home
RSS
January 19th, 2012

'Hate religion, love Jesus' video goes viral

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - With so many atheists coming out of the closet, it’s not difficult to imagine a video decrying religion racking up millions of hits on YouTube.

But a video along those lines has been viewed 15 million times and liked more than a quarter-million times since it was posted on January 10, featuring an enthusiastic young Christian from Washington state.

[youtube= http://youtu.be/1IAhDGYlpqY]

“What if I told you Jesus came to abolish religion?” 22-year-old Jefferson Bethke says in the video, reciting a spoken word poem he wrote. “What if I told you getting you to vote Republican really wasn’t his mission?”

“I mean if religion is so great, why has it started so many wars?” he says later. “Why does it build huge churches but fail to feed the poor?”

Bethke's video is emerging as a symbol for many young evangelical Christians who are calling themselves “followers of Jesus” rather than overtly identifying with institutional Christianity. Many of the country's fastest-growing churches are nondenominational.

“Religion is man-centered,” Bethke writes in a post accompanying his YouTube video. “Jesus is God-centered.”

In the video, Bethke talks about what he calls his own spiritual rebirth, saying he went from being a self-righteous religious person to an admittedly deeply broken believer.

The video has provoked an avalanche of response, including other YouTube videos, like "Why I hate religion but love Jesus, Muslim Version" and "Why I Dislike Your Poem, But Love God," which includes these lines:

I see where you’re coming from but there’s insanity in your vision
You overlook the fact that Christianity is religion
You’re like the van who claims to hate diets
Or astrophysicists who reject laws of science.

That response video has itself been viewed 390,000 times. Not bad.

Many religious bloggers echoed that video’s criticism on Bethke, alleging he’s trumpeting tenets of Christianity while purporting to blast organized religion. Critics called Bethke’s take on religion overly simplistic and dangerous.

“Anyone who does just a little digging on Bethke's YouTube channel or on Google will quickly learn that this young poet is a conservative Christian and member of the Mars Hill Church led by controversial pastor Mark Driscoll,” writes Patheos blogger Brian Kirk, a Missouri-based pastor. “All this seems to me an odd résumé for one who lambastes organized religion.”

Yet Kirk marvels at the national conversation that Bethke has provoked around deep questions:

Certainly one can agree or disagree with Bethke's take on religion but it's difficult not to admire the way he has stirred up those of us who may have been slumbering comfortably in our own faith without really thinking about why we do what we do. Some times the best way to wake up a sleeping giant is to poke it with a stick and Bethke has done just that.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity

soundoff (3,716 Responses)
  1. Getting Hold of God

Here's a more accurate video on the same topic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ru_tC4fv6FE

January 19, 2012 at 10:51 pm |
  2. Chad

Jesus > religion

awesome video, well done!

January 19, 2012 at 10:24 pm |
    • Anon

I guess the contradictions went over your head like always.

January 19, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
    • Donald Shimoda

Anon, Chad is simply choosing a path. It is not your path, it is not my path. Intelligence is not fair or equally distributed. He enjoys his choices and that is his absolute right.

January 19, 2012 at 10:46 pm |
    • Anon

Yep a path that screws it up for the rest of us.

January 20, 2012 at 12:48 am |
    • moonster

I concur. Jesus never said 'C'mon boys let's start a new religion all about me'.

January 22, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
  3. Anon

We atheists have a relationship with something called REALITY, not MYTHOLOGY.

January 19, 2012 at 10:08 pm |
    • Donald Shimoda

Anon, your reality is an illusion. All mytholigies that live within that illusion are part of the same illusion. You cannot argue that unless you want to.

January 19, 2012 at 10:54 pm |

if you do not belive then why do you care,. So many rant and rave, about what someone has wriitten about their belief in jesus, and others write how foolish it all is. If they do not care or belive, why even argue a point that they do not believe. Sounds like to me they just need to argue to themselves a truth, that they beieve but want admit.. Their truth or belief is theirs, but they want everyone else to belive what they think, they want you to agree with them that there is no God so they can be right. They argue that point so much, that they argue it to much, to be right.

