home
RSS
January 19th, 2012

'Hate religion, love Jesus' video goes viral

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - With so many atheists coming out of the closet, it’s not difficult to imagine a video decrying religion racking up millions of hits on YouTube.

But a video along those lines has been viewed 15 million times and liked more than a quarter-million times since it was posted on January 10, featuring an enthusiastic young Christian from Washington state.

[youtube= http://youtu.be/1IAhDGYlpqY]

“What if I told you Jesus came to abolish religion?” 22-year-old Jefferson Bethke says in the video, reciting a spoken word poem he wrote. “What if I told you getting you to vote Republican really wasn’t his mission?”

“I mean if religion is so great, why has it started so many wars?” he says later. “Why does it build huge churches but fail to feed the poor?”

Bethke's video is emerging as a symbol for many young evangelical Christians who are calling themselves “followers of Jesus” rather than overtly identifying with institutional Christianity. Many of the country's fastest-growing churches are nondenominational.

“Religion is man-centered,” Bethke writes in a post accompanying his YouTube video. “Jesus is God-centered.”

In the video, Bethke talks about what he calls his own spiritual rebirth, saying he went from being a self-righteous religious person to an admittedly deeply broken believer.

The video has provoked an avalanche of response, including other YouTube videos, like "Why I hate religion but love Jesus, Muslim Version" and "Why I Dislike Your Poem, But Love God," which includes these lines:

I see where you’re coming from but there’s insanity in your vision
You overlook the fact that Christianity is religion
You’re like the van who claims to hate diets
Or astrophysicists who reject laws of science.

That response video has itself been viewed 390,000 times. Not bad.

Many religious bloggers echoed that video’s criticism on Bethke, alleging he’s trumpeting tenets of Christianity while purporting to blast organized religion. Critics called Bethke’s take on religion overly simplistic and dangerous.

“Anyone who does just a little digging on Bethke's YouTube channel or on Google will quickly learn that this young poet is a conservative Christian and member of the Mars Hill Church led by controversial pastor Mark Driscoll,” writes Patheos blogger Brian Kirk, a Missouri-based pastor. “All this seems to me an odd résumé for one who lambastes organized religion.”

Yet Kirk marvels at the national conversation that Bethke has provoked around deep questions:

Certainly one can agree or disagree with Bethke's take on religion but it's difficult not to admire the way he has stirred up those of us who may have been slumbering comfortably in our own faith without really thinking about why we do what we do. Some times the best way to wake up a sleeping giant is to poke it with a stick and Bethke has done just that.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity

soundoff (3,716 Responses)
  1. Judas

Sorry to spoil it for everyone. God doesn't exist. And if Jesus did exist, he was just some crazy loon who was executed for crimes against the Roman empire and became a martyr. Probably a similar story that extremists are telling about Osama bin Laden. (Jesus + 2,000 years = Osama bin Laden)

January 20, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
    • Russ

@ Judas: I'm assuming this is a purposeful name choice on your part...

Osama Bin Laden: get others to die for my world-destroying agenda.
      Jesus: dies to save others from their own self-destructive agendas.

January 20, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
    • Judas

@Russ But don't you know, Osama died for our sins.

January 20, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
  2. Chris

This crap is stupid, get money.

January 20, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
  3. clc

@ Last Call
    diddo –
    Jonh 3:16 that's the bottom line.

January 20, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
  4. cookie

Amen Brother.

January 20, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
  5. Pete

Give him credit though. That poem was well written and performed. Nice production value there too.

This is not a movement, this is a kid with talent and a nice poem that got a bunch of hits. I mean, right wrong or indifferent, selling the idea that any set of rules is wrong to a bunch of young people is like shooting fish in a barrel. Write a nice poem and put a young kid out there to perform it telling you that the government takes too much control, that organized religion is bad, or that your parents don't understand you and you'll get some hits.

January 20, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
    • cookie

A kid that sees the truth

January 20, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
  6. vtskivt

There are no athiests in a fox hole or on a death bed.

January 20, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
    • Ironicus

Liar.

January 20, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
    • Pete

Totally wrong. My Grandfather went to WW2 studying to be a catholic priest and came out an ardent athiest. And he spent a lot of time in foxholes after lolsing his faith and never got it back.

He used to love it when folks said that to him. "I've been in a foxhole, and the last thing your thinking about is God!"

Besides, if fear of death is you selling point on religion.... you really need a better pitch.

January 20, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

Liar. Been in that foxhole, what about you?

