home
RSS
January 19th, 2012

'Hate religion, love Jesus' video goes viral

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - With so many atheists coming out of the closet, it’s not difficult to imagine a video decrying religion racking up millions of hits on YouTube.

But a video along those lines has been viewed 15 million times and liked more than a quarter-million times since it was posted on January 10, featuring an enthusiastic young Christian from Washington state.

[youtube= http://youtu.be/1IAhDGYlpqY]

“What if I told you Jesus came to abolish religion?” 22-year-old Jefferson Bethke says in the video, reciting a spoken word poem he wrote. “What if I told you getting you to vote Republican really wasn’t his mission?”

“I mean if religion is so great, why has it started so many wars?” he says later. “Why does it build huge churches but fail to feed the poor?”

Bethke's video is emerging as a symbol for many young evangelical Christians who are calling themselves “followers of Jesus” rather than overtly identifying with institutional Christianity. Many of the country's fastest-growing churches are nondenominational.

“Religion is man-centered,” Bethke writes in a post accompanying his YouTube video. “Jesus is God-centered.”

In the video, Bethke talks about what he calls his own spiritual rebirth, saying he went from being a self-righteous religious person to an admittedly deeply broken believer.

The video has provoked an avalanche of response, including other YouTube videos, like "Why I hate religion but love Jesus, Muslim Version" and "Why I Dislike Your Poem, But Love God," which includes these lines:

I see where you’re coming from but there’s insanity in your vision
You overlook the fact that Christianity is religion
You’re like the van who claims to hate diets
Or astrophysicists who reject laws of science.

That response video has itself been viewed 390,000 times. Not bad.

Many religious bloggers echoed that video’s criticism on Bethke, alleging he’s trumpeting tenets of Christianity while purporting to blast organized religion. Critics called Bethke’s take on religion overly simplistic and dangerous.

“Anyone who does just a little digging on Bethke's YouTube channel or on Google will quickly learn that this young poet is a conservative Christian and member of the Mars Hill Church led by controversial pastor Mark Driscoll,” writes Patheos blogger Brian Kirk, a Missouri-based pastor. “All this seems to me an odd résumé for one who lambastes organized religion.”

Yet Kirk marvels at the national conversation that Bethke has provoked around deep questions:

Certainly one can agree or disagree with Bethke's take on religion but it's difficult not to admire the way he has stirred up those of us who may have been slumbering comfortably in our own faith without really thinking about why we do what we do. Some times the best way to wake up a sleeping giant is to poke it with a stick and Bethke has done just that.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity

soundoff (3,716 Responses)
  1. JMA

Clever, well spoken and performed. However, it's all about sizzle, not steak. It's so like some people to want something, but not want to do the work. He's gone a long way, out of his way, just to avoid getting up and going to church.

January 20, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

Which church should he attend?
      How do you know whether Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, oriental Orthodox, As.syrian, Byzantine, Lutheran, Anglican, Presbyterian, Anabaptism, Brethren, Methodist, Pietism, Apostolic, Pentocostal, Charismatic, African Initiated, United, Quakers, Couthcotti.tism, Millerism, British-Isrealism, Latter Day Saints, Mennonite, 7th day Adventism, Kelleyism, Co.oneyism, Shakers, Methernitha, Strigolniki, Yehowism, Christadelphians, Christian Science, doukhobors, Iglesia ni Cristo, Makuya, Molokans, Subbotniks, Ebionism, Martinism, Rosicrucians, Rastafarianism, Santo Daime, or Umbanda is the REAL interpretation of your God's words?

Many of them would like to kill each other over doctrinal differences.
      According to many, the penalty for choosing the wrong denomination is eternal torment, and yet we're expected to know The True Church based on faith alone – meaning a total absence of proof.

January 20, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
    • Ironicus

Sitting in a church doesn't make you a Christian any more than sitting in a garage makes you a car.
      Going to church only reinforces your slave mentality and wastes your time. There are no gods.

January 20, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
    • JMA

just more noise from people not wanting to do the work, but wanting the reward. In the time it took you to google all the relisions, you could have actually done something affirmative or said a prayer. There are many paths, just choose one, use your brain to discern what's sensible and what's not.

January 20, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@JMA
      "use your brain to discern what's sensible and what's not."
      That is precisely what most atheists have done.
      Any school of thought that relies on appeals to the supernatural is not sensible.

