home
RSS
January 19th, 2012

'Hate religion, love Jesus' video goes viral

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - With so many atheists coming out of the closet, it’s not difficult to imagine a video decrying religion racking up millions of hits on YouTube.

But a video along those lines has been viewed 15 million times and liked more than a quarter-million times since it was posted on January 10, featuring an enthusiastic young Christian from Washington state.

[youtube= http://youtu.be/1IAhDGYlpqY]

“What if I told you Jesus came to abolish religion?” 22-year-old Jefferson Bethke says in the video, reciting a spoken word poem he wrote. “What if I told you getting you to vote Republican really wasn’t his mission?”

“I mean if religion is so great, why has it started so many wars?” he says later. “Why does it build huge churches but fail to feed the poor?”

Bethke's video is emerging as a symbol for many young evangelical Christians who are calling themselves “followers of Jesus” rather than overtly identifying with institutional Christianity. Many of the country's fastest-growing churches are nondenominational.

“Religion is man-centered,” Bethke writes in a post accompanying his YouTube video. “Jesus is God-centered.”

In the video, Bethke talks about what he calls his own spiritual rebirth, saying he went from being a self-righteous religious person to an admittedly deeply broken believer.

The video has provoked an avalanche of response, including other YouTube videos, like "Why I hate religion but love Jesus, Muslim Version" and "Why I Dislike Your Poem, But Love God," which includes these lines:

I see where you’re coming from but there’s insanity in your vision
You overlook the fact that Christianity is religion
You’re like the van who claims to hate diets
Or astrophysicists who reject laws of science.

That response video has itself been viewed 390,000 times. Not bad.

Many religious bloggers echoed that video’s criticism on Bethke, alleging he’s trumpeting tenets of Christianity while purporting to blast organized religion. Critics called Bethke’s take on religion overly simplistic and dangerous.

“Anyone who does just a little digging on Bethke's YouTube channel or on Google will quickly learn that this young poet is a conservative Christian and member of the Mars Hill Church led by controversial pastor Mark Driscoll,” writes Patheos blogger Brian Kirk, a Missouri-based pastor. “All this seems to me an odd résumé for one who lambastes organized religion.”

Yet Kirk marvels at the national conversation that Bethke has provoked around deep questions:

Certainly one can agree or disagree with Bethke's take on religion but it's difficult not to admire the way he has stirred up those of us who may have been slumbering comfortably in our own faith without really thinking about why we do what we do. Some times the best way to wake up a sleeping giant is to poke it with a stick and Bethke has done just that.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity

soundoff (3,716 Responses)
  1. VinoBianco

Why dont people say that saying that you hate religion but "love god" IS religion – assuming you know what "god" is enough to "love" him/it is assuming you know things about the unknowable = RELIGION! TRUE lack of religion is being agnostic.

January 20, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
  2. palintwit

Everytime I think of Sarah Palin, I think of teabaggers. Everytime I think of teabaggers, I think of nascar. Everytime I think of nascar, I think of assault rifles. Everytime I think of assault rifles, I think of trailer trash. Everytime I think of trailer trash, I think of Sarah Palin. Every time I think of Sarah Palin, I think of......

January 20, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
    • toxictown

off topic but...LOL

January 20, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
  3. Joe T.

Religion is the biggest scam ever invented.

January 20, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
    • NoMansLandd

Capitalism might be the biggest scam mankind has created.

January 20, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
    • Anon

And politics too.

January 20, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
    • Joe T.

At least politics and capitalism have actual proof of existing. Are they a scam? Yup, but religion is based on something non-existent.

I should retract my statement though. Government run based off religion is the biggest scam ever.

January 20, 2012 at 12:57 pm |
    • Dan, TX

It is funny to hear a capitalist complain about capitalism. We are all capitalists. Every union worker is a capitalist selling his labor and attempting to increase the price he can charge for his labor by creating a larger unit of labor to bargain with. Union workers are pure capitalists. It is amusing to hear republicans bash labor when they are trying to pursue capitalism. So, we know republicans believe there is 'good' capitalism and 'bad' capitalism.

January 20, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
  4. D. Green

Religion exists because mankind fears death, and so badly feels a need to know who created us. Since there is absolutley no proof of an afterlife, or of a God, we have invented stories in order to find comfort. People want to believe so badly that they are willing to treat others not as they would like to be treated, but as something worse, or even kill. That's how strong the pull is to so many. Is there a God? Nobody knows, but one has to question why a God would sit back and allow human suffering for all this time. It doesn't make sense.