January 20, 2012 at 1:05 pm |
    • Lycidas

@Follower of paul- hmm, why do you feel the need to copy/paste?

January 20, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
    • MIXXBEATS

LOL.

January 20, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
    • scott

I believe im going to Heaven... atheists believe they die and then there's nothingness..... yeah, i gotta get me some of that.

January 20, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
    • jtarver

Probabilities and Relativity prove that a sentient being outside the universe is required to make the universe real, as Albert Einstein postulated in Copenhagen in 1927. No matter what one might make of the "sentient being outside the universe", it is the only Reality.

January 21, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
    • layne arnold

give yourself a pat on the back for being so enlightened.

January 22, 2012 at 2:11 am |
    • Seer Clearly

Reality is just an illusion like the ones that Religion perpetrates. Modern science, in the form of quantum theory, has shown us that nearly everything about our universe's reality is illusion. This was written by Vedic scribes nearly 10,000 years ago, when spirituality and science were the same thing. Today's enlightened beings – the Christ-conscious – say that they can "see" that "reality" is illusion with their eyes/mind. Perhaps we have more capabilities than we thought, but one thing is for sure: every year, science and spirituality are coming close together in their description of "reality", and leaving the made-up hocus pocus of Religion further and further behind.

January 22, 2012 at 9:37 pm |
    • ProHumanity

@follower of paul I don't know if you realize this... but many innocent people already have, still do, and still will pay the hefty price for your self-indulgent fantasy. Religion has created a beast in Humanity, a beast that we have yet to fight. Religions other than yours sound false and just CRAZY right? Well, so does yours to us. We care because it is dividing our planet in the most violent, blind, and sorrowful way, daily. I have no desire to bring an immediate end to religion. It will breed out eventually. Maybe then finally, we can have peace.

January 27, 2012 at 3:52 am |
  4. Anon

Christians are screwed up in the head.

January 19, 2012 at 10:06 pm |
    • lulu

Are you trying to prove that you are not by insulting people?

January 20, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
    • shortie

Can't finish watching it....need i say more?

January 21, 2012 at 9:31 pm |
    • Answer

Great video. Well reasoned and straight to the point.

January 22, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
    • J

This drunk may be a wife beater.. Look out single ladies.

January 22, 2012 at 11:15 pm |
  5. Prayer is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer causes small kids to get hit by buses when they aren't paying attention.
    Prayer wears out your clothes prematurely.
    Prayer contributes to global warming through excess CO2 emissions.
    Prayer fucks up your knees and your back.
    Prayer can cause heart attacks, especially among the elderly.
    Prayer exposes your backside to pervert priests.
    Prayer just wastes time.

January 19, 2012 at 9:14 pm |
    • Donald Shimoda

Can you save the world? Would you step in front of that bus? Would you walk rather than ride? Do what pleases you.

January 19, 2012 at 9:26 pm |
    • gupsphoo

When you're trapped in a fire, pray to Jesus and nothing will happen.
      When you're trapped in a fire, call 911 and I will come to save you (I'm a fireman).
      Me > Jesus.

January 19, 2012 at 9:52 pm |
    • Anon

Prayer is the equivalent of this:

January 19, 2012 at 10:21 pm |

@gupsphoo
      You want to be a fireman.

January 19, 2012 at 11:20 pm |
    • J

haha, Anon! I got through 20 seconds of that video. Prayer is not like that:)

January 22, 2012 at 11:27 pm |
  6. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things
    Prayer upsets demons

January 19, 2012 at 8:29 pm |
    • Donald Shimoda

Why do you have such fear? The demons are but illusions.

January 19, 2012 at 8:38 pm |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things
      Prayer is conversation with God
      Prayer is love
      Prayer does not fear
      Prayer is Truth
      Prayer reveals heaven
      Prayer changes things

January 19, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
    • Prior

"Only those who follow the path will rise up in the name of the Ori."

