home
RSS
January 19th, 2012

'Hate religion, love Jesus' video goes viral

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - With so many atheists coming out of the closet, it’s not difficult to imagine a video decrying religion racking up millions of hits on YouTube.

But a video along those lines has been viewed 15 million times and liked more than a quarter-million times since it was posted on January 10, featuring an enthusiastic young Christian from Washington state.

[youtube= http://youtu.be/1IAhDGYlpqY]

“What if I told you Jesus came to abolish religion?” 22-year-old Jefferson Bethke says in the video, reciting a spoken word poem he wrote. “What if I told you getting you to vote Republican really wasn’t his mission?”

“I mean if religion is so great, why has it started so many wars?” he says later. “Why does it build huge churches but fail to feed the poor?”

Bethke's video is emerging as a symbol for many young evangelical Christians who are calling themselves “followers of Jesus” rather than overtly identifying with institutional Christianity. Many of the country's fastest-growing churches are nondenominational.

“Religion is man-centered,” Bethke writes in a post accompanying his YouTube video. “Jesus is God-centered.”

In the video, Bethke talks about what he calls his own spiritual rebirth, saying he went from being a self-righteous religious person to an admittedly deeply broken believer.

The video has provoked an avalanche of response, including other YouTube videos, like "Why I hate religion but love Jesus, Muslim Version" and "Why I Dislike Your Poem, But Love God," which includes these lines:

I see where you’re coming from but there’s insanity in your vision
You overlook the fact that Christianity is religion
You’re like the van who claims to hate diets
Or astrophysicists who reject laws of science.

That response video has itself been viewed 390,000 times. Not bad.

Many religious bloggers echoed that video’s criticism on Bethke, alleging he’s trumpeting tenets of Christianity while purporting to blast organized religion. Critics called Bethke’s take on religion overly simplistic and dangerous.

“Anyone who does just a little digging on Bethke's YouTube channel or on Google will quickly learn that this young poet is a conservative Christian and member of the Mars Hill Church led by controversial pastor Mark Driscoll,” writes Patheos blogger Brian Kirk, a Missouri-based pastor. “All this seems to me an odd résumé for one who lambastes organized religion.”

Yet Kirk marvels at the national conversation that Bethke has provoked around deep questions:

Certainly one can agree or disagree with Bethke's take on religion but it's difficult not to admire the way he has stirred up those of us who may have been slumbering comfortably in our own faith without really thinking about why we do what we do. Some times the best way to wake up a sleeping giant is to poke it with a stick and Bethke has done just that.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity

soundoff (3,716 Responses)
  1. Brandon

Ok I tried to make that a final thought. but this is it. The bible is the inspired work of God that has never been proved wrong. And while it might be contradictory to those who take bits and pieces it has never been contradictory to those who understand how we are saved and the difference between what was once unclean and is now purified by the blood of our Savior.

January 20, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
    • Damien

Brandon,

I'm just going to leave you with this. The Bible says the world is only 6,000 years old. We know that to be false. Something that has been proven wrong. I'd like to see you refute that, believer.

January 20, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
    • Some dude

Agreed. It took me about 5 years to really tackle the seemingly contradictory statements in the bible. Focus on the central tenants first, then everything falls into place.

January 20, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
    • moebar

is that why there is a list of Interpolations that are in the bible that are being removed right now.

January 20, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
    • Some dude

@damien where does it say that?

January 20, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
    • Huh?

"The bible is the inspired work of God that has never been proved wrong. "

It's been altered by scribes, you don't know what is real and what isn't.

Everyone knows the story about Jesus and the woman about to be stoned by the mob. This account is only found in John 7:53-8:12. The mob asked Jesus whether they should stone the woman (the punishment required by the Old Testament) or show her mercy. Jesus doesn’t fall for this trap. Jesus allegedly states, let the one who is without sin among you be the first to cast a stone at her. The crowd dissipates out of shame. That story was not originally in the Gospel of John or in any of the Gospels. It was added by later scribes. The story is not found in the oldest and best manuscripts of the Gospel of John. Nor does its writing style comport with the rest of John. Most serious textual critics state that this story should not be considered part of the Bible.