January 20, 2012 at 12:20 pm |
    • Anon

The Abrahamic god of the three desert blood cults is an obvious farce. As for a unknown deistic higher power? Don't know and don't care since I'm completely apathetic about it.

January 20, 2012 at 12:24 pm |
    • nah

d.green: "Since there is absolutley no proof of an afterlife, or of a God, we have invented stories in order to find comfort."

Not very knowledgeable about history, philosophy or science, eh?

Whether you believe the proofs for the existence of a god or not, merely ignoring them, or refusing to acknowledge their strength, is incredibly dishonest.

January 20, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
    • NoMansLandd

I hear and read this quite often. If God is omnipotent and all good, then why is there "bad" or "evil" in the world?

When was there NO bad in the world? Who said this life is going to be perfect all of the time? No one.

IMO, Because mankind has freewill, God allows the "bad" to happen; God allows mankind to choose to be good or bad.

Mankind is self destructive. To have faith in a being that is not in plain sight is the most brilliant reality has to offer.

January 20, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
    • toxictown

NoMansLandd: When was there no bad in the world? When there was no people in the world. There is no evil in nature, it is a purely human construct and endeavor.
      Nah: what proofs are you referring to?

January 20, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
    • D. Green

Nah,

Regardless of my level of understanding of history, science, or philosophy, which I understand offers insight to "Godly" matters, there still is lacking a proof of God. History offers stories but no proof. Science, I grant you, allows for indisputable theory (e.g. gravity), but does not offer proof of a living God. Philosophy offers interesting insight, but simply conjecture. I find our world miraculous in many ways. I don't deny that just being alive is miraculous, but it offers no proof in God and certainly not at all in heaven. Can you explain why a God would allow human suffering?

January 20, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
    • Anon

Philosophical theology is useless mental gymnastics.

January 20, 2012 at 12:36 pm |
    • NoMansLandd

D. Green, one "reason" why God allows human suffering is because nothing in this life is mortal, everything is fragile, life, human beings are the most sophisticated species on this planet, yet we easily perish via illness, disease, ect.

I think maybe you're meaning to ask DEATH why it comes for us rather than "Why does God allow human suffering"...

January 20, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • NoMansLandd

*immortal, mankind and love is mortal..

January 20, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • Joe T.

@toxictown there is evil in nature. Dolphins have been known to kill for no reason other than to just kill.

January 20, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
  5. Jesus_is_HUMAN_NOTGOD

There is None Worthy of Worship, except GOD alone. God is One. He doesnt have a Son, He doesnt have a father. He is perfect. He has no need to procreate. All Depend on Him, and He depends on NONE. There is none like GOD.
    Jesus was a Prophet of God. Jesus was not the Son of God, Jesus was not God. Moses was a prophet of god. Moses was not the Son of God. Abraham was a prophet of God, not God. Muhammad was the last prophet of God. Muhammad came with the Quran, the Final Testament and speech from God. Read it and do your research.

January 20, 2012 at 12:20 pm |
    • Dan, TX

yeah, but the Christians don't quite believe that. Christians actually don't know what Jesus was. Was he God, was he the son of God, was he human? Seems that he's all three different things all at the same time. So, it is a paradox. Christians do NOT believe that there is God the Father, and Jesus a separate God who is the son of God, there is only one God. Not two. But Christians don't seem to understand how to explain it so, not surprisingly Muslims get confused about Christians and think that Christians actually believe in more than one true God. But that's not true.

January 20, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
    • truesoy

Oh yes, the Koran. Isn't that almost an exact copy of the Old Testament?, or that has so many old testaments like writings that makes one wonder.
      But I do have a question for all the religious people here:
      Q) why is it that all these 'prophets' had visions of God, or God's messengers, most times in the middle of the night, and when no one else is around? You'd think that if God had a message for all of us that, he'll tell us all and not just one person in secret.
      So, here we are believing whatever story there is in a 'holy book' written based on the account of one person that none of us knew, but had an apparition in the middle of the night to get to do something. Good...so lets say, for example that your neighbor,whom you known for years, knocks on your door a 4 in the morning all excited because an 'apparition'he had while laying on his bed.
      What would you do, kiss your wife goodbye and run out the door with him? No, you wouldn't. But you will do it for somebody you never knew, from 700 – 2000 years ago. Then why not for your neighbor; at least you know him, right?