January 20, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
    • Ed

its more of a concern to me that he like far to many religious seems to feel that becasue he claims belief he can do what ever he likes he is still saved. I think behavior is just as important as words. Yes we all fail but using that as an excuse to no try to behave well is at best a poor excuse. I do beleive we can be saved but we must try to behave well and have actual remorse when we fail and try in ernest to succeed next time. Words are not enough.

January 20, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
  2. Ed

What is interesting to me, is that what he is calling releigion is actually the church and what he is calling the church is actually religion

January 20, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
    • Ironicus

Hmmm. I think you are correct even though it doesn't matter much. Crazy people are crazy.

January 20, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
  3. Richard Cheese

Gilgoff, you suck as a journalist. You can't even do the most basic thing and that is to present a story with impartiality. Go sell your crazy ideas somewhere else.

January 20, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
    • Ironicus

We love Dan Gilgoff for the endearing way he drools onto his keyboard and makes clumsy articles,....hater!!

January 20, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
    • Johnny Orlando

Where does he say he is in favor of this? This is a religion section,he obviously is religious. Ignorant atheists don't believe in anything so they have their own section called HTTP 404

January 20, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
    • midwstrngrl

I believe in plenty...plenty of positive, great things...just not you

January 20, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
  4. anonymous

lets just cancel all religion until we contact an elder extra terrestrial civilization that may have more input, everybody truce til then

January 20, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
  5. bnb42

They say Jerusalem is proof Jesus walk on earth. I say the Empire state building is proof King Kong scaled it.

January 20, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
    • Ironicus

It's too bad they left out King Kong having to go to the bathroom in the movies. Or maybe that's why he was angry. Hmm.

January 20, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
    • Johnny Orlando

Are you trying to imply that Jesus didn't exist and that an entire religion was created around a person who the original followers never saw? That the people who lived in Jerusalem at the time just said OK to following the teachings of a man, whom they would have known of, and just went with it...wow...

January 20, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
    • WWJD

@Johnny Orlando. Jesus may have existed but that doesn't make him the son of the Abrahimic religions' God. It may be a surprise to you but most people can be convinced by the words and wisdom of humans.

January 20, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
  6. kevin j. omlor

And what war (other than the Crusades) has religion caused. Was it WWI, WWII, Vietnam, or The Civil War? Should I go on? I think you should check your facts before you buy into some lame empty sayings. Personally, I think you're full of yourself.

January 20, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
    • JT

Well...the recent Iraq war started by deluded born again end of times evangelicals Bush and Blair. There's been more blood and human misery caused by these delusions than any other root cause in history.

January 20, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
    • WWJD

Often these get billed as civil rights or territorial but the underlying issue is religious differences – Northern Ireland, former Yugoslavia, India/Pakistan, Chechnia, too many African nations

January 20, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
    • lolwut

The terrorist attacks in Norway were performed by a Christian fundamentalist.

January 20, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
    • midwstrngrl

both religious or political ideology are dangerous

January 20, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
    • Richard

Check some facts yourself before railing against a claim and telling someone they don't know what they're talking about. Look at Europe from the 1200s through the 1600s. The french Wars of Religion during the 1500s. Catholics vs Protestants, Catholics vs Cathars, Knights of X Y and Z. Ireland vs Ireland. The persecution of Jews throughout history (and yes, please take note: WW2!!!) The annihilation of the Meso-American people by the Spaniards (OK that was for their supposed cache of treasure, but largely carried out by "missionaries and priests who would openly massacre whole villages unless they converted to Christianity). India around the 12th-13th centuries during the Muslim invasions. India vs Pakistan. Palestine and Israel. Egypt and Israel. Please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_wars

January 20, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
    • AXJ

The Spanish Reconquista (1085-1492), The French Wars of Religion (1562-1598, ~4 million dead), The 30 Years War (1618-1648, ~8 million plus dead), just for starters, and many more between then and now. If you need a recent example, consider the Bosnian War (1992-1995) which was essentially about the Christians 'cleansing' the area of its muslim minorities.

January 20, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
    • Richard

Thanks AJX!

January 20, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
  7. Martin

Wow

January 20, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
    • Ironicus

meh

January 20, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
  8. Lucifer's Evil Twin

I'm an angry and bitter person. It's quite obvious in my posts. I don't believe in God because then I would be accountable for my actions and I want to be able to do what I want when I want. Some call me selfish but I don't really care because I'll do whatever I want. I don't understand how some people can be truly happy and believe in this God while I'm miserable on the inside, that makes me really angry and I lash out at those people calling them liars, stupid, etc.

This is who I am.

Sincerely,
    typical angry atheist.