After Jesus died, Mary Magdalene and two other women came back to the tomb to anoint the body of Jesus, according to Mark 16:1-2). They were met by a man in a white robe who told them that Jesus had been raised and was no longer there. The women fled and said nothing more to anyone out of fear (16:4-8). Everyone knows the rest of Mark’s Gospel, of course. The problem with the remainder of the story is that none of it was originally in the Gospel of Mark. It was added by a later scribe.

January 20, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
    • coliln

God created Adam and Eve, they created Cane and Abel. Cane kills Abel. God says "Cane, you are banished." Cane says "you can't do that to me bro. Someone might kill me."

Excuse me... who? Who might kill Cane? There's only three $%^& people on the planet. Plot fail.

January 20, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • tony

The sunlight you read your bible by, has already taken several million years to climb out of the center of the Sun where and when the atomic reactions that formed it were, before it traveled the last 8 minutes to finally shine on Earth.

January 20, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • Brandon

You must be referring to Carbon Dating and what science tries to prove about 1 million year old rocks. Science is a funny thing. God has to create something for our wonderful brains he created so that we could have FREE-WILL.

Think about this ... What would you have to do if you were GOD creating a life that had free will. You can't truly even begin to grasp this notion because even I as a believer cannot. It's called FAITH.

January 20, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
    • *

Some dude,

tenet = belief
      tenant = renter

January 20, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
    • VanHagar

Damien...Please cite the verse that says the earth is 6,000 years old. That is an interpretation of verses (wrong IMHO), but it is not in the Bible. I'd like to see you refute that, non-believer.

January 20, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
    • StuffUrMamaShudaToldYa

Where does the Bible say the world is 6000 years old? chapter and verse please

January 20, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
    • yeahalright

How about when has it ever been proven right???

January 20, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
    • Damien

Brandon,

Your comment about free will has nothing to do with science...or are you saying that your free will allows you to disbelieve facts? Sure, you can do that. That's called ignorance. I humbly accept fact over faith simply because facts are proven. Would your faith tell you that salt can cause high blood pressure? Or that cold air and warm air mixing can cause tornadoes? Or how the Earth is actually revolving around the Sun? Or how even the Sun is just a big ball of gas?

And here's faith. In terms of blood pressure, you die because God decided it was your time. Sure, you could have worked out more or ate less salt. In terms of tornadoes, it was God's way of punishing people. In terms of the Earth revolving around the Sun, Jesus took away the sins of humans, so why wouldn't we believe that the Sun revolved around the Earth? And the Sun being a big ball of gas? Blasphemy.

And the worst part is, science has discovered all of these things and yet you STILL choose to be ignorant. That's not faith. That's stupidity. No one is stuffing these facts down your throat; scientists found them while being curious about the world. Faith, instead, is all about people shoving all kinds of crap down your throat. You must believe so-and-so or else you're going to hell! If you believe in high blood pressure or the Earth revolving around the Sun, there's no consequence.

January 20, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
    • gimarie

Christians, just because you agree that the bible is truth, does not mean that you are a doer of the word. Therefore the bible is of no use to you, whoever you maybe. Most of us in this big old world need to find ourselves searching for the master of all creation, when you hear him speak to your soul you will know whether the bible is true or false.

January 20, 2012 at 5:34 pm |
  2. tony

I hate religion, I love Harry Potter. Now that we have stripped religion away from a historical fictional or non-fictional inspiring struggling person, do you believe in magic too?

January 20, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
  3. your neighbor

Would love to see a parody of the video done using the FSM. 🙂

January 20, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
  4. Puzzled in Peoria

Atheists do not understand Christianity because they do not want to understand it. All they want to do is demean it. The claims they make against religion can also be made against mankind in general. Religion is made up of human beings. I never hear about the hospitals, orphanages, homeless shelters, nursing homes, and relief efforts of Christianity from them, only about wars.

Atheists: What is it, exactly, about Jesus Christ that you hate?

January 20, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
    • sabrina

Why are you equating Christianity with the love of Jesus? Did you even watch the video?? Or is it cognitively hard for you to separate the two concepts..?

January 20, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
    • lwkite

We don't hate Jesus.It is his followers that can't stop cramping their beliefs down everybody's throats.

January 20, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
    • XYZ

Are you for real. Atheist can't hate what they don't believe in.
      Generally, atheists care about the truth, bucause it has real meaning.
      If any evidence showed itself to prove christianity, atheists would be helpless to believe, but we are still waiting...

