home
RSS
January 19th, 2012

'Hate religion, love Jesus' video goes viral

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - With so many atheists coming out of the closet, it’s not difficult to imagine a video decrying religion racking up millions of hits on YouTube.

But a video along those lines has been viewed 15 million times and liked more than a quarter-million times since it was posted on January 10, featuring an enthusiastic young Christian from Washington state.

[youtube= http://youtu.be/1IAhDGYlpqY]

“What if I told you Jesus came to abolish religion?” 22-year-old Jefferson Bethke says in the video, reciting a spoken word poem he wrote. “What if I told you getting you to vote Republican really wasn’t his mission?”

“I mean if religion is so great, why has it started so many wars?” he says later. “Why does it build huge churches but fail to feed the poor?”

Bethke's video is emerging as a symbol for many young evangelical Christians who are calling themselves “followers of Jesus” rather than overtly identifying with institutional Christianity. Many of the country's fastest-growing churches are nondenominational.

“Religion is man-centered,” Bethke writes in a post accompanying his YouTube video. “Jesus is God-centered.”

In the video, Bethke talks about what he calls his own spiritual rebirth, saying he went from being a self-righteous religious person to an admittedly deeply broken believer.

The video has provoked an avalanche of response, including other YouTube videos, like "Why I hate religion but love Jesus, Muslim Version" and "Why I Dislike Your Poem, But Love God," which includes these lines:

I see where you’re coming from but there’s insanity in your vision
You overlook the fact that Christianity is religion
You’re like the van who claims to hate diets
Or astrophysicists who reject laws of science.

That response video has itself been viewed 390,000 times. Not bad.

Many religious bloggers echoed that video’s criticism on Bethke, alleging he’s trumpeting tenets of Christianity while purporting to blast organized religion. Critics called Bethke’s take on religion overly simplistic and dangerous.

“Anyone who does just a little digging on Bethke's YouTube channel or on Google will quickly learn that this young poet is a conservative Christian and member of the Mars Hill Church led by controversial pastor Mark Driscoll,” writes Patheos blogger Brian Kirk, a Missouri-based pastor. “All this seems to me an odd résumé for one who lambastes organized religion.”

Yet Kirk marvels at the national conversation that Bethke has provoked around deep questions:

Certainly one can agree or disagree with Bethke's take on religion but it's difficult not to admire the way he has stirred up those of us who may have been slumbering comfortably in our own faith without really thinking about why we do what we do. Some times the best way to wake up a sleeping giant is to poke it with a stick and Bethke has done just that.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity

soundoff (3,716 Responses)
  1. Linda Lee

If you really listen to what this young man is saying, really really listen, it is all true. "Religion" is man made! Faith will set you free! Gather together with other Christians, and read the Bible. Be kind to others, and life like Jesus!

January 22, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
    • Eric G

If only "faith" and "belief" were as benign as you make them out to be.........

January 22, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • mr. Magoooooooooo

What about people who can't muster up faith in something unprovable, yet are still kind and honest and truly care about their fellow man? Do they still NEED to believe what you do?

January 22, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • Jibs

Magoo.. People of all religions, imcluding athiests, have to muster up "faith" in the unprovable all the time, every day. You just like to tangle up in semantics. D you have any proof youre gonna live to see the end of today? No, but you dont fret because you have faith it will come. Otherwise youd be a wreck. Granted, thats a simplified example but nonetheless.. Think

January 22, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
  2. One one

Religious tolerance is OK (even though Jesus didn't believe in it). If someone wants to worship a telephone pole, fine. It is annoying however, when believers push their fantasies into the public space and preach that if the rest of us don't buy into their beliefs, their invisible, all powerful god will send us to hell. Even more insulting is that they think that is perfectly justifiable.

January 22, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
    • Observer

Hell is separation from God which is the default condition of all of us. In this public space I will tell you that it doesn't have to be that way and it is not God's will that it should be. I'm glad you come here.

January 22, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
    • Teeby

Yu mean the way athiests flew banners of their fantasy that god doesnt exist, all over public airspace?

January 22, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
    • Eric G

@Teeby & Observer: I am sorry, but your claims of the existence of your god carry a burden of proof. As an atheist, I subscribe to no "fantasy" that your god does not exist. As an atheist, I argue that you have presented no verifiable evidence that your god exists. Any argument as to the will or actions of your god are irrelevant until the burden of proof that arrises from your claim is satisfied.