January 20, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
    • kevin j. omlor

Don't worry about it tooo much. I'm an angry Christian. We have feelings toooo. Imagine that !!

January 20, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
    • lolwut

*typical christian view of atheists*

January 20, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
    • WWJD

How you spoken to your therapist about this? Sounds like you have issues. Just because a person does not believe in gods does not make them the things your imagination leads you to spout.

January 20, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
    • lastchild

wrong. not being 'afeared of being punished by a SuperBeing, dont mean we do whatever we please...we are accountable...to ourselves, those around us and the laws.

January 20, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
    • midwstrngrl

wrong. so wrong. examine my life and yours and I guarantee I would come out higher on your "righteousness scale". I do consider myself accountable to humanity..to everything we could be as humans. I just takes a bit a reason to know what is right. We have already figured in out for the most part – you will find it the basic principles written in most of mankind's thoughts. The extra crap is called control. learn the difference.

January 20, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
    • Lucifer's Christian Twin

I'm an angry and bitter Christian. It's quite obvious in my posts. I only believe in a God because I don’t want to take the chance hell really exists. I am not really accountable for my actions, I am divorced, fat and lazy sitting behind my computer all day. Some call me selfish but I don't really care because I'll do whatever I want. I don't understand how some people can be truly happy and believe in this God while I'm miserable on the inside, that makes me really angry and I lash out at atheists calling them liars, stupid, etc.

January 20, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
    • Ironicus

Somehow I think that's not the real "Lucifer's Evil Twin" but an angry Christian who is pretending to be him. A fake, like the Christian "god" and can't think of any way to argue beyond ad hominems. Sad.

January 20, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
    • Chikkipop

I'm a reasonably content person. I don't believe there are gods, because there is no evidence, and because there is abundant evidence that gods are human constructs.

But as is the case with most rational folks who doubt the existence of magical beings, I contend that morality is part of the well-established process of evolution, and that the need to cooperate is a self-evident condition of our existence. We are accountable to one another, and when we fail in our obligations it is we who are at fault; when we succeed, it is by our own actions, since we are not watched over by beings from some unseen higher place.

I realize there are great numbers of people who will resort to all manner of false characterizations, willfully ignorant of anything which threatens the stories they cling to, and demonstrating the depths to which they will stoop, even as they claim their irrational beliefs are the foundation of morality.

And this, of course, justifies anger. Indeed, as the saying goes, if you aren't angry you aren't paying attention. However, this anger is only a part of who I am; anger at false teachings is a greater positive than unthinking credulity.

This is who I am.

January 20, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
  9. Martin

Very interesting......

January 20, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
  10. Mobes

Actually, some people have thought this way (Christians who are anti-religion) for a long time. Read Mr. Blue, by Myles Connolly, published in 1928.

January 20, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
  11. Fred

Yeah, I knew this topic would attract a bunch of atheists.
    Even Darwin converted on his deathbed. How's it feel to
    know that your HERO got scared at the end and repented?
    You guys will try it, too, I'm sure.

January 20, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
    • kyle

Darwin did not convert on his deathbed, isn't lying a mortal sin? Darwin was religious his entire life.

January 20, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • WWJD

Darwin was a believer. He disproved that the creation myth in the bible is not true.

January 20, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
    • Jason

No. He didn't. Not surprisingly for a christian, you got your facts wrong.

January 20, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
    • bnb42

@wwjd

Who wants Jelly donuts???

January 20, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
    • lastchild

Ah, so the faith is based on fear. Got it.

Death bed conversions – which did not happen for Darwin – don't prove the God.

January 20, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
    • Dangle66

From Darwin's son: "Lady Hope's account of my father's views on religion is quite untrue. I have publicly accused her of falsehood, but have not seen any reply."
      From Darwin's daughter: "I was present at his deathbed. Lady Hope was not present during his last illness, or any illness. I believe he never even saw her, but in any case she had no influence over him in any department of thought or belief. He never recanted any of his scientific views, either then or earlier. We think the story of his conversion was fabricated in the U.S.A. The whole story has no foundation whatever."

January 20, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
    • oujgkhjghkjg

Darwin was not converted. That was a desperate rumor started by opponents of Darwin.

January 20, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
    • JRA

What does it say about your faith that you revel in the prospect of people accepting your beliefs when they are at their most desperate and least rational? I do not think that it is in your best interest to say " You see! when people are demented and fearful and less able to use the faculty of reason, they choose my side of the argument". Wouldn't it be better if people reviewed the facts and then decided to agree with you? It would be better but that simply can't happen because faith begins where reason ends

Also, darwin didn't convert and even if he did that would have zero effect on the truth of his findings. Even if evolution is ultimately proven wrong (almost impossible), it would not make your god any more real.