Sincerely,
      Truesoy

January 20, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
    • Jesus_is_HUMAN_NOTGOD

Dear Truesoy,
      In reponse to your question:
      First, before you understand the concept of Prophets and Messengers, you first have to acknowledge that God does exist and that this universe and all that it contains couldnt have happened by accident. If a computer progammer is needed to design a simple website like cnn, then of course God was necessary to program this entire universe which is way more complicated. Once you get to the point that GOD does exist, then you need to understand that GOD is ONE. There cant be more than one GOD, because if there was, then who makes the final decision. Its illogical for there to be more than one GOD. Now that you get to the point that GOD is ONE, then you have to understand that GOD is perfect, and free from imperfections. He wouldnt have created us humans without giving us any guidance or without giving us rules to live our life by. He sent us guidance through prophets and messengers. The prophets and messengers came with profound MIRACLES at their time and it was publicly witnessed. Thus the people of that time were convinced of their messengership and the books that the messengers came with. However, God has stopped sending prophets after the last prophet Muhammad because GOD says so himself in the last holy book, the QURAN. Thus is your neighbor comes to you with a vision, he cant be a prophet because GOD already stated that there wont be anymore prophets and your neighbor for surely wont be performing any miracles anything like the prophets did. Also, in reponse to your comment about the Quran being similar to the previous testaments: Yes it is similar because GOD Sent down a final preserved religion in the Quran, whereas the BIBLE has been tampered with and many different versions exist and many parts taken out in history. The Quran is the only book that is still intact from the past 1400+ years ago since it was revealed. It is memoried by millions all over the world from front to back.

January 20, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
  6. cj

The man makes a great point that i wish many more of us would see. You dont need to agree in with the god he believe in to see the hypocrisy in the way man has created their religions and interpreted any texts they beleive were passed down by divinity.

January 20, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
  7. Rumi

You know, I'm an atheist. I'm a proud parent of 8 awesome children. I get up in the morning and go to work. I put in my time to feed, cloth, and nurture my family. I pay my taxes. I have friends of all races and colors, height and weight, old and young. Rather than church on a Sunday, my family and I will go donate time making food for those less fortunate. I go to the movies, I read books, I play a video game or two. I avoid extremes in either direction. I do the same normal things each of you do.

So why all this banter about proving/disproving?

I believe the message universally is the same, regardless of religious belief. Don't push your agenda either way. Take the truths you have inside of you. Please don't waste time hating each other, and invest more time benefiting those around us. I'm sure I will upset someone, and this desire to continue to push our ideals over each other will continue. But maybe one day, generations from now, we won't abuse each other over personal beliefs. There are so many more important things in life to fuss over. Zealots and fanatics will always exist and seek out to hurt others, regardless of the outlet.

I am an atheist. But I wish each person good health, long life, and a peaceful death.

January 20, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
    • ModernMan

You are one of the most level-headed and reasonable people I have seen post... ever. I guess having 8 kids molds you into a pretty accepting human. I appreciate you, and your comments, more than you may know. Cheers.

January 20, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
    • JA

Amen my brother!

Even though we might have different beliefs, you hit it right on the nose!

Peace.

January 20, 2012 at 12:24 pm |
    • J-Pap

Right on.

January 20, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
    • Alfonzo Muchanzo

While I'm a Christian, your message is spot on, and frankly kinda what Jesus was getting to. But I digress, solid post and good health/life to you also my friend 🙂 Cheers!

January 20, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
    • Dan, TX

I'm also an atheist and have a very similar point of view. Some people can't imagine a universe without a god, that's fine with me, I can't imagine a universe with one. But there's no reason in the world we need to argue about who is right or wrong, no human will ever know.

January 20, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
    • D. Green

You are a good and wise person. But people are fragile and need to hold on to something such as God and Heaven. Not everybody can accept life as you do. I am in your camp. I'm not exactly an atheist, but I don't believe in organized religion. I simply don't know what's out there. There is a switch, I suppose. It is either switched to where you can believe these things (the Bible, etc) or you do not. It doesn't make you a good OR a bad person either way, but society is not ready to give atheists credit for being decent people. An atheist could never be President, not anytime soon, if ever. Religion has too firm a grasp on our fragile beings. Great message you sent!