Please provide any verifiable evidence that your god exists.

January 22, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
    • One one

"separation from god" is a sugar coated way of saying burn for eternity. The bible is very clear. 2 Thessalonians, 8-9:In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power

Atheists don't preach that that their invisible all powerful god will send them to hell for not accepting their beliefs.

January 22, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
    • nerd

Please prove god does not exist. Oh wait, you can't. Stop spouting that "invisible god" nonsense, it gives atheists a bad name. You say you don't believe in god, but you push your ideals and superfluous language on us by posting here, it's similar to what people engaged in spreading the good word do, haha.

January 22, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
    • Observer

Eric – no one can offer you proof of the existence of God or in other foundational beliefs. We proceed from moment to moment assuming that time, the laws of physics and even logic will operate as we expect them to. If I wish to add that God is the cause of such order, then at least I have a foundation from which to derive a belief in it. Order has to exist first. Then we can ask for or provide evidence.

January 22, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
    • One one

@Nerd. Prove to me that 1000 gods don't exist. When you do that, I will prove one god does not exist.

Atheists don't preach that that their invisible all powerful god will send people to hell for not accepting their beliefs.

January 22, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
    • nerd

Can't you just be atheist and leave it at that? Seems kind of hypocritical to denounce religion and god, but then to preach and push arguments that your word is the right one.

January 22, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
    • Eric G

@Observer: If you do not have to provide evidencial support for your claims of reality, your claims must be dismissed. What if you told me that you believed that your god wants you to kill others who do not share your belief? Do I just need to accept that too? Where do you draw the line on "burden of proof"?

January 22, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
    • Observer

2 Thessalonians 1:8-9
      He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power.

I don't disagree with that. Everlasting destruction is death. Shut out from the presence of the Lord is what I described initially. I don't mean to sugar-coat it. If a lake of fire is more meaningful to you, then go with that – but I don't think fear will take you very far. You should be asking what it means to know God and to obey the gospel.

January 22, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
    • Ironicus

nerd, can't you just be religious and leave it at that?
      Right back in your face, religious punk!

January 22, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
    • One one

@nerd. It's not that simple. I don't want strangers telling my children that a bogus myth is true, AND, if they refuse to believe it's true, they will be tortured forever in hell

January 22, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
    • One one

@observer. I don't fear he'll because I don't believe in it or anything else supernatural. However, I believe it is wrong to impose such fears and beliefs on children.

January 22, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
    • nerd

i'm not religious, i'm just pointing out some flaws. lol at the adamant atheist making sure his kids don't make decisions for themselves in how they feel spiritually. have you guys read the bible, or are you just taking quotes from some biased source? it won't hurt to read it for interpreting another side of something when you're making blanket statements like that.

January 22, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
    • Eric G

@Observer: Sorry, you are making a circular argument. "The bible makes claims that must be true because they are in the bible, and that is all the proof I need."

How about this one.....

"But if ... evidences of virginity are not found for the young woman, then they shall bring out the young woman to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death with stones..." (Deuteronomy 22:20,21)

Do I just need to accept this as what your god wants because it is in the bible?

January 22, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
    • One one

Look at the quote from the bible I posted above. It says Jesus seeks vengeance on non-believers by punishing them with everlasting destruction and flaming fire. Would you want me to teach your kids that is what will happen to them if they don't believe something I tell them and that you don't personally believe?

January 22, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
    • Observer

Eric- Beginning with a foundational belief in God and the order that I say begins with that we can begin working with claims that can be evidenced. The foundational belief is not and need not be evidenced, it is grounded by the things that can be derived from it: first of all a working system of logic to begin, necessary before we can advance and examine claims by evidence. Does order have properties that we can examine? I just explained that I think that God is the foundation for order in the natural world. I don't think order stops there. It extends to us (we are part of the natural world after all). We expect order in our lives and in our relationships with other people. 'One one' believes in a sort of order that would make it unfair that non-believers should be thrown into a lake of fire for the crime of unbelief. You believe in order too. If I claimed that God wants me to kill people you would find that unlikely and abhorrent. It seems to me that beginning with God we move easily to a system of order that we all want to agree upon.

January 22, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
    • Observer

Eric – I really haven't gone into the Bible other than to find "One one's reference to 2 Thessalonians – of which I only said I don't disagree. I'm not sure who said "The bible makes claims that must be true because they are in the bible, and that is all the proof I need."

