham, Pastor O'Bryan, etc. (and you) have nothing more that a "feeling in their hearts" - no verified evidence.

January 17, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
    • Mike from CT

let's start with
      Pi is 3

"And he [Hiram] made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one rim to the other it was round all about, and...a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about....And it was an hand breadth thick...." — First Kings, chapter 7, verses 23 and 26

That is what you are referring to?

Now let's do a hands on experiment. I will even let you use a ruler, which did not exist during the writing.

Take an 8.5 x 11 paper.

Draw a 5 inch line down the middle vertically. Now using that as your guide cut out a circular round shape as best you can, free hand.

Now measure the circ.umference. You can do this by marking one spot on the circle and rolling it along the edge of a ruler until you make one complete revolution.

What did it measure? Was it 15.70796325? No, a little less, a little more... oh well you know what that means...

YOU ARE A LIAR, YOUR ATHIESM IS DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY (ANGRY VOICE)
      YOU DON'T EVEN NO BASIC MATH , STUPID ATHIEST GO BACK TO SCHOOL (ANGRY VOICE)
      YOU SHOULDN'T EVEN BE ALLOWED TO EXIST IF YOUR CIRCLE DOESN'T COME OUT TO EXACTLY PI (ANGRY VOICE BUT CAN'T HELP LAUGHING)

So now you see how the above, given no tools at all, is an accurate statement.

January 17, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
    • Mike from CT

The Earth is on pillars

It is clear that, in context, the reference is to the noble ones, princes, not the physical Earth. Immediately before, the context is people, and immediately after the context is also about people. It is quite clear that this is the meaning, as Gill points out (Ryrie’s Study Bible notes also say the same thing).

Reading comprehension is your friend, don't ignore him

January 17, 2012 at 4:05 pm |
    • Bizarre

Mike from CT - [Pi] a little less, a little more... oh well you know what that means...

"God-breathed", inerrant accuracy?... or the simple rough calculations by primitive Hebrew nomads?

---------------------–

The "pillars of the Earth" were clearly metaphoric noble princes? Bosh, Rubbish and Nonsense.

Evangelical Rule of Thumb:
      If a bible verse furthers the cause, it is to be taken literally. If a bible verse is detrimental to the cause, it is either: taken out of context; is allegorical; refers to another verse somewhere else; is a translation or copyist's error; means something other than what it actually says; Is a mystery of god or not discernible by humans; or is just plain magic.

January 17, 2012 at 6:35 pm |
    • Mike from CT

Bizarre
      Inerrant does not mean perfection in all events. Perfection means perfection.

Inerrant is that what was record is truth. Or the converse freedom from untruths. So regarding this passage it is true that the wheel they measured, however they chose to measure it came out with a reading of a diameter of ten and a circ.umference of 30.

Since we are on the topic two more common misconception: Inerrancy does not equal acceptance of behavior or act. Example Lot's daughter. Inerrancy means that is how it happened.

Also note in the passage it is not God that creates the wheel, so it would also be incorrect to say that God cannot create a circle, and in fact only God can create a perfect circle. Or best AutoCAD programs are still only approximations

Rule of Thumb for all reading:
      Do not read poetry the same way you read historical narrative.

When Maya Angelou talks about the caged bird singing, nobody goes
      Stupid Maya Angelou, birds cannot perform show tunes.

Hope that helps.

January 18, 2012 at 7:48 am |
  7. Rev. Parson

Seek first the Kingdom of God, and His righteousness, and everything else will be added to you.

January 17, 2012 at 12:51 pm |
    • McJesus

Prove it. Show me this magical kingdom. Do they have rides like Disney Land?

January 17, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
    • Rev. Parson

If you seek magical you are looking in the wrong place.

January 17, 2012 at 1:04 pm |

On the contrary Rev. Parson
      Magic is EXACTLY where to look for religion. In fact, that is exactly how one can prove that God does not exist!

When you look at different religions, they usually contain "magic." For example:

• The Mormon religion contains the magical golden plates, the magical angel, the magical seer stones, the magical ascension of the plates into heaven, etc.
      • The Muslim faith contains the magical angel, the magical flying horse, the magical voices, the magical prophet, etc.
      • The Christian faith contains the magical insemination, the magical star, the magical dreams, the magical miracles, the magical resurrection, the magical ascension and so on.
      The presence of "magic" is a clear marker for "imaginary." For example, how do we know that Santa is imaginary? Because (among other things) he has eight magical flying reindeer. How do we know that Jack and the Beanstalk is a fairy tale? Because (among other things) the story contains magical seeds. In the same way, how do we know that God is make believe? Because God is surrounded by magic.