"Hallowed are the Ori"

January 19, 2012 at 9:02 pm |
    • Donald Shimoda

You are free to do with your time as you wish. Just as others are free to with their time as they wish. We are all doing exactly what we want to do.

January 19, 2012 at 9:03 pm |
    • ab

Religious fantasy is not healthy for children and other living things.

January 20, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
    • Nero

prayer is totally harmless. Even if someone is praying so hard, that it kills them, that's a good thing. It's kinda like survival of the fittest, but really it's survival ff he smartest. Plenty of studies have shown that the smarter you are, the less likely you are to believe in god. Ignorance is bliss... right christians?

January 20, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
  7. Donald Shimoda

There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts.

January 19, 2012 at 8:19 pm |
    • Ban Religion

Tell that to someone who's kid just died from cancer. They sought out the death of their child and the mountain of medical bills. Because it's a gift. Right?

January 19, 2012 at 9:45 pm |
    • Donald Shimoda

Did you cause this death? Did I?

January 19, 2012 at 11:17 pm |
    • Anon

Up yours you William Lane Craig wannabe.

January 20, 2012 at 1:07 am |
  8. RightTurnClyde

I have really tried to find a religion I could BE in but it has not been possible. So I belling to the same church Jesus belonged to. I DO listen to Dr. J. Vernon McGee. almost daily and have read the bible from cover to cover at least six times. I have a minor in theology and a minor in Christian philosophy. I am familiar with MOST of "church history" from Acts to Nicaea through Augustine and Aquinas .. Anselm and Becket. I read the KJV. Otherwise I am unaffiliated and my ashes will go into a military cemetery. I cannot feel good about any religion.

January 19, 2012 at 8:03 pm |
    • RightTurnClyde

I should add that those familiar with me know me to be warm and friendly, easy to get along, congenial, well reasoned, well rad, balanced, level headed, flexible, open minded .. so I ought to fit into any church and welcome. But no, they fined me to be intractable, cantankerous, rigid, conservative and maybe even difficult. I cannot understand why but it is fairly consistent. So I am pretty much unwelcome in MOST churches.

January 19, 2012 at 8:09 pm |

Congratulations.

January 19, 2012 at 8:34 pm |
    • Donald Shimoda

Your church is where you are, and you are accepted there.

January 19, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
    • kevin Russell

Let me offer this again.
      Scientology has a secret doctrine. The truth that they beleive in isn't shared with new converts. You have to join and support the 'church' for about 3 years before they even beging to tell you what they beleive. People are entering this 'church' faster than they are wising up and leaving it. It was founded by a science fiction writer,
      If THAT can provide people with the support and moral guidance they need, any book of stories with good moral endings could be the basis to start a church – with or without an actual diety behind it all.

Religion is a crutch for the week minded and a tool to control the masses.

January 19, 2012 at 9:39 pm |
    • evolvedDNA

RTC...sounds like you have discovered the truth and need to be an atheist.....think free,

January 20, 2012 at 1:12 am |
    • shortie

RTC, you will find a church one day, If not, like the guy was saying, you don't need a church to believe in God and Jesus, and you don't need a church to follow jesus's ways. Secondly DON'T join scientology they are very expensive and strict. Thirdly don't join atheism unless you want to go through life being a troll living a purposeless life. For what is the reason of life, if in the end you just turn into dust and that is it?

January 21, 2012 at 9:41 pm |
  9. Donald Shimoda

I am tired of clinging. Though I cannot see it with my eyes, I trust that the current knows where it is going. I shall let go of this twig and let the water take me where it will. Clinging, I shall die of boredom.

January 19, 2012 at 7:55 pm |
  10. Ban Religion

The guy in that video is a retard. In the worthless pile of crap called the bible, jesus said he wasn't around to abolish the old law. He was nothing more than a guy who was sick of judaism, so he used it to his advantage and created a new religion. Sorry, idiot christians, but you can't escape the fact religion if you believe in a doctrine. christians are morons. Keep trying to justify your stupid myth.