January 20, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
    • LaLa

Thank you. I am a Catholic, but it looks like the only differences btwn the two of us is that I do go to Church on Sunday morning. My choice & I don't push it on anyone. I also don't want anyone pushing their beliefs on me. Jesus was a humanist first – he wanted people to care for each other. That's the path to peace in this life and (if you believe in it) in the next.

January 20, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
    • Angel1988

Don't we all wish for the day people stop forcing their personal beliefs on other... I know I do...

January 20, 2012 at 12:36 pm |
    • Mike

While your post is definitely level-headed and what many of us (religious or not) would agree with, there are too many (often sparked by the media) that make too many strict associations. Any form of morals, ethics, or values "offends" someone because they associate them with relgious teachings. Either that or if someone is "religious" (or non-religious depending on the audience) somehow their idea is not valid because noone can see past the religious association. Tim Tebow is the perfect example. He is obviously a very religious man who resists the temptation of society to convert him into a pop-culture/Hollywood worshipper. He is polite and genuine, and whether you're religous or not, he gets attacked with accusations of "pushing his religion" on everyone. Not once have I heard him chastise anyone else or make statements "pushing" anything on anyone. He is free to make religious references just like an atheist does (frequently). Many people now consider atheism a "religion" in that they band together around beliefs just like any other one does. Everyone needs to stop rejecting standards of behavior because of wrongful strict association of religion. There are many slogans, mottos, laws, etc. in the U.S. that say "God" in them. There are plenty more that don't. Therefore, the religious and non-religious are both acting poor when they constantly push to make everything follow their beliefs.

January 20, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
    • Lorraine

Thanks. As a Christian with many atheist/agnostic friends, I know that there can be useful and productive discussion about beliefs and religion. Sometimes it gets me down to see so many inflammatory comments saying that everyone in my belief system is "hateful" "weak minded" "believes in fairy tales" "is a joke" etc. If someone said that to my face, it would end the discussion all together and prevent any sharing of views. The internet seems to be the place for punching Christians (and anyone with a different view from the commenter) in the face.

January 20, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
  8. John C

This is the same as saying: "I hate Dragons... But I love Unicorns!"

January 20, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
    • jellylee2020

And your comment is about as intelligent as a village idiot.

January 20, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
    • cj

No it isn't.

It's like saying 'I love America' and 'I hate what politicians are doing to America'.

January 20, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
    • Kenneth

Awesome post, its so true, and it made me laugh.

January 20, 2012 at 12:24 pm |
  9. Ryan M.

What should be obvious is that this man is espousing Deism. He wants a "personal relationship" but doesn't know his partner, except that his partner is "God." It doesn't take much to figure out that the Deist is merely making up his/her own terms about God; they may come to those terms in somewhat of a logical way, but when you ask them the "hows" about their "faith," they seem to come back to the "personal relationship" they cannot articulate. This is also the root of Protestantism; if not for the words of Scripture, Protestants would all make up their understanding of God just like this young man. Anyone who has even studied the Bible in a cursory manner can see that Christ came to "fulfill, not abolish" (Mt. 5:17), and Christ taught about a variety of things his followers should do; otherwise, the Gospels would have simply read "The Torah is obsolete; go now, and live as you please."

Anyone who takes this fellow seriously isn't much of a Christian, anyway, and will probably be a non-believer within a matter of years; after all, Atheism is the logical conclusion of Deism.

January 20, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
    • jellylee2020

For your information, Bible is written by men, edited by men and abused by men. Religions are nothing more than human creations.

January 20, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
    • Alfonzo Muchanzo

He clearly states he believes in the Bible and sin. He doesn't say "go and do as you please." Jesus was clearly anti-establishment. He was still for practicing and following the laws, but didn't need to high priests and church to do so. That's what this guy is saying. Your self righteousness is showing, wasn't Jesus against that? Btw I'm Christian and think this message is spot on. He never tries to tell people not to beleive in Jesus or the Bible.

January 20, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
    • Bill Gilman

Ryan did you bother to watch the video? He knows the person he wants the relationship is and it is Jesus Christ. So, no, he is NOT espousing deism. He is denouncing denominations that bicker over crap and each say they are better than the other. And big churches that boast about being big but dont address social problems like homelessness.