January 20, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
    • Brian Holbrook

Having spent time in both, I can categorically reject your assertion. That old saw illustrates only that your religion is based on fear, and the "love" Christians profess to feel for their Multiple Personality Disorder-suffering deity is nothing more than an attempt to win over a wrathful god who they fear will punish them horribly for eternity –even though he purports to love them. I have no need of your god and his heaven; not in a foxhole, not on my deathbed, not sitting here on my couch, reading the ludicrous comments of the delusional.

January 20, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
    • yeahalright

Yes because being under imminent threat of death is so conducive to sound thinking.

January 20, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
    • El Duderino (if you're not into the whole brevity thing)

Perhaps, but they probably don't pledge their sole to a specific religion. In such times many would plead to God in an abstract deistic sense.

January 20, 2012 at 2:55 pm |
  7. The Chauncellor

I think this is refreshing. He mentions that organized religion (church) is for the broken. Where in Jesus's teachings did he say that we must build huge edifices to perform worship to one god. To be brief, he taught what most of us would refer to as the Golden Rule. One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself. Yes it is more complicated than, but for this comment lets keep it simple. Organized religion takes advantage of the fact that people believe that donating money to an organization that teaches Jesus's words will help them achieve a place a heaven. If going to church helps you satisfy a need within yourself, then I could not be more happy for you. However, there are plenty of people that go to church because they feel forced, their parents make them, only on christmas, etc. Go through the motions if they help you, not if you feel forced to. Personally, I choose to practice by my actions daily. I feel no need to enter an organization that promises to "help" me. I think I can do that myself for now.

January 20, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
  8. winogradsky1

god has a plan. his plan gives children cancer. giving cancer to children is not love. god is not love

January 20, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
    • Russ

@ winogradsky1: He went to the cross to fix what was broken in us – what we had broken in ourselves – permanently. That's a God who provides – especially when your child is dying of cancer (Rom.8:32).

January 20, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
    • Rheinlander

You speak like a child

January 20, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
    • Joe T.

So God killed himself to cover a stupid rule that was only around because he invented it?

January 20, 2012 at 2:22 pm |
    • Russ

@ Joe T.: no, Jesus died to save us from what we did to ourselves. it's not in service to a random rule. it's an intervention to save an addict. the rule is not the problem. the addiction is.

January 20, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
    • Prior

"And the people shall deliver the wicked into your divine judgment, where their sins shall be weighed in the balance of all that is just and true."

"Hallowed are we; hallowed are the Ori."

January 20, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
    • King Removing Kings

You post is very ignorant, cancer is the cause of SIN. Whether you like it or yes sin is real and the effect of sin is sickness. God never sends sickness on kids but SIN has brought it on us. Your definition of Love as a human being is skewed and you only understand it from an earthly point of view. But when you view love the way God see's love it does not eliminate pain. Because in his love he GAVE up his only SON to suffer for my SINS your sins and all the people of the earth’s SINS. So that whoever believe in him will not perish. If that is not love to love those who hate HIM (people like you making ignorant comments) then I don’t know what Love is. For Jesus said Love your enemies and pray for those who despitefully use you. I want to ask you a question can you love your enemies?? Well I want you to know that God loves you even though you don’t love HIM.

January 20, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
    • lamb

Cancer is NOT Gods plan. The bible says in Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. It also says that satan is John 10:10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I (Jesus) have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. God the creator of the universe created humankind on earth with a perfect design, and with free will, and when humans decided to try and rule the earth from the beginning opened up the earth to be ruled over by satan. God then provided us with the choice to have eternal life by sacrificing his son Jesus to save us from that darkness. God is the only one who has been healing people of cancer ever since. Even raising people from the dead. Read about it in Acts Chapter 2. It is written and authoritatively proven to be true. I have even personally seen many miraculous healings to support it. Just sayin.

January 20, 2012 at 2:28 pm |
    • Rbnlegnd101

What Joe is saying is that it seems odd that an all powerful god had to engage in blood sorcery in order to accomplish his desired goal. An all powerful god could erase the sin in man, or forgive that sin, without having to perform an elaborate blood ritual. The story of the crucifixion reduces an all powerful god to simply a powerful wizard with nice intentions. For me, that was too difficult to reconcile when I was shown a picture that showed a cross spanning a chasm, allowing man to cross from sin to salvation. An all powerful god wouldn't need a blood soaked cross to bridge a chasm. The more elaborate the metaphor, the more the suffering of christ is glorified, the more skeptical I become. More evidence of God's sorcerous power doesn't help, god isn't a sorcerer.

January 20, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
    • Russ

@ Rbnlegnd101: you're assuming this is simply about power – that raw power should be able to fix this more readily. What if God's whole point is to demonstrate his character? his love?