January 19, 2012 at 6:35 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

Wow man, I'm no believer but calling people retarded for their beliefs shows how like the "extreme fundamentalists" you are. Close minded, angry and willing to put people down just because they believe something you don't. Claiming to know who Jesus was this long after his death is also as bad as the religious saying they know better. It is impossible to know exactly who Jesus was in this day and age so making a statement, that is inherently unprovable from either standpoint, as if it were fact is useless.

January 19, 2012 at 7:24 pm |

Not closed-minded.
      Not angry.

Willing to put me down based on assumptions. Sounds a lot like what you're saying about me. Hypocrite. Just like a typical christian. If you have any more pointless, bonehead accusations you'd like to kick around, pass the ball to someone who actually gives a sh!t.

January 19, 2012 at 8:33 pm |

BR
      It is what we do that defines us. What are you doing?

January 19, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@Ban Religion

Your tag says a lot about what you stand for, reading your other posts reveals a pattern of mean-spirited treatment of others. Also with the typical christian comment are you calling me a christian or saying that I am acting like a christian? I notice that you did not address anything that i typed except for close-minded and angry, and your own posts refute those assertions.

January 19, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
    • Ban Religion

I'm sitting. How does that define me, Dr. Fortune Cookie Philosopher?

January 19, 2012 at 9:05 pm |
    • Ban Religion

Your tag implies you wish to appear neutral and unassuming because you're afraid of offending people. This kind of personality trait guarantees a mediocre lifestyle. Assumptions sure are fun and exciting. I'll be sure to polish one off after I type this all out.

If you haven't already figured it out (I'm left to assume here because you haven't exactly made the assertion), I simply do not care about other people's feelings. There. I said it. By all means, continue your lecture. We're all waiting for the climax to your riveting lesson of comment etiquette.

January 19, 2012 at 9:12 pm |
    • Donald Shimoda

You are free to be angry or to be at peace. If sarcasm makes you happy, then I encourage you to enjoy it.

January 19, 2012 at 9:13 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@Ban Religion

Being able to respond to anything with only sarcasm and what you think are "witty remarks" shows a complete lack of intellect, not to mention a lack of any relevant information.

January 19, 2012 at 9:20 pm |

@HG
      It is not a requirement of life to have intellect or share relevant information, unless you want to.

January 19, 2012 at 9:28 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@Donald Shimoda

It is not a requirement but it should be an imperative. The continuation of useful discourse is what drives innovation.

January 19, 2012 at 9:30 pm |
    • Ban Religion

You obviously missed the "I don't care" part. You must be under the impression my purpose here is to impress and entertain you with doctorate-level commentary to stimulate blood flow within your cranium. If you're looking for a mental hard-on, you're in the wrong place.

January 19, 2012 at 9:30 pm |
    • Ban Religion

Innovation is driven by mankind's incessant need to fulfill self-gratification as fast as possible. The CNN belief blog is hardly the place for innovation.

January 19, 2012 at 9:33 pm |

HG
      It is those who wish to drive innovation that drive it. Not those who don't. We are all doing exactly what we want to do.

January 19, 2012 at 9:34 pm |
    • Ban Religion

Donald. You say so much without saying anything at all. I don't do what I don't want to do. I do what I want to do. I get off the toilet when my legs fall asleep. I am where I want to be, not where others think I am. More is less. Less is more. Small is large. Short is tall in stature. Did you audition for the part of "The Sphynx" in the movie "Mystery Men?" I can't believe you didn't get the part.

Your philosophical commentary is so profound.

January 19, 2012 at 9:42 pm |

BR-

January 19, 2012 at 11:27 pm |
  11. hodgepodge4thesoul

Reblogged this on Hodgepodge 4 the Soul.

January 19, 2012 at 6:27 pm |
  12. Lorraine

Some days I wonder why people who hate religion come to the "belief blog" to voice their opinions. Seriously. If you don't like it, fine. But stop taking over the comment sections of uplifting stories to rant about how you hate religious fanatics. At least make a comment about the video instead of getting up on a soapbox.