January 20, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
    • Mobes

I don't believe it was a death-bed conversion. Darwin was a seminary graduate who was heading for a career in the ministry when he decided to take the cruise from which grew "On The Origin of Species." I can never understand why people MUST separate evolution from creation. Evolution is one of the main processes of creation.

January 20, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
    • JT

Ah...another lier for Jesus. Next thing you'll be trying to pass off the old lie that the founding fathers of the US were Christian.

January 20, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
    • FALSE

That is a complete lie. Darwin was very religious throughout his life. He went to a religious boarding school and even studied to become a clergy person for the Church of England before he started questioning the historical and chronological accuracy of the bible. He believed in God all of his life. To quote him, "I have never been an atheist in the sense of denying the existence of a God. – I think that generally ... an agnostic would be the most correct description of my state of mind."

January 20, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
    • SSell

An oft repeated fallacy of Christians.

There is no evidence that Darwin ever renounced evolution. And the story that this 'urban legend' is based on has repeatedly been proven false.

At best Darwin speculated on what would become of his ideas. Had he actually renouced his belief in evolution his dear wife would have rejoiced at the news as she was deeply concerned about the godless nature of his views.

January 20, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
    • Spizz

Another sheep I see that believes everything they are told. There are multiple accounts from people who were at Darwin's bedside and Lady Hope never even saw/talked to Darwin. Was I there in person myself? No. Yet I'm not believing in a story created by a single person, at least the counter to your statement has multiple witness accounts to discredit you.

January 20, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
    • BQ

It wouldn't make any difference even if it were true, which it is not. Darwin did not have a deathbed conversion, that is a myth. However, it brings up several points, the first of which is: Darwin is not some kind of atheist hero. He's just a scientist who made a discovery. Evolution does not equal atheism, they are two separate issues and it's a false dichotomy to believe otherwise. Second: Fear of death or the unknown is an incredibly intellectually void reason to believe in something, and being scared and professing belief doesn't in any way make it true. That's really weak.

January 20, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
    • Shawn

You know that's a fake story invented by an evangelical liar, right?

January 20, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
    • Gary

Darwin was never an Atheist. He first studied to be an Anglican Priest, then became a Deist and finally an Agnostic. Contrary to common Christian belief, he did not repent nor did he become a Christian on his death bed. It would benefit both Atheists and Christians to know the facts before they started shooting their mouths off.

January 20, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

@Mobes: Evolution and creation are two separate things! Evolution states very clearly that we come from a common ancestral primate...creationism states that we came from Adam and Eve...do you see the fallacy of what you said and how uneducated it made you look? Evolution makes sense...creationism would mean that incest is supported by the buybull, whereas the laws we live by (the only ones that matter in a court of law) state that incest is a crime.

January 20, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

"Charles came from a family of people who, while Christians, were not very orthodox (and certainly not 'devout'). His grandfather Erasmus was probably an atheist, albeit not openly.
      Darwin himself did study theology to become a country preacher, but not out of any high calling, but out of convenience. When they asked him to go on the Beagle, he went like a shot.
      He never did become an atheist, at least not openly, but he certainly did not believe in a loving God anymore – he had observed the cruelty of nature all his life, and the perhaps final blow was the death of his beloved daughter.
      The story that Darwin recanted on his deathbed is not true. His wife, who was most definitely a Christian, would have told the world about it, and she did no such thing.

But Darwin was generally a very private man, and he was not known to make broad, sweeping statements about religion."

NOTE: This simply proves that he kept his beliefs to himself. It does not prove that he was a theist or an Atheist for that matter.

January 20, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
    • BoldGeorge

We will never know if this is at all accurate, but one thing that is certain is that Darwin doubted his own theories, even stating that the intricacy and complex funtion of the human eye is enough to crush his evolutionary theory. For those who don't believe it, read it in his own book. In fact, some historians (non-religious) believe Darwin was trying to find a way, or formulate a way to avoid being accountable to God or a God. He sure did pave the way for many to "free" themselves of this accountability, despite his made up theories and conclusions concerning life and origins.

January 20, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
  12. lastchild

You cant separate belief in Jesus, etc from the RELIGION/s of Xtianity. Cant be done. Using the Vids metaphors...if a church is a hospital, than those who adhere to a Organized religious POV are the Doctors...who learned their craft at the desk of the Organizers...and their followers...