According to believers, God is an all-powerful being who has the divine, magical power to do anything. How do we know that this belief is a fairy tale? One way to know is to try to invoke God's magical power. For example, the Bible tells us in many places that God answers prayers. However, whenever we try to pray, we notice that nothing happens That tells us that God is completely imaginary. The magical powers ascribed to him are a fairy tale.

Another way to know is to read the stories of magical events in the Bible. There is the magical flood, yet we know with certainty that the flood never happened. There are the magical miracles of Jesus, but (predictably) none of these miracles left behind any tangible There is the magical resurrection, yet there is zero evidence that it ever occurred and no reason to believe it.

God is identical to Leprechauns, mermaids and Santa. God is a magical fairy tale creature. The magic surrounding God tells us that God is imaginary.

January 17, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
  8. Woody

This country is in a sad state when a significant number of people are more interested in a candidate's religious beliefs, or lack of same, than his or her ability to solve the many problems that confront us. Children reading math and science books, will do much more for this country than children reading a book full of ancient myths. As one person said, "Two hands working accomplish more than a thousand hands clasped together in prayer". The rest of the modern world must be laughing at us as we proceed on our merry way, backwards.

January 17, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Ironicuss, you are a genious!

January 17, 2012 at 2:12 pm |

LOL

January 17, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Unlike myself who can neither post in the right place or spell genious. I should switch back to The Central Scrutinizer. He can take the humilation better than U.D.

January 17, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
  9. Ungodly Discipline

I would just like to take a moment to compliment the graphic artist who created the Cornerstone logo. See how the "corner" has a cross in it? Genious.

January 17, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Oh man, how could have missed it! The corner of the actual sign is missing. The "corner stone" Genious!

January 17, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
    • Ironicus

It's spelled "genius", genius.

January 17, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Ironicus, you are a genious!

January 17, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Do you think that dood wood git mad if I bricked in the corner while the town was sleaping?

January 17, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
  10. William Demuth

Death to the Infidels!

Funny how the Taliban and the Evangelicals seem so similar.

Inbred rednecks who believe Bronze Age super heros are relevant in the 21st century.

Thank Heavens for Afghanistan. Its like a play ground for zealots where they satiate their lust for the blood of non believers

January 17, 2012 at 11:38 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

William...there were post made by radical Atheist that called for the death of not only all Evangelicals but all those in society who are of Faith, a few articles ago.

Using your logic, the Atheist that posted of wanting to burn down churches and just Holocaust all persons of Faith, do they belong in the playground of Afghanistan as well?

January 17, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
    • Ironicus

Okay I'm rolling my eyes now. Makes it hard to type.

January 17, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
  11. Doc Vestibule

He's telling his flock to prepare for the End Times?
    I hope he's giving more practical advise than "pray".
    For example – your Apocalypse Panic Bag should contain:
    FIRST AID/DRUGS
    Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, broad spectrum anti-biotics (ie: penicillin, erythromyacin), stimulants (ie: dexedrine, methylphenidate), antibiotic ointment, high proof alcohol, large triangular bandages (x3), gauze, maxi-pads (great for stopping all kinds of bleeding), medical tape, safety pins, adhesive bandages.
    SUSTENANCE
    Collapsible water jugs (1-2 litres each), sugar, chewing gum, salt packets, breakfast bars, tinned meat/fruit/veg, water purification tablets, pre-sweetened kool-aid
    FIRE
    Water proof matches, Bic lighters, steno block (in waterproof bag)
    TOOLS
    Folding shovel, pocket knife, hunting knife, fishing line/hooks, razor blade, whet stone, signal mirror, paper, pencil, emergency blanket, mesh hammock, LED flashlight, cooking pot
    Total weight should not exceed 20 lbs.

With all the Christians raptured, it'll be every heathen for themselves!

January 17, 2012 at 8:50 am |
    • Big Non Believen Heathen

Watch out Muneef might start to realize you still need non believers during an emergency situation because of the difference between IQ's of religious and the nonreligious, one side knows being prepared and the other prays. Just like when I saw this stupid question one time that asked "If WW3 started tomorrow are all the atheists going to run into chruch to pray" every atheist said why would I go to a chruch when I need to get into a bomb shelter.

January 17, 2012 at 10:38 am |
    • empiremonkey

Hahhah at the bomb shelter quip. Made me howl with laughter. Hey.... was jesus a republican?