January 20, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
    • coliln

honestly? it's the whole sandals thing. that's all.

January 20, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
    • Friendly Atheist

As an atheist, I don't hate Jesus. Sounds like he was probably a pretty good guy, if he really existed. You are wrong about understanding Christianity... most of us used to be Christian. I went to church every week for the first 18 years of my life. I was even a Bible school teacher. I get religion and appreciate good and kind religious people. I also accept good science, which only a small minority of Christians do understand.

January 20, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
    • tony

All the hospitals, orphanages, homeless shelters, nursing homes, and relief efforts are provided even better by the government in my country. As they should be. Plus you don't get the "free" sermons.

January 20, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
    • Steve

Sabrina, where this young man, and YOU as well, are very confused is that if you follow the teachings of Jesus Christ, then you would not separate yourself from organized religion. Those that don't get that need to study his word a little more to understand that, because it is in fact part of Christ's teachings.

January 20, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
    • WordUpToo

You are off base – we don't hate JC, but we hate those who wrangle his name & teachings for their own benefit & claim in words to love but in action are hateful towards those that are not "one of them." If Xtians truly walked their talk we wouldn't have their bigotry and hatred towards gays, minorities, Muslims, Jews, stem-cells....on and on.

January 20, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • sabrina

You can't understand Christianity and its teachings. You can't logically make arguments or show evidence that Christianity is the truth. You either take that leap of faith or you don't. So it's not that atheists don't try to 'understand' Christianity. It's just that Christianity is not about understanding. It's about faith.

For example, you said so yourself that religion is made up of human beings. Human beings are flawed. Therefore, religious teachings (made by flawed humans) must be flawed. Therefore, another human being can have a problem with another human being's teachings because they're both flawed. If you equate religion with Jesus, then why can't another human being have a problem with Jesus? OH WAIT THAT'S IRONIC. The guy in the video is actually saying NOT to equate Jesus with religion, so therefore I can have a problem with religion but not with Jesus. However, according to your logic, YOU hate jesus and the guy in the video love jesus.

January 20, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • Nick

It's not that we hate Jesus, in fact if I knew he was real I would love him. I just highly doubt that a book written hundreds of years after his death and passed down word of mouth then translated is "the word of god". You got to understand that unless you are exposed to a religion from a very young age it seems silly and to me it is forced. I have gone to church several times with friends of all faiths but I just don't get it. Why would God make me then make me "figure out" and have "faith" in him when he is all powerful and could just show me he exists. Why is there so much evil and suffering in the world? Why do so many people die over religion?

January 20, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
    • mulehead

Actually that's not the case – there are plenty of Atheist charities – The Gates Foundation as Gates doesn't believe in god. Warren Buffett is also a non-believer and one of the biggest filantropists on the planet. I recently had a discussion with a friend from India. He noted that all types of ministries come through his area of India, preaching to the poor. These people quickly 'convert', until they missionaries leave. Why? They're starving! If someone comes in and says "god is great, here's some food and clothes" who wouldn't take it?? I won't even comment on the war thing – if you're not versed in history to know this is a false statement, I sure can't educate you here.............

January 20, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
    • Lacking Evidence since 14 Billion BCE

Atheists tend to understand and know more about religion, at least in the US, than most Christians do. It doesn't make any sense and the holy text contains items that are demonstrably false (noah's flood anyways?), claims that there are things that are moral to do that we have rejected (stone chicks that aren't virgins when they get married)_ and makes claims that are utterly absurd and stupid (Solomon's temple would have used so much silver that a solid block of the size described would take up over half the volume of the building and needing 150,000 workers 7 years to build a 2,000 sq ft building, talk about no work contracts.)

January 20, 2012 at 2:53 pm |
    • mulehead

Ugh...i hate typos... filanthropest should be philanthropist.