This whole notion of ONLY a Personal Relationship with Jesus is specious and founded in modernity where Xtians are seeking, desperately, to distance themselves from the Xtian Legacy of atrocity.

If its truly PERSONAL than keep it personal.

January 20, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
    • Anon

It's frankly impossible for the Christians to keep it personal.

January 20, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
    • Bruce

Butbutbutbut... I'm SPECIAL. I'm an army of one–a Church of one!

Solipsism is solipsistic.

Of course most people don't understand the whole collective nature of salvation, of what it means to die to self and rise into the Body of Christ (aka the Church), because they haven't taken a break from being so full of themselves and flattering of the apparent accuracy of their personal beliefs long enough to engage in the smallest start of a study of theology...

January 20, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
    • Richard

[Christ]ianity does kinda contain Christ, huh? At least as a root word. But the vast majority of Christians and Christian religion itself excised Jesus long ago in favor of internal doctrines, political and philosophical territorialism, and divisions into the various denominations and sects. Islam has done it, Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, etc. "Christ-centered" is an oxymoron in most cases because the teachings of Jesus are so often used as a platform to exclude rather than include, as a vehicle for hatred rather than love.

Instead of demanding that we all restore our faith in God, maybe call each other out to restore God's faith in his followers!

January 20, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
  13. Douglas

I beleive in god and beleive that you don't have to go to church to be a religous person, because when you go to Church
    tha Pastor is living large driving big cars and even have body guards. And he make sure you give hime the tides, you have
    people that go to church and about to get their lights turn off or loose their house, maybe because of getting laid off of
    their job do the Pastor help them out no he'll just say I'll Pray for you.

January 20, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
    • Matt

I'm curious...do you have any actual examples of this happening or are you generalizing on another false stereotype? I personally know many pastors of mega-churches. None of them drive fancy cars (unless you consider a Ford Explorer fancy), and none of them have body guards. The major Christian figures in society (Jamed Dobson, Francis Chan, Mark Driscoll) might have body guards, but only because they receive multiple threats to their lives. You can also ask any church for their financials as they are a non-profit and receive a detailed layout of where each and every dollar goes. Please next time do some actual research instead of blasting people about things you don't fully understand!

January 20, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
  14. Pete

Is this going to be another thread where a bunch of crybaby atheists come in whine about how mean old religion is keeping them down.

Cry me a river!

There are a lot of atheists out there that need to grow some or get medicated.

January 20, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
    • lastchild

is this another deflection from a believer...wishing for everyone to ignore the reality of Xtiannities legacy...

Like a Holocaust denier...Xtians seek to ignore the reality of their religions murderous ways...never happened, those were not TRUE Xtians...but I am...

As for me, Xtianity has never kept me down, its too weak a belief system to do that...but IT sure has done it to many others...and is still trying to..

January 20, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • Sybaris

Is this going to be another thread where a bunch of crybaby religious people come in whine about how mean old atheists are keeping them down.

Cry me a river!

There are a lot of believers out there that need to grow some or get medicated.

January 20, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
    • Tex71

You are correct! But don't forget that there are also many, many crackpot hare-brained religious people out there that desperately need medication, too. If only 10% of the population is atheist, then it's a good bet 10% of people who need to be medicated are atheists too.

January 20, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
  15. Anomic Office Drone

It's good to see this kind of thinking gain traction. Religion and churches are all about money, power and control.

January 20, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
  16. kyle

The problem is religion is based on the bible which is not reliable. Mixed messages that are incompatible so people simply pick and choose what they want to follow. Here is an example.

Matt 19:17
    And he said to him, “Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments.”

Guess what those commandments are? Everything in the old testament! Deut 13:18 " because you obey the LORD your God by keeping all his commands that I am giving you today and doing what is right in his eyes."

Better clean out your pantry and get your stoning rocks ready.

January 20, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
    • Johnny Orlando

No where in the 10 commandments does it say anything about stoning a person. It does not mention punishment, just things to abide by, but it was a nice try. At least you read some of the Bible

January 20, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • kyle

Those are not the only commandments idlot, I GAVE you the bible quote and isn't the bible 100% correct?