The cross is not blood sorcery. It is God definitively saying 'no!' to evil while simultaneously saying 'yes!' to those who have wrought evil – without compromising his character. It's the only way to hold justice & mercy together without compromising one or the other. This isn't a magic trick that could've been done another way. This is God showing us who he is by how he saves us.

January 20, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
    • yeahalright

Bottom line: your god could stop children from suffering, the world over, with a wave of a metaphysical finger. He doesn't. So even if he was real I don't want anything to do with him.

January 20, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
    • Russ

@ yeahalright: so you'll only serve a god who does what you want, the way you want it? isn't that just a self-projection?

can anyone in your life tell you things you don't want to hear but need to hear?

January 20, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
    • Rbnlegnd101

" It's the only way to hold justice & mercy together without compromising one or the other. This isn't a magic trick that could've been done another way. "

When you (and so many others) tell me that in order to accomplish this end, god had to do this, that this was "the only way", you are imposing a limit on god, you are telling me that the suffering and death, the blood sacrifice was required. I am not an athiest, but also, because I can not see god as limited in this way, I am not a christian. There are many tales of magic, many shamen, warlocks, many stories and legends that try to explain magic as having rules and limits, and in many of those stories, the most potent of magics involve human suffering and blood, culminating in death. The most powerful magic of all is fueled by the death of a pure innocent human being, for example, sacrificing a virgin to a dragon. It's great that the story of the crucifixion inspires faith in you, but in others it has the opposite effect.

January 20, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
    • Russ

@ Rbnlegnd101: you are right that it comes down to one's view of the cross. but it sounds like you have excluded the possibility that this is how God chose to reveal himself – purposefully.

what if God limits himself? (He'd have to be the one self-limiting or something is greater than him, e.g. another god.) "I am this, but not that." And he is faithful to his character. Unchanging – even in dying to save to show us both his justice & mercy.

If so, it's not a matter of "I cannot see God limiting himself in this way." It's a question of what he has revealed about himself.

January 20, 2012 at 3:05 pm |
  9. jalo

The church brings people of faith together to learn about Jesus's teachings, to support one another in times of pain, to teach our children about Jesus and ultimately, the kind of person we aspire to be. The guy who created this video is wrong about the church not feeding the hungry, they have sent millions to help the poor. The church is a weekly reminder for us to do good in the world and can be a positive force. My guess is that this guy hasn't had much experience with church and really hasn't studied the Bible as many of his comments are completely inaccurate.

Yes, there are those spiritual leaders that will let us down, they're not infallible from sin and we need to choose our leaders very carefully as we do our presidents. However, using Jesus's forgiveness as a cop out for your bad behavior is just lazy and not what Jesus intended for us. if we all aspire to live by Jesus's example, what an amazing world this place would be.

January 20, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
    • Lacking Evidence since 14 Billion BCE

And to hand over wads of cash to pay for the preacher's Lexus. PRAISE JEEBUS!!! Send me one thousand dollars and you too can praise JEEBUS, and keep me on TV to tell you to PRAISE JEEBUS.

No Thanks, I can think of better things to spend my money on and Sundays doing.

January 20, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
    • helicohunter

In your dreams! Churches are very good about helping THEIR OWN MEMBERS and are also good at proselytizing to the poor. Not that there aren't some meaningful efforts to help the poor, but the number of people helped is small. The Red Cross and other organizations do a MUCH better job. More often than not, churches give members a superiority complex. Since they go to church and pray, they must be good people. Others who go to other churches or don't go to church are not as good or deserving. Personally, I think that if you need to be REMINDED once a week to be a good person, there is something wrong with your moral character. Also, there is a lot more to being a good person than what is written in the Bible. Churches may be good for the individual members, but they are often bad for society.

January 20, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
    • lamb

But see, that is the distinction Bethke is trying to make, there is a difference between attending a weekly church service, and actually living a LIFESTYLE of Christianity. Sure one could go to Church and have a great support network of believers, but the moment the service is over, many "Christians" go prancing around, wearing crosses on their necks and claim to be what they are not.

As for the pastor who goes around driving his Lexus, I agree that this is abusive and over abundant, especially if purchased with a Church salary. Another perspective one could take is that maybe this pastor impacted someone who was wealthy, and he was given the gift of the car. Of course if this happened, I would probably sell the car and donate the money because I would never want anyone to percieve me as "that guy". THE REAL QUESTION IS, am I going to let that determine my spirituality. ABSOLUTELY NOT!, and it has obviously impacted you and many others negatively to the point where you don't want anything to do with the creator God who will love you uncoditionally. And guess what there are just as many Churches you could step foot into where the pastor will not do this, as there are pastors who will. Bummer you see it your way. What if you are missing out on the greatest opportunity of your life?