January 20, 2012 at 2:53 pm |
    • Not So Puzzled

Not a full-blown atheist here (raised Jewish, but consider myself more spitirual than religious). It seems to me the problem(s) Atheists have with religion come in a few varieties: That religion attempts to force people to be 'GOOD' through FEAR; That religion is far more devisive than it ought to be; Reglious folks who scream and yelled 'I'm SAVED and YOU'RE NOT!'; The fact that, mostly Christians, can't accpet that others just do not, and never will, agree with them; The fact that Christians will spin the Bible any way they want to fit their needs, even if it means taking a parable out of context; The Bible itself: This is a collection of stories, claiming to quote Jesus, when in reality it is a heavily edited text with chapters sometimes written hundreds of years after the man's death; The wholesale slaughter of those who would not convert, throughout history. Shall I continue?

January 20, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
    • Patrick

@ Puzzled in Peoria
      Speaking of not understanding.
      If you understood what an Atheist is, you’d know they don’t hate your jebus. They CAN’T hate him because they don’t believe he is real. If you are interested in learning about Atheist I encourage you to start with the most recent polls showing Atheist tend to be much more knowledgably about religion than Christians themselves. (Don’t believe me LOOK IT UP). Your assertion that the arguments made against your religion (one of many) can be made against mankind.. Almost any assertion can be made about mankind as we are very diverse species with a long history of contradictor behavior. The arguments you are referring to have FACTUAL bases to show religion was the cause of the particular issue at hand. So instead of deflecting the topic, why not respond directly to those criticisms?

As far as your question about the more positive aspects. “WE” do hear about them, if you pay attention there were two articles just recently about the Salvation Army and some Thumper convention to raise money to fight slavery. Christians and religion itself are not the only ones who do charitable acts.

So you are left with no real argument Puzzled. Perhaps you should pray about it.

January 20, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
    • J in Phx

I am an atheist. I understand Christianity from my experience. I was raised as a Methodist. I even went to church on my own as a child. I don't hate Jesus Christ. I went to college and during that time I decided that religion or believing in God wasn't for me. The narrow-mindedness of many evangelists bothers me and scares me. I consider myself a moral person. I try to live by the golden rule. Atheism doesn't mean "one who hates god or jesus or whoever". It is a lack of belief that God exists. There is not hate involved. I am actually interested in religion and why people are involved with it. I like to read things like Lord of the Rings; however, I don't believe that hobbits, dwarves, or wizards ever existed. I don't hate these things just because I don't believe in them. I think that people should keep these kinds of things private or share it among those who want to share it. I don't go around spouting why I am an atheist to people; nor do I talk to everyone about how great I think Lord of the rings may be. If I find people who want to talk about these things with me, then great; otherwise, I don't share them. Many atheists don't like religionists pushing God in their face and then trying to make generalizations about us (as atheists) being moral or not moral. I also don't think that your opinions on what you believe belong in public displays, like White House Presidental talks.

January 20, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
    • mulehead

Not so Puzzled – You nailed it on the head. I was a believer for most of my life, but seeing people behave one way during the week and another on sunday just made me sick. I turned to atheism more from a science perspective – seeing that the beauty of evolution was much more 'real' and made me appreciate life and people to a greater degree than any religion ever could. Don't be afraid to take that next step – your true friends will always be there....and are probably atheists already....just need encouragement. Have a great weekend!

January 20, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
    • yeahalright

I'm guessing you don't believe in the Easter Bunny. Perhaps a foolish assumption considering you believe in fantastic things without a shred of evidence. But I digress.

Why do you hate the Easter Bunny?

January 20, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
  5. Brandon

I love you all and regardless or religous views or anything else. There is someone else who loves you more than anyone ever could. Someone who tried to make a way for you even though he knew just where you are at today.

January 20, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
    • Gasp

Does this mean you wont post anymore!

January 20, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
    • Robert

"How is it that I have a personal relationship with him ?"

You don't you only think you do, it's that part of your brain that releases a chemical to make you think you're spiritual, but the reality is your not, it's just your brain.

January 20, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
    • Damien

This sounds like someone speaking from a crazed standpoint. How can anyone prove that my invisible friend doesn't exist? You can't. People just KNOW that those who have invisible friends are usually either children or a bit off their rocker. If I said I was a grown man and had a personal relationship with an invisible person, do you know what my diagnosis would be? Crazy. Religion to some people is like mass hysteria.

January 20, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
    • Steve

Robert is clearly an idiot who only derives comfort trying to move you from your beliefs. Simply ignore him.