January 22, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
    • Eric G

@Observer: " I think that God is the foundation for order in the natural world. I don't think order stops there."

This is an argument from as-sumption. What you "think" is irrelevant. If I told you that you are wrong because I think that peanut butter is the foundation for order in the natural world, we would be at an impass.

Using your logic, both claims are accurate. We both will have presented a hypothesis that carries a burden of proof. Now, we can present the evidencial support for our hypothesis to explain how the order of the natural world exists. I will be a step ahead because I can, at the very least, provide verifiable evidence that peanut butter exists.

January 22, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
    • Observer

Eric – Actually you would be a couple of steps behind because peanut butter was once peanuts which were once in the ground as part of a plant that somebody planted etc. All dependent on time, logic, and a natural order. God is the origination of these things. If you want to call God "peanut butter" that is certainly a choice you can make. It is more difficult to identify peanut butter as God, but I'm all ears.

January 22, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
    • Eric G

@Observer: So, you discount my peanut butter god because you know for a fact that peanut butter comes from peanuts that came from plants that were planted in the ground and so on and so on.....

Based on evidence that is verifiable, your position is not based on as-sumption, and thus, is totally logical. Interesting that you did not attempt to use the same critical thinking method to defend your own hypothesis. You had a full, evidence based counter for my claims of reality. Why is your claim not subject to the same burden of proof?

January 22, 2012 at 4:51 pm |
    • Eric G

@Observer: Besides, peanut butter is great with banana's. Just ask Ray Comfort.

January 22, 2012 at 4:54 pm |
    • md2205

To Eric G: No one can prove G-d exists because you can't prove something that is infinite with a sense. Infinity is not physical. Therefore, you must only say that nothing that is not physical exists, but you can't prove that either. To ask for proof for something that is not able to be sensed by our five senses is unfair, because it cannot be done. However, to accept historical accounts that G-d did once reveal Himself to mankind would be fair as proof, as much as one accepts accounts that Julius Caesar existed as proof that he existed.

January 22, 2012 at 6:27 pm |
    • Bizarre

md2205 – "to accept historical accounts that G-d did once reveal Himself to mankind would be fair as proof,"

So, you accept that "God" (or his representative) revealed 'himself' to Abraham, Moses and Paul of Tarsus just because those guys *said* so. Do you also accept that "God" (or his representative) revealed 'himself' to Mohammad? Joseph Smith? Jim Jones? David Koresh? Warren Jeffs?... and a long list of others. They have all *said* so too.

January 22, 2012 at 6:34 pm |
    • Observer

Sorry Eric, I thought you had gone. The difference is in that God predates (for want of a better term) time, logic, and natural order. In fact God originates these things. He originated the first thing, causality and the first cause. Axiomatic systems were not possible before this and neither was any evidentialist system. To try to include God in such a system, that is, to require evidence for God, is to try to constrain him in ways that he was not originally constrained – we would require him to have to have been caused or evidenced before these things were possible. If he is constrained to causality now, then he is unlike, and less than, what he was in the beginning. If he is so constrained, we could ask for evidence of him based on his membership in some causal chain. But then, there is no evidence of any such constraint on God.

January 22, 2012 at 7:07 pm |
    • Yvan

that all Christian men are priests of God. ..and like lnivig stones be yourselves built into a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's own people, that you may declare the wonderful deeds of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. 2 Pe. 2:5 & 9.Jesus became the sacrifice once and for all, therefore no more Priests are necessary as a go-between between us and God. There is not supposed to be an hierarchy, nor is there supposed to be an authority that tells Christians that they're unable to discern the Bible without them. This is all wrong according to the Bible.What the New Testament does say is that He gives gifts to each of us, and talents, to be used accordingly. Some are teachers, etc. but we are each to study to show thyself approved. Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth . 2 Tim. 2:15.I'll end with this: For the kingdom of God is not food and drink but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit; he who thus serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men.Let us then pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding. Rom. 14:17-19.p.s. About the Priest that came to speak with me~ it wasn't a bad experience at all and I didn't intend it to appear that way. It is just something I remembered when I read Robin's post. As I said, I think it was more of a not so good thing for him perhaps. I wish I could remember who he was, I would love to speak with him again today. Not to argue, but to fellowship in Christ.