As for me, I thought this was a great example of where I think the church (little c) should be headed. The first christian church was based in houses, churches went out of their way to help others, and multi-tudes were added every week because of the amazing love and gracious spirit they saw in people. No evangelizing, just helping out others and sharing faith in the process. (Acts 2:41-47)

January 19, 2012 at 6:21 pm |
    • Tony

"But stop taking over the comment sections of uplifting stories to rant about how you hate religious fanatics"

So when there are uplifting stories about gay christian people will you and others do the same. NOT!

January 19, 2012 at 6:24 pm |
    • Electric Larry

Lorraine, the Belief Blog regularly has articles on atheism. We are not allowed to comment? Are people of other views than your own forbidden to exercise their freedom of speech? You want us stifled? Can Wiccans speak their minds, or are they banished too?

January 19, 2012 at 6:28 pm |
    • Lycidas

@Tony- so you would justify your bad behavior because of what other ppl do?

January 19, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
    • Lycidas

"Why are Christians so unable to tolerate other views? Why are they so unable to defend their ideas?"

Why do those that don't like Christianity always going to extremes? Why are they always wanting to go to absolutes?

January 19, 2012 at 6:32 pm |
    • Tony

"@Tony- so you would justify your bad behavior because of what other ppl do?"

Lycidas does love to play games don't you. Nice twisting job, you must be a Christian.

January 19, 2012 at 6:33 pm |
    • Prior

"Fear not the Ori, fear the darkness that would conceal the knowledge of the universe. Believe in the truth of all things, and you too may find the path to enlightenment."

"Hallowed are the Ori"

January 19, 2012 at 6:36 pm |
    • Ban Religion

Lorraine, try reading the rest of the bible. jesus ain't coming back. In his own words, he was supposed to return almost 2,000 years ago. Shove this video and your bible.

January 19, 2012 at 6:36 pm |
    • Ban Religion

Some days I wonder why religious retards that believe in fairy tales come to the "belief blog" when they shouldn't have to justify believing in their stupid fairy tales.

January 19, 2012 at 6:38 pm |
    • Lorraine

Tony: When there are uplifting stories about people who I do not agree with, I do not comment JUST to say that I don't agree with them as people. I cannot speak for others, though I know that there are comments the other way. It has been my experience that calling people "weak minded" "ped-o-philes" and "idiots" for their beliefs on CNN happens more often than people degrading ho-mo-s-ex-ual rights. Your comment about "twisting" the facts just because Lycidas is using your words against you is one example of the crude generalizations I get frustrated about.

Electric Larry: I have no desire to stifle you. You may express your opinion freely. I would merely point to other avenues to get out your frustration towards religious zealots rather than spouting off about how horrible Christians are in the comment sections about harmless youtube videos. For instance, an article about the hypocrisy of a priest who committed a s.e.x crime. Feel free to put comments there about the problems you have with Christianity as a whole.

In general, I ask for civility from all sides and less generalization towards any group of people. Atheists are not all stubborn, Christians are not all weak minded or advocates for the religious right, and gays are not out to destroy marriage. Please stop calling us names, it is not nice.

January 19, 2012 at 6:46 pm |
    • Lorraine

Ban Religion: *Sigh* How do I explain this to you? Calling people religious retards and insulting their deeply held beliefs is no way to have a civil and productive debate. But, this seems unlikely to be important to you, considering you chose the name "Ban Religion" to express these views.

January 19, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
    • Prior

@Lorraine – "Truth is elusive to those who refuse to see with both eyes."

"Hallowed are the Ori."

January 19, 2012 at 6:57 pm |
    • ..

""twisting" the facts just because Lycidas is using your words against you is one example of the crude generalizations I get frustrated about."

Kettle meet pot, pot meet kettle – hypocrite

January 19, 2012 at 7:04 pm |
    • Sheik Yerbouti

Lorrane you are a religious retard. It is not possible to have a productive debate about deeply held religious beliefs because they are fiction and nonsense.