January 20, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
    • Brandon

I started to go ahead and type what you all would write back when I posted the above ... because it would be "LOGICAL" that I would need to be on meds.

Thinking someone came and died for my salvation hundreds of years ago ... That he knew me personally ... WoW ... Faith makes me look like an Idiotic lunatic. I know ... However I do have a personal relationship in which he has told me go tell such and such this ... and I in my own mind say ... "NOOOOOO ... I will not" and eventually I have gone and told someone something that I thought was IDIOTIC and they break down and cry in front of me ... I have seen MIRACLES in front of me ... God is real refute all you want. I love you all the same and you would actually probably never know my beliefs are the way they are if you knew me because I don't share them much. As all of my aquaintances would think I had lost my mind. Most of my best friends have gotten into very deep conversations with me only to realize that I can't "PROVE" what I KNOW ... however they do know who I am and it has changed thier lives because of my accounts. Sorry that I do not know you all better ... so that you know that I am very logical and wish you all the best.

January 20, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
    • Lacking Evidence since 14 Billion BCE

It's the same feeling you get when you care about a movie or tv character, just because YOU love Brad Pit doesn't mean you have a personal relationship with him.

January 20, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
    • Lacking Evidence since 14 Billion BCE

Plus your anecdotal "evidence" isn't evidence to the rest of us. Personal experiences aren't evidence.

January 20, 2012 at 2:58 pm |
    • Huh?

Steve you're the idiot.

The frontal lobe, the area right behind our foreheads, helps us focus our attention in prayer and meditation.

The parietal lobe, located near the backs of our skulls, is the seat of our sensory information. It's involved in that feeling of becoming part of something greater than oneself.

The limbic system, nestled deep in the center, regulates our emotions and is responsible for feelings of awe and joy.
      Religion uses these areas of the brain during prayer and meditation. Religion is a byproduct of many different evolutionary functions that organized our brains for day-to-day activity.

January 20, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
    • yeahalright

Your own personal delusions =/= evidence.

I believe in the Easter Bunny. He's made a real and tangible difference in my life. How can you deny he's real?

You're talking to yourself bud. If you didn't call it "god" you'd be rightfully thrown in a nut house.

January 20, 2012 at 3:14 pm |
    • get some logic...

"Finaly thought for you all. If Jesus wasn't real. How is it that I have a personal relationship with him ?
      How is it that things have happened in my personal life that is unesxplainable by LOGIC ?"

Dude, is that really your argument? Schizophrenic people have personal relationships with imaginary people. Children have personal relationships with make believe friends. I could go on. The fact is, just because you can't be bothered to do some critical thinking doesn't automatically mean your supernatural presumptions are real.

I'm not denigrating your beliefs. I think faith and spirituality are a good thing. Keep believing if that's what works for you, but stop trying to act like because you don't have the answer that it must be God. You will never win an argument about religious beliefs using logic, because faith defies logic. I promise you that if you simply say it's faith and you don't have the answers you'll get more respect from non-believers than if you keep putting forth these ridiculous arguments trying to justify your faith.

January 20, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
  6. Damien

The Bible is crap. Sorry guys, but it contradicts itself a hundred times over. I highly doubt that a being like God would create such a convoluted book.

If God really wanted to have someone write something of His own, it would be less than a page. Those who cling to the Bible, that's fine; I don't hate you and my common sense might sound like disrespect, but please understand from a logical point of view that the Bible sounds like Aesop's Fables; something good to read if you lack a moral compass.

January 20, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
    • Some dude

Sources plz.

January 20, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
    • svann

If you ever actually read it you would know God didnt write it.

January 20, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
    • Clarify

Definitely copy errors but no contradictions.

January 20, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
    • Bruce

God didn't create the Bible, the Church did. Read up on the Canonical councils of the 4th century.

And the contradictions are evidence only that the councils' goals didn't include internal consistency of an arrangement of dozens of different texts. You might as well criticize a collection of short stories by comparing the 2nd story to the 5th and say that the character named "Bob" is 6'2" in the 2nd and 5'7" in the 5th...

January 20, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
    • Joe T.

I can think of one contradiction right now. There is a scripture that numbers the horses in David's army. Then the number changes in another scripture. Can't remember the verses. If you really are interested, google it.

January 20, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
    • Steve P.