January 20, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
    • Bill Gilman

JellyLee ... it was written by men but inspired by God. God spoke through those men.

January 20, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
    • jimtanker

Billy G,

And you have evidence of this? How do you know that it was devinely inspired?

January 20, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
    • Anon

Men with delusional minds is more like it.

January 20, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
    • Bill Gilman

Jim ... do you have evidence that it was not? Therefor, you are operating just as much on faith as i am. Why does it matter so much to you that God NOT exist. C.S. Lewis, an atheist and a man infinitely smarter than you or I, tried to debunk Christianity and would up, through research and reasoned deduction, that it was Truth. His conclusions actually disappointed him and he called himself the "most miserable convert in Christendom."

January 20, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
  10. NickZadick

I think there are WAY more atheists than people imagine.. but when your family is all brainwashed already, most I think ,choose not to admit it and go to church to fit in! I am personnaly amazed that so many people still believe in fairy tales! In Québec, most churches are beign converted to condos because cold air seems to clear the mind of delusion apparantly!

January 20, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
    • Dan, TX

yes, of course that's true.

January 20, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
    • Bill Gilman

way more? like millions? as opposed to billions of those all over the globe who believe in God in one way or another ... all the hindus, christians, jews, muslims, etc

January 20, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
    • Lorraine

"brainwashing" "fairy tales" "delusion". If you believe these things about people who have strong beliefs in God, then I am not surprised you assume we all "just go to church to fit in". That is an unjust way to describe any group of people that you don't interact with on a regular basis.

January 20, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
  11. Mark H

Funniest by far are the Mormons and maybe the Scientologists. The latter are quite crazy and dangerous and the Mormons are so brainwashed you'd think they didn't just drink the Kool-Aid, but fell in a tub of it. My Mormon associates have so much food and supplies stocked in their basements for Armageddon it scares the heck out of me. If their false Prophet tells them to jump on one leg, they do it without question.

January 20, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
  12. Katie

if he truly was this non-denominational believer, then why love Jesus? Why not Jewish law, or the prophet Mohammed, or Buddha?

January 20, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
    • Alfonzo Muchanzo

Because Jesus is the Truth! 🙂

January 20, 2012 at 12:20 pm |
    • ModernMan

Hard to love Buddah with that "dickey-do"... ok, ok, sorry, just a joke. And as far as the "jewish law" you speak of.... Jesus IS a jew... knothead.

January 20, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
    • Bill Gilman

A "believer" has to "believe" in something .... believing in everything is the same as believing in nothing. Truth is non-negotiable.... like gravity. And the point he was making was that a personal relationship with Jesus means you dont need to follow any set of religious laws. And he is right. The Bible says it clearly .... as believers in Christ we are not bound by those laws and will not be judged if we violate them. This is because of mercy and grace. BUT, does this mean you just go do whatever you want? NO!!! Because you have been forgiven and because you have been shown grace it changes you inside ... and you dont want to abuse the privilige.

January 20, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
    • Bruce

It doesn't really matter what he believes, what you believe, what I believe, or by what name he calls this "Jesus" guy. The only thing that really matters is whether or not all that stuff about Jesus' death and resurrection is *true*.

The truth is not affected by our opinions, or by the inaccuracies of our beliefs. If all that stuff about Jesus is actually true and I don't believe a word of it, I am no less-saved by Jesus' actions. If all that stuff about Jesus is false and I believe every word of it, I am no-less not-saved by Jesus' inaction or even Jesus' non-existence.

People think WAY too much of themselves and of their opinions and thoughts. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter one whit...

January 20, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
  13. Angel

dont be so open minded that your brains fall out

This eternality of God is difficult to grasp, but if you own a torch (flashlight) and switch it on, then the beam of light from it is also eternal (what a fitting analogy – God and Light!).

January 20, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
    • NickZadick

Lay off the dope there! sorry to say your brain DID fall out!

January 20, 2012 at 12:20 pm |
    • Angel

sorry but your the one whos brains fell out sir

January 20, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
    • NickZadick

Indeed! I believe in science and reality...you believe in fantasy and myth... I am surely brainless!! it is also surely a coincidence that almost all the most brilliant scientists are atheists!! they are dumb as nails hein?

January 20, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
    • Bill Gilman

Really Nick?? You know the matter that exploded in the Big Bang? Who created it?
      And since historical date proves Jesus of Nazareth lived, your asessment of myth is totally false.