January 20, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
  10. Joe T.

Could God make pizza rolls so hot that even HE couldn't eat them?

January 20, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
    • Lacking Evidence since 14 Billion BCE

I thought it was a burrito.

January 20, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
    • Russ

He held the nails together that pierced him (Col.1:17).

January 20, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
    • Ironicus

Egg rolls. Definitely egg rolls.

January 20, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
    • Joe T.

I like pizza rolls more and I figured God might like them more too after a night of heavy drinking.

January 20, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
    • Ironicus

If I had pizza rolls I might agree with you. I haven't tried pizza rolls since they first came out. Greasy things.
      Are they better these days?

January 20, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
    • Joe T.

Nah, they haven't really changed. Guess it depends on what kind you get. I made my own once. Got some pizza dough and cut it into little pieces, put some cheese, sauce and diced up pepperoni on it, folded em over and shoved em in the oven. However, I like the frozen ones too, especially after a night of heavy drinking.

January 20, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
    • Pizza roll or the Eucharist of the Christ child

Weren't pizza rolls gods gift to man?

January 20, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
  11. clc

FYI – Be not unwise with your mouth, and let not your heart be quick to say anything before God, because God is in heaven and you are on the earth–so let not the number of your words be great.

January 20, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • Ironicus

Shut up you idiot. There is no god. You are delusional. Bring forth your god or shut up.

January 20, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
    • SW

Bring forth your god or shut up? awful response. Do us all a favor and turn off your computer.

January 20, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • Prior

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made unto dust."

"Hallowed are the Ori."

January 20, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
    • Ironicus

SW, you have only to produce proof of your fake "god" and I will indeed shut up and turn off my computer.
      Until then, meaning never, I will continue to point out your idiocy in believing things that are demonstrably false.

January 20, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
    • yeahalright

Sounds interesting...can you prove it?

January 20, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
  12. NOT MY CHAIR

let me post something

January 20, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
  13. Sy2502

Very nice video. Now if the thoughtful and intelligent young man in the video would just take it a little further and realize that not only religion, but god too is an invention of man, then he'd really be free.

January 20, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
  14. AllFiveMikes

This video is 100% correct, and purely God-driven. This man...a devoted Christian....was the speaker through which God spoke.

So....you can either do what most people do: Shun the messenger. Or follow the path less worn, and listen.

January 20, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
    • ILoveJesus

Agreed!!

January 20, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
    • Ironicus

Total bullshlt.

January 20, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
    • Prior

"Those who reject the path to enlightenment, must be destroyed."

"Hallowed are the children of the Oru."

January 20, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
  15. urmomlol

"I mean if religion is so great, why has it started so many wars?”

Like every creation of man, it reflects both the strengths and weaknesses of man. Yet, for all its human failings, his religion has endured thousands of years of turmoil and change.

“Why does it build huge churches but fail to feed the poor?"

It historically has built huge churches because they are beautiful and glorious and represent a triumph of art and human accomplishment–what they might view as an exaltation of human potential in the service of their god–and because they bring people together into a community of faith. Religious organizations also feed some of the poor. They fail to feed all of the poor because it is impossible, and they do not spend all of their resources on feeding the poor because they have other duties that are also important to them.

Honestly, if people like this spent 5 minutes thinking with a fair mind, they could answer most of their own questions. It may come as a shock to 22-year-old Bethke, but critics have been parroting these same questions (and far more eloquent and sophisticated ones) for hundreds of years, and people have been answering them. His questions are hardly original or shockingly subversive, and say more about his lack of education and critical thought than anything else.

January 20, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
    • Rbnlegnd101

It is an endless cycle of the same questions and the same answers. Yes, his questions have been answered in the past, but, those answers only satisfy those who were not asking the questions. Assuming you are christian, do you find the answers of Islam or Judiasm convincing? Of course not. Just as Catholic answers do not satisfy those of who are not catholic, and the answers common to big christian churches are not convincing to those of us who do not attend big christian churches.

If you were really interested in connecting with the person asking the question, you wouldn't give him the same answer he was given as a child. That answer doesn't satisfy the spritual need he is expressing. All that answer does is stroke your ego. You haven't listened to his question, you just heard a cue and gave your response.