March 2, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
  3. Ancient Curse

One kid makes one video, and it's such a huge threat to some of the folks posting here... Says a lot about your faith, that it can be so easily shaken. Go burn a book.

January 22, 2012 at 1:14 pm |
  4. BL

Religion is the enemy of spirituality. Religion is about dogma, ritual, hierarchy and mythology. Spirituality is about the immediate, the beauty of and unity with the Eternal that's always right here and now, not in some indeterminate future that doesn't exist. Jesus was a simple teacher of how to be one with God but most of what he actually taught is either misinterpreted or totally scorned. To the fundamental truth he gifted us was added layers of facade that are impermanent and meaningless, driving us away, not toward God.

January 22, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
    • apostate

The religion of Jesus was Judaism. That is what he practiced and preached with his own spin.

January 22, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
  5. One one

This vid should be re-named to: "I love religion but pretend to hate it because that's what hip for young Christians to do now"

January 22, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
    • apostate

Exactly.

January 22, 2012 at 12:36 pm |
  6. dawn

I love this.

January 22, 2012 at 11:51 am |
  7. James

Perhaps this will help me understand. Lets try a little hypothetical experiment.

Lets say that you are in a room with a big box. In that box is indisputable, demonstrative evidence that either proves or disproves the existence of god. Would you look in the box?

January 22, 2012 at 11:38 am |
    • One one

Absolutely, yes.

January 22, 2012 at 11:59 am |
    • Oh Yeah

As an atheist, absolutely yes. Proof is all we ask for.

January 22, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
    • Bizarre

Nice hypothetical. I like it.

Of course I would look, but I would like to know how we would know that it is "indisputable evidence"? If a Christian set up the box, there might just be a picture of a baby in there... or a crucifix... or a Bible. If the box is empty, is that disproof?... there might be microscopic stuff in there. Is there a complicated mathematical formula in there that I would have to rely on an expert to explain?

Nice thought experiment, though. I can imagine that many believers would be loath to peek, since their faith and fantasy are the bedrock of their beliefs. If they have a whit of honesty in them, they must know that there is a mammoth possibility that they are not correct.

January 22, 2012 at 1:03 pm |
    • Eric G

I find it interesting that, no matter how many times I post this question, I cannot get any who claim to be "true believers" to engage.

The closest to an answer I have ever received was a denial of the validity of the experiment because "there can be no evidence that proves god exists." Strange that a believer will believe in a god without evidence but cannot grasp the concept of a hypothetical question.

January 22, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
    • Teeby

Before looking ask yourself this.. What good is proof? All of you think it equals truth. It does not. If something can be proved here on earth, but on the moon, for some reason the proof falls apart, what would that mean? You see, your logic and proof only applies to earth, its not universal.. So why keep asking for proof of god when proof itself changes all the time?

January 22, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
    • Eric G

@Teeby: "What good is proof"?
      Proof is an accepted reality acheived when supporting evidence of a theory becomes demonstrative. For example, the earth is a sphere. We have evidence that supports this theory that is testable and verifiable.

Is your post saying that one does not need to satisfy the burden of proof that arrises from there claims?

Please provide an example of any other aspect of your life that you accept without evidencial support, besides your belief in your god.

January 22, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
    • Ironicus

Hi Eric G! Long time no see!
      These are gullible people you are talking to – they already believe what other people tell them and swallow it whole.
      Asking for proof is wasting your time, but it can be fun at times.
      Most of them do not understand the idea of proof beyond what a preacher would say – which is not proof at all unless you are one of the delusional idiots.
      Maybe if you were to frame it in a religious way you would get more responses.

January 22, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
  8. Proofs and Logic

google Hate Religion, But Love Jesus – Muslim Version

January 22, 2012 at 11:26 am |
    • Rafael

Scott Kelby can not win the praise of the British euacbse he has never been here..-= Kevin Baileyb4s last blog .. =-.

March 4, 2012 at 12:23 am |
  9. John

Atheists and believers alike should stop attacking each other over this video. The guy is an idiot. He just wanted a viral video. He might as well be talking about the difference between donuts and donut holes. It doesn't matter to him. It's clear from the video that he just wanted a controversial subject that he figured would go viral. Everyone needs to calm down.