January 19, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
    • Lorraine

To the person named .. : I meant that the fact that he said that just because she was "twisting facts" it meant she was Christian was an unjustified generalization. I am not saying that all atheists post terrible things or that all Christians are right. I am explaining that there seems to be a lot of hate and anger in the comments under a pretty neutral article. It would be hypocritical for me to say that the insults were "so atheist" or that liking fabric was "so gay" and THEN to say that other people's comments were wrong.

January 19, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
    • Ummm

"I am explaining that there seems to be a lot of hate and anger in the comments under a pretty neutral article. "

That is your interpretation of the words being used doesn't mean it's true. Most people here use this blog for entertainment. I know I laugh a lot at what is being written and do not read it as hatred. If I call you a bitch you can get angry over it, you can laugh knowing I am not serious, you can not react to it all, etc..etc... You are choosing how to react to what is being written, maybe it's time to stop blaming others but look at yourself and the choice you use to react.

January 19, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
    • Lycidas

@Tony- Sorry Tony, but you falling into a fallacy of absolutes has nothing to do with my faith or anyone's faith. Just your inability to debate.

January 19, 2012 at 8:20 pm |
    • Ban Religion

It is impossible to have a productive debate with someone who believes in fairy tales. Especially when those fairy tales are proven false, which they have been. That's alright, you go ahead and keep deeply believing in the stupidity.

January 19, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
    • Lycidas

Ooops..I apologize. I was resonding to the comment made by Electric Larry and not Tony.

But..as for Tony, you didn't answer the question.

January 19, 2012 at 8:24 pm |
    • Lycidas

@Ban Religion- "It is impossible to have a productive debate with someone who believes in fairy tales."

~Actually it sounds more like your inability to express your viewpoint in a debate that is the problem. Obviously you have proven nothing false or more ppl would be changing their perspective and agree with you.

January 19, 2012 at 8:27 pm |
    • Ban Religion

In other words, you'd like me to regurgitate countless hours of what's already been posted here time and again to include bible scripture that contradicts itself from the stupidity of the creation myth (there are two versions in the first two chapters of Genesis) to the words of jesus which contradict prophecy from other writings in the bible? And then what? You'd like to tell me I'm misinterpreting them, or reading them out of context or dare I say, cherry picking? Nothing I haven't seen or heard before.

Bye the way, "ppl" isn't a word. If you expect anyone to take you seriously, quit being a lazy 13 year old girl and type out the entire word. And you say others have an "inability to debate."

January 19, 2012 at 9:38 pm |
    • Chad

well said

January 19, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
    • Chad

well said to Lorraine that is..

January 19, 2012 at 10:30 pm |
    • Oouch! That hurts!

Well Lorraine, you just suffered the worst blow possible to your credibility here. When Chad, this blog's biggest imbecile, says he likes your thinking, well, you may as well go stick your favorite Glock in your mouth and find out if there really is a God.

January 19, 2012 at 11:32 pm |
    • Lycidas

@Ban Religion- "In other words, you'd like me to regurgitate.."

I am sure that is about all you could really do.

And plz..this is a comment board. If you are unable to follow internet shorthand, don't get all pis_sy. Now if we were in a formal debate platform that would be different. But we are not, so your pitiful whining doesn't do you well here.

January 20, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
    • Lorraine

Thanks, Chad. I do wonder how a comment from you made another person encourage me to kill myself. Seems a little over the top.

January 20, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • don key dique

who-rrain you r sofa king we todd did.

How about you quit posting in life? You know, since I live here and all and have a different belief about how to live.

January 20, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
    • Ban Religion

Lycidas, I'm not whining about anything. Stop being stupid. People use shorthand because they're too stupid to spell out simple words. If they can't spell out simple words, they can't speak reasonably about any subject and aren't worth the trouble.

I've seen your posts. You don't have a leg to stand on in any form of debate. So shove it.