January 17, 2012 at 11:47 am |
    • captain america

We drink our water in gallons. Why don't you worry about canada and let US worry about our needs. Bottom line we do not need you to think for us. Go pound salt. There's your sign

January 17, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Captain America
      Hey Cap'n! Long time to see.
      You're getting even more abrasive with each passing day.
      And still plagiarizing unfunny, redneck comedians I see.

January 17, 2012 at 12:56 pm |
    • just sayin

To plagiarize is to use someones phrase, that isn't it. You want to talk unfunny? john candy was never funny like cap says go pound salt.

January 17, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@just sayin
      Uhm... the catch phrase about signs is owned by the aforementioned redneck comedian.
      Ergo – Cap's use of it is plagiarization. Dig?
      And who gives a flyin fig about John Candy?
      Sift through en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_comediansCached – Similar and I'm sure you'll find someone that makes you laugh.

January 17, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

Oops.
      Bad link.

January 17, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
    • Chuckles

I'm going to step in here:

John Candy is hilarious and does not deserve the disrepect seen on this thread from either an American of his fellow countryman. Please watch either Home Alone or Cool Runnings and tell me John Candy doesn't steal your heart a little.

January 17, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
    • Ironicus

C'mon herbie! Quit being such a dlck and just be an ass-hole like the rest of us.

January 17, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
    • sam

cap, what do you get out of posting the same stupid thing every time? Are you using a macro or something? You're boring.

January 17, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
  12. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

January 17, 2012 at 4:55 am |
    • Mirosal

No, it cannot, and that's according to your OWN doctrine.

January 17, 2012 at 5:00 am |
    • Religion is not healthy for those who were burned alive for heresy

Vacuous sayings, and fabricated deities don't change things. Only people do.

January 17, 2012 at 11:47 am |
    • empiremonkey

.... because thinking for oneself is frowned upon by god?

January 17, 2012 at 11:48 am |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things
      Prayer is the evidence of a life lived well

January 17, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

The lord told me to create a handle that insults atheists, then use it to post my snappy epithets about prayer, day after day. He told me, never, ever respond to any comments, because they're all inspired by the devil, and also I'm not very good at debating.

If I feel that the devil is getting the upper hand, the lord told me to jump back in to the replies and post more of the same drivel about prayers. By doing that, I'm showing my devotion to god, and avoiding any conflict at the same time. Maybe I'll get to go to heaven. I'll pray about it.

January 17, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things
      Prayer is the power of victory before the battle
      Prayer destroys the strongholds
      Prayer touches the heart of God
      Prayer brings life
      Prayer brings freedom
      Prayer brings victory
      Prayer really changes things

January 17, 2012 at 1:44 pm |

Is this thing on?

January 17, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Do you see how clever that was? What point is there in arguing something that I can't possibly defend, when I can respond to all replies with more unsubstantiated quips about prayer.

Do you see how I get the atheists so riled up? This just shows how pure I am, while exposing how hot-headed those atheists are. I'm even better than I thought I was!

January 17, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

By the way, when I get real scared of the devil posting his replies, I respond by typing even more than the usual number of rote quips about prayer.

The more I type, the more angry the atheists get!

January 17, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • Chuckles

@Atheism ....

*Golf clap* so you've decided how awesome you are by spamming a comment board and then congratulating yourself on figuring out that when you poke the bear the bear actually reacts? Would you like a cookie?

January 17, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer bakes cookies.
      Prayer makes the devil say things about cookies.

When the devil talks I cover my ears and go "neiner, neiner". That makes him go away.

January 17, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
    • Chuckles

Just trying to follow along, are you calling me Satan or all atheists in general?

January 17, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

The lord told me that anyone who responds to my idiotic, religious drivel, must be one of Satan's minions. Not all atheists are spawned from the devil. Only those who dare to challenge my vacuous, illiterate rantings about prayer.

January 17, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
    • Bob

The only thing that seems to effectively fall on deaf atheist ears is the sound of Prayer.
      Keep these prayer messages coming!!

January 17, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Thanks Bob. I'll do just that!

Because if it's one thing I know how to do, it's to think up sentences that start with "Prayer", but don't end with a period.

Thinking...

January 17, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
    • TR6

Prayer is whistling in the dark

January 18, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
  13. Muneef

Atheists vs Religious

A tourist asked a boat guy, "Do you know Biology, Psychology,
    Geography, Geology or Criminology?
    The boat guy said, "NO...." not any.
    The tourist then asked, "What the hell do you know on the face of this earth? You will die of illiteracy!"
    The boat guy said nothing…..
    ... After a while the boat developed a fault and started sinking.
    The boatman then asked the tourist, "Do you know Swimology and Escapology from Crocodiology?"
    The tourist said, "NO!"
    The boat guy replied, "Well today you will Drownology and Crocodiology will eat your Assology and you will Dieology because of your Badmouthology"

January 17, 2012 at 4:16 am |
    • JohnR

Are you suggesting that religious people are particularly good people to have around in a disaster, Muneef? I would beg to differ.