January 22, 2012 at 11:22 am |
    • Oh Yeah

No, sadly there are a lot of people who are buying into this whole 'relationship, and not a religion' spin. It's growing and, ironically, becoming organized. 20 years from now this kid's children will have another version of Jesus to embrace, and the debate will continue.

January 22, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
    • Jesus said...

"Ye shall know them by their fruits."

The best test of anyone proclaiming to be righteous is to see if what they produce is pure, edifying and spiritually edible, or whether it's nothing more than inedible garbage made to smell and look good to the undiscerning.

January 22, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
    • moonster

John, please...atheists well most of them are attention wh*res, no wonder they make such a big fuss.

January 22, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
    • mr. Magoooooooooo

@ Moonster Atheists are the attention wh0res? Really? Don't you have a zygote to march for somewhere?

January 22, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
    • moonster

mr. Magoooooooooo don't you have to go urinate on someone's beliefs? Typical.

January 22, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
  10. moonster

Why doesn't anyone check their facts like the kid in the video. Wars that involved religion is less than 7% of all wars throughout history. Granted 7% is a sad fact, but compared to other causes it is minute.

January 22, 2012 at 11:02 am |
    • Eric G

Can you provide a reference for your statistics?

January 22, 2012 at 11:04 am |
    • Mike

necessary vs sufficient condition would contribute to that sort of argument

January 22, 2012 at 11:18 am |
    • Oh Yeah

Most wars are fought over resources, but differences in ideology with the other guy is what rallies one people against the other, and religious differences are the most powerful ideological differences in which to exploit. This is why the religious wars tended to be the bloodiest in history.

January 22, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
  11. Nick

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbaGg5xNjT8[/youtube]

January 22, 2012 at 10:49 am |
    • Ironicus

Very well said!

January 22, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
  12. Bonnie

Please don't confuse "religion" with worship. True worshiip of God means absolute obedience to Him and His word, as demonstrated perfectly by his only-begotten Son, Jesus Christ. If we were all living in obedience to God, there would be no confusion; we would have perfect harmony in knowing and living the truth. There is great peace and joy in knowing the truth; why not search for it? James 1:5 tells us we can ask God directly for wisdom and receive it, if done with respect.

January 22, 2012 at 10:00 am |
    • Eric G

So, are you saying that "faith" is a path to "truth"?

January 22, 2012 at 10:29 am |
    • Bonnie

Ahh, Eric G....you've almost got it. Howver, Truth is the path to faith. Faith is absolute trust in Almighty God by means of proving His word to be absolutely true. God tells us to do this. The only people who do not know God are the ones who have never sought Him. Mathew 7:7, "Keep on asking and it WILL be given you; keep on seeking, and you WILL find, keep on knocking, and it WILL be opened to you. " (The "keep on" part shows that sincerity of heart is required)

January 22, 2012 at 10:47 am |
    • Eric G

I am not sure I understand what you are saying.....

January 22, 2012 at 10:59 am |
    • One one

There are many ways to be wrong. There is only one way to be right. The scientific method is the only way to truth. Everything else is conjecture. We see that science works every time we turn on the lights.

January 22, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
    • Oh Yeah

Wouldn't 'religion' be the set of rules and norms considered proper for worship? Funny, I don't see any independent forms of worship coming out of this whole 'relationship' movement. Within this guy's own circle people are still all doing the same things while worshipping God, probably closely conforming to what the Bible outlines, so there are still rules. Rules mean religion, simple as that.

January 22, 2012 at 12:36 pm |
    • mr. Magoooooooooo

Yet what is "Truth" for you are NOT truths for millions upon millions of others. Your mind-state is antiquated and impractical. To adhere to a set of ideals created by MEN thousands of years ago shows how irrational and undeveloped your stance is. That is TRUTH.

January 22, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
  13. J

Belief in Jesus is religion. You are religious you believe in a particular thing, Jesus that can't be proven by science. That is religion. You are no better than anybody, as long as you know better than others then you are religious. Btw when dd Jesus make you his spokesman? You are as scary as the rest ou know what Jesus wants.

January 22, 2012 at 9:41 am |
    • Teeby

"jesus that cant be proven by science".. Really? So your entire logic path exists around proof? You do know the majority of things we hold as facts cannot be proven right? Like love, evolution, proof itself changes (i can prove 2+2=4 and we know its true but guess what, in other parts of space math cannot exist, it falls apart.. So how is that "proof" valuable?