January 20, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
  13. Lorraine

Is anyone else having difficulty posting comments? Mine have been blocked several times

January 19, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
    • Helpful Hints

Lorraine, There is an automatic word filter here:

Bad letter combinations / words to avoid if you want to get past the CNN automatic filter:
      Many, if not most, are buried within other words, so use your imagination.
      You can use dashes, spaces, or other characters to modify the "offending" letter combinations.
      ---
      ar-se.....as in ar-senic.
      co-ck.....as in co-ckatiel, co-ckatrice, co-ckleshell, co-ckles, etc.
      co-on.....as in rac-oon, coc-oon, etc.
      cu-m......as in doc-ument, accu-mulate, circu-mnavigate, circu-mstances, cu-mbersome, cuc-umber, etc.
      cu-nt.....as in Scu-ntthorpe, a city in the UK famous for having problems with filters...!
      ef-fing...as in ef-fing filter
      ft-w......as in soft-ware, delft-ware, swift-water, drift-wood, etc.
      ho-mo.....as in ho-mo sapiens or ho-mose-xual, ho-mogenous, etc.
      ho-rny....as in tho-rny, etc.
      hu-mp… as in th-ump, th-umper, th-umping
      jacka-ss...yet "ass" is allowed by itself.....
      ja-p......as in j-apanese, ja-pan, j-ape, etc.
      koo-ch....as in koo-chie koo..!
      nip-ple
      o-rgy….as in po-rgy, zo-rgy, etc.
      pi-s......as in pi-stol, lapi-s, pi-ssed, therapi-st, etc.
      p-orn… as in p-ornography
      pr-ick....as in pri-ckling, pri-ckles, etc.
      que-er
      ra-pe.....as in scra-pe, tra-peze, gr-ape, thera-peutic, sara-pe, etc.
      se-x......as in Ess-ex, s-exual, etc.
      sl-ut
      sn-atch
      sp-ic.....as in desp-icable, hosp-ice, consp-icuous, susp-icious, sp-icule, sp-ice, etc.
      sp-oon
      sp-ook… as in sp-ooky, sp-ooked
      strip-per
      ti-t......as in const-itution, att-itude, ent-ities, alt-itude, beat-itude, etc.
      tw-at.....as in wristw-atch, nightw-atchman, etc.
      va-g......as in extrava-gant, va-gina, va-grant, va-gue, sava-ge, etc.
      who-re....as in who're you kidding / don't forget to put in that apostrophe!
      wt-f....also!!!!!!!

January 19, 2012 at 6:18 pm |
    • Lorraine

Thanks, I figured out that it was the t-it in mult-itude.

January 19, 2012 at 6:22 pm |
  14. Fluffy, the gerbil of doom, and a rodent who HATES rap

Matthew 5:17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." See, even a rodent knows this guy has NOT read the bible. Even a rodent knows bad rap, and bad poetry when it hears it.

January 19, 2012 at 6:11 pm |
    • Bippy the Lesser Squirrel God of Jello Shots

Yes, I asked to be transferred out of the Rapped Polka division because rap is truly crap. Jesus would have been a rapper.

January 19, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
    • this guy

Exactly right my friend. Now that Jesus has fulfilled the law, we no longer seek justification through the law but rather through Jesus. I believe that was the point of this video. Because Jesus has fulfilled the law, we no longer need to justify ourselves through religion but rather through a relationship with Jesus Christ.

January 19, 2012 at 6:38 pm |
    • Fluffy, the gerbil of doom, and a rodent who HATES rap

Well actually, this guy,
      if you really knew your history, there were HUGE fights after the death of Jesus, (who, curiously enough NEVER called himself "the Christ"), between the Jerusalem community, (which had many EYE WITNESSES in it), and Paul, (who NEVER met, nor heard Jesus say anything), about what was the meaning of those events. What you have is "Paulianity", as he radically changed the cult of Jesus' followers. Jesus was a good Jew, and until the end, he followed Jewish customs/laws.

January 19, 2012 at 6:46 pm |
  15. Bippy the Lesser Squirrel God of Jello Shots

My "Hate Religion, Love Yodeling" video went twice as viral as this insipid bit of Christian flatulence. We clearly superior rodent deities can easily see the fundamental flaw in the absurd position being put forth. But since you Christians cannot get a clue on your own, we will have to pummel with acorns until you get a dictionary and discover that "religion" is "(1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance."