Damien, u didn't give a example of the contradictions. How can someone know what's a contradiction if you don't give an example. Please to elaborate. We forget that the word of God does not contradict itself because God is not a God of confusion. Contradictions come when there is no clear understanding of a point.

January 20, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
    • Bruce

The very first line of the New Testament (Matthew 1:1) claims that Jesus is the son of David. This claim is refuted by none other than Jesus himself in the same book (Matthew 22:45), in bright red letters if you have a red-letter edition!

January 20, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • Damien

For Steve P. A list of contradictions.

God is not a God of confusion, therefore only one possibility exists–the Bible is man-made.

January 20, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
    • StuffUrMamaShudaToldYa

This coming a guy named damien

January 20, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
    • Lacking Evidence since 14 Billion BCE

If you're going to us a book as proof of something as big as god it better be accurate and consistent. If it's "copy errors" then who knows how far off it actually is. Ever play the telephone game. You can screw up a phrase in less than a minute let alone hundreds of years of oral history before even being written.

January 20, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
    • Peter

Your sin is in your way, that's all. Lesson 1: Repent. The Kingdom of God is close by.

January 20, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
    • James 1:22

This is where your understanding of the Bible fails. the Bible is not 1 book. it is a complete library of books. 66 in the Protestant version. 73 in the Catholic. it was written over 1500 years by 40 known authors, from Kings to peasants. and when read continuously it reads as one story. there are no contradictions just difference in eye witness accounts.

to quote a favorite song of mine by Jason Gray
      "Cause all religion ever made of me. Was just a sinner with a stone tied to my feet. It never set me free."

Stop following a Religion and start following and LIVING the teachings of Christ

James 1:22 "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says."

January 20, 2012 at 3:05 pm |
  7. Idonthaveanick

Why would I not listen to him? I have been thinking the same way all my life. I love JESUS, I love GOD and everything he represents, but I feel just like this young man. Be blessed my friend!

January 20, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
  8. svann

Very well written poem too. Extra credit for not making it rap.

January 20, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
  9. Prologue

Everyone knows The Bible ripped off the Egyptian Book of the Dead.

January 20, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
    • svann

Whenever people say "everyone knows" its wrong, but in this case its so wrong it cant see right anymore.

January 20, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
    • Damien

That's called deflection, svann. Furthermore, Christianity wasn't even original; it was copied from the Jews. And Hinduism actually had something similar to the Bible thousands of years before there was a Bible.

January 20, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
    • Prologue

Sorry, everyone with an education above the 12th grade.

January 20, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
    • Clarify

I"m pretty sure everyone knows the Bible as a whole came much later. There is, however, irrefutable evidence for early writings of Hebrew law and history as old or older as other writings (much of what you find in the OT).

January 20, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
    • svann

Damien: well yea since Jesus was a Jew it makes sense that his teachings are not so different. But I think Jews would take offense at your implication that its just a copy. He did contradict their teachings.

January 20, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
    • Damien

svann,

Actually, I never said Jesus was a Jew. You must have read that elsewhere. I said Christianity was copied from the Jews. At that point, it really doesn't matter what Jesus said because you're taking something out of the Bible, which was a COPY. Of course the Bible was going to say that Jesus distanced himself from the teachings of the Jews. What are you smoking?

January 20, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
    • svann

Damien you misread me. You said christianity was copied from the Jews. I said that is because Jesus WAS a Jew, and that calling it a copy is not accurate since Jesus contradicted Jews to the point where they wanted him dead.

January 20, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
  10. Karloff

Just another deluded person presenting his view of the god delusion. I also noted the political message contained within the video. Propaganda, indeed.

January 20, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
    • sabrina

where is the evidence for your accusation?

January 20, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
    • Some dude

There is none.

January 20, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
    • Karloff

@sabrina: Please clarify: evidence of the god delusion or the political message in the vid?

January 20, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
    • Peter

Do you hear voices in your head?

January 20, 2012 at 2:57 pm |
  11. NNx592QA

Turn off the sound and add some rap music – it would make much more sense.