January 22, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
    • Eric G

@Teeby: Your post brings up an interesting challenge. I think I can provide more verifiable evidence to support the hypothesis that love exists than you can to support the hypothesis that your god exists.

Before we begin, please outline a definition of "Love" and of your "God". Once we establish what will prove existence of each, we can start presenting our supporting evidence for verification.

Also, please explain where in space "math breaks down".

January 22, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
  14. SouthernGal

man, this video is on point. when you get to a place where its just you and God, you realize that He's all you need. good for you, Jefferson!

January 22, 2012 at 9:35 am |
    • J

You know, the most dangerous words in the human language!

January 22, 2012 at 9:48 am |
  15. Luke

Everyone who is debating please stop using absolutes it just makes you sound stubborn and closed off to new opinions. Instead acknowledge that you don't know for certain but this is what you believe.

January 22, 2012 at 9:33 am |
    • J

But you know for certain Jesus existed, what he did, what he looks like. Sorry until you do a full study of theology you know nothing. I know believe in Jesus or die. Jesus came to rid the world of ritual so belief in Jesus dying for your sins as a way to salvation is anti Christian doctrine.

January 22, 2012 at 9:45 am |
    • J

Sorry Luke my comment was meant to go elsewhere. Cant argue with yours.

January 22, 2012 at 9:47 am |
  16. Bonnie

And if YOUR church is teaching the lie that Jesus is part of a 3-headed god-ghost, better known as the "trinity" YOUR church is FALSE also. We all know that Satan wants us to disrespect and dishonor our Almighty God. What do we call people here on earth with multiiple personalities? We call them crazy, insane. Therefore, Satan has quite a sick sense of humor, doesn't he? Get the truth: Study Jesus' teachings and you will know him AND his and our Father, in truth.

January 22, 2012 at 9:04 am |
    • Eric G

You are unwise to call other religions false when you have not satisfied your own burden of proof.

Please provide any verifiable evidence that your god exists. To make claims of knowledge regarding actions and desires of your god without providing proof of existence is illogical and childlike.

January 22, 2012 at 9:15 am |
    • Bonnie

Ok, Eric G. Let's start with creation itself. Ever heard of the "Big Bang Theory"? Please go to the NASA website for the scientifically proven facts. If you read the first chapter of Genesis in the Bible (written approx 3,500 years ago) God is speaking to a primitive people, using picture words for understanding. When he speaks of waters he is speaking of hydrogen, when speaking of the "expanse" he is speaking of the heavens and the universe. If you want to know the truth, please do this study; it will be well worth your time.

January 22, 2012 at 9:25 am |
    • Luke

You are trying to stretch Genesis to coincide with scientifically proven facts??

January 22, 2012 at 9:38 am |
    • Eric G

I am sorry Bonnie, but you still have not provided any evidence that your god exists. You attempt to use a variable (god) that has not been established as fact. Without satisfaction of this burden of proof, your hypothesis of creation is without a verifiably factual foundation.

Again, I ask you to please provide verifiable evidence that your god exists. Once you have provided this evidence, it will be tested with the same scrutiny that the big bang theory has had to endure. If your evidence can prove the existence of your god, we can then discuss your hypothesis as to the actions and abilities of that god.

Without this proof, your hypothesis is not valid.

January 22, 2012 at 10:27 am |
    • Bonnie

Eric G, it is obvious that you didn't even attempt to explore the facts at NASA regarding the Big Bang information on creation; the questions of what powered the big bang. Sadly, the truth is lost on some. You obviously are not interested in the truth or you would do the research on your own instead of asking someone else to do it for you. Laziness will paralyse you.

January 22, 2012 at 10:36 am |
    • Eric G

Hello again Bonnie! Thank you for the spirited conversation this morning.

I did review your reference. Unfortunately, I found no mention of the actions of your god in the information you referenced. I did see a few "we just don't know yet" comments, which is understandable. Your argument is called the "God of gaps" position. You have reached the end of your ability to understand the evidence and data which proves it as fact, and inserted your unknown variable (god) to fill in the gaps in your understanding. This is an intellectually dishonest position. To insert your god as a variable in your hypothesis, your god must be a verifiable and testable constant.

I have followed your suggestion. Now, I ask you for the third time.

Please provide verifiable evidence that your god exists. Our conversation on the validity of the big bang or creation theories can continue once you have established that your god, in fact, exists. Please do not dodge the question again.