January 17, 2012 at 6:54 am |
    • Reality

To prevent Muneef from drowning in the absurdity that is Islam:

from the studies of Armstrong, Rushdie, Hirsi Ali, Richardson and Bayhaqi)

The Five Steps To Deprogram 1400 Years of Islamic Myths:
      ( –The Steps take less than two minutes to finish- simply amazing, two minutes to bring peace and rationality to over one billion lost souls- Priceless!!!)

Are you ready?

Using "The 77 Branches of Islamic "faith" a collection compiled by Imam Bayhaqi as a starting point. In it, he explains the essential virtues that reflect true "faith" (iman) through related Qur’anic verses and Prophetic sayings." i.e. a nice summary of the Koran and Islamic beliefs.

The First Five of the 77 Branches:

"1. Belief in Allah"

aka as God, Yahweh, Zeus, Jehovah, Mother Nature, etc. should be added to your self-cleansing neurons.

"2. To believe that everything other than Allah was non-existent. Thereafter, Allah Most High created these things and subsequently they came into existence."

Evolution and the Big Bang or the "Gi-b G-nab" (when the universe starts to recycle) are more plausible and the "akas" for Allah should be included if you continue to be a "crea-tionist".

"3. To believe in the existence of angels."

A major item for neuron cleansing. Angels/de-vils are the mythical creations of ancient civilizations, e.g. Hitt-ites, to explain/define natural events, contacts with their gods, big birds, sudden winds, protectors during the dark nights, etc. No "pretty/ug-ly wingy thingies" ever visited or talked to Mohammed, Jesus, Mary or Joseph or Joe Smith. Today we would classify angels as f–airies and "tin–ker be-lls". Modern de-vils are classified as the de-mons of the de-mented.

"4. To believe that all the heavenly books that were sent to the different prophets are true. However, apart from the Quran, all other books are not valid anymore."

Another major item to delete. There are no books written in the spirit state of Heaven (if there is one) just as there are no angels to write/publish/distribute them. The Koran, OT, NT etc. are simply books written by humans for humans.

Prophets were invented by ancient scribes typically to keep the un-educated masses in line. Today we call them for-tune tellers.

Prophecies are also invali-dated by the natural/God/Allah gifts of Free Will and Future.

"5. To believe that all the prophets are true. However, we are commanded to follow the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him)
      alone."
      Mohammed spent thirty days "fasting" (the Ramadan legend) in a hot cave before his first contact with Allah aka God etc. via a "pretty wingy thingy". Common sense demands a neuron deletion of #5. #5 is also the major source of Islamic vi-olence i.e. turning Mohammed's "fast, hunger-driven" hallu-cinations into horrible reality for unbelievers.

Walk these Five Steps and we guarantee a complete recovery from your Islamic ways!!!!

Unfortunately, there are not many Muslim commentators/readers on this blog so the "two-minute" cure is not getting to those who need it. If you have a Muslim friend, send him or her a copy and help save the world.

Analogous steps are available at your request for deprogramming the myths of Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism and Paganism..

January 17, 2012 at 7:41 am |

Athiest vs. Religious

They both died and nothing happened.

The End.

January 17, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • Muneef

JohnR.
      Friend I was not stating that religious people are particularly good people since there are many awkward among them...but rather meant buy my comment that only religiously good people will be saved when life ends on earth and judgment time come along for repayment for our deeds...

January 17, 2012 at 6:06 pm |
    • Muneef

When the earth is shaken with its [final] earthquake (99:1)

And the earth discharges its burdens (99:2)

And man says, "What is [wrong] with it?" – (99:3)

That Day, it will report its news (99:4)

Because your Lord has commanded it. (99:5)

That Day, the people will depart separated [into categories] to be shown [the result of] their deeds. (99:6)

So whoever does an atom's weight of good will see it, (99:7)

And whoever does an atom's weight of evil will see it.(99:8)

January 17, 2012 at 6:14 pm |
    • Ironicus

Islam is a lie and should be destroyed. It has no redeeming characteristics. (2001.9-11)

January 17, 2012 at 8:26 pm |
  14. RLONG

I DON'T believe! It may hazardous to your health. Many have stopped smoking, Well, I have stopped believing, PERIOD. (just the verb) It's kinda like being stupid, there's no pressure.