January 20, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
  12. RaeL

I grew up in a home (60s-70s) where my father preached the worst parts of his religion to us: end of the world, all other religions are bad, he knew gods plan because he had read the bible and knew for sure women were the cause for mankind’s fall from grace. I guess his collection of playboy and hustler helped him figurer that out. He was very much a hypocrite, self indigent, righteous beyond the point of criticism. He was the complete opposite of what he said God was. By age 15 I had figured out what this young man has, god is good and religion, a device of mans own ego did more to keep man from God then it did to bring him closer.

January 20, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
    • Peter

Your example shows why Jesus said it would be better to have a millstone around your neck and be thrown into the sea, than to offend one of these little ones. Sorry for your disappointment. Look to Jesus, not sinful men.

January 20, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
  13. god

silly mortals

January 20, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
  14. bnb42

I am the creator and the destroyer, I am he that defines all worlds. I bring life to the lifeless, I rain death on all that lives. My judgement is supreme. I encompass all things, I am the progenitor of good and evil. I created sin, I cause its every pain. Hell is of my works. I am the source of all gods. I create gods on a whim, I destroy gods with a thought. I am man.

January 20, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
  15. Fred

Yeah, I knew this topic would attract a bunch of atheists.
    Even Darwin converted on his deathbed. How's it feel to
    know that your HERO got scared at the end and repented?
    You guys will try it, too, I'm sure.

January 20, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
    • bnb42

Fred: You just reposted the same thing.... See the hundreds of replies from several pages ago.....

January 20, 2012 at 2:33 pm |
    • LOL

Got any more good arguments that christianity is the only true religion?

January 20, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
    • Atheose

First of all, the story of Darwin's "death bed conversion" are all false.

Second of all, it has no bearing on the Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection, which is true regardless of Darwin's personal beliefs.

January 20, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
    • Chris

Thanks for the afternoon laugh. I thought you were serious there for a second.

January 20, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
    • Tim

Darwin was always a Christian, so I'm not sure what he converted from. And never 'repented' from or disowned his scientific achievements. Any suggestion that he did is fundie propaganda.

January 20, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
    • teacher

Darwin did not convert on his death bed. That is a myth spread by the uneducated.

January 20, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
    • Lacking Evidence since 14 Billion BCE

Do you have proof of this "death bed conversion", it's always so convenient that you're talking about someone who is not around to defend himself.

Either way, it's not "our hero" and a conversion still wouldn't affect the validity of his observations that we've evolved through the process of natural selection. Evolution doesn't address the question of the origin of life, just the mechanism of how we have the diversity of life on our planet. With that knowledge we can just reject the claim that god made us this way from the start.

January 20, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
    • svann

LOL. Atheists are the worlds leading experts on religion.

January 20, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
    • coliln

actual research would have stopped your post. but that might have been too science-y for you. I'm not an atheist but I believe spreading ignorance is as bad as anything else. the "Darwin repented story" is actually untrue. never happened. seriously. check it out. completely false.
      If you still believe it, then I know a guy from Africa who wants you to put some gold in a bank for him. He'll give you half.

January 20, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
    • Jonny

Darwin may be a hero to some – atheist or otherwise, but he's certainly not a hero to all atheists. Darwin is simply one of thousands of important thinkers in human history. A benefit of atheism is that we are not required to put anyone, real or imagined, on a pedestal of worship. If an atheist was required to pay homage or give high regard to Darwin or anyone else, there would be little that separated it from religion.

As for a deathbed conversation: religion is a powerful, however personal, thing that often goes hand in hand with our innate fear of death. A deathbed conversation illustrates nothing but this truth. Additionally, the theories of natural selection and evolution are not incompatible with belief in God.

January 20, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
    • Damien

Fred,

What's sad is that someone has to be frightened of death to repent. Everyone who turns to religion because they're afraid of dying are selfish; you didn't want to believe before, but now because you're dying, you want to go somewhere where you exist and live on forever instead of just ceasing to exist.

January 20, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
    • Patrick

"Even Darwin converted on his death bed"? People really believe this?

January 20, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • Joe T.

svann, you are right. Atheists do know more about religions than religious people. Religious people rarely look passed the surface of their faith and they very seldom look into other religions. I studied many religions when I was doing research to see if the things I had been taught all my life were true. I was raised in a closed-minded religious cult. Turns out in my journey to escape from that mental prison, I stumbled upon the fact that all religions were garbage.