Clueless humans, your belief in those silly Jesus myths IS, by definition, religion. Dark rains of acorns shall smite your empty heads and make a cool reggae beat for us to dance to.

Were you a rodent, especially that superior race of rodents called squirrels, you would immediately spot such dishonest reasoning for the steaming pile of intellectual feces that it is.

January 19, 2012 at 6:01 pm |
  16. Cosmic Debris

Dumbest thing I have EVER heard. Progress = 0

January 19, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
  17. gupsphoo

It baffles me how many Jesus worshipers refuse to identify themselves as "religious". If you worship a god which you can't even prove to exist, you're by definition "religious".

January 19, 2012 at 5:54 pm |
    • Lycidas

It might have to do with how ppl take that word. You have to admit, "religious" isn't exactly a word with a lot of positive feelings from our culture.

January 19, 2012 at 6:07 pm |
  18. Sheik Yerbouti

Ok, that was irritating to sit through. Doesn't "I believe in the Bible" poke a rather large hole in the entire rant?

January 19, 2012 at 5:44 pm |
    • this guy

Depends if you believe the Bible is true.

January 19, 2012 at 6:38 pm |
    • Sheik Yerbouti

No it doesn't. Bible, religion. Religion, Bible.

January 19, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
  19. Young Christ Follower

Pure and undefiled religion:

January 19, 2012 at 5:44 pm |
  20. Reality

Dear Jefferson B,

For your next video:

The Apostles' Creed 2011: (updated by yours truly and based on the studies of historians and theologians of the past 200 years)

Should I believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
    and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
    human-created, spirit state of bliss called heaven??

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
    preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
    named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
    girl named Mary. (Some say he was a mamzer.)

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
    the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
    a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
    Jerusalem.

Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by
    many semi-fiction writers. A descent into Hell, a bodily resurrection
    and ascension stories were promulgated to compete with the
    Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
    grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
    and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
    called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen

(references used are available upon request)

January 19, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
    • come on man

@Reality, you should send your references to me I would like to evalutate them to see if they have any merit.

January 19, 2012 at 6:40 pm |
    • Reality

As a starting point:

o 1. Historical Jesus Theories, earlychristianwritings.com/theories.htm – the names of many of the contemporary historical Jesus scholars and the ti-tles of their over 100 books on the subject.
      o
      2. Early Christian Writings, earlychristianwritings.com/
      – a list of early Christian doc-uments to include the year of publication–

30-60 CE Passion Narrative
      100-150 Preaching of Peter
      100-160 Gospel of the Ebionites
      100-160 Gospel of the Nazoreans
      100-160 Shepherd of Hermas
      100-160 2 Peter

3. Historical Jesus Studies, faithfutures.org/HJstudies.html,
      – "an extensive and constantly expanding literature on historical research into the person and cultural context of Jesus of Nazareth"
      4. Jesus Database, faithfutures.org/JDB/intro.html–"The JESUS DATABASE is an online annotated inventory of the traditions concerning the life and teachings of Jesus that have survived from the first three centuries of the Common Era. It includes both canonical and extra-canonical materials, and is not limited to the traditions found within the Christian New Testament."
      5. Josephus on Jesus mtio.com/articles/bissar24.htm
      6. The Jesus Seminar, mystae.com/restricted/reflections/messiah/seminar.html#Criteria
      7. Writing the New Testament- mystae.com/restricted/reflections/messiah/testament.html
      8. Health and Healing in the Land of Israel By Joe Zias
      joezias.com/HealthHealingLandIsrael.htm
      9. Economics in First Century Palestine, K.C. Hanson and D. E. Oakman, Palestine in the Time of Jesus, Fortress Press, 1998.

January 19, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
    • .........

reality does not think reality copy pastes repeat bull sh it hit report abuse on all reality posts

January 19, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52
About this blog