January 22, 2012 at 10:53 am |
    • mr. Magoooooooooo

Multiple personality disorder is not the mark of an insane person... An insane person subscribes to an idea designed by people who lacked any scientific knowledge. Galileo was called a heretic, but it turned out he was just intelligent. Which is something the church detests.

January 22, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
  17. Reality

Having trouble deleting God/Jesus/YouTube evangelicals from your neurons? A quick and enjoyable solution !!

Watch Julia Sweeney's monologue "Letting Go Of God"

Buy the DVD or watch it on Showtime. Check your cable listings.

from http://www.amazon.com
    "Letting Go of God ~ Julia Sweeney (DVD – 2008)

Five Star Rating

January 22, 2012 at 8:58 am |
    • Teeby

No, just having trouble deleting these advertising links and videos from a discussion blog..

January 22, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
    • Reality

Actually, Julia Sweeney's "Letting Go of God" DVD is the 21st version of Jefferson's bible. And if you get Showtime it is free. Segments might also be on YouTube.

January 22, 2012 at 6:41 pm |
  18. Bonnie

Jefferson, you are almost correct. Yes, indeed, Jesus did come to earth to abolish FALSE religion; ie the FALSE church. If we read ALL of Jesus' teachings found at Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, we find that Jesus came to save the world, not to judge it. See Matthew 12:6, Jesus is speaking of himself, "But I tell you that something greater than the temple (church) is here."

January 22, 2012 at 8:57 am |
    • jdigilio

Bonnie . . . you quote the Bible so much. Does it not bother you for even a second that neither Jesus Christ nor any of the named Apostles so much as wrote a single word of those gospels? Have a care, dear.

January 22, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
    • Reality

JC's family and friends had it right 2000 years ago ( Mark 3: 21 "And when his friends heard of it, they went out to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself.")

Said passage is one of the few judged to be authentic by most contemporary NT scholars. e.g. See Professor Ludemann's conclusion in his book, Jesus After 2000 Years, p. 24 and p. 694.

Actually, Jesus was a bit "touched". After all he thought he spoke to Satan, thought he changed water into wine, thought he raised Lazarus from the dead etc. In today's world, said Jesus would be declared legally insane.

Or did P, M, M, L and J simply make him into a first century magic-man via their epistles and gospels of semi-fiction? Most contemporary NT experts after thorough analyses of all the scriptures go with the latter magic-man conclusion with J's gospel being mostly fiction.

Obviously, today's followers of Paul et al's "magic-man" are also a bit on the odd side believing in all the Christian mumbo jumbo about bodies resurrecting, and exorcisms, and miracles, and "magic-man atonement, and infallible, old, European/Utah white men, and 24/7 body/blood sacrifices followed by consumption of said sacrifices. Yummy!!!!

So why do we really care what a first century CE, illiterate, long-dead, preacher man would do or say?

January 22, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
  19. Reality

For the next YouTube, Twitter and FaceBook campaign:

How much money would the following save the US taxpayers ?:

Saving 1.5 billion lost Muslims:
    There never were and never will be any angels i.e. no Gabriel, no Islam and therefore no more koranic-driven acts of horror and terror

– One trillion dollars over the next several years as the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan will end.

– Eighteen billion dollars/yr to Pakistan will stop.

– Four billion dollars/yr to Egypt will end.

Saving 2 billion lost Christians including the Mormons:
    There were never any bodily resurrections and there will never be any bodily resurrections i.e. No Easter, no Christianity!!!

– The Mormon empire will now become taxable as will all Christian "religions" and non-profits since there is no longer any claim to being a tax-exempt religion.

– Saving 15.5 million Orthodox followers of Judaism:
    Abraham and Moses never existed.

– Four billion dollars/yr to Israel saved.

– All Jewish sects and non-profits will no longer be tax exempt.

January 22, 2012 at 8:05 am |
  20. misty

JeanV

Books, preacher, movies etc are a form of listening. So when one is still and listening – to what are they listening????

January 22, 2012 at 8:05 am |
    • Bonnie

misty, hopefully, they are "listening" to Jesus in his word given to him by his and our God and Father found at Matthew, Mark, Luke and John in the Holy Bible. See John 18:37, Jesus is speaking, "....For this I have been born and for this I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone that is on the side of the truth LISTENS to me."

January 22, 2012 at 9:09 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52
About this blog