January 20, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
  14. larry5

All this talk is nonsense. Organized religion is a cash cow and will not go away. The profit margins are some of the best in business, taxes are low or nonexistent and the money laundering process is bullet proof. What's not to like. Organized religion's appeal is widespread from gold diggers, to pedophiles, to megalomaniacs. Those who support organized religion just won't be swayed away and those that don't believe won't be converted.

January 20, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
    • NickZadick

SPOT ON!!! organised religion was created by man to control the population... the fact that people still believe it after all the advancements in science...baffles me no end!!!

January 20, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
    • Bill Gilman

It's so fun when the college kids get on here ..... Christianity was not formed in the 20th century. Every aspect of Jesus' life has been historically proven. Now, organized religion may suck but that grew out of the truth. Jesus lived, died and rose again from the grave. He defeated death and took on our sin so that anyone who wants it can have a place in heaven.

January 20, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
  15. mike mcglynn

I would say that people who cann't fathom reality turn to imaginary gods. If you just don't comprendend facts; use your imagination for constructive purposes instead of comdeming those because they call you out. Most of the bible was coppied stories from over a thousand years ago. It is a book of silly, non-factual stories. Grow up and learn. May the clouds of ignorance blow away from your clouded mind.

January 20, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
    • Alfonzo Muchanzo

ummmmmm, no?

January 20, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
    • NickZadick

Alfonzo, you should try! mike is 100% correct!

January 20, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
    • Bill Gilman

Exactly which non-factual stories are you talking about. There is more historical data backing up the existance and life of Jesus than there is of Plato and Socrates.

January 20, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
  16. ModernMan

Before Constantine forced the religions to organize, there were many groups that would meet secretly to simply love Jesus and bring glory to God. THe reason we have churches today is because of some ugly business a long time ago. In case you are wondering, Constantine was also the one that carried out the destruction of Rome and all Romans... even going as far as to burn then salt the land so they couldn;t even grow crops. He was not a good dude.

January 20, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
    • Medicam

:BTW, I noticed the video on the Awake migazane. I was dog some reading a few days ago on microbes and evolution by Howard Bloom, and he points out that there is evolutionary significance in those fringe groups that warn us of disaster and extinction. It is most likely that sucg groups form naturally as a result to what they perceive as unchecked power that leads to widespread destruction. The Millerites, who failed in their prediction of the end of time , re-organized and became the Seventh Day Adventists. Jehovah's Witnesses were quite similar. If a group like this fails in their predictions, they are then forced to adapt to their wrong ideas and try to find a new meaning in which they are forced to deal with a reality they cannot change. This creates new options within a culture, and makes individuals more reactive to change, as they watch for anything that will support their new vision, using that to convert others. Notice that many fringe biblically oriented groups tend to be similar, even as the old WCG was very similar to SDAs and JWs, with many more breaking off that. If human brains are like body's cells, there is a natural point of specialization, in which new systems break away and form similar but slightly different branches, as cells in a body become fingers, feet, hands, etc. As Howard Bloom suggests in Global Brain we do actually seem to be part of an intelligence a bit higher than ourselves. That intelligence, however, seems to come from microbes, not God.

March 3, 2012 at 9:17 pm |
  17. Joseph Creagh

Brilliant!

January 20, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
  18. Thinkologoy

Let's look at the one line in this article. "Why does it build churches but fail to feed the poor." The Catholic church and Catholic Charities has been the number 1 caretaker of the poor and needy for decades. Billions of dollars have been donated to help the poor by us Catholics. No religion is 100% perfect, because it is run by man and man is imperfect, but we will always try to take care of the poor and needy.

January 20, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
    • NickZadick

While that is true.... you don't need to believe in sky fairies and ridiculous dogma to be charitable!

January 20, 2012 at 12:24 pm |
  19. John Holland

It's no wonder he disabled commtents on this video. This rheoric is no less rare, than it is disingenuous.

January 20, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
    • Anon

That's expected from christian apologists.

January 20, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
  20. The Lord Almighty

Super viral? We have a new level of "viral" now?

January 20, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
    • ModernMan

Next up... Super DUPER viral!

January 20, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
    • Barney

Then Super DEE-Duper Viral huh-HOOOO

January 20, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52
About this blog