January 20, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
    • yeahalright

My hero? Wth are you talking about? We don't need cult leader like you guys.

And have you been around a death bed? People are understandably afraid of imminent death and often not very lucid. Scared and illogical. Yup sounds like someone from whom a christian would find support for their delusions.

January 20, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
  16. TheLord

A Christian is a folower of Christ, religious people follow a story book, totally different sides and understanding of what Jesus said and did. If there are any Christians left in America they are hard to find.

January 20, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
    • Darren SIsco

Your a moron.

January 20, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
    • you ain't the Lord

I know HUNDREDS of Christians. I know them to be good people. Maybe go talk to some and see for yourself. But you can't make up your mind without doing your research. Would you judge a race without knowing them? I sure as hell hope not.

January 20, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
    • Megan

You're more of a moron for saying "your a moron".

January 20, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
  17. Brandon

Amazes me to think anyone could look at this earch much less the galaxies and galaxies that god has put around us and Built and say that he doesn't exists. CHALLENGE: to anyone that doesn't believe in JESUS CHRIST your savior ... the ONLY way to get to heaven. (A whole other talk in itself.) Find yourself a non-denominational church and Give Jesus a try.

January 20, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
    • Blinded

God of the Gaps

January 20, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
    • Robert

Most atheists are former Christians. Your theory doesn't work.

January 20, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
    • teacher

I am a follower of the true god... the FSM.

January 20, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
    • Lacking Evidence since 14 Billion BCE

I believe it was a pew survey but atheists tend to know more about religion than those who claim to be religious. Hence was many of the most prominent atheists deconverted when they went to seminary school.

January 20, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
    • James

I and most other atheists I know were raised Christian but eventually found that religion created more questions than answers. There is a lot of good stuff in the bible, but it is largely metaphorical, while far too many people take it literally.

January 20, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
  18. Brandon

People who say that the bible is not Scientifically backed up are one UN-EDUCATED and should really research what they are saying before they say such things they "THINK" to be true.

January 20, 2012 at 2:28 pm |
    • Atheose

IIf the bible were "scientifically backed up" then you wouldn't need faith. The bible is a horribly inaccurate account of the world written by iron-age idiots.

January 20, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
    • Pllllleeeeeease

Are you kidding, troll?

January 20, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
    • I'm The Best!

Oh, so where is the scientific evidence for creationism, or Adam and eve, or the great flood? Or are you cherry picking things like locations that were always known to exist?

January 20, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
    • sabrina

While the Bible certainly is NOT scientifically backed up if you know anything about science, my dear, I hardly think it was written by 'idiots.' If you read the Bible, the stories are actually really interesting and imaginative. Being more of a logical person, I'm kind of impressed that people have come up with this. But you have to understand the context the Bible was written in – in a time when they didn't have scientific understandings, so societies and as the world became more condensed, began to use and spread the Bible for cultural, socioeconomic and political reasons.

January 20, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
    • Some dude

I wouldn't say horribly inaccurate. Scholarship of the Bible has revealed it is quite accurate and well pressed compared to most other works of antiquity.

January 20, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
    • Ed

If you truly believe that, then you haven't a clue about what science is.

January 20, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
    • Bizarre

There is not a scintilla of verified evidence for the supernatural beings nor events told about in the Bible.

It is a history and historical fiction of a primitive culture who lived in the Middle Eastern desert, along with retellings of their myths, legends, fables and superst-itions. Some of the included morality tales are useful. That is all.

January 20, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
    • john

Your an idiot NOTHING in the Bible is backed by science

January 20, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
    • yeahalright

John seriously take a few and look up the difference between your and you're. It makes your point look really stupid when you can't tell the difference.

January 20, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
  19. Reality

The day we STOP relying on fantasies to solve our problems and start taking responsibility for ourselves and or world is the day we can truly take a step toward saving our species. God a we know him is a creation of man, not the other way around.

January 20, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
    • Bruce

But if Bastian Bux didn't believe enough to shout out the new name for the Empress, "Moonchild," the Ivory Tower and all of Fantasia would have been consumed by The Nothing!

January 20, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
    • Rapp

So... what are you doing to save our species?

January 20, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
  20. Illiterate Dude

I remember my fist coment on mesage bored also. people r crazie..............all hail the hitchster

January 20, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52
About this blog