January 20, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
    • not a surface skimmer

You're basing your argument on the Mosaic Law given to the Israelites? Did you know that surrounding nations at the time also considered it acceptable to sacrifice children in fire to their gods? The Israelites stood apart for their high moral standards.
      The Bible does harmonize when you consider it in it's entirety. If you are genuinely interested in what it teaches (and if not, please stop talking about it like you know it) please consider Matthew 22:35-40 where Jesus clearly states the purpose of this law and how it helped humankind understand God's view and expectations. No guesswork. Romans 7:6,7 and 1 Corinthians 3:7-11teaches that Christians were to consider the Mosaic Law as "passed away". It had served it's purpose. Worship to God, as established by the Christ in the 1st century, was now to be based on love for God and neighbor. No laws except those, all others became principles guided by love.
      Many religions have not followed this, but what the Bible teaches does not faulter.

January 20, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
  17. mac jones

It's always nice to see a glassy eyed lunatic.

January 20, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
  18. Jim

I love this! I am tired of "religion", in whatever way you frame it, constantly trying to take control. One of the concepts that made the United States a great nation is the separation of church and state. When I see religion pushing its way into politics, it makes me cringe.

January 20, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
  19. jdigilio

What bothers me is that this kid is a member of Mars Hill. Go to their site and see for yourselves what they preach. Not only does he hate religion, but he apparently hates atheists, Buddhists, Hindus, and gays. The stuff they post is disturbing.

January 20, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
    • Anon

Blind submission and willful ignorance are virtues among the Christians.

January 20, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
    • Johnny Orlando

I guess you have it all figured out. There is no way that there were ever Christian scientist like Gregor Mendel...always have be be ignorant don't we Christians....GTFO

January 20, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
    • Test

@Anon

Faith is a virtue of many dreamers, entrepreneurs, artists, theists, and atheists. to connotate that faith is by nature a negative virtue, than you have abandoned what makes you human.

January 20, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
    • lolwut

January 20, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
    • Test

@lolwut

"Faith is continuing to believe in something when there is evidence contrary to it. That's it."

False

faith   [feyth] Show IPA
      noun
      confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.
      belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.
      belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion: the firm faith of the Pilgrims.
      belief in anything, as a code of ethics, standards of merit, etc.: to be of the same faith with someone concerning honesty.
      a system of religious belief: the Christian faith; the Jewish faith.

January 20, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
    • Matt

"Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things" Hebrews 11:1

January 20, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
    • Ironicus

Test, you didn't refute a single thing. Time to go to school.

January 20, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • Anon

Shove a bible up your @$$.

January 20, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
    • Anon

That was for Test the christian/agnostic/whatever

January 20, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

Faith is the willful suspension of critical thinking.
      Choosing ignorance is not a virtue.
      The great trouble with religion – any religion – is that a religionist, having accepted certain propositions by faith, cannot thereafter judge those propositions by evidence. One may bask at the warm fire of faith or choose to live in the bleak certainty of reason- but one cannot have both.

January 20, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
    • Test

@ironicus

the claim that "when there is evidence contrary to it"

Stating that Faith requires believing in something with evidence contrary to it does not coincide with the definition of Faith.

Why the childish slams? you know nothing about me. Your quick uninformed stab is a confession of childish angst.

January 20, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
    • Test

@Anon

"Shove a bible up your @$$."

your childish angst only makes you look uneducated.

January 20, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
    • Ironicus

Test, you still failed to refute a single thing. Call me names all you want. You don't understand logic at all. Time to go to school.

January 20, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
    • Test

@ironicus

what are you even talking about, if its the definition of faith then i believe i have been very clear that faith does not require evidence against it.

im not trying to name call, but you had to tell me to go back to school first. you are the one trying to spur that on.

i dont understand logic at all? well please elaborate for me. because your not being clear about anything.

January 20, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
    • Ironicus

Sorry, I don't waste my time with idiots very often. It just doesn't do any good to explain your ignorance and how you are incorrect in your conclusions. You will remain ignorant in the face of facts, logic, and clear explanations. That is how your "faith" makes you stupid. It's not my job to educate you. You should go to school and take classes. Why seek education from random people on the internet? You really suck at this.

January 20, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
    • Test

@ironicus

If that floats your boat, good riddance to you. For the record, you contributed nothing to the conversation about faith other than to blast me as some "ignorant person".

January 20, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • Anon

Still ram a bible up your @$$.

January 21, 2012 at 8:12 pm |
    • Test

@Anon

Is that supposed to make me mad or something. Simply validates my presumption that your a child.

January 23, 2012 at 11:23 am |
  20. NoEfingWay

There's nothing new here. He's saying my religion good, your religion bad. He's just not labeling his beliefs as religion.

January 20, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52
About this blog