January 17, 2012 at 2:23 am |
  15. Merde

They are focusing on evil, not piety. Evil are their goals, and bankrupt are their souls. None will touch them but each other.

January 17, 2012 at 1:36 am |
  16. Big Non Believen Heathen

I can not wait until the day the religious right is such a minority they don't have the power to spew nonsense on the rest of the population. We atheists need to get the religious to actually read those bibles cover to cover so they understand it's just nonsense nothing else or use their dellusions for our advantage like quoting revelations so they stop voting dimwits like George W. Bush, Rick Santorium, Michelle Bachman, Sarah Palin, Rick Perry etc... into office that are going to destroy and bring this country backwards. I'm getting to the point that poiliticans and clergy know that religion is bs and use it to gain authority. Just watch people like Jack Van Impe who goes on rants that this is the end of days and President Obama or former British Prime Minister Tony Blar have to be the anti-christ and are about to start a New World Order. Just like George Carlin said it's the biggest scam on the planet.

January 17, 2012 at 12:16 am |
    • Truth

4Do not answer a fool according to his folly,

or you will be like him yourself.

January 17, 2012 at 12:51 am |
    • Mirosal

But, before the world ends, you have to buy Jack Van Impe's electronic bible!!! Can't have an armageddon without it!! And then there's that wife of his .. T. Rex .. oops I mean Rexella - 65 and trying to look 30.

January 17, 2012 at 1:33 am |
    • Big Non Believen Heathen

Real truth, your the fool if you actually believe the bible.

January 17, 2012 at 10:39 am |
  17. Scorn

OMG they're up to something again!
    When the first thing they say out the door is "we weren't doing anything like such and so but only gathered to talk about our mental slaves" the first thing that comes to mind is they're lying and trying to control the "conversation" by steering it in a particular direction.
    So, worst case, they're not only into politics they came together to form a partnership or something, and they agreed to force their mental slaves to all vote for the same candidate, whether determined at this meeting or not is not clear from the soundbites, but they definitely came together for the purpose of subverting the voting process in some way because they specifically mentioned talking about their followers.
    Best case? They are thinking of changing their illegal antics because angry followers are leaving in droves and they need mutual support for maximum financial gain. They want market share, maybe they could stop being total pieces of sht and go back to helping America instead of tearing it down like criminals without shame. Maybe they have shame? Naw. I was just joking. They aren't going to change for the better.

January 17, 2012 at 12:06 am |
  18. Reality

Dear Citizens of South Carolina,

A prayer just for you:

The Apostles' Creed 2011: (updated by yours truly and based on the studies of historians and theologians of the past 200 years)

Should I believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
    and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
    human-created, spirit state of bliss called heaven??

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
    preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
    named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
    girl named Mary. (Some say he was a mamzer.)

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
    the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
    a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
    Jerusalem.

Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by
    many semi-fiction writers. A descent into Hell, a bodily resurrection
    and ascension stories were promulgated to compete with the
    Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
    grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
    and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
    called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen

January 17, 2012 at 12:01 am |
    • .........

Spam hit report abuse on all reality repeat bull sh it

January 17, 2012 at 4:56 am |
  19. The Religious Right has already lost this election

So the evangelicals held an "Anyone but a Mormon" meeting? Yeah. I'm thinking that, Romney or Obama, the Religious Right is now officially out of power in Washington for at least 4 years. They won't get a junior assistant file clerk in the Department of Juggling to return a call.

"Hello, this is Focus On Family Calling President Romney? Hello? Hello? I think they hung up on us again!"

January 16, 2012 at 11:38 pm |
    • JohnR

Yep!

January 17, 2012 at 6:58 am |
  20. thegodless

I'm looking forward to the day when the entire religious right is relegated to the fringes of American politics. Considering the tax exempt status, this is where religion should be anyways. If not for decades of pandering politicians, America would likely still be the shining example of freedom and progress.

January 16, 2012 at 10:53 pm |
    • Portland tony

Why are folks so inclined to attempt to change another person's personal relationship with their God? History is full of examples of one group stating "my God is more righteous than yours". And to what end. Pithy philosophical differences have started wars, caused mass migrations and allowed bigots to flourish. I'm of the firm belief that many turn away from organized religion simply because, in practice, they just don't make sense. As an adult, I am free to choose what sort of religious belief, if any, I choose, so butt out all you proselytizing fools and take the helm of your own belief!

January 17, 2012 at 9:48 am |
    • McJesus

A personal yeast infection is real. A personal relationship with one's god is not. While it may be entertaining to have an imaginary friend, it starts to become a sign of mental illness if it continues much beyond the age of 5.

January 17, 2012 at 1:06 pm |