January 20, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
    • urmomlol

It's not a matter of convincing you or him or anyone. Convincing or not, it's the truth, regarding those who built them. He's asking objective questions to satisfy a subjective need, and and you act as if the answers should be different the hundredth time around just because he's not happy with them. Whether you agree or not, his particular questions are a matter of history. If he wants to articulate a genuinely new philosophy to satisfy his personal spiritual needs, fine; but don't pretend like this childish "why is the sky blue?" stuff represents a leap forward in religious criticism.

Oh, and for the record, I'm an atheist. You don't have to accept Christian theology to treat it fairly in a cultural and historical sense.

January 20, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
    • Rbnlegnd101

Ok, the answer as a historical response of why an organization allocates resources is valid and may even be historicaly accurate. That's not what he is asking. If the church is the agent of god, doing god's will, why is god more concerned with building pretty buildings than with helping people? Yes, from a historical business perspective, the church was allocating resources to meet conflicting goals. From a spiritual perspective, God, through the church, was saying that feeding these people was not as important as putting an attractive sculpture on the roof of this building, and feeding these other people was not as important as putting a pretty painting on the roof of this chapel. It's a fine business answer, but it inspires no faith. For someone who is seeking faith, the answers should inspire belief.

January 20, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
  16. Grace

As soon as I saw the Republican font...and "religion doesn't feed the poor" I lost interest. And I AM a follower of Jesus. But, I love his church. And the church does feed the poor. I have a feeling this guy is an Obamabot wanting to steer Christians in his direction. One thing I know for sure... Obama isn't a follower of Jesus. He does everything he can to keep the name of Jesus out of this country.

January 20, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
    • Jesus

There is no physical, historically accepted evidence that Jesus actually existed.

January 20, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
    • Bruce

Well as long as you know it for sure...

LOL

January 20, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
    • Jay (The other one)

Yeah, people like you seem to know a lot of things "for sure".

January 20, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
    • UWRONG

GRACE YOUR THE MAN

January 20, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
    • hmmmm...ok

….says the so-called follower of Jesus, because that makes you able to read what’s in someone’s heart and mind. Jesus would be so proud of you!! LMFAO….follower of Jesus, yeah ok…you’re a hypocrite, nothing less.

January 20, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
    • truth

Give me a break! Do you ahve to bring Obama into this? You are obviously infatuated with BHO, and cannot leave him alone. He is a married man, go find yourself some business to get into.

January 20, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
  17. Last Call

The message is clear. It's not about religion. It's about a personal relationship with Jesus who died for your sins on the cross. You only have to put your trust in Him for the forgiveness of your sins. Then follow Him as the disciples did. Learn, serve and reach others. Thank God there is hope. I am encouraged by young vocal Christians who are so creative in reaching others.

January 20, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
  18. ILoveJesus

Christianity is NOT a religion. Christianity is based on the actual LIFE of Christ. Christianity simply means "life of Christ". All of the rest ARE religions because they are not based on the "actual" life of anyone. The disciples did not just one day decide to call "themselves" christians. It was the people that the disciples dwelt among that gave them the name "christians" because of what they witnessed in the lives of these men. Everything that these men did reminded the people of the things Christ did and spoke. They were first called christians in Antioch.

January 20, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
    • Patriarchae

Wat. Christianity is a religion, plain and simple. You don't even deserve any more of an explanation than that.

January 20, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
    • Mike

Sorry but that is not correct. Religion is defined as a set of beliefs and Christianity is just that. I come from a Christian background and know that there are many written and unwritten "guidelines and rules" that are expected to be followed to be considered a "good Christian".

January 20, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • bdl1978

the bible is not the history of christianity. I don't know what history class you took but you have been majorly misinformed.

January 20, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
    • Seamus

tuh-may-tow, tuh-mah-tow.

January 20, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
    • Rbnlegnd101

I am sure you are paraphrasing a lovely sermon, but, it doesn't stand up. First off, we don't know that jesus was an actual person, especially not as described in the bible. It's very likely that some portions of the bible that discuss jesus are other myths, retold as being about Jesus. The history of what was and was not included in the currently accepted bible is interesting stuff. Secondly, you claim that no other religion is about the life of an actual person. Islam is about Mohammed, and his actual existence is much more clearly verified.

January 20, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
  19. Jesus Christ

If this guy likes me so much, how come I didn't get a birthday card from him last month?

January 20, 2012 at 2:02 pm |
    • NOT MY CHAIR

its probably in the mail

January 20, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
    • Rheinlander

What did you do for HIS birthday?

January 20, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
  20. mahmoud el-darwish

Quite the opposite of the truth.

January 20, 2012 at 2:02 pm |
    • Christ is my King

I'm sorry that you don't it.

January 20, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52
About this blog